An exclusive and satisfying blend, manufactured from high class, full ripe Virginia and matured Burley tobaccos, rounded by a tasty, dark Cavendish.

Notes: Introduced in 1989. Discontinued 2014.

BrandMac Baren

Visit company website

Strength
Taste

2.5
Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (26)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I like this! Just nice all around. Velvet without the fruit and spice. More like a butter/sugar cookie in taste/aroma. Smoked well in my briar. Can be smoked in a cob, but best out of a briar. It's a laid back no frills type of smoke. Aromatic lovers may not like this one. This isn't the holy grail of pipe tobacco, but it's mild and unassuming which more times than not is quite refreshing. This is what your dad or grandfather would have smoked. Or at least something similar, as aromatics were less common many decades ago. This one set my sails and it felt damn good. This blend's a little hard to come by. One word of advice, buy the tin. I also have bad luck with the pouches. I think it's because the tins keep the tobacco fresh for a long time, while keeping out the elements.

gam86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gam86 (34)

When I bought it was pretty dry so I had to rehumidified it, so I think my sensastions on this blend were alterated by this fact, This tobacco is very pleasant to smoke and a leave an "alcholic" room note. Nevertheless, the burley dominate the mixture and leave a sense of "earth" in your mouth, a good mixture but not my favourite.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Similar to Mixture-Scottish Blend, Mac Baren?s Navy Mixture combines matured Virginias, toasted Black Cavendish and Burleys (which do not seem as predominant as in Scottish Blend), to produce a very nice and a slightly sweeter smoke than its more popular relative. As with all Mac Baren blends, careful smoking is recommended because of their tongue biting mildness. I must say that the tin I am now smoking was bought, opened, and its contents partially sampled six years ago. At the time I was frustrated by the hot smoking characteristics that the esteemed Pipestud refers to and which seem to be endemic to this brand. Thern again, six years ago my palate was perhaps different and in search of fuller blends.

Checking out in my rather modest tobacco cellar a few days ago I found the tin, and the golden foil in which the tobacco is wrapped, in pretty good conditions. The tobacco, however, was dry. I applied a little bit of demineralised water to moister it, waited a couple of days, and have been smoking it on and off since then. I cannot say it has been a wonderful experience, but it has been surprisingly rewarding.

I now find that the original mildness has evolved into something with more body, more mature. There is a certain sobriety to the flavour, slightly chocolaty and piquant, that makes it quite palatable. With not as much broken flake as Scottish Blend, the mixture is easy to pack, light and smoke. The room aroma is very enjoyable and there is no harsh after taste. Recommended to all Burley-Virginia smokers who occasionally enjoy a sweet tooth, but should take care of smoking it slowly.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (22)

Navy Mixture seems to be similar to Navy Flake, especially from its aroma, but I think it's not quite the same. NM is richer in taste from beginning to end. The nicotine level is also more pronounced and it offers much more complexity i find than NF. It's really too bad it's being discontinued because I would see myself adopt it as my every day tobacco.

Pipe Used: Stanwell (various)

Age When Smoked: 1 1/2 year

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Similar Blends: Navy Flake (but it's not a flake and it's less flavorful)..

Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I'm a big fan of Mac Baren products. Not as big a fan of Navy Mixture. The aromatic element in this tobacco strikes me as floral, perfumy and somewhat bitter. What's more, I could taste it from top to bottom of the bowl. The strength is similar to Plumcake, (medium and satisfying) but that's where I stop comparing the two (I love Plumcake, casing and all.) The burleys make an appearance about halfway down, but still doesn't round out the flavor for me. The broken flake makes for a longer smoke which is nice. Won't be purchasing again but happily finished the tin.

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Mac Baren Navy Mixture is to me an essential ration, though I smoke it only once or twice a month. When it's desired, nothing else will do.

Like many Danish classics NM could be classified as a mild aromatic. A bit more aromatic than Mixture Scottish Blend and a bit less so than Plumcake. In fact I would best describe it as being located at the exact midpoint between those two. If you like Plumcake but would prefer a less aromatic version, Navy Mixture would fit the bill quite nicely.

Personally I find it to be a complex, interesting smoke. Though it takes some experience to open up those deeper layers. Another reviewer described it well with the "butter cookie" analogy. The emphasis here is on creamy smoothness and less on spiciness. Yet that dark-fired Kentucky makes an occasional welcomed appearance, to very great effect.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 315 EX

Age When Smoked: 2005

Purchased From: online vendor

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Plumcake.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)

Notwithstanding what is described in the heading, I did not detect any aromatic additive. I found this blend to be quite enjoyable and one of MacBarens best. I am not an aromatic smoker thus I am sensative to any flavoring in tobacco.

Pipe Used: home made billiard

Purchased From: NA

Similar Blends: Crooked Lane by C&D..

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Tolerable to Strong

Bland and lacking any real depth of flavor. I was hoping for a sort of a Navy Flake light, what I got was half and half without the topping.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)

As a Dane, one of the big influences that made start my pipe smoking career some twenty years ago, was extensive literature written by the Danish pipe guru Paul C. Olrik.

Paul was raving about how good English tobacco was, but he was also raging against Danish tobacco as being mass produced inferior tobacco that would only please the mob. Mac Baren took a big hit in the sixties, and a "war" between independent literature and the industry raged across good 'ole Denmark.

That made me avoid Mac Baren for quite some time.

Olrik was very wrong in some aspects, because Mac Baren makes some outstanding blends nowadays as well as some rather unfortunate concoctions. (see my other reviews if I should manage to tickle your curiosity).

This one is good

For me Navy Mixture could consist of half rubbed out Navy Flake and half MB Mixture, but I don't think one would get Navy Mixture if one did a half 'n half IRL. It's just a way to illustrate that there is more burley in this one and less honey.

And somehow Mac Baren managed to go easy on the PG for once.

Not very complex - since 35 different tobaccos are bound to equalize into something rather simple - but nice and easy with friendly butter cookie notes.

I like it but I don't love it, and it will never even get close to beating Mac Baren's Roll Cakes.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

I have to specify that this tobacco is not a flake, but a mixture composed of loosed cut and broken flakes. It smells more like Scottish Mixture than Plumcake: it does not have the spicy note that caractherizes Plumcake. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It is richer than Plumcake, definitively more flavorful and does not bite at all. I would not be surprised at all if NM would take over Plumcake in my favorites.

Patryk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patryk (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Please, would anyone out there help me out by sending some link or by actually describing how to correectly fill the pipe with the rolls? thank you.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is actually pretty good as an aro goes. I decanted this into a jar and left it some weeks. I now smoke either this or Plumcake as my evening pipe. Bite is much reduced, nice, not too sweet, not much N and almost indistinguishable from Plumcake but overall it's a good light aro that the wife doesn't mind in the room.

Supposedly 30 odd different raw tobaccos in this mix which I can't help but think makes it a floor sweepings special, and if this was such a great idea why slather them all in a sweet topping, but that might just be me.

If you are not sensitive to bite and you want a pleasant, sweet, easy mash-up mix then you could do a lot worse.

polaris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
polaris (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

You will appreciate this blend after smoking 5-6 times. Not very easy to pack for a beginner and may need many relights. Still its a nice option for what you pay.

Anchkema Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Anchkema (8)

I agree with other reviewers who describe Navy Mixture as an easy tobacco to like. It has a sweet, grassy taste when lit, part of which is due to topping, becomes somewhat more full bodied and slightly nutty, and is a bit peppery toward the end. I've received no complaints about aroma and personally find it pleasant. It lights easily and stays lit. I often take Navy Mixture on vacation, because it's so cooperative.

I've never been so much as nipped by Navy Mixture. I suspect that complaints about tobacco bite are often caused by unartful packing of the pipe which leads to heroic efforts to maintain a burn which leads to the dreaded bite.

And here's my secret about Mac Baren Navy Mixture -- It takes very well to being augmented with a bit of Latakia, which is of some consequence during the indoor smoking season here in New England. I'm now IN THE HOUSE smoking a 40/60 mix of Navy Mixture and 10-year-old Dunhill 965 in a 40-year-old Petersen. I'm enjoying it very much and hear zero (as in 0.00!!)complaints from the rest of the family. If I lit up a full-strength bowl of 965 they'd be in here clutching their throats, wheezing pitifully and staggering about, you can be sure.

Sip don't puff.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)

Similar to MacBarens Navy Flake, i found this blend of cured Virginnys and Black Cavendish to be somewhat a little tamed compared to its older brother, but nonetheless enjoyable and richly satisfying. As it is with NF,a soapy but tangy flake tobacco will greet you upon opening its tin and the taste is a slightly sweetened and mild but good old fashioned tobaccy. Between both of these blends i've dedicated a dunhill size D in one of my savanelli's that i can load and light and put down to take a shortened break then light it up again for a rewarding hour to hour and a half smoke. Tongue bite is almost non existent for this blend as well as NF as long as you don't pushit. No lingering residue, no mess and no goop, burns evenly and to a whiteish grey ash. Knock it out then load it again.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is most probably the same problem as with Troost. What lies in the pouch and the tin are completely different.

The aroma emanating from the tobacco in the pouch was flat. No hint of a topping or casing, as reported in the other reviews.

I would suspect I would have a very different opinion if I bought a tin.

But do I want to chance it, in these conditions?

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (36)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I liked it, alittle honey, rum flavor like a real mild escudo you don't have to rub out.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a born again Balkan smoker. That being said, I also like to change things up a little and this is a perfect blend to do just that. While it's not an aromatic it does have a slight honey casing to it, which I enjoy very much. I find myself returning to this blend quite often. Give it a try if you want a change of pace.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)
Very Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This is not a tobacco Flake!

Also if you're looking for something light, looks good on the web, there is much better!

My advice is to search for quality, find it so beautiful is smoking a pipe!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Mac Baren's Navy Mixture was first introduced in 1988 as a one-off "year" tobacco, and it came in a 250 gram square tin with paintings of ships IIRC. This tobacco is not the same as what is offered today. It was then a unifom, quite finely ready rubbed mixture with a different taste to today's NM. Why it was changed, I do not know but to me, this change is for the better. This is the current description on the bottom of the newly reintroduced 100 gram tins: "This complex mixture consists of over 30 raw tobaccos, and is a masterpiece of blending. Ready rubbed Virginia and Burley tobaccos, loose cut Virginia, Burley and the original Mac Baren Cavendish blended with small pieces of flake tobacco ensure a slow and cool smoking pleasure. Navy Mixture is a blend which will satisfy the experienced smoker, and give you a new and exciting taste experience".

Now, in the nineties I used to very much enjoy a mixture called "Montrose blend 47", also blended by Harald Halberg (stated on the tin) and this Navy Mixture is almost indistinguishable. Under the honey flavour there is a very tasty blend of mainly Virginia and Burley, but with a tart note that could be added to mimick Perique. The "small pieces of flake" could be Navy Flake for all I know. More strength than either Mixture or Plumcake, but not quite in Navy Flake territory. Very soft and smooth on the palate, very satisfying. Deserves wider recognition in my opinion. Rob

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Navy Mixture was another nice meeting with the McB's world. I would place it in between of Scottish Mixture and Golden Blend.

It came in a navy blue 50grms pouch. At the opening notes of honey, liquorice and rhum. Colours range from bright to medium brown, with occasional darker flecks. The cut is called mixture, and I actually find ribbons and rubbed flakes, some of larger size, probably coming from the Navy Flake itself. Humidity is perfect for smoking.

NM lights perfectly and behaves very much well. The smoke is undoubtly parent of the Flake cousin, just less honeysh. Compared to Scottish Mixture is a bit stronger, full bodied and the "aromatic" notes are less pronounced. Less earthy than Golden Blend, and more Virginia oriented, NM has more honey and the "Navy" note.

I'm just working it in a couple of "Il Duca Pipe", produced by a young Italian artisan of Ferrara, which seem to bring out the best from all the three tobaccos. Navy Mixture produces a rounded but very interesting and lively smoke.

We all know that talking of McB is all about the minimal variation in combining Virginias and Burleys (HH's are a different story, though), and very seldom their tobaccos go further the medium strength and body. Neverthess the quality of the employed weed and the blending skill are very good. I'm keeping studying theirs.

I register Navy Mixture in the list of my tobaccos in regular rotation.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

When this blend came out in the late 1980s, I must have been one of the first smokers to try it in my country. I liked it back then, but somehow remember the aroma and taste as being much more earthy and dark than what I got in the pouch I recently bought.

To the latter, I must say I consider it a beauty. MB Mixture meets Navy Flake about half-way, making for a cool, highly VA-ish smoke with a wonderful, light, fragrant room note. It also packs easily and does not need much maintenance.

This is a mild-smoking aromatic; the leaf may benefit from a little rubbing action but that's about it for niggles. You may try to stone me to death for being a habitual filter smoker; (you won't succeed -- I'll throw filters back at you until you give up...), but for me, this tobacco tends to be nicely mild, aromatic and it still has a good amount of taste.

I recommend highly to the beginner. Not a complex blend, but easily palatable and well-behaved. For me, Navy Mixture burns down coolly and easily from the top of the bowl to the very bottom. These days, I crave more strength than this blend provides, but I can still enjoy it -- and I believe this would be a great blend to introduce a beginner to Virginia-dominated blends.

Update 2010-03-30: As has been noted by a few other reviewers, the blend I remembered from the late 1980s was quite a different beast and obviously only offered for a short while. I still have one of the elaborately printed tins it came in, last seen by me in a tobacco store in 1991. Fond memories... still, the current Navy Blend remains very much recommended by me.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Wonderful ! If you like Mac Baren Mixture and Navy Flake then you will love this one.

As I have already noticed with all Mac Baren blends; their tobaccos in pouch (and bulk) are much inferior in quality and flavor than their tins or the plastic containers, I have tried many of their pouchs and bulk blends and was wandering if they are really using the same tobacco or it is just a packaging problem? e.g. while Virginia No.1 is fruity and tasty in tin, it is bland, harsh, bity and tasteless in bulk and pouch.

This review is based on the 100G tin pack.

This is between Mixture and Navy Flake, the tin aroma is exactly same as Mixture therefore, I used a pipe already dedicated to Mixture, the flavor start similar to Mixture and this during the first half bowl, the second half is very nutty, the rum casing start to show up and I find myself almost smoking navy flake.

Since I am an all-day smoker of Mixture, I am very happy with this one and will add it to my daily rotation.

Ok, this is VERY close to Navy Flake by the same maker, only it comes in a broken flake. Actually it's less honeyish, and it tastes a bit nuttier. Nothing particularly mindblowing, but a good reliable smoke which is moderately sweet, smells tolerable and behaves well... provided that you DO smoke it VERY slowly, otherwise it will bite like a pack of hungry demons. Certainly better than the classic Mixture, which is milder and blander.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)

Boy, did this one ever disappoint me!

Bought it two years ago, maybe a couple years after it was released on the market.

Typical same bakkie form as Plumcake, but there stops the comparaison.

Not cased in any way, which triggered a curiosity on my part.

Not satisfying, and the dark Cavendish doesn't bring the so pretended tasty side of things.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

I'm gonna be the pariah here by saying I like this better than the flake. Great flavor (Big Virginia taste)like sweet grass- Very smooth and tasty. I like it very much. Odd that there is no Rum casing in a Navy Mix, but there is rum in Solent Mix. Hey- I like it....Try it for yourself....

Happy Puffin!

This sure is similar to Navy Flake. I have been gifted the entire line of Mac Baren's blends for review purposes and find this one to be a little too mild for my tastes. It is somewhat sweeter than the flake version although this one is kind of chunky in the tin and I rubbed it out a bit more before smoking.

Like most Mac Baren's blends, this can heat up a bit if not appreciated at a modified smoking pace.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Strong

Tasty after the first third of a bowl. The room note is disagreeable to the matron of the house, but the flavour suggests otherwise. Somewhat woody and dry. Delicate draws present a subtle dried fruit, (raisin or figs?) taste-- certainly this does not manifest itself with a nervous habit of deep, hurried puffing. Being a mature virginia base, this is a really satisfying smoke. It's something I'll smoke in the garage while working away. I will definitely be buying another pouch to keep in my collection. Neither english, nor aromatic, this is a hearty smoke.

I am puzzled by previous review that found it to be cased. I can hardly notice anything, and the blend was quite dry, burning clean to the end with almost no dottle.

--hemlock

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

I like Navy Flake much better. Mixture seems thin and just does not burn as cool as NF.

Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

C---cased (why is all the sweet goop on here?)

R---resulting (in a hot smoke, no, a blaze)

A---awful (producing a terrible aftertaste)

P---palate (mine knew to be disappointed...its MB)

Try tree bark instead...its free and maybe it will burn cooler and taste better....oh, heres a grub in my bowl...this will be a much better smoking experience now for sure.

GaryScott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GaryScott (8)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Smoking this is much like drawing hot air into your mouth.

In short, there is no taste.

But I am generally an English smoker, which might explain the disappointment.