Captain Earle's Nightwatch is deep, rich and full of smoky Latakia. This old fashioned Crumble Cake is the perfect blend for those quiet, contemplative moments whether standing the night watch on the deck of a clipper ship or in the comfort of your study.

BrandHermit
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Full

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've spent 30 days on Nightwatch, and I really like Captain Earle's company.

I am in a Latakia-centric stage right now. I move a lot between very even English Blends, and straight-up Latakia bombs. I am not turned off by the singularity of the Captain Earle taste at all. To be truthful, I could not survive just smoking Latakia heavy, dark blends like this. I need different tastes and blends. But without a doubt, on a daily basis, I just want a salty earth, man-smoke. This is when I reach for Captain Earle.

Right now, Ten Russians is my favorite tobacco. However, I cannot just set and forget Ten Russians, as it is too strong, and if I just puff away mindlessly, I get overloaded.

When I want my singular, Latakia-bomb fix, and I want to treat it as an all day smoke, I pack Nightwatch. Over the last 30 days, Nightwatch has been a true and trusty friend. I foresee it being a part of my cellar for years to come.

If you are a Frog Morton lover, you should dig on Nightwatch.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (59)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A good straight forward Lat. blend. The lat. is definitely the leading player here. The VA's offer a subtle sweetness but it is far from a sweet tobacco to me. The Turkish plays less in this blend and I only occasionally can pick them up. This is another good blend for doing other things while smoking. It does not bite and while it does have some complex elements here and there it really does not require much attention. Yet something about it remains enjoyable and far from boring.

Minz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Minz (10)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Mmmmmmm, latakia!

This is definatly a latakia lover's blend. The blend is full of dark rich black strands of the wonderful weed. Additionally there is a fair amount of what looks to be red virgina and several other dark brown tobacco's. The scent is intoxicating for latakia lovers. Full of the leathery richness that marks the leaf.

Upon the first match, the a deep musty latakia smoke pours though the pipe. Dominating the taste buds. The flavor stays at the forfront of the blend throughout the smoke. Every now and then the virgina's chime in. Not an overly sweet note, but more like along the lines of SG Full Virgina Flake. Near the end of the bowl, the orientals show a bit.

The blend burns cool, and seems to do better in larger pipes. Bringing out a bit more of the complexity (though not a very complex blend) to the palate. The ash is powerdy gray and leaves a nice dusting inside the bowl. This would be a nice blend to break a pipe in with.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

Nightwatch is a great late-nite stormy weather tobacco. It is unique, pressed heavy latakia blend that is surprisingly tamer than appearance would dictate. Though tasty, it doesn`t stand out in a crowd as being memorable as others in the Hermit line. Ten Russians is more my style.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Pressed, aged latakia blends of this complexity and integration are rare. Here is a cool smoking blend with no taste collisions that provides an experience unavailable in other English/Balkan blends. An understanding of subtle connections in flavors guided the blender's hand in this eloquently understated event. Simply put, the smoothness of this blend's character is astounding. It burns easily and delivers enjoyment to me from beginning to end. Pity that this notation framework does not allow for a higher rating...

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Inverted Skull

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Long cellaring has produced in this blend the nearly perfect balance that I am always after and a sufficient "complexity" to maintain my interest. While it does not give me the impression of different flavors bouncing off each other, it does have a good latakia based flavor bolstered well by orientals and virginias. The cake is at this age very well integrated and beautifully constructed. I just broke off a piece and pushed it into my gr 4 sized reading pipe, a century plus old meer with 8 inch bone stem and horn bit. The age of both the blend and the pipe lent the whole enterprise an air of ancient leisure, allowing the smoke to be the focal point of a very pleasant hour. Highly recommended even tho there are seventeen thousand other good English blends out there. Nice job Jay.

steven109 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steven109 (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

not an every day blend for me due to the cost factor ($12 at allegheny smoke works) and theres a bit too much in latakia for my taste i mainly smoke aromatics but it certainly goes well after a rough days of work. if you love latakia or want a stronger blend every so often this blend is perfect.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent blend, however in my humble opinion Captain Earle's Private Stock is slightly better. Burns well and steady until white ash.

My rate: 4.8

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I tend to agree with one of my fellow reviewers here who says Nightwatch is a fairly pedestrian blend not unlike many other English lightweights. There was no depth and little variety in the taste as the bowl was consumed. I was also a bit put off by so many stems mixed in with the leaf.

I suppose this one will make other pipesters happy, but after just three bowls, I've determined that life is too short to pursue this one any further.

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Tolerable

One of the gentlemen from my pipe club had a large jar of this Latakia Delight.I sampled a bowlful and enjoyed it.I would loosely compare it to the Frog Morton on the town blend by McClellands.Later that week I placed an order to Hermit for this blend and two others I wished to try.I'm going to try cellaring it for a couple of years.It should mellow nicely.If you're a fan of potent latakia mixtures order yours today from http://www.pipestyle.com Highly Recommended! prep

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

A nice , smokable latakia blend , but not very remarkable or unique . It's good , but does not find a place in my cellar becasue it is to much like so many others in my cellar . I'd happily smoke it though .