An unusual blend of top grade Virginia with steam cured black cavendish and a hint of Oriental leaf. Beautifully contrasted and mild, with a typically Danish aroma.

BrandChonowitsch
Blended ByKohlhase, Kopp und Co. KG
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Very Mild, Mild, Medium
Extremely Mild, Mild, Medium
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable
2.7
Upon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Upon (15)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

While some blends by Jess Chonowitsch have turned out to be small masterpieces, others just leave me confounded. T12 of course belongs to the latter category. Typisch dänisch all right, exhaling quantities of Irish Cream and English Allsorts from the tin enough to hide the natural aroma, if any. In combustion, the amount of oriental leaf just suffices to yield a cigarettish character to the otherwise enjoyable combination of bright virginias and black cavendish. Good burning qualities (cf. below) further benefited from using meerschaum pipes instead of briar. The tobacco is not mild by any means, a good medium in both strength and taste.

There's an aspect to T12 that I have to show gratitude for. For many years, I feared I had become immune to the dreaded tongue bite. Now that was not the case by any means. After the first bowls of T12 I was literally bleeding from the gums and the palate. Reasonable precautions should be taken, including consideration of not opening the tin.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

*Sep 19 update: I am downgrading my recommendation of this a bit. I loaded up one of my Danish freehands with this for the first time in two weeks. The tobacco didn't seem any drier than the last time I smoked it, but it had lost most of its tin aroma. Smoking it was very, very harsh. I have other tins that were opened for the same amount of time that never lost their flavor as this has, nor did they develop this kind of harshness. The stuff did nothing but bite no matter how gently I sipped. This tobacco needs to be strictly regulated to maintain a high moisture content! The way it is when you first pop the tin, that is the way you need to keep it. Downgrading to two and a half stars for its unruly nature and difficulty in keeping hydrated.

*Sep 4 update: I don't know what happened to this stuff, but it has changed character on me over the past couple weeks. I noticed the other day that it was a little drier than it had been (the tobacco), and stuffed my pipe as usual with it. I lit up, and took a nice, easy draw. Ouch, ouch, ouch; I thought a bee had stung me on the tongue. While a very good blend, I agree with the other reviewers that, if you ain't ceer-full, you will be on a steady diet of ice cream cones for awhile.

I asked my tobacconist for a recommendation on something for a change of pace from the heavy English blends that I usually like to smoke. I specified that I do not, repeat do not, like aromatics. Aromatic tobaccos are, in my opinion, part of that same category as flavored coffee; they're crap. And people who use the stuff should be tied to big boulders, and rolled down steep hills with jagged rocks at the bottom.

Bearing this in mind, my tobacconist pulled down a can of T-12 and handed it to me. Okay, the stuff smelled less obnoxious than most aromatic blends. It fell apart easily, rather than sticking together in a big lump, so the cut and humidity were good. Heck, I'll just smoke a bowl of this stuff right now; a big bowl.

Right off the bat I could tell this was not what I was accustomed to in aromatics. It was sweet like a mild virginia, but without the bite. Surprisingly, it didn't smell up the place like so many cavendish blends. I had to be careful packing it into my big freehand, and following tamps had to be very gentle so as not to end up with the bowl getting too juicy. There was no vanilla odor, no fruity nutty taste; just good sweet and mild flavor and aroma. I don't know that it could be classified as a true aromatic, but that is a good thing in my opinion. It is a nice change of pace when I want a light blend.

I thought the above review by Jesse was awsome and right on the mark. This blend is sweet in a very light sense, and will flex its muscles with too agressive puffing. The leave exudes quality, and there's just enough real tobacco taste to suit me.

If you are an aromatic lover, this blend will be pleasing to you, I think. If, like me, you normally shy away from aromatics, you might still like this. It burns slowly, packs easily and stays lit well. But again, don't puff too aggressivly or you will be putting vasoline on your tongue!