Matured Old Belt Virginia, Tennessee Burley, Latakia, Turkish and natural Cavendish in a balanced medium strength mixture where no one element dominates.

BrandChonowitsch
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Cavendish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

3.1
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Masterfuly balanced classic English mixture with a base of rich red Virginias, Orientals and Latakia. The Kentucky is way too subtle, hardly noticed. Similar to T 16, but T 15's got no added flavoring.

A must-try for English mixture fans.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This was a wonderful surprise. It reminds me of English aromatic blends from the 60's and 70's, but much better. I can't remember ever having mixed emotions about writing a review before. My concern is not about the blend, but the fact that rating this one so highly will make it difficult to find. If you try T15, and like it as much as I do,keep it to yourself.

Update: I've changed my review of this blend three times. Each review wavering between three and four stars. This is my final opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Update 2: Make sure you leave the tin open for two days before smoking. If not, you will miss out on the wonderful subtle flavors of this blend. It will also nip if not dried out fully.

Update 3: The more I smoke this the better I like it. Bone dry is the only way to enjoy this wonderful mixture. This blend leaves almost no aftertaste and no throat irritation.

BriarBurner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBurner (29)

Lots of taste. A wonderful blend! The five tobaccos mix equally, producing a flavorful, cool burning, taste treat. Master blenders, and top quality tobac at their best..

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)

I haven't smoked any private label blends from pipe makers. For the most part, I usually stick to the major brands, G.L. Pease, Solani, Esoterica, etc. A friend of mine, who I share recommendations with for Bourbon, Scotch, beer and Spanish Brandy, recommended this blend. He has excellent taste, so I gave it a try. What a nice surprise T-15 is. It is a perfect, mild mixture of Virginias, Latakia and a touch of Cavendish and all three tobaccos come through nicely. I have had the pleasure of smoking this blend from a variety of pipes and it has smoked consistently well from pipe to pipe. I smoke both Virginias and English blends and this is a great mid-point between the two. I am also always on the lookout for mild blends I can smoke in the morning or all day and this fits the bill. Thanks Jess. You not only make great pipes, but you've got your name on an excellent blend.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This was another of my trials of tobacco under the name of respected pipe makers. I've never smoked a Chonowitsch pipe but Kolhacs & Kopp, the German blender, has matched the reputed high quality of his pipes with this blend. The tin is marked 'hand blended product of England' but the product is actually made in Germany. This blend was quite a departure from my normal VA flakes and included a melange of tobaccos in rubbed out form from golden yellow to jet black. I thought that the Latakia was dominant in the tin and room aroma but the taste was more balanced and resulted in quite a tasty smoke with a Turkish influence. The aftertaste was also better than some other blends with a heavier Latakia presence. Easy packing and lighting resulted in an effortless smoke. I couldn't smoke this or any Latakia blend as a steady but this one will be a nice change of pace.

What an unusual concoction! I really liked the combined elements of this light, but savory blend. You can taste just about everything in the blend, but if you are a latakia lover, this may be a bit thin for your blood.

If you are an aromatic fan, this won't excite you either. If, like me, you have a palate that accepts a variety of flavors (as long as tobacco is one of them), then I think you'll like ole Jess's T 15.

Thoroughly enjoyable. I smoked the whole tin in a matter of days.

I have really gone back and forth with my feelings on Chonowitsh T-15. On the plus side, this is a well-made blend with what appears to be premium tobaccos. It burns with billows of smoke and each component tobacco seems to be in balance. There is an extremely light topping on this blend and that is where the problem is for me. I am not adverse to a light topping on an English blend and while a person taking more of a purist position than I do, would describe this as an aromatic. I don’t find myself in that camp. The tin note does offer a wisp of berry, but nothing like the amount found in a Dunhill Three Year Matured or a Schurch’s Lapis “modern English” blend. But it is in fact that topping that bites me and I am not one that is easily bitten. I have tried to smoke it good and dry to see if that helps, but for me, it doesn’t. I can’t say that others that feel positively about this blend are wrong because the quality is certainly there and tastes vary. But for me, I have struggled with the half tin I have smoked and doubt I will finish the remaining half tin. I do think that had the blender resisted the added topping, T-15 would be a fine blend.

jon39 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jon39 (10)

This was my first try with Jess C. blend and I must say I really like it. Great taste, easy to keep lit, moisture just right on about the second day of opening the tin. For me, I'll keep this in the rotation.