A majestic combination of Toasted Cavendish enhanced with premium Burley's and Virginias that provides zesty flavor, enchanting aroma and an unsurpassed smoke.

BrandLane Limited
Blended ByLane Limited
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Oystercracker1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oystercracker1 (1)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Well, like all tobaccos taste is in the tongue of the beholder. I love this stuff. Smooth as can be, mild for an all-day smoke, smells good enough to eat. Even my anti-smoking friends love the aroma. I find it easy to light, keep lit and to enjoy. Nothing more can be said - I love it and will continue to buy it as my go-to tobacco.

Pipe Used: Boswell, Comoys, Moretti, Stanwell, etc

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

LZ639 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LZ639 (7)

Why Lane Ltd temporarily discontinued this blend is mind boggling. Nice, mild smoke with a caramel flavor that burns well, doesn't bite and leaves a pleasant room note. Richer than 1-Q, this is in my opinion Lane's best aromatic blend.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: 53

Purchased From: Just For Him

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

As with aromatics in general, the flavoring(s) overpower the tobaccos in the blend...That's not to say that this is in any way an unpleasant smoke...it's just not an interesting smoke...For an all day, pay me no mind smoke, it could be better; it could be worse...one thing in its favor, I found that it's not too wet and requires minimal to no drying time.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 58

Rated Percentage = 97%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, nice Flavor, good all day smoke

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

Packs easily, burns well, doesn't bite, doesn't go bitter on me, and most importantly has a nice, mellow, albeit somewhat generic, tobacco taste intermingled with the taste and aroma of its casing that brings marshmellows, grahm crackers, and maybe coconut or banana to mind. It is sweet, but in the way a vanilla wafer is sweet, not the way maple sysrup is sweet.

This is an aromatic, so I've judged it against other aromatics. I wouldn't recomend it at all to someone who abstains from anything but natural tobacco, but to anyone who likes aromatics or wants to try one, it comes highly recomended from me because it outperforms nearly all the other aromtics I've tried.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)

this is a mild blend with notes of vanilla and sweet chocolate. the casing is moderate to heavy on this one. taste wise it is a creamy/nutty smoke. takes fire well after few attempts of the regular charring and lighting, but thereafter it is smooth with minimal dottles left in the heel. the room note is acceptable. nothing super about this blend but for the regular aromatics smoker who is looking for something sweet and buttey it worth the try. kinda remind me of altadis black and gold in its buttery taste but this one is a bit more sweeter.

atomzero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomzero (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

After a few bowls, I find this stuff pretty enjoyable. The room note is fantastic, reminding me of s'mores above all. I pick up the flavor noticeably from time-to-time, as it mingles with the room note. It's a pretty cool, productive smoke if you treat it right. I consider it a good "party smoke."

If you dislike aromatics, don't bother. If you want a mellow smoke that will please your company, this is for you.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)

Sold by the name "Pipe Dream" at my local baccy shop, I had to sneak a peak at the rubber tubs stacked against the wall to discover it's true identity. This is not a tobacco that immediately grabs your attention, but for a bulk it's smooth with some flavor and pleasant. I truly enjoy this tobacco.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If you enjoy bulk aromatic tobaccos, you'll probably like this one. Although a tad mild for my taste, it consistently tastes good and you'll get no complaints regarding the aroma it leaves in a room. Not a great deal of tobacco flavor here, but the caramel flavoring is a nice touch. Not particularly bitey, you could smoke it all day.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have been smoking LL-7 regularly for years now. It is an aromatic that burns cleanly and that I never seem to tire of... my basic, morning, comfort smoke in a big pipe that I can enjoy over several cups of coffee.

A mild, inexpensive, well-balanced natural aromatic blend.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've been led by the reviews here to assume LL-7 takes home the Blue Ribbon for Cavendish tobaccos. That may be true, I've sampled only a handful of such blends in the course of my pipe smoking career. It's certainly the best of the bunch that I've blown through--and that includes such hit or misses as Nat Sherman 509, Lane's other contender 1Q, and Captain Black White.

I've noticed while reading reviews for most "controversial" blends, that the greatest concern from die hard fans seems to be their intolerance for dissent. "Don't review an English if you hate Latakia" it is said. Or "Tell people your taste preferences before you review." Those are noble thoughts, of course, voiced to shoot for some degree of fairness in the review. Then again, do I have to say what I like and dislike before every single review? Doesn't seem very practical, on second thought. For those who believe that only fans of a certain artifact are entitled to voice an opinion, I say the input you receive will be unbalanced and skewed toward your mindset. Yes, your precious rating may see-saw, but do not worry. Those who buy tobaccos only for the number of stars probably aren't worth lumping into your fan base.

With that said, I will say LL-7 excels in the Cavendish group because it burns cool, provides a generous allotment of that classic "Cavendish" flavor without being goopy, has a nice thin ribbon cut for an even burn, and a price point to please the masses. Why do I dislike this? It's not a knock on Lane, but the style of blend. Cavendish tobaccos' intrinsic flavor tastes artificial, and the kick never exceeds anything beyond slightly greater than mild. That's an opinion.

Which is why I must ask myself, why do I still seek these blends out? As many have said before, the room note is spectator-friendly. But smoking this just to smoke when around others has its drawbacks. If a person finds their eyes wandering in the direction of my pipe, I'd rather not bother with the ensuing conversation.

For my last consideration, LL-7 has replaced MacBaren's Vanilla Cream in the aforementioned rotation category. That's right. I'm a hypocrite.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I've never been a big fan of Captain Black (at least the white version) because of it's goopiness and overly sweet taste. LL-7 is a close relative, but with the sweetness and goopiness both toned down. I smoked this sample in an XL Boswell, a Duncan Hill Aerosphere (a yard pipe, but a good smoke, especially for aromatics), and a Gatlin-Burlier 1/4 bent apple. The pack and lighting were only fair, par for the course for many aromatics. The blend also required more than the average amount of relights.

The flavor of this one was surprisingly good for me. It started out with a toasted caramel type taste for the first 2/3 of the bowl, then faded slightly to a burley/Virginia sweet nuttiness. I found myself wanting another bowl after finishing one, something that is easy to do with this all-day smoke. It burned down to a dark ash with no dottle, except in my Boswell, which is bored a little high in the bowl. That's not the fault of the tobacco.

Price is the thing that makes this tobacco stand out in a rather crowded pack (vanilla aromatics). There are some great buys to be had on the internet. I found it at LilBrownShack (http://www.lilbrown.com) for $14.40 a lb. I don't buy my tobacco on price alone, but it is a consideration, especially for someone like a college student on a budget. The aroma will help attract the co-eds to him, too.

Now the ratings: flavor-14 out of 20. Lighting and burn-5 of 10. Price-10 of 10. Overall score-29 of 40. LL-7 gets three stars from me. Give it a try, it might surprise you.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Don't get me wrong. For a sweet aromatic, this is one of the better ones. It is more coarse cut, burning slower and allowing more tobacco taste to come through. It is not too wet or over flavored either. I would compare this to a premium version of Captain Black. Many reviewers say that about Lane's RLP6, but I think the opposite. (Read my review on RLP6 if you wish).

The one thing that kept this review from being better is that the taste seems very common to me. It reminds me of some of the drug store blend tastes that take me back to the amateur days. Sure, this is a better tobacco, but I'm not exactly searching for a premium version of Captain Black. After all, a high end Hyundai is still a Hyundai - a good vehicle for the money but still a Hyundai, not a Lexus.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)

This is a good example of wise use of burley for aromatics. A cool smoking blend with a enough casing for aroma without being too cloying. Smokeable to the end of the bowl, which is a rarity for most tobaccos of this type. It never turns harsh or sour. The room note is pleasant and makes the smoking more enjoyable. Highly Recommended.

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The blend is comprised of stringy light and dark ribbons which makes it very easy to load into a pipe using the Frank Method. The moisture content seems about right. The tobacco itself smells somewhat reminiscent of raisins or maybe molasses.

It lights easily and seldom requires relighting. Taste-wise, it has somewhat of a light caramel cavendish flavor. It is not bitey on the tongue at all. I find that the flavor tends to build up in my mouth as I progress through the bowl leaving a pleasant aftertaste. As you progress through the bowlfull more of a natural tobacco flavor begins overtaking the aromatic flavor. It burns pretty cool compared to most Virginias and doesn't require much in the way of smoking techinque. My wife likes the aroma and said it reminds here somewhat of vanilla but she really can't liken it to anything in particular.

This is a pretty pleasant tobacco to smoke. I like both the flavor and aroma. After smoking it for a few weeks, I decided that I like it enough to order more of it. Usually I smoke Virginias or English blends, but this one seems to accompany the others very well without being drastically different. In the morning, or when I'm in the mood for a lighter smoke than the typical latiaka bombs or don't have time to carefully puff on a Virginia then I usually go for a bowlfull of this.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)

This tobacco has become a new favorite for in-the-house smokes. It offers a pleasing room note, but LL-7 has a quality tobacco taste. There is never a bite from this mellow blend which I appreciate when the palate gets a little tender after more aggressive blends have had their way with the roof of my mouth. This blend is like the strong man who knows his strength and demonstrates it with skill and reserve.

For those who would like to smoke a really good aromatic with the pleasant room note of a Captain Black but want no cloying sweetness or overpowering topping, just quality tobacco taste with a hint of casing, you owe it to yourself to give this fine blend a try.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Lane has created a great blend with this one. Burley and VA smokers will truly enjoy this one. Real tobacco taste here and at a very reasonable price. While this is not a complex flavored blend it is full of flavor and has a great aroma. After 2 ounces it has been easy to pack and stays lit and burns even to the bottom leaving no dottle.

A winner here for Lane and for those wanting a reasonibly priced bulk baccy.

Poorfornow Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poorfornow (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I have purchased this particular blend from three sources. The first was in Houston at Croft's; excellent shop, marvelous tobacco. I then bought a pound from an old shop in Lake Charles, La. The stuff was not the same! Turns out, it was a bit wet from their humidor and had to be dried out. Whew! The same LL7 after that. My daughter bought me the third pound in Lafayette,La. Perfect amount of moisture, just like Crofts'. Now to the tobacco; there are only two things detrimental about this blend. The name and the fact that it leaves no cake buildup in the bowl. Yes, you heard me right, no cake buildup. I smoke it in a few of my older pipes that have a properly trimmed cake and they need NO MAINTENANCE! Okay, they do need cleaning with a paper towel and a pipe cleaner every few bowls, but I don't need to worry about cake buildup. I just LOVE this blend. If Lane stops making it, I guess I'll have to move on to another tobacco. That is the only way LL7 won't be on the top of my choices for a mild, pleasant, satisfying smoke.

scootpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootpipe (9)

No kidding..........WOW!!! This tobacco is a really good aromatic that still taste somewhat like tobacco. I can puff like no one has ever puffed and it will not bite me back for doing so. It produces a wonder full smoke (great for those fun smoke rings) and taste really good. Even better it doesn't hurt my pocketbook.

My local tobacconist couldn't come up with a clever name for this great tobacco. He & she (husband and wife) labeled it simply LL-7

LL-7 gets my seven stars. Try it, you'll like it!

Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

WOW!!! I just found out that one of my favorite bulk blends that I buy from my local tobacconist is actually made by Lane and sold under a different name. I would have reviewed this blend long ago if I had bothered to ask what this really was instead of "Irish Puff"! I can see why they changed the name though (who in the world calls their blend LL-7?). Anyway, this may be the best bulk aromatic tobaccos ever. It is one of the only aromatics I smoke regularly, period. This tobacco is completely bite free, and will not fatigue the tongue. Certainly not complex, it is very tasty and has some actual tobacco taste as well. I know most of the pipe snobs will turn their nose up before they even try this, but they should try it none-the-less. This is much better than 1-Q will ever be and I wonder how many other reviewers have smoked this under a different name and don't know it- especially since this is the first review written about what may be Lane's best tobacco! Try it- at this price you have nothing to lose!

sheboyganjohn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sheboyganjohn (5)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Received as part of the customer appreciation pack from P&G. Smelled very good in the pack. Taste was sort of hit or miss when I was smoking it. Was sitting outside a hotel smoking when some other smokers and non smokers came out and commented on how good it smelled. One asked if it was captain black, so it might have a similar room note. Overall I find the blend o.k. I will smoke out the sample, but will not order more.

Fellow traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fellow traveler (64)

Update 6/04/10: Can't stand it anymore, just to sweet and smells like a strong potpourri. Guess my tastes are changing.

Pouch: Moist, smell of chocolate and vanilla. Contains mostly cavendish with some virginia and some burly.

Flame: Burns well, medium body, smooth, no harshness. No tongue bite. Taste of chocolate, vanilla when the cavendish lights. Nice initial tingle which goes away quickly.

Nose: Smooth, creamy steamy chocó vanilla. Smells like the bag. Nice easy to like flavor. Like 1Q but chocolate not vanilla, bit more body and flavor.

Down Bowl: Stays somewhat dry, no bitterness. Flavor uniform as bowl progresses, mild N, no bite, slight nose tingle, no mouth tingle at all.

Aftertaste: Smooth chocolate, little tobacco taste, no bitterness, slight tingle in mouth. Flavor in nose is chocolate.

Conclusion: Mild strength, mild moist smoke, tasty but not like tobacco, nose smell is chocolate and pleasant. Try PS Nougat if you want more tobacco taste. LL-7 is a tasty morning treat with ice coffee flavored with cream liquor. Nice in hot weather.

Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

If you like Lane's aromatics, this might make a nice addition to your repertoire. It is very moist, sweet, and smells lovely. Makes a nice potpourri too. I store this sort of think in my handkerchief drawer. None of Lane's blends hold my interest for long. But some folks love them, and for what they are they aren't bad.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

One of life's great mysteries to me is why the same people who rave about this blend also dislike Lane's 1-Q. To me, if you let 1-Q dry out for a day, what you'd get is very similar to this. They both have the same saturated sweetness.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Extremely Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Flavorless incense for 75% of the bowl, then a trace of sweet cavendish-burley taste. Smoke it for chicks. Ah-roma.

Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

If you are a Capt. Black consumer this may be great. If on the other hand, you are used to tobacco steer clear. Wet, sticky, highly flavored, no nicotene...the perfect blend for those who want to quit smoking. It does smell pretty good though.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Based on the positive reviews on ASP and here, I decided to give this a try. I loaded my Don Carlos from the jar at my local B&M. The pouch aroma was typical of a cheap aromatic. It was slightly wet with what I believe to be PG or some other humectant. The flavor was so disgusting I dumped the bowl before I finished. The bottom of the bowl was soaking wet. It's been almost a week and my pipe still stinks and is only beginning to dry out. LL-7 is tied with Firedance Flake for the worst tobacco I've ever smoked. If this was the only pipe tobacco available, I would never smoke again. I might have to sell my poor Don Carlos. What was I thinking?