Whole leaves are used as wrapper for the rope and the inlay is divided into two groups. The first group contains 100% pure Virginia tobaccos, meaning that the whole leaves are used as wrapper leaves and the leaves with small imperfections are used as the inlay.

The second group contains whole Virginia leaves as wrapper and Dark Fired Kentucky as inlay, meaning you see the dark tobacco in the centre and the brighter Virginias around it.

After the tobaccos have been spun into ropes it is stored for weeks and then cut into small coins. The blend of Dark Twist is broken down as follows. For every 2 coins of Virginia tobacco there is 1 coin with a centre of Dark Fired Kentucky.

Like most of our spun tobaccos, water and maple sugar are boiled and added to the tobacco. This is all we add, so the taste is very natural with the interplay between the natural sweet Virginias and light sour and smoky flavour from the Dark Fired Kentucky perfectly blended to create a natural tobacco taste.

Notes: Introduced in 1955.

BrandMac Baren

2.9
Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Other reviewers have said it all, in fifty and more articles.

I have just concluded a 100grms tin of DT, smoking it as my everyday tobacco - like I do with other Va or VaB or VaPer flakes (read McB's Navy Flake, or Marlin Flake or Capstan, just to name few). It simply works fine for that.

DT is a mild to medium smoke, just a tad sweet and spicy (yes, I do think there's some Perique hidden in the famous "Modern Cavendish"), not so complex and very user friendly because of the shape of the discs, which I used to smoke as it is with no problems.

As for this last pipeful - a Parker medium black sandblasted chimney - no tongue bite at all and this is very noticeable for a McB.

I reconfirm DT just follows Navy Flake in the list of McB's worth to smoke on regular basis, and deserves the same three stars.

This is an aromatic, but a deep, dark and tasty one. No candy taste, but certainly a sweetened up Virginia that will be delightful if you smoke it slowly. As is the case with other MacBaren's, this one can bite, but only a little.

I loved the presentation. The spun discs were fun to rub out and pack. It burned clean and dry to the bottom and left a friendly aftertaste on the palate.

MacBaren's blends are certainly similar, but Dark Twist is about as unique as any blend I have tried from this blender.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Mac Baren Dark Twist is a beautifully made roll cake that delights the eye. On the tongue, it is mild and sweet with just a hint of Virginia snap. Unless I rub it out thoroughly, I find it hard to keep this tobacco lit, but otherwise it is an easy smoker, one that you could easily smoke all morning.

NB: If you do smoke this tobacco all morning, as I have the last few mornings, you may find your tongue rather scorched by lunchtime. No matter how easily and slowly I smoke this stuff, if I smoke more than one bowl, I always wind up regretting it. For that reason, this tobacco, despite its many fine features, will never be more than occasional indulgence for me. I also find Dark Twist's mildness becomes a bit monotonous in repeated doses. All that said, this is my favorite Mac Baren Virginia, and not a bad one, at least one bowl at a time.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Red Virginia twisted with some "specially spiced" black Cav. The whole thing looks very pretty in the 3½ ounce shoe-polish tin. The twist slices are like nickel-sized Three Nuns roundelets, not like half-dollar Escudo. As always with Baren, the presentation is unimpeachable.

Mac Baren is a bit like Jane Austen: their range runs the gamut from A to B, but within it, they are high artists. I personally have no interest in Cavendish-and-Burley milketoast, yet their Virginia use can be interesting. For one thing, it will teach you to smoke slowly! Also, this brand can be useful to know if you get stuck in Fly-over Land: Mac is the only quality baccy you're likely to encounter in mall-type territory.

I can't tell you anything about the "special" spicing: I wish they had used plain, lovely Périque; the Cav does tickle the tender old glotis after a bit, and together with the sweet Virginia works itself up to a fine, darkish climax?well, café-au-lait, anyway: pretty intense for Mac Baren! But for this, you must get the pipe smoldering slowly and steadily; over-puff this baby, and it will SKIN your kisser. (I am thinking in French, you understand.)

So this is probably the best Mac Baren I have ever tried, an interesting morning apéritif for the Classic smoker, and a self-recommending treat for the aromatic fancier.

wtipct Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wtipct (1)
Mild None Detected Mild Overwhelming

I found the this tasted like shoe leather that was dragged though my dog kennel after the dags ate beans. I was shocked be cause of the recommendations. So, I tried some more.... same result... I bought from a different dealer same result.... Not impressed at all.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)

Overall this is a nice coin cut presentation by Mac Baren. It is however a double edge sword. For one, I found it quick to bite, yet on the other hand when smoked low and slow I was able to render quite a bit of flavor and a variety of nuances from it. I laud the presentation, and there’s so many ways you can prepare this. One can simply smoke the Virginia coins for a simple affair, or choose to add quite a bit more of the dark fired pieces for a spicier more complex flavor profile. Either way this particular tobacco smokes really well and has a clean, sturdy, lightly-sweet flavor with a great room note.

Altogether Mac Baren’s recommendation of a 2 to 1 ratio of Virginia to dark fired center coins provides good balance, and I can fit about six of them into most of the pipes that I smoke this in. From the tin the tobacco is in perfect smoking condition and requires no dry time. Simply folding the coins in half and inserting them into the pipe with some bits on top as kindling works great, as does rubbing them out and chopping them up a bit. Once again, take it slow & this stuff is good.

Pipe Used: Various Briars

Age When Smoked: 2

Purchased From: Tobacco Road

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Very Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

To me, Dark Twist is one of the most enjoyable tobaccos in the MacBaren’s catalogue. It looks great in the tin—reddish gold coins with black Cavendish hearts. What’s great about Dark Twist is how easy it is to smoke. There is quite a bit of sweetness in these coins and a gentle, plum-like flavor that doesn’t overwhelm the tobacco. You do have to be careful smoking this. Above a slow smolder, Dark Twist gets hot and the gentle fruitiness pretty much disappears.

I’m often reminded of various other simple tobaccos when I smoke this—especially Marlin Flake from Rattray’s. They strike me as fellow-travelers in this sweet, fruity Virginia category. I do sometimes wish there was more going on in this tobacco—some spice, greater complexity, a little more nicotine—but it is generally satisfying.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A rich, flavorful easy to pack coin cut mixture with a very slight honey and citrus taste complimented by a fig note or two. A third of the coins have dark spicy cavendish and some don't. Depending on how you rub out the coins or stack them, you can get a variety of flavors as you go down the bowl, or from bowl to bowl if you want that to happen. At times, I've stacked the coins so that every other coin has the spicy cavendish in it. Other times, I've rubbed it out and codger filled the bowl. No matter how I've done it, I've enjoyed it. One of the things I like about this is that the cavendish does not impart any essence of vanilla to disrupt the Virginia base. Btw, this is the same kind of light and mostly dark Virginias I've noticed in some other MacBaren blends like Scottish Mixture, though DTRC blend is fuller in taste and less sweeter, and has a different flavor profile. I really recommend smoking this in a pipe with a wide bowl for the full experience of what this unique mixture is all about.

Cobsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobsmoker (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a wonderful smoke. At times spicy and other times sweet. Also detect a "buttery" something from time to time. A good "sipping" smoke. Smoking it just on the edge of going out produces the best flavor for me. Have not experienced bite from it, but at times the spice is very prominent and will tingle the mouth. The roll cake is very easy to pack and doesn't require many relights if packed well. I don't rub it all, just fold a few pieces and settle them gently into the pipe, then rub a small amount for the top to get an even burn. This is my first experience with Mac Baren as I am a relatively new pipe smoker, but I sense the beginning of a long friendship.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This blend was the beginning for me of a progression into a whole new genre of tobacco blends. I started with aromatics, was stuck in those for about a year, then moved to English, spent about a year and a half to two years mostly smoking English and some VA, then I discovered these roll cake blends with Va's and other tobaccos like cavendish and burley rolled in sometimes with perique and whatnot. Needless to say this blend ushered me into a whole new realm of flavors and even a new way of smoking, where I had mostly been a heavy puffer with thick clouds of latakia filled smoke, this blend along with PS Luxury Bullseye Flake taught me to slow it down and sip the pipe like a hot cup of tea. When I did this I began to experience a new and very different way of smoking a pipe. This blend when properly sipped and savored lends to a complex, deep, dark, rich and smooth smoke. The flavors are not easily explained but very intriguing. I recommend this blend to those who have already moved from aromatics to English and are now looking for something complex and maybe not so powerful to enjoy and take their pipe smoking to a whole new level! For me it represents the height of pipe smoking and the relationship of blend to smoker and the exchange between the smoker and the blend, where the smoker must earn the flavor he seeks by giving his pipe attention and carefully coaxing the smoke along without being to hasty or impatient, it is a blend for the relaxed, contemplative smoker with a mind to match the complexity of the blend!

sonick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sonick (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Wow! This really is a superb tobacco. A very high grade tobacco, sliced into coins that are extremely convenient for packing a bowl. As others have said, pack this tobacco loosely. Let it pack itself. Very light compression. Minimal rubbing of the coins. The taste is divine. extremely deep and complex, but it doesn't present itself boldly, you have to sip and contemplate. If you smoke too fast, you'll miss the mark completely. It doesn't make heavy smoke, and hates to be smoked fast. The initial char is a bit tingly/bitey, but it goes away; leaving way to one of the most enjoyable tobaccos I've known. I can't even remmeber all of the various flavor notes I experienced via the ounces i've smoked. Pack it light, smoke it sloooooow, and you will be rewarded with an amazing complex, deep smoke. Brush with water and cleanse your palate before this smoke, it is subtle, but amazing.

Psyktek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Psyktek (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I'm going to have to try this with some drying and, perhaps, in a different pipe. Let me say that I do like this tobacco, but it's more of a love/hate relationship. The charring light and the first true light bit like crazy. It's done this now thru several bowls. But I have to say that the rest of the bowl is very pleasant, although somewhat neutral. I don't have the most refined palate, and I tend to smoke when doing other things, so perhaps I need to pay more attention. I just don't get the "sweetness" that others have mentioned, but then I rarely get that with Virginias. There's no urge to get rid of the rest of the tin, in fact I find myself turning to it more frequently than other, more familiar blends. Maybe I just have to keep trying it and come back and revise this review later.

orka Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
orka (50)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not my favourite Mac Baren, but I do smoke it on rare occasions (tonight was one). Someone mentioned molasses and citrus (va) below me, and I think that is a pretty good description of it. It does have a little "cotton candy" feel to it. Not at all unpleasant, but then again, not really remarkable either. There is a spicy element as well which adds a little more zest to the blend.

Airing and resting in the pipe before smoking is an absolute must with this one, and even then it has a tendency to burn hot. It can however be mastered with careful attention and technique, at which point it becomes quite delicious, but I find it a bit too tedious for it to be really worthwhile in the long run. Club Blend is a much better variation on the Mac Baren theme, if you ask me.

DownSouth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DownSouth (8)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Well, I have to say that I really wanted to like this one. It's presentation is great, nice little discs of tobacco. The tin aroma is outstanding! The only problem comes with the smoking... I prefer to set fire to my tobacco, but this tobacco sets fire to my tongue! Prehaps it is my background as a cigarette smoker, maybe I'm just greedy and puff too hard or fast, but this stuff roasted my mouth good! Now if you are a light puffer, you might well enjoy this blend, as I said the aroma and presentation are great, but this one is just not for me...

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Dark Twist is a change up blend for me. I smoke a bowl or two per week. I like it for a change from English and Virginias that I smoke a lot more of. I have both the tinned version and some of the bulk cellared. The tinned is a little damper than I like and so is the bulk, so some dry time is needed. To me Danish tobaccos have a signature and Dark Twist has whatever makes Danish Danish. The coins can be stuffed in with some rubbed out on top, fully rubbed, or lightly rubbed, for me I get almost the same smoke no matter what. Large bowls or medium sized bowls seem to make little difference. I always smoke this in the evening. For me, this stuff bites from lightup to about midway in the smoke. From midway to finish this blend is best for me but the effects of the bite tarnish the overall smoke. I have never thought what a great Virginia. Whatever goes into the Cavendish is a neutral element to me. And yet I do enjoy this occaisionally.

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I bought this one on a coin toss a few days ago. At first open the tin is very well done if quite moist, very nice golden and dark brown coins of tabacco. Presentation is excellent on this one. My first bowl of this was on the wet side in a bent Wessex, due to that I'm now smoking it in a Peterson system 314. The light is very easy now that the tins been open for a few days and the flavor is very mild at first but seems to be getting better as I smoke. WARNING! Go slowly down the bowl or you'll need a tongue transplant! This one taught me on the first bowl that patience is truly a virtue.. (My mouth was numb for a while after that one.) If you go slow this is a very sweet smoke, not cased to heavily or unnaturaly sweet from the cav. but good for what it is..

Guyrox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Guyrox (131)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This tobacco is a real pleasure to the eye and the touch, you can break it as you please for your smoking needs. It doesn't result in long tobacco, though, due to the size of the roll cakes.

The tin aroma is very pleasant, just a tiny sweet, and the rolls are golden-medium brown with parts of black. But by the name Dark Twist, I was expecting a tobacco darker and stronger, but it's about the same as Club Blend or the original Roll Cake.

Being a blend of Cavendish and VAs, the taste fades after a week or so that the tin has been opened. It becomes plain flat. Too bad...

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Update: This is interesting, but it takes something in terms of extraordinary patience puffing that is not my style. This just burns the dickens out of my tongue at worst and fatigues my palate at best.

5/3/2003 Packaging and Presentation:

DT comes in a "coin twist," printed tin and not the Pringles chips pop-top variety, with the paper label. Beautiful tan and black coins are cleanly sliced and firmly rolled. Shall I simply look at this blend or smoke it? Coins were neither overly moist or brittle. Tin aroma was like smelling Christmas pie and cookies (my wife noted a Fig Newton waft). Casing is obvious and Danish, promising a fairly strong, sweet experience.

Packing Qualities:

Coins rolled easily into cylinders, stacked in layers or easily crumbled, and packed nicely into a group four-size bent bulldog with a tapered bowl interior.

Lighting Properties:

Some effort was required initially and continued throughout first third of the smoke. No problems afterward.

Burn Aroma:

Pleasant and mild to start. Builds to rich, complex, round aroma with noticeable casing, imparting a sweet room note. Spiciness noticeable, too.

Flavor Notes:

Initial: Sweet, mild, but complex. Midway: Richness builds, but flavors are consistent, spicy, sweet and pleasant. Ending: A wonderful, toasted marshmallow flavor and aroma end this treat. Dark tobacco flavors.

Miscellaneous Smoking Sensations: Smoke volume: Moderate, soft smoke Moisture: Some gurgle, easily remedied Mouth feel: soft and round, but tongue-bite awaits aggressive or constant puffing Burn rate: Over one hour; A slow burn

Overall Impressions:

This is a masculine, aromatic blend, reminiscent of Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake, but fuller-flavored, richer, more complex and less moist. Much sweeter and spicier than Three Nuns. One wonders if maybe a touch of Perique provides some of the spiciness to the otherwise dark Virginias and Cavendish components?

DT is truly enjoyable when given undivided attention. I will keep this on-hand to smoke occasionally, especially on festive days when an aromatic blend calls. Aging is not likely to add much to this unique blend. DT makes me want to try Roll Cake, also from MacBaren.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Very akin to Navy Flake lacking in body, with a tendency to nip at the tounge. To get this to burn cool I could not get enough smoke volume to truly enjoy it's nuances of flavor and aroma.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

It's hard to imagine a package more well put together. The tin and room aroma are excellent, presentation couldn't be better and the tobacco is of very high quality.

Having said this, it's just too mild for my taste but works well as an occasional change-of-pace.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is the best roll cake Mac B makes. It is dark and spicey just like the ad says. The taste is fragrant dark and sweet. A good in between tobacco for the flake and burley folks.Love the aroma!

Alouette Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alouette (7)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

After eight or nine bowls of this stuff I have come to the unfortunate conclusion that Dark Twist will work best for me as compost in the back yard. Despite its fabulous coin presentation, it scorches my mouth every time. I get a nice lemony Virginia flavour in there, but the perique or perique-like sting slows me down so much that the pipe constantly goes out while I recover. Not worth the effort in my books.

Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Ok...I know I said I would not review anymore MB, but I had to get this outta me before it burns me alive...pun intended.

I'll make it short and sweet...sweet, like the cased crap this is.

Very pretty to look at. Very nice to smell, but no real tobacco flavor. Very painful to smoke.

Hot! Hot! Hot!

Yuck!

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

I used to smoke a lot of DT before becoming acquainted to the many Vapers currently in my rotation. I was particularly intrigued by the spiciness of the perique. Unlike most of the Mac Baren blends with which I am familiar, this one doesn't scorch the tongue. Should I have an opportunity to smoke a bowlful, I won't pass it up. I just wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars as there are just too many really great Vapers available.

I tried this on the recommendation of a friend and I was not really impressed. #1 It smokes hot. #2 It has a very Mac Baren taste to it. #3 The room note was actually making me a little queasy. #4 After 2 bowls on 2 separate occasions I had to dump it each time. To be fair I am not a Virginia fan,but this really is not very good stuff.It always smokes hot and dry. the flavor is very "young". It seems it did not go through a very long aging process.Unless you are a fan of either Virginia mixtures or Mac Baren products I would steer clear of it. The best of their lot seems to be "Mixture". This was really a let down for me.

poupehan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poupehan (23)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I used to smoke this a few years ago, and at the time I liked it for the taste and aroma qualities mentioned by the other reviewers(positive reviews).

HOWEVER..

After a break in pipe smoking, I seem to be less compromising when it comes to tongue bite.I will not accept tongue bite anymore! My technique has changed and I will smoke as slow as needed not to be bitten. And this is where I come to the conlusion that a) I need to smoke this SO slowly that there is not enough smoke to be tasted and b) it keeps going out.

I can get Mixture, VA#1, Plumcake, Black Ambrosia and VC to work for me as cool and fragrant smokes(yes,yes!) , so I wish not to make generalisations about Mac and bite, but allas, this blend (and navy flake - same thing) does not work for me. And I'm on the verge of giving up on it. Well: so many good blends out there..

FiveRings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FiveRings (21)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Spicey, hot, complex, and biting. The best MacBaren I have tried . Bliss for some, but not for me .

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)

I'm not a MacBaren's fanatic. Dark Twist is one of the few tobaccos they produce that I smoked regularly. It's one of their more "natural" blends, which is probably why it appeals to me.

The tobacco is presented as a compacted "puck" of thin, spun-cut coins, about the size of a nickel. The coins rub out easily enough to produce a long, stringy ribbon-cut. The tobacco is easily loaded in any state of preparation: unrubbed, rough-rubbed, or fully rubbed. Tin aroma is a rasiny, dried-fruit smell of Virginia tobacco and honey/sugar-cased Cavendish.

Fully rubbed, the tobacco smokes well. Rubbing it out less gives more of the sweet and tangy flavors of the tobacco, but it has a tendency to burn wet in that form. I would suggest drying out a sufficient number of coins for a couple hours before loading if you're going to smoke this unrubbed. Flavors are of tangy VA tobacco, combined with a toasted marshmallow and caramel flavor that I presume is coming from the Cavendish component.

Room note is pleasant, and the tobacco has a fairly natural flavor. This is predominantly a Virginia blend with a high sugar content, so smoke slowly to avoid bite. This is a good "social" blend when you want something that has some flavor but won't cause objections from those around you.

UPDATE: This is one of those rare tobaccos that as I smoked it more and more, I grew to like it less and less. As my palate developed, I realized that this blend was rather bland compared to some of the heavier smokes I was enjoying. As such, I can't recommend this to anyone other than a new pipe smoker.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (72)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Yes, yes. Roll cakes are wonderful. Yes, I know red Virginia and black Cavendish is an intriguing combination. And isn't Mac Baren, after all, that wonderful company of friendly Danes who you just can't help but love. Fine.

Tell me this, though. How am I expected to enjoy a tobacco that produces a veritable deluge of acrid, sour liquid in the stem of my pipe? No matter what pipe I smoked it in, at least once during the bowl I would experience a sudden loud gurgling that would often send a sickening glop all over the inside of my mouth. The flavor of the tobacco up until that point was always mild and sweet, rather like raisins or ruby port. I simply could not abide the overwhelming wetness of this blend, however. I never attempted to smoke it in a corn cob. Perhaps I should have, but I'm not making any apologies.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (31)

What a nice surprise. My local tobacconist just got this in bulk so I gave it a go. Glad I did. Broke up easy and quickly loaded into my Peterson XL305. I love VA's and this was blessed with it. The casing of sugar was obvious at first gentle puff and added a tiny bit of artificial sweetness to a nice Va. Which to me was a change of pace from my pure McClelland Va's blends. You'll know when you hit the Kentucky fire, which I loved. A great blend, I do recommend. If you enjoy Va's this is will be a nice little twist for ya.

Pipe Used: Peterson XL305

Age When Smoked: from Bulk.

Purchased From: Ansteads Tobacco

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (20)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

A nice, medium to full flavor tobacco. Medium, spicy amareto taste. The cavedish seems to overcome the virginia. MacBaren score /4 (Strength 3, Flavor 2, Roomnote 2) My score 6/10

McNulty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McNulty (6)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

This was the first ever tobacco I bought when I took up the pipe a couple of years ago.

This is excellent stuff! Beautiful looking too. I like it rubbed, stacked, folded, doesn't matter. Just dry it a bit (or a lot!) or you will not taste it. Packed with savory flavor. Has a unique casing I find very pleasant. I can't describe it, but it is mild and yet distinctive. Definitely worth a try.

Even in a sea of fantastic tobaccos we have to choose from this will likely always be in my rotation.

JakeJones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JakeJones (4)

MY FIRST experience with this was not a great one. hard to light and keep lit, and harsh bite, but it had some great moments when a nice thick puff would draw in with good flavor and strength. I did dry it out a little bit but not enough.

MY SECOND experience was a really good one. It simply needs a good drying out. As I like to make coffee through a coffee siphon to drink while I smoke, I had a grand idea that worked great. I pre-heat my water in a tea kettle and when I turn the gas stove off and pour the water into the siphon, I lay the tobacco on a paper towel on top of the cast iron grate above the burner after it has cooled enough to not burn the paper. While the coffee is heating back up over the flame of the siphon, the tobacco is slowly drying out with the leftover heat from the burner.

By the time the coffee was done brewing, I had perfectly dried out tobacco. it lit easily, it stayed lit well and it smoked quite well. There isn't a ton of flavor, otherwise I would have given it full stars, but it was a very pleasant smoke with little bite and good strength.

Earthy and full, I will keep this around with my Sutliff Charlemagne for 2 nice pleasant smokes of different types.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (6)

Well, First time, First serve and I choosed McBaren's Dark Twist to be the ONE to do so and I must say I'm not dissapointed at all. For a neophyte just like me the experience was quite pleasant. Opening the can was a mesmerizing experience, the aroma of chocolat with rum and brandy turned into some kind of Moka with hints of figs.

The slices were moistered but considering the fact that I was told & retold to be patient just about anything going into this newborn ritual, I simply took the time to spread the slices in a paper and let the fair breeze and the heat of the day to do the rest. After a while they were dry and ready to be packed layer by layer into the bowl. Now I'm not sure if the overall experience was enhanced by the use of a Meerschaun calabash but it packed really smooth and clean with not so much difficulties. I left the smallest cuts and debris on the top and proceeded to light up.

REVISITED: I must say that Dark Twist is generally not a subtle smoking experience, and certainly ambiguous in what regards to flavour. That means that you are never sure what is the toping you´re dealing with, is it Liquor? Chocolat? Moka? Caramel? And it is always a sideshow, i wouldn´t say it has timing for the apparition of such flavours, they just come randomly at any moment and keeps you guessing. After half the bowl there is the only certainty available, Caramel becomes more distinguishable and pushing. You can almost feel the sugar melting, and just my guess, but maybe that is why Macbaren is famous for it´s tongue bite, the syropes they use may have an aboundant content of sugar, and that is also why most of their aromatic products retain the same consistency as base. Aside from asking method for packing, (that is "Not too tight" rather light) and slow timing for smoking (in order to avoid it´s punch), the smoke demands the best from the smoker in order to appreciate it´s notes, the strength of the tobacco domain as master and you will have to use all your mouth, the base of your nose (if you can or dare as it is generally abrasive) to find the ghostly aromas described before. It has a defined basis as result of the Virginias and around this base the subtlety of the aromas wander sweetened by the dark cavendish. It is a trick or threat.

Dark Twist its an overall very good experience, I wouldnt say it is for beginners, it is very demanding and a rollercoaster of intensity, rather a smoke for dedicate quite some time, focus and technique to fully appreciate.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (30)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Perhaps the best balanced among the Mac Baren spun cuts.

Most likely called Dark Twist because it suggests the character of black Irish twist tobacco, both of which contain dark-fired leaf. This gives the flavour a slight smoky tarry quality that combines nicely with the mellow sweet fragrant Virginia tobaccos. The aroma resembles freshly baked German black bread with sourdough.

The key to enjoyment is getting a slow steady burn, which is difficult when it's moist fresh out of the tin. So dry it out a bit. But don't rub it out. Just pinch the coins into rounded shapes, insert loosely into the bowl and even off the top. Your patience will be rewarded.

sentientchimp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sentientchimp (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco looks lovely when you first crack the tin. The small roll cake or discs of tobacco are a hearty looking golden color, and the smell suggests that a great, full- flavored smoke is to come. Unfortunately, like several others here, I was not greeted by a flavorful smoking experience, but rather with a fairly bland one. Occasionally, chiefly towards the end of a bowl, it feels like something brilliant is peeking through, but for the the most part the flavor is pretty light and elusive. I did not get much tongue bite, but certainly a lot of tongue burn, like the sort of sensation you get when you eat something like a lot of cinnamon on it. Finally, I'm not sure if it is due to the high humidity of the air these past few days, but this tobacco is taking forever to dry out and lose a little of its moisture. Coming straight from the tin it was quite damp. Overall, I'm not too crazy about this stuff. If you dont have a lot of options, give it a shot I suppose, but I'm sure nearly any tobacco shop has a better alternative.

vespa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
vespa (12)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted 5 tins of this over a year ago. I smoked maybe 3 or 4 bowls and gave all the tins away, even the one I was smoking out of. I did'nt experence any bite, but damn where's the flavor at? It was like smoking hot air. This has got to be the worst rendition of a Va, well maybe not, but not the Va experence I was looking for, so for each his/her own. I have found most MacB blends just that VERY BORING. If it's to your liking smoke away I'm done with all MacB products.

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (8)

I picked up a tin of this on the recommendation of a friend and must confess that I was not very impressed with this blend. I smoked a few bowls and things didn't get any better, so I put this one down as an "I tried it, didn't like it" blend. I set the tin on my tobacco shelf and pretty much just forgot about it.

Fast forward about a year. I saw this sitting on the shelf the other day and decided to give it another try and wow, what a difference a year makes. This is now a wonderful mid-day smoke and I am very glad that I didn't just toss the tin after the first couple of bowls.

I am putting this down as recommended, but for my taste only after it has rested for a year.

BaconandTobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BaconandTobacco (15)

This tobacco is sweet and spicy at the same time. While it is quite tasty it will bite the tongue. Well worth a try.

kalob cayton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kalob cayton (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

for a virgina this blend is pretty strong i didnt like it at first but like most tobaccos you wait a while and try again then u develop a taste for it........the compressed tobacco really burns slow and consitant but sip or it will bite you cant really detect and flavor except unsweet natural tobacco and maybe a hint of molasses but without the sugar

Hardly Novice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hardly Novice (1)

This particular tobacco blend was my first experience of pipe smoking, setting a good example of a Virginia blend. The blend creates a supple taste that comes with only a little bite on the tongue. The flavor has a hint of sweetness, yet is not overbearing. This is definitely a blend worth trying.

pipester1990 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipester1990 (5)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A good smoke, have to break apart the rolls to smoke it. I have never tried a roll cake tobacco before. I also intend to try some flake sometime soon as well. Looking forward to getting more used to the pipe world.

Patryk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patryk (2)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Please, would anyone out there help me out by sending some link or by actually describing how to correectly fill the pipe with the rolls? thank you.

PastorPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PastorPipe (17)

I really like Dark Twist Roll Cake, but it does give me one heck of a tongue bite. It lights well first off, but I find I have to relight it fairly often--it might benefit from a short drying. It's nice and sweet, particularly the first half of the bowl. Then the sweetness is less pronounced and a peppery note takes the floor. I taste a lot more Virginia than Cavendish. Its an enjoyable tobacco over all; but ooh does it bite. Even if I puff slowly my tongue hurts for a few hours after.

I've tried a few MacBarens. I get the dreaded MacBite from a couple which I will not name, but this isn't one of them. This was sent to me as a sample, so this review is not based on very many bowls, but I can already see that this is one that I could buy again. This is a fairly young sample, from 2009, and despite this, no nip whatsoever. One negative is that it seems to be about impossible to dry out unless put under a lamp, suggesting PG or a heavy topping, but somehow in the smoke, I do not sense a heavy topping. There is the usual MacBaren "Bit O' Honey," but it is not overbearing in this blend. The Virginias seem to be of good quality. This is a roll cake similar to Roll Cake Spun, but that is one of the MacBarens that bites me (ok, so I named it?), and this one does not. Which one will I buy again?

11-17-12 I have had a chance to try some of this that may be as much as 30 years old recently, and Mac Baren ages better than its reputation suggests...

nicotiana Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nicotiana (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

looks and smells great in tin. smells complex, some honey very subtle and not easily explainable.

upon lighting there is rich smoke...i like that and the overall quality of the tobacco is outstanding.

tastes are complex but very very subtle. there is spice and there is sweetness and it does linger for quite a while...i like that. should be smoked slowly..and does not bite

extremely disappointed about the strength of the taste but admire the complexity. it feels like the enjoyment of a mature smoker both in experience and age.

i will keep my eye on it.

SmoothSmokin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothSmokin (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not so much a fan of this blend. For me it burns pretty hot and with a lot of bite. I must admit i tend to push my tobacco a bit too hard but this one really stings.

There definitely was a dark earthy flavor to this blend that i enjoyed at first but overall it did not leave a positive lasting impression.

The room note is decent, nothing great, nothing bad.

I can't say a whole lot about this blend...it definitely wasn't bad but there are tons of other tobaccos i'd reach for before this one. All in all, going through the 100g tin had minimal pleasure at best; it didn't offer me anything enticing...maybe it will for you.

Scamp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scamp (20)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I was inspired to buy this tobacco after reading some of the reviews on this site, and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. This is a tobacco to enjoy in the garden on a nice sunny day with a cool pint of ale and a good book, preferably with a large bowled pipe to get a nice long smoke from it. This is a fairly slow burning tobacco any-way, but I found myself wanting more if using a smaller pipe. I would recommend putting the coins of tobacco into the bowl as intact as possible. I found this a very pleasant smoke that starts off quite light and spicey and develops as you smoke down the bowl into some very deep and complex flavours. Thoroughly enjoyable, will definately be buying it again!

Perique_Churchwarden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique_Churchwarden (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

If you wish to switch from Aromatic blends and/or sweeter, smoother tobaccos to something with a little more Spiciness and more "Earthiness" to it's taste,I would Highly Recommend starting with this blend.

This blend has much more a Spicy Flavour than any mild or even aromatic blend, but is mild in and of itself when compared to tobaccos with Fuller and much more Robust taste. This is a very nice "beginner's" blend if you want to get accustomed to tobaccos with more robust and spicier flavours. Of Course even tobacco connoisseurs will appreciate the smoothness and subtle robust features of this blend

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

Finally opened a 100g tin of this blend, didn't know what to expect here with it, complex/smooth....very very nice! As a video from Mac Baren suggested, just take a few coins, stacked (#-depending on bowl size) fold in half and stuff in pipe/tamp and your off to the races....it will have a lower burn-temp this way, so not to heat up the sugar in the Vs too much and thus you will have no Mac Bite :-)

Grab a few tins and enjoy it slow-sip'in style

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)

With a name like 'Dark Twist Roll Cake', you know it's going to smell good enough to eat in the tin. This is a lovely, mild, sweet tobacco with a spicy edge, with that 'honey on toast' Mac Baren flavour very much present. I don't know how they are able to offer it so cheaply, but I doubt you could find an aromatic of this quality for such a low price, unless it's another of the Mac Baren line. 8/10 for the quality, 10/10 for the price.

MisterSmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MisterSmith (8)

Rich, dark and sweet. A cool smoke. Taste matches its pleasant room note. If, like me, you are relatively new to pipe smoking and you want to venture beyond aromatics to something slightly stronger with a more complex taste then I think Dark Twist is for you.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is pretty good stuff. Slightly aromatic but there there is still a great viginia smokey flavor. Cavendish adds a nice sweetness. Has a pretty nice room note too. I would give this 4 stars but it leaves my tongue raw.... Smoke with care.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Twist is a roll cake tobacco consisting of dark Virginia, golden Virginia, and a spiced cavendish. Thus there is an appeal for both the Virginia smoker and the aromatic smoker. The cake is cut into disks between the size of a dime and a quarter, and then tinned. A nice aroma pours from the tin when opened, but with a hint of the underlying Mac Baren ferment. The disks rub out fairly easily, but I found the tobacco easier to handle if I first quartered each disk with sharp scissors and then rubbed.

The flavor is nice from the initial light through the bowl. But I was bothered by something in the tobacco; my mouth became extremely dry as I smoked. Sometimes I find it necessary to drink water or tea with a pipe, but with this tobacco a liquid was essential (I have the same reaction with some perique blends). With my favorite tobaccos, a drink isn't a requisite. The cavendish added a dimension to the Virginias that was interesting, but I think that if I want spiciness I'll go for either 2015 (a McClelland perique blend) or Dark Star. And the real focus of this tobacco is on the Virginia rather than the cavendish, anyway.

The tins of this tobacco are huge (3.5 ounces) and the price is right. It's not as inexpensive as tobacco shop bulks but less expensive than, say, a top of the line McClelland. So it's a good value. Like any Virginia tobacco, this one will burn your tongue if you smoke it too quickly, but if you relax and enjoy the slow pleasure of the smoke, Dark Twist can have some nice rewards.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I don't smoke many VA-CAV blends, but this one is really good. It is absolutely full of flavor, easy to smoke, with a sweetness and richness that is simply satisfying. I liken it to Peter Stokkebye's Bullseye Flake, which has Perique but tastes somewhat similar due to the addition of Cavendish. Very nice for a relaxing afternoon when you want to think more about the beautiful weather rather than what you're smoking.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (66)

I have been on the MB "World Tour" for some months now and recently picked-up a tin of Dark Twist. What a pleasant smoke. I wasn't surprised, as I am finding on this journey that MB produces quality products and exciting blends. Tastes can vary, but in terms of quality, moisture content, price, and presentation (such as this Curly Cut) MB shows their years of experience and expertise with the leaf.

This is a nice slow smoke with a subtle sweetness of a lower note that's difficult to name. Perhaps brown sugar, but not that sweet. It is complex, never boring. Easy to pack, burns dry and clean and does not bite. This is a wonderful evening smoke with Scotch.

grumpyoldprofessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grumpyoldprofessor (11)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have tried and am still trying to get the hang of this one. It packs easily, stays lit and burns nicely. I just can't seem to get beyong just thinking it's ok. Smells wonderful in the tin, but tastes too bland for me. Not as much sweetness as I hoped there would be. I've smoked 3/4 of my tin and will keep on trying. I will say that it is at least worth a try.

Bulldog Jeff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog Jeff (11)

This is not my every day smoke, nor do I crave this, but every time I smoke this, I enjoy it and say "Why don't I smoke this more often?".

Somewhat sweet, somewhat mild Virginia flavor with a deeper note to the background and a little tickle of spiciness. That deeper note in the background is NOT the nutty maple syrup cavendish Mac Baren is known for. I'm not sure what it is. Its pretty good though.

If you showed up at my house with a tin of this, I would gladly smoke some with you.

Sweetbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sweetbriar (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

this is a great/fun blend. great smoke in the winter here in montana. dark twist gets a bite rap and its usually not bite, it's spicy hot. i like to add things to this blend as well. try a strip of dark star between a couple coins. yup, a really good blend that makes my temples sweat and glasses fog. am i really the only one?

hockey01 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hockey01 (28)

It's a wonderful thing to open a new tin of this blend; the aroma is divine, something on the fruity/spicey spectrum. Unfortunately, the wonderful aroma doesn't translate into wonderful taste, however, but you have to expect this of Virginia tobaccos, I guess, which can be on the grassy side. It's fun (and easy) to pack the pipe with the little swirls of tobacco; sort of a unique pipe filling experience. The room note is unusual and not really noticeable as you're smoking. It's almost as though you need to leave the room and, when you come back, you say, "Ah! There's the room note." And it's a pretty good one.

One of the reviewers below mentioned that this blend needs to be smoked slowly. Amen to that and it seemed to smoke easier after the first re-light than when it was first packed into the pipe.

I've had a 3.5 oz. tin of this sitting in my tobacco 'stash' for, oh, probably several years now and with proper re-hydration, it always makes a good come back without losing aroma or flavor. Obviously, this is not a blend I smoke every day but I do like a pipeful now and then and enjoy its fruity aroma.

babysinister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
babysinister (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

DTRC is excellent tobacco. Muted and subtle but rich and flavorful nonetheless. The quality and sublime flavor and even the sidestream of this blend remain sedate yet persistent throughout the smoke. The tiny coin-shaped cake cuts burn at a desirably (for me) low level. But you're not supposed to puff just because it doesn't send out volumes of thick smoke; just let it come along in little slow sips. Nurse it and sip it and it will respond - do not attempt to resuscitate with brutal puffing to achieve an intensity that is not needed here. As with all other tobaccos, I do not puff away seeking a nic hit that is not there and, as in the MacBarens I've tried, is not supposed to be. When I smoke a bowl, afterwards it still retains in my sensory memory the subtle flavor and aroma that it delivered - in unspectacular yet indelible manner. This almost Proustian, lingering recall of its qualities may explain why those of us that love this blend experience the need to reach for a tin, without "knowing" why. And what an easy pleasure to fill and to keep lit. Let it air and dry out a good time. It smokes better on the dry side, like other MacBaren blends. But don't let it go all the way to bone dry. I experienced absolutely no bite with this tobacco. Remember to sip it slowly. Highly recommended.

Claudius Stradivarius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Claudius Stradivarius (171)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Dark Twist is not a dark roll cake by all means.

It is rather light brown.

As much as the tin aroma was great, spicy and sweet, I had to seek some sort of taste and strength.

Too bad...

I smoked this over 30 years ago and don't remember much of the experience. I have re-aquainted myself with Dark Twist Roll Cake only recently and am very happy I did. Beautifully prepared discs for smoking, and an ample quantity to boot. No overt tin aroma upon opening the tin (dated Jan. 2010), but on deep sniffing, there is the slightest essence of what reminded me of molasses. Loading was a breeze - I took several discs, folded them length-wise, and put them in my pipe like I do with my flakes. It took to the match very readily and remained lit throughout the bowl with only 2 re-lights. The moisture content seemed just right as there was absolutely no tongue bite, not did it ever smoke hot. There was a subtle taste of molasses/brown sugar throughout. There was the dominance of Virginia as I am used to with a Mac Baren's tobacco, but not as strong as with some of Mac's offerings The overall experience was quite enjoyable. The taste actually reminded me of treacle, or a brown sugar-like sweetness. There was no change in character with the smoke from first puff to last. No goopy dottle, either. Just a nice gray ash at the completion of the smoke. A mildly sweet, very pleasant tasting tobacco with just a hint of spice that would be suitable for an all-day smoke. No real tongue bite, but more of a palate irritation if smoked too fast. I would recommend sipping at this one as you will be rewarded with a unique sweetness in taste that is truly satisfying.

I thoroughly enjoyed Dark Twist Roll Cake and give it a solid recommended without reservation.

PHOBOS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PHOBOS (9)

I received four pouches this Mac Baren blend with eigth years aged. A gift. Perfect, dark colors, sweety tastes, no bites and nice aroma. I like Mac Baren blends and this smokes well, pleasant, great flavor with hints of spice and sweetness.Great pipe tobacco.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like MB blends and it is no surprise I like this one as well. When I first recieved this blend, I thought it was kind of bland at first and toyed with putting it in the cellar to age for awhile. But I tried a few more bowls and each time I liked it better. Now that I have smoked over 50gr of this I find myself reaching for it quite often. It has a nice spicy, creamey flavor, a really nice room note and it satisfys. In the tin it has a fresh VA type note to it and the little disks are very attractive and contain mostly a medium brown colored tobacco. It is a little too moist when first opened and improves greatly with some drying out. It packs rather tight in the bowl so you have to be careful not to pack it too tight, even if you rub it out a lot. It takes a few lights to get going and I find I have to relight a few times while smoking it down. It creates a very dark ash, dark grey and black and it burns down slowly and does leave some dottle at the bottom of the bowl. It is slow burning thus producing a cool flavorful smoke but if puffed to aggresively it can bite. This too me is a great blend, it does need some care in smoking it and prep, but worth it. A fine MB blend that I will keep around. I recommend trying it.

parttime Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
parttime (1)

I received a couple oz as a gift didnt think much of it at first. It's a very nice looking tobacco the coins are moist and pliable.I have smoked it by folding the coins and loading and drying a little bit to crumble and load, either way the flavor is great, hints of spice and sweetness that last the whole bowl if smoked gently. Having smoked primarily heavy english blends I am amazed that this has now become one of my favorite smokes. I find it smokes best in a large bowl.

Misanthrope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Misanthrope (2)

Got an initial taste of something like caramel but with very light sweetness. Became close to boring by the end of the bowl. Smokes very well though.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is my second go at a MB blend, my first being Roll Cake. I've been smoking a pipe for only three years and sometimes puff like crazy but still haven't had any bite with either MB tobaccos I've tried. I have smoked cigs for 20+, maybe that turned my tounge to stone.

Dark Twist has a great "spice" to it. Kind of cinnamon'ish? I love this stuff. I say that about most tobaccos I've tried, but DT really caught me. I find it a little stronger then roll cake, too. If you haven't tried it, what could it hurt? Opened a tin that I aged for a year and man, what a wonderful malty scent. Taste was much improved as well.

Mister Moo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mister Moo (11)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I agree with comment(s) below that this is a flat tasting product that can take non-seasoned pipers to the edge of tongue-bite and beyond. It's sole saving grace for me is the lovely presentation in the tin - practically perfect, small slices of beautifully packed flakes.

There is so much MacBaren product around! It's easy to find, the price is reasonable, the 100g tins are bulletproof, the packed appearance is flawless and I honestly WANT to like it but, for my palate, 95% of it falls short. Dark Twist was another try and it landed, again, in my MacBaren "also ran" category. It isn't bad - it's just nothing special. In a world of products that include MANY special blends, nothing special is not worth buying.

This blend sums up everything that is wrong with Mac Baren's, in my opinion. This is an unrefined, flat, overly mild blend that bites at the least provocation but that has a nice room aroma. There is a light spiciness in the smoke that promises something good to come but it just doesn't happen. It's not a bad smoke; certainly I found it preferable to Plumcake - but it's nothing that a long time pipesmoker could call a "reference" blend.

If I hadn't had such good success with Mac Baren's Symphony and, to a lesser extent, their Navy Flake and Virginia #1, I'd suggest that I just don't care for the Danish style of tobacco blending. Then again, Alfred & Christian Peterson have produced many noteworthy blends. I think Mac B's caters to a niche group of smokers (those somewhere between full fledged aromatics and natural English-style blends) and does quite well with it, I think. This one just isn't for me. Most Mac Baren's (with the exception of Symphony) will not find their way back into my cellar. But one classic blend forgives all!

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I've been working through a tin of this for about 2 months now.

As others have noted a very lovely roll tobacco. Looking at it, and separating the discs is some of the experience for me. While you pack, you get nice honey like whiffs...and this definitely gets better the longer Dark Twist has aged. I recommend a light packing...the rolls burn slowly enough without having to suffocate your pipe stem.

The taste is earthy sweet and only very occasionally tangy. The "special spices" provide just a bit of depth, but don't expect an existential experience. I find that I enjoy this tobacco most if I do concentrate on the smoke, but don't find the mysterious complexities of some of the full english or even "deeper" VA blends. The rich yet light taste (milk chocolate mousse comes to mind, without any really distinct chocolate flavoring) is like a fine dessert when you are in the mood for it. Mild tanginess at the end of the smoke.

The only flaw I can cite with this blend is that no matter how finely I rub it out, or how long I let the tobacco "air", it generally is a bit of a high maintenance bowl (frequent relights, and watch that bite towards the end). Though just an hour or two of sitting time seems to enhance the taste while retaining the slightly sugary moistness.

The end of the smoke usually leaves a toasty char in the pipe...easy to clean and very fresh.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Too get an idea of this tobacco, fill a pipe and give it three charring lights. Tamp each light with the tip of your tongue! How does that feel? Well that's what you get with DARK Twist. Believe it or not, my tin is over 15 years old and I have opened and resealed it every 5 years, hoping for a different result.

Chasm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chasm (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My ratings: = Bleh. Could not finish tin, dumped. = Passable. Finished tin, but didn't really look forward to it. = = Enjoyable smoke and would purchase again. * = Great smoke. Loved every puff and want more now!

This one gets a fail - one star.

I wanted to like it... the coins of rolled tobacco are fun to look at an play with. But as I have never been into flavored 'bacs of any kind, this one just didn't do it for me. Too sweet, too moist, and with none of the depth of character I like in a smoke. I dreaded having to pack this one and eventually had to call it a day and dump it.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

How many stars I see! But anyone is reading these reviews who have smoked 30 years ago? This was a really good tobacco, with a nutty constant smoke, very smooth, with a mild sweetness of the Virginia tobacco. Today is definitely changed, all his old qualities are missing. Today there are blenders who are much better than Mac Baren!

langston302 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
langston302 (14)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Ok I have enjoyed many MB blends but sadly this one just missed the mark for me. I found the flavor profile to be flat and somewhat boring. I was hoping to find a wonderful dark robust smoke in the tin but was greeted with a weak and lightly aromatic smell. I decided that trying it would have to be the way to go. I found that it takes to flame well either rubbed out or in its original disk shape. The smoke flavor was flat and uninspiring. I had no problems in draw but I felt like I had to puff like mad just to find flavor. This bl;end would be good for someone just entering the pipe world but not for the seasoned smoker.

pipe_organist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe_organist (14)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I've returned to the Mac Baren blends after years of avoiding them because of some rather mixed memories of them from my pipe-smoking days as an undergrad at Oberlin. I was smoking Golden Extra and Scottish Mixture in those days, and probably owing to being inexperienced, and smoking cheap pipes, had problems with tongue bite and gurgling, wet smokes.

Having been bowled over by my experiences recently with Mixture Flake, I decided to venture into their roll cake blends. "Roll Cake" isn't available at the local B&M, but this blend is, so I bought a tin to give it a whirl.

Here we go: Dealing with handling and packing these little roll cakes is new to me, so there's a learning curve, but I'm getting the hang of it. Being a fan of fully rubbing out flakes, I've been trying the method of just squeezing the little birds eyes between thumb and forefinger then packing. I'm still experimenting with this.

As for taste, the initial light renders the flavor of a very high-grade cigarette. It's not objectionable, I just wasn't prepared for it. As I got into the bowl, the dark spiciness of the blend along with its sweetness from the cavendish became evident. It's a subtle but nevertheless complex flavor, sometimes on the sweet side, sometimes dark and rich like a strong espresso.

I don't know if it's an issue of packing, or the pipes I've tried this blend in, but it does smoke hot and wet if you're not careful. This is a blend that demands good packing and slow sipping.

I suspect I'll replenish this after it's gone, but so far I'm preferring Mixture Flake over this as MF is a bit more complex in its flavors. Regardless, this is a nice blend and so I do recommend it.

viscfab Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
viscfab (81)

Awesome. The discs have an outstanding fig / caramel aroma. Tastes good, burns well and delivers a nice aroma. One of the best pipe tobaccos ever made. You can fold two disks and plug into the bowl of your pipe or rub it and crumble it. It shall be savoured slowly, to get the full experience without overheating, as this blend has plenty of sugars that can convert into hot steam. Aroma in the room is great too, natural and not overpowering.

schnorrer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
schnorrer (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias lead with a pronounced maple-syrup flavor, followed by a coffee-like background. The "coin" cut offers the advantage of the slow cool burn of flake with the easy packing of ready rubbed. The aroma and taste are sophisticated enough to smoke indoors at a fine bar or restaurant, and yet the coins burn cool enough to make it a good outdoor smoke- even in a wind.

This tobacco doesn't bite me at all.

Oldman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldman (5)

I really haven't experienced any tongue bite at all. Don't know why others say it "bites". This is, to me anyway, a very nice tobacco, not harsh at all and a very very pleasant smoke. I really like it a lot. I am an very experienced pipe smoker (over 50 years now) and tend to not rush the experience. It also takes to putting it down and re-lighting later (DGT) very nicely.

Neil Bell

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Another fine coin cut tobacco from Mac Baren!

Having already smoked Club Blend (very mild) and Stockton (medium strenght, nice flavor), I can say that this one rates approximately similar to Stockton: not heavy in nicotine, but with a nice body and moutfheel, and with a nice rich taste... if you smoke it slowly. Read my reviews for those two other tobaccos because the differences are minimal.

The coins are rather soft, of a golden brown color, and most of them have a very dark center of the delicious Mac Baren Cavendish.

Packing is easy, and it burns great: slow but not exceedingly so. It tends to burn a bit faster than Stockton, and hotter too: what I noticed is that while Stockton will go out after not puffing for a while, Dark Twist will keep burning! I recommend a wide bowl for this tobacco: it smokes particularly fine in two pipes I have recently acquired, a Castello Collection KKKK and a L'Anatra "Pettinata, and they both have a 22-23 mm wide bowl.

I recommend that you sip this tobacco truly slowly: not only because it is slightly astringent and spicy on the palate (not exactly bitey, but... tingling), but because it's the only way to appreciate it completely and avoid thinking "I smoked a bowl of hot air". The taste is only moderately sweet, with burnt sugar, caramel, some peppery spiciness, some nuttiness and a great yeast/freshly baked bread fragrance. Some black coffee, too.

Overall very recommended: I can't say whether I prefer this one or Stockton, because both are small variations on the theme.

PS This tobacco also reminds me in taste of another tobacco that I smoke once in a while, Timm London Blend 750. The Mac Baren is better, though: more taste, and slightly darker/spicier.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Having read the reviews of this tobacco so far, I find I agree with those saying this 'baccy needs to be smoked slowly. It is certainly not a tobacco for the beginner; it will bite badly if smoked too hot.

That said, I still find it to be a satisfactory smoke. It is mellow (though the manufacturer classifies it as medium-to-strong), I can easily make out the VA, and as the smoke progresses, light notes of chocolate and caramel develop, with a hint of spiciness.

The room note is what I would call old-fashioned, but in a nice way. Not one to draw in the Ladies, but good enough that you probably won't be thrown out of the building. The taste develops throughout the smoke, starting with a slightly tangy VA taste with a little added sweetness from the Cavendish to notes of caramel and chocolate. If smoked gently, it will leave a nice, sweet aftertaste on the tongue that lasts for an hour or so. Smoke this one too hot and you're on your own, though. Where I am, this tobacco does not come with the excess moisture so many of my fellow reviewers have noted; it's perfect to rub and stuff out of the (brand new) tin. The scent from the freshly-opened tin is nice and sweet, typically Danish, but without too much artificial flavouring; I make it a slightly sweetened VA with Black Cavendish, with the VA dominating.

As a roll cut, it'll keep its moisture almost as well as a flake. People complaining about the burning properties of this weed might benefit from a few hints: you want to use your widest bowl. For a rule-of-thumb, your actual thumb should fit into the bowl, or it's too narrow. This tobacco needs lots of space! Then, when filling the pipe, just fold (or gently rub) the tobacco eyes until the pipe is almost full; don't really stuff it, just let the tobacco find its own place in the bowl. For the top 5th or 6th of the pipe, take one or two eyes into your hands and rub 'em hard, then softly stuff them in. That way, this tobacco will light nicely and evenly and give you an even burn throughout.

One of the nice things about this tobacco is that it is very forgiving; if you have to interrupt your smoke for some reason (business, mother complaining about all the smoke, pipe burning too hot...), you can just let the pipe rest for a bit and then relight it without losing too much pleasure in the smoke. That should probably also be a hint to those who complain that the Dark Twist burns too hot: when you find that it does, just put the pipe down for ten minutes, then relight and try to keep things slow. And always keep it tamped properly, or it'll go ballistic? - that's why it's not a beginners' tobacco; you need to do a lot of maintenance if you want to enjoy it.

A charcoal filter (if your pipe can accomodate it) could help, too; being German, I am used to smoking with filters but I do realize that this is a rather localized affliction. I have smoked this blend without filters, and it was every bit as good.

I'll give it three out of four because it's a nice, satisfying smoke for the experienced but not truly exceptional. If I were a beginner, I'd give it maybe one for being hard to enjoy properly.

Bojupe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bojupe (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A great blend by MacBaren. I`ve been smoking it for almost 25 years and its still my favorite "all day" blend.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is my first go at the MB tobaccos available. I could tell by the looks and feel of it right out of the tin that this tobacco could bite like a pitbull if proper preparation and smoking technique were not excercised. I find that a thorough rub and and an hour or so of drying help. Also, I highly recomend the lightest of sipping, characteristic of VA smoking be used. This is definately one of the sweetest tobaccos I have smoked. Due to the sugar content alot of reward can be gained by the lightest of puffing combined with slow nasal exhaling. The sugars caramelize through a slow smoke and give many different degrees of sweetness and spice. I can totally see how many smokers that have aggressive puffing technique could find this tobacco harsh, wet, and searing. I too like blends that don't require so much attention but, the world of virginias adds so much one smoking experience that I just have to execute patience and discipline, so that I don't miss out. In smoke this blend so slow and light that I try to keep it almost on the verge of going out. Usually it dose but, its because of me...not the tobacco. The relight always blasts a cornucopia of sweet textures across my palate, so I'm never annoyed by a relight. Also, because of the high sugar content I find that smoking this blend in new pipes creates an excellent char. A tin last me a long time because of the much needed slow smoke. Highly recommended with medium strength coffee in the mid morning.

Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a grand classic from Mac Baren.

Semi aromatic, dark Virginia/perique roll cake with deep, semi sweet and honeyed/toasty flavor, mild and tasty, overall excellent dark Virginia spun cake, also available in bulk.

Solid stuff, worth your time and your money!

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)

This blend is one of the best Mac Baren's mixtures. It is easy to smoke, decent, although not light. So it is not for empty stomach. Even for beginners preparing cake for smoking would not be problem.

Duke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Duke (39)

I smoked this often twenty (20) years ago, and recently picked up a tin based on memories past. Currently I have been turning to Virginians (see Dunhill Lt. Flake Rev). I've re-discovered how much I like this blend. Yes it's sweet and light on nicotine, but as the smoke progresses nice caramel and tobacco notes develop. I smoked it in an old Sasieni Pot. The medallions nearly fit into the bowl whole, and mostly intact. This tobacco smokes best when given some elbowroom in the bowl. In fact, I have been enjoying my Virginians in Pots too. Check it out yourself. I tend to dry my tobacco prior to ignition, so you may want to find your preference. After the last tin emptied I've grabbed another. To call it an aromatic, for me, risks turning people away from sampling a really fine tobacco.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)

If you like other MacBaren light Aromatics, you would most likely find this pleasurable as well. It didn't bite me like most other MacBarens have in the past. Burn and Packing were very easy, even when more moist than I prefer, and the smoke produced was ample (I'd prefer tobacs that produce more than only whisps of smoke). Flavor was sweet, with the obvious cased cavendish flavors mixed with a nice VA base. By obvious cased cavendish, I am referring to aromatic blends like Capt Black. This is a lot better than Capt Black, IMO, but the always present backdrop of flavor is that sweetened cavendish taste.

I gave it 3 stars with the stipulation that THIS is what you're looking for to smoke. If you're not after a VA+Cav sweetened blend, you won't like this one.

Gunnar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gunnar (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Yeah, leather! That's it! This is one of my favourite blends for more than 20 years now, but I never could explain the taste. Yes, it reminds me to leather, to my horses!

I use to rub the cakes and almost "gravitiy fill" a bowl with a relatively large diameter. Puff slow and cool, and you'll get a very pleasant smoke without tongue bite. As most MB blends, it will bite you when smoked too hot and/or in the wrong pipe!

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)

After a pretty awful experience with one of MB's other "rollcake" tobaccos (Latakia Blend) I was wary of this one being equally tasteless. Luckily, this was not so.

What most everyone here says is true - it is mild, slightly sweet and has that typical MacBaren taste. It has a slightly spicy note as one gets down the bowl - kinda reminded me of a VERY light VAPER. I took the advice of others reviews on this site and dried it out considerably before smoking. This seemed to eliminate any of the dreaded tongue-bite so often attributed to this brand.

Not the most earth-shattering taste, but good when you are looking for something that won't offend others and doesn't require a lot of your attention Dark Twist is a good choice.

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (47)

This is similar to other Mac Baren roll cake tobaccos, but seemed slightly drier from the tin than other varieties that I have tried. As with all Mac Baren blends, the quality of both the tobacco and processing is very high.

I always rub these blends out, and this one seemed to possess slightly longer ribbons when rubbed out. They required some shredding to work with a gravity method of loading the pipe.

This took a moderate amount of effort to get going, but burned well, and was moderately cool throughout the bowl. What was lacking was any particular flavor which elevated this above the ordinary. The three stars is for the overall quality of the product and its fine smoking qualities. For flavor, however, there are many VA blends which offer a more well-rounded smoke with a richer flavor. Davidoff makes a similar blend which contains perique along with the cavendish, and offers much more bang for the buck in the flavor department.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Well aged, quality Virginia seasoned deftly with cavendish and spun perfectly. Handled with even rookie Va technique, this one sings! Burns cool, dry and evenly all the way to the bottom of the bowl and develops some very tasty variations on the theme as it wends its way south.

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (27)

I´ve tried about 5 Mac Barens, and finally found one that completely satisfied me. It didn´t burn my tongue at all, except a little bit in the beginning. The flavor is very good, and the casing very elegantly and discretely added. The presentation is very appealing and nicotine content perfect for a regular all-day smoke.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I do enjoy a few MacB's for many reasons. Widely available, good quality and fairly priced. I go to my MacB's when I want a sweet cased smoke. DT is added to my MacB list, Vanilla Cream, Navy Flake, Plumcake and Mixture. I find it a little milder in strength than Navy Flake, also a little less artificial tasting in it's casing. I would put this along side Mixture in the sense that it is a solid MacB blend that is well known and proven and should not offend anyone. Spicey, sweet, mild with enough punch, not too much bite, a good value navy blend.

Edit: up to four stars, it does bite, but dried and sipped this really is a winner, a great sweet navy, not as musty and earthy as some but for the price it earns full rank.

j4nier38 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
j4nier38 (9)

Excellent stuff. I decided to try this based on the reviews I have read on this site and had pretty high hopes for it and it has definately lived up to those hopes. A very good looking tobacco that has a tangy taste with maybe a bit of molasses. It will bite if it is not dry enough but if it is then it is excellent. It has become my favorite tobacco for a while now.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (40)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Having really enjoyed the tin of Plum Cake I picked up a while back, I figured I would try the Dark Twist . I have been very impressed so far...but I will have to come back to update this as I have only had a couple of bowls in a new Savinelli, but even though the pipe is still breaking in, this mixture has smoked cool and smooth with an intoxicatingly tangy aroma. As I learn more about what this blend has to reveal to me, I will return to post more!

In the mean time get out there and try some!

1/18/08 I may have lost my "touch" with this. I am going to have to experiment with different packing methods. I have tried stacking coins(sometimes good), folding the coins vertically like slices(less good), and rubbing it out. So far rubbing it out seems best, but I think it might need a little more time to dry out. As I have delved deeper into the tin the tobacco seems more moist, and therefore a little more tempermental in the pipe. I have also found I only like it in filtered pipes, or it just makes my whole mouth sting. I won't give up on though!

3/4/08 LOL, I "found" my touch again! As many have stated the secret to a good consistent smoke from Mac B is to make sure the tobacco has had a chance to dry some. I have also had much success with rubbing out a larger portion and then letting it rest in the tin. Now it is like having a very unique tin of ready rubbed. It's biting nature has been greatly reduced, and mor e of the sublte flavors of malt, maple, molasses, and even a few citrus notes come alive on the palate.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (110)

Another beautiful-looking MacBaren tobacco, Dark Twist Roll Cake seems to burn too hot for me. Once in a while, this blend does not seem volcanic. But more often than not, it's just too much trouble for what infrequent pleasure it delivers. Other MacBarens offer a better smoking experience for me.

UPDATE: As mentioned in a different review, I read where drying out MacBaren tobacco greatly improves the smoke. Well, I did that with Dark Twist and found a huge improvement. Drying this out lead to a richer, molasses-like quality combined with natural Virginia sweetness. And far less tongue bite, too! I really like this now. I revise my rating to 3 stars.

Govern Yourself Accordingly!

SmokeKing David

PipePaladin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipePaladin (78)
Medium Mild Medium Strong

Now we talk business!!! This is a serious tobacco and a luxury for your pipe! Good nicotine levels with rich taste and also not overwhelming! Very light toping in beautiful rolls similar to Dunhill navy rolls (but smaller)! A must try - must have tobacco for special moments! If you can purchase the economy pack buy two of them!!! One of the best blends I ever had..!!!

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (63)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

The best MB and one of the best tobaccos I have ever smoked. Not a flavor bomb, but a subtle, intoxicating smoke... molasses sweetness balancing citrus virginias.... and the room note is perfectly pleasant.

As with all Mac, you must dry it and smoke slow.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

I was pleasantly surprised by look of this tobacco. I love the quarter-sized rolls this comes in. The tobacco is fairly mild and has a great VA taste. It is a lot like their Navy Flake in taste, but is a bit stronger. I will enjoy this early Christmas present as a true surprise. On a slightly sour note be careful this one will bite if not smoked carefully.

Pipers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipers (19)

Yes, this is an excellent tobacco. I took the advise and let it dry out a little. If you like navy flake then this is well worth a try. Packed in small coins and with a rich taste. Enjoy...a real winner. This does have a tendency to nip, but if dry out a little it makes all the difference.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)

I think Dark Twist is improving with age.  Last time I tried it it smoked a bit wet, so I put some on a piece of paper on our firebox for 5 min until it got somewhat crumbly, as opposed to staying in a ball when rolled up.  This helps the tobacco stay lit, although slower smoking is required as with any dry tobacco where it is easy to overshoot the optimum burn rate.  The smoke was mellow and comforting, with a flavor that I couldn't put my finger on at first. It's fun to try to identify words that describe the sensations.  Finally, this morning, I realized what it was: oatmeal-raison cookies.  Hence the "comfort" factor.

This and MacB?s Navy Flake are my favorite of this kind of highly-processed Danish- style tobacco. The tin smell is marvelous, but the smoke from this style is often not as good as the tin aroma, and not as nice as the room note. This, however, is high quality tobacco. I can see that MacBaren puts a lot of effort into this one, and I enjoy it, although it doesn?t knock me out with flavor as do some other tobaccos.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not too fond of Mac Baren, so when the local tobacconist handed me this I thought that at least one of my friends would be thankful of getting an almost full bag for free. How wrong I was.

This is an excellent Virginia with a remarkable Cavendish that always stays in the background. The first third of the bowl can be a pain to the tongue and the briar even when smoked carefully. Slow puffing is a MUST. This is probably the most hot burning blend I've tried, and that's why it doesn't get 4 stars. Even with breath smoking I have to put down the pipe a couple of times to let it cool and refresh my mouth, although it consistently burns down to dark grey ash with no dottle.

Recommended to VaPer fans.

bilbohooker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bilbohooker (12)

I have been going through Mac Baren's various offerings slowly over the past three years. This is my absolute favorite so far. This tabak reminds me alot of the halfzware cigerretes I used to love so much(and were strongly addicted to). That's why I love this tobacco so much. I get a good bit of that flavour and don't have to inhale anymore to enjoy it. Very difficult to describe the actual flavour here, it's just a quintessintial Danish type taste. Good strength and body, very satisfying. Little sweet, little spicy, good base. This could be my Holy Grail of tabaks, although I would not recommend it to beginners. Experienced pipers who like this type of stuff I believe will enjoy it.

03/05/2005 This is a good everyday smoke. Reminds me a bit of MacB's Navy Flake though more user-friendly. Three and one half stars. (out of four) Update 11/06/2006 No longer enjoy the flavor of this tobacco. Still one of the better MacB's offerings.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)

Dark Twist is somewhat eccentric in presentation inasmuch some slices have a dark heart of black cavendish and some do not. I filled a pipe with slices without the cavendish and was struck with the similarity of taste with Luxury Twist Flake. The cavendish spice takes it nearer the Plumcake spectrum rather than in the Mixture or Navy Flake direction. I can smoke it all day with pleasure. I have had no problems with tongue bite - but it is a Mac Baren product. It does generate moisture.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a sliced roll-cake tobacco. It is presented in the tin as dime sized "coins" of tobacco; you can see the different layers of tobacco types within the coins. It has a nice virginia smell to it, with some of the coins containing black cavendish in the center and others with different shades of virginia only. I like the way this tobacco loads in the pipe; just grab a few coins and bend them in half and stuff them into the pipe. You can light it like this, but I prefer to break up one coin and pack it lightly on top. Fire it up and you get full tobacco satisfaction! No artificial flavoring that I can detect. The room note is pleasant also. I only recently ventured into the tinned tobacco market, and this is my favorite so far....highly recommended.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)

This is a tasty dark brown Virginia, with perhaps a touch of perique. This is by far my favorite of the Mac Baren roll cakes, being a darker Virginia than both their Club Blend and Roll Cake, and the black cavendish is less apparent.

The sample I had was well-aged and was great: smooth, somewhat sweet but rich and balanced. I've yet to try any right out of the tin.

tymons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tymons (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

Dark Twist was my favorite pipe tobacco for many years, but I have developed preference for other tobaccos recently. In the past, Dark Twist produced a very sweet sensation on my tongue. Tobacco from my latest tin does not produce that experience for me. The tobacco is rather harsh on my tongue ? it always has been. I cannot smoke Dark Twist for long, day after day, without feeling as if my tongue has been abused with sandpaper. The blend?s aroma is unusual, I believe. Many people seem to find the aroma offensive, though I enjoy it. I still like to smoke Dark Twist occasionally for variety.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a great blend. This has a very nice lightly sweet flavor. I do not find the tongue bite bad at all. One of the wonderful things about this blend in the Cavendish, it really provides a nice body to the tobacco and the smoke is absolutely delightful. I really like this blend as it is enjoyable anytime. I would highly recommend this to anyone.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best of the Mac Baren family of tobaccos. These sliced coins of roll cake tobacco taste great for those who enjoy pure tobacco flavor. No flavorings are detected but that is not to say this tobacco lacks flavor. On the other hand, it is delicious. Smoke slowly or like most Mac Baren blends it will bite you. best smoked in a large bowl given plenty of time. Well worth trying.

OleFattGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OleFattGuy (27)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Interesting rolls - some with a bull's eye of black cavendish some without - , but sloppily strewn into the tin and jammed together causing some of them to fold double. Nice toasted smell of cinnamon buns or something like that out of the tin. Has a tendency to burn the tongue when smoked unrubbed, and a bit on the wet side to. I carry the little coins around in a metal can in my pocket so they dry out nicely in a day. Stuffing your pipe with sought out ones with a dark center is more rewarding, supplying a more varied experience. If you rub these coins out you get extremyly long and finecut strands of blond Virginia like a shag, and a couple of loose dark Cavendish pebbles. They tend to separate into two completely different types which can be hard to mix in one pipe, structurally. Overall a good smoke but go slow, or else.

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Twist indeed. This has got to be the most wicked looking weed that is legal; bares some similarities to another type of plant. This one is fun to rub and look at in my canning jar. This is a decent smoke, but are better VA out there to be sure. All in all I keep it always on hand as my fun smoke and visual seduction effects it has on me. Everyone who likes to get in there and play with their tobacco must try Dark Twist at least once.

Overall, a round tasting, good sight seeing, good time.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

I have discovered that to gain an understanding & appreciation for the characteristic MacBaren taste & aroma, you really need only sample two blends, 'Dark Twist' & 'Mixture'. They are the comprehensive MacBs that reveal everything about this blending house. All the others I've tried are merely amped up or toned variations on a similar theme. Unlike C & D or McClelland, who can take the same 4 or 5 tobaccos & make them taste 20 different ways, MacB tends to be monochromatic & predictable. Yes, DT is very MacBaren: honey, heather, light, young, tender Virginias & occasional circles of black cavendish rolled into elegant little coins that easily rub out & pack nicely in the bowl. This is not very dark, but a bright & sunny blend of roll cake. It's my first experience with this type of cut and I like it. My tin was very dry & the burn was hot, but after a shpritz of distilled water & left overnight, it became tamer & yielded more aroma & taste. DT is a creamier, lighter, less fruity version of Mixture, with its own subtle complexity & charm. It's very good & I can understand its enduring presence in the world of tobacco. I truly appreciate 'distinguishedgentleman's' apt observation of DT: 'it has a "young" flavor'. If you're not a straight VA smoker, this might be a bit much for you. This is one I will enjoy occasionally along with the venerable Mixture. Besides that, I see no reason to try other MacBs.

Three and a half of five stars

Gumshoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gumshoe (3)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A good all around Virginia. But this one, for me at least, really shines on the last 1/3 of the bowl. The cavendish comes out, and the natural raisin-ish flavoring of the Virginia increases and mixes with it. Smoke this one slowly, don't scorch it.

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a very pleasant surprise to me. I have tried several of Mac Baren?s offerings and I hadn?t previously found anything I particularly liked. Dark Twist Roll Cake is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I don?t typically smoke aromatics, though I do smoke Haddo?s Delight by GL Pease, Luxury Twist Flake by Stokkebye and Hartwell?s Evening Stroll, Dark Twist will add another to my line up.

Appearance: This blend has a beautiful presentation, being comprised of small ?coins? of twisted pressed cake. Though predominately red and golden Virginias, there are many ?coins? with darker centers containing spiced dark Cavendish. There is a significant amount of ?birdseye? in these disks as one might expect from the formation of twisted pressed cake.

Tin aroma: This is a very nice mixture of matured Virginias and spiced Cavendish. There are deep molasses tones a slight sour tang one expects in Virginias some slight spicy tones and a deeper fig-like aroma. There is a slightly nutty quality as well; I would expect a small amount of Burley in this mix, though no one has mentioned it. I detect a sweetness and I?m often tempted to take a small bit and chew it, it smells that good!

This tobacco is nearly perfect in moisture straight out of the tin. . I normally simply roll the disks up and insert them into the bowl; I then rub one or two ?coins? for the very top portion to facilitate a good light. Lighting is usually a one match affair, and generally stays lit throughout the entire bowl, unless I let the pipe go out. As expected, the initial flavor is very spicy and sweet though not overly so on either count. There are distinctly citrus notes of the Virginias and a deep harmonious flavor of well mannered Cavendish. The ?spice? quickly yields it?s dominance to a nice throaty Virginia/Cavendish medley which continues to build throughout the bowl.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and the flavors mix and match very nicely. While this blend is not very complex, it is however plenty interesting in character. There are subtle changes here and there as each component asserts dominance from time to time. The ?spice? is always ?just there? the Virginias and Cavendish engage in a friendly competition and a nuttiness I normally associate with Burley peeks through from time to time. While not particularly strong in nicotine, there is plenty of flavor and body to this mixture.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, the strength of this mixture has built to a fine mélange of flavors and fullness. Though many other reviews mentioned tongue-bite, I have not experienced any. This is a very well behaved tobacco of fine quality. Knowing that it is mainly Virginias is all the information I need to know how to smoke it. I tend to ?sip it? slowly and thereby enjoy the deepening flavors without any trouble with heat or sourness that can result from over-puffing a Virginia mixture.

The ONLY drawback is that something about this blend tends to plaster my pallet. I often reserve it for late in the evening; because I?m rarely able to ?cleanse my pallet? enough to really taste anything else. Sometimes I just load up a bowl of Dunhill Nightcap or Bill Bailey?s Balkan as I suspect I could taste either of them with my tongue removed.

This tobacco blend has earned a place in my everyday rotation, I?ll be smoking a lot of this.

Supplemental Notes: My personal recommendation is that several pipes be reserved for this mixture as the spice tends to ?color? the bowl rather rapidly and might not mix well with other mixtures. Rating for those interested in numbers *1/2

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

If youre an "english" smoker try something else.For the rest of us this is quite good!I smoke slower than some I guess but this blend smokes cool and dry for me.Of course when the flame is lighting the tobacco and the first bit of working it may be hotter but arent most blends if you huffing it?I find most MacBaren blends to be very good and true they dont bombard you with heavy this or that which is fine for me.Dark twist has a spicy edge and a mediun flavor that most non latikia addicts will enjoy.No head swimming nicotine levels just and all around pleasent medium boidied smoke ...... enjoy

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (96)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Actually, I was going to rate this lower, but I'm warming to it. I have had a tin in my car for six months or so, (an artifact of on-the road desperation and opportunity) and its "onlyness" has forced me to smoke it. Early bowls bit like sulfuric acid and it felt like my tooth enamel eroded where its fumes entered my mouth. Good news: it improved with age.

Peculiar looking: bullseye rings, with or without a chocolate brown waxy center. I fold the coins, stuff tightly, and bore a central 1mm shaft with my Czech needle. Though moist and sticky, two lights to the bowl. Great for driving: not much attention needed. I found the unrubbed version necessary for burn control. A hottie!

Steamy, sharp, sweet, and good enough not to replace with another. But make sure you are stocked with fluffy pipe cleaners or else use a reservoir pipe or you'll be drinking it. I tried drying it but it just intensified the acid effect.

MacBaren's specialty is burleys. Go to McClelland, F&T or Rattrays for Virginias which are cavendish-free. But if Dark Twist is the only thing you can find in the truck stop besides fruitys, Half and Half, VIP and generic Cap'n Black, consider yourself quite lucky. As Garrison Keillor would say, "it's... not that bad..."

Update 12/10:

I get the impression while reading MacBaren reviews that the self-professed “experienced” smokers do not realize that 1. MacBaren blends are predominately cavendish, and cavendish is a mild variety, 2. Overpuffing to get more flavor from mild cavendish bites one's tongue, 3. MacBaren blends are predominately aromatic and experienced pipers should already know whether they like aromatics. Perhaps they should acquire some experience in reading labels first. Arrogant asses used to annoy me, now I merely ignore them.

Me, I like this occasionally. I also like others that are essentially the same (Club, Roll Cake, Navy Flake). The U.S. has Lane candy blends, the U.K. has its Lakeland soapys and Europe has MacBaren: you either like them or you don't. I personally think MacBaren is the best source of sweetened cavendish in the world and Dark Twist is the best of its genre. The inclusion of Virginia tobaccos (vs. burley) lends their natural sweetness that complements the ubiquitous MacBaren honey and causes this blend to improve with aging.

I'm giving this three stars because it's a once-in-a-while smoke. An opened and well-resealable tin will last me a couple years; it improves the whole time.

OlFacty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OlFacty (11)

After cracking the seal on the tin I was immediately impressed with a beautiful arrangement of roll cake "coins" varying in color with random hints of black Cavendish.

The tobacco was just slightly damp, but dried out nicely within a few minutes (in the Colorado lack of humidity).

The aroma of the tobacco in the tin was Sweet Virginia with a slight molasses topping.

The cut of Dark Twist gives the smoker many options (leave the coins intact and folded or shred to shag). I choose to completely shred the coins into shag making it very easy to load. The bowl stayed lit and produced a wonderful amount of smoke

The emerging flavors of Dark Twist were sweet and spicy, with the topping not being too strong to overpower the wonderful tobacco flavors.

According to the previous reviews this blend has a wonderful room note, although I have not had any comments I can tell you that the room note should be very enjoyable for the smoker.

I would recommend this to all!

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

One of my all-time favourites. Dark twist is in my opinion one of the best Danish blends ever made. It's very unique, and i haven't succeded in finding anything comparable to it - except for Club Blend, which, unfortunately is the same thing, but with added napalm...

Dark Twist has musty notes of Brown toffee, slight, very slight hints of Samson Halfzware, Flapjacks and roasted nuts. I can't help myself always comparing tobacco with food..

It's best when you dedicate a pipe for this blend, because the taste get's better and better over the years if you have a pipe saturated with Dark Twist. I have two, so they won't get sour.. Very unique.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is one of the few Mac Baren blends that doesn't make my tongue "toast". Most all of the MB blends bite!

The other plus of this tobacco is that it's got more weight/roundness than the other Mac Barens blends.

Still, I prefer the G&H flakes such as Rum Flake for this type of flavor - but this ain't bad.

Honorable mention amongst the Mac Baren blends. This one and Navy Flake are the two that I'd recommend for those who like the Mac Baren flavor but don't want to experience the most severe tongue bite.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

As non-Periqe Virginias go, I really like Dark Twist. It has a natural sweet & sour flavor that I find appealing, and it is plenty full for a Virginia. I think it has some nominal casing, but it doesn't interfere with the taste of the tobacco. I also really like tin aroma, and the cool hand-packaged diskettes are a pleasure to rub out. I think this is a quality tobaco that deserves a spot on my tobacco cabinet shelf.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried this at the last pipe club meeting and immediately had to pick up a tin so I could smoke some more. I have to say- this is more great Macbaren tobacco. Where Navy flake is at the lighter end of taste and mixture is in the middle of the spectrum, Dark Twist takes the dark side by storm. Smooth and rich, this stuff has notes all over the place. On the low end it has a molasses feel, in the middle some yeasty Va, and some really nice spice at the top. It can bite, but no more than any other quality tobacco, and it did burn cooler than Mixture or Virginia #1. The smoke is quite substantial in the mouth, and the room note is heavenly. This would be the perfect dessert after a nice fillet and some good red wine. I like it!

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is probably one of the more interesting blends I've tried. The tin aroma has a sweet/sour aroma, very pleasant mind you. I didn't sense any heavy aromatic topping at all. I have to say I really liked the spiced cavendish used here it's the best I've ever had. Overall just a great tangy, sweet, spicy throat tickling smoke. I also loved the way this clears out the nostrils when blown through the nose. My tin was pretty fresh, I'd imagine this would age really well in the tin. I highly recommend this blend to others.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark and sweet tasting without the syrupy flavor. Rub it out a little and/or smoke it slowly because it has a tendecy to get hot. If smoked gently however it's quite a delightful smoke. I agree with most of the reviews here. This is probably the sweetest Virginia out there. It promotes a slight wetness but even that is delightfully sweet. I like a little juice here and there. It's a shot of nicotine . This I could smoke all day. Virginias are a nice departure from englishes when your pallet starts to tire from them and Dark Twist fits the bill easily. If you like Plumcake and never tried this blend your missing out on a very naturally sweet pleasant smoke thats satisfying.

Superhula Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Superhula (6)

Unlike other reviewers, I don't find this tobacco to be particularly sweet other than it's can aroma. On the contrary, my experiance is that it has a mild, but savory flavor. I love this stuff when I smoke it in a meerschaum bowl calabash. It smokes dry and tastes buttery. On the other hand, every time I've smoked it in a briar pipe, it gives me the "bowl of steam" effect--wet, hot, flavorless, and annoying.

I've grown bored with the endless variety of English blends, which, after all these years, start to seem more or less the same to me except for differences in strength. I'm looking for something REALLY different and interesting. I was hoping Dark Twist might be it. It is not. But still, for me it's been a modest but nice change of pace (at least in a meerschaum bowl).

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is probably my favorite mac baren blend. It is a wonderful, unique blend. As its name suggests it is a dark tobacco and is dark in flavor. This is the most complex mac baren blend that I have tried. It reminds me of halloween or thanksgiving or maybe even Christmas. I think the flavors in the spiced cavendish have something to do with this. I usually only smoke this in the fall and winter time for some reason. It may have to do with the the spicey kind of pumpkinish flavors that come through on this. This blend can be kind of tricky as far as finding the best way to smoke it. For me smoking it very slowly in a medium to large pipe after it has been slightly rubbed out works best. I would give this the highest rating except that it is a seasonal blend for me. Very good and highly recomended.

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

First off I like the fact that MacBaren's has decided to make this tobacco into a coin shape. It's easier to rub out than something like Navy Flake which I find I have to wash my hands off after rubbing out. Plus there's the added advantage that you can rub it out or leave the coins intact if you're smoking outside as I frequently do.

The flavour of dark twist is a kind of spicy molasses with a very Virginia base. I'm a big fan of the Virginias so this suits me just fine. The flavour starts off sweet and then becomes much more like a striaght Virginia with that spicyness of the dark cavendish balancing it out. The molasses is still there, but it's deinately relegated to the background for the majority of the pipe. The flavour becomes more and more rich as you reach the bottom of the bowl, but never becomes acrid. It's a great flavour journey from the top to the bottom of the bowl.

I find the tobacco is just a touch on the moist side so to avoid gurgles I like to leave the coins out for an hour or so, just enought to take away a bit of the moisture. Maybe because of this or maybe because of the virginia base I find the tobacco can burn fairly hot if you're not careful with your technique. Tongue bite is guaranteed if you like to puff like a maniac, but it's a well behaved tobacco if you can sip it like scotch.

The nicotine content is there, but it won't knock you out and the tobacco burns nicely to the bottom of the bowl leaving a nice grey ash. All and all a good tobacco.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is my go to tobacco when you just want to sit down and have a relaxing smoke, I generally smoke this in a W.O. Larsen Cognac or a Bjarne Brandy. If you like the taste of Virginia Tobacco you will love this one

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

You would think that this tobacco should satify everybody. A good VA and CAV mix. Probably too strong for the novice.

The spicy Cav with the Va really enhances this blend. Plus, I have received many compliments on dark twist's room note and the coin shaped tobacco makes it convenient to load.

If your not use to VA's, you might want to slow your puffin' cadence down a bit.

All in all this tobacco is true quality. It is in my top 5 favorite list. A Quality tobacco!

Henry B Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry B (11)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

As for the mere technical description of the taste of this blend, I would say, it's a mildly spiced Virginia roll cake with a light topping. The overall taste reminds me of hay, wood and leather.

This tobacco has puzzled me for some time, because I love its taste and aroma, but never got full satisfaction from it when giving it my full attention and smoking it in a big pipe. It's darker taste may have misled my subconscience for years and maybe made me think, that it is a full English blend for the mature pipe smoker. But this is not really a strong tobacco and it is not really a complex blend either. However it does taste like it may be (in a way). The tin says something about a Cavendish spun into the middle of the coins, so that might be it.

So what I did first, is to smoke only small bowls of Dark Twist while moving around the house, doing this and that. I think, this has helped me to lessen my expactations in a way and put me in a state of mind, where I can appreciate the nice taste of my pipe from time to time without the need to fully 'understand' it. I could really see me smoking this all day, and I do smoke it a lot when sitting in front of the computer. This may sound a little esoterical, but I do believe, that every pipe tobacco has a distinct personality and asks for a different way to be smoked.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

The tobacco comes in "coins" made from slicing twist tobacco. It appears to be very dark red Virginias wrapped around a center of dark cavendish. The tin smells of cinnamon toast and molasses, which I believe is a sweetener used in a number of MacBaren tobaccos which I like in moderation. As with most tobacco coins I roll each one between my finger tips to loosen the tobacco, make a dottle and add each successive rolled coin to fill the pipe. This is a tin I have had in the basement for over ten years, and the tobacco is perfect for smoking. The charring light produces a sharp, unpleasant acridity in the smoke followed by the smell and taste of burnt caramel. After a few puffs, the tobacco settles down to offer a uniquely sweetened Virginia taste. Although some MacBaren blends can bite me, this tobacco is smooth and sweet. This is not something I would smoke everyday, but it is distinctive enough with true tobacco flavor that I would smoke it once or twice a week. Well recommended. Paddy.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

As with their Roll Cake, MacBaren has beautifully prepared coins ~ the size of a quarter. I was surprised by the variation between the disks with some being loaded in the center with the dark Cavendish while others lacked it completely. However I just randomly folded them and loaded the bowls and no taste difference was noted. Even with this packing method it was easy to lite and keep lit. @ some sites a vanilla casing is mentioned but not on the tin and I didn't sense it. If you smoke slowly, you'll be rewarded by the great sweet taste and a smoke that seems to last forever. I normally smoke VA flakes but didn't sense any bite from this blend even as an all day smoke. Although not a true aromatic, the room aroma in the view of the family is much improved over some straight VAs amd VA/Periques that I smoke. Overall, one of my favorites from the House of MacBaren.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very high-quality tobacco. You open the tin, and you're greeted with the smell of figs with the SLIGHTEST hint of molasses. This should be your first clue that this will be a sweet smoke. In fact, I've had ten bowls of this already, and it is hands-down the sweetest virginia I've had yet.

The roll cakes are VERY easily rubbed into nice ribbons, and smoke best in a small pipe. If you smoke this even a little too fast, though, you're going to have some serious gurgle. I still haven't gotten this blend to smoke dry yet, but I just may have some dried out beforehand next time.

It packs well, smokes sweet and nutty, almost with a chocolatey undertone. For me the flavor improves as I near the bottom of the bowl. (The flavors are certainly more intense, anyway.) This is one of my all-time favorite tobaccos.

Mitrich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitrich (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very good tobacco. Taste soft and thus strong. It is a little sweet, little bit acute. If to direct a smoke on the tongue, the taste is pleasantly sour. By one word, the tobacco completely corresponds to all qualities declared by manufacturer. Tobacco burns rather slowly. Usually I smoke my pipes for 20 - 30 minutes, but with "Dark Twist" I smoke my pipes for 30 - 50 minutes depending on a pipe and filling. The tobacco smokes easily. Because of its cut the tobacco saves humidity for a very long time. I smoked 50g pack longer than month and the tobacco, appears, has not dried up at all. Therefore "Dark Twist" is convenient for durable trips - it is not necessary to support humidity. The minus of tobacco - it smokes too wet.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In this Mac Baren tobacco I must say that I have found a go-to mixture for the evening.

With dark brown, and black swirls in the nickel sized disks, this tobacco is pleasing to the eye.

The tin aroma is delicious, the sweet tangyness of the Virginia tobaccos being blended with spiced Cavendish.

The tobacco loads well either rubbed out or as whole coins. My particular tin was not as wet as most Mac Baren blends, so lighting was a breeze.

As I am for the most part a Virginia smoker, low and slow comes natural for me. It is a must with all Mac Baren blends and Dark Twist is no exception. When you do get that low smolder going, the flavours are exquisite. Even the dedicated English smoker would enjoy this as an occasional aside.

Highly Recommened

JoeBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JoeBriar (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A darker nuttier version of Roll Cake. All the better for it. Rub out well & smoke in a big bowl as this tobacco changes from woodsy to peppery to nutty (toasted cashews). May be worth letting it dry for 10 minutes before smoking otherwise it can be a bit wet. Full of flavour & good for anytime of the day.

canopener Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canopener (5)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This instantly became one of my favorites from the first bowl. It is naturally sweet with a little boost from an outside casing. Burns clean with a slight gurgle if smoked too fast. The cavendish comes out here and there throughout a bowl...but certainly does not take the spotlight away from the Virginias. This is a great tobacco for both aromatic lovers and Virginia lovers.

linuxconf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
linuxconf (11)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Another winner by Mac Barren. This is a twist cake that comes in the tin is small disks. The first thing that I noticed when opening the tin was the strong smell of molasses. I generally notice this when the virginia has had time to age and bring out its surgars. Rubbing out the disks was easy, and yielded a ribbon type of cut. The disks can be put right into the bow as is for outdoor smoking. This mixture lights well and I immediately noticed the cavendish. Fortunately that gave way early to the VA. This is definately air-cured, as it leaves a slight dry feeling to the back of my throat. I am an inhaler, and I do not notice much nictine, but I am very resistant to nicotine. All in all I would recomend this to the longtime VA lover or to someone switching from cased/aromatic tobaccos. It does have a plesant room note, that I believe others will enjoy.

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (15)

Mac Baren's Dark Twist Roll Cake is a beautifully presented pipe tobacco that delivers plenty of flavor. DrumsAndBeer's review below says most of what I was going to say (ready to smoke, bites if you puff too hard and can be smoked with more less Cavendish for variety). What I would add is that the flavor is unlike that of any other tobacco I have tried (sort of like a cross between a VaPer and an aromatic) and that it is quite economical if purchased in bulk.

I find that, after I smoke DTRC for a while, I grow somewhat tired of it. But there is something about it (the cute little discs? the unique taste?) that always draws me back to it.

If you like sweet tobaccos, I recommend you give it a try.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased

Purchased From: JR Cigar

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (59)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Mac Baren Dark Twist Made in Demark imported by Sutliff Tobacco Co. 2013

Select Virginian with Original Mac Baren Black Cavendish Spun into a whole leaf Virginian

Tin Notes: Eye Pleasing spun cut little coins with an aroma of rich matured tobacco The coins are easy to rub out as they have near perfect moisture content

Smoking: A slightly sweet, somewhat tangy virginian, smooth tobacco flavor. This tobacco smoked very well in every pipe that i tried it in with an Easy to light consistent burn. Not to sound negative about this selection but the flavors might not be quite as robust of a flavor profile that you would think in comparison to the aroma you get from the tin.

Even though this tobacco can fully be enjoyed straight out of a fresh pooped tin - i think that it may be better with age So when you buy some of this tobacco i would suggest getting an extra amount for storage

A Good Value for the price !

My 5 star rating= 4

Pipe Used: pipestone, corn and briar

Purchased From: sutliff

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A tin of this was gifted to me by DesertPipe of smokersforums.co.uk Many thanks.

I am not a big fan of Mac Baren tobacco, but really wanted to try this as it was recommended to me. I found the VA's to be of high quality, offering a sweetness of grass and fig. The DFK adds a bit of an overwhelming element to the twist, quite tangy and does flavor well with the VA, but in this particular blend, is just a bit too strong against the delicate sweetness of the VA. The Dark Fired (I would not call that cavendish) is a burley tobacco, and it is this burley that causes the tongue discomfort. I detected no bite from the VA (the two really do offer two distinct types of discomfort of the palate) probably because I felt the burley soon after the char light and slowed the smoke down to tolerable levels which kept the abundance of VA from reaching the point of discomfort so common in Mac Baren VA's. The dark fired, while not as prevalent in content, clearly dominated or at least drove the flavor of the smoke more than it should have. Far be it from me to offer advice to a blender, but I'd like to see the Kentucky content drop by at least half. I think it would smoke easier with fewer mouth/tongue issues.

Still I would consider this an enjoyable smoke, flavorful but not multi dimensional. The VA component is the real achievement IMHO. The casing is simple and again, IMO, does not qualify this as an aromatic as it is not top coated, as far as I can tell, but does have a maple casing prior to the twisting. Most pipe tobacco has some casing in this way, and MacBaren chose the use of maple sugar mixed with water, and furthermore, was good enough to describe this process to some degree.

I'm giving this 2 stars only because I think the amount of DFK should be reduced (though that may be a personal preference entirely). The tobacco has probably earned 3 stars due to the superiority of the VA's and the simple process used to make the twist. If you like a VA/B and you really like DFK, this may be your tobacco. I do love the flavor, but it does leave my tongue a bit raw, even with controlled smoking.

Pipe Used: Ashton

Age When Smoked: 1 yr

Purchased From: gifted by DesertPipe

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this very pleasing indeed and it was a pleasure to break in a new Peterson Dracula with ! It gave a delightful thick smoke which had a very nice mild and traditional flavor with hints of my beloved Cavendish to it and absolutely no bite to it either ! It is my first time with this one but I will get it again as it is very nice indeed !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (15)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is another Mac Baren disappointment for me. I like their lineup and I know this one is one of their more highly regarded offerings, but it just doesn't do it for me. The first third of the bowl tends to bit the tongue, the second third gurgles and the last is just blah. I am ticked off that I invested in 3.5 oz of this stuff, as I have no real desire to finish the tin. For an aromatic, it does have some body, but other than that, this is totally forgettable for me.

Age When Smoked: >1 yr