Iwan Ries

Balanced using top-quality, high-grade luxury leaf for satisfying, and most smooth and gentle to the tongue.

BrandIwan Ries
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Mild, Medium
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.6
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know what the casing is, but it's not overly strong. This has a very light, toasty nutty. molasses taste from the burley, which is the stand out component. The mildly grassy, citrusy Virginia forms a base for the other tobaccos.There's a pinch of Cyprian latakia as well as the slightest, very slightest pinch of raisin and spice perique. Whatever the topping is, it's lightly sweet, and does tone down the tobaccos just a mite. The nic-hit is low. Needs a light hydration. It's an easy going, lightly sweet blend that wears easy on you during the course of the day. No bite, no harsh moments. Burns at a moderate rate with a fairly consistent flavor, and leaves very little moisture in the bowl. Needs few relights. This probably deserves more of a two and half star rating.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

I had a 6 year old pouch ,so maybe that made the difference . This was an amazing non aro American old school blend . I taste the components and it's simply fantastic ! I will have to order a new pouch and see how it compares . If the fresh isn't as good , like is shown here , then I'll stick it away for 6 years and it would have been worth it . The old pouch I had was fantastic . I saved what little I have left in a small mason jar ... 6 years aged might make the difference .. I'll find out soon enough

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (300)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Three Star Green was the second sample I received from my friend in Chicago and after Dr. Bradley, this was very bland. Mild to death, no Nicotine hit, I guess an ok blend for someone that's new to pipes but for me I had to check that my pipe was lit... The mildest Burley blend I have yet tried, perhaps a smidge of Cavendish and a light pleasant room note. Not bad but not great, a 2 star blend for me.

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (129)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I smoked a small pouch of this years ago when I got a sampler package of all the 3-star blends. As I remember, this blend was very bland and it was comparable to PA

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i'm new to non-aromatics so to start out i'd have to say,so far i like them.i thought this blend was suppose to contain latakia,like i said i'm not familar with the taste of latakia or perique for that matter so for now all i have to say is i like this blend.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another old fahioned non-aromatic from this venerable tobacconist. Green is a Burley/Virginia, fortified with some black Cavendish. This is lightly cased with simple syrup, licorice, and I suspect, a hint of cocoa. Puffed slowly, I managed to avoid any tongue bite, but the threat is certainly there. For this reason, I would steer a beginner toward something else. The melange produces a pleasant mild toasty sweetness, with licorice. The cocoa flavor builds up slowly, and it is noticeable by mid bowl. This has a nice finish, and doesn't leave my mouth tasting like an ashtray. As mentioned the packaging is very nice. I would hope that with a nice airtight pouch, Altadis would forego having to add too much propylene glycol as a preservative. Although not exciting, this is a very pleasant and companionable blend, well suited to a cup of coffee and a newspaper, or chatting with an old friend. It is inexpensive as well. This is a welcome refuge from the Captain Black, Borkum Riff style blends commonly available, and certainly worth a try.

Green is a non-aromatic. It tastes similar to Blue, but is not quite as harsh and certainly not as sweet. You will taste the orientals in the leaf but will not be overwhelmed by it. The virginia is there too, but somewhat subdued. I could detect no latakia in this blend, and would be surprised if I found out there is any.