Bright, Golden Virginia long-leaf, ripened to perfection, mellowed for years. Flue-cured until fully seasoned.

BrandButera
Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
4noggins.com
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Chestnut brown with shades of tan, this broken flake has the signature McClelland fermented Virginia tin nose that people seem either to love or hate. I happen to love it. The flakes are cut thinner than many McClelland VA's, so it's much easier to rub out and load. Takes to the match very well without the need for over-drying. In fact, I smoked this one with more moisture content than I typically do with flakes.

As I was smoking this, I was wracking my brain to try and figure out which McC blend this was. I went back through everything I could find and could not come up with anything. I presume that since this is a Butera blend, there may have been some sort of agreement between the two parties to make it unique, and it is. I'm not the biggest straight lemon VA fan there is, but this one has made me a believer. There's no overemphasis on sweetness or honey or citrus. This has a decently sweet flavor but there is a nice spice as well, almost perique-like but not quite. More hay than grass, but both descriptors do this blend an injustice by hinting that it is just another straight VA. It's not. This may be the finest example of an Old belt bright leaf tobacco blend in existence. Perhaps even better than the Cut Virginia Plug I just smoked from F&T. They are different from each other but this one seems further off the beaten path. This one has a lot more dimension to it than most of its kind. McClellands, who probably own the crown of finest virginia blend producer in the U.S, earned it on the strength of blends like this. Then again, it's Mike Butera's recipe. :)

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Age When Smoked: Two years

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a super golden Va. Seriously. A lot of McClelland Va's are misses with me. I really like MV 24 and Rich Virginia Ribbon if that tells you anything about my tastes, but many other McC Va's start out great and soon sink into blandness for me.

Butera Golden Cake has no McClelland equivalent. It's a unique flake they make for the Butera series. In terms of casing, I sometimes feel this has some added honey going on, but I don't always get that impression, so it's a pretty clean straight Va.

This one is very full flavored for a McC Va. It isn't terribly complex, but the flavor really delivers to the end of the bowl. It's pretty sweet, occasionally showing honey notes. Not as grassy as a lot of golden Va's. Overall the biggest impression is tobacco, not the sugar, and that's why I like it so much. The closest tobacco I could compare this to is Samuel Gawith's Medium Virginia Flake, but they are quite different. They are like these two house's interpretation of the same ideal, which is a lovely, sugary golden Va flake. I adore both tobaccos and they're a couple of my very favorite warm weather smokes.

I rate Golden Cake very high, without reservation one of my top ten tobaccos, and a sleeper Va that will delight Va smokers, even if other McClelland Va's haven't done it for you.

Having tried other Butera blends, this is my first go round with the McClelland made ones. First let me say that with few exceptions, I am not a huge fan of straight bright Virginas. But this one won me over. Sweet, a tad bit of nuttiness and best smoked (for me) by letting the flakes pieces dry and keeping them in tact as much as possible. There is a bit of a nic kick to RVGC too although not strong. There is the usual McClelland smell that comes from the aging/fermenting of their Virginias, but I don’t find it off putting. I don’t get much of the citrus note but mainly just sweetness with a tiny bit of spice along with a little bit of the expected hay. I sometimes find myself over puffing (the worst thing with this type of blend) when smoking lemon Virginias in an effort to get a bolder flavor. That is not the case here as there is plenty of flavor to satisfy me. RVGC wouldn’t be a regular blend, but when in the mood, RVGC fits the bill nicely.

daveyj66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daveyj66 (8)

A good friend gifted me a tin with a stamp dating the tin to June of 1999. I have never smoked Golden Cake so this review is my thoughts on a 13 year old tin.

I opened the tin and saw what I was hoping for, those lovely crystals we call bloom. The tobacco still had the McClelland Ketchupy tin note. It was also somewhat moist, so some drying time was in order after I rubbed the tobacco out.

I commenced loading my pipe using the threes method and headed to the deck. I did the charring light and then the relight. The first 1/4 of the bowl had that terrible McClelland yuck. But, after that you are in for quite a treat. It was a mild to medium VA taste with tons of sweetness. There was nothing complex about this flake, you got honest to goodness VA Flake! The ashes stuck in clumps to the side of the bowl, so I knew my pipe was going to need more then a normal cleaning. The tobacco burned all the way down and left the tiniest of dottles.

I would of given this flake 4** except for that terrible ketchup taste. I am going to buy this to cellar and also to smoke now. It never hurts to do a little comparison.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)

1.Open the tin and pour these flakes out on a sheet of paper. 2.Let dry about 12 hours 3. Put flakes back in tin. These flakes don't come overly moist but there is enough moisture that a little drying is needed and that will help remove some of the tounge bite. Golden brown pressed virginia. Tangy and creamy. Notes of hay and malt. This reminds me of how the old Capstan blue used to taste. A really nice American Virginia that is worth the try.

Update:

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (20)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a VA fan, I found this one to be something of a disappointment. Aside from the McClelland vinegar smell, the tin aroma was promising, as was the hearty look of the partially rubbed out flakes. Its obvious it is a quality-made blend.

Upon first light, tanginess and sweetness arises. However, this is soon replaced with a generally dry and hot experience. Not bitey per se, but 'arid' is the word that comes to mind. The VA flavors are there in the backgroud, a little sweetness hovering, with a few low notes detectable, but overall this never develops into full flavors, even toward the bottom of the bowl. On the plus side, after smoking a bowl there lingers a warm and toasty aroma in the room.

I had bought this tin several months ago and then recently rediscovered the opened tin in my cache. I couldn't recall why I hadn't finished the tin back then. After a few bowls, I now remember that there was simply nothing compelling about this blend.

With all the good VAs out there, I simply don't find this one worth spending the time on.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)

Butera?s Royal Vintage Golden Cake is a zesty flue-cured bright pipe tobacco blended by the McClelland Tobacco Company.

The tin aroma is very tangy with a naturally sweet, bread-like undertone. The aroma is strong in the acidic dimension but enjoyably so. Golden cake is composed of a high quality long leaf Virginia tobacco. The color of this tobacco is of a lighter caramel/gold and has strips of yellow throughout. A generous amount of sugar crystals are present on this tobacco.

Butera?s Golden Cake is layered and aged in cakes then cut into large and thick flakes. The flakes are softer than many other similar flake tobaccos and they rub out averagely well. The blend also packs well. The flakes have a medium high initial moisture level but eliminating the moisture does not tend to alter any of the tobacco?s smoking characteristics.

Golden Cake lights readily and evenly, and when considered relatively to other flake tobaccos, it does so wonderfully. The blend burns and spreads nicely and does not require over drawing to keep the tobacco burning. The ash is soft and without any dottle. The room note is medium in strength and has an enjoyable tartness.

The flavor of Golden Cake is tangy but has a definite sweet dimension with a true warm Virginia tobacco taste. Golden Cake is not stoved and because of this has little dark spiciness but instead has interplay between the sweet and the sour. Golden Cake smokes best with full steady draws, which yields the best taste from the tobacco and the least amount of tongue bite. This blend does not smoke overly hot considering its components. The smoke produced is medium.

Butera?s Royal Vintage Golden Cake is a great example of a bright Virginia Flake tobacco. The blend has wonderfully distinct yet well-proportioned flavors, a welcome contrast to the equally enjoyable deep stoved blends.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Aroma: Ketchup behind which can be detected some tobacco.

Appearance: Thin partially rubbed flake, dark brown and black with yellow speckles.

Loading: I just squished some of the flakes into a Tsuge Kaga.

Lighting: Needs a fairly heavy char but then lights easily enough.

Taste: Fairly stong aged Virginia. Tangy and mildy sweet.

Smoking: Burns a bit hot for me, so I remind myself to slow down.

Conclusion: This is a good aged Virginia Flake. I'm not quite sure how much I like this class of tobacco. I think I prefer natural and stoved Virginias better. For those who like aged Virginias I think you'll find this satisfying.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nicely pressed flakes,sliced @ ~ 1/16" and comprised of > 50% brown, 10% yellow and the balance dark brown to black VAs. I don't rub it out and find that it smokes cooler that way. A large sized bowl makes this easier to accomplish and results is a long, enjoyable smoke. This blend is loaded with natural sugar from the curing process and can burn hot if smoked too quickly or rubbed out too finely. The tin aroma is sweet, fruity and very nice. This complex tobacco has changing but pleasant flavors during the smoke but a substantial natural sweetness dominates throughout. Burns evenly and when not rubbed out, avoids many relights. Aromatic smokers may even enjoy this blend but if you like straight VAs, give it a try. I'm going to age a few tins for some time and expect that the flavor will only further improve.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This VA was plain to me. I did notice some nicotine going on and some extra flavor coming and going randomly. I will give it another chance, but if i compare it to... Dunhill Flake. I might just give it that chance when i m out of Dunhill. :)

Update: Second chance. And I m not out of Dunhill flake, I just opened the container today (too bad it does not come in a can)and smelt something different, like a stronger smell of prunes. I still think this tobacco is not consistent through the bowl but here and there the flavor comes and I am really enjoying my stanwell poker filled with it. I might even finish the container!

Summing up, it would be unfair not to give it an extra star!

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is tobacco with personality, meaning that : I like it, but It does not like me. Tongue bite almost all the way. I do not blame the tobacco, tongue bite is mostly a matter of tongue skin PH, there are tobaccos that others call stingy.

Update : Towards the end of the tin, as the tobacco got a little more dry, surprisingly, the bite faded away.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Its good stuff but there are a lot of smilar taste out there...

Typical McClelland (smells and taste)...

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Of all lemon Virginias I've tried, this one is definitely the best. No tongue bite and no tang is what makes this blend stand above the rest of its class. The McClelland ketchup smell/taste is there as with all others offerings from the house.

To me, this is Capstan Gold Navy Flake with McClelland ketchup, and I find it much more enjoyable.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)

The tin aroma of these hard-pressed flakes is slightly nutty which is complimented by the typical McClelland funk.

This is simply top-quality gold VA, exceedingly smooth and with evanescently fragrant with toast, peanut and hazelnut notes.

The finest of golden virginia blends, Golden Cake is simply sublime and a must for all disciplined enthusiasts of the most rarified virginia blends. This goes best in narrow gauge chambers.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

This is a nice tobacco but nothing special! There are a lot of straight Virginia flakes out there that are better than this one. Its ok but nothing I'm going to keep around.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

One of my top ten Virginias for sure. It does pay to be careful with the puffing. My tin has become somewhat overly dry and I believe at this point the tongue-bite has virtually gone. I wish I had many more tins of this aging in my tobacco cellar.(yes it is a closet!)

Another Butera obviously made by McClelland: as such, it is virtually indistinguishable from the Virginias made by the renowned brand from Kansas City. And as such, it is a very good flake: tasty, fruity, sweet&sour... and slightly bitey.

Nothing particular to say in addition to my reviews of the McClelland products: while not as spectacular as some of their best (#27 and Blackwoods Flake), this is as good as some of their ordinary range product. Nothing spectacular or original, but quality stuff.

JClark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JClark (26)

I've been working on a tin of this for a few months now. It's taken me a long time to develop an opinion of this tobacco due to some inconsistencies I have experienced with it. Sometimes this flake is a very flavorfull smoke and other times it's like smoking hot air. If you don't puff oh so gently on this one it heats up like a funace and singes the delicate tissues of the tongue, mouth, etc. For me the good smokes were few and far between leaving me with a tasteless, biting, and overall upleasant impression of this flake. Its too bad these flakes don't smoke as good as the look.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)

Everybody especially Newman's review are right on. But here's my two cents. I like this blend it has the highest natural sugar content I know of. It lights well burns even better leaving a white ash behind. Not a heavy nicotene kick but who cares this stuff tastes good. One caution smoke slow it can and will bite if pushed. Also when I rubbed it out too much the smoke was harder to control I recommend leaving it in larger pieces. Other than that I highly recommend this if you like aged virginias high in natural sugar.

MissouriFisherman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MissouriFisherman (4)

I confess, I usually smoke this outside in a Don Carlos Canadian with a tall bowl. On spring/summer/autumn afternoons with little wind, it can be quite enjoyable. It takes awhile to figure out how to rub it properly, and I find it works well if rubbed coarse (again, I smoke this outside so I'm not sure about indoors).

Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Pleasant

This blend came to me in a 4 year old unopened tin. Being a straight virgina flake, I thought the aging would make this blend extra special. It was extra special alright, estra harsh, extra strong, extra hot, and extra foul!

If you want your tongue in a sling, here you go.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

This is a very nice Virginia broken flake, which I would classify as medium. There are several blends of this genre already in my cellar, or I would add this one to my collection. The flavors range from high through mid notes, with an occasional low note peeping in to say hi. Very little vinegar aroma for a McClelland product.

Evil Catfish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Evil Catfish (10)

This is a beautiful golden virginia flake with that inherently tangy smell I cannot get enough of. The surface of the flake has a fine layer of sugar crystals which should tell you this is sweet on the tongue. Despite the fact that this is a rather sugary tobacco it does not burn ones tongue as easily as expected, but if pushed it can get hot. I think a little aging would make this even better than it is rather new. If you like virginia flakes then give this a try.