Fire-cured Cavendish tobaccos discreetly flavored to produce an extremely mild, slow burning cool smoke.

BrandLane Limited

3.4
Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Everyone at some point needs to try this out. Named different all over the country, ( Tinder Box calls it Midnight )I know this because I ordered it. I worked for TB for 15 yrs, it's a very light tobacco, that for me burns to a clean light gray ash, good as any English blend. It does have a light flavor, that reminds me of roasted marshmallows and a wonderful aroma. When you talk about the vanilla family this is where it all started in bulk tobacco's. I don't smoke aromatics a lot but I do get a sweet tooth from time to time. When I do this is one of the tobaccos I choose to puff on along with RLP-6 which is another blend from Lane! After 30+ yrs of pipe smoking I still enjoy this tobacco, and am always amazed how clean and dry it smokes for me and leaves that soft gray ash at the bottom! Well done Lane! It's still the same as it always has been through the years. As another company has said about their tobaccos, often imitated, never duplicated! That sums it up pretty well I hope you give this a try you won't be disappointed! PS UPDATE: 6/23/2013 It's funny that over the years being in the business that if you have a different name on a blend they'll swear it's not the same. For instance I give you the following for examples: These are Lane tobaccos and their cross to Tinder Box names 1Q= Wilshire......RLP-6= Chartwell....BCA= Midnight and Peter Stokkebye Nougat= North Sea, Peter Stokkebye Cherry= TB Anniversary and finally PS Black Vanilla= Captain Spice. This information is a fact as I said before I know because I ordered it for 15+ yrs. As for the Stokkebye Nougat, years ago after TB Peter had stopped in to visit with us, I was now working for a one shop B @ M and asked Peter, who at the time made about 85% of the TB blends. North Sea, Anniversary and Captain Spice were the one's that I selected. I asked him what the blends were so we could add them to our line of house blends. He said North Sea was PS #24 Nougat. Some companies just call it Nougat and drop the blend #. As for Anniversary it= PS Cherry, and last was PS Black Vanilla= Captain Spice. This was during the time when everyone thought their shop blended all their tobaccos. In reality very few shops blended their own tobaccos, maybe a handful in the entire U.S A. actually blended anything that was on their bar. The point I'm getting at is I could put Cheerio's in a private label cereal box and some people would say that it's close but not the same. Now I've been out of the business for awhile, I've heard that TB changed to Altadis for some of there blends. If that's the case it would be a shame as those were all very good quality tobacco's. So anyway rock on with your tobaccos and enjoy ( what ever the name is )happy puffing!

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

7/04 - I cannot believe I have not reviewed BCA before today. I smoked this black Cav., heck, I guess for two or three years regularly when I first got into this money sucking hobby.

Can't add much to what has been said above. Mild, sweet, not too cloying and the leaf has been stewed to the point where it simply can't bite.

If you are new to pipe smoking and enjoy Vanilla/Licorice flavored air; well then, here you go... If you are a veteran pipe smoker who wants to spice up your life with some sweetness, well then, here you go.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Strong

Among aromatics BCA is most definitely superior-- the moisture content of the tobacco i used for this review was just about right --it refused to be crushed together as a sticky mass as some aromatics do-the pouch aroma was quite pleasant, although not overpowering--

it lit easily, and burned to a very small dottle with only one relight--there was just a trace of moisture at the bottom of the bowl--

i enjoy an aro frequently although i could never make a steady diet of them, but this one would come close to a full time smoke if necessary--i use BCA mostly for a mixer to enhance other blends that seem to lack something --

i later followed the advice of several on this review site and mixed BCA and 1-Q in equal parts--my oh my!!--that was nice--why has it taken me all these years to discover that one??

if you are looking for a non goopy, non overpowering, utilitarian aromatic then let me direct your attention to BCA--my only word of caution is to make sure that you receive Lane Limited's BCA, and not some pretender-- Lane's is the only Black Cavendish i have found that isn't wet and covered with PG--

Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I don't know why it took me so long to review this blend. It is sold under the moniker "Black Gold" at the Beans and Briar tobaccanist that I frequent some times. Indeed it's worth its weight in gold. I know I have raved about other tobaccos, but this one is the best "all dayer" that I have ever smoked. There are other tobaccos that I would pick over it, and I rarely ever yearn for it. The reason I smoke so much of it is because it is quite simply the smoothest smoke out there. YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS BITE!!!!! Captain Cool and other aromatics that are indeed very cool smoking, nonetheless do not stand up to this blend. The aroma and taste are a higher quality, but still typical, black cav vanilla. The nicotene content is mild at best. People love the room note, and the price is a bargain. This is what I reach for when I am in doubt and don't know what to smoke, but know I won't be able to focus on the experience. This is to aromatics, what Frog Morton is to Latakia. That is- a way to get your craving taken care of, while puffing away like mad! By the way- you could cut the smoke in the air with a butter knife! Creamy to say the least.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The first few puffs always seemed a little harsh and toasty to me, but it settles down rather quickly into a mellow chocolate and vanilla flavor that wears well the rest of the way down. The whiskey is sweet and not a major player by any means. the tobacco taste is light as it's sublimated by the toppings, but it does account for the toastiness. Has very little nicotine. I never got tongue bite from this one. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool and clean with a very smooth, consistent flavor. Requires few relights and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. Has a nice after taste and room note. Sold at various places under the same or similar name.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

There’s a reason why Skand/Lane sells so much of this aromatic. It is a tasty, very sweet black Vanilla Cavendish. Beyond the vanilla, there are some other flavors there too that I can’t put my finger on. I don’t taste the whiskey. BCA needs quite a bit of dry time in order to get the best out of it. For the most part, BCA doesn’t give off a lot of chemical flavor that some mass produced aromatics often give off until the latter part of the bowl. At that point it does start to show itself. I tend to prefer aromatics that are made with Burley, Virginia and brown Cavendish or a combination thereof. Given the choice of BCA or 1-Q, I prefer 1-Q to BCA. But if you are a fan of straight black Cavendish, than this should be on your must try list.

The old Black Cavendish Aromatic (BCA)! Who hasn't at least tried a bowl of this? This is one of my "go to" aromatics when I just can't take another VaPer or English. It's a light, tasty smoke that doesn't overwhelm me with flavor and isn't too hard to keep lit. Yes, it's a gooey aromatic and smokes wet. A smoker should really have a separate pipe for this - a moisture absorbing meerschaum would be ideal.

I've smoked several other sweet black cavendish tobaccos and none hold a candle to this, the original. I smoke about 4 oz of this a year and it's very good at what it does. Nice room aroma, light pleasant taste and easy to smoke. Definitely something for any smoker to try.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have spent the last week trying mostly VA's, VaPers and English Blends to review. While I really enjoy these blends, every now and then I like a nice aromatic to wake up my mouth and give me a burst of flavor. I received a little bag of Lane BCA as a sample and thought why not, I need something different. So, I took out the bag and in the pouch, upon opening was the most pleasant smelling, Vanilla, Licorice like aroma in a very dark black cavendish. Rough cut flake, and somewhat moist but I expected that. I loaded it in a Falcon so I would not have a moisture problem and after an easy pack, I lit it up and sat back to relax with it. My first reaction was Wow! What a great taste and the aroma! How many tobaccos have the room note and taste that match up and for the smoker? It also tasted like the pouch aroma. So, as I was carefully sipping this smooth, creamy, tasteful tobacco, expecting the usual steam and bite that most tobaccos of this type are, I just felt a coolness on my tongue. So, I got a little more aggressive and smoked it into a smokey inferno. Yet, no hotness in the smoke at all. This has to be the coolest aromatic on the market. No tongue bite at all, none! So I thought about all the complaints I have heard and read about aromatics being hot smokers and well...those people have never tried this blend. It's cooler than PA, which I love a lot with my morning coffee.

So, for anybody that wants to try a really cool aromatic, new smokers, or those that are looking for a change of pace or a great after dinner desert tobacco, I highly recommend this blend. I liked it so much after another bowl, I ordered several pounds to cellar to have on hand when I feel like a good aromatic. It's that good. I have been smoking a pipe for 39 years, I can't believe I have never tried this one.

peterpiper111 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peterpiper111 (7)
Strong Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I tried this out along with lane 1q. I have to say, BCA wins hands down.

Rich and full bodied, tastes similar to Captain black royal blend, but so much better. This is essentially a dark tobacco, which I love for the flavoring.

I lit this up and the aroma put me in a trance, the world would be a better place if everyone smoked a little BCA.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classic cased aromatic. It smokes well, tastes pleasant, and smells very nice indeed. I find it also leaves the bowl of my pipe fairly dry.

I don't smoke this too often, but for a mild, sweet, change of pace it isn't bad. A lot of fellow pipesters use it as a blender to pep up more drab blends.

If you are worried about the moisture, and lingering aroma, just smoke this in a cob, meer, or clay.

It has been the standard for Black Cavendish aromatics in the U.S. for a long time...

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Ahhh BCA. This is it when I think of Black Cavendish. Not my favorite ever as McClellands VBC has tons and tons more flavor with less PG. But VBC adds caramel and butterscotch, this blend BCA is all about vanilla . Very cool smoking, like an ice cube and gets better as you go down the bowl. I mix mine, 4 ounces of BCA to 4 ounces of 1-Q which tames the golden Cavendish and gives the BCA flavor. Let sit for 90 days, Nirvana

Pipe Used: cobs

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Squirrel850 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Squirrel850 (2)

I tried BCA for the fist time today based on other reviews recommendations. Ever since picking up the pipe, 1Q has been my main tobacco, however I think it's lofty position has been toppled. I love BCA. It has a very pleasant aroma in the bag, sweet. Some commenters said that their batch was sticky, I did not find it sticky or wet at all. Upon lighting, toasted marshmallows. Plenty of rich smoke. It burned well all the way to the bottom without gurgle. No goop left in the bowl either as others complained about too. I guess I got a good batch. I will be getting more of this as I only picked up only 1oz to sample.

Purchased From: Cigars of Tally, Tallahassee FL

Lane Limited - BCA.

Over the past few weeks I've concluded this should be added to my rotation!

I was expecting it to be soaking wet, I always look on the dark side where aromatics are concerned, but this was great. In colour the blend appears exceedingly dark: black.

When I had my first puff of this I loved it, and nothing's changed there! BCA gives large clouds of smoke, burns very steady, cool, and couldn't bite if its life depended on it! The flavour is brilliant: mainly a sweet chocolate and vanilla Cavendish. I get a subtle sharpness from what I presume to be the alcohol/liqueur/whiskey, but this isn't in the league of the others.

The room-note's a winner, and the nicotine's mild.

A four star aromatic:

Highly recommended.

Age When Smoked: A few weeks

Purchased From: 4noggins

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (23)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Usually I don't smoke this by itself. I like to use it sparingly added to blends I feel burn a little too hot or could benefit from some sweetness. It lights easy enough and seems to stay that way. 1st 3rd of the bowl is not all that pleasing to me. Not too much flavor mostly hot air with creamy smoke. 2nd 3rd of the bowl is much better. Still the creamy smoke but now accompanied by a nice enough flavor of chocolate and caramel. That flavor ends quickly and turns to the classic captain black burnt cardboard taste. Final 3rd of the bowl is pretty much all hot air and burnt paper/cardboard. Leaves a nice white ash. Leaves my pipes a little damper than other blends.

To sum up. Not really anything I would smoke alone. Used as a mixer with other blends you could do worse.

Pipe Used: Various (briars)

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 6

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Very Mild, Smooth, Mellow, good Flavor but a little After Taste. McClelland's VBC is much better.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (62)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had a couple bowls of this at the West Coast Pipe Show and then ordered two ounces of it later.

It's a wonderful Black Cavendish blend with a nice topping of vanilla and whiskey.

The casing is pretty dominant on it and can get a bit goopy on the fingers loading the pipe but it's not overwhelming in the smoke.

Even though there's definitely a lot of casing on the blend it takes a light fairly well and still burns nice.

The flavors come through wonderfully in the taste and it leaves a very pleasant room note as well. Since it's strictly a Black Cavendish blend it will smoke longer than typical Va/Burley or Va/Cavendish blends so, you definitely want to set aside a bit more time to enjoy it. Overall it's a good blend that I'd highly reccommend to aromatic smokers.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I read alot of reviews on here about Lane's BCA, and since I'm usually a big fan of Lane's tobaccos, I thought I'd give it a try. Got an ounce at my local B&M, and fired it up in the parking lot. Didn't exactly blow my skirt up It was a nice enough smoke, but I didn't get anything special out of it particularly. Then I came back here and read some more reviews and saw that many of my fellow pipe smokers were mixing it with "Codger Burley" and enjoying it more. I had some H&H left over, so last night a mixed up a bowlful, and WOW!! What a nice surprise! Before the H&H had been just okay,and the BCA was way too light to smoke by itself, but blended 50/50 it's a delight!

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (92)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

What is there to say about this tobacco that hasn't already been said previously? It's smooth, even burning, and smells great. I started with this blend when I picked up a pipe about 10 years ago. The local tobacconist called it "Midnight Magic". I liked it because it was so mild and smelled really good. I still keep 3 or 4 ounces around (actually in a leather pipe bag) and smoke some around this time of year. It brings back a lot of good memories.

All in all, it isn't a bad smoke. It will gunk up a pipe a little once in a while, and it can burn pretty damn hot if smoked too fast. It can also have that slight ammonia taste to it if smoked too hot like many PG-loaded tobaccos have. If proper technique is used, however, aromatic smokers will enjoy it. I would recommend this to anyone who is just starting out with pipe smoking, as well as to anyone looking for a very mild tobacco with a barely noticeable nic hit.

Pipe Used: Grabow, Savinelli, Cobs

Age When Smoked: Aged 3-6 months

Purchased From: Blue Ridge Smoke and Vapor, Wytheville, VA

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As an equal opportunity smoker (aromatics, English, just about anything I can get my hands on) I really enjoy this for a mild aromatic. Lane 1Q gets so much press, but I really think this is a nice quiet sleeper in their line up. I can puff away at this at night for hours and it just gets better. Yes, its a bit moist. So what? Dry it out for Pete's sake! This one definitely gets the wife seal of approval as well, so I keep it in the rotation so I can get away with smoking some of the stronger, more pungent baccy every now and then. If you are new to pipe smoking, try this. If you're a salty old dog and turned your nose up at this before, give it a shot. Nice before bed with a red wine or a cup of hot tea.

Lower Alabama Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lower Alabama Piper (8)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is the mildest smoking tobacco that I have found. The room note is excellent. The flavor to me is not a whole lot. This is highly recommended for someone who is just being introduced to pipe smoking. My impression is if you can't smoke this, you just need to lay the pipe down. Absolutely no tongue bite and burns very cool in a cob pipe.

Pipe Used: Missouri meerschaum Country Gentleman

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Tom Bombadill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Bombadill (102)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

This blend is another classic it I wish I tried sooner. All black, sticky-sweet Cavendish blends are standards and Lane does a fine job with BCA. This is a major-league SWEET aromatic. The blend is sticky but not goopy. A rich vanilla liquor aroma greeted me when I opened the tin. The blend was smokable right out of the tin but it did benefit from drying. I let it dry just through opening and closing the tin with use. It didn't require having to be aired out on a plate for a while like several Macbaren aromatics I enjoy. Fired up, the blend tasted like sweet vanilla with the classic "burnt nut" or something like that of the Cavendish. The tabicky burned to a fine white ash and I had no problem with ghosting of my bowl or tongue bite. An excellent all black Cavendish and a delight and a go-to blend when you want an SWEET aromatic that delivers...VANILLA!

Pipe Used: Peterson, Grabow, Kaywoodie,

Age When Smoked: fresh from the store

Purchased From: Smoking pipes, Pipes and Cigars, etc...

Similar Blends: Many great vanilla, all black Cavendish blends.

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I wanted a quick smoke so I had Crapgame Jr run upstairs and find me a small pipe and a tobacco for me to smoke outside before my daughter got off the bus. Well here he comes with Lane BCA and a MM Pony Express Cob. Well the short smoke on the porch turned into three smokes and 2 cups of hot chocolate before I had to retrieve my princess from the bus and another one of each after she came home.

The tobacco was dark and rich and needed just a few minutes drying before packing and lighting. Once flame and tobacco met I closed my eyes and enjoyed the sweet taste and aroma of a very pleasant chocolate/vanilla tobacco. The flavor was sweet but it did not burn like many aromatics do. The flavor stayed with me the whole way to the end never changing,never getting harsh and the aftertaste complimented my hot choco quite well.This could easily be an all day smoke for those that are fans of aromatics that will not bite no matter how fast you smoke your pipe. A very nice aromatic for when the mood for something sweet comes to visit! 4 stars

Pipe Used: MM Pony express cob

Age When Smoked: well over a year old

Jwr.nps Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jwr.nps (6)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the backbone of the Lane flavor-very clearly. This is not a complex or dynamic tobacco, rather the contrary, it is a soloist that is normally heard with a full orchestra (1Q, HGL, RLP-6) and you finally get to to hear them play on their own-simply stunning. Burns perfectly albeit not billows of smoke but a nice steady stream. I chugged in it and couldn't get it to bite and I am very sinsitive to bite (my mouth blisters just looking at a tin of anything from MacBarens).

I smoked this with friends who are cigar smokers and usually stay far away when I am smoking my Latakia English blends, this one they loved. I even smelt it as I was leaving their house in the yard 10 minutes later and lingering aroma was amazing.

This would bore me as an all day smoker (been loving Lane Black & Burley as my daily lately which is apparently BWTB & BCA) but used as a blender (some white Burley and a touch of Latakia-hello!!) or as a desert treat, I can see it being in my regular rotation.

Pipe Used: Peterson bent bulldog

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (101)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

BCA is a very good aromatic. Jet black cavendish that has been pleasing pipers for many moons. The flavor is soft and semi-Sweet without any possibility of a bite. The room note is like warm brownies, fresh from the oven. A really good tobacco to keep on hand. I like to mix X-40 Burley with this. I call the blend New Moon. It's very good.

Pipe Used: Ashton

Age When Smoked: Few weeks.

Purchased From: TB

Similar Blends: .

Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (30)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

There many black cav's on the market,but if you want the best BCA is the only choice IMHO.This is the most relaxing Aro around,and it's been around a long long time. Want a real conversation with your pipe?, pack it with BCA,it will never interrupt,always eager to please like any friend .Taste is as near to pure pleasure as you can get,vanilla,Carmel maybe a bit of chocolate.mild nic. hit if any. Top to bottom it's the same, year after year it is still the same. If Lane Limited made one blend and only one, if it where BCA they be in business for the next hundred years..... Then try the new Dark Red,just the same only dark cherries, Both are addicting enjoy.

Pipe Used: All briars

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)

While shopping for a new pipe (ended up getting a used estate Tilshead while there) I packed a bowl of this dark stuff and it sure made shopping fun!

I'm always on the lookout for a better vanilla and this one fell someplace in the middle. It uses the approach many others seem to use by employing mostly black cavendish, giving you that sweet brown sugar aroma which I like.

The odor and smoke had a nice balance, nothing too overpowering, and the light vanilla sugar was always present to the very end.

For the cost, it is a great vanilla buy, but nothing I would stock up on and want to smoke on a consistent basis.

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (52)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My first taste was of sweet vanilla in a very smooth smoke. I smoked it in a small-medium BBB Dublin. The tobacco was moist to the touch coming out of bulk and I smoked it that way with no air time, but I do recommend some air time for BCA. The smoke is light to medium in richness and is low in nicotine. It was purchased with the intent to blend it with other stronger tobaccos, but it is a very good aromatic by itself. Not much complexity here, just smooth vanilla aromatic smoke. It smokes cool with no bite. And, in spite of my not giving it any air time, it smokes dry.

Pipe Used: small-medium BBB Dublin briar

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: National Electronics (local store)

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (20)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This blend lives up to it's description: the black cavendish burns slowly, is very mild, and has a pleasant aroma. I did not get the vanilla or liquor taste. I feel that this is better smoked as a blending tobacco than straight -- just not my cup of tea. Lane BCA needs very few re-lights and produces a lot of thick, white smoke that makes the overall experience visually pleasant.

I recommend using this as a blending tobacco.

Pipe Used: Corncob

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (106)

Stopped into JR'S for coffee and a tobacco reload. On sale in bulk was you guessed it. At 1.99 an ounce I bought 22 ounces. This is a blend I love to smoke, mix, and store. Always smokes clean. Is cheap. Plays well with others. I mix this and 1Q 50/50 and jar it. Smoke stright or mixed it is a winner. Learn to pack well and it will not bite or burn fast. Solid 2 hour smoke!

Pipe Used: yellow bole chesterfield

Age When Smoked: Bulk direct from store

Purchased From: JR'S Cigar Outlet

jcygan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jcygan (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a cool, fairly dry, pleasant aromatic. If you are in the mood for a sweet dessert of a smoke, give this one a try. It is simple and consistent. The vanilla flavor is strong enough but not ridiculous like with some. It stays fairly consistent from top to bottom of the bowl. The flavor and room note are both sweet vanilla and pleasing. I have to be in the right mood for this. But, when I am in the mood for a sweet one, this is my go-to.

cwallace134 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cwallace134 (2)
Extremely Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I've been smoking this blend for years and it's my go-to black Cavendish aromatic. Whenever I'm going to be around non-smokers, I smoke this and almost always get compliments, sometimes delivered in low undertones by the family members who have assorted convictions against smoking in general. The wife loves it. Strangers in the park love it. I love it. It's smooth and easy smoking, with absolutely no bite. Give it a try.

Ham Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ham (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Lloyd Christmas said it best.. "suck me sideways!" I've been looking for a tobacco that I could actually say I really, really liked. I've been to my local tobacconist.. I've tried different bulk blends.. Even 1-Q and RLP6! I was shocked to learn that BCA has been around for so long. It's terrific. The taste I get on the back of the tongue is a hint of dark chocolate. But it's so subtle. My pipe even smells great days later after sitting from smoking this. It does leave some moisture in the bottom and as some have mentioned.. Let it air out a little prior to lighting. It's smooth. A nice smoke. However RLP-6 still wins for me but this is nice!

Pipe Used: My handmade Poker Setter

Age When Smoked: You bet

Purchased From: My dealer

tzcczt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tzcczt (8)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark, black and sweet. The flavor isn't too strong, but you can tell it's there. If you're smoking around someone, they'll appreciate the room note. I've heard it's sold often under other names by brick and mortar stores, but I picked mine up online. It has a sweet smell, maybe a hint of raisin?

As far as smoking, it's damp to wet and will likely need some relights. You'll expect that once you smell it. Overall I'd say it smokes well. Retrohaling is smooth and pleasant.

Overall, it's cheap, tastes good, and smells good; hard to ask for much more from a tobacco. I'll throw it in a travel pouch if I'm going away for the weekend. It's a good smoke, and if it dries out I'm not out much.

Pipe Used: Briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the store

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

There's not much i can add to the other reviews... the flavors, scents, and other goodness in there all comes out as described. It's burns cool and smooth and has a delightful sweetness to it. Its weakness (no surprise) is the lack of body to this blend. While an exceptional aromatic, it leaves me wanting a little something extra.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

this is an updated review. I have had a good bit of this in a ziplock bag for over a year. I smoke it regularly. My b and m went out of buisness and the gave me probably half a pound.

It is a fantastic smoke when your in the mood for something sweet. Delicious vanilla flavor, without the artificial chemicael like flavor many aromatics have. This isnt the typical house blend that smells great and then taste like hot air. It has a lot of flavor, and you know you are smoking a tobacco.

It burns really cool, but does get a little goopy and messy. Worth it though in my book because it is probably one of the most flavorful aromatics out there. I like to taste my tobacco not just smell it.

Reccomended to anyone who has a bit of a sweet tooth. I am an english smoker primarily and I can reccommend this to english lovers as well. DO NOT pass it up because it is a lane blend or a simple black cavendish. It is really good.

By the Way, your B and M probably has this and just calls it something else. So if you see a bulk black cavendish at your tobacconist give it a try because it is probably this one!

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (16)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I used to smoke this in my early days before I knew how to smoke and pack a pipe correctly. I have been enjoying this in my Aromatic meers for months now. Once I learned to pack it,and most aromatics, loosly, it has opened up a new dimension for me.I smoke this in my car on the way to work and home and usually in the evenings. Extremely tasty and creamy. It even tastes good DGTeed for a day and for weeks. I smoke all catagories of tobacco and BCA and PA are my go to blends for laid back non-critical enjoyment. Fantastic in a briar or cob and really exceptional in a meer. If you pack it loose you won't get that soap taste many complain about & I used to taste when I packed with a heavy hand. This is the blend for sweetness and a great tobacco taste. Many use this for blending but I love it just as it is. Excellent for a beginner and great for the veteran smokers. This along with Black Cordial and Butternut Burley are my aromatics standbys. Particularly great during the Christmas Season which I am currently enjoying now.

Update 8/31/2014 I've been blending this with I-Q experimentally (Funn Dictionary) in different degrees with Funntastic results. I started out with 50/50 then started tweaking it with enough I-Q for burning purposes but to retain the BCA smell. My tobacconist mentioned to me the newest version of BCA seems to be of a much better quality and seems to be the same as the packaged Capt Black Dark. No complaints here either way...

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The best vanilla black cavendish on the earth. This tobacco burns cool and will not bite. If you like capt. black you'll love this!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This stuff was much better than I thought it would be! Mild yet flavorful, with good body. You'ld be hard pressed to do better in a Black Cavendish. High availability, low price, stock up! Whether everyday or change of pace, you won't be disappointed. I like it!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a good blend from Lane. Although it smells and looks as though it would be a goopy aromatic. For me that is not the case. It burns very slow and clean. has a great room note. I rarely smoke it straight. I mostly use it for a mixer. I add 1/3 to a good English with a good amount of Latakia. Something like Proper English. I really enjoy the combo. It has been my all day for some time now. The BCA adds to the room note. In a positive way. My wife likes it. She hates the smell of straight English or Balkan blends,which I love smoking. This is an easy compromise. BCA smokes just fine by itself. First class black cav. Surprisingly clean burning.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

One of this smokers all time favorite aromatics. Smokes, cool never any bite, an all day smoke. Sweet but not cloying so, vanilla yes, but in some moderation, a complex of flavors really seem to come together in this blend to produce a near nirvana smoking experience. Wonderful aroma for those around the smoker, but more importantly a truly rich and flavorful experience for the smoker. Herman Lane really left pipe smokes a wonderful legacy and BCA is no small part it. It is tragic to see how the current entity controlling Lane seems to be squandering this rich history, I pray that BCA survives Lanes current (mis)management!

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As an English/Balkan hound, I'm not into aromatics at all, so there are only two on the planet that I smoke. This is one of them, even though it's only once a month or so. BCA is just dependable. Easy to smoke, tasty, relaxing, contemplative, this is the one I choose on those rare occasions when a big in-your-face Balkan just won't cut it. Makes me feel good and the room note pleases.

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

BCA is like comfort food. Simple, satisfying, consistant. It is my all-day smoke. Good socially, Good in Private. Good with SWMBO.

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)

This was one I started out with a long time ago and never get tired of. I have a few dedicated pipes that I smoke aromatics in and this one I smoke in my meerschaum. It is cool, mild, not too sweet and is great during the summertime. I only smoke my pipe when I get off work with coffee or on the weekends but this would be an excellent all-day smoke. There are a lot of black Cavendish pipe tobaccos out there and I like quite a few of them but this one ranks at or near the top. I have also used this to blend with cherry pipe tobacco to cut down on the bite. This kind of reminds me of Captain Black without the Captain if that makes sense.

Pipe Used: Meershaum

UncleSquinty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleSquinty (26)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

It should be simple, right? A single tobacco component - black cavendish - and a little topping? Yet, not all black cavendish aromatics appear to be created equally. Is it the whole Green River thing?

I bought a pound of this without ever having tried it, not from a B&M, nor masquerading under someone else's trademark. I knew I'd have use for some natural sweet black cavendish at some point, and I've been on an aero alchemy kick of late, playing with home blending, combining Latakia with familiar aeros, like that.

What I didn't expect was the bite free, cool burning, consistent, sweet, simple smoke that Lane BCA provides when smoked on its own. I jarred up half the pound, threw a random handful carelessly into my aromatic "pensioner's jar, I mixed a bit into some random English crap in another jar.... so cheap, so good.... and now I have a sweeter English that's worth smoking, some great dessert smoking and who knows/ Sorry H.L. Lane, no insult. This tobacco is a treat and fun to play with for home blending. BTW, the English crap I referred to is the painful BS-005.... I give this a solid 4 stars. Delicious, cool burning, bite free, good pipe comportment when smoked on its own, fabulous as a blending tobacco.

Pipe Used: Medium bowl cobb

Age When Smoked: Fresh bulk

Purchased From: Online

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark (same same, but CBD has way more PG).

BJBurn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BJBurn (5)

Well, I saw all the 4 star reviews and have been hoping to find a mild, low nicotine, aromatic. So this got my attention. I bought 8 ounces to fill a tobacco jar I got for Christmas. The first smoke, on an empty stomach, I got a little headache and decided to quit after smoking half a bowl. But, ..the smoke was pleasant, no bite, burns well, nice aroma, lots of smoke, and could even blow smoke rings! I was hoping for a little more taste. I like the rum tobacco most of all. So I'll give this another go after dinner some night.

Pipe Used: 9mm Lorenzo Briar

Age When Smoked: just purchased

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Gene Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gene (3)

Lane BCA is a AVERAGE Blk. Cav. based on the RATINGS. It should be better. I would suggest that STG/Lane make a new blend and call ir BCA-XXXX or PREMIUM. Start out with premium aged leaf and flavoring, Aim for a 4 plus rating. Make it better then the current Black Cav. blends in the market. Pre Package it in 10 oz. tamper proof bags. The price if possible $ 34.00 or less. Every month I work this site to death hunting for a good black cav. I am in my mid 80's and I want to take a package or 2 with me in case they do not have any good tobacco at my final resting place.

Pilot Lon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilot Lon (16)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I can't do more than echo what everyone else has said. Wow! Just lovely, and I am just the newest fanboy of BCA. This is going to the top of my stash, I think. Received 3 more samples from P&C today, but wanted to try the BCA first, merely based on the many very favorable reviews. I certainly wasn't disappointed, and the others will have their work cut out for them to top this. Cool...no bite...wonderful clouds of smoke...not wet at all, and tamped in nicely. A couple of relights, but with some gentle puffing, it burned quite nicely all the way to the bottom of the bowl. This could certainly be an all-day smoke, and SWRTW (She who rules the world) will love it. Highly recommended, especially for the new pipe smoker. Old hands may be looking for a more intense tobacco taste, but I find this to be a terrific change of pace. There's a glass of tawny port just waiting to go with this at the end of the day!

Pipe Used: Aristocob Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Right out of the pouch upon receipt

runswithdogs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runswithdogs (17)
Very Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is in my top five aromatics, several of the others being Pipeworks and Wilke Blends (191, Rumcake, Gramercy, and Vermont Maple). I have always been partial to aromatics, and although I have been branching out more and more to older, aged tobaccos, I keep returning to this blend, and it feels like coming home! Fabulous room notes, sweet flavors, easy to smoke, and best enjoyed smoked very slowly, as all pipe tobaccos should be. Experienced pipe smokes already know what they enjoy, but if you are new to pipe smoking, or just want to try a delightful aromatic, this is the blend for you.

Pipe Used: Castello Apple, Billiard

Kantbegoing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kantbegoing (2)
Very Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

I tried lane limited 1-q first and loved it Smelled amazing out the tin, saw this had a better review so I had to try it. Have to say, very very pleased. Love it. Top choice so far. Frog mortens cellar is my worst. Just to give you an idea where I'm at if you've tried them. I'm an aromatic smoker so frog mortens cellar wasn't a good choice. It had descent reviews but not for me. If you love vanilla flavoring and smooth easy smoking with no drying I recommend this blend. So far all lane limited have been this great.

Pipe Used: Luca Vanetti

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Brick and mortar

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - 1-Q, Lane Limited - RLP-6.

DC MacBean Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DC MacBean (29)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have yet to find a better Black Cavendish Aromatic. There are notes of vanilla, caramel, and perhaps baked goods. The room note is pleasing to all but the most virulent non-smoker. Benefits from a little dry time. Burns cool does not bite. I would never want to be without a supply of Lane's BCA.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob, Briarwood, Pear wood, Cherry wood

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 1 year

Purchased From: Cup O' Joe's, Pipes&Cigars, West Virginia Smokeshop,

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

First I find this blend smokes best in a Meerschaum pipe. It smells fairly nice just won't jump out with aroma. I smell mostly chocolate. Lights a little rough as there seems to be a bit of moisture there. Room note is nice with chocolate and coffee smells. Taste is fairly subdued with swirls of chocolate, vanilla, and coffee from time to time. Burns really pretty cool for a aromatic. This is what I call a pleasing blend. It will not knock you down with flavor but it is certainly a pleasant smoke at any time of the day.

Pipe Used: Turkish Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Couple months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

roadkill0000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roadkill0000 (23)

Note to viewers: this review mainly so I can keep track of the tobacco I like.

For an aromatic I really like this one for its simple smooth vanilla flavor. not as smooth as chocolate cream, but simple, nice room note. would get again.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Extremely Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I'm more of a premium natural and light aromatic smoker but I finally got around to trying this and it definitely has merit for an inexpensive black cavendish. It has the typical moist character of Green River black cavendish and from what I read it's supposed to be dark fired cured leaf. Well, it's so processed I can't detect much in smokiness but there is a slite extra character in it's overall flavor/aroma profile that may be accounted for from the fire curing. Sutliff's B20 Black Cavendish has a more noticeable smoky note by comparison. It's flavor is typical for this sort of tobacco, slight marshmallow sweetness but it's aroma is rather unique and outstanding. One of the aspects I like about this tobacco is it doesn't have a prominate note of vanilla which I hate in tobacco and if it's in there it's so far in the background as not to annoy me. The aroma is sweet with prominent fruit and a lesser caramel note. The caramel note sans vanilla is what I think I enjoy most of all. I'm a bit baffled as to what the fruit may be. I can't quite nail it down. I though at first some kind of cherry but no. I keep coming back to blueberry. Blueberry, caramel dark fired cavendish? Well, whatever it is, this one works as attested by time and popularity. I likely will buy it again.

PAP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PAP (1)

I first started smoking BCA back in the70's , found it to be a nice mellow smoke still smoke it today and enjoy it just a much

Pipe Used: DR grabow , Vauen, GBD

Age When Smoked: 63

Purchased From: Williams totally tobacco in N.J.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Decent, but nothing special.

Kept going out on me. I dried this out for a while and still felt very damp. Worried this was a PG-fest.

Nice smoke, very mild and not ooomph at all. Nice aroma.

About as middle of the road as you can get in terms of tobacco. Perfect for starters.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

i think this tobacco has changed. It doesn't smoke as cool as past reiterations (2008) i have cellard. I can't put my finger on it, but it tasted a bit perfumed, and burns warm.

Age When Smoked: 53

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

An aromatic 4 star blend. Great burning qualities, always one match till the end, high grade tobacco and flavoring, well balanced. I´m used to stronger stuff (although in aromatincs mildness is something to thank for), but still I crave for this one more often than not. Not for small bowls, though.

Pipe Used: Bjarné freehand, Chacom club, et al.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (67)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm on the search for the tastiest Vanilla/Cavendish combo. If this isn't it, it's pretty close. A very mild, tasty smoke. Excellent Vanilla flavor. I give this one a 4.

Pipe Used: Costello Sea Rock

spaug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spaug (1)

Very nice black cavendish. I love the aroma that this puts off. The test is nice as well. It does need to dry out a little bit as it can be a little wet but drys pretty quick. Please try this if you haven't yet! You will enjoy it

Pipe Used: Briar and a cob

Purchased From: Local B&M

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (82)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not much to say, that hasn't already been said. This replaced Captain Black in my rotation. Great flavor, great room note, NO bite. My favorite vanilla

Pipe Used: peterson standard system

Age When Smoked: 6 mo

Purchased From: pipes and cigars.com

Similar Blends: Captain Black.

williammarsh0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
williammarsh0 (1)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very pleasant tobacco. I receive compliments about the aroma regularly. Light enough to smoke all day, first aromatic I tried and I continue to return to it.

mtitus83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mtitus83 (10)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Just recently getting into pipe smoking this is one of the first ones that I "just got it" and really understood what I personally was looking for in a tobacco. This is a great tasting tobacco with what I currently consider a full body and great flavor, on top of that it smells just as good! I bought this on a whim ready to be disappointed since it was an impulse buy but this is one to keep around. Highly recommend if your looking for something that compliments taste and price.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow Omega (Briar)

Age When Smoked: 1 Week out of package

Purchased From: California Tobacco; California, MD, USA

Similar Blends: Dream Castle Tobacco Company - Super Value Buttered Rum.

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (28)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Mild, Mild, Mild. Very cool, cooler than an English. Sweet, vanilla rum flavor. How can you not like this If you like sweet aromatics ? This has been a best seller for a reason, this and 1q !

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (12)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

I easily smoked a pound of this leaf in the first years I took up the pipe. Cool burning, with notes of coffee and vanilla. This blend is a crowd-pleaser, but don't expect any real tobacco flavor. As far as sweet black cavendish tobacco goes, this is the best.

That being said, once you venture out into other blends, it's hard to come back to BCA. The flavor is very one-dimensional.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Not bad. BCA arrives rather moist but it dries easily enough and it isn’t super sweet or overly flavored. However, I don’t typically smoke this straight. I use it specifically for blending and at times for taming tobacco blends that have a tendency to bite. By itself, it’s a rather dull affair, but as a mixer it shines and it has a magical cooling quality to it. I like to blend it with Carter Hall.

Besides the price, the best thing about BCA is that it’s relatively devoid of some of the strange off-flavors that I pick-up in a number of straight black Cavendish's. For my purposes, I’d recommended it; as a straight smoke, one star less.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (108)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco surprised me. As I've stated before, I'm not a big fan of aromatics, I've found so few with any taste over the years, but this one is special. BCA has such a broad range of smells and tastes—berries, nuts, marshmellos, rum (whiskey is claimed, but it tastes more like rum to me), really sweet tastes, and remarkably complex. Of course, I can't think of a blend with more additives than this one, and it will goop up your pipe; but, even so, for me, it's the perfect smoke for when I want to switch gears. I find this blend particularly delightful on a warm summer night. The room note is actually noticeable for once, even outside, and it's a great scent. I've given this blend its own pipe, an old Leonessa Capri, a "beater," and, since I only smoke it every once in awhile, the pipe stays relatively clean. So, in summation, BCA is a great smoke, for what it is—a sweet Black Cavendish. I'll be searching for other Black Cavs in the future, but I will always keep some BCA on hand. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Leonessa Capri

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: local shop

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (25)

I just got some of this in an order from wvsmokeshop.com (highly recommend them!) and at first I thought it was exactly the same as Captain Black black. But it is a little better and I recommend this to mix with any burley OTC or by itself, not too much by itself.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I like BCA. It certainly is not a tobacco that will get you super excited, or will make you stop and contemplate the intricacies of its being, but its nice

First this stuff is goopy. Really goopy. Like my fingers feel like I have maple syrup on them after packing a bowl of this goopy. Secondly this stuff is apologetically cased. I can only imagine the recipe, 1 part tobacco, to 15 parts sludgy stuff. In the end it has a welcoming taste, a comforting aroma, and a surprisingly easy burn. This tobacco is probably the base tobacco of 90% of all those small b&m "house blends". You know the ones, they are lined up in nice looking jars and smell like heaven, but are the equivalent to putting Elmers glue in your pipe.

Overall this stuff is not too bad, it is not too good either. Give it a shot, if nothing else it is a well known staple of the pipe smoking world.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (86)

My B&M sells two types of the Lane Offering. One is the BCA and the other is simply labeled Black Cavendish. I looked at the actual multi-pound bags, and they do indeed have two different names. I've tried them both, and there is a difference. The BCA has the milder flavor of the two. The Black Cavendish blend is well over the top though. I actually like the stronger blend more. The BCA is too mild for my taste buds. I do like them both, but IMHO the stronger one has more to offer in both flavor and room note.

As a side note, I mixed this with some Prince Albert and imho, it's a pretty good poor man's version of Captain Black Royal, and a whole lot cheaper too...

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

BCA.. Where I go for a mild all day Cavendish. Nothing special but when a mild, tasty and bite free, outdoor all day smoke is called for, Lane tobaccos like this one, IMO are hard to beat.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Very nice aroma from the jar. When smoked has a very pleasant room note, produces huge clouds of fragrant smoke, does not bite, but does not have much flavor either. Make sure you let it dry out on a plate for at least a half-a-day if you do not want to go through a box of matches keeping it lit. If you enjoy a bland, almost flavorless smoke that smells wonderfully good, this is for you.

On the other hand, it makes a great blending tobacco. Blend one-third Lane BCA with two-thirds Lane 1Q, and let it air dry out on a plate for 24 hours. Makes a delighful aromatic smoke. In the world of aromatics, you will not find a better blend than Lane 1Q+BCA, IMHO.

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have nothing negative to say about this tobacco except that I don't have enough of it in my cellar.

A very nice mild smoke with great taste and it leaves a very pleasant aroma in my truck.

To me, that's what matters.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite blends. Toasty black Cavendish? Oh yes! I do not know if it was the fire-curing, but this blend is everything I could want for in an aromatic. It smells a lot better once lit, and the lingering aroma is very welcome in my house. If you can master the art of keeping it lit, the rest is just an enjoyable ride. Highly recommended.

Note: I have bought some of this (probably an impersonator) from a shop that was really finely ground up like coffee. I do not recommend this as it dried out really quick and was very easy to suck through the stem. Look for some that is more coarsely constructed.

Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the finest American black Cavendish and the best blend ever created by lane limited, smoke it as it is or use it for blending, this tobacco works in every single way. Definitely it is the best of its class.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)

This is one of my top picks after twenty years of pleasant puffing.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

9/1/07 I recently have gotten back into smoking pipes and find that this has a very pleasing room note(my wife loves the aroma) and to me a very nice taste to it. Like many here, I have tried others but always seem to go back to this blend. It is very easy to keep lit and I have never had any tongue bite, even puffing way too quickly on it.

1/17/08 I have to reduce this down to 3 stars because I seem to be getting the aromatic gurgling more and more with this blend. Plus, my pipes are getting too much gunk in and on them. Still a good tobacco, but I'll definitely be trying something else. Experimenting can be a good thing.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (123)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I do not smoke straight black cavs, but I do use them to blend with other tobaccos in a never-ending search for the perfect vanilla aromatic which is smooth, flavorful, and complex... and just because trying to make your own ideal blend is fun!

I have tried many black cavs and I prefer BCA over the vast majority of other such tobaks. It burns cool, less goopy than I anticipated, and it stays lit quite well. It is a tasty vanilla and provides a solid base with which to begin your mixology.

This is really a pleasant blending tobacco, and I recommend it for that purpose.

Oldman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldman (5)

This blend is just a delicious treat for me. I always keep some handy. Never bites, stays lit very well and burns cleanly and never leaves a damp residue. I mostly smoke burleys like MB's Navy Flake but this aromatic really hits the spot. Smoke some every day!

I absolutely never have to re-light this tobacco unless I have put my pipe down for a while. Lane has a winner in this one.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (180)

Maybe I got a bad batch, but BCA bit my tongue hard. I found this smoke very hot and quite bitter. I was pleased with the room aroma but that will surely not bring me back. Based on the reviews here, I tried this in several kind of pipes and got the same result each time.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (33)

BCA or Bobs Blend is a good smoke. It has a good roomnote as well as taste. Its a very dark leaf and has a nice chocolate aroma to it. A very good after dinner tobacco. Its also a good mixer as well, I mixed this with Cornell and Diehl "Autumn Evening". It was a perfect mix. Highly recommended! MZMN 12-22-04

InTheBiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
InTheBiz (4)

Lane BCA, or Black Cavendish Aromatic, is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked nearly 30 years ago, and it's still my absolute favorite! It always provides a cool, smooth smoking experience in virtually any pipe. Vanilla flavor, but not too overwhelming, with hints of licorice and chocolate.

I had the chance to visit the Lane factory in Tucker, Georgia a few years ago and learned that Herman Lane developed this tobacco in the early 1970's using only Green River tobacco of the one sucker variety. Several farmers in Kentucky grow this strain of leaf and Lane buys all of it. Other tobacco companies try to imitate BCA, but to no avail. The base tobacco is one the secrets to its unique flavor and burning qualities.

If you get a wet dottle smoking this blend, than I believe it's your technique rather than the tobacco. Try packing it a little on the loose side. It won't bite even if you have to puff more frequently.

Overall, BCA is a classic. No bite, great flavor and aroma, incredibly smooth. A solid 10 out of 10!

I give this four stars for what it is....An American Aromatic, heavy on the vanilla, fairly light on the nicotine and a great beginner tobacco. If you are tired of the overpriced pouch tobaccos, this can be had at most tobacconists in bulk. It may not be called BCA where you shop, but it is most likely in one of the bulk containers. It also tastes more like real tobacco than the pouches that the discount and cigarrette vendors stock. Just don't put this type of tobacco in an expensive pipe! Happy puffing!

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In my quest to find a nice aromatic, once again, I have been pleasantly surprised to find this one. I am normally a Balkan/English smoker but sometimes like to smoke an aromatic from time to time.

Appearance: Black Cavendish, medium to fine ribbon cut.

Aroma: Vanilla, some type of Berry too.

Packing: A breeze, it is moist though, I let mine air out 20 mins. or so.

Lighting: Surprisingly easy, two matches max.

Initial Flavor: Vanilla, Fruity

Mid-Bowl: The casing mellows, nice medium cavendish flavor comes out (you either love or hate cavendish).

Bottom of Bowl: Not much more build up of flavor, ash is suprisingly dry.

Overall: this is a nice aromatic, very easy to smoke, wonderful room note, no tongue-bite. I will recommend to aromatic fans, but remember to dedicate a pipe to this blend because the flavor stays in the pipe for a long time. I prefer to smoke this slowly, I find it ends drier and DGT seems to bring a little more flavor out of the leaf.

Rating: 4 out of 5 poiints in the aromatic category. Enjoy...