Notes: vanilla and chocolate

3.2
Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Everyone at some point needs to try this out. Named different all over the country, ( Tinder Box calls it Midnight )I know this because I ordered it. I worked for TB for 15 yrs, it's a very light tobacco, that for me burns to a clean light gray ash, good as any English blend. It does have a light flavor, that reminds me of roasted marshmallows and a wonderful aroma. When you talk about the vanilla family this is where it all started in bulk tobacco's. I don't smoke aromatics a lot but I do get a sweet tooth from time to time. When I do this is one of the tobaccos I choose to puff on along with RLP-6 which is another blend from Lane! After 30+ yrs of pipe smoking I still enjoy this tobacco, and am always amazed how clean and dry it smokes for me and leaves that soft gray ash at the bottom! Well done Lane! It's still the same as it always has been through the years. As another company has said about their tobaccos, often imitated, never duplicated! That sums it up pretty well I hope you give this a try you won't be disappointed! PS UPDATE: 6/23/2013 It's funny that over the years being in the business that if you have a different name on a blend they'll swear it's not the same. For instance I give you the following for examples: These are Lane tobaccos and their cross to Tinder Box names 1Q= Wilshire......RLP-6= Chartwell....BCA= Midnight and Peter Stokkebye Nougat= North Sea, Peter Stokkebye Cherry= TB Anniversary and finally PS Black Vanilla= Captain Spice. This information is a fact as I said before I know because I ordered it for 15+ yrs. As for the Stokkebye Nougat, years ago after TB Peter had stopped in to visit with us, I was now working for a one shop B @ M and asked Peter, who at the time made about 85% of the TB blends. North Sea, Anniversary and Captain Spice were the one's that I selected. I asked him what the blends were so we could add them to our line of house blends. He said North Sea was PS #24 Nougat. Some companies just call it Nougat and drop the blend #. As for Anniversary it= PS Cherry, and last was PS Black Vanilla= Captain Spice. This was during the time when everyone thought their shop blended all their tobaccos. In reality very few shops blended their own tobaccos, maybe a handful in the entire U.S A. actually blended anything that was on their bar. The point I'm getting at is I could put Cheerio's in a private label cereal box and some people would say that it's close but not the same. Now I've been out of the business for awhile, I've heard that TB changed to Altadis for some of there blends. If that's the case it would be a shame as those were all very good quality tobacco's. So anyway rock on with your tobaccos and enjoy ( what ever the name is )happy puffing!

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

7/04 - I cannot believe I have not reviewed BCA before today. I smoked this black Cav., heck, I guess for two or three years regularly when I first got into this money sucking hobby.

Can't add much to what has been said above. Mild, sweet, not too cloying and the leaf has been stewed to the point where it simply can't bite.

If you are new to pipe smoking and enjoy Vanilla/Licorice flavored air; well then, here you go... If you are a veteran pipe smoker who wants to spice up your life with some sweetness, well then, here you go.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

There’s a reason why Skand/Lane sells so much of this aromatic. It is a tasty, very sweet black Vanilla Cavendish. Beyond the vanilla, there are some other flavors there too that I can’t put my finger on. I don’t taste the whiskey. BCA needs quite a bit of dry time in order to get the best out of it. For the most part, BCA doesn’t give off a lot of chemical flavor that some mass produced aromatics often give off until the latter part of the bowl. At that point it does start to show itself. I tend to prefer aromatics that are made with Burley, Virginia and brown Cavendish or a combination thereof. Given the choice of BCA or 1-Q, I prefer 1-Q to BCA. But if you are a fan of straight black Cavendish, than this should be on your must try list.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a classic cased aromatic. It smokes well, tastes pleasant, and smells very nice indeed. I find it also leaves the bowl of my pipe fairly dry.

I don't smoke this too often, but for a mild, sweet, change of pace it isn't bad. A lot of fellow pipesters use it as a blender to pep up more drab blends.

If you are worried about the moisture, and lingering aroma, just smoke this in a cob, meer, or clay.

It has been the standard for Black Cavendish aromatics in the U.S. for a long time...

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the better all black cavendish blends out there. It has a nice balance of nut & fruit fusion, unlike the typical vanilla & cherry all black blends out there. BCA is moist, but not wet and it will dry out if left to do so. It can be smoked by itself, or used as a blending tobacco. Best smoked in a smaller bowl to keep cool and burn as complete as possible.

Squirrel850 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Squirrel850 (2)

I tried BCA for the fist time today based on other reviews recommendations. Ever since picking up the pipe, 1Q has been my main tobacco, however I think it's lofty position has been toppled. I love BCA. It has a very pleasant aroma in the bag, sweet. Some commenters said that their batch was sticky, I did not find it sticky or wet at all. Upon lighting, toasted marshmallows. Plenty of rich smoke. It burned well all the way to the bottom without gurgle. No goop left in the bowl either as others complained about too. I guess I got a good batch. I will be getting more of this as I only picked up only 1oz to sample.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: Cigars of Tally, Tallahassee FL

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Strong

Among aromatics BCA is most definitely superior-- the moisture content of the tobacco i used for this review was just about right --it refused to be crushed together as a sticky mass as some aromatics do-the pouch aroma was quite pleasant, although not overpowering--

it lit easily, and burned to a very small dottle with only one relight--there was just a trace of moisture at the bottom of the bowl--

i enjoy an aro frequently although i could never make a steady diet of them, but this one would come close to a full time smoke if necessary--i use BCA mostly for a mixer to enhance other blends that seem to lack something --

i later followed the advice of several on this review site and mixed BCA and 1-Q in equal parts--my oh my!!--that was nice--why has it taken me all these years to discover that one??

if you are looking for a non goopy, non overpowering, utilitarian aromatic then let me direct your attention to BCA--my only word of caution is to make sure that you receive Lane Limited's BCA, and not some pretender-- Lane's is the only Black Cavendish i have found that isn't wet and covered with PG--

Very Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I have spent the last week trying mostly VA's, VaPers and English Blends to review. While I really enjoy these blends, every now and then I like a nice aromatic to wake up my mouth and give me a burst of flavor. I received a little bag of Lane BCA as a sample and thought why not, I need something different. So, I took out the bag and in the pouch, upon opening was the most pleasant smelling, Vanilla, Licorice like aroma in a very dark black cavendish. Rough cut flake, and somewhat moist but I expected that. I loaded it in a Falcon so I would not have a moisture problem and after an easy pack, I lit it up and sat back to relax with it. My first reaction was Wow! What a great taste and the aroma! How many tobaccos have the room note and taste that match up and for the smoker? It also tasted like the pouch aroma. So, as I was carefully sipping this smooth, creamy, tasteful tobacco, expecting the usual steam and bite that most tobaccos of this type are, I just felt a coolness on my tongue. So, I got a little more aggressive and smoked it into a smokey inferno. Yet, no hotness in the smoke at all. This has to be the coolest aromatic on the market. No tongue bite at all, none! So I thought about all the complaints I have heard and read about aromatics being hot smokers and well...those people have never tried this blend. It's cooler than PA, which I love a lot with my morning coffee.

So, for anybody that wants to try a really cool aromatic, new smokers, or those that are looking for a change of pace or a great after dinner desert tobacco, I highly recommend this blend. I liked it so much after another bowl, I ordered several pounds to cellar to have on hand when I feel like a good aromatic. It's that good. I have been smoking a pipe for 39 years, I can't believe I have never tried this one.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I don't know why it took me so long to review this blend. It is sold under the moniker "Black Gold" at the Beans and Briar tobaccanist that I frequent some times. Indeed it's worth its weight in gold. I know I have raved about other tobaccos, but this one is the best "all dayer" that I have ever smoked. There are other tobaccos that I would pick over it, and I rarely ever yearn for it. The reason I smoke so much of it is because it is quite simply the smoothest smoke out there. YOU CANNOT MAKE THIS BITE!!!!! Captain Cool and other aromatics that are indeed very cool smoking, nonetheless do not stand up to this blend. The aroma and taste are a higher quality, but still typical, black cav vanilla. The nicotene content is mild at best. People love the room note, and the price is a bargain. This is what I reach for when I am in doubt and don't know what to smoke, but know I won't be able to focus on the experience. This is to aromatics, what Frog Morton is to Latakia. That is- a way to get your craving taken care of, while puffing away like mad! By the way- you could cut the smoke in the air with a butter knife! Creamy to say the least.

mesacactus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mesacactus (21)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A premium Captain Black, is how I have heard this bulk blend by Lane called. If you have a favorit tobacconist, and he has a tobacco bar, chances are BCA is on it. You may not know it, but it will be there, just under a propriatary shop name. And I am willing to lay odds, that as long as you are not a a tobacco snob, who shuns aromatics, you have smoked this tobacco, and liked it. Very black in color, vanilla in flavor, and no matter how hard you try, you can not be bit by this tobacco. This must be the most cool smoke on the planet. My pipe almost feels fridged in my hand when I smoke this tobacco. Ok, that was an exaggeration, but even in my "hot" smoking pipes, all I get is a plesent warmth to my hand. When I am done with this tobacco, all that is left, is a nice gray/white ash, and a dry bowl. I know there are those who say this tobacco leaves the bottom of their bowl wet. All I can say to them, is work on how you smoke it, because it sure is not the tobacco.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The first few puffs always seemed a little harsh and toasty to me, but it settles down rather quickly into a mellow chocolate and vanilla flavor that wears well the rest of the way down. I never got tongue bite from this one, which is not always the case for blends in this genre. One of the better black cavendish mixtures around at a reasonable price.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (12)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Usually I don't smoke this by itself. I like to use it sparingly added to blends I feel burn a little too hot or could benefit from some sweetness. It lights easy enough and seems to stay that way. 1st 3rd of the bowl is not all that pleasing to me. Not too much flavor mostly hot air with creamy smoke. 2nd 3rd of the bowl is much better. Still the creamy smoke but now accompanied by a nice enough flavor of chocolate and caramel. That flavor ends quickly and turns to the classic captain black burnt cardboard taste. Final 3rd of the bowl is pretty much all hot air and burnt paper/cardboard. Leaves a nice white ash. Leaves my pipes a little damper than other blends.

To sum up. Not really anything I would smoke alone. Used as a mixer with other blends you could do worse.

Pipe Used: Various (briars)

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (75)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Ahhh BCA. This is it when I think of Black Cavendish. Not my favorite ever as McClellands VBC has tons and tons more flavor with less PG. But VBC adds caramel and butterscotch, this blend BCA is all about vanilla . Very cool smoking, like an ice cube and gets better as you go down the bowl. I mix mine, 4 ounces of BCA to 4 ounces of 1-Q which tames the golden Cavendish and gives the BCA flavor. Let sit for 90 days, Nirvana

Pipe Used: cobs

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)

If your wife burns incense and potpourri in the house and you like it, then both of you will love this blend. Whatever relationship it has to tobacco eludes me. I understand that is what English blend folks say about all aromatics. I love aromatics, but this is over the top. Pull some grass out of your backyard and pour a little (or a lot)of cheap perfume on it, count to 10 and smoke it. The fact is, however, that many people like that kind of stuff and if you are one of them - go for it. Even I can enjoy a bowl of this once in a while, say 2 or 3 times a year. Every day, I fear, would result in diabetes.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Very Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Smokes hot, difficult to light and keep lit, and lacking in flavor with a tendency to bite.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Like its brethern, this Black Cavendish is a good example of something that provides others with a great smelling treat, but leaves the smoker underwhelmed.

BCA is appealing to smell, both in the pouch and when being smoked. It burns fairly cool, but is too wet/gurgling for my tastes. I like more of a natural tobacco flavour and little of that somes through in this, as with nearly all aromatics. Taste is more of a wet chemical steam-which while not unpleasent isn't fulfilling either.

This is better than many of the aromatics I have smoked, however, so I will give it 2 stars based on that. Prince Albert (which I have also rated at 2) is a far superior tobacco, but my tastes lean toward a non-aromatic, so I am biased.

One thing worth mentioning is that this tobacco makes a great blender. For a tobacco whose room note is not overly appealing, you can use this (sparingly) to spice things up without interfering too heavily with taste. It goes best with Burleys and I've recently blended a 12 oz tub of Prince Albert with a 2 oz bag of this. I will provide an update on how this smokes once I've allowed the flavours to sit together for a while.

Update This makes an okay blender, but smoked alone, ick!

The old Black Cavendish Aromatic (BCA)! Who hasn't at least tried a bowl of this? This is one of my "go to" aromatics when I just can't take another VaPer or English. It's a light, tasty smoke that doesn't overwhelm me with flavor and isn't too hard to keep lit. Yes, it's a gooey aromatic and smokes wet. A smoker should really have a separate pipe for this - a moisture absorbing meerschaum would be ideal.

I've smoked several other sweet black cavendish tobaccos and none hold a candle to this, the original. I smoke about 4 oz of this a year and it's very good at what it does. Nice room aroma, light pleasant taste and easy to smoke. Definitely something for any smoker to try.

billb3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billb3 (17)
Extremely Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

Only Americans would take something as naturally lovely as tobacco and coat it in sweet sticky sh*! (by the way I am American). This is one of the most wretched concoctions to be concieved. It smells like burnt sugar, tastes like burnt sugar, and scorches my mouth. Tobacco is beautiful and I doubt this is tobacco. If you want to smoke sugar, boil paper bags in sugar bake it and voila a cheaper form of BCA.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

Maybe I got a bad batch, but BCA bit my tongue hard. I found this smoke very hot and quite bitter. I was pleased with the room aroma but that will surely not bring me back. Based on the reviews here, I tried this in several kind of pipes and got the same result each time.

renaissance man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renaissance man (14)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Does produce a lot of smoke but not very exciting on the aroma or flavor end of it. Seems to burn relatively cool...does have a creamyness in flavor but that creamyness is quite transparent.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This pleasant aromatic blend was one of my first forays into pipe tobacco. It's mild, burns nicely and has a mellow, brown sugar taste to it. Nothing exciting by any means, but I keep it around for the rare ocassions when my sweet tooth attacks, as its one of the few heavily-cased blends that I can stand.

Pipe Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Guy (23)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I had high hopes for this tobacco after reading these positive reviews. Unfortunately, this blend let me down.

The tobacco has a truly wonderful room note and pouch aroma that is vanilla and chocolate. Yum! This stuff is very, very mild, and it is just about impossible to get it to bite. Also, this stuff smokes very cool.

Now the bad stuff...

What did I find after a pleasant bowl? Lots of goop! It looked like the bottom 1/3 of my bowl was coated with roofing tar. I can live with a little moisture from aromatics, but this was excessive. I don't care how good this tobacco is--sludge coated bowls are unacceptable. Everything about this tobacco was great except for the goop. I guess I'll have to find another (drier!) cavendish blend to enjoy. :-(

dgifford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dgifford (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

BCA is like comfort food. Simple, satisfying, consistant. It is my all-day smoke. Good socially, Good in Private. Good with SWMBO.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This is an all black cavendish. While I can see this as a blending tool I generaly dont like it by itself. It does have some very good qualities though, it smokes very cool, it has a creamy texture and is very easy to get a hold of. The negative qualities are that it is goopy and too mundane for a regular smoke for me. I smoked this in a briar pipe and it started to get funky and goopy. I will say that it does color a meerschaum very well and I did not experience the same problems in a meerschaum.

BrittPark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrittPark (41)

This is my criterion aromatic. Smells wonderful, smokes cool and evenly, with a sweet fruity-nutty flavor. Smells nice in the room. Produces beautiful rich mouthfulls of smoke. The smoke feels almost chewable. Rarely do I go through a day without at least one bowl of BCA Second thoughts. Having sampled a number of other American style aromatics I'll plop down to McClelland's Captain Cool as the best so far. I've found several other aromatics that I like better than BCA in addition. So I won't turn down BCA; it's a pleasant smoke but it isn't in my regular rotation.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

A dessert-type treat. Not hugely flavorful, but more than your average aromatic. The pouch and room aroma are exquisite, and it comes through to the flavor almost to the end of the bowl. This hovered between a three star and a two star, because I don't think I would order this in any quantity, but I'd take some on a trade, and enjoy it when the mood was right.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (27)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco surprised me. As I've stated before, I'm not a big fan of aromatics, I've found so few with any taste over the years, but this one is special. BCA has such a broad range of smells and tastes—berries, nuts, marshmellos, rum (whiskey is claimed, but it tastes more like rum to me), really sweet tastes, and remarkably complex. Of course, I can't think of a blend with more additives than this one, and it will goop up your pipe; but, even so, for me, it's the perfect smoke for when I want to switch gears. I find this blend particularly delightful on a warm summer night. The room note is actually noticeable for once, even outside, and it's a great scent. I've given this blend its own pipe, an old Leonessa Capri, a "beater," and, since I only smoke it every once in awhile, the pipe stays relatively clean. So, in summation, BCA is a great smoke, for what it is—a sweet Black Cavendish. I'll be searching for other Black Cavs in the future, but I will always keep some BCA on hand. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Leonessa Capri

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: local shop

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (13)

I just got some of this in an order from wvsmokeshop.com (highly recommend them!) and at first I thought it was exactly the same as Captain Black black. But it is a little better and I recommend this to mix with any burley OTC or by itself, not too much by itself.

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As an equal opportunity smoker (aromatics, English, just about anything I can get my hands on) I really enjoy this for a mild aromatic. Lane 1Q gets so much press, but I really think this is a nice quiet sleeper in their line up. I can puff away at this at night for hours and it just gets better. Yes, its a bit moist. So what? Dry it out for Pete's sake! This one definitely gets the wife seal of approval as well, so I keep it in the rotation so I can get away with smoking some of the stronger, more pungent baccy every now and then. If you are new to pipe smoking, try this. If you're a salty old dog and turned your nose up at this before, give it a shot. Nice before bed with a red wine or a cup of hot tea.

3PMF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
3PMF (2)

If you enjoy aromatics this is a must have for your rotation or as your all day smoke. Wonderful aroma, great room note, no bite, no gurgle, no dottle. A comforting smoke that will please both newbies and veterans alike. This is also a great blender. It makes all those also ran purchases you have cellared better. I am never without at least 8 oz of this wonderful yet simple tobacco.

ctyankeepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ctyankeepiper (13)

Ordered 4 ounces of this and 1Q not too long ago from pipesandcigars.com. When I opened the box it was in, I thought they cheated me sense the 1Q was in a in a bigger bag. When I weighed the bags on a postage scale I was relieved that they didn't and saved myself what would have been a very embarrassing phone call. First thing I notice when I opened the bag and went for my first pinch was it was sticky, but it sure smelled good, so I took out a bowls worth spread it on a small plate and let it dry for about an hour. After the hour drying time, the stickiness was gone, and was in perfect smoking condition. The smoke was a bit on the hot side, but once I figured out if I smoked it a bit slower than I normally o, it was much better.The room note was real good, even the Mrs. liked it but still won't let me smoke it in the house. Another one added to my rotation.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8

After Taste = 6

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Very Mild, Smooth, Mellow, good Flavor but a little After Taste. McClelland's VBC is much better.

Dartan4114 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dartan4114 (4)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my "go to" aromatic blend. It is the most mild I have tried. The room note is almost non-existent and makes a great "in-house, wife-friendly" smoke. With only a hint of vanilla, it is not overly sweet. It does smoke a little wet so a little drying or aging does make it better.

gunner525 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gunner525 (43)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I had a couple bowls of this at the West Coast Pipe Show and then ordered two ounces of it later.

It's a wonderful Black Cavendish blend with a nice topping of vanilla and whiskey.

The casing is pretty dominant on it and can get a bit goopy on the fingers loading the pipe but it's not overwhelming in the smoke.

Even though there's definitely a lot of casing on the blend it takes a light fairly well and still burns nice.

The flavors come through wonderfully in the taste and it leaves a very pleasant room note as well. Since it's strictly a Black Cavendish blend it will smoke longer than typical Va/Burley or Va/Cavendish blends so, you definitely want to set aside a bit more time to enjoy it. Overall it's a good blend that I'd highly reccommend to aromatic smokers.

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

There's not much i can add to the other reviews... the flavors, scents, and other goodness in there all comes out as described. It's burns cool and smooth and has a delightful sweetness to it. Its weakness (no surprise) is the lack of body to this blend. While an exceptional aromatic, it leaves me wanting a little something extra.

smile tolerantly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smile tolerantly (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Unnoticeable

To paraphrase Roger from American Dad: "Oh my God!... This tobacco, this tobacco Francine, oh my God, this tobacco, oh my God!" I bought this at Mark's Tobacco Shop in Wakefield, MA where they sell it under their own name of "Spotted Tail" It's black colour might make one leery thinking that it'll taste like burning tyres, but the scent is all caramel, chocolate & coffee. it's truly beautiful. It's also thick and sticky but doesn't need to sit and dry out (unless you'd like to) but your bowl will need relighting. And once lit you'll experience the taste & smell of Nirvana (kidding) but both are wonderful. No bite at all & a wonderful "car note" (as I was smoking it while driving and the window was slightly open). If you like aromatics you will LOVE this. If you don't you won't. I think it's one of those you either love it or hate it tobaccos.

Irishman69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishman69 (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

This was my first pipe tobacco. I have found that I am more of a burley blend fan. This was too sweet for me and had somewhat of a chemical taste to it. I could taste roasted marshmallows. I will keep some in my rotation but this is definitely a tobacco that you have to be in the mood for.

ColonelStJames Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColonelStJames (14)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I read alot of reviews on here about Lane's BCA, and since I'm usually a big fan of Lane's tobaccos, I thought I'd give it a try. Got an ounce at my local B&M, and fired it up in the parking lot. Didn't exactly blow my skirt up It was a nice enough smoke, but I didn't get anything special out of it particularly. Then I came back here and read some more reviews and saw that many of my fellow pipe smokers were mixing it with "Codger Burley" and enjoying it more. I had some H&H left over, so last night a mixed up a bowlful, and WOW!! What a nice surprise! Before the H&H had been just okay,and the BCA was way too light to smoke by itself, but blended 50/50 it's a delight!

MasterBlaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MasterBlaster (3)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

It looks as thought the previous reviews say it all...This is by far one of the most incredible blends made. I smoke a hot pipe and this stuff has super flavor and has never bitten me yet. This is great for a beginner looking for strong flavor feedback with little effort. I dried the stuff out at room temp. and smoke bowl after bowl.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I like BCA. It certainly is not a tobacco that will get you super excited, or will make you stop and contemplate the intricacies of its being, but its nice

First this stuff is goopy. Really goopy. Like my fingers feel like I have maple syrup on them after packing a bowl of this goopy. Secondly this stuff is apologetically cased. I can only imagine the recipe, 1 part tobacco, to 15 parts sludgy stuff. In the end it has a welcoming taste, a comforting aroma, and a surprisingly easy burn. This tobacco is probably the base tobacco of 90% of all those small b&m "house blends". You know the ones, they are lined up in nice looking jars and smell like heaven, but are the equivalent to putting Elmers glue in your pipe.

Overall this stuff is not too bad, it is not too good either. Give it a shot, if nothing else it is a well known staple of the pipe smoking world.

WooseyWid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WooseyWid (5)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

My favorite baccy among the Lane Limited line up. About every shop has a big jar of this, so it is readily available and inexpensive.

BCA burns very cool, smooth and is quite tasty. The vanilla/chocolate/caramel casing tends to cause the typical aromatic goop but bystanders will definitely enjoy the room note.

Being a ex-cig smoker, this baccy's nicotine level is way too low; and I do not enjoy aromatics anymore, but i still recommend this baccy if it suits your tastes.

Chubs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chubs (3)

I had to completely change my review after using this for a while. I completely misjudged it. I will add detail later, but this has become the MOST essential tobacco in my collection. It is the #! MUST HAVE I keep on hand.

Big Kev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Kev (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This is a tobacco I always have around. Now granted I mix this 50/50 with PA to make it burn better and add a little more taste. I think anyone who likes aromatics should at least try it. Cheap and a great room note. Yes very one dimensional but we are talking bulk aromatics here.

Checkm8 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkm8 (3)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my go-to tobaccos. I discovered this while on travel in a mall shop. Got a couple ounces based on the smell. It did not disappoint! It took me a while to track it back down since none of my local shops sold it and I had not done much online hunting, but once I found it, I ordered a bunch more. I've had no problem keeping it good over time.

This can smoke wet and hot if not careful. The room note is wonderful, even I enjoy it while I smoke, which I don't find often happens. The taste is extremely creamy with a definite chocolate vanilla soft serve ice cream swirl taste.

If I'm just looking for a sweet dependable smoke, I'll grab this!

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

this is an updated review. I have had a good bit of this in a ziplock bag for over a year. I smoke it regularly. My b and m went out of buisness and the gave me probably half a pound.

It is a fantastic smoke when your in the mood for something sweet. Delicious vanilla flavor, without the artificial chemicael like flavor many aromatics have. This isnt the typical house blend that smells great and then taste like hot air. It has a lot of flavor, and you know you are smoking a tobacco.

It burns really cool, but does get a little goopy and messy. Worth it though in my book because it is probably one of the most flavorful aromatics out there. I like to taste my tobacco not just smell it.

Reccomended to anyone who has a bit of a sweet tooth. I am an english smoker primarily and I can reccommend this to english lovers as well. DO NOT pass it up because it is a lane blend or a simple black cavendish. It is really good.

By the Way, your B and M probably has this and just calls it something else. So if you see a bulk black cavendish at your tobacconist give it a try because it is probably this one!

lowlytech Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lowlytech (1)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is my first review and I have been trying to find a few blends to stock up on. Well I think I finally found one I really like. I was moved enough by this blend to sign up and make this first reveiw. This was purchased from Mars the first week of sept 2011. When it came the smell was very nice. Smells like rich chocolate and vanilla. Lit a bowl in my ben wade and the smoke was quite thick. It was a very relaxing and mild smoke. No harshness whatsoever, stayed lit with no drying time needed prior to packing the pipe. I could really taste the rich flavor of the smoke and it came out in volumes. I enjoyed this very much. Not sure if some of the bad reviews came from bad batches or not, but what I received is really good stuff. Totally aromatic. I love vanilla in general as a flavor and I have never smoked cigarettes, so I guess this fits my profile. The after smoke taste in my mouth isn't overwhelming soapy like many of the other blends I have tried. The bottom bowl of the pipe was lightly wet when done, but I got no gurgle at all.

JMass_M14 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JMass_M14 (1)

About four months ago, the "vanilla" flavoring just disappeared from the vanilla cavendish blend. Until Lane Limited places customer satisfaction back in front of corporate earnings, I'll have to find something else to smoke. Shame, too, because it took me quite a while to find something that I liked and didn't cause 'friction' with the wife...

Erik-Peterson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erik-Peterson (7)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Another great Lane Limited aromatic. Slightly sweeter and smoother than 1Q. A unique smoke.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

my favorite tobacco shop tobacco world in the flour mill carries this and they label it as dainsh vanilla. this tobacco is a room pleaser with everyone enjoying the scent. its got a nice balance and has no bite to it. a good aromatic that beginners to expirenced smokers will enjoy.

Kittycatman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kittycatman (4)

My local B&M recently added a new blend to their tobacco bar. It is called 50/50. They take half BCA and mix it with half Peter Stokebbye Whiskey. I have smoked several pounds of this blend and am completely hooked. It is a wonderful combination. Very mild and has a wonderful flavor and room note. Give it a try sometime. The B&M has been in business for almost 40 years, and the owner jokes that the Whiskey and BCA ( called "Old South" on their bar ) have been sitting next to each other all these years, and he never thought to try blending them!

THESSALONIAN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
THESSALONIAN (22)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The BCA that I received was dry enough and smelled good. But that's where the good ended.

This is like a cigar in taste and aroma. I've bought better black cavendish in bulk from the cigarette store. McClellands VBC is much better than this.

One star only.

Note to another reviewer: This is not Midnight by Tinderbox. That is a completely differend animal. I bought 2oz. of Midnight when I was at the Tinderbox 2 months ago and just received BCA from Cupajoes. Unless Cupajoes got something mislabeled I do not like BCA but Midnight is smooth and has good flavor.

Rumplestilzken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rumplestilzken (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is my go to smoke. The taste it incredible, and smooth. Refined, yet wild in its own way. It tastes like vanilla and honey to me.

Ive tried to abuse this tobacco just to prove myself wrong, but you cannot get bitten at all, no matter how you smoke it. Tight, Loose, taking a puff every few minutes, or puffing on it like a fog machine,this will not bite.

Easily an all day smoke, even when i have tobaccos i want to try that i've bought recently, i find it hard to stray away from this because it is such a great tobacco blend, and as led to quite a few disappointments in other tobaccos, because they just don't match the quality i find in BCA

i have never had a bowl of anything else last anywhere near BCA, ive smoked for close to 2 hours in a medium sized bowl. its incredible.

when i have the money, i will be buying 5LBs of this, without a doubt.

Funn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Funn (14)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I used to smoke this in my early days before I knew how to smoke and pack a pipe correctly. I have been enjoying this in my Aromatic meers for months now. Once I learned to pack it,and most aromatics, loosly, it has opened up a new dimension for me.I smoke this in my car on the way to work and home and usually in the evenings. Extremely tasty and creamy. It even tastes good DGTeed for a day and for weeks. I smoke all catagories of tobacco and BCA and PA are my go to blends for laid back non-critical enjoyment. Fantastic in a briar or cob and really exceptional in a meer. If you pack it loose you won't get that soap taste many complain about & I used to taste when I packed with a heavy hand. This is the blend for sweetness and a great tobacco taste. Many use this for blending but I love it just as it is. Excellent for a beginner and great for the veteran smokers. This along with Black Cordial and Butternut Burley are my aromatics standbys. Particularly great during the Christmas Season which I am currently enjoying now.

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

Good ole' BCA. I've smoked this blend off and on for many years. If it ain't a classic I don't know what is. Excellent vanilla/chocolate spice taste with a pleasant room note. This one is a real wife pleaser! Smooth and creamy with no bite and the flavor remains throughout the entire bowl. It has become my go to blend in a cob while fishing or setting in my tree stand during deer season. In recent years I have taken to mixing three parts BCA to one part McCelland's 5100 to ramp up the vitamin N a bit. Overall I'd class this as a must try for any aromatic or part time aromatic smoker like myself. It still sells for around $2.00 per ounce in my area and appears to be reasonable in price most other places as well. Go for it! You'll be glad you did.

WillardFan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillardFan (68)

My B&M sells two types of the Lane Offering. One is the BCA and the other is simply labeled Black Cavendish. I looked at the actual multi-pound bags, and they do indeed have two different names. I've tried them both, and there is a difference. The BCA has the milder flavor of the two. The Black Cavendish blend is well over the top though. I actually like the stronger blend more. The BCA is too mild for my taste buds. I do like them both, but IMHO the stronger one has more to offer in both flavor and room note...

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

BCA.. Where I go for a mild all day Cavendish. Nothing special but when a mild, tasty and bite free, outdoor all day smoke is called for, Lane tobaccos like this one, IMO are hard to beat.

apipeareyouserious? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
apipeareyouserious? (21)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Oh wow, I really really like this blend! Bought 2 ounces of it from a local tobacco shop and have to get more. Finally, an aromatic I can stand to smoke! On the down-side, the store I went to pretended not to understand what I was talking about when I asked which of their bulk blends was Lane's BCA. When I said "OK, well thank you very much" they remembered..."Oh, THAT Lane's BCA. Yeah, right here."

p.smoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p.smoker (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

o.k. so after trying to find a blend close to my beloved midnight from the tinderbox...i find out after reading about this tobacco "it is my beloved midnight from the tinderbox"!.(now you tell me).this is a great tobacco.i have smoked pounds and pounds and pounds of it and never been disapointed.it smokes cool,never bites,has a great taste and flavor,and the room note is pleasant .as others here have mentioned it is a good blending tobacco.i hav`nt tried it with lanes iq.but i have mixed it half and half with c&d`s autumn evening with great results.

i think these two tobaccos compliment each other.you get a creamy caramel, dark chocolate,vanilla taste.you can`t go wrong smoking a caramello chocolate bar (with zero calories)as far as i`m concerned.if you like a good mild vanilla tasting aromatic tobacco give this one a try.if you want to kick it up a notch add the autumn evening or blend it with one of your favorite tobaccos and see what you get.this is a great black cavandish tobacco with a nice light casing.its my all day tobacco. give it a try it just might be your all day smoke.let me know.p.smoker

update:january 2011...just when i thought this tobacco could not get any better! mix it 50/50 with lanes 1q.these two tobaccos are made for each other.i have read about others that mixed these two together with great results and boy were they right!! i`ve been smoking this 50/50 mix for a few weeks now and it is pure bliss.do your self a favour and get some 1q and mix it with your bca.you will be a happy pipe smoker.oh yeah,pipe smokers always ask each other ...what would be your desert island tobacco? well...if i were on a desert island like tom hanks in the movie "cast away".screw making a raft! i`d be sitting with wilson enjoying the view and smoking this mixture all day long.(he,he)

happy jack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
happy jack (25)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Did alot of reviews on BCs, this is a fine smoke for blending, not bad, not horrible, yea, try it,... its pleasent alone, brightens up some blends. 2 stars

jgr1974 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jgr1974 (2)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favorite daily smoke!!! I am a black cavendish fan and this is surely my favorite! This can be bought at most retailers by the ounce, and it is reasonable priced-$5 per 2 oz average.

Aroma when open bag is a chocolate raisin. Has a very mild taste and nice room aroma that will be pleasing to all. I used to smoke this in an Armellini calabash, and it was superb. Right now on the cob kick, and smoke well in it too! This is a very mild smoke that will not offend anyone. It is all cavendish from color to cut, a dark black in color. A little sticky from casing, but tolerable. This is what I would recomend for novice just starting out, or experienced pipe smoker who wants a cool mellow smoke!

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Very nice aroma from the jar. When smoked has a very pleasant room note, produces huge clouds of fragrant smoke, does not bite, but does not have much flavor either. Make sure you let it dry out on a plate for at least a half-a-day if you do not want to go through a box of matches keeping it lit. If you enjoy a bland, almost flavorless smoke that smells wonderfully good, this is for you.

On the other hand, it makes a great blending tobacco. Blend one-third Lane BCA with two-thirds Lane 1Q, and let it air dry out on a plate for 24 hours. Makes a delighful aromatic smoke. In the world of aromatics, you will not find a better blend than Lane 1Q+BCA, IMHO.

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The best vanilla black cavendish on the earth. This tobacco burns cool and will not bite. If you like capt. black you'll love this!

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This stuff was much better than I thought it would be! Mild yet flavorful, with good body. You'ld be hard pressed to do better in a Black Cavendish. High availability, low price, stock up! Whether everyday or change of pace, you won't be disappointed. I like it!

pgmrdan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pgmrdan (5)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I have nothing negative to say about this tobacco except that I don't have enough of it in my cellar.

A very nice mild smoke with great taste and it leaves a very pleasant aroma in my truck.

To me, that's what matters.

Kissphantom05 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kissphantom05 (20)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorite blends. Toasty black Cavendish? Oh yes! I do not know if it was the fire-curing, but this blend is everything I could want for in an aromatic. It smells a lot better once lit, and the lingering aroma is very welcome in my house. If you can master the art of keeping it lit, the rest is just an enjoyable ride. Highly recommended.

Note: I have bought some of this (probably an impersonator) from a shop that was really finely ground up like coffee. I do not recommend this as it dried out really quick and was very easy to suck through the stem. Look for some that is more coarsely constructed.

Helzbelz75 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helzbelz75 (4)

I recently switched to smoking a pipe from cigars and cigarettes. I got tired of my mouth feeling like someone farted in it the next morning. I was pleasantly surprised with my first bowl of pipe tobacco, which was not BCA. No funky taste left in my mouth. Hell my wife couldn't even tell I smoked a bowl. That never happened with cigars or cigarettes. I had tried several aromatics from my local tobacco shop, many of which I liked before trying BCA. I told the tobacconist I liked the taste of vanilla but wanted something with a little more tobacco flavor and a little more kick. He knows I am a new smoker so before he mixed me up a blend he said try this. They call it something different there but I later found out it was Lane Limited BCA. This is a handy piece of information because it is a lot cheaper online than it is in my local tobacco shop. It smelled delicious in the bag. The local tobacconist told me to let it air out about 20 minutes before smoking. I was too excited to wait that long so I just loaded a bowl in my 9.5" Wellington. Upon lighting, I instantly noticed that it was not as vanilla flavored as others I tried. This I liked a lot. Around the half way mark, I really started to taste the tobacco. The vanilla was still there but it was more of a faint toasted vanilla. Tasted like this until the bottom of the bowl. No tongue bite, no gurggle, no gook. Just good ol' dry cool smoking toasted vanilla. Was it the Wellington?...maybe, because I have smoked it in other pipes and I have to relight a couple more times than other aromatics. Maybe it's my packing technique. I recently started letting it dry out for 5 minutes before smoking and I have no problems. It doesn't have as much nicotine as I'd like but it is by far my favorite smoke right now. Enjoy!!!

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is a good blend from Lane. Although it smells and looks as though it would be a goopy aromatic. For me that is not the case. It burns very slow and clean. has a great room note. I rarely smoke it straight. I mostly use it for a mixer. I add 1/3 to a good English with a good amount of Latakia. Something like Proper English. I really enjoy the combo. It has been my all day for some time now. The BCA adds to the room note. In a positive way. My wife likes it. She hates the smell of straight English or Balkan blends,which I love smoking. This is an easy compromise. BCA smokes just fine by itself. First class black cav. Surprisingly clean burning.

DakotaPeacePipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DakotaPeacePipe (33)
Mild Strong Full Very Pleasant

One of this smokers all time favorite aromatics. Smokes, cool never any bite, an all day smoke. Sweet but not cloying so, vanilla yes, but in some moderation, a complex of flavors really seem to come together in this blend to produce a near nirvana smoking experience. Wonderful aroma for those around the smoker, but more importantly a truly rich and flavorful experience for the smoker. Herman Lane really left pipe smokes a wonderful legacy and BCA is no small part it. It is tragic to see how the current entity controlling Lane seems to be squandering this rich history, I pray that BCA survives Lanes current (mis)management!

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

I give BCA 4 stars because it's excellent at being what it is supposed to be. A basic, mild Cavendish for every day use as well as blending. I slow burning smoke with a mild vanilla flavor and a a hint of licorice. Smokes extremely cool and possesses no bite. In my opinion, the best black Cavendish blend available and I go through a lot of it.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

As an English/Balkan hound, I'm not into aromatics at all, so there are only two on the planet that I smoke. This is one of them, even though it's only once a month or so. BCA is just dependable. Easy to smoke, tasty, relaxing, contemplative, this is the one I choose on those rare occasions when a big in-your-face Balkan just won't cut it. Makes me feel good and the room note pleases.

Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is the finest American black Cavendish and the best blend ever created by lane limited, smoke it as it is or use it for blending, this tobacco works in every single way. Definitely it is the best of its class.

stream25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stream25 (7)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

For me, BCA is the comfort food of pipe tobacco. There's nothing complex about it, but it always hits the spot with its sweet aroma and taste. The tobacco is wet, but does not give me any tongue bite. It's also priced right. So while it does not have the complexity of a nice English tobacco, it's sometimes nice to go back to basics.

macbforme Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
macbforme (7)

Who doesn't enjoy this stuff? You either started off on this or came across it by chance. Either way, you'll find out eventually that BCA is the only "aromatic" tobacco you'll keep coming back to time and time again. I love this stuff and give it 4 stars because it is just awesome!

DRijkers Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DRijkers (14)

This is a well known all black cavendish, sold under just as many names as there are tobacco shops that stock it. Every single pipe shop has it. It's been called Ebony, Onyx, Spanish Galleon, and I also suspect that Midnight from Tinder Box is the same stuff. Thick, creamy smoke is produced, and just about everyone around compares it to baking cookies or other kind of sugary goodness. This one will always get compliments.

Typically when this is purchased in bulk, it's usually quite wet and sticky. I find it works best for me if I put it in a roll-up tobacco pouch and let it sit around for a few weeks. Coming from cigars, I always operated under the assumption that drying a tobacco out was a cardinal sin. I came across some BCA that I had in a Tupperware container from some months ago, and that heavy stickiness had faded. What an eye-opening experience! That ?curing time? helped to reduce any heavy dampness and goop left at the bottom of my pipe at the end of the smoke. While I tolerate this blend fresh, it's a favorite of mine after the pouch treatment. I've found dedicating a pipe to this blend (or a pipe to heavier aromatics) works best.

pop-pop's pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop-pop's pipe (96)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Black cavendish, period! You can find this in any tobacco shop that does custom blends. It's cool,sweet,creamy,and vanilla flavored. What's more to ask? This is better than Captain Black. More zesty and sweet, with a better room note. Great tobacco for beginners. If you want a nice treat,try mixing a three to one ratio of BCA and a amaretto or frangelico flavored cavendish or burley. 3oz BCA with 1 to 2oz of the flavored tobacco. But I do like it by itself. I see many complaints here about dottle and wetness. It's an aromatic, they all do that even the $10.00 50 gram tin ones. With aromatics, you have to clean your pipe at least once a day with both bristle, and soft absorbent cleaners. Using a filter pipe like a Grabow which I own, an Omega to be exact, or a Savinelli will work wonders for the smoke! Cleaning is the key to keep it fresh, and once a week, sweeten the pipe with Bee or Whisky or Brandy. You don't have to fill the bowl with the stuff, just dip the cleaners in it and go from there. The bristle cleaners will loosen any gunk and the absorbent ones will soak up the juice.

Update!! I tryed a blend of 5oz BCA with 3oz 1Q, it results in an incredibly smooth, mild, sweet smoke. No bite, no burn! The 1Q adds a tad of stregnth and coconut flavor. BCA has changed a bit, it's flavor is not primarily vanilla anymore. I could taste vanilla, clove, and even cinnamon! In combo with the 1Q, it's a real treat! The tobacco is drier too. No gunk left on the bottom!

Vrbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vrbas (7)

Ah, BCA. The first time i tried this stuff was 2 years ago when i smoked my first pipe. I didn't really know what to think as it was my first pipe smoke so I had to pay homage to it as i recently picked up the hobby more and more. So i strolled down to Little Anthony's tobacco shop at the heart of Auburn University to give this one a second try. Of course the shopkeep informs me it is their best seller so i got a little baggy of my own to take home.

Tobacco is a bit wet to start with but what can you expect from a Cavendish blend like this? I don't normally dry out to tobacco so i didn't this one either. Upon lighting I get a good, full sweet taste of tobacco. I wish i could pinpoint the actual taste imitators, but alas i could not. It just taste really good. Mainly the reason I like it is because it HAS a taste, to me at least. I've smoked several blends in a week or so and I can't help but feel like they all taste the same to an extent too much for me to ignore. Of course there are small nuances to pick up here and there, but to me BCA stood out the most as far as taste goes. Again, i wish i could describe to you the taste but again, it's just darn good stuff. Get some... now.

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (22)

This is one of my top picks after twenty years of pleasant puffing.

Smokering Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokering (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The King of all Black Cavendishes. You would be hard pressed to find a smoke shop that doesn't carry this blend. Many have tried to copy but have failed. I have found other black Cavendish blends that are so sticky from the casings that the tobacco sticks to my fingers when I fill my pipe!! BCA does not do that. I have smoked BCA since 1986 and while I have strayed, I always return!! This is the blend that nobody will complain about.Wonderful aroma and a smooth rich taste. Lots of aromatics lose there flavoring around half way down, due to the casings heating up and running down to the heel of the pipe. BCA is that rare aromatic that keeps the flavor from start to finish. I have never had a goopy heel from this mixture. I have found that I enjoy it in my Meerschaums the most. I also like the way they color with BCA. I feel briars are best for English mixtures and Meerschaums are best suited for aromatics. You can smoke BCA all day with no tongue bite or mouth irritation whatsoever. Take my test: Smoke your favorite blend all day and when you are done at the end of the day take a swig of Cola or rinse with Listerine. This will surely let you know if your blend is irritating your mouth. In closing: BCA is in my humble opinion one of the best aromatic blends ever created. Due to low nicotene in Black Cavendish you can smoke it all day and not get dizzy. Great for first time smokers. A great smooth smoking blend for the experienced smoker as well. The room aroma is unmatched. The stigma that Black Cavendish is good for starters and then "better" blends can be explored is unfair. This is a time tested blend that Lane has blended since the mid 70's. Lane buys all the leaf grown in the Green River Valley. Nobody can get there hands on this special leaf. This truly is a special blend that everyone should try at least once. You might be surprised how it will become a staple in your smoking stable!

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (129)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

9/1/07 I recently have gotten back into smoking pipes and find that this has a very pleasing room note(my wife loves the aroma) and to me a very nice taste to it. Like many here, I have tried others but always seem to go back to this blend. It is very easy to keep lit and I have never had any tongue bite, even puffing way too quickly on it.

1/17/08 I have to reduce this down to 3 stars because I seem to be getting the aromatic gurgling more and more with this blend. Plus, my pipes are getting too much gunk in and on them. Still a good tobacco, but I'll definitely be trying something else. Experimenting can be a good thing.

leaflover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leaflover (2)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Very nice cavendish. Stays lit easily and smokes cool. A little wet straight from the bulk bag...but that's easily fixed. I've had about 7oz. of this tuff in a jar for a little over a year and it seems to mellow in taste, while the tobacco itself is a bit stiffer. The jar aroma is always pleasant. I smoke it through a meerschaum. My kids and wife love the smell of this stuff. It has a nice finish. I recomend trying this blend...it's one of the better blacks out there. I cut my pipe teeth on Lane BCA and 1Q...and still smoke both today. The lite vanilla casing is never overpowering, and this blend produces less gurgle than most aromatics I've tried. Always available somewhere, and affordable...I never get lower than 4oz. of this in stock.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (114)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I do not smoke straight black cavs, but I do use them to blend with other tobaccos in a never-ending search for the perfect vanilla aromatic which is smooth, flavorful, and complex... and just because trying to make your own ideal blend is fun!

I have tried many black cavs and I prefer BCA over the vast majority of other such tobaks. It burns cool, less goopy than I anticipated, and it stays lit quite well. It is a tasty vanilla and provides a solid base with which to begin your mixology.

This is really a pleasant blending tobacco, and I recommend it for that purpose.

highlander999 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
highlander999 (8)

I really enjoyed this, mixed it 1/2 and 1/2 with 1Q and am really enjoying the mixure. Very nice, everyone around me loves it.

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)

They are a lot of Black Cavendish Tobaccos out there, but this one is truly great. After I purchased it I thought to my self, I can not believe I bought another Black Cavendish Tobacco. I have somewhat always liked it, but was never nothing to write home about. Well I could not have been more wrong. This stuff is fantastic to say the least. It is loaded with flavors of vanilla, and nuts. It burns dry and cool, even my pipe does not get as hot as a lot of other blends. I am very excited over BCA and plan on buying much more of it. If you like aromatic pipe tobacco try this, this old tobacco may become your new tobacco.

Ricochet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ricochet (7)

I discovered BCA in 1974, in a college town pipe shop that blended its own tobaccos. I quickly noticed that their most popular blends, and the ones that I liked best, were full of this rich black stuff. I thought "If this is what they all have in common, I want to try the straight stuff," so I got the proprietor to scoop me some out of his blending stock and learned from him that it was called B.C.A., for Black Cavendish Aromatic. I really liked it. It became my favorite pipe tobacco, and it has been ever since.

That was a really fun time in my life, so I may be biased toward BCA in the same way as toward an old perfume a whiff of which brings back vivid memories of a teenage romance. But there's nothing wrong with that, is there?

I can load up a pipe with BCA anytime and know that I'll have a pleasurable time with it. I don't get tired of it. It's nice to have something different now and then, but I'll always have BCA around. Others have already commented adequately about its flavors and aromas. Lane hit on a really nice combination with this stuff. There are other similar tobaccos out there, but I haven't find any of them to quite measure up. To me it's the standard for cavendish, and for aromatics.

Nonsmokers tend to like the fragrance of BCA, and often comment at some length about how they can't stand cigarette or cigar smoke but love to smell pipe tobacco, which they feel is more "natural." (Which is rather amusing considering that the source of much of the pleasant aroma is the added casing.) Maybe smoking wouldn't have been subjected to so much restriction and banishment if more folks had been smoking sweet aromatic pipe tobaccos!

I did much of my learning to smoke a pipe on BCA, and I went through all of the problems that have been mentioned in this thread including the wet pipe troubles and yes, even tongue bite! They are all problems resulting from improper smoking technique. After learning how to properly pack, light and smoke a pipe, BCA will give a pleasant, dry smoke from start to finish, and at the end the gray ash can be emptied out of the bowl by simply turning the pipe upside down. It will leave the pipe dry and clean, and doesn't even build up much cake.

I highly recommend BCA, which is as good a tobacco as any for a pipe novice and one that any experienced pipe smoker will want to keep handy in his stock. I could get along happily with BCA alone if I couldn't get any other pipe tobacco, and not feel that I was missing a thing.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

First of all I am predominately an English, Oriental, Virginia smoker? with that being said BCA is one of the few aromatic pipe blends that I will tolerate, actually I really like this one. Unlike many aromatics this one does not goo up your pipe so badly that you feel like your pipe is submerged in swampy water. It also does not have the ?typical? candle wax, plastic taste when you smoke it like many other of its peers. This pipe tobacco would be great for a beginner because it burns so easily that it really doesn?t take any concentration to keep it lit. The room note is very mild, my wife wishes that this would be the only tobacco I smoke, and she says it ?smells like baking cookies? this is especially true when mixed with Lane 1-Q. A mixture of 1-Q and BCA in equal parts is probably the best way to enjoy this tobacco, too sweet otherwise; they complement each other very well.

A great cavendish aromatic.

BCA is more complex than most cavendishes, and is solid for any aromatic smokers. Beginners will enjoy it for its sweet smoke and low maintenance, veterans will enjoy the layers of flavor it has to offer. A few notes:

--Pouch Aroma: Sweet, but not too sweet. The aroma isn't "standard vanilla." I'd say its a much deeper, "thicker" vanilla. Add to this a bit of black licorice aroma and I think that's a reasonable description.

--Packing and burning: The tobacco is a bit sticky (even when allowed to dry), but that doesn't inhibit the packing much. The tobacco likes to pack fairly dense, and smokes well that way--but that means to take care with the charring light. I usually char this one 2 (sometimes 3 for a large bowl) times before lighting for real...take care to pull that flame all the way through the bowl--it'll be worth it later. The smoke burns evenly throughout, needing very few relights. Also, it didn't take much, if any, effort to keep a cool, smooth burn. No tongue bite here!

--Flavor: Not quite what the pouch aroma advertises...actually, I find it to be better. One thing I've noticed is that its a very deep taste. Depending on your palate, and a billion other variables, this has the ability to be slightly different everytime you smoke it...different flavors come out more, deepen, fade, mellow, or brighten each time. Even better, these change as each individual bowl progresses as well. I've found this to be rare with topped cavendish blends.

If I had to describe the general flavor, I'd say its build on a firm foundation of vanilla...not boring vanilla but a rich, complex vanilla. The base tastes more like ACTUAL vanilla, not what we've come to associate with vanilla flavoring. Usually, the licorice that's in the pouch aroma pokes its head out a few times in the bowl. It is usually a very mellow flavor hiding in the background, but it does pop up every now and again. Beyond that, different tastes will spring up from time to time. At different times I've picked out what seems to be a berry sort of flavor. Sometime I can taste cherries. Often there is a nutty flavor and quality. Once or twice I could've sworn I tasted roses.

On the whole, this is a terrific tobacco. Great for beginners and vets alike. It works well as a first smoke of the day with coffee, a good afternoon or after work smoke, its nice and sweet after an evening meal, and is relaxing and pleasant enough as a just-before-bedtime smoke. No doubt about it, 4 out of 4.

CTPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTPiper (8)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

My favorite Lane blend so far and one of my favorite Cavendish blends. Stays lit, burns well and leaves a dry residue. Great taste and delightful room note. A much better tobacco than 1Q.

Oldman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldman (5)

This blend is just a delicious treat for me. I always keep some handy. Never bites, stays lit very well and burns cleanly and never leaves a damp residue. I mostly smoke burleys like MB's Navy Flake but this aromatic really hits the spot. Smoke some every day!

I absolutely never have to re-light this tobacco unless I have put my pipe down for a while. Lane has a winner in this one.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

I am by no means a fan of aromatics, but there are a couple that I enjoy on occasion. The tobacco is VERY black and has a pleasant pouch aroma that comes through in the smoke (which is, by the way, quite thick). The flavour is somewhat reminiscent of Samuel Gawith's "Firedance Flake" in that I note slightly soapy, fruity, and perhaps some vanilla elements. However, this tobacco is much sweeter than "Firedance Flake".

I don't think I could smoke this all day, but I wouldn't want to do without it when I'm in the mood for it.

F. Prefect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
F. Prefect (24)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I'll have to agree with the majority on this one. Although I've smoked a pipe for a number of years I only recently smoked my first bowl of BC-A and all things considered, this is one of the best aromatics I've smoked. It packs easily, smokes very slow and cool, and you probably couldn't get it to bite if you tried.

Although it makes for a very pleasant smoke by itself and would be a great tobacco for a new pipe smoker, this tobacco also has some qualities that would lend it to being a very good blending component.

I don't why it took me so long to try this tobacco, but I'm very glad I was able to "find" it. Truly a classic aromatic that has to rank with 1Q as being at the top of Lane's best selling tobaccos.

F. Prefect

Cinema Bill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cinema Bill (7)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Fire-cured Cavendish tobaccos discreetly flavored to produce an extremely mild, slow burning cool smoke. This blend is well suited for early morning or late evening smoking. I suggest a small to medium bowl pipe only because it?s moist nature may tend to cause the bottom of a larger bowl pipe to become ?soggy? after a long smoke.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

For an aromatic smoke, it is hard to beat Lane's BCA. A strong but very pleasant room note that others around you will enjoy. Strong vanilla taste with what would appear to be just a hint of licorice. One of my favorite in the Lane bulk aromatic catagory. Sometimes useful for blending.

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)

BCA or Bobs Blend is a good smoke. It has a good roomnote as well as taste. Its a very dark leaf and has a nice chocolate aroma to it. A very good after dinner tobacco. Its also a good mixer as well, I mixed this with Cornell and Diehl "Autumn Evening". It was a perfect mix. Highly recommended! MZMN 12-22-04

InTheBiz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
InTheBiz (4)

Lane BCA, or Black Cavendish Aromatic, is the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked nearly 30 years ago, and it's still my absolute favorite! It always provides a cool, smooth smoking experience in virtually any pipe. Vanilla flavor, but not too overwhelming, with hints of licorice and chocolate.

I had the chance to visit the Lane factory in Tucker, Georgia a few years ago and learned that Herman Lane developed this tobacco in the early 1970's using only Green River tobacco of the one sucker variety. Several farmers in Kentucky grow this strain of leaf and Lane buys all of it. Other tobacco companies try to imitate BCA, but to no avail. The base tobacco is one the secrets to its unique flavor and burning qualities.

If you get a wet dottle smoking this blend, than I believe it's your technique rather than the tobacco. Try packing it a little on the loose side. It won't bite even if you have to puff more frequently.

Overall, BCA is a classic. No bite, great flavor and aroma, incredibly smooth. A solid 10 out of 10!

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This blend is very black in color with just a subtle note of Vanilla in flavor. As several of the above reviews say, no matter how hard you try, you can not get this tobacco to bite. This is the perfect blend for beggining smokers to start out with and a nice mild smoke for experienced pipers when in the mood for something cool and mild. This is also an awesome tobacco to mix some Cyprian Latikia and natural cavendish with.

Smoked straight, It has always burned very clean. It has NEVER produced any gum or dottle in the bowl of any of my pipes, so where some claim to have experienced this, I can only speculate as to why.

Based on its merits both as a straight smoke and as a great blending choice, I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

I give this four stars for what it is....An American Aromatic, heavy on the vanilla, fairly light on the nicotine and a great beginner tobacco. If you are tired of the overpriced pouch tobaccos, this can be had at most tobacconists in bulk. It may not be called BCA where you shop, but it is most likely in one of the bulk containers. It also tastes more like real tobacco than the pouches that the discount and cigarrette vendors stock. Just don't put this type of tobacco in an expensive pipe! Happy puffing!

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

December 2003.BCA.

Easy to light mild aromatic with a exquisite mild berry taste that is cool and refreshing. Not heavily cased and tastes great.People around love the room note. This would be a wonderful blend for first timers to the pipe or those who like something mild & tasty. BCA leaves a nice clean ash with-out Goop. 8 out of 10.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

In my quest to find a nice aromatic, once again, I have been pleasantly surprised to find this one. I am normally a Balkan/English smoker but sometimes like to smoke an aromatic from time to time.

Appearance: Black Cavendish, medium to fine ribbon cut.

Aroma: Vanilla, some type of Berry too.

Packing: A breeze, it is moist though, I let mine air out 20 mins. or so.

Lighting: Surprisingly easy, two matches max.

Initial Flavor: Vanilla, Fruity

Mid-Bowl: The casing mellows, nice medium cavendish flavor comes out (you either love or hate cavendish).

Bottom of Bowl: Not much more build up of flavor, ash is suprisingly dry.

Overall: this is a nice aromatic, very easy to smoke, wonderful room note, no tongue-bite. I will recommend to aromatic fans, but remember to dedicate a pipe to this blend because the flavor stays in the pipe for a long time. I prefer to smoke this slowly, I find it ends drier and DGT seems to bring a little more flavor out of the leaf.

Rating: 4 out of 5 poiints in the aromatic category. Enjoy...

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

BCA is among the first tobaccos I ever tried. I still smoke it on occasion. My tastes have changed, otherwise I think I would still be smoking it regularly. It?s a very simple, straightforward, all Black Cavendish from Lane. This is an excellent choice for beginners, and makes a good all-day smoke.

BCA can get a bit wet and goopy, but even then, the flavor doesn?t change dramatically and it still doesn?t nip. Beginners may have a bit of trouble in this regard, but I think it is a lot easier to dry out a wet pipe than it is to get over a burnt tongue.

Overall, ideal cool smoke for the beginner, nice all-day smoke or change of pace for the experienced smoker. I don?t keep tons of this on hand, but I always like to have some around. You can find it anywhere bulk tobacco is sold. Pleasant for the smoker, pleasant for others in the room.

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

As stated above, this is a very mellow and cool smoke. It produces massive quantities of full creamy smoke. There is a nice vanilla taste to this but it does not entirely overpower the tobacco. Good stuff to break in a new pipe. I'll hover between two and three stars on this as well.