A mild flake blended from the finest Burley tobaccos with added ripe Virginias and Cavendish. Navy Flake is light burning, making the lighting of the pipe very easy.

Notes: Introduced in 1965.

BrandMac Baren

Strength
Taste

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)

I picked up this blend to compare it to the SG version of this type of blend. To me, this is the weaker one as far as nicotine goes. The SG gives a far higher hit of Vitamin N than this one. This does give a nice hit of it, just not in the range of the SG. With that said, this is a fine blend that MB puts out. I think it may be their best blend, YMMV. The flakes are easy to stuff into the pipe and once lit, it says lit with no problems. It burns down to a fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. This blend does have a certain sweetness to it, which pulls everything together nicely. If you have a low tolerance to nicotine, this may be the one to give a try. Highly recommended.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had to smoke this to compare it to SG Navy. Totally different tobaccos. Strangely, given Mac Baren's reputation (along with much eastern-European fare) for making aromatics, MB Navy seemed more natural in flavor than SG's version. It just tasted to me like a burley-virginia flake, with subtle grassy notes with the characteristic "nutty" burley flavor. Unfortunately for my tastes, as is common with burleys, this had a very dry mouthfeel (regardless of the humidity of the tobacco). I liked how easy it was to fold it and stuff it into pipes of the size I favor (3/4" to 13/17" in diameter). Unlike others, I found this did not really need drying out. Perhaps my tin was an anomaly. I would like to try other MB flakes in the future because of the ease with which they can be smoked. But this one's flavor left me a bit cold. Worth trying if you like grassy virginias and dry tasting burley.

Mephisto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mephisto (31)

This is a nice milder flake I like the fact that it is a flake and I use it for the windy outdoors thing. It should not take much breaking up and is afragile flake as is. Burns well and flavor is thicker if you dont break it up too much. Sweet without too much flavoring, a distinct molassas like aroma. This room note is tolerable to most non smokers and pleasent to some. It does burn a bit hot if you are not careful with the puffing and break the flake up, but is however nice especialy on cold days. I use it for cold outside days and use two flakes per medium size bolw. This way it lasts a while, is nice and warm and produces a sweet thick smoke. =Update= I have come to like this one more and more I like its packing and burning qualities as well as the nice smoke produced. It is not very complex but still pleasent. A good companion on walks outside. Does not dry out in the tin or come too moist in the first place. This is one of the blend that I keep in my regular stock. ( 2 or 3 extra tins of each of my favorites are always around )

Brother Buford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brother Buford (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Never having tried a flake cut tobacco before, I started with this one. Trying different methods of loading the pipe from rubbing to different consistencies to just stuffing it into the pipe whole, I have found the one that works best for me is to simply roll up the flake, bend it in half, and push it into the bowl and pack it lightly. This seems to work well in the pipe I have been smoking it in, a no-name meerschaum-lined bent briar. Flake may be a little confusing at first to those accustomed to loose-leaf tobaccos.

This tobacco definitely smells very nice upon opening the tin. It has a honey-like note to it and somewhat reminds me of the smell of the plug chewing tobaccos I tried years ago. The taste of the tobacco is definitely on the sweeter side. However, it does have a bit of a bite to it at first that slowly subsides over the first few minutes of being smoked. Be careful, though - it very easily leads to burning your tongue if you're not very careful.

It isn't really a bad tobacco, and the packaging allows one to carry a good supply without taking up much space, but it isn't really my favorite. I smoke this when I want something a little sweeter but still has an actual tobacco taste to it.

Update: After trying several other tinned tobaccos, I feel I need to move this down my list. I'm finding I'm liking it less now, and I still can't get over the tongue burn from it (when straight VA tobacco doesn't even do this to me). There's just something about it that I'm finding that I don't particularly like in the taste as well... it may be whatever flavoring that is used.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

This is an amazing MB blend and probably my favorite VA blend so far. Outstandingly pressed Virginia/Burley and Cavendish make it a rewarding experience opening the tin. A delicious whaft of Honey and Rum invades the notrils. The flakes ae easy to brake ad rub and filling the pipe is not a problem at all. The room note is very pleasent and the taste throughout the bowl is rich and sweet. A keeper.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (41)

I wonder why mostly reviewer at here only gave 2 star rating to this good blend, according to my sef i will certainly give 4 star rating for this blend. First open the tin i can smell a good aroma of virginia and burley with a little bit hint from honey or rum. The flake sight is so good and beautiful, orange golden virginia mixed with dark brown untill black of burley, so soft so you can rub it easily. I dont found any trouble to pack it slightly into my pipe, the flake is good pressed and the moist is enought so when i rub it, the tobacco still in good shape. When i light it, i really enjoy the smell and taste of good va and burley, is so smooth and pleasant. Its not hard to keep the light, the tobacco's moist is very good so it burn well almost without gurgling. The smoke is great so i have almost 50 minutes joy with this blend at my LHS Purex straight apple pipe, Just a suggestion ; this blend is very good if enjoyed on straight pipe, i can directly taste the pleasant sweet and mellow of this tobacco.

Sure, i will buy it again and will keep some for aging.

Pipe Used: LHS Purex

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (16)

Well, I must point out that this is the first flake that I ever tried and was blown away after smoking it. The tin smell is so good that I just want to break some up, pack it between my gums and my lips and slowly chew it (I used to do that with this blend but it has been several months since I have).

Since first trying Navy flake, I have tried over a dozen other flakes from various companies. I keep finding myself coming back to this one. I smoked it so frequently, that I once purchased five tens at once when getting a discount on bulk tins was an option at a popular site (less than $10 U.S. per tin). That site now charges over $13 U.S. per tin. That is still better than the B&Ms in my state that charge anywhere from $17 to $27 a tin. It is the only flake that I have ever purchased in bulk, and will do so in the Mac Baren 16 Oz box again soon.

The flakes are easily rubbed out and not too moist out of the tin. However, I found out that just a little drying allows it to open up to more complex flavors in the proper bowl. Rarely does it ever need a second light if one tamps gently along the way. I have received numerous compliments on the aroma. While it is definitely on the milder side for a flake, it makes for a good one to enjoy by constantly, gently puffing and then expelling through the nostrils. Smoking it this way allows the smoker to take in the whole breadth of the flavors which include mildly sweet virginia, nutty burley, dried fruit and distant honey and rum flavors. The complexity of this fine flake must be savored by not over drawing on the tobacco while it is being sipped through the mouth and exhaled through ones snout. If you get it too hot, then it is not quite as enjoyable. However, if it does get a little hot, it never seems to bite the tongue.

I have turned on several friends to this blend - all of which have enjoyed it; most of which have gone on to purchase some for themselves. If you enjoy flake and want an all-day smoke, this one will not disappoint. The flavor builds towards the end of the bowl when the virginias and burleys have married in the heat to a true perfection of tobacco bliss. At this point, the honey is still there but it just brings out the natural flavor of the quality tobaccos that much more.

What takes this one over the top is the price. I don't believe there is a better dollar or dollar value in a tobacco product. Yes, there are some better blends/flakes out there. But there is nothing that I feel I get quite as high of a pleasure to cost ratio than Mac Baren Navy Flake.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

This is my favorite MacBaren. It has less of the cloying Danish liqueur-like tin aroma than most, and avoids the tongue-frying characteristics common to this brand. That said, I found this blend to be rather, well, dull. The flakes are really neat, the tin aroma is promising, and there isn't anything objectionable. But the flavor is subdued and monochromatic. I keep this on hand for parties. The room note is pretty decent, and I can smoke it without thinking about it.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Unnoticeable

The striking thing about Navy Flake?a strange name to give a tobacco what's mostly burley?is the perfectly tooled, neatly sliced plug flake one finds inside the small rectangular tin that contains it. A tribute, surely, to Mac Baren's workmanship, if nothing else.

The smell is typical of the honeyed sweetening found in Dutch/Danish style aromatics, though nothing has been overdone. The flakes crumble easily into the broken-flake consistency of so many aromatic tobaccos. This composition burns cleanly and easily, without overheating, in my Peterson's Kildare dublin.

The taste is pure unadulterated burley. Quality burley, of course; smooth and mildly herbal; nothing sour or obnoxious. A refreshing, clean-palate taste: a treat, I should think, for the burley lover.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (37)

This one is in my regular rotation. The casing brings out the best of the VA's natural sweetness, and is an overall delightful smoke.

I tend to roll up the flake the long way and kinda stuff it in the bowl, which seems to burn pretty well all the way through.

The moisture content is not excessive, so it stays lit fairly easily.

This is a pleasing all day kind of smoke. Very enjoyable.

N7COF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
N7COF (56)

I bought my 1st tin of this at my local B&M today. A delightful smoke, well behaved & could see myself smoking it all day without tiring of it.

Guess its under rated since as others said its a divisive blend, So far I love the stuff & can see it making it to my top 5

For now 3.5 stars, might bump up to 4 stars after I've smoked the rest of this tin.

Update: 29 May 2009 Bumping this up to 4 stars & now has a home in my daily rotation, a well balanced good all day blend - the pipe tobacco version of comfort food, good - basic - old reliable friend in your pipe.

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

Update: 27 February 2010

Haven't had this for a while & just opened a new tin, guess my taste have changed. Aroma is to synthetic for my current taste so dropping it to 3 stars, still think a excellent choice to start with flake tobaccos.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)

UPDATE: This is a classic, the more I smoke it, the more I like it. I find myself reaching for this over many other tobaccos, both for "daily" kind of smokes and for "treat" smokes. Just a lovely product. Unspectacular, but just damn good. Wife-friendly, tongue friendly, pipe-friendly... what a great product.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with Skando's review, by and large. This is very pleasant stuff, and doing the folding the way they do on the Mac Baren website, you get a really nice smoke, and a long, satisfying one at that. Tin moisture is perfect.

If you can't abide Navy Flake, you should probably sell your pipes. Not that this blend is so incredibly fantastic, but it really is very solid and inoffensive in all ways. Good tasting, easy smoking. Possibly my desert island smoke, not because it is so special, but because it is so unpretentious.

Quality is always top notch with Mac B, and this stuff could teach some other flake manufacturers a thing or two. Beautifully presented, and just a real pleasure to smoke.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

What a quality flake we have here. This rubs out really easy and lights and burns even easier. Honey aroma in the tin and room note. Good smoke for a burley blend, but my all time favorite burley blend is still Barbary Coast.

Medium Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

Mac Baren Navy Flake . Amazing . To start , the moisture content of the flakes is perfect and it is also completely easy to rub and fill with . The lighting is possibly the one of easiest flakes to get lit (as some flakes are too moist e.g S.T James flake) . What is nice with this one is that you can easily detect both the Aromatics and the different tobaccos but they are perfectly balanced so that nothing is too indomitable . With the Tobaccos you can identify all the different ones and you even get a lovely Cavendish touch , the Aromatics are also of a good balance . Another good point is that it gives absolutely zero tongue bite . One of the nicest Tobaccos available !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Mac Baren Navy Flake Made in Denmark by Mac Baren Tobacco Imported by Sutliff Tobacco Company

Burley, Virginia and original mac baren Cavendish

Tin Notes: Nice and Rich Aroma sweet note of spirits Good Looking Flake slices which are easy to rub out Moisture content is perfect

While i have smoked the Navy mixture in the past the Navy Flakes are new to me

Smoking: Smooth Tasting Tobaccos with a light flavor of rum or whiskey and sugar or honey? The tobacco burns well in all of the pipes i used and find that this tobacco has better tobacco flavors compared to the ready rubbed version of navy mixture where the topping flavors tend to be more prevalent. I am still trying to figure out if this tobacco smokes better being fully rubbed out or just fold and stuff and actually tried dicing it up. No matter how you cut it i think you get a good full but mild flavor

Good Smoke but the drawback is the 3.5oz tin once you open it up the tin does not have an air tight seal - so you need to store it in something else or smoke it till it is gone

Room Note is Good !

Overall My 5 Star Rating = 4

Pipe Used: Pipestone Rock Cob, Corn Cob, Clay and Briar

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Opening the tin I got a strong smell of sweet raisins. Delightful. The flake broke up easy and packed well in my Comoy large bowl. Lit well. No tongue bite. Warm, and taste of sweetness and liquour are steady and ever present. This was very interesting as the flavours began to come and go as you head to the bottom of the bowl. They rotated or popped in and out. I tasted honey one minute and not only tasted liquorice I smelled it as well. Then it vanishes and goes to something else.

Slow burning. Smokes better in small cool puffs, get it too hot and the flavours wash out and go flat on the tongue.

After my first bowl I quickly refilled. However after the second bowl I was hit with a good nicotine rush. This is a great flake and I highly recommend it. I plan on adding it to my steady rotation.

Pipe Used: Comoy selected straight grain

Purchased From: JR Cigars

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tobacco comes in nice looking flakes, and is easy to fill and light (take a flake or two, fold them horizontally and verically, stuff them into the pipe and flatten the top a bit; finished!). Burns cooly, and keeps easily lit.

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): starts off with a mild fruity flavour. Not sweet and fruity as many more aromatic ones, but rather dry and fruity. After perhaps a third of the pipe a softer, sweeter side taste kicks in, kind of similar to MacB Mixture´s honey-and-hay taste. All through the smoke quite mild, but very pleasant, fruity but not too sweet.

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): some fruit, some more earthy burley notes, a bit of honey. Very pleasant, but a bit difficult to put a name on.

All together: The flakes look nice and have good burning qualities. The taste is quite fruity without beeing overly sweet (compared to MacB Mixture for example, not compared to heavy English blends). It isn´t a taste explosion, but sneaks up on you with its subtle tones. I have started smoking it as a complement to Mixture, for the times when I want less honey taste. I would really give it three and a half, but being a generous being, I round that off to four.

One of the easiest flake blends to rub out without being dry, and one of the easiest burning flakes, too. A slight taste of rum with lots of sweet honey and fruit notes, and an occasional hit of hay and oats. The burley flavor is subdued a little and is more noticeable as you smoke it down. The sweet Virginia and cavendish taste compliments the casing of this blend. There's a very light spice/cinnamon flavor here and there that really helps to make this tobacco interesting to smoke. It's a mild all day smoke with flavor, leaves a very pleasant after taste and has a pleasing room note.

Bobz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobz (3)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

On a 6-point scale:

Humidity (when openned): 3.5 Flavor: 3.5 Burning: 4 (6=cool) Strenght: 4 (6: very) Aroma: 5

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Very Strong Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

This tobacco is little bite strong for beginner of VA, but for VA smoker it's a really good blend, with really good taste.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

My old friend Navy Flake. I have a real warm spot - a nostalgia for this blend. A good simple flake, easy to fold and stuff in a pipe. Not to sweet. Lights and stays lit. No real bite unless you abuse her. I don't know how many tins I went through doing my Doctorial Disertation and Comprehensive Exams. The old girl stood by me through out. I will always have a tin of Navy Flake open by my pipe rack.

gorealestate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gorealestate (28)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Burns very easy and stays lit. Has a pleasant taste that is not overwhelming. Perfect blend of Virginias. Has the classic Mac Baren taste of what I describe as caramel & honey. The room note is not as pleasing as an aromatic but the taste is fantastic. Although I have been told and have experienced Mac Baren to have a nasty tongue bite, this blend is not bad. The flavor remains consistent thru-out the bowl. I would describe this as a good honey/caramel flavor.

Scottish Steve Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottish Steve (14)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Many reviews of this one so I keep it short, just really adding to the stats at the top of the page. I was expecting something stronger because it said "navy" on the tin - shows how much I know! I'm quite surprised at the reviewer who described this as having "full tobacco taste", because, tho I find it quite natural, it's definitely a gentle smoke. At first I found it insipid, but after it gets burning, there're nice dark notes and a complexity of flavours that feels authentic. I wish they'd dialled this up a bit, cos I could really like it, but I find it unsatisfying. Certainly not to be dissed tho, IMHO. Strange that Ashton's winding Road gets 4 stars, when (to me anyway) there's more going on with this one.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Very strong full tobacco taste in a VA flake.

This is NOT an aromatic tobacco - not even close. I give it 2 stars, but those looking for a good "straight up" tobaccco could give it 4 stars easily, I can see why. It just wasn't my thing.

The strong, tangy, grassiness of a young VA dominates the taste with the burley and cavendish being barely noticeable, though it is good they were there. If they hadn't been, this would have gotten 1 star from me - a bit harsh and easily bitey if not babied with slow smoking and gentle treatment.

Not sure what "Navy" means but it certainly has no rum or liquor flavor of any kind.

If I were given a bowl of this as a blind taste test, I would have concluded it a young, grassy, full strength VA flake teetering on the bitey side.

Probably won't buy more, unless its all I can find in pipe tobacco. I've had worse.

2 stars.

RebelPipesterII Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipesterII (11)

Wow what a popular blend! That said I am going to begin with my impressions of the last part of the tin and what I recall from a few years back. I'm in general agreement with everyone, but find GL Pease's burley blends in a whole different class. Oh and this is definitely a cut above University Flake. ---review--- Finishing up the tin of this had turned from a finely crafted mahogany pressed and sliced burley blend reminded me of a very crumbled Cavendish. This creates multitudes of smoke burning furiously to the end of the bowl. However, I chose the incorrect setting to finish this, driving my car.

The tin aroma is pleasant with a flowery tinge of sweetness (not as flowery as Orlik's Golden Sliced...but much sweeter) and as stated by other reviewers this is beautiful to look at and is very compact for 50 grams of tobacco. With care of cutting this and rubbing the smoking is tolerable. With that said, not being a huge fan of burley (except in strait cube cut) this smokes alright with the Virginia element rising to bite, however, I think it is more of the slight top casing that bites. I can see this being excellent in a corn cob on a cold morning/evening.

Not being a big fan of burley, I may try this blend again just for its curious tin aroma and presentation. However, I am in no hurry to buy any tobacco so it may be a while.

erz316 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
erz316 (7)

I made the huge mistake of rubbing out the last half of the tin. it smokes WAY too hot and bites like crazy. while in the flake form it smokes slowly and, needs constant relighting and tamping for me. the flake is pretty mild in taste but there are some peppery moments in it. pleasant room note that shouldn't offend anybody. a pretty decent smoke

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I don't believe any other reviewers have mentioned it, I distinctly taste deer tongue in this blend. For me, that ruins what I'm sure would be an otherwise excellent blend. The menthol/vanilla flavour is just too much and not to my liking.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

I have tried several of Mac Baren?s offerings and I hadn?t previously found anything I particularly liked, aside from Dark Twist Roll Cake. I don?t typically smoke aromatics, though smoke Haddo?s Delight by GL Pease, Luxury Twist Flake by Stokkebye and Hartwell?s Evening Stroll. Certain SG and G&H Lakeland scented varieties score high points with me. Navy Flake seems topped or cased with some vague slightly artificial tasting honey flavoring used in many of their products with maybe a hint of whiskey. To me, a ?Navy Flake? should follow more along the lines of what a ?navy blend? should be, using Rum for flavoring.

Appearance: This blend has a beautiful presentation, being comprised of precisely sliced flakes of pressed cake. Though predominately red and golden Virginias, and Burley there are darker bands and bits that are nearly white.

Tin aroma: This is a mixture of matured Virginias, Burley and Cavendish. There are deep molasses tones a slight sour tang one expects in Virginias some slight spicy tones and a deeper fig-like aroma. There is a slightly nutty quality as well; rather quickly and slightly over-powering there is the artificial honey/whiskey topping/casing agent. Together, it is a fairly nice smelling combination, though not something that I'd say I have a strong preference for. The tin aroma also tells me to proceed with caution as with many other Mac Baren offering, this could be tongue bite in a tin.

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture straight out of the tin. I normally simply roll two flakes fold them over and insert them into the bowl, trimming off any excess. Lighting is usually a one match affair, and generally stays lit throughout the entire bowl, unless I let the pipe go out. As expected, the initial flavor is very tangy VA and sweet though not overly so on either count. There are distinctly citrus notes of the Virginias and a deep harmonious flavor of well mannered Burley. The topping/casing agent quickly yields it?s dominance to a nice throaty Virginia/Burley duet which continues to build throughout the bowl the Cavendish seems only to 'fill in the gaps'. The topping/casing never completely leaves, adding a sweetness and a slightly generic and artificial taste to an otherwise natural presentation.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while this blend is not very complex, it is however plenty interesting in character. There are subtle changes here and there as each component asserts dominance from time to time. The topping/casing is always ?just there? the Virginias and Burley engage in a friendly competition. While not particularly strong in nicotine, there is plenty of flavor and body to this mixture. The tobaccos used in this mixture are of obvious quality, why then MacBaren chose such an odd topping/casing agent is beyond me. This would have been mighty fine indeed were it topped/soaked in Rum.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the strength of this mixture has built to a fine mélange of flavors and fullness. The pervasive sweetness and artificial taste is somewhat annoying, and the temptation toward tongue bite does not help. It has so much going for it, that what little I hold against it is probably not enough to bother most smokers. If there weren't many other tobaccos that I prefer greatly, I might smoke this on a regular basis.

Supplemental Notes: I would recommend this to seasoned Virginia smokers for a change of pace smoke. If you are looking for a true Navy Flake, look elsewhere, this isn't one. Rating for those interested in numbers **1/2

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)

In the quest for the perfect Burley, Mac Baren is a name you can't ignore. Unfortunately, Navy Flake just misses the mark for me.

The pros: Smoking flakes is a lot of fun. Fold them, tear them, break them, rub them out and then smoke them. Then try another way next time. Navy Flake is mild with a nice aroma, and it doesn't take much attention.

The con: The honey-sweet casing on this one is a little cloying, and it often overpowers the tobacco flavor. I don't enjoy the flavor of straight honey, and this tobacco often presents that very thing.

I won't say no to a (very) occasional bowl of this, but in the Mac Baren line, Burley London Blend is a much better companion for me.

I much prefer a bowl of Prince Albert for a plain Burley, and C&D's Morley's Best and Easy Times for Burley-heavy blends.

cruelraoul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cruelraoul (24)

There are so many very good tobaccos out there that this just doesn't make the cut for me. Why not? Because it is foul. I am not talented enough to truly distinguish the reasons, but I believe that it is the cavendish that I dislike.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is beautifully made, and the packaging is very nice. In the tin, the aroma is overwhelmingly honey. I let this stuff sit until it was almost crunchy. Finally the honey flavor is tamed down enough to let the nutty burley, and sweet anise like Virginia come through. There are similar blends that are better, and cost less to boot.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I like burley additions but not this much. I rather prefer lighter proportions. In absence of other fine Virginia/Burley mixtures this stuff would be an alternative for me. Not for all day smoke. It may be pleasant, rarely for me I guess, in the evenings.

Needs a bit attention on packing and airing, so I wouldn't recommend for beginners. Lights well and it isn't difficult to keep it lit. Till the end of the bowl it satisfies your strength and sourness needings. But nothing special..

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To me NF is a highly underestimated flake of good smooking quality and performance. I used to have a tin at home for many years & I never smoked it, because none of my pipe buddies did either. After some enjoyable bowls in my bulldog and also in a canadian style pipe i must say, this is a very distinguished tobacco. It is not bright and gloomy, it is like a perfect companion. Perfect out of teh tin , perfect in the pipe, no question, i just fold twist and stuff the flakes, small flakes so I can adjust to nearly every bowl in question.Easy to maintain once the tobacco is lit properly. No burn on your tongue. Good stuff but not earthshaking.

ian0077 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ian0077 (7)

This tobacco comes in a small neat tin in flake form. This is a very nice smooth smoke. I like this on its own but sometimes i prefer a little perique with my smoke.

Instead of using perique try adding some freshly milled black pepper to the bowl as you fill and you will be pleasantly suprised at the completely exotic smoke.

Happy piping to you all.

PipeDrummer88 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeDrummer88 (12)

This was the first flake tobacco I ever smoked. From this tobacco I not only discover my love for flake tobaccos, but also my love for navy blends. This tobacco is absolutely gorgeous. Nothing bad to say here. Wonderful blend of burley (i find it gives this a slight nutty flavor), virginia (and i love my VAs), a bit of cavendish, and a slight casing. As far as the casing goes, i can't exactly put a finger on it. I'm not an alcohol connoisseur, but I imagine it has some sort of flavor similar to a plum wine or rum of some sort (as do most navy blends). Don't ask me to provide much elaboration on this one, cause all I can really say is "I like it". What more can I ask? Great stuff, 4 stars

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Navy Flake , IMO, is the finest burley tobacco ever created; this is a wonderful, delicious burley tobacco, flake cut, mild, smooth, nutty, creamy and semi sweet, I have tried most burley brands, this one is definitely the most enjoyable and the first in my favorite list.

I smoke this frequently and have many pipes dedicated for it, wherever I go, I can always find one opened tin of Navy Flake, at home, in my car and in the office; also I keep few pounds of this in the cellar.

SoxFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SoxFan (3)

One of my true favorites - clean smoking, great flavor, stays lit, great natural room note. I have a few tins on hand all the time - can be smoked all day, better at night with a glass of single malt. Usually rubbed out, but lately have been folding....just a great smoke

Stumper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stumper (7)

My favourite of all tobaccos that I have tried thus far. Dry it a bit and enjoy a delightful slow smoke with a clean taste that lingers on the tongue long afterward.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Here we have a pretty much standard Mac Baren formula in flake form, which does work pretty well. Airing time (months) was required for me to get past the boring dullness I first experienced (not unlike many others that have reviewed it, it seems). Additional airing time before and after packing is also standard procedure, after which it does burn easy, treats your tongue gently and fills the room with a pleasant old school aroma, the downside is that it generates quite a lot of moisture, so have a cleaner or two ready. Predominantely burley and va cavendish, with the usual honey, nuts and chocolate notes you've come to expect from Mac Baren are there, as well as very light rum flavour somewhere in the middle of it all. I'd say this is a very good beginner's flake, especially if you're into the traditional danish thing.

After some thinking I decided to rate this 2/4, simply because I don't find myself smoking it very often. But I'm sure others disagree, and rightly so. It has a huge following, good price and easilly accessible to both newbies and oldtimers, but its rather one dimensional mildness and less-than-exciting nicotine content puts it in the 2 star section of my book.

As a whole, however, I believe the general rating of 3 that it has now is welldeserved.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

perfect example of navy flakes and one of my favorite non aromatics(room note wise, however it is cased so bare that in mind when you want to try it). the flavor is very unique, tasty and full. it packs and burns better if rubber as opposed to fold and stuff due to its relative moisture it comes in. burns cool and taste sweet and end up as thick gray ash. i am a believer in macbaren and this blend is a faith enforcer.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

The aroma on first opening the tin should suggest rum, being a navy flake, but it actually seemed more like champagne to me. Anyway, the slices are slightly brittle, easy to work with. Best left coarse; MacBarens seem to work better that way. I just folded it over and tweezled it into the bowl, taking care not to pack it too tightly. Smokes smooth, slightly sweet, with a balance of burley and virginia flavors. Makes some bowl moisture. Several dips of the pipe cleaner required. Not very bite-prone, generally speaking, but I did manage to get a bit of a nip on one occasion.

Recommended.

Michigander Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michigander (19)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The first time I smoked this from a freshly opened tin I found it difficult to keep lit and unremarkable in taste. Onces the tin had been open for a week..... what a difference. It has sky rocketed to my number 3 tobacco after Davidoff Flake Medallion and Scottish Mixture. Un like some other reviewers, I find that rubbing it out thoroughly works best. It burns evenly and with proper tamping it will go for an hour through the entire bowl without a relight.

The casing, if there is any, is very light. The taste is bold yet mellow. I find it smokes particularly well in my pair of Vauen POY 2001 pipes.

p4p4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p4p4 (52)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

good taste.....but is the classic MacBaren taste. When you have smoked one MacBaren blend....you have smoked every MacBaren blend !

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)

When I first purchased and smoked Navy Flake I found it necessary to smoke it hard to keep it lit. This resulted in a hot smoke causing bite. Smoked rubbed or not I couldn?t find smoking satisfaction from the tobacco, but I found occasionally a taste I enjoyed, hiding. I smoked it in many different pipes without reward, so I set the tin aside. After five months idle I picked up the tin on a lark, folded a flake and stabbed it into a billiard. What a difference time and/or additional drying makes. It smoked effortlessly and a taste developed and emerged that had once been hiding. A wonderfully simple Virginia Burley blend, with a subtle sweet MacBaren Cavendish component. Navy Flake is a quality tobacco that won?t be on my daily rotation, but is part of my regular smoking arsenal.

This dryer Navy Flake caused me to re-acquaint myself to another MacBaren, the Vintage Syrian, which also dried out quite a bit and it too was good. I guess MacBaren tobaccos, for me, need extra drying to prevent tongue irritation. So now I know how I must approach the MacBaren line.

Marco1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marco1982 (6)

The most important thing right away. Don't crumble the flake, just fold it, stick it in the bowl and then push it down reasonably firmly. I've tried both ways: If it is crumbled, you'll have a hard time keeping it lit. If it is folded, you'll get it going with two matches, and it'll stay lit. When you open the tin, the honey is overwhelming. It's also there when you smoke it, but you also get some tobacco-flavour, which is - for me - a good thing. Puff it slowly and the taste will stay with you till the end. If you smoke it too quilckly, it may get a bit sour, acrid. I must say, this is the slowest burning tobacco I have ever tried. I packed a medium sized bowl, not even to the rim, and I could keep it going for almost two hours. Burns slowly, evenly, tastes good. Solid tobacco, good choice if you like honey.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought this tobacco because Mark Tinsky at American Pipe smokes it, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

It's got a bigger nicotine hit than I was expecting. The top half of the bowl has a prominent honey taste/smell. The second half of the bowl gets a bit acrid. Smoke it slow or the taste sours and bites. Smokes better in briar than a cob.

Verdict: it's not latakia. Nor does it have the special flare of Scottish Cake for when I want something that isn't latakia. Not bad but pretty boring. Won't buy this again.

Croaker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Croaker (13)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a moderately-bodied cased Virginia-Burley. The nicotine strength is unremarkable and it can't be smoked quickly. The casing is more like a sweet rum-based cocktail than the straight rum flavor often associated with navy flakes. The tobacco has a sharp yet somewhat pleasant aroma. My bulk sample came at the right moisture level for smoking. The flake is hard to rub-out to a ribbon; however, it has very good burning characteristics partially rubbed out or folded.

I disagree with most of the reviews here. I found Navy Flake possess an unremarkable sweet aromatic and natural tobacco hybrid flavor. Moreover, this blend ALWAYS bites my tongue. Navy Flake is certainly not horrible; if it didn't bite my tongue I would give it two stars.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bought a tin of this a couple of years ago and it took some effort on my part to plough my way through the whole thing without throwing it away. I assummed this was due to my return to flakes, having spent a number of years on aromatics. Having spent the last couple of years or so sampling a good number of flakes, I was tempted to give Mac B's Navy another try, only to be told by my tobacconist he was out of stock, I did however, come across a sample of Navy Flake some weeks later, which I duly tried only to be dissapointed by a distinct caramel / honey taste which is not what I expected from a Navy Flake. Again, I left this alone for some weeks and fired up a bowl just as I started to write this (with the intention of reminding myself as to just what I'm bitching about) the tobacco has now the charecteristics of rubbing out cornflakes, this pleases me not, it does however seem to smoke a lot better, but I like my tobacco straight from the tin, slightly moist and pliable, and there are so many excellent flakes out there which can be smoked in this way. This one, sadly for me, is not one of them. I will not say that I will not buy this one again, I might, but with the view to leaving it for a couple of years. I therefore feel that I must disagree with my esteemed and distinguished company and give it only two stars, which is one more than I had originally intended.

jmrtsus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jmrtsus (10)
Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Great stuff...smallish flakes of a medium thickness, moisture is good as opened but I store my tobaccos in a humidifier at about 70% RH. The rum taste is hardly noticeable to me. I must confess to loving flake tobacco and have tried this as a whole flake and rubbed out prior to smoking. Whole flake is cooler and milder, if you need the full strength hit, rub it out...I liked the tin I tried so much I bought bulk the next time. Similar to C&D Blockade Runner but milder and smokes cooler I think. This one is a keeper and a match made in heaven with a System Pete!

rincewind8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rincewind8 (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I guess it should be smoked Mac Baren way, rubbing out emphasizes low moisture level, gives tongue bite and destroys complexity of flavour. Great tin aroma though, Winnie the Pooh would love it. I'll be honest here - I went halfay through the tin before I decided to break flakes and mix them half'n'half with freshly opened Old Gowrie which tends to pack quite a bit moisture. I ended up with very interesting mixture. I won't buy Navy Flake anymore, but I think I'll give the new Vanilla Flake a go.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I would say to save your money with this one. I had higher expectations for this one and loved the tin aroma but unfortunately the tobacco didn't have much taste to me. Also, the vanilla-like aroma disappeared after being lit for a few minutes.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)

This tobacco packs and lights very easily. It would be a very good starter blend. It is also not as complex as some of the other blends in my current rotation. It would serve well as a good morning pipe, but I prefer it as an after lunch treat. It is better in a small to medium bowl because of its light (somewhat bland) taste. Upon initial light, the flavor is fairly sweet as most VA tobacco is, but as the bowl progresses it becomes more nutty and earthy. The tobacco burns to a very fine ash and leaves nothing behind in the pipe after a pipe cleaner or two. I prefer a slightly more complex pipe in most cases but this one seems to fit the bill when I have to be considerate of other people and I do not want to smoke an aromatic. Overall a great tobacco, I would recommend anyone give this smooth smoking, mild tobacco a try.

Than Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Than (14)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first flake that I have tried, and I truly enjoy it. Have received compliments on the room note. Smooth with no bite. A Must Try.

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I bought 2 100gr tins of this baby, based on the overall very favorable reviews.

Nice flakes, dark brown with yea, seems like a light honey casing.

Easy to break, packs well once properly rubbed, upon lighting reveals a pure tobacco taste combined witha more nutty than honey after taste.

Gets a bit stronger past mid -bowl, but misses something: strength and a nicotine kick...

Solani Aged Burley Flake, even though more expensive, delivers on the taste and nicotine kick side. Not MacBaren Navy Flake. And Solani is of higher quality.

If you prefer quantity, MacBaren is your choice.

If you prefer quality, Solani is your choice.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

First, a couple of caveats. I've never been a huge fan of flaked leaf, and MacBaren blends have always been bitey to me. Now with those out of the way, I love Navy Flake. It's primarily a Burley blending, but the Virginias are of obvious quality, and there's also the sweet MacB Cavendish present. I have to up the general taste from the majority of reviews from Mild to Medium, to Medium. My opinion, is all. I can even enjoy this in my largest pipes. If I was made this way, I could imagine this as an all-day blending. I'm primarily a Latakia/Oriental lover, and when I want straight Virginias, I head to Hal-O-The-Wynd and/or Old Gowrie. Navy Flake is a wonderful mixture for those days when this just feels right. It's remarkably cool and dry, and stays lit. What else can I say? Now I have to be patient and see how well this ages.

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

There's very little I could say here that hasn't already been said. This is a great smoke! Flavor's good, smokes well, not too hot. Recommend!

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Mmm, a rum soaked burley brawl!

With the weight of reviews already laid before you, I think you'll have no problem in guessing what the appearance and taste is like for this one - so I won't go into this any further.

It's rummy, burley centred and rather yummy, enough said.

SIDE NOTE:

Navy Flake mixes very (very) well with perique. If you want a smooth as silk smoke with an extra kick, then NF can easily cope with the addition of upto 25-30%. Only Rattray's offerings can cope with such a quantity, so this is a good alternative. Especially with the current problems with obtaining Rattrays in the UK at the moment.

Ajr37 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ajr37 (6)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first time (and probably the last) that I disagree with pipestud. I absolutely hated this! The casing was sour and unpleasant, it smoked with the refinement of napalm and was way overpriced. There is also some taste at the back of this that really put me off. I am a real flake lover as it fits with my work and leisure time perfectly but this one to me just detracts from the genre. Avoid this and go for something else.

Ok, three bowls into this blend...this is one of the nicest flakes I have seen in tin. Nice compact squares, dark brown with some light streaks. It is a great compact sized tin to carry and the flakes are piled one on top of another instead on their sides spooning each other. The flakes are easy to remove and are quite sturdy.

The scent of this flake is similar to many in the MB line...sweet...but appealing. After taking out a flake I rubbed it out slightly and packed it loosely in the bowl.

This lit well and stayed lit moderately well. I smoked this in a smallish bowl, bent Peterson system, and it worked very nicely.

The initial flavor is that of a semi fruity virginia with a familiar tang, but it soon mellows to a smokey, toastiness (burley)and the flavors compliment each other very well. As the bowl burns down the strength increases slightly and becomes more full. The volume of smoke is medium and nicotine content seems to be mild.

Room note was very pleasant, but I have yet to puff this one around my lady friend. She said that as long as I am no longer smoking cigarettes that anything I put in a pipe will be just fine by her....HA! I tried her out with some DH light flake and she complained...I think I was duped into quitting...eh its for the better.

Update 09/09: This flake has become very boring to me...it lacks depth that I use to find in it and it fails to satisfy my smoke-tooth. Very flat, the nutty sweet aroma is its only saving grace.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

Good stuff. I am not a big fan of burley blends, i find them a bit boring. This blend is good though, easy to pack and light, good flavor, and no tongue bite. I like smoking flakes in my den when i'm reading because i can puff and puff for a very long time.

I like this stuff but I can easily do with one 50gr tin once in a blue moon, just for a change of pace, not the kind that I would smoke often.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

After liking the Vintage Syrian so much, I got brave and decided to try the Navy Flake based on the reviews. Well, I should have quit while I was head! To me, Navy Flake tasted just like all of the other Mac Baren blends; very sweet, bitey and smoked hot.

The tobacco quality is very good, and the flakes are very pretty, but not liking to my tastes. I much prefer Samual Gawith flakes.

Arun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arun (7)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Just after encountering Navy Flake I quitted Mixtures (both Scottish and Danish blends). This is one of the best tobacco smoking with best pipes. I highly recommend NF both aromatic and non aromatic lovers.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a classy tobacco. Open the tin and the Gold Embossed MacBaren name on the foil is a pleasure to look at. Open the foil, and here are two neatly stacked piles of flakes. The smell is like a honey virginia. After some drying and packing....Initial light if a nice virgina burley taste. Like most MacBarens the flavor is very 3 dimensional. Cruising speed through the bowl has a mild, to almost imperceptable honey taste mixed with a nice, slightly sweet virgina and cigarish burley taste. The flavor profile does darken as the bowl progresses- getting more burlish toward the bottom- Which is not a bad thing. With proper prep, no hint of bite....Nicotine was a tad below med....But very satisfying (only one flake used). All in all, a great Navy cut. I think it would have been a truer navy with a rum addition...But nice. Recomended.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Update: Am bumping this up to four stars. With the right pipe, this stuff is every bit a quality smoke as anything else. It tastes just like it smells, and might end up replacing my treasured Orlik Golden Sliced if I can find it for as cheap.

I am surprised; a MacBaren tobacco that didn't set my tongue on fire. I just had to give MacBaren one more try. Their tins look so cool, and would be perfect for keeping nuts and screws in once empty.

Honestly, the flakes were very easy to seperate, and a nice brown color with lighter speckles intermixed. The aroma was very pleasant, smelling mainly of good virginia tobacco. I will say that I didn't dare rub it out one bit; I just folded up a flake and stuffed it in a smallish sized pipe. On first light I detected this tobacco's desire to bite, I could tell it really wanted to. But, after getting the char and having the pipe going good, it settled down to a managable tingle.

The taste was really good, but rather on the mild side. If you like a full flavored virginia, this probably won't do. But it does have nice flavor, and is worth the extra care you have to take to prevent tongue bite. As long as I took just tiny draws, I was able to enjoy the smoke with no bite. But be careful, as one good hard pull will produce a scorched tongue. But the quality of the tobacco is worth this extra care. So, as long as you don't smoke your pipe like you're trying to suck water through a brick, this is a good smoke. Not up to my level of taste expectations, but still good.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

This is a good quality tobacco, but a bit too bland for me- the burley isn't very interesting, and the Virginia not strong enough to off-set the bland burley.

If you want a tasty traditional Navy blend, try the McClelland Navy Cavendish, a dark brown Virginia with dark rum, a great winter outdoor smoke!

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Man oh man, have I been through some tins of this stuff. It is readily available where I live. I think I have smoked all the old (horizontal print as apposed to vertical) tins there are within a one hundred kilometer radius. You get the Idea. It's good stuff. The MacBaren burn seems not to be an issue for this tobacco.. Taste: Burley,sweet,cav,spice,honey. Not heavily aromatic. Crack the tin, and in two days it's bone dry, no goop, no glop. Easily rehydrated. Much like Dark Twist, but a little less caramel cavendish. yeah, the best MacB I've had. Plus the emptied out tins are perfect what I usually smoke, Bulk McClellands and Gawith flake.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I just cannot find anthing to recommend this blend.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Navy Flake is a mild and cool smoke with a very smooth burley taste topped with a very subtle honey like casing. Easy to rub out and a great all day smoke. I love this flake becasue it has a burley taste not one of a VA. One of my favorite Macbaren blends!

RickPiatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RickPiatt (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This was my first journey into the MacBaren world after four years of avoiding the product line. I previously had tried Mixture, Mixture Mild, Black Ambrosia, and Scottish Mixture hating them all in turn (at that time I was an ardent aromatic smoker). Since that original foray, I've stepped away from aromatics having grown to appreciate a good burley and adore a full bodied virginia. Navy Flake seemed to be a natural progression in my smoking experience. Needless to say, after my previous experiences with those tobaccos listed above I was highly skeptical that this would be much better. Boy, was I in for the happy-man-dance suprise of the century. The mixture of Burley / Virginia with just a touch of Cavindish (to satisfy my old days of cavendish aromatic passion) is heaven in a leaf to me. The rum topping is tastefully done not being overwhelming in any way. For me, a man with a somewhat whimpy tongue (VA's burn the heck out of me regularly) this tobacco needs be smoked bone dry. I notice a slight lessening of flavor by doing this but the change in the way this tobacco bites back is so dramatic that its worth it. Now, this is an every day smoke for me burning wonderfully down to a clean bowl with minimal gray dottle and few if any relights. When smoked dry as I previously mentioned it is biteless! And, it satisfies my desire for a burley blend perfectly. My highest possible recomendation.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This in my opinion is the most recommendable MacBaren tobacco. The sweetish topping is quite subtle, letting the Burleys and the Virginias make their statements. Smokes cool and dry and is markedly pleasant to those around you. In my experience the flake is usable in all degrees of rubbing, with almost unrubbed performing very nicely outdoors. I'm not a MacBaren or burley fan, but certainly this company knows what to do with burley, a fact demonstrated very well with Navy Flake and London Burley Blend. I like better the 100g tin, because whilst it is still small, it lets you pull out the flakes much easier and provides a good platform for rubbing out.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a good tobacco. I found that the burley base didnt make my mouth feel like a bag of cotton balls when I was finished with a bowl either. It has a light topping of some sort (Danish thing) but is very nice as far as room note goes. This is a mild tobacco and is presented in very nice flake form. I dont think I will smoke this one every day as I tend to like stronger tobaccos, but I will most deffinately buy more to keep on hand for those times a lighter tobacco is in order! Recommended.

pocket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pocket (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my wives favourite. Not that she smokes it, she loves it when I smoke it. But I do not smoke this a lot. It smells delicious in the tin, it burns very easy, it smells wonderful in the room but I cannot get used to it. But as for all MacBaren tobacco's ...it bites a bit on my tongue. I think however that this is my personal problem. I can imagine that another person could like this tobacco very much!

update For some reason my taste seems to be changing all the time. Perhaps because I am a pipesmoker for only 2 years. I smoke this tobacco more than before. Most times in a Bora from BigBen. Perhaps I get used to it but I do not have the tonguebite any more. This tobacco without the tongue-bite is delicous. IMO MacBaren has 2 very good blends, thisone and London Burley Blend.

Pkloop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pkloop (41)

For anyone who's bothered to read this far down, I'll add to the praise given to this tobacco. Mac has done a wonderful job with this winner. Upon opening the tin you are rewarded with an aroma reminding one of sweet oats,not too sweet..just perfect. The flakes are indeed, as Eulenburg noted, a tribute to Mac Barens workmanship. Perfectly stacked on top one another. Loading the pipe couldn't be any easier as this tobacco will lend itself to ANY method you wish to use. Lighting is not going to cause you any problems either, as this tobacco neeeds nothing more than a charing light, quick tamp, relight and your on your way. Even using bad packing techniques won't spoil anything here. This stuff loves staying lit. Taste is as described above, pure Burley with occasional VA notes popping up throughout the smoke. Smokes all the way down requiring few..if any..relights and absolutley NO BITTER BURLEY FINISH. All and all I rate this tobacco tops in all regards, flavor, appearence,burn quality and room note. I was not bitten by this tobacco but could see it happening..watch your puffing cadence here. If you get going to rapidly it can nip. I had this happen only by provoking it. This is a sure-fire wife pleaser here room note wise as well. I predict this tobacco will change some minds about Burley, as it isn't even remotely close to what one finds lavishing in the pouches of drugstores. If you know or are a Burley hater..give this a try or share with them. You will be impressed. This one will taking up alot of cellar space around here, I don't EVER want to not have this on hand. 03/12/05

This is the best tobacco MacBaren makes. My only regret is the tin is not 100grams instead of 50gms. Highly recommended.

Diogenes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Diogenes (12)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I've tried several of MacBaren's offerings and was pleased with the majority of them but was never "bowled over". However after only 2 tins this has easily become my favorite tobacco, easily kicking Peterson's UF to the curb. I just can't say enough about this pipe weed. I prefer my NF on the dry side and let the tin sit open for a few hours after which it's a difficult tobacco to stop smoking. My cellar has quite a few other flakes more than worthy of ripping into but I find it hard to pass up a rub of this ambrosia.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

There are so many good qualities to this burley-dominated tobacco: it has perfect lighting and burn characterstics when only partially rubbed out, which is the way I tend to prepare my flakes; its body is rich and full with great smoke volume, almost like a cigar; and the honey note was very pronounced and pleasant for me after the first half of the bowl (which, coincidentally, is when the Virginias became more pronounced). At the end of the day, though, it remains a burly blend which, like other burley blends, is too light-tasting and one-dimensional for me.

I was thrown off by the "Navy Flake" nomenclature: I expected a straight Virginia with plenty of spice as would befit an MB blend (like Roll Cake). I did like the presentation of the flakes and, especially, the wonderful little square tin, so I'll keep it around and try it again in a year or so on that basis alone.

SmokingWino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingWino (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

It's deceiving as the aroma from the tin is rather different from the actual smoke as it is drier than what the sweetness suggests. Opening the tin and smelling the tobacco, it smells of dried dates - sweet, pungent and acrid.

Upong smoking, it reminds me of a mild Cuban cigar which means it has a nice "full body" of aroma than the normal aromatics. Lovely and firm, though not an exciting room note..

Great anytime of day!

Medium Very Mild Full Very Pleasant

WOW!!!! This blend completely made me change my perception of burley blends. Although I wasn't overly impressed with Barbary Coast and the drug store varieties are sad to say the least, I buckled under pressure from the fellows at the pipe shop and here I am. Burley is great! After two back to back tins this blend has entered a permanent spot on my top five list of Tobaccos that I cannot do without. This tobacco has the best casing I've tried so far; a honey taste that tastes as real as can be. It doesn't interrupt the tobacco taste at all. This tobacco spurred me to buy some other burley blends just to see if perhaps this one wasn't a fluke. So far I have tried Peterson's University flake, Burley London Blend, and pennington gap, and although they have indeed been fine tobaccos, this one is still the cream of the crop. This is the perfect choice in the Oklahoma summertime and if I was stuck on an island with high temperatures, this may very well be the tobacco I would pick for companionship. This tobacco comes out of the tin at a perfect humidity, and gave me absolutely no bite. I hate to be cliche, but it really is better in a corn cob. Go get some and be prepared for pipe nirvana!!!!! (P.S.- My wife loves the room note!!!)

Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best burley flakes I have tried so far: not as light tasting and grassy as Orlick Golden Sliced (which it reminds), nor as acidic as Kingfisher, nor too nauseating as the very similar in looks and taste (but advertised as "Virginia") Treasures Of Ireland Limerick. It's not very strong tasting: a nice interplay of the herbaceousness of burley with a nice sweet note (not overwhelming, in spite of the pronounced honeyish tin note) that keeps you interested for long. All the flavors stay quite light, and don't require much attention for nuances. At the very bottom of the bowl (especially huge ones), it can become a bit ashy and bitter, but no big fuss. Burning qualities are top notch: as soon as I opened the tin, I was able to remove three flakes for smoking as humidity was perfect, and crumbling them in my Mastro De Paja was child's play (the flakes are soft and thin). A quick light, and it took fire immediately, requiring very few relights and not even a pipe cleaner to remove moisture (in an 80 minutes smoke!). And I didn't find it bitey at all. It may not be the best, most complex, tastiest tobacco out there, but it's good, plain and simple (though I slightly prefer the very similar Mac Baren Navy Mixture). I am not fond of it because it's a bit too light tasting for me, but it's good. At the end, somtimes there's a bit of the "bitter burley" curse.

Jumbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jumbo (12)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I very much want to like this blend.

I think it is beautiful to behold, particularly the gorgeous embossed foil surrounding the perfect flakes.

But after four tins over the past year or so, I just hate it. It is hot, flavorless, and an express ticket to Tonguebite City. I have tried it in almost every pipe I have, rubbed out and not, smoked as slow as possible, and it is just awful.

A huge disappointment. I want to like it. It looks great, is obviously of high quality, and so many smokers like it -- it must have something going for it, but....

I've given my other tins to a good home.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)

I was given a tin of Navy Flake by way of a box pass. I was a bit surprised when I read that it was a burley blend. While Burley is not usually my leaf of choice, there are notable exceptions, and I never avoid a tobacco until I have tried it and it has given me reason to avoid it.

The flakes are nicely variegated in shades of light to dark. I prefer mine rubbed out completely, which was easily done. The tin aroma was mildly sweet. Another reviewer described it as being like honey. Sounds good to me, I?ll go along with that.

The flavor was quite pleasant, and there was no suggestion of bite, nor was there any unpleasant after-taste as I frequently find with burley blends.

Navy Flake was a happy experience for me. I enjoyed it from the easy rubbing out of the flake to the way it burned evenly and cool right to the bottom of the bowl. Even the finish was pleasant, and left me wanting more. Subtly sweet, all natural. I could probably smoke it all day long. The room note is nice, with an almost aromatic quality to it. I don?t think there is actually an aromatic topping, I believe that the taste comes from the combining of the natural flavors of the Burley & Va. leaf and the Cavendish process.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is gonna be a combo-review, since I am smoking a 20 year old tin right now, and just finished a new one last week. Oh boy is there a difference or what?!

Of course the ageing makes a remarkable difference, but I'm sure that Mac Baren have changed their recipe along the way..

New Tin This is a nice sweet honey-like burley flake. Gentle on the palate, ok nic-punch and will never get harsh. A very friendly Burley/VA/quite cased flake.

Old fantastic tin OMG! This is a supernatural enhancement of the above. Everything in this version is a 1000 times more present; the softness, the aroma, the casing. (which no longer tastes unnatural) Ok, the nic-level is of course the same. Ahh shucks this is hard to describe...

BUY AGED TOBACCO!!!

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

miles o'toole Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miles o'toole (7)

As a relatively new pipe smoker I have been trying several tobacco's over paste few months. Navy Flake has climbed to the top of my favoritie list as of late. Burns very evenly and takes to the match rather well. Have never had a bowl bite or smoke hot. The taste is of tobacco, but also a tad bit sweet. The aroma is pleasant, reminding me of a mild aromatic. Finishes to a nice light, whitish/grey ash.

Peaches O'Malley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peaches O'Malley (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I tried this tobacco after reading the fine reviews, and I must say I was happy that I did. After two tins, this has made its way into me top 5 regular smokes. The honey top to this compliments the fine burley, and the chewing gum sized flakes make it a pleasure to work with. I like to fully rub out the flakes, and these rub out quite easily. Mac Baren knows burley. Recommended to all, even Virginia purists.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very much a Burley blend this one. I found it to be a fine all day smoke. The Burley tends to tone down the Virginia tendency to bite if puffed hard. The flavor was light and refreshing. Honey I think would be the most appropriate term. I have loved this tobacco since the first of many tins I purchased. A must for all who love flakes and Danish style tobaccos.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

While I am, in general, a fan of MacBaren's tabaks, Navy Flake is not very high on my list. It was the first real pipe tobacco I tried in my first go-round as a pipe smoker, back when I was about 16 years of age. (I am not counting Borkum Riff as a real tobacco here.) I bought it largely because of the tin box. And yes, way back then it was legal for minors to buy pipe tobacco in most states, just not in cigarette form. Well, the tin was cool, but I found the tobacco lacking in flavor. Needless to say, subtlety was not in my repertoire, having my piper's experience based solely on BR cherry. I still have that tin box, my wife keeps pins in it...

Fast forward 20+ years. As I took up the pipe again after several years as a cigar smoker, I once again tried NF for old time's sake and again I found it lacked flavor, but at least it was mildly sweet, which was nice.

Well, after trying a myriad of pipe tobaccos, I have come to the conclusion that burley- at least as an entree- does not have much appeal for me. That said, NF is clearly a quality product, looks nice, has a good tin aroma, and the virginias come through a bit near the end of the bowl. And it does burn nicely, especially for a flake.

I will probably keep my surviving sample and try it out again in a few years. Some day I may become a burley fan. I feel like I am missing out on something...

Oh, yeah. What makes this a "Navy" flake anyway?

DrDottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDottle (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely delicious! I recently discovered this, having read the reviews, and I was delighted from the first. It's smooth, fairly sweet, with lots of rich creamy smoke. It's honeyed, but the honey flavour in no way obscures the tobacco, which is fine Burley, as others have noted. The flavour is consistent throughout the bowl, and the room note is, I think, the most pleasant I've ever found in a tobacco. YOu really should try it at least once.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I found this flake to be surprisingly stout-not what I what expecting from what seems to be a rum and burley mixture. Smells great, tastes ugly. The MacBaren curse, the bitten palate,slapped me the next morning. I'll leave this to the sailors...

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

This is an old favorite I have been smoking for a good many years. Sometime ago I was able to purchase a number of tins for $4.39 each. So, naturally, I bought everything the tobacconist had in stock and this tin has been in my basement for several years. In the tin it smells almost identical to Mac Baren Dark Twist, the aroma of cinnamon toast. It has a smooth sweet tobacco flavor. For me it does not have the distinctive burly flavor of Barbary Coast or Edgeworth Sliced. It does, however, provide delicious tobacco flavor, and is quite sweet. Very easy on the tongue with no bite. In my opinion, this tobacco has often been copied by several German manufacturers in their treatment of Virginia flakes, but has never been duplicated. Despite the sweetness, it could be an all day tobacco because it delivers excellent tobacco taste. This would be a big step up for the aromatic lover. Along with Symphony, Plum Cake, Dark Twist and the Solent Mixture, it is among my favorites from Mac Baren. Paddy.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)

With so many blends out there that are labelled "Navy Flake", from light burleys to dark-fired Virginias, it's sometimes difficult to know what to expect from a blend so named.

In the tin, Mac Baren's Navy Flake is a nicely blended, light burley/cavendish/Virginia flake. It is sweetened with a topping/casing that smells strongly of honey. The flakes are about 3/4 x 2 1/2" and are stacked side-by-side in a convenient little rectangular pocket-tin. The tobacco is pressed in layers of light-brown burley, darker burley cavendish, and what appears to be small quantities of bright VA.

The flakes rub out easily to any consistency. I find that this blend smokes better fully rubbed. Attempts at the roll-and-stuff method have left a wet puddle in the heel, presumably from the casing. Fully rubbed, it smokes dry and cool all the way down.

Despite the fact that the honey flavoring is quite evident in the tin and side-stream smoke aromas, this packs quite a bit of good tobacco taste. The burley is of good quality, and provides nutty toastiness without getting bitter or ashy. The cavendish and Virginia add sweetness and tang, which along with the casing provide a nice melange of flavor - light enough to smoke all day, but substantial enough to be satisfying.

I would recommend MacB Navy Flake to anyone looking to step up from bulk burley aromatics. This is one of the few tobaccos from this blender that I purchase regularly.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

Even though I'm not overly fond of burley, this is a nice tobacco. It burns slow and has a mild nutty taste. The flakes are not overly moist, but can powder a bit when crumbled, resulting in a mouth full of dust. The bowl lights easily and retains a nice tobacco flavor from top to bottom. If you like burley it would be difficult to do better than this.

TnT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnT (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Add my name to the list of VA flake smokers that enjoys this blend in spite of the fact that it's mostly burley. This is a very smooth smoking tobacco that to me has a sort of buttery flavor.

It burns clean and dry, requires few (if any) relights, and is flavorful enough to be an all-day smoke.

If it was available in bulk - it would be perfect. Highly recommended!

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

I really can't add much to what has already been said about MacBaren's Navy Flake.

Tin aroma is sweet and I'll accept the honey aroma from the previous reviews. ...This little tin is really neat and handy. ...The tobacco is layed in there all nice and neat. ...I am really impressed with the quality of MacBaren's tobaccos and their rectangular shaped little tins. ...Their marketing people are on the right track.

A dominate Burley blend that really weds with the Va & the Cav (especially the Va); in such a way that one senses smoking 3 tobaccos in 1. ...Or 1 tobacco in 3. Very well done MacBaren.

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (40)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

By far the best burley blend I've enjoyed. It burns well and doesn't bite as much as some of the MacB blends. The flakes are about the size of a stick of chewing gum. It rubs out well with minimal effort.

Light woody/nutty flavor, pleasant subtle aroma. This is good smoked straight but it also can be a great blending tobacco. My recipe for "Stumpy's Blend" (named after one of my cats) is one navy flake, one disc of Mac Baren Rollcake and a sprinkle of St. James Parish Perique. It's a good burning smoke with a splash of spice.

Newsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Newsman (9)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice. I like taste of this tobacco, I like burley. Very good for long smoke, for many small puffs. It burns nicely, and it is not hot. I descovered this recently, but I can tell that this is one of my favorites.

A traditional navy flake that is cool, semi-sweet, and will go slowly down the bowl, even if fully rubbed out.

MacBaren hit a home run with this one for me. It is a bit too strong to enjoy all day and night, but as a quiet respite from a long day, you will find this tasty blend to be the ticket for a nice long evening of enjoyment.

The overriding factor of the blend is that is has more burley than virginia in the taste. So, if you are not fond of burley tobaccos, don't join the Navy!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Beautifully cut slices of Va. and Burley, with just a tad of topping. Rubs out easily, lights easily, and provides a delightful, soft, mouthfilling range of tastes. I can pick out the nutty Burley and the sweeter Va., neither drowned by the minimal casing. Smokes well outdoors if not completely rubbed out. An excellent go-to blend in the mild to medium range.

Although a true and expertly manufactured and packaged flake, this one is burley based which is a change from my normal VA flakes. I also don't sense any rum topping that is common to many of the 'navy' flakes that I've tried. This blend is much milder that most VA 'navy flakes. It's probably my favorite MacBaren blend and I can smoke it all day without any bite. I don't rub it out but am still able to obtain an even pack and burn rate in various sized bowls. Perfect moisture content right from the tin that results if few relights. No overpowering casing but a uniform, sweet taste from start to finish. The aroma is liked by others so I often pick this blend when in company. Give it a try.

Govangogh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Govangogh (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

Navy Flake is one of my favorites from Mac Baren. It is mostly Burley with a little Virginia and has a strong Honey-like taste that is pleasurable. It does suffer from the Mac Baren curse that if you smoke it too much in one day, you might get your tongue bitten. This becomes a little better when you let it dry out a bit. This is a good candidate for an all day smoke because it is satisfying and the taste does not get on your nerves but it can get a little boring after a few weeks. It burns well and usually stays lit to the bottom of the bowl without a relight. I also like the tin because it is very compact and being a flake you can take a lot with you. Smoke it slow and it stays friendly. Recommended. Arnold Smith

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a favorite tobacco of mine. Whe I first open the tin, I get a strong smell of honey. The flakes are easily rubbed out, and pack well. The burn rate is nice too.

This is a very sweet Virginia. I enjoy the taste, and feel that it gets stronger as the bowl winds down.

Room aroma is also well liked by others, and is often mistaken for an aromatic.

I have come to the conclusion that either you like MacBaren's tobaccos or you do not. I happen to like their blends and don't find them to bite at all if properly packed and smoked. MacBaron's has three blends in my top ten and this one just might get added to my cellar as well. It has a very sweet pouch aroma somewhat like honey. It is very finely cut ribbon pressed flake with a dark brown color. I have now smoked it dry, somewhat dry, and right out of the bag I was sampled. It is very tender and must be folded with care if smoked that way or it is easily rubbed out. I prefer it folded and somewhat dry, but it changes in behavior and taste in the three different moisture levels. I have not had this aged but I bet it gets even better. It takes a few lights but then settles down in the pipe and stays lit well. I like it in a Kirsten pipe. Upon lighting up, it does have the graham cracker and rum taste that others have found but it burns off very fast and becomes a very sweet, full and creamy smoke. The VA sweetness comes through very well along with the cavendish. But the burley added to this blend really brings those to out and gives it a fullness that keeps one sipping and not puffing. The room note to me was very nice and was not heavy, but subtle. It burned all the way down to the bottom leaving a dark grey ash with a touch of dottle. No moisture or gunk was left in my pipe. I like this blend a lot and will be putting some on my next order to cellar and age to test again. I highly recommend this to all MacBaron lovers and as a crossover to VA blend flakes from burley.

jjacallen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jjacallen (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin aroma is nice, but the rum scent is a bit overpowering and doesn't seem completely natural. The texture, moisture, and physical quality of the flakes is everything you would expect a fine flake to be. It's pliable enough that you can just fold it up and stuff it in, but tender enough that it's quite easy to rub out if you prefer. It's dense enough that rubbing it out won't make it too fine either.

It takes some care to get lit. At least 2 charring lights, but on the third light it burns very evenly. You'll need to empty the ash a couple of times during the bowl as it is extremely fine and will therefore smother your burn, forcing you to relight. So far, by tending the ash carefully, the best I've done is a single relight about three quarters of the way into the bowl.

The taste is full, smoky, sweet, and very satisfying. You must smoke carefully as it, like all MacBaren blends I've tried so far, will bite you if you're too eager. The distinct taste of MacBaren's cavendish is noticeable throughout. The rum casing is most noticeable at the match, but quickly fades to meld flawlessly with the natural sweetness of the tobacco.

This blend is not what I like in the morning, not at all. But it's absolutely perfect in the evening, especially with a glass of whiskey. I've got a pipe dedicated only to this blend, until I find a better navy flake. To be clear: I love this stuff; but I am hoping that I'll find something a bit better. Perhaps one less prone to bite me, since I so enjoy it that I tend to suckle a bit greedily.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

It has been a while since I last smoked Navy Flake (long ago when it was available in 50gm tins) and did not feel I would do it any justice by reviewing it from recollection alone. That being the case, I purchased a tin (100gm) and am smoking a bowl as I write this review.

Upon opening the tin, there was a beautiful sweetness emanating from within and very reminiscent of figs. The flakes were arranged in two rows along the long side of the tin and about 1 1/2 times the width of most flakes. They were fairly thin sliced and broke apart very readily upon taking them out from the tin. They were very fresh indeed. Loading was easy and the pre-light draw tasted of sweet honey. It took to the match very readily and provided for a long, satisfying smoke. It never burned too hot nor did it even hint of biting. The taste was sweet, spicy, and dry in nature. The initial tin note that I first detected (figs) and the pre-light draw taste of honey did translate to the smoke and was very delicious indeed.

Many of the Mac Baren's blends have been faulted for being too similar in taste. For me, the differences, albeit subtle at times, are most definitely there. It has taken me a long time to appreciate those differences. I thoroughly enjoy comparing them and I suppose that is one of the main reasons I've been a big fan of Mac Baren blends for nearly 35 years. Mac Baren's blends their offerings as a master composer would take a theme through many of its variations in a symphony. Interestingly enough, I give NF 4 stars but it is not in my favorites list. For some reason, even though I like it very much, too much of this fine tobacco ruins the experience for me. I like it better as an occasional smoke as that way, I enjoy it immensely.

Mac's Navy Flake is a good, dependable smoke that I can recommend without reservation. In the right pipe, this really sings!

UPDATE 1-27-13: Some reviewers have claimed rum to be present in this flake. I never have tasted such and according to Mac Barens there is NO rum whatsoever in this flake.

Based upon the strength of previous reviews, I bought a 100 g tin of this flake, since I was running low on Richmond Navy Cut and no local tobacconist has that blend in stock.

Upon opening, the tin aroma was full of honey and a touch of rum; not overwhelming, but I cannot resist the comparison: Mac Baren Mixture on steroids.

The slices are half the area of the tin and show an interesting pattern of bright and dark tobaccos. I make it mostly Burley, with enough VA and Cavendish in there to make it interesting. The moisture level on opening the tin was already well- suited to smoking, though some may find it too wet.

Too lazy to rub out the tobacco, I tend to fold a flake and drop it into the bowl. This works best with tall bowls, obviously; my first attempt was in a pan-shaped bowl, and the tobacco had too little room; it burned hot and uncomfortably and turned sour and tarry towards the end. Using tall bowls, this blend is really quite nice; once lit, it'll burn down quietly and comfortably without much maintenance, giving a beautiful Burley taste with the VA and Cavendish prancing around the backstage, the casing practically unnoticeable.

The room note is nice; nothing to write home about, but good, comfortable and agreeable. The VA is more noticeable in the room than in the taste.

Both smoke and taste are even throughout the bowl, and at the very end, there is nothing left but an even, light grey ash.

For those with some experience with medium-strength tobaccos but lacking knowledge of flakes, I think this would make a fine introduction. For me, it's not an all-day smoke, nor a single-shot highlight, but a good, solid tobacco that can be enjoyed in just about any situation.

--update 02-21-2010: From a usually realiable source, I heard this is supposed to be the best-selling flake tobacco on Earth. I have no reason to doubt that.

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Ok so i am still fairly new to pipes. I have only been smoking for 5 years, and am just now getting into flake. I love VA Flakes, Like VA No 1 and Stonehaven. I just cant wrap my head around Navy Flake. The stuff tasted like graphite pencil shavings from when I was a kid in grade school. The roomnote had a heavy pasty cheap ketchup smell. I just couldnt finish it. I just could not. I will have to pass on the Navy Flake until a later date when I have matured more as a smoker. Its not bad, its just not for me.

I was able to get another chance to try this again. I must say I had been doing it all wrong the first time. I smoked fast the tobacco was to wet etc etc. This time I was prepared, I let the tobacco dry out and forced myself to smoke slow. WOW a whole new flavor world. Sweet hay and dry country air come to mind and palet when I smoked it. I enjoyed every puff. I like Navy flake. I bought 8 oz and am letting it dry and its going to be #2 in the rotation.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I?ve smoked Navy Mixture in the past. It is not a favorite of mine, but I do like it and whenever I find a tin I buy one. Just recently I found a tin of Navy Flake. It is indeed very similar to the mixture, but the flake version somehow gives it a richer, fuller, and sharper taste.

I guess the process of pressing the tobaccos helps to condense the natural sugars, oils and resins to the extent of making the flake version more palatable. The flake is beautifully presented, with a very nice aroma: sugary and warm. But the flavor isn?t that sweet. I guess the Virginias used in the flake are treated the same as Virginia Flake, but the added Burleys and Cavendish provide more richness and depth of flavor. I believe there might be a slight rum topping.

Unlike the mixture, Navy Flake has no tongue bite and it burns nicely. Someone has said this is a classic. I believe it is, even when the flavor is not that common or familiar as other flakes. Personally I enjoy Dunhill?s Light Flake, Stokkebye?s or Rattray?s Virginia flakes much more, but this one isn?t bad at all. A nice alternative to flake smoking. Recommended.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Very tasty, balanced blend. It all comes together well, with a particularly nice spicy retrohale. No one component overwhelms - the combo just plain works well. Perfect from the tin, with no messy preparation - just fold and go! Burns clean all the way through. 4*.

Pipe Used: Italian Basket 35+ years old.

Age When Smoked: APR 2012 on label

Purchased From: Smokes on Burdick, Kalamazoo, MI

Durwood Sauls Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Durwood Sauls (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first bought this I thought I'd like it. I've had the same tin for almost 5 years now. At first I would break and roll up the flakes as per MacBaren's suggested technique on their website. Initially, it tasted of a miscellaneous topping with a rather nondescript tobacco mixture. When I first got my tin it was way too moist. It has since dried out and I have actually had to re-moisten it because I've had this tin for so long. That should be a testament to how much (or little) I like to smoke this stuff.

I've found that for whatever reason I prefer the taste of a fully rubbed out flake instead. Oddly enough as time has gone by the tongue bite has subsided, a bit. I loosely pack the one pipe that I have reserved for my "aromatics." Mind you I don't smoke anything cased/topped heavier than Navy Flake or Lane's BLWB. Neither seems to ghost my aromatic pipe.

As time has worn on I find this to be a nice mild smoke. The topping has transformed from a bitter honey to a more sweet honey, which is nice in my book. It is definitely not the most flavorful blend I smoke. But now when I'm looking for something unassuming to smoke in the evening with some cheap whiskey and PBR this fits the bill. It's great on cold nights, mindlessly puffing away, drinking cheap swill.

I'm guessing it's whatever MacBaren cased or topped this flake with that turns me off about it. Not having tried other "navy" styles or rum infused blends I can't tell if that's what I don't like about it. I thought for sure the virginia, burley, cavendish aspect would be a winner for me. I adore other blends with a similar mixture, although none of the ones I like are flavored. Maybe it's the Va/Bur ratio, or too much cavendish. Too much of that definitely turns me off.

Tasting note: Although this is a mild blend the flavoring added clashes with quite a lot of drinks and foods. For instance, I figured it would be mild enough to start my day with. It was, however, the honey-like flavor does NOT go well with a cup o' joe. Which to me is odd. Because if it were a rum flavor I would assume it wouldn't be bad with coffee.

Room Note: I think this smells quite nice. It has a sweet tobacco aroma that reminds me that it is an aromatic. The nice part about the smell is that it doesn't seem to linger, not like heartier english blends or more aromatic offerings.

Rating: I can't recommend this one, but I also can't say don't try it. It's sort of a classic. In five years time I've only managed to smoke half of a large tin. I have to be in the mood for this one and it's only becoming the one I reach for because I have so much left of it and it was fairly cheap to begin with.

Age When Smoked: new to several years

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I just tried a tin of this. I'm not thrilled, I must admit. It's all right, and I didn't find that it burnt hot, as some others have complained, though it does burn rather quickly for a flake; but I thought it a bit ordinary and lacking interest and "body." As is so often true, the experience of smoking it doesn't live up to the delicious tin note. Not objectionable, by any means, but ... meh. If you want a tasty cased flake, Erinmore Flake or Peterson's University Flake are much better - more substantial - than this, for more or less the same price.

It's well presented, though, and it doesn't need drying or airing: you can smoke it straight out of that handy little tin (though I see that this has not been everyone's experience). Somewhat recommended, I suppose; but not a tobacco I would buy again.

I know that we are supposed to say that MacBaren tobaccos burn hot, but this was not my experience with Navy Flake. I do find the flakes too moist, and you can either leave a flake out or open the tin and wait a couple of weeks. This is a tasty mild VaBur on the burley side of things. It has a mild honey topping and a whiff of rum flavor. It is a good solid smoke, and I will buy it again.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Nice, forgiving burning characteristics. Different tastes linger, woody/hayish, whiskey/amaretto, and at times a "fishy" taste. Nice "numby" mouth aftertaste. Nice "chocolate" bowl smell.

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

First try: Disappointed. There is taste there, but hard to get it. Very boring. Got a little better half way through the bowl. Burns hot for what it is, but that could just be me trying to find flavor. Certainly nothing offensive, but very little taste. Put it down halfway through the bowl. Was a bit tastier when I finished it about an hour later. Mild stuff. There are far more interesting things out there. I wanted to like this. It is extremely high quality and the presentation is top notch. I love flakes. I smoked it in a barely broken in cob so....To be continued...

robsm2013 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robsm2013 (6)

Great all day smoke - good quality tobacco - stays lit, not too moist out of the tin; not overly complex, flavors lingering in the background - must try

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (53)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great flake with a nutty and slightly spicy taste and a honey topping, the smoke is light and not very sweet. Solid stuff!! 29/06/2103: i am smoking this one everyday since i tried , and its getting better and better. great all day baccy!!!

funkychorlton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkychorlton (5)

This is not at all horrible but must be the single most boring tobacco I have smoked. One-dimensional, and doesn't go anywhere or do anything. If you want something light and fresh to smoke in places you wouldn't smoke a stinky Lat then try Holgar Danske's Navy Flake instead.

The casing/topping, light though it is, makes it pretty much unsuitable for (my kind of) blending, so this will sit in my cupboard for a long time until I figure out what to mix it with.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The quintessential MacBaren. Been smoking off and on for 10 years. This tobacco needs air like all from this company. I leave the tin cover off overnight, put it back on, and then wait a week or two, or longer. Hard to resist the temptation when these beautifully presented flakes are neatly stacked in a square tin with a wonderful aroma. This practice takes off the propensity to bite and enhances burning qualities.

Generally smoke in a pipe that can hold two folded flakes. Some shredded bits on top to get it goin, and you are off.

Starts off sweet and hay like. Slight tang of Va. The sweet honey essence wears off and it becomes a more burley forward smoke by mid bowl. Flavor profile is very similar to other MacBaren product and always consistent from tin to tin. Room note has a somewhat astringent like quality to this smoker. Good and enjoyable to the end if not pushed.

Not a complex one, and a tobacco that can be enjoyed while engaged in daily activities. Great and longer lasting outdoors where those OTC burleys burn in overdrive. 3 stars.

zachchandler92 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zachchandler92 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is definitely the quintessential flake. It's mild, smooth, nutty, and peppery.

Tin note: sweet rum

Room note: nutty, slight spicy smell

Taste: Nutty, peppery, very smooth, slightly sweet

Overall: Wonderful! It lit fairly easily for a flake. It doesn't smoke hot, has a really smooth texture. No real nicotine hit. I really love the flavor. This goes well with both a mild dark rum and iced tea.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This is my usual review for MB:

Many tins in the MB line seem to taste similar to me, and they smoke in the same fashion as well. They taste bland...are HOT/Tongue-Biters...and smell like potpourri. I cannot recommend this product. Today, for this, I give 2 stars. Nice flakes, decent flavor and no pipe mutating flame thrower effect. Will not be a regular, but was nice to see a different MB product.

Taraban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taraban (9)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Awful, never again! // I can smoke it, I won't buy it // = Quite good, worth trying // * Must-have, I'm happy

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time I tried this tobacco (in '94 or '95 I think, give or take a year or 3), I was fairly new to higher quality tobaccos, and I was understandably impressed. Back then I'd have rated it a full 4 stars without reservation, but it was more along the lines of a grade school ball player being impressed by the bigger kids in high school. Since then I've smoked many tins of the stuff and, while I still enjoy it a great deal, I'm not nearly as easily impressed these days, and can see it for what it really is: A very nice (if a little overpriced) aromatic Navy flake that's slightly boring but a great overall smoke. It won't bite or overwhelm you with nicotine, or run everybody else out of the house while you smoke (or force you to go outdoors). It has a nice fruity flavor, burns and smokes very well, and has no actual bad qualities, but by the same token, it doesn't have any truly remarkable qualities, either. I feel like it's missing a little character, but damned if I know how it can be perfected so it's probably best to accept it as it is and enjoy it.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I recently got to try a tin (and a little more!) of this flake in a classic version; if I had to guess (based on some research of course), from between 1986 and 1992. I think it is a good basic flake, but have not had a less well-aged version to compare it to. I prefer the very well-aged MB roll cakes, but this is just fine, and neat to try a classic in an aged version in any case.

Nothing much to say about the smoke itself: it's just a basic VA flake to my tastes, and old Mac Barens give me no problems with bite. Maybe a touch of sweetness to it, MB's honey thing, but just a touch. Mild, pleasant smoke.

Added note: I can taste the rum just a little bit, but this stuff is just too old! Honey, however, has survived mummified pharaohs!

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Just popped my first tin of MB Navy Flake. I've pretty much enjoyed every MB blend I have tried and being in a flake faze at the moment, I couldn't pass this up. 100g at a fair price. Typical flake packaging. Beautiful cut flakes with just about every hue of brown there is. Smell is sweet and sour with a hint of that MB honey top. Fold and stuff 1 slice fits perfect in my Kapet Canadian. Lights easy. Nice, smokable tobacco. I'll drop a few line after smoking the tin.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This came reasonably dry in the tin, at first I didn't like it, but it grew on me, sorta.. Very nice burn qualities, I made a mm diplomat 3/4 full of broken flake last 1 hr. Pretty low in nicotine, comparable to most other McB blends. The rum flavouring is nice, sweet but musty, I suppose you could call it balanced.

I'm not sure if I'll buy more, this goes into the same category as their vanilla flake, it's ok. Definately not money wasted.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

High quality tobacco without a doubt but I don't get much from this mixture. A very slight dry grass & oat like sweetness comes forth on charring light and the honey overtones are noticeable in the aroma. I would never guess that this had any Rum topping whatsoever, obviously MacBaren applied it very lightly. If you are a power puffer, this mixture will destroy your tongue. It stays lit pretty well and the smoke has a fairly weighty body to it, but as the bowl progresses it lacks complexity and any favorable flavors fade into an ashy high quality cigarette type taste. A decent enough take on the Navy Flake, but there are way better options out there.

R. C. Marquard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
R. C. Marquard (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

I was very excited to try this blend after reading so many positive reviews on and watching many video reviews on YouTube.

Opening the tin: Being mechanically minded, it struck me as off-putting that the lid will become inevitably misshapen and therefor will not easily be resealed. The immediate aroma is that of a field of hay with a touch of sweetness akin to honey. The finishing scent is certainly that of subtle rum that may not be detected or appreciated by those of you that do not enjoy a swig from the captain's flask. Visually intriguing, each flake is nicely homogenous.

Flake detail: A new tin will certainly be simpler to handle due to the tobacco being somewhat moist; albeit not so moist as to prevent lighting the flake. Each flake is generously sized and will fill most smaller to medium bowls comfortably. If you have a large bowl and are a first-time flake smoker I would recommend starting with a single flake, or even half.

Lighting and smoking: The first time I tried this flake I used the fold and stuff method as per the recommendation of a YouTube friend. This provides an easy light and a fairly even burn. The smoke produced is quite opaque, but not copious. I immediately noticed the boldness of this flake. It will bite the tongue of the more aggressive smoker, but the manner in which the flake burns makes it unnecessary to puff profusely.

The room note is NOT that of "caramel cookies" as I had been led to believe. It is quite pungent and will even cause a sting in the nostrils if deliberately smelled. Consequently, I do not recommend releasing the smoke through your nose. Nicotine is present, perhaps even pronounced, but I do not harbor an addiction to quell.

After thoughts: The taste is lingering and a somewhat pleasant compliment to various foodstuffs and drink such as grapes (strange, yes), chocolate, rolls, coffee, but certainly not beer.

Conclusion: This is a strong smoke with a lingering room note of heavy smoke. Your hands will smell of this mix for a number of hours following the completion of the bowl. I would recommend that you sample this blend if possible before purchasing an entire tin. I have found that I prefer to smoke this flake only occasionally. Also, the fold and stuff method delivers a more tolerable smoke than if one were to rub out the flake and pack the bowl more tightly as with a loose blend. Happy Smoking to all!

Ratcat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ratcat (30)

This stuff is good. It burns amazingly. Keeping this stuff lit is a no brainer. It is mild and gentle. Very little casing, it is a very natural smoke. One thing, I need to pack this one a bit tighter then usual in order to achieve a slow sweet burn. Amazing, very enjoyable!!

JustOneforMe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustOneforMe (28)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I have now smoked several Mac Baren offerings and will not review them any further since they are extremely not to my liking. If interested in my thoughts about their line of tobaccos then just see my review on Burley London, it pretty much sums up this vapid weed give or take a slight aromatic difference (vanilla, cherry etc...).

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

The 188th review of a Mac Baren classic will not contain any new information :) This is simply a very good all-day tobacco, bronze-brown flakes perfectly packed in a handy tin, with excellent honey+ketchup aroma. Good quality tobaccos are used here, Burley being the leader with the good-ole Mac Baren Cavendish. Packs easily (I usually rub out lightly), smokes easily, doesn't need the smokers attention at any time, just some tamping every now and then. Be careful, being a MB, the genetic disposition is tongue-bite - though not as bad as their pure VAs. It's not an orgasmatically superb tobacco, but an excellent smoke for the everyday. 3.5 stars - very good performance for comparably low price!

Connoisseur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Connoisseur (33)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I like a good burley now and then to keep the palate alive and in my opinion, there are few good ones that really tickle my fancy. Mac Baren Navy Flake is not one of them. Unlike London Burley, which has a wonderful cut and taste(albeit extremely mild) the Navy Flake is a touch too dry and quite frankly a little boring. One thing I will say is it is consistent from tin to tin - and I have smoked a few - only because I have been able to secure it at bargain prices from supermarkets in Malaysia,where it is quite common. This is one of the few tobaccos where on several occasions I have discovered almost full tins of this tobacco lying abandonded and dried up at the back of my tobacco "cellar" and various other places.

Zeno_Croatia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zeno_Croatia (7)

I tried this tobacco for the first time today, based on the reviews I saw here. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. It burn better then the rest tobaccos I've tried (Peterson XMAS 2009, Mac Baren Original Choice and Vanilla Cream, Holger Danske Vanilla and Mango), it has real tobacco feel, smells a bit strong, but still better then the cigarettes I smoke. :) Wife rating is good, but not as good as with Original Choice and Vanilla Cream.

It's nicely packed, really handy for fast packing. I use 3 layer packing with the rest of tobaccos, but I tried fold method here and it worked like a charm.

So yes, I would recommend this.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Gave this flake blend a try this evening. It smokes cool and smooth, though I believe it's mostly a Burley blend as it does have a decent dose of vitamin-N. Seems the Virginia and Cavendish are added in to offset the nic hit of the Burley. As usual with Mac Baren though it's a great quality leaf with just the right amount of flavour. Definately will keep a tin around for an occassional smoke.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

It was a nice surprise for me that this baccy contains just the right proportions of the components, and its strenght is also exactly for my taste. Prefer it in the colder seasons, autumn and winter. It is a good partner for an afternoon walk, and also perfect for drinking some beer or some wine. Sufficiently sophisticated, but there's no baroque-kind of exaggeration in it. So i recommend it to everyone, who wants a tasty, well balanced daily tobacco.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)

When I traveled to Israel, I got this tin from the Duty Free, just to make sure I'll buy something on that trip too. Burley, Cavendish, Virginia are its contents.The bowl is filled very effortlessly, and as easily it lights up. Like all Mac Baren, it causes tongue bite, especially if you smoke it with bulimia. I wouldn't mind having a tin with me and smoke it once in a while, especially is places where my beloved Latakia may be irritating to others. Medium to high its nicotine dose.

jpbass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jpbass (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

This was a little too spicy for my taste, but someone really into VA blends might appreciate that type of thing. I got some as a sample, and wound up mixing most of it to spice up another blend. I doubt I'll revisit this one.

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (83)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Mac Baren's rendition of Navy Flake category is a decent and uncomplicated stuff, the tin smell portends a good amount of sweetness from both the topping and the tobacco, in effect there's a good sweetness but the blend is mild and well balanced, with nutty-honey-molasses notes (typical Mac Baren's mark) and traces of liquor (maybe Rum?). It smokes smooth and cool without bites and gurgles, very friendly. Personally I prefer a fully rubbing but even folded it's a classic “two matches“ tobacco.

zdalekacelny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zdalekacelny (3)

It's OK but rather boring actually; nothing to elaborate about.

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The Mac Baren Navy Flake is really a classical Blend. I know and love them for many years. The tobacco slices looks very nice and the tobacco is easy to handle. The flavour is maybe a mix between the typical Mac Baren honey note and a bit fruity like mandarins or oranges. In combination with the nice Virgina/Burley base get the taste a really interesting side. It´s a little bit like a summerday :-) Now you know I like this flake very much and the Navy Flake is my favourite Mac Baren Blend. I smoke it not the whole time, but when I opend a new tin I´m looking forward to pack my pipe, because the Navy Flake brings no surprise. You know what you get - an easy and relaxing smoke

Recommended

furious Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
furious (29)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great introduction to the Navy Flake concept of a stout blend that was supposedly smoked by old-time mariners exploring the seven seas. MacBaren's has good flavor and light honey casing that does not interfere with the blend. Burley is evident in room note which can be a little harsh to non-smokers--my wife included. I like this about once a week when I am doing something that requires mild concentration. Nice taste and a great smoke that doesn't demand your undivided attention.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Super nice blend that reminds me of old weathered teak planks on a Schooner with slight leather notes....

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (7)

Rather new to pipes, I have made the usual progression through syrupy aromatics and wanted something with a reasonable aroma, while giving me a greater tobacco experience. When first opened, the smell of honey is quite strong, but pleasant. After letting a flake or two dry out for an hour or so, they seemed ready to go. The first half bowl or so was strong on honey, which faded to a mild flavoring as the nuttiness came through.

I put this tin aside for about a month and have since come back to it with no special attention paid to cellaring. The honey casing is now quite mild. The smoke has changed dramatically. It curiously leaves a grassy, almost fruity scent in my nose and the smoke has mellowed somewhat when breathed through the nose.

The room note, while nice enough, tends to be a little heavy and lingers for a while. The Mrs. doesn't protest too much, but it's not her favorite.

I will buy this again, but will pay greater attention to cellaring to see how it properly ages.

ASKJDOG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASKJDOG (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of my favorites, and I always have a tin on hand. It can bite if it's too moist or smoked aggressively. Tin aroma is honey.. I love it! For about the first half of the bowl the sweetness of the topping comes though, then it levels out to a a robust burley flavor.

fireball Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fireball (36)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is OK. It's quite a sweet flake, a bit MacB-bitey (ie it has the same sharp edges as Plumcake, Navy, Va No.1), quite one dimensional after a while, but not a bad straight Va (with added sweetness). Nicely presented, handly little tin and not expensive.

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (53)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Of all the tobaccos in the MacBaren line I have tried, this is the best. It has a very high-quality appearance and presentation. It has the classic Danish aroma and taste which many other Danish tobaccos have, but it is a bit more gutsy due to it's flake format. It's easy to pack, just fold a flake and loosely stuff it in the bowl. The flavor is very nice with the cavendish, Va, and burley seamlessly blended together. It is pretty mono-dimensional, so if you like a dynamic blend, you wouldn't like this, but for idle puffing, it is very satisfying. There are 2 negatives, however, which make this only an occasional smoke for me. First, it can bite at times, though not as much as the other MacBaren products I have tried. Second, while it smells nice while burning, it leaves an after-smoking aroma of a stale ashtray which lingers in the room for an astonishingly long time.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)

I'll join the chorus of those who find this a reliable, enjoyable smoke. It's not especially complicated, it's far from rare, and it's a long way from expensive. But there's really nothing exactly like it either. I've been smoking this pleasant, Burley-based tobacco for several years off and on, but in the last couple, it's become a go-to blend in the heat of summer. And there's a lot of that where I live.

Like all MacBaren flakes, this is beautifully presented — thin(ish) medium brown flakes with fairly low moisture content. Despite the MacBaren website's lessons on folding and stuffing flakes, I usually prefer to rub this out. I know that many seem to have problems with bite from this flake and I suppose I did in the past, too. But I now reserve the entire MacBaren line for filtered pipes, where they really seem to shine. I'd rather not deny myself access to this fine smoke because of bite issues, considering how easy it is to kick those issues to the curb.

Sipped slowly, Navy Flake yields some delightful flavors. Depending on the day and the pipe, I might find a little rum essence, a touch of chocolate, black tea with honey, autumn leaves. Whatever the flavor profile, it's always pleasant. Nicotine sits somewhere between light and medium, which is probably another reason I tend to smoke this most often on hot days.

I doubt Navy Flake will ever sit at the center of my pipe smoking bench, but it's nice to have it flitting about the edges ready to be called in while the stars are all being treated for hyperthermia.

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

IMHO the quintessential Navy Flake. A mild smoke with a full tobacco flavor. Perfect flakes in the tin, and wrapped in a gold signature paper, this blend of tobacco's doesn't disappoint. You can "fold & stuff", as some reviewers note, but I like to rub a single flake, let it dry, then smoke. No bite, just a smooth, clean smoke.

HokieGeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HokieGeek (23)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this was a decent smoke, although the tin note promised more than it delivered. It had a surprising amount of spiciness but had a pretty good, sweet taste to it. Good room note.

Edit 7/27/2012: Downgrading my first score by one star. I can't seem to really get into this guy. I really want to. It really smells great in the tin but it tastes so bland and at its best it's an OK smoke. I guess it's just not for me.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Good quality leaf, but if you are looking for stronger flavors, you won't find them in this flake, subtle and nice flavors but you must dedicate your attn to it or you will miss it... go for Peterson UF for more of a punch

Doctor Max Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doctor Max (11)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco I would call mixture's big brother. It has everything I found lacking in the mixture. It is fuller, rounder and a little bit less sweet; very well balanced. It has all the features of Mac Baren tobaccos, from the neat tin and tight slices, to the biscuity notes and malty finish (present here in pleasant quantities!). Tin note is rum-raisin, dried figs, biscuits, hay, slight notes of cocoa and leather. It tastes exactly how you would expect from the tin note, maybe a tad on the drier side (which is not a bad thing). Packs and smokes very will with the fold an stuff method. Smokes cool and nice, I find "Mac Baren Bite" largely a myth. Room note is nutty, rum-raisiny, sweet; quite pleasant. Hard to find any weak points in this tobacco. Pleasant from first light to last puff, very consistent throughout.

pipe row19 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe row19 (25)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Yea i was disopointed by this blend. The Tin aroma resembles a hay like smell, anf maybe some honey. As for taste this blend lacks alot of flavor, First time is smoked this wow it was bad. second time it got aittle better, It not really natural tasting, it actually kinda artificail, mac baren mixture is much more natural and sweeter then this. Its slowy getting better so expect an update, but as for now all i can give it is 2 stars

Brown Pipeman 1940 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brown Pipeman 1940 (40)

This was the first flake I ever smoked and turned me into a permanent enjoyer of flakes. Previously, I had mainly smoked aromatics, but this blend made me want to explore different types of pipe tobacco and I am very grateful for that.

As for the flavor, it is a nutty, natural tobacco flavor with a nice touch of sweetness, which I suspect is from the cavendish. It burns wonderfully slow and cool. I puffed on it steadily and never recall any tongue bite. The nicotine hit was a bit overwhelming for me as a new pipe smoker, but I don't notice it now. A great tobacco for a smoker wanting to explore the delightful world of flakes, as well as for the smoker who already enjoys them. I've never tried any of the Samuel Gawith flakes, so I can't compare this with them. But it is because of this blend that I want to try all the different flakes I come across.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

There are a lot of different tobaccos called "Navy." Mac Baren's version of a navy flake is primarily a burley, but supposedly also contains Virginia and a cavendish. The tobacco comes in a very small tin, with the flakes neatly packed inside. Some people simply roll a flake or two up and stuff them into a bowl, but I like to rub out my tobaccos. This is a sort of crumbly tobacco, and when rubbed it breaks down pretty easily. It then packs well into a pipe. For most of my pipes, two flakes was just slightly too much tobacco, though one flake wouldn't have been nearly enough.

The tobacco lit easily, and burned very cleanly. There is a slight undertone of spiciness to the smoke, but it primarily has a nutty flavor typical of burly, and is nicely sweet, though not as sweet as the Virginias I usually smoke. I think there is a honey sweetening in the tobacco. The flavor is more one-dimensional than a Virginia, but that's not a criticism, just an observation. The flavor is a good one. My impartial judge stated that the room aroma was more pleasant than the Virginias I smoke, too.

Mac Baren's Navy Flake DGT's well, which is important to me. The smoke stays cool and dry, and the tobacco burns to a nice, gray ash with little dottle at all. The more I smoked of this tobacco, the more delight I found in it, until I realized that it wasn't going to be a one-time purchase – this is a tobacco I'll keep around to provide a nice break from my usual fare.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)
Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

As others have remarked, the presentation of the tobacco is wonderful with the foil liner and neatly stacked flakes. The tin smell is one of hay. The room note is okay - you won't get thrown out of the house but you won't get any favorable comments either. It burns a bit hot but it won't bite unless smoked too aggressively. The problem is a lack of flavor. I do like the blend but it is frustrating because it is a bit too bland.

morphijuana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morphijuana (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Not my favorite Mac Baren tobacco, but not the worst Ive tried either. From the tin it has a great sweet honey smell and the flakes looked great. The taste... Left me wanting, especially for such an expensive tin. It was rather bland, with an overly sweet taste for my pallet. I'll burn this tin and call it a day I think. Happy smoking!

pipesmoker87 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker87 (14)

Before buying a tin of Navy Flake, I had already known it for a long time, but never bought it. I always saw it in the shelves of tobacco shops when I bought other tobaccos. I actually wanted to buy a pouch of Plumcake, but there was only a 100 g tin left, so I bought this one. And my first impression about it is very positive. At first, I can't understand why so many smokers associate its tin scent with lots of honey and the typical Mc Baren casing. When I cracked the seal and opened the tin to take a breath of it, it just smelled like high-quality,chocolate- like, fine Burley, mingling with a dash of Virginia and Cavendish. Very delicious. I looked forward to smoking it. The fold and roll method seems to be tailor made for this flake, so packing your pipe is no problem with this one. It lights absolutely fast and easy. The taste reminded me of a matured, aged Virginia at first, with subtle sweetness. It left a chocolaty aftertaste in my mouth and this very Burley characteristica is always present in the background until the smoke is over. The taste became more rounded after the middle of the bowl. It leaves only a small amount of dark grey ash. If there really is a sort of topping in this Flake, it is unnoticable, respectively in my tin. Strengh is somewhat around medium and every tongue- bite was absent. A beautifully balanced tobacco. All in all, a very well done Flake. The best one I have smoked so far. Let's see how it proves in the near future.

UPDATE:

It's strange to see how tobacco changes with some airing time after cracking the tin seal. Some tobaccos improve, while others become worse. This one, I'm afraid, has in fact become worse. First of all, when the tobacco had breathed a few days, I could understand what all the talking about its topping is about. Honey!! But sadly, artificially smelling. The main problem I have with this flake- after I have now smoked many bowls of it and feel ready for a valid judgement- is that it loses almost every hint of taste after the middle of the bowl. No matter if I rub it out or not, no matter if I smoke it with filter or not, no matter what pipe I smoke it in- just hot air with a hint of sweetness. A shame, I wanted to like it....

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

MB Navy Flake... With so many Navy, this and that, to choose from, this is one I never got around to trying, so I added a tin in my last on-line order. Tin aroma is real nice, and the flakes are just beautiful, but I just can't get into its smoking qualities. Just not my kind of blend, sums it up pretty good. Add to that I was hoping for something with more manners, this one wants to bite, and leaves me with an unpleasant mouth feel during the smoke.

Many favor this blend and will disagree with my opinion. To them I say, thats OK, after all this is only my opinion, yours will no doubt vary. My findings were gathered from plowing thru a single (seemed huge) 100 gram tin. I'm glad it's over. My personal rating 1/5, because I'm in the minority here, somewhat recommended.

Danotti Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danotti (5)

I put this one No 1 in all other McBaren.My very first flake experience and was a bit frightened if I could smoke properly.,but it was piece of cake to burn and last.Good for beginners like me I guess.Taste is very good according to my standards.Enjoyed this one a lot.

Rodrigo de Xerez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rodrigo de Xerez (16)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Easy to smoke, easy to charge. Good quality leafs.

I had some expectations on this one, but, finally, the Mac Baren toping/casing hurted again.

Perhaps it is a matter of personal chemistry, cause I cannot bear this honey-like thing they put in many of their offerings. I could many years ago, when I was an Aromatic smoker.

Better after a pair of weeks, when this casing tends to vanish a bit.

In my flakes I look for more taste and less device. And normally prefer more Virginia and less to none Burley.

Good if you want a very light and cased tobacco with very thin flakes.

Rdx score: 84.7 (10 pipes smoked)

Southern Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Southern Smoke (5)

Nice even smoke, lights easy and stays lit. My wife likes the like aroma. I've found it smokes best in my Upshall #4.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco was a bit of a disappointment, maybe because I expected it to be at least like Orlik Golden Sliced and it wasn't, it's rather bland, common and cigarette tasting like most MacBarren blends I've tried. It's ok but do not expect to much from it.

BriarChild Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChild (11)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't say enough positive things about this tobacco. It is delicious, slow burning and wonderful. To be honest I didn't realize what an accomplishment this was until I tasted some of Mac Beren's other tobacco choices. This is an amazing tobacco, and stands out from the pack of MacB blends. Cool smoking, flavorful and delicious.

diesel._. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
diesel._. (2)

Opening the tin rewards you with a delicious, plum/fig like smell. Definitely one of my favorite aromas.

This is one of the first flakes I had ever tried when I first started smoking a pipe. I use Mac Baren's suggestion of the "fold and stuff" method. It works and lights very easily with some small loose bits sprinkled on top.

I dry a few pieces of flake on a piece of paper for about a half hour after taking it out of the tin. It also smokes very cool and pleasantly with the room note being very nice.

I love flakes because of the minimal maintenance after lighting and slow burn. Navy Flake is one of my regular go to's, especially in company.

marksman8351 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marksman8351 (21)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This was the first flake that i have ever tried and i can say that i am quite impressed by it. I had no problems lighting or staying lit, it was packaged nicely and i enjoyed a consistent smoke. There definitely is a hint of honey or something like it. Anyone looking to try a flake i would recommend this one.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A lovely flake, thinly sliced with an elegant presentation in the tin - one of the best I have seen. I left the lid off overnight to dry the tobacco to my liking. It smokes wonderfully with a subtle sweetness and mellow notes. No bite and well behaved. MacBaren hits a homerun with this flake.

PipeLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeLover (16)

As a beginner I can say that I was somewhat disappointed that even the best tobaccos don't have the taste I was looking for. Until I tried this one. Most of the top reviews here are for blends with latakia, I can't stand latakia, it smells like burnt tires, and it contaminates everything.

It may be my taste buds, but I love this stuff. I love honey and this blend delivers plenty of that. Some of the more experienced pipers here will probably not agree with me, but I think this stuff is great for beginners and veterans who don't want too heavy of a smoke. And the room note is absolutely delightful, even the non- smokers kept inhaling the aroma. I smoke it daily. I agree with the previous poster that the tin tastes a bit better than the bulk pack. Try it with an open mind, and you will love it.

The Black Falcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Black Falcon (19)

Pop open the tin and you are greeted with a soapy almost chemical smell to this rich tasting blend from MacBaren. But don't let it deter you from its worthy surprise. The brown flake is easy to stuff and load requiring a light or two to get it going and then experience the virginias coming together with the burleys and Cavendish to give you a slightly sweetened and wonderful smoke. I like this one because i can smoke it all the way down to the bottom of the bowl without having to relight, enjoying the Navy characteristics of pressed flake tobacco that offers a detectable amount of chocolate with a tad of honey raisins under it. Delightful and enjoyable along with a decent amount of nicotine you will not go wrong with this wonderful and very interesting blend. I usually purchase three of these at a time because to me the tins seem to taste a little better than the box.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I'm sad to say that I have tasted better flakes.

Yes, there is some kind of a honey aroma. The taste, however, was displaying something unusual that did not agree with me.

And, again, the lack of strength...Such a shame!

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)

Lovely tin aroma of raisin and honey. Flakes are golden brown in colour and seem to be just right in terms of moisture. Loads easily and behaves impeccably in the pipe. Burn is particularly good requiring relights only when one isn't paying attention. Lovely smooth flavours echoing the tin aroma develop nicely throughout the bowl with no bite. A real go to when you need a dependable and thoroughly enjoyable smoke.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Wow! This is good stuff.

In the tin it smells of chocolate and honey. The two rows of flakes are pleasing and appetizing to the eye.

I folded and stuffed, and it lit right away straight out of the tin and stayed lit, smoking right down to fine white ash around an hour later. The chocolate taste stays, and deepens right to the end, but doesn't detract from the taste of the tobacco. Lovely and rich from start to finish, with little or no bite. Staight to the number one spot in my list.

To repeat: Wow!

yankee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yankee (12)

very good,slow burning flake tobacco with wonderful honey aroma. smoking with a small puffs you will ensure maximum taste and long lasting pleasure. it goes very good with caffe.

Angelos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Angelos (8)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I smoke this tobacco in only 2 of my pipes.The smallest ones. With just 1 flake, I get a smoke of 1:40 hour.Very steady and dry. It's a tobacco with "own character" and it's not reccomended to force the smoke.Lay low, and enjoy.keep several seconds between puffing and be gentle.You are going to get what you wished for.I don't let it dry for more than 15 minutes.So that its chocolate-like aroma stays "fresh"

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)

Looking thru my reviews I find I've neglected reviewing MacBaren Navy Flake. This is one of my favorite tobaccos. I use the MacBaren "Fold & Roll" method when the tobacco is still moist enough to fold. When it dries out & is no longer foldable I rub it out a bit. This is one of the few tobaccos I've smoked dry as last Fall's leaves & still enjoyed the flavor. It has a good room note & the taste is a balance of the Va., burley & Cavendish w/ each playing it's part & not overpowering the others. Navy Flake is a "premium" aromatic & is more of an everyday smoke than their Vanilla Cream Flake.

Plunket Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Plunket (39)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes - Virginia, Burley, Cavendish combination, and I think the only MacBared offering I keep coming back to. As with any MacBaren blend, it 'smarts' the tongue just enough to let you know it can and will bite, if it is not smoked with due respect.

If smoked at its own pace this is a very rewarding smoke indeed. Contrary to MacBaren's own recommendation of folding and filling, I find a full rub-out and a loose fill in an oversized bowl really does draw out the full flavour and intensity of this blend; it also, in my opinion, reduces the dreaded bite'.

5 stars MacBaren!

ivycap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ivycap (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a Va/Burley blend but it seems to lean toward the Burely. The flakes are well aged. Taste is full with very light notes of honey and rum, but the notes are barely noticable. Pleasant smoke. Smoke slowly.

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (35)

ONE OF THE BEST"Navy-Flakes"ON THE MARKET!!!Haven't been able to get this in Canada;for over 5yrs(just finished my last tin). .It also Cellars Well...Very mild,long as you don't get in a hurry...RELAX And Enjoy :+))

Armac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armac (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the past two years, I suspect I've tried most Navy Flakes available and in my opinion, Mac Baren Navy Flake is the best by far. Room note is pleasant, and if properly packed, its a long and enjoyable smoke right to the end. Rum taste is light but noticeable throughout the smoke and if dried a bit, there is little or no bite.

I find most Mac Baren tobaccos to be hot in every definition of the word. I love Scottish Mixture, for example, but can't smoke it, even in the flake form. I've often thought Mac Baren, many years ago, discovered a million pound batch of New Mexico Hatch chilis and began adding a bit to their blends. Having said that, however, heat hasn't been the case with Navy Flake and I highly recommend it.

mr.335 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mr.335 (20)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

for a latakia lover like me.this tobacco impressed me so much. you open the tin you see the beauty!flakes nicely presented, i loaded it and smoked it straight a way and i was a happy man!

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Love the tin, nice design, small, compact. Sparkley foil wrap and lovely tin aroma, sweet as can be. This is the third totaly different blend that I've found under "Navy Flake" and as far as I can tell this one doesn't even have rum in it. I think that the Cavendishes must provide most of the sweetness and aroma here.

The flavour and smoke is nice and spicy, bouyant and lively. A bit of a pick-me-up is this if you ask me. I've found that it can bite and burn hot but if smoked gently it's lovely. Burns very easily so that isn't a problem and the flakes are perfect for packing by just folding and stuffing.

It's nice, I like it.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A solid unsophisticated flake-tobacco by MacBaren. Buy a tin, grab a flake, fold and twist, load the pipe and smoke away. better sip away. It can taste like burnt rubber if smoked too hot. Tobacco has typical sweet honey & raisins smell. Quite a sweet smoke. I give it 3,5 Stars!!!

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

NF appears out of the tin to be deceptively "dry," so I air it out for a day or two after opening a new tin. (Some even prefer to smoke it very dry.) The flakes tend to come apart, so to prep them for the fill I just rub them out a bit. This tobacco also benefits from several forms of DGT: filling in the bowl the night prior to smoking it, or smoking just a little bit of it and then DGT'ing overnight. The very beginning of the bowl may be a bit underwhelming, but then it really takes off for me as a low-key, nuanced and flavorful smoke - not a nic powerhouse. And that is precisely what I like. This is basically Mixture Scottish with a slightly stronger hint of the trademark honeyed flavor floating above the excellent Virginia and Burley tobaccos.

Traderbob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Traderbob (24)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

As a long-time MB Burley London Blend smoker I was a little apprehensive about trying Navy Flake. The guys at Pipe Smokers Forum have really opened my eyes. Our bi-monthly testing/tasting/review of two tobaccos has been a good motivation for me to try different tobaccos. As I opened the tin I was greeted with an aroma of raisins and light honey, with a slight smell of rum. Great aroma even though it took me a few minutes to identify.

The moisture content of the slices was just right for me. The flakes felt solid with just the right amount of moisture. I checked out the Mac Baren website and read the notes on loading this tobacco (just in case they had some tips). I went with their recommendation for folding length-wise and then folding again. I loaded this into a Peterson's Kapet with standard bit. I accidently packed the first bowl too tightly and was immediately hit with tongue bite. About ½ way through the bowl I was about to give up and then realized what was happening. I used my trusty pipe tool spike and loosened without putting out my bowl – what an immediate difference! The rest of the bowl was excellent. The taste and smell was difficult to describe – good but I could not put my finger on how to describe it. I decided that this is a good trait. Most likely the best way to describe a pipe tobacco to another smoker is to say: “here, try a bowl”! Even though I could not describe the taste, I knew I liked this tobacco by the bottom of the first bowl. After the second bowl I am convinced. Hard to say much about the room note as I smoke in my workshop and there is generally no one there to ask. MB has this tobacco listed as a 3 on their strength scale, but it does not seem as strong as Burley London Blend to me. Both smoke and taste are even throughout the bowl, and leaves only an even, light ash. The scent from this tobacco did not permeate my clothes as strongly as the Burley does. The slight sweet taste and smell is a welcome addition to the burley taste/smell.

I smoked both bowls about 1/4 of the way down and then lightly tamped and re-lit. I was able to smoke the rest of the bowl without a re-light. I enjoyed this smoke and intend to keep this in my regular rotation. I recommend this tobacco highly. I would not smoke this one as a morning smoke with coffee and would not smoke it all day, but do like it for a change from my standard.

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)

Bit dissaponted I'm afraid with this one..

Popped the tin to find a very nice gold wrapping that contained VERY bright coloured and quite dry flakes. Smell from the tin immeadiately reminded me of Gold Block...

If I'm honest I found it smoked and tasted like MB's Vanilla Cream, apart from you had a honey aroma instead of a vanilla one..

I think people who don't smoke Gold Block anymore (in case someone finds out that they do!) smoke this as a 'screen' to hide their shame of liking GB!! Which wasn't really that bad anyway..

Wasn't overly unpleasant.. Just typically Macbaren.

=UPDATE 02/04/10=

Was overly harsh with this blend. After several bowls and time to get to know it, this is a really nice blend.

I don't detect any rum at all, but I do get a smooth 'wheaty' honey aroma tobacco that burns well, and is also well presented in gold wrapped paper and a neat tin.

Apologies McBaren, upgraded to 3 stars..

ask4free Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ask4free (7)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

After watching and listening to reviews on Mac Baren's Navy Flake had to try it for myself. Just smoked my first bowl, and it was just fantastic! I LOVED IT! No bite, flavorful, perfect sweetness. Great experience. Can't wait to smoke another bowl. This will definitely be in my rotation!

Slow Draw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Draw (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

These flakes are beautiful. A delight to look at. Perfectly cut and stacked in the compact tin. And a good looking tin it is!

I prefer my flakes folded and stuffed, which assures a slower burn. Navy Flake is perfectly dry right from the tin and lights easily. Once lit, it continues to burn with minimal effort. I cant get this tobacco to bite even when I try. Take a nose whiff from the bowl and be amazed at the aroma - like baking cookies!

The flavor is nutty and quite sweet and little bit like figs. However you never forget that this is high quality leaf. There is a light rum taste, which I normally don't like in blends, but here it is tamed and interesting. The flavors are pretty consistent all the way through the bowl but get more "toasty" as you near the end. Wonderfully smooth and rich. Navy Flake is one of those tobaccos that I can always count on to give me a great smoke.

PM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PM (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

The first smoke was so beautiful. After my idea has changed. There is anything in taste dry, fast burning something. Looks like Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake. Easy VF lovers should try.

Roddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roddy (41)

I remembered the first time I smoked this blend. Like normal I was quite eager to get at it and smoked it too quickly. It bit me of course. I slowed down on the next bowl and everything was fine. However I noticed something missing while puffing slowly. When smoked hot it had more flavor. It's the way I like to smoke it now. I keep ice tea handy for the bite.

Ismokeadapipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ismokeadapipe (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this mixture for the first time today. I passed the time by watching a relaxing drama on the tele. I actually forgot about the tobacco due to it really doing its job, relaxing me. At the end of the bowl it gave me a bit of a nicotine hit. Very good baccy. I would buy a tin if I saw it.

juanocp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanocp (11)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Mild tobacco is the way to describe the flake. I supposed it´s the burley in action. It burns to a white ash, the honey smell from the tin is present but it's pretty deep, burns cool and it´s pretty much enjoyable. I guess the perfect way to describe these one is those kind of tobacco that´s good to pass the time. I dont think i will return to it, the prince does the job in the burley department for me.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The masterful blending of rich lemon Virginias with high quality burley and the subtle flavoring provided by Cavendish has turned MB Navy Flake into my favorite "regular" mixture. I'm absolutely surprised about the total lack of tongue bite, since even the high quality Mac Baren tobaccos (i.e. Dark Twist Roll Cake) bite my tongue like no other baccy ever did. Add to that the woodsy taste and the subtle tang and sweetness from excellent virginias, and you've got a smoke to enjoy any time of the day.

The flakes are also beautiful. Thin and with the perfect moisture level, it's the easiest to light and keep lit flake tobacco I've tried. In fact, thanks to its combustibility, Navy Flake is not much of a Navy Flake at all. I've smoked this mixture at sea and unless you put a cap to your pipe, you better get a big bowled pipe or you'll be smoking at deck for twenty minutes. Your pipe won't suffer thou, because no matter how fast it burns, it does it really cool.

I can no longer say all Mac Baren's bite beyond any pleasure they can provide. Navy Flake has entered my permanent rotation of tobaccos and it's there to stay.

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)

I bought this as a comparison test to their Mixture Flake.

This blend has the signature tin aroma of fruitiness like raisins or plums (and a hint of chocolate).

I prefer to smoke flakes like this fully-rubbed out, and that's how I've been smoking these. The flakes are firm and semi-brittle, and rub out nicely. They pack well this way, with easy lighting and an even burn throughout the bowl.

The flavors are mild and slightly sweet, but lack the honey and biscuit flavors found in Mixture Flake. It's still a nice, mild smoke that delivers a decent amount of nicotine without bringing weakness to the knees.

I certainly will finish this tin, although I'm undecided about restocking it, and I'm more inclined to favor Mixture Flake over it. Nevertheless, it's a good, high-quality 'baccy from McB, and I recommend it.

MontanaPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MontanaPuffer (2)

I am a new puffer,and this was my first flake.I like it.I hear people talk about MacBaren bite,but I got no bite from this tobacco,I smoked it in a cob,and it was nice and mild.

Beautiful looking flake. Mine turned into a crumble cake at the slightest provocation so I simply rubbed it out and smoked it. The honey and rum tin aroma was overpowering and I wasn't expecting much from this one, particularly in light of my lack of success with many of the Mac Baren blends. But this one delivered. Compared to my Mac Baren reference (favorite blend) Symphony, this one was nowhere near as complex and nowhere near as naturally flavorful. But it was a very decent smoke, with the casing burning off almost at the match. It's something that could be smoked all day. But as mentioned, this one along with most Mac Baren blends will bite if you're not extremely careful. I liked this one; I doubt I'll buy more but it's definitely worth a try.

Little nuances in blends and smoking techniques that bring about varying results always interest me. I don't own any Peterson system pipes but perhaps I should! I liked this tobacco best when the smoke was directed at the roof of my mouth. I happened on this when the pipe I was smoking got too heavy for my jaw and I let it relax a bit. I tried the same thing with other tobaccos but so far none of them have shown as much variation in flavor with that than this one. Very interesting!

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (29)

I've purchased a tin of this while I was on "pipe rest" for 4 years. About an year before I started smoking again.
I started with it, and first few bowls were disgusting. I wondered if that's because the tobacco is poor, or I just haven't really gotten into it as I should. Well, it was both. I wasn't accustomed to pipe smoking, after ten bowls was better, but the tobacco is bad. I smoked original choice after that, and few other aromatics, they were better than this. As good as aromatics can be actually.
If you like navy (rum) blends, you may like it. Doesn't bite much, and the artificial aroma is not overwhelming, you can even feel some of the tobacco here and there, but still the artificial chemical flavor stays there. That's one thing that bothers me much about the danish style aromatics. I'd rather smoke cheap american aros that make the tobacco smell like something totally different, than the danish style flavored tobaccos which casing and topping is supposed to enhance the natural flavors of cavendish and VA. In my oppinion, it just adds some artificial flavor, and that's it.
It's neither pure tobacco, nor heavily perfumed which in some cases can be a good thing (Condor for example). It's just some junk, there's tobacco, but ruined, and there's perfume, but only the one that goes along with cavendish.
I don't know, maybe It's just my taste, but if you are predominantly into English/Balkan and VA, VA/Pers, then you won't like it. Maybe you won't hate it as much as I did, but certainly won't enjoy it. One star from me.

Pipe Used: briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Moscow

well tampered clavier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
well tampered clavier (9)

I wanted to give this only the 1 star but maybe thats unfair after 2 smokes. i've been on a navy spree recently and there are some real goodies out there, some in fact i wish to reserve my judgement for a month or 2. hmm but this one has really put me off Mac Baren for a bit. It has some shining reviews but i have to agree with those who called this bland. it was like a boring press of virginia and burly, grassy and a little nutty. Now I'm not a great fan of aromatics but appreciate a good blend regardless. This navy flake however has that typical casing where a secret micro-chip air-freshener has been implanted in the tin. open it up, umm wow smells like great tobacco. now i bet you there is indeed some fine tobaccos in here but they are poorly preped and blended, and you end up with a boring smoke . I'm starting to see Mac B as some generic italian restaurant franchise. Slick marketing and good presentation, fine ingredience but an average joe chef chucking it all in a pot. what a shame. Perfect little flakes in a cute little tin but bread and water smoke i'm afraid.

maybe good to blend your own with. A dash of perique would be nice to flavour up the VAs or even a little more cavendish would bring out the nuttiness of the wasted burly, as i've already said good tobaccos badly put together. will smoke some more and revise if necessary.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The last MacBaren I smoked was Dark Twist on Captiva Island. I remember liking it very much. This reminds me of that feeling, except it burns longer with the flake cut. Packed it just as recommended on the Mac website, perfect burn with only one or two matches. Great taste after it gets going. I found no bite at all. Great price, taste, burn, aroma, packaging, what's not to like?

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)

This is a good middle-of-the-road that should be appreciate by both burley fiends and light aromatic smokers. The packaging and cut are classic, and this tobacco has superb burning qualities. The flavoring is applied in just the right amount and it seems to do well in just about any size pipe. It's also one of the few burley-heavy blends that I think smokes better in a briar than in a cob (there are lots of burlies that do well in either, but IMO most of them don't really "sing" until you smoke them in a cob). This isn't one of my favorites, but lots of people swear by it. My one real complaint is that it bites more than a burley-based tobacco should. Recommended.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I am relatively new to pipe smoking, and this was the tobacco that got me into this pipe-smoking business, in combination with some Laphroaig ? it goes very well with whisky. Also with coffee in the morning. This tobacco smells marvelous in the tin, and its room note has won many favorable comments. The first light is rich and flavorful. There is a mild topping that contributes favorably to the tin smell, first light, and room note, but that flavor seems to saturate the senses and becomes imperceptible to the smoker after about the first third of the bowl. The tobacco doesn?t build flavor in quite the same way as a Virginia flake, but it is consistently good all the way through the bowl. I like the nutty contribution of burley in this flake. It goes well in a variety of bowl shapes and smokes well rubbed out, cut with scissors, or simply folded and stuffed into a tall narrow bowl.

Colin H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colin H (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first flake tobacco I've tried. The aroma coming from the bag is nice and prompted me to buy it. I smoked it in multiple pipes to see if I might like it more, but found myself disappointed every time. The flavor is mild to the point where it's difficult to taste anything. I also noticed that this particular tobacco left my mouth feeling coated with something, reminiscent of a cheap aromatic tobacco. I assume the casing on Navy Flake is the cause of it. Either way, I would not purchase this again.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE FEB16/2009:

I have "worked" the second half of the second tin (a third is aging in my cellar) laying for months. The flakes were very dry... but absolutely no bite and no bitter back-flavour. I do reconfirm: the best of McB's. Will stack other tins.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

For sure the best McBaren. I have tried several of their 100grms-tinned products available on the italian market, and this is the only one really deserving three full stars (cannot give four, that's for the excellence...). A perfect all-day smoke because it has very good quality tobacco flavour, just a bit sweet. Unlike other McB's it doesn't scorch your tongue, nor fatigues the palate. The cut and the humidity are perfect and make easy to fill your pipe just folding the flake. This way it will no way leave the pipe wet. I have not tried it rubbed out, nor I'll do since it stays so well lit and refreshing! Just finishing this tin through a small prince by Castello, I'm going to catch the couple of tins remaining at my nearest tobacconist, since it's not so easy to find. I would also give a new try to Dark Twist (I did the latest a year ago), maybe the only other McB to compete with NF. Forget Latakia Blend & Solent Mixture, and so many doubts to Plumcake, which is so different and weak in respect of the old version in 50grms pouch I smoked in the late 70's: that was an aromatic, what is this new one ???

MagnusMaximus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MagnusMaximus (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is good stuff.

I have a difficult time finding decent tinned tobaccos at any B&M that can be called "local." When I was passing through St. Louis, I stopped at a tobacconist, and they had some of this, so I eagerly snapped it up. Cracked open the tin: the aroma is very nice, very much "classic sweet tobacco smell." It's not an aromatic, and smells very natural, which is a plus, in my book.

The first time I tried it, the evening I opened it, I was not impressed. Horrid. Bit like a chihuahua with a grievance, and wouldn't stay lit worth a darn. I said "ah, back to the cellar for this stuff" and didn't touch it again for a few weeks. I tried it once more, and it was marginally better, but still nothing to write home about.

Fast forward a couple of months: I guess it had time to dry out some (though it doesn't feel dry, by any means, and in fact, I have to use the cleaner several times per smoke, but....) the taste was entirely different, and very, very nice. It's got a lovely, rich flavor, naturally sweet and nutty. The flavor (and aftertaste too) reminds me a lot of a freshly-cut lawn, with overtones of "hay barn." Thoroughly pleasant and enjoyable. And it doesn't bite very much, provided you don't go overboard.

I think the key to smoking this is to open the tin and then let it sit for a time ---I know this goes against the "received wisdom," and maybe a more experienced pipesmoker could make this stuff sing right out of the tin, but for me, patience has its reward.

Room note is unobjectionable, I doubt you'll have too many complaints. I've been smoking this in a Nording Churchwarden, and I'd suggest using a billiard or similar instead: the tobacco generates a lot of moisture, (which tells you Mac Baren has put some kind of hydrating agent in the casing) and this will need to be managed.

Bottom line: it's kind of fussy, but if you bear with it, you can get a superb smoke. Not recommended as a first foray into flakes.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've never been big on Mac Baren's offerings. To me, I found pretty much everything they make to bite like a rabid dog. This particular Mac Baren product appears to be the exception. I purchased it on a recommendation posted by another user.

The flakes come in a 100 gm tin, which cost $12.50 USD at the local B&M. They are light brown in color and come in tightly packed slices. I choose to fold my flake tobaccos as I feel that is how they are intended to be smoked.

I chose to use about a group 4 size Wilke billiard. That was a wise choice as this pipe smokes well with anything. The tobacco burned well and with no bite, which I found surprising. I very nice, mildly sweet tobacco flavor and aroma. It never caused a gurgle. This product has easily found it's way to me top 5 tobacco list.

It increases in strength somewhat at mid bowl, but never overpowering. An overall good smoke that one could puff on all day.

Highly recommended.

onepuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
onepuff (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I tried this as my first Mac Baren tobacco and am very pleased with my choice. Packed as a whole flake, this tobacco has none of the bite I have read about being associated with Mac Baren's wares. It is a very pleasing all-day smoke and ideal if you don't want a strong aromatic scent. It offers just quality tobacco with a reasonable nicotine level and a room odour which doesn't linger. Packed in a handy tin in moderately dry flakes of good size an uniformity ready to smoke.

Very enjoyable and retains interest to the bottom of the bowl. I think this will now be my mainstay smoke (along with Planta Black Vanilla for a heavier, more aromatic experience).

ex20adayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ex20adayman (30)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I originally tried this tobacco about six months ago but neglected to review it at the time. It was a good experience so I recently bought another tin.

Flakes neatly cut and stacked in the tin. Moist to the touch. A rich fig aroma coming from the tin. Good presentation. Flakes cut larger in the 100g tin than they are in the 50g one I bought previously.

Being a Mac Baren flake, I again use the packing method described on their website (as opposed to my current regular flake, Ogden's Walnut, which I rub out). This results in tight packing and a slow burn. So slow that it takes two sittings to finish a regular sized bowl!

A rich, nicotine heavy smoke. Recommended for after dinner. Certainly not an all day light smoke. Can burn hot if pushed but you wouldn't want to with this tobacco - it's too rich and strong IMO.

The fact that the flake is moist, and by folding and stuffing the flake tightly, it does tend to gunk up the pipe walls a bit - necessitating a thorough clean afterwards. Maybe a good tobacco for breaking in non aromatic pipes...

A quality tobacco no doubt, but a bit too strong and rich for my tastes (similar to my personal experience with Rattray's Old Gowrie). Give it a try.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)

This flake seems quite similar to Mixture Flake, which I also really enjoy. I echo the positive comments of my predecessor raters.

But, although named "Navy Flake", I do not detect a whole lot of rum. Maybe just a little, with the MacBaren honey as well. The aromatic essence of this blend tails off at about the two-thirds mark, whereupon the natural burley and virginia ease in to the forefront.

Not overly aromatic, not too sweet, and not a bite in the bowl. Not for fans of English/Balkan blends unless you are looking for a sweet change-of-pace...if you are, then this is one to consider. If you are looking to "step up" to a more sophisticated aromatic that isn't just goopy candy, then this is one you can confidently select.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

What can I say to the already numerous reviews? Good stuff - mild, slightly sweet (in a natural way - this not a sugar-coated aromatic and it tastes like real tobacco), and leaves the room smelling fantastic. As others have said, for best results use the Mac Baren recommended pipe filling technique detailed on their website for this flake rather than rubbing it out. The only complaint is that it can bite if smoked too quickly so take your time with this one (DGT works well with Navy Flake).

Light Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Light (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

You can go two ways to enjoy this tobacco, either rubbed out or smoked as a flake should be smoked. I tried both and do not recommend rubbing it out, it changes the taste dramatically and not for the better.

Mac-Baren?s take on how to fill your pipe with flake:

The tin looks nice and on opening it, a nice fruity smell awaits you. The tobacco is nicely stacked in big thin flakes. The humidity level is good but drying it in the tin for a couple of days makes it smoke even better. I packed my pipe with the above technique topping it off nicely with a bit of rubbed out tobacco to ease the lightning process. Very few relights are needed.

The first bit of the bowl tastes very sweet, honey like with hints of fruit and gradually the fruitiness seems to disappear throughout the smoke bringing out some nutty tones. Not a complex smoke but enough to keep you interested. Overall to the end a very nice sweet and nutty aroma but different than any other burley I have tried.

I felt not tongue bite whatsoever, light on the nicotine and the room note is very pleasant. In short I feel this is a good afternoon smoke that?s worth every penny. It?ll be on my regular rotation.

DrY11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrY11 (39)

An Excellent experience!

I keep reaching for this all the time.

Interesting Observation: I visiting Russia, staying in a biggish hotel room and I smoke with closed windows late at night. I do not ventilate all that much. The room has developped a noticeable but easily acceptable and quite pleasant note.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an excellent tobacco and i believe highly underated. Use a medim sized bowl just big enough to fold the flakes into using the mac baren method. It lights well has a complex flavour. Highly recommended for an all day smoke. This will not bite if you follow instructions (1 flake folded) and should yield a very satisfying smoke that will grow on you.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

I just had to post a review on this one. Great, great tobacco, it has begun a personal quest to find equally great flakes. Plums, a little rum and a great natural sweet tobacco taste. I smoke outdoors mostly so it is good on the burning side. My lack off experience can not give me the true words to describe how fantastic this tobbacco is.

I tried peterson's university flake, hoping it would be as good, also great but it is more expensive than Navy F and doesn't have the same level of fruitiness as Navy. This too me is the perfect balance between a real tobacco experience, with the sensual joy of a sweet mild aromatic included. I now know why men went to sea in wooden crates. My main down point would be it's a bit dry and dusty sometimes.

TIP: Do check the Mac Barens website to see the history of and technique for smoking such flakes.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I have been smoking some indifferent aromatic blends recently (kindly gifts from non-smokers). What a relief to open a tin of Navy Flake!

The tin is fifteen years old, and the flakes have darkened substantially, with only a few gold highlights. The aroma from the tin is muted and the flavouring reticent. In the pipe it is immensely satisfying: reasonable levels of nicotine, a steady burn rate ideal for handling my paper work, lovely tobacco taste, and a room note that makes visitors linger.

Mac Baren do not always get full credit for the quality of their products. Perhaps they have tried to cover too much ground with a limited palette. Navy Flake and Mixture Scottish Blend are gems of their kind and unreservedly recommended for a serious trial.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Quite possibly the best burley blend on the planet! I consider this blend to be amoung the most refined and excellent in it's respective class. A flake consisting of lightly cased burly as a base, with that characteristic mild honey tinned aroma, with a touch of virgina and that one of a kind dark-fired cavendish that is characteristicly Mac Baren. Smokes dry with a mildly sweet and aromatic aroma and with a lightly sweet and nutty taste. The blending and production of this product is to say perfect and superlative. Recommended! Recommended! Recommended!

P.S.- In the movie "The Marathon Man" with Dustin Hoffman and Sir Lawrence Olivier towards the end when Doctor Zell's suitecase opens one can briefly glimpse a tin of Mac Baren Navy flake among others.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)

If I didn?t have such a wanton and promiscuous palate I could almost smoke this exclusively. I?ll admit to being a sucker for Virginians and light burley blends. I judge English blends by the Virginian taste to them, the beating heart of the oriental/latakia English blends. I could laud the virtues of this flake, the presentations, the ability to buy it in bulk locally at a reasonable price, the rubbability and foldability, the adequate nicotine hit.

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)

This used to be my regular tobacco, replacimg Dunhill Light Flake in my affections. Incidently, I tried some of the latter recently and it bore no relation to its former self, being no longer manufactured by Murray's.

Recently, I have been smoking my way round some of the Gawith and Hogarth offerings, which are excellent, but thought it appropiate to check up on an old friend, all in an attempt to discover the perfect medium flake.

It is nicely presented, in a proper tin, but I now think it is sliced too thinly. I can't imagine that anyone would want to rub it out. I just separate the flake a little.

It smokes rather hotter than some flakes, but never burns the tongue. I still think it is pretty well perfect for every day smoking. However, Glengarry and Bright CR flakes, probably edge it fractionally.

It is unfortunate that none of the McClelland's offerings are available in the UK, as I am sure many are excellent.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (18)
Medium Mild Mild Very Pleasant

The first and - so far - only MacBaren tobacco I have smoked. This was pleasantly mild in flavour with a satisfying strength which is instantly detectable. The thick flakes fold well into a firm plug which burns well. The smoke itself is smooth & the room note is mild indeed. I would recommenend this pleasant smoke to any pipe-smoker, from novice to expert. The honey notes are absolutley heavenly & the leathery nuttiness underpinns it nicely. I smoked it in a large Churchwarden & found it no have no real negative qualities apart from the occasional bowl which finished & left me with a kind of 'is that it?' feeling, but this can easily be remedied by another pipefull! This feeling was possibly enhanced by the lack of any room note with real body. I will definitely keep some of this around & am looking forward to smoking some of this with a cold beer in the height of summer. I think at that time, this may well come into a class of it's own. Watch this space to find out if my prediction is corect...

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

There are times when nothing but MB Navy Flake will satisfy my tastes and craving for a pleasant smoke. I admire Mac Baren's presentation and marketing, and I always keep a tin of Navy Flake around.

The components are burley and Virginia, and supposedly a cavendish. The topping is restrained and smells honey-like in the tin. During the smoke everything comes together and nothing seems too much or too little. In fact, it's difficult to taste any one component, just a synergy of excellent tobaccos. This is a credit to the blender and the process used to create Navy Flake. I'm generally not a huge fan of the Danish style of tobacco processing, so this is high praise indeed.

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first flake tobacco, I found the taste really close to the scotish blend mixture that I like too. DON'T LET THIS TOBACCO DRY!

Rafe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rafe (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Hello from Music City USA everyone, and welcome to my first review here.

About 8 months into being a pipe smoker, I found myself getting weary of the usual shop-labeled Lane aromatics that well intentioned people guided me to as a newbie. Tobaccos that seemed rich and satisfying to me when I started out now seemed rather tasteless and bland. I knew what I liked (burley, Virginia, cavendish) and what I didn't (latakia, perique, Orientals). So, with the help of the Internet and a great many friends, I undertook to find some tobaccos of higher complexity and quality that would build upon the preferences and aversions I had developed. I discovered MacBaren tobaccos offered a plethora of tinned burley/VA/cavendish combinations and started sampling and comparing. While none of them sucked, Navy Flake definitely rose to the occasion in my search for a new daily standard.

For starters, and of major importance, Navy Flake is widely popular and readily available in most any worthy B&M or online retailer. The tobacco's presentation is very elegant and pleasing; nice, colorful flakes tinned face-up in a little gold foil envelope in an understated tin. The tin aroma is moderately sweet, but still 100% tobacco-ey, and my schnozz was unable to detect a casing of any kind. The flakes rub out into long, stringy threads that often result in the need to stuff the tobacco into your bowl, and THIS is where a handy trick comes in: to avoid the MacBaren curse of hot-burning tongue-biters, I first of all rip the flakes in half, width-wise, and give them a spin in a one-speed food processor, which results in easier loading, packing and better distribution of the different tobaccos. Then, I pack the bowl looser than normal to avoid too many relights and/or too much puffing to keep lit. It lights up nicely on the first or second try, but be warned: THIS TOBACCO WILL BLISTER YOU if you do not take your time with it.

If I had to guess, I'd say Navy Flake is about 50% burley, 25% each VA and cavendish. This means that the very fine but typically unsophisticated, straight-ahead burley flavor is augmented by the 'oomph' of the added VA and complimented by the sweetness of the cavendish. This is perfect for me, as I simply love straight burleys, but not so much straight VAs or straight cavendish. This is 'burley with benefits' so to speak.....enough VA and cavendish for both to make a statement, but the burley definitely takes the lead here. Flavorful but not overpowering, it remains consistent from the top of the bowl to the bottom and leaves a dry, white-gray ash and little if any dottle. No goop left in the bowl, and no danger of leaving anything unpleasant in a pipe you may want to smoke something else in.

I smoke at least two 100g tins of this a month --- it is definitely my all day, everyday go-to tobacco, one that I've learned well enough that I use it to try out any new pipe acquisitions, and it's the tobacco that I reach for most often, when I'm in the mood for a relaxing, comfortable smoke with no surprises, just pure pleasure and contentment. Highly recommended!!!!

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (61)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A cool, mild, dry, comfortable smoke with a (mostly) smooth burley taste and an understated honey sweetner. One of my favorite of the MacBaren clan. I've so far avoided the much discussed "curse" of tongue bite and after some experimentation I would make two recommendations that others have noted as well. One: break it up as little as possible, I smoke this by folding one flake over on itself and packing it into the pipe, then adding a little broken flake to get things started. The only time I've had problems with this blend was smoking a fully rubbed out bowl: tasted great but left me with a tingling tongue. Two: smoke this as slow as is possible. The flavors seem to come out richer and more fully and it's a more tolerable smoke. Highly recommended.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (96)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I like MacBarens. This is what I like to call a pseudo-aromatic, one of their sweeter blends. I have a hard time nailing down just what burley tases like (distinct from Va or cav) that is defining, but I do like all MB burleys, their specialty. A less sugary version of this is Burley London Blend, their finest, I think.

The tidy tin, efficiently and precisely filled and the embossed gold foil wrapper makes for my favorite of all packaging. Normally I overlook this kind of thing, but it's hard and unfair not to appreciate it.

I love the aroma: maybe burleys are what a beloved person from my childhood smoked. This is my benchmark of what a pipe should smell like. I probably inhale far too much of it, deeply sniffing as it drifts out of my mouth.

I like mild tobaccos. Nicotine tends to numb my tongue, leaving only harsh flavors and ammoniacal (pee) aftertastes. No problem here, despite a 3 out of 4 rating on the tin, and despite my nasal recycling. Bite is a function of technique for me; I like to smoke very slowly when I got a good one. MBs respond well to this. The moisture level of the tin allows me to do that without drying, a big plus.

A virginia blend analogous to this is Old Belt Ready Rubbed, another favorite of mine for many of the same reasons.

My only complaint with NF is a mild perique-type mouth reaction I get, otherwise it would be my standard sweet smoke. Oh, the hell with it... I'm refilling anyway.

Elric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elric (34)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I've been reading positive comments in the newsgroup on this tobacco and had it recommended several times as well. I finally picked up a tin at a local shop and am extraordinarily glad I did not delay longer.

Upon opening the tin, you are greeted with a wonderful aroma which is a bit sweeter than the tobacco itself. The flakes themselves are large and I usually only smoke 1/2 of one during a typical lunchbreak. They rub out easily enough for those so inclined.

Navy Flake packs and lights very easily once rubbed out. The initial taste is pure tobacco bliss. The burley is top shelf and co-mingles well with the Virginia's. If there is a topping here, it isn't noticeable in the taste. It does, however, seem to make an appearance in the very pleasurable room note.

The tobacco smokes cool throughout the bowl with no evidence of tongue bite; an effect for which Mac Baren has acquired some notoriety. There was also no hint of bitterness common to some Burley blends, even toward the bottom of the bowl.

Navy Flake is now firmly ensconced in my smoking rotation. The fact that it established itself there quicker than any other tobacco is a testament to it's skillful blending. Kudos to Mac Baren!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Although I generally shy away from Burley, I like this stuff and smoke it sometimes in the summer. My wife actually likes the smell of this tobacco, so if I'm going to be smoking in the same room with her, I often choose this blend. I also like the flake cut and the cool, even burn. It has a clean, slightly sweet taste, produces lots of smoke, and smokes down to a fine grey ash. As a "social" tobacco, it's one of my standbys. This is not a terribly complicated tobacco, but it's reliably good, it tastes like tobacco, it doesn't bite, and folks like the aroma.

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)

Add one more voice to the chorus singing the praises of Navy Flake. From the moment you receive this, ur in for a treat...

First of all it comes in a great little tin, perfect for travelling light with a good supply of tobacco. Pop it open, and ur greeted with a pleasant sweet tobacco smell and the glimmer of gold-leaf wrap. Lift the paper to discover beautifully veined, perfectly cut slices of tobacco. So far, this is a true treat for the eyes and nose!

Gingerly remove a slice and rub to your favourite consistency. Dance the flame over, and smell a wonderful burley tobacco. Those first few draws will reveal a little perique-like tickle in the throat along with a very typical MacBaren's sweetness (subtle, but present). I found it took a charring light well. Lightly knock down the char and re-light...you are off!

By the half-way mark, I found the tickle in the throat mellowed slightly. This stayed well-behaved all the way through. Marvellous body, great smell, burned evenly...I'm luvin this!

By the end, I'm sold. There is a cigar-like quality to this tobacco (don't let my reference to "sweetness" make u think this is an aromatic. It's sweet like the old Jamaican cigars...)

This is a winner visually, for the nose, and taste-wise. I will be ordering more soon...

Old Man Bob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Man Bob (6)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My new favorite, I like this even better than Edgeworth slices. Just enough casing to bring out the natural sweetness and marry the tobaccos in a subtle but rich blend; even the sidestream smoke has a great tobacco aroma. If your granddad smoked a pipe and you remember the smell of it fondly, chances are it was much like this - I can easily imagine a quiet evening after supper in a Adirondack cabin, good company, a splash of sourmash in a short glass, and a pipeful of MacBaren's Navy Flake.

canopener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canopener (5)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend is one of few aromatics out there which marries the casing beautifully with the tobacco's natural flavor. Has hints of honey, but has the finish of a fine cigar. The flavor remains consistent through the duration of the smoke. Navy Flake tends to smoke hot without provocation, but does not deter from flavor or aroma. Relights are heavy at first, but gradually drifts back to the rich, sweet tobacco flavor. My overall rating 5 out of 4 stars (the extra star is for the neat little tin it comes in).

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)
Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first time smoking a blend that's mostly Burley. These come in colorful, veined slices with a nice sweet-tobacco aroma. I folded the wafer a few times and stuck it in my fairly new Nording freehand. It lit very easily and burned to a dry white ash. The flavors were slightly sweet with a spiciness that seemed to tickle the back of my throat. While smoking, the body and richness of the tobacco seemed to be toward the fuller end of the spectrum, but there was not much of a nicotine kick ... so I gave it a medium rating overall. I gave a high rating to the room aroma based on my wife's remark of "That one smells good" ... which is high praise from her. Toward the last half of the bowl, I had to relight once and run a pipe cleaner through to correct a slight gurgle. Aside from that, this was an enjoyable smoke.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a really nice burley blend, consisting of burley, some virginia, and some cavendish. There is a bit of a honey sweetener with maybe a little peach, but it's not enough of a presence for me classify this one as an aromatic -- my rating of the flavoring as "mild" is more a reflection of the honey being used as a sweetener than the peach flavoring. It is noticeably sweeter than, say, Butera Kingfisher (another very nice burley blend).

The tobacco as delivered is a bit too damp, and so is more prone to tongue bite than one would expect from a burley flake. I tend to dry out the tins a day or so before smoking.

This is a true flake, as distinguished from the flake-like krumble kake cut used by Butera Kingfisher (one of my other favorite burley blends). Because of this, it tends to prefer smaller-bowled pipes like virginia flakes do. I smoke it in a little Barbi bamboo-shanked prince that holds exactly one flake. I fold the flake in half, then in half again, and just shove it in. The crumbled ends of the flake light easily, and it burns all the way to the bottom without a problem.

The flavor isn't too complex, but nonetheless possesses loads of burley's bright, cheerful woodsey-nutty flavor, which the honey complements beautifully. The peach isn't really noticeable in the taste unless you concentrate, but does become more pronounced in the room aroma, which is consequently quite nice.

All around a very nicely done blend.