A dark, rich, and satisfying English mixture of Orientals, Virginias, Carolinas, and Cyprian Latakia. A sweet, soft, pleasant smelling, American style English.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste
2.6
Hottgunn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hottgunn (18)
Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

The initial flavor was a bit too sweet for me. Almost like a maple flavored aromatic. Some Latakia taste later in the bowl but very light. Very moist. I prefer a stronger tobacco flavor like Dunhill's MM965 or NC, Quiet Nights or Meridian. Worth a try but not for me. McClelland tobaccos are excellent however in my experience. Dried out some and aged a little might improve this blend.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)

Bulk No.2040 Being an American blend, this is nothing like a good English Cyprian Latikian blend. It is overly moist. It does have a nice sweet raw note with overtones of maple that I found to be excellent. Nice room note, but lacking in palatable character. Regarding the moisture: I suppose you could zap it, but personally, I do not like to microwave my tobacco. It's just wrong. I suppose the upside to being MOIST is that like Cavendish, it would take years to fully dissipate if kept sealed. Anyway, for the most part, when I want to smoke, I want to dip into my tin or jar; rub, stuff and smoke. Yes, like most, I do enjoy the ritual of fiddling with the mix; but not always.

This is kind of a Nightcap/Balkan Sasieni wannabe. Quite frankly, I would rather put my money into one of the aforementioned for the fact that they have OUTSTANDING character that this stuff lacks. Personally, I cannot smoke Nightcap all day. It's just a bit too strong for that...for me anyway. I smoke Nightcap as a treat, or use it as THE GREAT ENHANCER: a little 1/4" pinch to lesser Lats. I could smoke Balkan Sasieni if it were that last mix on Earth and never add to it, but I do love a 1/4" pinch of NC dropped in with it, once in a while. Perhaps that would help kick this blend into gear? Back to my point: I suppose if you find this to be an enjoyable blend; it would make a good 'go to' for an all day smoke in that it's so mild that it wound never become overpowering.

There is no bite whatsoever, which is a great attribute of the blend. On the other-hand, I found it to smoke too hot. By trying to achieve a fuller flavor (which I prefer) I kept pulling on the pipe to get what I get from the aforementioned. Another author mentioned that it might be a little too strong for the greenhorns. Hmmm. I'd say that it is mild enough that with the educated coaxing of an old hat, this would be a very enjoyable first time experience.

Finally, will I buy this again? Doubtful. I know what I like and this to me is just a kind of bland American, wannabe English. It's cheep if that's important to you. But, remember...for less than a couple bucks more, you can get a super quality blend like Balkan Sasieni from Pipes and Cigars dot com, which blows this mix out of the water, and worth every extra penny. My 2 cents...

Update 8/3/2012: I've been adding my personal mixes to the mix at the end of my reviews that I think folks might enjoy. Here's one now: It is half Dunhill Nightcap and half McClelland Bulk MC 2040 Cyprian Mixture from pipesandcigars.com. 4 stars because it completely mellows out any bite from the Nightcap and stays clean and smooth to the last sip. Too me it is literally Nightcap without the bite. Give it a shot.

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I received a sample of this blend from a friend dated 2009. I have smoked two bowls of this tobacco. This blend has great flavor until you blow the smoke from your mouth. Once the smoke is gone the flavor is gone. There is the slightest lingering taste of latakia left in the mouth that is detectable for very brief moments. Smoking this blend seems almost frustrating, you want the flavor to last but it just does not.

This is an American style English blend with well balanced, soft latakia/Va/Oriantal, some sweet maple casing and some other flavoring agents.

The smoke is smooth and cool, however not tasty, I find it quite bland, without personality, I have smoked 2oz of this blend during the last 10 days, now I am writing this review and still I cant remember exactly how it tasted like, this is kind of blend which is hard to remember and easy to forget.

The maple casing will spoil your pipe for sometime.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

06132006 McClellan Bulk#2040 is my second foray into McClellan Bulks. The aroma from the pouch reminded me of Old Dublin (my favorite tinned tobacco). A couple hours airing time were needed to get the proper moisture, and then 2040 was loaded into a favorite Peterson. I find #2040 to be a very well blended, well behaved tobacco. Easy to light, and a delight to smoke, #2040 stayed cool to the bottom of the bowl. The flavors were a well orchestrated medly of the different tobaccos in the mixture. No matter how hard I puffed, I could not entice a tongue bite. This blend may be a bit too strong or intense for a beginner, but for the seasoned smoker, it is a very relaxing blend (IMHO). This could be an excellent blend for an aromatic smoker who is seeking true tobacco flavor without casing and "goop". Combine the great blend with Smokingpipes.com's very good prices, and I think I have found my all-day blend.

07052006 The more I smoke this blend, the more I like it. I have smoked this in cobs, meerschaum, low priced briars, and higher priced briars, and it's always smooth, cool and clean burning, and never a hint of tongue bite. Just received 2 pounds with my latest order from Smokingpipes.com. Hope they keep this in stock. No matter what else I smoke, I come back to this in the next bowl. I'd give #2040 Cyprian Mixture 10 out of 10 stars.

12012006 On a whim. I mixed equal parts of this with #5110. Wow, the addition of a blend containing Basma is amazing. Smooth, cool, even burning. A very well orchestrated mixture.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

08/06/2004: The description sums it up. An American-style English. A quality tobacco that tastes a little light compared to most of the quality European blends. If you like the Frog Morton series give it a try.

11/22/2006: No longer in my rotation. Still a quality offering.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like several of McClelland's bulk blends, specifically 5110, 5125 and 2030. This blend is similar to it's cousin 2030 #1 Grade Balkan, but unlike 2030 I find this to be too soft a mixture for me as there is not much bite to it and the flavors are quite muted. The VAs are the dominate flavor here with the Latakia and Orientals quite subdued, I also detect a sweet and nutty aroma which perhaps could be a topping. I think this is a well blended mixture and uses fine quality leaf; if you are looking for a light, soft American style English then this may be your blend. 5 out of 10 stars.

Fatty Bolger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fatty Bolger (8)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My local tobacconist sells this as one of his house blends. I tried a couple of ounces in my quest for my go-to English, as he recommended it as his favorite. It is a pleasant, very slightly sweet blend. Mine was not overly moist and it filled and lit well. No tongue bite despite my tendency to puff and get the bowl pretty hot. Unfortunately for me, nothing really stands out. I will enjoy the rest of my purchase but won't likely be buying again.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This is a smokable mixture but it really does not give me much excitement.

By comparison, when I smoke a bowl of GLP's Charing Cross or some of pipesandcigars.com's Larry's Blend, I am in awe at the taste depth.

There's a distinct cavendish taste underlying all flavor in this tobacco that detracts, I think.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

October-2003. No:2040 Cyprian Mixture. Not bad at all,though not a great bell ringer for me. Easy to light,with good strong flavours of the virginia,latakia and oriental that definitely come into play. The oriental leaf came shining through,with the virginia a close second followed by the latakia. The taste is consistant to bottom of the bowl,leaving a greyish ash. If you enjoy earthy tobacco's with oriental,then this may suit you.

Spuds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spuds (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Out of the 20+ blends I have tried over the last year, I have returned to purchase only 3. This blend I turn to the most. I feel the need to clarify here ? I definitely admire the GLP blends (along with Margate, 965 and a few others), but often, I am not in a setting in which I can fully appreciate the nuances of these blends. Frankly, failing to notice the aspects of these fine blends aggravates me ? hence the search for few decent bulk blends that I can tolerate. 2040 fills this role admiringly.

The presentation is largely dark, (darker than 965) with lighter browns rounding it out. And the aroma! Just what I like ? latakia. The aroma reminds me of Old Dublin. The cut is slightly larger than 965 and there are a few ribbons. I have no trouble packing this in any pipe.

Upon lighting, 2040 exhibits the highs associated with virginias (maybe carolinas), and orientals. It is, by no means, harsh. This, through the bowl, is a mild tobacco. The latakia comes to play during the second third of the bowl, bringing its fullness and warmth. A little nuttiness is detected. The last third, the orientals/virginias are back, mixed with the latakia and all are working well together. Even if your attention wanders during conversation, each transition seems to last long enough so you won?t miss out.

The only downside I can see is it may be a little moist for some. Not anywhere near the moisture of the goopy blends (you know the one), but a few hours drying is all it needs. I rank this as mild, with OD as medium and 965 as full.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a sample of #2040 with a recent tobacco order. It looked a bit frightening with its dark color and heavy Latakia odor. Not to worry, it looks more imposing than it really is.

Like the very articulate Lustra, I found this to be as good a bulk Latakia blend as there is on the market today. Soft, a tad on the sweet side, and no heavy Latakia after-taste.

It burns well despite the fact I had trouble drying it out. I suspect a secret McClelland's humidifying agent has been added to the Cavendish in this blend.

Worth the burn in a favorite pipe, McClelland's #2040 gets a thumbs up from me. And, with the current Cyprian Latakia shortage, you might want to order a pound today for pleasure tomorrow.

pmonroeb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pmonroeb (92)

A good bulk English from McClelland that is in the same style as FMOTT. This blend is of the so-called Modern English style with some black cavendish mixed into the blend. Like almost all McClellands, it comes too wet for optimal smoking qualities.

2040 is a very rich and flavorful blend with the best qualities of the latakia and black cavendish coming through.

ngandhi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ngandhi (7)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

If you have a good tobacconist, he will carry 2040 is bulk 5 pound bags. Buy at least an ounce; shouldn't be more than $2.50.

This is the finest of mild to medium blends. While the description above says it is rich in latakia, I wouldn't say there's any more than 30%. While many mixtures suffer (no kick reveals the lack of flavor), 2040 balances a wonderful high beam of latakia, virginias, and orientals.

This is a perfect, and I do mean perfect , mixture. I tend to prefer stronger tobaccos. My favorite English is Dunhill's Durbar, my favorite virginias are brown no. 4 and F&T's blackjack. But this tobacco doesn't need to be strong.

It smokes consistently, every puff a wondrous buffet of rich, high quality blends. It might remind you of Frog's On the Town, but more delicate. The most surprising thing about it was its aftertaste. It's clean, makes me think of smoking a nice bowl of Gawith's medium virginia. While it very well might be a latakia base, the virginias are very bright, and very pleasant.

People tell me Balkan Sobranie was the best pipe tobacco ever; I never had a chance to experience it. But I can't imagine anything ever displaying as rich a complexity, delicateness, and equilibrium as McClelland's 2040 Cyprean.

Highest recommendation.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

For me, this is one of the best of the McClelland bulk series. It loads and lights easily, smokes very cooly, and has a nice Latakia taste--lightly sweet and not too overpowering. The texture of the smoke can only be described as "soft." This blend can be a little wet when you first open it up, but for some reason that never seems a problem with this tobacco and it seems trouble-free regardless of the moisture level. A fine smoke. I have bought this blend in quantity to age in my commodious and much-fabled tobacco cellar... :)