Original Choice is a new pioneering pipe tobacco which will appeal to "novice" pipe smokers and the younger generation. It has a mild, aromatic taste, and the truly remarkable thing about Original Choice is the fact that we have managed to develop a tobacco that does not smart on the tongue.

Original Choice is made of specially selected tobaccos. It is a blend of Virginia tobacco from North Carolina and mild, air-dried Burley from Tennessee. One of the suppliers of the Virginia tobacco is Boyette Farm, where the Boyette family has been working since 1797 to produce the best possible Virginia qualities. Their success has been due in part to the warm and dry climate. It is now the fifth generation that has taken its place behind the solid oak writing desk to play roulette with Mother Nature, as the family puts it. Fortunately, thanks to generations of experience, the odds are stacked in favor of the Boyette family. That is why a plug of Original Choice is always a good idea. The packaging is made of an exclusive type or corrugated card, which not only looks good and protects the tobacco but is also completely environment-friendly. It is not every year that Mac Baren Tobacco launches new types of tobacco. That is why we have pulled out all the stops to make full use of our experience and our production of the new blends. That is also why we have managed to make sure that Original Choice does not smart on the tongue. Numerous test smokers have already given Original Choice their approval and have already made it their first choice.

Notes: Introduced in 1998.

BrandMac Baren

2.7
pipeclubsi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeclubsi (6)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Nice paper-board outer package with a tobacco leaf sticker on it and no other motifs than mac-baren crest. Looks as it is a true tobacco we are about to try.

A lot of black cavendish among bright virg. and burley. No artificial aromas and toppings to kill the tobacco taste, if we ignore the natural sweetener which only enhances the fine natural aroma.

It smokes fine, tastes sweet enough, mild, but still is a serious smoke with some body. An all day smoke for any occasion. The room note is very nice, fruity almond like.

It suits all, from beginners to ones moving from aromatics to a more natural english or oriental blends.

It's neutrality will not appeal to heavy latakia smokers nor sweet cherry-vanilla-aromatics lovers. However it has it's place in a spectrum of tobacco and in a way it makes an important link in a chain of many blends.

I recommend it to all that start with smoking pipes, to all that want a day off from the heavy english mixtures, and to all aromatics lovers willing to try something more natural.

Sonaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sonaris (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is clearly one of my most favored dailies.

As the day dawns with a whiff of a quality blend of sweet virgina from North Carolina augmented by Burley from Tennessee, one can immediately qualify it as a typical Mac Baren blend - smooth, flavorful and delightfully mild.

Our friends who normally prefer to dabble in latakias, orientals and perique may not necessarily associate themselves with this one, but the lovers of virginas and burleys may find this quite irresistible.

The corrugated look of the packaging is incredibly avant garde will turn heads before you even get an opportunity to light it.

As a matter of fact, I have noticed on several occasions that it remains a topic of discussion and fascination.

Hats off to Mac Baren to have chosen such a packaging gimmick, that adequately retains its natural moisture and flavors.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I will recommend this one to the pipe smoking hobbyists among us who don't care for a lot of tobacco flavor or nicotine and have a sweet tooth. Additionally, you can choo-choo train this one with your puffing cadence and never blister your waggle.

As for me, I prefer the home run to singles.

Oh, one of the previous reviewers described this as a "ramped up" Captain Black. Great descriptive and dead on.

OomPaul Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OomPaul Guy (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Finally an "Aromatic" that doesn't taste like soap!! More than a few reviewers have said that folks that prefer Latakia Blends probably won't like this one. WRONG!! I love Latakia. I love Burley. I love Va and Ky as well as Orientals and Perique. When the tobacco is done right, I have a very diverse taste and enjoy many different combinations. Original Choice was done right, IMO. I am not a fan of aromatics and til now have not smoked any in many many years. I found this blend to be very pleasing to smoke, albeit a very light smoke. Nothing wrong with a light smoke sometimes. This one goes good with morning coffee and is a nice change of pace. Try it! You'll like it!

Pipe Used: Savinelli "Tignanello" 614 Oom Paul

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Mac Baren Original Choice . This has quite an intriguing description , so I was thrilled to try it ! The mixture has a pleasing Aroma to it , not particularly Aromatic but more of a full Tobacco smell with a slight fruity edge to it . It is of a perfect quantity with the moistness and appears to be predominately darker Cavendish pieces . Due to the moisture level it lights up with great ease and once lit burns very even at a steady pace . The ash left behind is very pale and the Smoke given off is a great temperature , not too hot nor too cool . The flavour is super ! Although it is classed as an Aromatic the Aromatic side is incredibly delicate and doesn't mask the Tobacco flavours . There is a VERY slight Floral note but it is not at all omnipotent . The Tobacco tastes are brilliantly balanced , I thought from the appearance it would be only a Cav' taste but actually they are all present at an equilibrium that is perfect ! Vitamin N ? Again perfect , and if you choose to inhale the Smoke by exhaling through the nose the delicate Aromatic side is embellished pleasantly . Tongue bite now , quite a surprise as unlike the expectation with Mac B's this one appears redundant in the Bite department ! This one would make a stupendous "first time" Aro' or a great choice for those of us that are sick to death of heavily cased Cherry or Vanilla ones !!

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (68)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Strong

I ordered this by mistake. It came in the usual metal round tin, not the corrugated cardboard version in the product description. The tobacco itself is predominantly dark with light leaf scattered throughout. It is an easy to pack short ribbon cut.

The tin note is exceedingly sweet. Notes of licorice, toffee, vanilla and more, but the prevailing top note is raspberry: Confectionery raspberry.

Burns easily. The casing translated to a nasty chemical taste when ignited. It left a nasty coating on my tongue. Not much of a tobacco taste at all. This is sickeningly sweet and it will probably sit in the back of my drawer for years.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

The original choice is the perfect tobacco to start your pipe experience! The cut and humidity are fine and it is very easy to charge and light up. Unfortunally, I discover it very late but, if you want to start to smoke pipe and you don't know which tobacco choose, I recommend it.

milabros1981 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
milabros1981 (10)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Opening the pouch: a smell like bubble gum. Smoking the tobacco: like eating something too sweet. McBaren's modern Cavendish is evident everywhere, with its distinctive and unique syrupy taste, I almost thought I saw my bowl caramelized! Albeit very sweet for my taste, it is still an interesting and tasty blend that I will certainly smoke again and certainly recommend.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Hard to like, difficult to hate, this is a aromatic smokers heaven, the taste is sometimes too much but most of the time after dinner is about right, Macbaren is right saying that this blend will not torch your mouth, but at the same time it feels like other sacrifices were made to achieve this, mostly the lack of tobacco flavor, as a aromatic you could do worse, I'm just not a fan of tobacco that does not taste like tobacco. Would I buy this again No. but as aromatic gets a solid 3.

Pipe Used: Boswell fishing pipe

Age When Smoked: 6+

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

A nice smoke to be an aromatic. I'm a VA, Vaper and English mixtures guy and there is a very small number of aromatics in my list of "smokable" leafs. Original Choice is not one of my top ten, nor top 20 tobaccos, but in social environments seems to be well accepted by sorrounders.

It's a flat smoke, as most of aromatics are, but is also consistent from the begining to the end of the bowl, not suffering the strong degradation that other aromatics do once you pass the first half of the bowl.

Recommended for aromatic fans an for social smokers.

Aromaniac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aromaniac (7)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

It's har to tell how much burley this blend contains, and actually I would have said pure virginia / cavendish was this presented to me in a blind-test.

I don't think I've ever come across an aromatic THAT aromatic upon opening the pouch! An extremely sweet sugary smell, that makes me think of both fruit and candy. But surely the sweet cavendish is obvious too - some tobacco detected never-the-less.

The cut and blend looks almost exactly like that of Porter House Double Mixture, so naturally I was very exited to put this in my favorite aroma-pipe, hoping of some reminiscence..

Well, that comparison fell flat right away. So when it presumably contains, looks and feels alot like that of Porter House, but smells tenfold the sweetness, it must be a case of heavy flavouring. And right on - when smoked, 50% of the aroma detected was non-existant in the taste of it.

It is by all means a decent tobacco, and I would recommend it to all aromaniacs. One can compare it to those of 'My Own Blend' - but with a decent taste, and most importantly in that comparison, it doesn't pack 'gravy' by the gallon!

120 grams smoked

Flavours detected: Vanilla, Raisin, Almond...rice pudding?

To even out the sweetness, I'd recommend a hot cop of black espresso to go with it.

Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This tobacco was kindly gifted to me and though I am leary about MB products I gave it a try. Quite plainly, this was overly cased with some sweetish fruity/vanilla flavoring, bitey, boring and bland. It smelled overwhelmingly strong in the tin and this aroma translated to a harsh, bitey smoke with a flat taste and no appreciably pleasant aroma. I wont be purchasing MB again, but as I said, this was a gift from a true gentleman whom I respect deeply and I had to give it a test run.

Komashoota Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Komashoota (6)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I really like this blend, and I wish I could choose it as a daily for me, but unfortunately, mac baren tobaccos leave me with a tongue bite... I think it' the chemistry of my mouth. Anyway, I recommend it. It's a very decent tobacco.

neuron_md Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
neuron_md (11)

I like this tobacco, it's one of my favorites from Mac Baren. It has a sweet, fruity room note that my wife likes. I find it fragrant, tasty, and smokes slow and cool. It doesn't bite the tongue. It is something you can smoke all day. And the aroma won't offend your non-smoking friends. I'd buy this again and recommend it highly.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

well i have to say it is a quality rounded in flavour tobacco and perfect V/B blend. i cannot see this one in the aromatic realm however the natural taste is nothing to complain about but the room note wont be that adorable. perfect all day smoke burns perfectly to a white fine dry ash,,definitly would consider buying more

elelion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elelion (25)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought a pouch of this tobacco in the tobacco store only because it was the cheapest solution. I stored it in my cigar & wine temperature controled humidor for about 4 months and I finally opened it with plenty of expectations.

But the flavory changed my mind. Looking closer and it is not hard to find some sugar cristals sticked on the leaves. I first thought that I may be cheated with some kind of drug-store products. Afterh checking on tobaccoreviews.com, and I think maybe it IS the charactor of the tobacco. I did not through it away. I transfered it to a used tea tin. I ordered some Corn Cob pipes to smoke this tobacco. Each time I feel happier looking at the tin with less and less remainder inside.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I really used to like this blend, as it was one of the very few "fruity" aromatics I could tolerate. Times and tastes change, however, and I doubt I would give it so much as a second glance these days ... It's not that I hate aromatics (I don't), it's that there are far better blends of this type on the market that are available in bulk.

Don't get me wrong. This stuff tastes great, and it manages nicely to balance the sweet/fruity topping with the natural tobacco flavors of burley and Virginia. It's a very unique taste, and I had nothing to compare it to until Russ Oullette introduced Classic Burley Kake for the Hearth and Home label last year. Unfortunately, there seems to be an above-average chance of falling victim to what appear to be quality-control issues. Usually, the problem seems to be that someone at the factory put WAY too much flavoring into it, which yields a harsh blast of smoke with a painful bite you won't soon forget (assuming you can actually get it to burn, which is doubtful). I did find a solution of sorts to the quality-control problem, which is to buy this only in tins from the few very few online e-tailers that stock them, but such a variance in quality between the pouch and tin is inexcusable.

A better solution, however, is to simply order a batch of the aforementioned Classic Burley Kake and settle down for a nice smoke. The flavors are essentially the same, but Classic Burley Kake is superior in every other respect. It's cheaper,too.

Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Fairly cool, very mild and, as the esteemed Noorrmm puts it, fruity and sweet, it is indeed one of those new blends (very much like Dunhill?s Aromatic or Mild Blend) designed to appeal to a new generation of pipe smokers. Without being entirely a scented tobacco, it does have a noticeable aroma?perhaps a bit too sweet for my taste?that gives the whole blend a tasty and smokey structure, in the Danish tradition.

The blend comes in one of those new corrugated carton pouches, lined with a golden foil paper. It is quite moist without being goopy. Visually it is a very nice tobacco, comprising golden thin ribbons (Virginias?), crimp dark brown leaf (Burley?) and jet black cavendished leaf. It can be packed as it is from the pouch, and its fairly easy to light and keep lit.

I do not mind smoking it every now and then, but its mildness tends to dry up the palate (though I would not classify this as a tongue biting tobacco) and does not reach that satisfaction point I find in other blends. Again, with the esteemed Noorrmm, it is an above average aromatic mixture, and should be very enjoyable to those picking up a pipe. If you are used to stronger or more consistent blends, too much of this stuff could parch up your taste buds!

Addendum (18 Nov. 07)

For the better part of the last six months I've been smoking this blend. It is indeed a very mild product, but once you get the hang of it--especially in the filling-up-the-pipe department--it can become a very suitable companion. As in Mixture Modern, and unlike Cube, I can really taste the Burleys and Virginias in this blend. The aromatic structure is nice (people tend to compliment the room aroma), but not pervasive to the point of occluding the tobacco flavors.

Not a bad choice at all.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Notes from first two tastings:

Nice packaging. Corrugated cardboard instead of the usual plastifoil. Practical and probably works as advertised, keeping your blend from getting too rubbed out. Like the idea.

Nose aroma: Fruity, sugary, and raisiny. Rumcake-like. Like something baked for Xmas. Luxuriously rich smell, this should go down well with family & friends.

Packs well. Charring light fine. Lights nicely. Outdoors went out a few times in the beginning, not later on. Composition quite dry (the tobacco on review had been unopened on the shelf for about a year).

First puff: Mild, yet there's a lot of tobacco taste in it. Mild, but tasty smoke w/ a lot of air. Like a 6 AM morning haze blended with a light camping smoke. Drier and "fierier" than many MacB's.

Begins with a nice Cavendish note. The nose-feel in the pouch does come through in the smoke. But in a very much lighter version. Still good.

Quite early on, taste turns chocolatey, raisiny. Smokes cool, and a lot drier than most aromatics. That said, I did get my tongue bitten, though. This one gets hot quickly if you don't mind your puffing. Pack tight, I'd say.

Halfway through the vanilla tones disappear and the taste develops and darkens a bit. The Cavendish and topping moves to the background, and back of your throat. A more balanced note.

The base tobacco, though mild, is of the usual high MacB grade, and quite agreeable. The aromatics start stronger (ahem, it is still mild), then mellow out to give a alternatively tobacco or aromatic dominated smoke. Which is why I can see it is quite a seller.

I immediately had the image of smoking this say, camping, hunting, fishing or hiking. Outdoors, early in the morning, after the morning coffee or cocoa, by the campfire or so.

(Tested in a Gr. 2 bowl, and the aroma was nice. Better in a small pipe, perhaps?)

Great for that first smoke of the day... in a way "I've found my real Early Morning Pipe" (pun not entirely unintended).

UPDATE: Newly tried this one again, now in the warmth of summer instead of the breeze of approaching winter. Positively surprised! This one's a "summer blend". I also had let it dry out a bit more (and by drying out, I mean it was just left as it is, in the closed pouch, so some air will seep in anyway). Doing that proved to be a good call. The taste and smoking characteristics have improved quite a bit. Room note (cottage porch, actually) was beautiful and favorably commented on. I believe it has lost plenty of its bite potential, a good thing. Good for the occasional, light smoke, and very agreeable.

UPDATE: Recently experienced the beautiful aroma of this one when someone else was smoking. Superbly agreeable. Nice to get to experience the "wife factor" on a baccy that's in my own rotation, too.

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild Tolerable

Well, my search for the perfect aromatic continues... I was given an unopened package of this by a fellow pipe smoker (Hello Randy!) who has decided to only smoke Va/Perique blends. I am desparately trying to find an nice smooth, sweet after-dinner kind of smoke, a dessert smoke, if you will.

This one has an incredibly sweet smell in the container. Almost honey-like. It looks fairly light, with some black tobacco. Mostly ribbon cut. Visually very appealling.

So far, so good.

It was very dry. When I pinched it, nothing stuck together. Perhaps it was too dry.

I smoked the first bowl outside on my walk to work. Initial light gave almost no flavour whatsoever?! That strong scent in the foil package was completely gone in the smoke!

By the halfway mark, little or no change. In fact, by the bottom still nothing had changed, sadly. (sigh)

I decided to smoke the next bowlful inside, hoping that smelling the room note would make some difference. Alas, no such luck. It was as bland inside as out. In fact, it seemed to offer a little tongue-bite too! Maybe I was drawing too hard to find something to sink my teeth in to!?

Will I finish this 50g package? I suppose. Will I enjoy it? Maybe. Will I order more? Probably not.

UPDATE: I tried it again this morning. It seemed a little more flavourful. It seems sitting for a few weeks has helped it out a bit.

One More UPDATE: A little more time has passed, and this tobacco has improved again. Maybe it's just me, but I like this more and more. I'm upgrading from "Might Try Again..." to "I smoke this on occasion"

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Appearance: The blend was mostly variations of lighter colors (about 70%), the remainder much darker. It was much drier than the tinned Mac Barens that I've tried in the past.

Aroma: All that came through was the flavoring/scenting agents used. They were somewhat fruity and sweet, and were able to mask what I assume are burley and virginias. No orientals af any kind were detected.

Packing: Packing was quite easy in a variety of bowl sizes. The dry tobacco did not tend to clump or stick together, making a nice springy pack with little attention.

Lighting: As expected, the blend was quite easy to light. In fact, in a fairly narrow bowl, a one match light was often possible.

Initial flavor: Two impressions immediately. Cooler than expected, and rather fruity tasting. I can't identify most of the flavors that came through, except for the faint impression of banana. (BANANA???) Better on a bowl of corn flakes than in my pipe!!

Mid-bowl: Continued cool and gentle on the tongue, smoked dry and clean. However, the flavor did not develop beyond the first impression.

Finish: The finish was still cool, just a bit stronger in taste, and still dry.

Summary: An excellent choice for the aromatic smoker. It burns cooler and drier than much of the breed, and doesn't gunk up the pipe. It does leave an aftertaste in the pipe, as all flavored blends do. Way above average for an aromatic, but just not my style.

Hillbilly08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hillbilly08 (11)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Inoffensive, but actually also unappealing to a seasoned smoker. Suspiciously flat in flavour and overly sweet. Burns reasonably well and stays lit. Maybe useful for someone starting pipe smoking. I could not finish the pack past two pipefuls, despite being a natural aro smoker.

Pipe Used: Georg Jensen Yacht 9mm filter

Purchased From: Churchill's shop in Prague, Czech Republis

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I can´t get tired of this tobacco. Despite im an english mixtures smoker mostly this is one of those aro you must always have. You can enjoy the full taste of virginias and burley and a little sweet flavour has been added (Honey/mapple syrup?) to the black cavendish.

Pipe Used: Amadeus bent brandyglass, Lorenzo bent apple

ifarghaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ifarghaly (13)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a nice smoke to start the day. Light, mellow. kinda creamy and definitely sweet. It does tend to burn a little hot, however it doesn't give you a nasty tongue bite. Over all a nice balanced tobacco that I cannot fault.

atman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atman (7)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Mac Baren Original Choice -nice aromatic blend for beginners. Very pleasant flavor of this blend make it sweetable for smoking on the party.

I don't like aromatic, but this one i have sometimes.

elliath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
elliath (3)

The first tobacco I put in my pipe, and still in my list of good mixtures. But this mixture suffers from very unstable quality, as other Mac Baren tobaccos do. In one third times I bought it, tobacco was wet and totally tasteless, and nor drying neither wetting could improve it by a bit. Only two or three times it was really great, so I smoked it about five times a day with a cup of coffee and didn't get tired. So if you lucky enough to find this mixture in good condition - it worth to be experienced.

Raines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raines (22)
Medium Mild Full Strong

When you open the pouch the smell is very sweet. But when you light the pipe the taste is almost overwhelming. A lot of people say that tobacco is for beginners, why not. All I know is I almost stop the pipe smoking because of this tobacco so it sickens me (I wondered if I didn't like smoking or just that brand).

Pipe Used: Butz-Choquin Formula 1601

Purchased From: France

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (24)

A very nice, smooth smoke. Nice smoking qualities and flavor. Mac Baren score /4 (strength 1, flavor 3, roomnote 4)

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (32)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I'm currently smoking this, and have been smoking it for a while, one month ago. It's really mild stuff, and has the Danish plumcake like cavendish aroma. Burns well, doesn't bite like other Mac Barens. When you light it, you get at the beginning that cheap taste many aromatics have, but soon it gets better and you tend to recognize the tobacco. Ok, the flavoring is still there, but in a very discrete, yet steady manner. I'm not a huge fan of aromatics, actually I can't stand most of them, but this stuff is good, and if you are aromatic lover, you are going to enjoy it. Mac Baren somehow achieved to make the flavoring less artificial, and almost hid the cheap chemistry note that goes with that kind of flavoring. And plus, ladies don't mind the room note at all. Nice stuff every now and then for diversity, but still aromatic. I'l give 3 stars because it's the only let's say "bearable" Mac Baren tobacco. For an aromatic, it's a huge success.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This mixture is an aromatic in the Danish sense of the term which means it is cavendish with very little casing or topping. When the tin is first opened there is a trace of fruit & honey fragrance but any added flavors are extremely subtle. It is a mixture with a mild, satisfying, no nonsense tobacco taste - a bit like Plumcake without the rum. If you like Sail Regular or Sail Natural you might like this as well. It would make a great all day smoke if it didn't have a slight tendency to bite.

Morhamster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Morhamster (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After one year pipe smoking experience this product is my number one. I know there must be better tobaccos, but ? haven't tasted them yet.

Burning process is wonderful. Easy lighting. It is not like heavy aromatic tobaccos, however it has a good room smell.

bluemonk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluemonk (6)

Visited my local tobacco store with the intent of picking up a tin. They had a decent selection of various Mac Baren. I wanted to pick the right one but was not sure which one that would be. So I whipped out my Razr and did some research on tobaccoreviews.com. Among the blends that were available I decided upon Original Choice. It was a good decision indeed! As I open the lid the warm yummy fragrance of some sort of buttery honey rush up to my nose. My palette gravitates more toward English blends but what is exploring about but walking down new paths and finding new lands? This my friends is that new land. Anywayyy, thanks for the suggestions glad I picked this one up. Cheers!

Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (20)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

First off, I am a lover of aromatics and have been smoking pipes for over 20 years. I was never a big fan of MacBaren blends, but my local tobacconist had an open tin of this mixture. I never buy a cat- in-a-bag when it comes to pipe tobacco (too many BAD experiences). I liked the tin-note, so I asked for a sample. I enjoyed this tobacco so much, that I bought a 100g tin. Here is my review:

Tin note: fruity, but not overpoweringly so,so that the aroma of the natural tobacco leaf is also detectable.

Moisture content: unlike many aromatics, which are too moist to smoke out of the pouch/tin, MacBaren Original Choice is ready to smoke. The tobacco packs well without plugging up the draw. If it dries out, however, I would recommend remoisturizing it. Otherwise the tobacco cannot be packed properly, resulting in a quick burn with tongue-bite.

Room note: A real crowd-pleaser, this tobacco is one that even anti-smokers will be tempted to love. My daughter, who usually complains about my pipe smoke (even though I never smoke in the house, only outdoors), exclaimed that this pipe tobacco smells really pleasant. I did smoke this in a pub, and after leaving the room, then reentering it a few minutes later, I noticed a pleasant, slightly fruity scent, reminiscent of "grandpa's pipe".

Smoke: You will need to perform 2-step lighting, with a charring light followed up by a 2nd light. No tongue-bite (unless you let the tobacco dry out - see "moisture content"); pleasant, slightly sweet, typically aromatic taste; no dottle; smokes to the end of the bowl; no "wet draw" (a.k.a "tobacco juice"), though moderate residue in smoke channel after pipe has cooled down (recommend using 6 or 9 mm charcoal filters, if your pipe is fitted for them).

Overall, I find this a very pleasing smoke, and it has become my go-to-tobacco when I want to please non-smokers in my vicinity. Despite contrary information in the product description above, I would not necessarily recommend this for novice smokers.

BTW: Both MacBaren and Stanwell have reduced their pouch content from 50g to just 40g, of course without reducing the price. This is rather unfortunate, and I felt duped once I noticed this fact!

keremgulermen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
keremgulermen (10)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant

I can say the few one to smokable of Mac Baren Choice Serie. If you cant find a nice tobacco, you may smoke all day.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)

Another blend I can locally find.

A bit moist, burns hot, on the wet side with a mild flavour. Bites if you are not careful. Smells great though, wife loves it.

Comes in 40gr pouches; I am sure you can find a better aromatics at this price.

Arctic Briarian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arctic Briarian (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

And suddenly my pipe turned into a caramel candy bar...

This is a mild, light, smooth and - yes - sweet blend. However, unlike other sweet aromatics I have tried, this one really comes with a very pleasant flavor.

Easy to pack and light, reasonably dry and low maintenance - but it burns quite hot and fast.

Zeno_Croatia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zeno_Croatia (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Very nice tobacco. I have both Original Choice and Vanilla Cream, they are not very different, except for a slight vanilla flavour present in Vanilla Cream.

This burns evenly, I didn't had any bites and room note is wife approved. :)

I am still a pipe beginner, and I would recommend this one to beginners.

newsandtraffic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
newsandtraffic (17)

Ordered a tin of Original Choice when I ordered my tin of plumcake back several months ago just to have something else to try. You know, didn't want just one thing in that box. Not disappointed. Enjoy smoking this. Nothing special, but special enough for me to make sure I keep some on hand.

RupturedDuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RupturedDuck (6)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Ok, so you are finished with the pouch of Cherry Captain Black that your girlfriend bought you for your birthday and are wondering where to go from here? Original Choice is a great next step. The tobacco is midly sweet, and will leave behind a not unpleasant reminder that someone has recently finished a pipe. It does not have the heavy sweet smell that may cause some non-pipe enthusiasts to proclaim their appreciation for pipe smoke. The enjoyment of this tobacco produces a cool, dry smoke, and is rather easily maintained. The ash left behind is a fine white powder. For these reasons, I also recommend this tobacco for use breaking in a new pipe.

This tobacco is everything expected in a pipe filler, and therin lies the 3 star recommendation. It doesn't surprise, amaze. However it does provide consistant enjoyment. This is a fine all day tobacco that you will not be displeased with.

NedF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NedF (22)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Probably the best of the MB 'choice' offerings. I can't really say what it is that this tobacco tastes like. It is an aromatic, but not overwhelmingly so. I found myself liking this more as I worked through the 40g pouch, but probably won't buy again.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Premium Virginias, Burley and Black Cavendish, a smooth, tasty, cool smoke with almost no tongue bite (if smoked slowly) and the perfect moisture right from the pouch. The flavoring reminds me of dried peach, making one of the best aromatics I've every tried.

Dexdpd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dexdpd (3)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This was my first pipe smoke, and although it was nice, it is not something I currently smoke, surely not on a daily basis, right now it's in a jar, left for ageing.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Brilliant composition. It's a must for all aromatic lovers. If you smoke this baccy you'll collect a lot of flattering comment on its fragrance. Like a fruit-cak. Minus 1 star 'cause it is extra light :(

VALICK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VALICK (2)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Strong

12 years of Mac Baren's Original Choice, non stop...

Highly Recommended indeed

Five Stars =

gersham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gersham (4)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My first tobacco, marketed as a beginners blend, and I suppose such it is. Easy enough in maintenance and not overpowering for someone who's not smoked tobacco otherwise, but at the same time it did come off rather bland for the first couple of smokes. However with time I've found it can be rather tasty it its own right, and is definitely a pleasant smoke, especially if smoked relaxedly. To this day though I don't pick up much flavoring as such (my general reaction is "Flavored? Well if you say so...") Happen to find it perfect for morning coffee. Recommended if you want something mild and unobtrusive, for a morning to noon or an all-day smoke perhaps. However you may find it boring if you're used to fuller or more complex tastes.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I've made MacBarens Original Choice my overall all day blend, along with some medium English as an alternating blend. After trying most of MB's blends {not all of them} i seem to favor this more-so than the rest, mainly because of its genuine sweetness and real tobacco taste. Not too bland but a gentle unabounded sweetness that i can smoke all day long. To me the sweetness of the virginias, which is very selective from any of MB's blends, combined with just enough dark burley to give it a slight buttery, creamy, chocalaty taste, falls short of a blend that incorporates too much of a good thing. I've ran across a few of those, Dan Tobacco's Milonga and Davinci are two that are great tasting but i found myself loading up a bowl of those blends too many times. hence, too much of a good thing. I think a slightly bland tobacco that offers an exceptionally good overall taste, is necessary for an all dayer that you can add as a rotater along with something else that you like. It all depends on you and what your tastebuds are telling you. This one very easily slipped into my daily rotation, two aro's and one English. Strength is just right for me that completely satisfy's my N cravings without it being too harsh, with absolutly no tongue bite.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

OC is not recommendable to Latakia puritans nor to nicotine hunters but highly recommendable to freshmen, recommendable to Aros fanciers, so and so recommendable to all the ones (like me) which normally are floating around the atoll of Natural Aromatics. Yes, a perfect Macbeginners tobacco but not only, with this blend Mac Baren boys show one more time their skills on tobacco production combined with marketing strategies. OC is a mild, unassuming aromatic (even not bad in any way) able to gain a respectable reputation, it is described on MB official web-site emphasizing the quality of tobacco supply and then it's sold on a low-profiled cardboard corrugated pouch; in a manner or another they are strategic on stimulate our curiosity and are able to satisfy the 65-70% of pipe smokers…...Macchiavelli and Von Clausewitz worked they for Mac Baren?

Danotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danotti (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Quality aromatic tobacco with good burning and very good room note.Great for morning smoke as it is not very powerful.Nearly no tounge bite unless you puff too strong.Beter then Virginia Choice according to me.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

A previous review discerns "toffee, figs and almonds" in MacB Original Choice, but I also received a whiff of something close to the cherry topping in SG Celtic Talisman, although much more subdued and almost vestigial, together with a bit of warmed up butterscotch. An extremely sweet smoke, thanks to the casing and the virginias. But not cloying, thanks perhaps to the burley. The base tobacco is extremely good and the general effect is one of a pleasingly sweet, rich and tasty smoke, right out of the tin. (Well, let it air a bit, as one should all MacBaren blends.) I wonder how it will taste with some weeks in the jar. Nicotine level is low, which I prefer, so YMMV. I smoke slow so I never get bitten by any MacBaren blend or few others for that matter. Again, YMMV. The ribbon cut should be filled loosely, not packed or jammed, and smoked in a size 4 at least for the maiden voyage. This and MacBaren Dark Twist Roll Cake would be excellent choices for the fall and winter months. I dare say the OC room note would give it an edge during the social commitments of the holidays.

02/13/2011 Update: I can't believe I only gave it three stars orginally. This baccy has "legs" and along with Dark Twist has become my favorite MacBaren blend. Time in the jar just makes it better.

Dikos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dikos (12)
Very Mild Medium Full Pleasant

Just finished one pipe with this stuff. It wasn't "first date", but i smoke it in new meerschaum pipe without filter, so no bites, pleasent sweet taste during all smoke. How i was forget this, may be i will put it back in my rotation.

pipelicidad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelicidad (9)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco is one of the few imported brands that you can find in Mexico City. I like it a lot. The main component of this blend is cavendish made out of virgina tobacco (see “modern cavendish" in mac baren's website). The remaining tobacco parts are normal virginia and some burley.

The casing is also an important ingredient in this blend. In the pouch (lovely, a foil-like bag wrapped in corrugated cardboard, excellent for good tobacco conservation), we found a tropical fruit aroma. When smoked, however, the flavor of the casing mutates into a more elegant taste, which can be described as caramel with a fruity nuance. Even though is quite flavored, there is a very refined and genuine tobacco taste in this smoke. I have found that the intensity of the straight tobacco taste increases when it is smoked in a small bowl pipe, nevertheless is always very sweet.

Both the tobaccos and the casing are of high quality. It is also very easy to smoke, and doesn't produce tongue bite when is properly smoked (much better if packed loosely). The room note is great, and it can be appreciated by almost anyone. If you are looking for an aromatic blend with some authentic tobacco character, this may be your choice.

sweetpipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sweetpipes (7)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very enjoyable smoke. Not fully aromatic, but far from unadulterated (uncased) tobacco. However, this middle ground is one of the most pleasant I've ever experienced. The tobacco, a good mixture of VA and Burley--cavendish style. As for the topping, seemingly a better variety of the many run of the mill type, as the goop factor is not at all present. Absolutely no bite--absolutely, if you don't puff like a locomotive. Enjoy a tin. Packs like a dream and burns similarly, right down to the gray/white ash.

ynrozturk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ynrozturk (40)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I didn't know what to expect with this blend, but since I didn't have a lot of options at the time I decided to give it a shot.

First few bowls weren't that great. Once it aired out a bit, it improved, and now I quite like it. Well, I won't exactly be scrambling for it once it's finished, but it's nice. Easy to pack, light and smoke. Doesn't bite the tongue, provided that you smoke with a filter pipe.

The room note is very nice - I get vanilla, figs and almonds. Quite low on the nicotine, but that's not such a bad thing when you think about it. Can't be smoking latakia bombs all day now, can we?

For the price, a good quality smoke.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It says "Original Choice is a new pioneering pipe tobacco which will appeal to "novice" pipe smokers and the younger generation."

I totally agree with that, because the new generation starts smoking cigarettes and then (sometimes) make the transition to pipe (maybe not completely), so this aromatic-cigarette like blend would be very appealing.

Planet Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Planet Scott (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I've read this is a great beginner tobacco, but I've been smoking for 15 years. I do like this blend. It is just the right amount of sweet, with a nice toasty room note. Tongue bite is an issue. Smoke slow and be patient and you will be rewarded.

Mac Baren tobaccos seem to be a love hate brand. Can't say I love this, but I do enjoy it.

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

i dont really like this tobacco. it is sugar sweet and boring. i could somewhat recommend this tobacco for the biginners who didn t smoke cigaretts or anything else before pipe.

Pipedawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedawg (16)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I rarely smoke aromatics, but always have at least one kind in rotation. I rarely EVER smoke Mac Baren aromatics, as they all taste of nothing, even though the aroma and note usually is good.

This time around they damn near got it right! Original Choice smells fantastic out the tin or pouch (the pouch invention itself is innovative stuff indeed), and it actually almost taste like it smells. Thats good credit right there, 'cause they seldom do.

Easy to light and smoke, but I do miss a little more nicotine and a little more strength to it overall.

Keywords: Toffee, figs and almonds. This is sweet but actually quite good.

kukulis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kukulis (12)
Very Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It is a medium quality tobacco, and would be possible to smoke, but it produces so mutch tar that crams your pipe! Probably not very good for your health also ..

Eusebius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eusebius (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

I hae smoked a lot of brands and blends in the last years, but this the one I always return to. It's mild but not shallow. One of my favorites.

hgm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hgm (14)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I smoked this tobacco in a cheap brebbia pipe, no bite. it has good taste and flavor and an incredible room note. it doesn't burn hot and leaves a fine gray ash , and you can smoke to the end of the bowl with no problem. however it has low nicotine and obviously not a choice for everyday smokers.

pros: good taste,good aftertaste,burns cool and dry,low tar,good room note

cons: low nicotine

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not bad, but toooooo weak for me. Good for begginers. Leaves a great aroma in the room though.

Jose The Bear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jose The Bear (10)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Not Good over all! Every bow where just like New for me, cause I really can't remember what it taste like. So that I can't remember nothing after I finish my pouch.

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

very close to Vanilla cream loose cut, with the same sweet and fruity topping but with caramel instate of the vanilla. one of the best mac baren aromatics blend, Delicious!

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I like this blend a lot having received my first pouch free as a promo from my subscription of Pipe Magazine in 2000. I don't know if this comes in anything other than pouches but if it does I would be interested in that. I've purchased pouches here in Israel that have gone absolutely bone dry. Because of this tongue-bite is almost unavoidable. Despite all of this I find this one to be a stellar product and a good new generation drug store blend.

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)

Having recently become a convert to MacBaren Mixture, and with a penchant for mild aromatics, I thought I would give this one a try.

I wasn't too convinced about all the marketing stuff on MacBaren's website about the modern corrugated packaging and about it being a tobacco for the younger pipesmoker.

However, this is a really nice tobacco. Smells of toffee or caramel in the pack. Packs and lights easily as they say and gives a very easy going sweet smoke that (most importantly for me) is not sickly like some other continental aromatics. Enjoyable to the bottom of the bowl.

One thing I would say say is that this tobacco is not completely bite free. You can really puff on it but it will bite you eventually.

Recommended, and currently my sweet tooth favourite, alternating with Mixture.

Update 15 Mar 08 :

It's almost a year since I first reviewed this and back then I used to smoke it a lot. I haven't smoked it for quite some time and was a bit bored so I thought I would get another pouch. Still smells great in the pack but I don't feel this translates to the taste whilst smoking - it's bland. Also tends to burn hot. All in all a bit of a disappointment now - very much in the style of MB's Black Ambrosia. Great room note though. Downgraded to 2*

TastersChoice69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TastersChoice69 (2)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

When I first opened the tin,I smelled a light touch of vanilla,I didn't know if I should smoke it or eat it..It smells excellent. The first bowl was well rounded, easy to light, and staid lit threw most of the bowl.With many Mac Baren tobaccos,if your rush a pipe.. your tounge will pay for it.This blend is hard to get a tounge bite from. Well balanced Virgina,light touch of Burley,and a good mix of Cavendish.If you tried the Vanilla and found it too harsh,try this one.This will stay in my rotation..

Rollervm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rollervm (2)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I just bought some of this last week, i usually sweet-type tobaccos and this one didn't dissapoint me, it's a really pleasant experience to sit down and enjoy a bowl of this, very good for a change of pace.

Greytata Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Greytata (9)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Because I have forgotten one of my "regulars" at home, I bought this one and it was a very pleasant surprise. Very good quality tobacco, with a nice aroma and taste, with a very pleasant room note. It packs well, burns well and it is a good companion for any hour of the day. Well done.

Well, months after my first review, I must say that my first opinion still remains: for me, it is one of the most pleasant tobaccos I have ever experienced

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

The two previous reviewers are right on point. This is a quality aromatic. Its taste is unique; toffee/caramel. Yes, it's sweet, but not overly so. A nice change of pace.

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

My first review of a Mac Baren tobacco was for the god-awful Mixture. Being an open-minded person, I decided to try the Original Choice as well. Both were purchased in a country where good pipe tobacco is a precious rare commodity.

The package is quite nice-looking, and promises the tobacco contained within is easy to light and smoke. It also claims to deliver a "sweet, rounded, and exciting taste." Presumably, this is so it might appeal to young and/or novice pipe smokers.

Well, it failed to appeal to me. Though it is very easy to pack, my first bowl was a bear to keep lit. One would think that, as dry as this stuff is, that wouldn't be the case. My second bowl burned rather hot, and neither bowl held the promised taste. In fact, it didn't taste like much of anything.

This tobacco gets two stars because it is friendly to a new pipe smoker. It just wasn't for me. The second Mac Baren blend I'll dump, and the absolute last I'll try.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Original Choice is not what I would call a high grade smoke. Yes, it loads very well in a pipe. Yes, it burns well, and leaves a grey ash in a dry pipe. No, It does not bite the tongue. But the flavor of the casing is something I never want in anything, much less my pipe tobacco. Fortunately, I tried this in a cob, and when the Original Choice went in the trash, the pipe followed closely. Some may find this a quality tobacco, but I do not. =============================================================On trying a second bowl, crazy as it seems, I got nothing but tongue bite, tongue bite, and, oh yeah, tongue bite. Maybe I should have tried smoking the corrugated pouch. Or better yet, I could have lit my torch and stuck that in my mouth.

Rafe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rafe (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is what old-timers tell me is a "black & tan" blend. It's certainly sweet enough to satisfy any aromatic cravings, but other than being sweet it doesn't really qualify as an aromatic in my book --- this is unadulterated tobacco, or at least I was unable to detect any flavorings.

Like most MacBaren blends, the high quality of the leaf is obvious, like most MacBaren blends it looks very appealing and smells heavenly in the tin, and like most MacBaren blends it's cut a little too chunky for my preference. After a good whacking in a food processor to get it the texture I like, I loaded up a large Peterson, packed it medium-tight and fired it up.

I am already a big fan of MB's burley/VA/cavendish blends, and this one earns its place among my go-to tins. Admirably juxtaposing the straight strength of my beloved Navy Flake, Original Choice is something like smoking a pipe bowl of sugar --- unquestionably sweet tobacco, but not cloying or goopy. It stays lit well and burns at a nice, medium-slow rate on its own. If, like me, you occasionally like to stoke it up a bit with some deep, heavy draws you will be rewarded with nice, big puffy white smoke clouds and a very pleasantly sweet but real tobacco taste with little or no tongue bite. And the room note gets Mrs.Rafe's seal of approval.

Regular partakers of heavy lats or Balkans might find this blend a trifle on the wimpy side, or might find it a nice change of pace. Burley/VA/cavendish lovers, those who enjoy lighter, aromatic fare or even green newbies will find Original Choice a pleasure to reach for. I know I do. Good stuff!

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)

Well...I'll try to think of something nice to say..ok its mild and smells nice and you can smoke it alot and no one gets offended....and uh..and uh...well, its a nice step up from Captain Black..and when I have a sweet tooth craving ( which I do on occasion) I'll reach for it.....

Puf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puf (10)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

At present my preferred blend - after a while of smoking uncased tobaccos I rediscovered my sweet tooth. It's basically like the ad says; nice modern packaging, nice elegant taste. However it will both bite you and produce bitter taste if you smoke it too hot, but then again, what blend won't....

The overall taste is Vanilla/ Hazelnut, but the base tobaccos are clearly discernable in the mix. I guess I could pin it out like this: Sweetness from the VA and the casing, "Nuttiness" from the Burley, and Vanilla from the casing and possibly from the Burley too. Very sweet taste, but well blended in and in no way an unnatural experience.

The tobacco is on the moist side out of the box, accounting for its tendency to smoke hot. For the same reason, lighting it is usually 2 or 3 attempts. On the up side, it packs easily without the need for any rubbing out or such.

All in all, a tobacco not without its quirks, but it's charmed me and it just might charm you too ;-)

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

DITTO HERMIT 78. This is crap! What a waste of tobacco of any quality. I say this in embarrassment for the Mac Baren company. I'am a fan of several of thier blends (Plumcake, Navy Flake, VA #1) but this is a disgrace. The tobacco mix is a base of black broken cavendish cake with some lighter, blond short strands of leaf. It smells sickeningly sweet in the pouch, very candy/confectionary-like and tastes like cotton candy when smoked. Yes its' true like the pouch says this is mild with out a bite, but so what. What I like about Mac Barens' main line blends is that of thier unique nature of being relatively lightly aromatic and not confectionary, despite thier strength. And thier choice of flavorings like honey, real sweateners and the like. Often times such flavorings are applied just to reinforce the natural flavor like in thier rollcakes. This is such a departure from such traditions and what I expect from them in products. In the product description it says that many test smokers have given thier approval for this, however I could only do so with a gun to my head.

- NOT RECOMMENDED

Hermit 78 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hermit 78 (33)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Original Choice tastes like there might be some quality tobaccos in there underneath all that fruity nonsense, but I am still unable to find it in my heart to give this blend two stars. The strawberry-banana-grenadine topping is simply ghastly. I don't mind the odd aromatic (I smoke Mac Baren's Plumcake sometimes), but this stuff tastes like a whole year's worth of Friday afternoons when I was 10 years old. Like the package says, it won't bite your tongue, but it might burn your ass if you spent good money on this garbage. About the only thing this absolute crap has going for it is the fact that I can send it to the landfill with confidence that its corrugated cardboard packaging will biodegrade.

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I really liked this tobacco. I thought it was a bit strong and uninspired. After getting through the 1.5 oz. pack, I have ordered another. Very tasty. Also I didn't taste the flavoring like some of my fellow reviewers. Update: The next pouch I received tasted much more aromatic and a different texture as well. A very tasty light vanilla aromatic in my opinion. A nice smell.

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

One word: sweet The packing is absolutely nice!! It packs easy cause it does matter how you pack it, it will light perfectly. This is one of those thingy where everyone will enjoy the the smoke, except for the one who is doing the smoking. It don't taste like tobacco at all. It is like drinking a fruit and vanilla flavored coffee with a bit too much sugar added. But hell, I have it always in my pouch for taking it out to gatherings and parties. This is the perfect social smoke for people around you will think you have exquisite taste...except for seasoned pipe smokers.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A true pipe smoker tree huggers dream come true! The same people who like this probally buy organicly grown vegetables,and don't eat any fat,(and fat tastes good). Oh well,if you're just out of high school and want to try a pipe,go for this.You might smoke half of it before you realize that there has got to be something out there better. Good tobacco flavour,quality leaf,Mac Baren sweetner added.

farndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farndog (22)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This a typical MacBaren tobacco. Pretty good quality tobacco with a slight aromatic topping. The blend is mostly light with some dark mixed into the blend. It is a little on the dry side, but packs well and lights with ease. The flavour is pretty nice, but is defintiely an aromatic. This would make a nice blend for someone to start out with - good quality but still that fruity smell. Probably not a favourite of the experience smoker. It burns clean for an aromatic and leaves a clean pipe.