This is Black Duck blended with burley and Maryland tobacco for a lighter mixture. Suitable for all day smoking with an aroma that is very pleasing to others. Slow burning and one fo our most popular aromatics for years. Aromatic.

BrandBufflehead
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
pjmartin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pjmartin (1)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was a all day smoke i loved, too bad you can't get it anymore. but i have 10 tins sealed and a few other of bufflehead tobacco..

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (75)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

11/23/06 - Thanksgiving

I smoked this blend since 2004 on Thanksgiving each year and the family has come to expect its lovely aroma after the feast. This year i am completely out of it and so i am heartbroken. O well, i purchased some Uhles blend #300 to take its place. I want to wish everyone here a wonderful Thanksgiving to you and your loved ones. Happy Thanksgiving!!

Update: Bufflehead tobacco's are no longer available at any price so my personal recommend rating must go down 2 stars because even if you found a tin, the price you would pay would be too great.

When i placed my last order for Mclelland, David at Bufflehead sent me a sample of this. I immediatley fell in love with this tobacco.!! It is a very light colored blend, with just a few specks of black cavendish. Very few.

Tastes like real tobacco and only has a light vanilla smell in the air to keep others happy. I taste only a smooth buttery sweetness.

All in all a top quality blend. I really only smoke aromatics, and this is the only one that has tobacco taste and no goop.-None. I ordered some more for Turkey day!!. Family will love the smell. Burns evenly without a sizzle and no tongue bite. Makes me happy.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This is on my short list of good aromatics, a breed I normally don't smoke on a regular basis. The pouch appearance is inviting, with light and dark brown shades mixed in with the black cavendish. The pouch aroma is sweet without being cloying. The room note is good, without any tendency towards the sickening sweetness common to its' more goopy brethren. Things begin with a sweet flourish, gradually settling into more of a sweet virginia/cavendish note, with the burley in the background and not quite so apparent. Keeping a pipe cleaner handy is a good idea, as this one can sometimes need a little drying in the bottom of the bowl without actually gurgling. Lighting is good, burn is a little above average for an aromatic, and it generally finishes with a bit of dottle left in the bottom of my pipe. I like David Windsor's blends; maybe someday I'll even try one of his full aromatics.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)

"Young Piper's" comments above are very close to my opinion about Masked Duck. Admittedly not much of an aromatic fan, I still like to know of a few good ones if the need arises. Masked Duck is a fine choice for those of us who wobble between Full English and straight Virginias, by way of Latakia and brushes with the Aromatic tribe. Masked Duck provides some nice taste of natural tobacco and doesn't get carried away with the additives or the pipe-wrecking goop. It does easily dry one's mouth a lot though. Meanwhile, the locals seem to remain Peace-prone and able to converse about something other than the sudden change in the atmosphere at the strike of a match, and that's a nice touch. Were it not for another Bufflehead blend (Ruddy Duck), I might be tempted to buy more Masked Duck. But, alas, Ruddy Duck is an aromatic that is so good in some many ways I've decided to allocate my entire allocation of Masked Duck to Young Piper and like-minded souls. Alas, due mostly it's drying effect and subdued taste I have to be stingy and give Masked Duck only two stars.

Tiger