Captain Earle's Nightwatch is deep, rich and full of smoky latakia. This old fashioned Crumble Cake is the perfect blend for those quiet, contemplative moments whether standing the night watch on the deck of a clipper ship or in the comfort of your study.

BrandHermit Tobacco Works Co.
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsLatakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 ounce and 8 ounce tins
Strength
Taste
Full

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (13)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've spent 30 days on Nightwatch, and I really like Captain Earle's company.

I am in a Latakia-centric stage right now. I move a lot between very even English Blends, and straight-up Latakia bombs. I am not turned off by the singularity of the Captain Earle taste at all. To be truthful, I could not survive just smoking Latakia heavy, dark blends like this. I need different tastes and blends. But without a doubt, on a daily basis, I just want a salty earth, man-smoke. This is when I reach for Captain Earle.

Right now, Ten Russians is my favorite tobacco. However, I cannot just set and forget Ten Russians, as it is too strong, and if I just puff away mindlessly, I get overloaded.

When I want my singular, Latakia-bomb fix, and I want to treat it as an all day smoke, I pack Nightwatch. Over the last 30 days, Nightwatch has been a true and trusty friend. I foresee it being a part of my cellar for years to come.

If you are a Frog Morton lover, you should dig on Nightwatch.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (53)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Long cellaring has produced in this blend the nearly perfect balance that I am always after and a sufficient "complexity" to maintain my interest. While it does not give me the impression of different flavors bouncing off each other, it does have a good latakia based flavor bolstered well by orientals and virginias. The cake is at this age very well integrated and beautifully constructed. I just broke off a piece and pushed it into my gr 4 sized reading pipe, a century plus old meer with 8 inch bone stem and horn bit. The age of both the blend and the pipe lent the whole enterprise an air of ancient leisure, allowing the smoke to be the focal point of a very pleasant hour. Highly recommended even tho there are seventeen thousand other good English blends out there. Nice job Jay.

I do not agree at all with one of my fellow reviewers here who says Nightwatch is a fairly pedestrian blend not unlike many other English lightweights. There was plenty of depth and variety in the taste as the bowl was consumed. I admit that I was also a bit put off by so many stems mixed in with the leaf, but could overlook that little fault.

Life's too short not to give this one a try.

Pipestud

Life's too short not to give this one a try.

Pipestud

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

A good straight forward Lat. blend. The lat. is definitely the leading player here. The VA's offer a subtle sweetness but it is far from a sweet tobacco to me. The Turkish plays less in this blend and I only occasionally can pick them up. This is another good blend for doing other things while smoking. It does not bite and while it does have some complex elements here and there it really does not require much attention. Yet something about it remains enjoyable and far from boring.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earl's - Nightwatch.

The tin contains one block of kake, a bows worth can just be pinched off, it can be smoked without airing (well, my first bowl was fresh), and the smoke is fabulous.

The lighting of Nightwatch only requires a short-ish touch of the flame, and then the burn's of a good quality. The temperature from it's Latakia-cool, and the flavour, whoa, the flavour's immense! There's no doubt about which leaf accounts for the most flavour: the Latakia. It gives rich, smoky, odoriferous, leathery, flavour; class A. It seems to me the Perique takes the role of second in charge: it adds a deep fruitiness, but isn't quite as heady. The Virginia sweetens the mix, but a slight sweetness is about its only trait.

Nicotine: above medium. Room-note: if you don't like Lat' you'll hate this!

Nightwatch? Four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meer'

Age When Smoked: Four months

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

An honest meat and potatoes blend which goes about it's business in a frank manner ideally suited for cold snowy nights after the world has retired.

Plenty of Latakia and Perique with the Virginias and Turkish in a minor supporting role with even combustion and fairly cool. Uncle Nic was rather well behaved too, a pleasant surprise actually. The best part for me was the oily mouthfeel, not drying whatsoever; lipsmackin'.

I'm glad to try it again since it's been many years. Recommended as being quite good but not praise worthy, I won't be buying tins for the cellar Stimulus Package being my preference.

getyur@sstomars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
getyur@sstomars (5)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

wow, that was my first impression. just flat out wow! very rarely do fall inlove at first puff, some of my favorite tobaccos had to grow on my, and honestly the only blends that got me at first puff are Balkin sobranie (bad speller) dunhill flake and this.

now its pretty lat forward, but done very tastefully, and its not an in-depth flavor which to me is good for when i working around the house or doing stuff in general. also smokes real cool and thats also good when you got your mind on the task at hand.

flavor wise what i does have it has in spades. to me the addition of perique to any type of blend kind of help to reel in the the flavor profile you know, kinda muddy up the waters some, and especially with lat blends.

i like it so much its in my top 7 blends, will be smoked a few times a day, and will always have a few 8 oz tins in the cellar. try it you wont be disapointed.

Pipe Used: cob,flacon,

Purchased From: smoking pipes (these guys rock)

gahdzila Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gahdzila (60)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Black with brown speckles, crumble cake. Easier prep than the other two Captain Earle's I've tried so far.

This is a nice smooth latakia forward blend. Latakia is clearly the highlight of this blend - not overpoweringly strong, but the most forward flavor. I do not pick up the advertised perique at all. The orientals and Virginias are there, but they are subdued and don't sing. And that's about it.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Nightwatch. In fact, I'd say it's quite good. But, lacking the sweet notes of Stimulus Package and the enormous complexity of Ten Russians, it seems to me to be rather pedestrian comparatively. Nothing about it makes it stand out in the crowd. Nightwatch is just as good as many of its peers in this genre, perhaps better than some, but not as good as others that are already favorites of mine. I'll have no problem whatsoever finishing this sample, but I doubt I'll buy more.

Gus55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus55 (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first blend I ever tried. tasted like mud. having now smoked other blends Dunhill 965, EMP, London mixture etc. I came back to this one again. Still tastes like mud !

Pipe Used: Dunhill straight billard, Castello billard, Ashton

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Just mud !Yuck.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent blend, however in my humble opinion Captain Earle's Private Stock is slightly better. Burns well and steady until white ash.

My rate: 4.8