It is rich and smooth and balanced in flavor and aroma. Stoved Virginia cake tobaccos bring depth to the rubbed out red matured Virginias in this pleasantly fruity, naturally spicy, fragrant all Virginia mixture.

Blended ByMcClelland

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Smooth, Mid Strength Flavor, * Ketchup Pouch Note, but it has a hint of a Bite

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend is in the three blend trio of McClelland Virginias that starts with;

1.Carolina Deluxe- More Aromatic Virginia. 2. Black and Lemon- smaller aromatic Virginia. 3.Fragrant Virginia Ribbon. The aromatic agent is only waved over the top of this blend like an extra dry martini.

Is this blend tasty? You betcha! It is Virginia sweet and even slighty smoky the way Provost is "kinda smoky" but it's only Virginias that are fooling you into thinking there is more to it. The ribbon cut is long and lucious with Pure Red Virginias and stoved smoky Virginias. The slight aromatic is just a tiny,tiny bit that just works so very well with this. Amazing blend here!

Update; This blend tastes like a whole tin of Virginia Flake was turned into ribbon.This blend has Nicotene contenet that to me is just right. Not to weak and not overpowering. Those that said this has no nic hit must have been smoking rope tobaccos. An excellent smoke!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a high quality pure Virginia, but almost tasteless, flat. slow burning, without the difficulties od the Flake or Plug cuts. the flavour and taste are very mild. Seems to be light in nicotine content, suggested for begginners and for people that enjoy pure tobaccos, but it will problaby not so good for fans of latakia or aromatic mixtures. It will be good for smokers that like pure Virginias, bu for me, pure Virginias are only for mix with other tobaccos. 3 stars for the quality of the mixture, but is not for me. All pure or almost pure virginias are flat!

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (81)

An unpleasant casing detracts from an otherwise inoffensive Virginia blend.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This review is based on a small sample. I liked what flavor I got, but in general, did not find this particular tobacco very flavorful. The stoved nature of the Virginias does help balance the blend and it's not as fatiguing to smoke as some of the other McClelland bulk VA, but that said, there's not much taste to the tobacco, and with that in mind, I can't really get enthusiastic about it. I will update this review if I change my opinion... I may need to try it in a wider range of briars.

I didn't get any tongue bite, but did find the back of my throat getting dry with a bit of a tickle on one large bowl smoked in a pot. It came rather moist in the pouch and required a good bit of drying to achieve a reasonable moisture level.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)

A pleasant, earthy, faintly musty taste is what greets me first with this blend. A mix of 5100 and a little 5105, I took a while to differentiate visually between a bag of 5100 and 5120. Midway through the bowl the earthiness has gone away and there's some spicy sweetness evident, albeit in a raw unpolished state. This tobacco cries out for ageing doesn't it. Doesn't yet convince me that it's a great tobacco blend, and yet hints that there is complexity waiting to develop. Towards the end of the bowl, the gurgle starts to appear and the smoky mustiness reappears as well. I can't say that I'm over impressed with this, as a freshly bought tobacco. My point of writing this review is really to record my impressions as it is now and then come back in say 6 months to compare it with the 1lb I've put away to age. I'm hoping the jarred tobacco will be a big improvement on this. If it's not I won't be buying anymore.

Update June 2008. I've bought a few more pounds of this and added 1 ounce of Perique to 1 lb of 5120. Makes quite a difference...smooths out the sweetness and adds some piquancy. Seemed to me that it also hid the mustiness as well. I like this mix very much. I have cellared several jars of this and have high hopes of it in a year or two.

Upgraded to 3 stars.

Country Gentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Country Gentleman (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I orignally purchased this thinking it contained perique. The first thing that really caught me was the pouch aroma and then I understood why everybody was using 'ketchup' in their descriptions - although I kept thinking 'steak sauce'. Packs well and burns consistently. Hits it's peak halfway through the bowl and I didn't have a problem with the ending going sour. I bought 2 ounces to try out. As I got towards the end of the pouch it seemed like it lost it's oomph - too much exposure to air? I would buy more but want to try 2015 next.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I liked this for what it was a good quality blend of virginias. It loaded up pretty easy and smoked like a charm all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It did not have the most flavor of other virginia blends I have tried, and that is why I would not rush out and buy more but would not turn down any offerings of this blend.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

The pouch aroma of this chunk/ribbon-cut mixture is typically earthy, fermented McClelland character.

Seemingly a mix of 5100 and 5105, the flavor is a mellow, even keeled, red and stoved virginia blend without the nuance of equivalent tinned mixtures.

5120 is a stable, companionable choice for those looking for a quality bulk blend.

Chamber Gauge: Medium

speckchaser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speckchaser (22)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A fine virginia,that brings a little spice to the palate.This is a wonderful blend in my opinion for aromatic smokers to expand their horizons.Taste can be a little monochromatic,however for a change of pace a wonderful tangy burst of flavor is emitted.Billowy clouds of smoke develop after some drying time,came a little moist when purchased.Also makes a wonderful blending tobacco to bring a little extra kick from the stoving to milder tobaccos.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

McClelland really has great bulk Virginias. This may not be as good as 2015, but it's still a terrific blend. This would be a great first Virginia for a smoker who had been smoking aromatics. It's dominated by the sweet stoved Virginia, and has a little unstoved red Virginia, as well. Finally there's a little fruity topping that works well with the base tobaccos. The burn is slow and even. I find that McClelland adds a little too much humectant to this one, but that's easily fixed with a little air time. 5120 ages well. Give it a try.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)

Where 5100 is a purist's tobacco--nothing but pure Virginia--5120 is deeper in flavor because of the addition of some stoved Virginia. A sweet natural smoke, undemanding and comfortable. Packs, lights and burns easily. It has become a favorite for evenings reading a book or just friendly conversation.

Another great McClelland Virginia blend.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Super Fresh Ketchup is how I describe this blend. After a day with this tobacco, the remaining 11 oz. was jarred. Don't get me wrong it was a-ok. The fragrance is the bag is overwhelmingly fruity. It has a fresher version of the signature McClelland aroma. I just found it to taste like an aromatic blend I used to buy at the mall tobacconist as a teen. A little too moist, and a little over the top for a person whose tastes have developed. I tried air drying, some time in the briar, and DGT to no avail. I usually like Red Va. We'll see what several mos. do. Like another reviewer mentioned. I like the component parts here, it just needs time to mellow. Will report back.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Due to reviews that I had already seen, I was a bit hesitant to try 5120. I have been in search of the nearest bulk equivalent to "Deep Hollow" for some time and had been pointed in the direction of 5120. After finally sampling some, I can tell you: this ain't "Deep Hollow". Whereas "DH" is, in my opinion, reminiscent of warm vanilla, I detect more of a fruity topping here. Whether this stuff (as well as "DH") is actually topped or cased, or if the fragrant aroma is due to the blending and aging processeses, I can't say for sure.

Despite being disappointed that I hadn't finally found the bulk version of one of my favourite tinned tobaccos, I can say that 5120 is quite good. I received a one-pound order of it, and the moisture content was perfect. After the initial charring light, one light was sufficient to take me to the bottom of the bowl. It is quite mild as far as the true tobacco aroma and flavour are concerned, and the topping is never overwhelming. I noticed that the second half of the bowl seemed to promise a deeper, richer tobacco experience than did the top half, although the fruitiness had evaporated by this point. What was left behind in the room was a warm, rich, slightly sweet aroma that many people associate with pipe smoking.

I would recommend this tobacco without hesitation. I am somewhat disappointed that I didn't find "Deep Hollow In A Bag", but I refuse not to judge this blend on its own merits. It's no Rattray or Dunhill blend (I find most Dunhills to be overrated), but it's a winner in my book anyway.

09.11.2005

After aging what's left of my 5120, I find that the sharpness of the fruity essence has dissipated somewhat and that the tobacco itself promises a richer, deeper flavour and aroma. I don't think I've ever known of a tobacco to benefit so much from being left alone for several months.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I received a sample of this from Tobacco Direct.com along with my bulk order of 5100. I chucked it off to the side and kind of forgot about it for a week or so. I found it in my tobacco drawer and thought I would take it to work, where aeromatics are appreciated by my co-workers. I just finished another bowl of it and had several co-workers comment that it smelled really good and why don't I smoke it more often (they don't care for my full latakia weed).

I have to say, I don't find this to be an aeromatic (though I thought it would be from the name "fragrant"). I actually really enjoy it as a sweet treat and a departure from my regular blends. I may even order some in bulk to keep on hand. Good quality virginia and natural sweetness, plus a pleasing room note for the folks around you. Not a bad combination at all.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend of red, black stoved and a hint of golden VAs has many of the characteristics of another McClelland "fragrant" bulk blend, #2000 Matured Cake. Both are exceptionally moist on receipt which leads to extra work to find the proper drying time. The pouch aromas are fruity/sweet and room aromas well accepted by most non-smokers. If you're smoking more for your company's benefit, this might be a good choice of a non-aromatic VA. Although this one smoked cool and without bite, I prefer the #2000 over this ribbon cut due to the more uniform and slower burning properties. However, neither has enough punch for other than early AM smoke.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have not played with McC's bulk virginia's much, but I enjoy this one. It burns well across a wide spectrum of temperature ranges, indoors and out. The longer it ages, the more exquisite it becomes, perfect for those long solitary walks in mother nature. Recommended to one and all, but do sip it slowly, as it deserves your attention.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A nicely mottled red and black Virginia blend with the occasional flash of lighter leaf. A very slight Vanilla/fruit pouch aroma accompanies the love-it-or-hate-it McClelland vinegar essence (I love it). Not too sticky or moist. The topping does not come through to the flavor, the room aroma is only slightly different from straight tobacco. This is not an aromatic. On the plus side, it smokes cool, evenly, and with nice thick smoke. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a lot of flavor. More than #2000 and #2050 mind you, and what you can taste is nice. The slight tongue tingle doesn't morph into zest, the mid-level shows some hints of chocolate-like smoothness but never goes anywhere. DGT very slightly enhances the flavors and sweetness, but not enough for my taste. This would be a nice blending tobacco, and perhaps a nice starter Virginia for the new smoker.

Uisqebaugh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uisqebaugh (3)

Many reviewers knock this blend, but I find it to be absolutely delightful.

One might be tempted to attribute this to different taste buds in the reviewers, but I think there's another reason. If I smoke this blend in a briar, it's boring and bland. But if I smoke this in a clay pipe, I find that the naturally sweet notes stand out and politely tickle my taste buds with zest.

It is somewhat moist, but this can be corrected either by letting it dry, or just being patient.

Like all pure virginia blends, this does demand some respect. If you smoke it to rapidly, you will receive tongue bite. But if you gently sip upon its nectars, you'll have a wonderful experience.

Your views may vary. I'd love to know what experiences others have with this in a meer.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

5120 is a mostly dark wiry and fairly wet ribbon cut with almost no scent in the tin. It's difficult to keep lit during the first part of the bowl, but eventually takes the flame and burns well. At first, this tobacco has a mild, slightly sweet taste which grows a little sour and sharp as I progress through the bowl. By the middle of the bowl, the tobacco is burning well and the taste settles into a very nice, slightly sweet, natural tobacco flavor. There is some bite throughout the bowl, but I suspect that if I took the pains to dry this tobacco thoroughly, most of the bite, and maybe most of the burning problems, would abate. This tobacco has a lovely natural tobacco aroma and a mild, natural taste that I like a great deal. Unfortunately, with all the great blends available, I'm not willing to mess with this one. If you're willing to take the pains to find the right moisture level, this might be an outstanding tobacco.

hornsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hornsmoker (7)

This is a very fragrant mixture of several different virginias in a fine ribbon cut. Components are red, dark stoved, and a sprinkling of golden that add up to a lovely mixture. At first glance this tobacco appears to be your atypical goopy aromatic; extremely moist and reeking of a fruity essence aroma, but that's where it's similarity basically ends.

After 20 minutes with a bowl's worth of tobacco on a paper towel, it had finally dried out enough to be smokeable. At first light, the room filled with an aroma that I liked very much, but my six year son had no real opinion on other than it smelled good and didn't stink [a good sign!]. I found it to burn quite well at this point, despite it's original problem of being overly moist.

While the fruity essence is very evident upon lighting, it did fade considerably until about a third of the way in when it resurfaced again and began to play off the richness of the red virginias. This part of the smoke was good; a constant flux of sweet, then tart, then rich, and then sometimes all of the above, albeit a little mild for my taste.

The best part of the bowl is the latter third. By this time the dark stoved tobaccos kicked it and what a wonderful flavor that lended itself to what had been going on in the middle third. This didn't last long however, as the moisture problem mentioned earlier began to take its toll and the constant relights necessary to keep it going made it a less enjoyable experience than it could have been. Left was a small unburnt dottle, but fortunately no goop which leads me to believe this tobacco merely suffers from excess moisture.

Summary: This tobacco has great potential as a "crowd pleaser" and reminded me of some of the finer points of the McClelland's aromatics without the goopy oily mess that they are known for. The leaf is of good quality, but on the negative side; I am mystified as to why McClelland feels it's necessary to add this much moisture to a bulk blend before packing...it's ridiculous!

One great thing about this blend though, is that it has absolutely no bite whatsoever!...nada! As such I think this is a great tobacco for new pipe smokers or as an introduction to viginias. I don't think there's much here for the veteran, unless your looking for something nice to smoke in a social setting, or a lighter sweet morning smoke.

Bottom line: a mild and flavorful tobacco of a complex nature that needs a hell of a lot of drying time.