The first of our Aromatic Latakia Series, a classic North American style of black Cavendish and Virginia aromatic, but with the added richness of Latakia. Initially, the concept seems a little odd; Latakia is something you associate with English/Oriental/Balkan blends, sweet and sticky aromatics are the last place you would expect to find this smoke-cured Cypriot leaf.

Latakia is a very smooth and cool burning tobacco; it has lots of flavour and is low in nicotine. The cool and smooth qualities really enhance the often hot aromatics by slowing down the burn rate and cooling the smoke. The sweetness from the casings and toppings give the Latakia a smoky flavour and a sweet and fragrant backdrop.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Contents Black Cavendish, Latakia, Virginia
Flavoring Cocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
CutMixture
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Dangerously (pocketwise) moreish. A beautiful smoke yet when Glynn first mentioned it I was dubious, vanilla not being a part of my taste palette. (Reminiscent of an ex-girlfriend's foul and evil smelling cigarettes) This Baccy isn't like those items one bit, sure there was vanilla but it was Belgian Chocolate vanilla. The Lat came thru' and shocked my tongue, amazingly this whole blend works, it shouldn't. Smoky tobacco, chocolate and vanilla, sounds wrong, like caviar, pancake and fondue cheese (which also works, if you are hungry enough) Congrats on this Glynn, bloody marvellous work.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: GQT

ScannerDarkly7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ScannerDarkly7 (6)

An interesting concept of blending an aromatic with latakia. The latakia keeps this a wonderfully cool smoke, and for me is at the front of the tobaccos. Does a strong taste of latakia work well with chocolate vanilla? I think so, it's perfectly balanced. The chocolate is more of a spicy chocolate, namely because of the latakia, and the vanilla is a constant flavour throughout -- it doesn't burn off leaving you with cheap tobacco half way through the bowl like many aros.

The flavourings are uniform from the start of the bowl to finish, and this burns without any bite down to a fine ash. I had recently moved away from aromatics due to "aroma deception", disappointment, hot burning, and bite onto latakia-heavy English blends. This is a great blend to either rekindle an English smokers taste for aromatics again, or as a brilliant insight into gorogeous latakias found in English and oriental blends for dedicated aromatic smokers.

Highly recommended. After one bowl, I'm always tempted to have another.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman corn cob

Purchased From: http://www.gqtobaccos.com/

Fubber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fubber (13)

The more of GQ's blends that I try the more respect I have for this masterful blender. Glynn is a true craftsman. His inventiveness in marrying latakia with chocolate and vanilla is nothing short of genius. Cool, creamy, insanely good.

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi bespoke

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos-Chocolate and Vanilla (Aromatic Latakia). I had no idea at all what to expect from this, an aromatic Latakia... eh?! Considering also that I have recently put myself off Latakia by smoking it neat, like a dork, I have been procrastinating quite a bit with trying this one but I felt ready again to have a run with Lat' !! When I opened the bag and took my first smell I have to admit I was impressed. It doesn't smell like what you expect from a Latakia, the overpowering smokiness is all but non-existent, instead there is a wonderful sweet cake/fondant note in it's place. We have a mix that is impeccable with it's moisture so it is ready to smoke right out of the pouch. The taste from the smoke is very inimitable. Firstly it isn't what you would expect from a Latakia blend, yes the Latakia is the most headstrong of all three of the tobaccos but it but I don't get the massive smash in the face of smokiness usually associated with Lat' blends, I get more of a smokey embellishment. Of the aromatic components I find the chocolate to be the most formidable of them. The vanilla is noticeable however the chocolate seems twice as strong. Aromatic Latakia is definitely not a biter, even when I give it some stress bite still passes me by. Nicotine is quite an amenable strength, it satisfies yet doesn't blow my brains out! I noticed that as the bowl burns the smokiness of the Latakia subsides a fair bit allowing the aromatics to take more room in the flavour. I said at the beginning how I have been procrastinating with trying this one but after a few bowls I don't think I will put off having a bowl of this in future! Four stars.

Pipe Used: Devorin Denovic Morta

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (21)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I like this. In fact I think this is even tastier than my beloved Bob's Chocolate Flake. The GQ tobacco blends really are a revelation, uniformly excellent. I'm going to start thinking of GQ as my own personal blender, bloody lovely stuff. It's unusual in that it is an aromatic with a lot of the nuances of English blends thanks to the inclusion of Latakia. I like it. I like it a lot.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Shell Briar

Purchased From: GQ TOBACCO

Similar Blends: Bob's chocolate Flake.