A robust spicy flake of smoky Kentucky Fire Cured, and Burley leaf. Rich and smooth with an earthy sweet flavor.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Medium
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Watch City Slices is a mix of Burley and Dark Fired and Virgina. The flakes are thick and for me too thick to fold and stuff. I rubbed out the flake and let it dry for a few minutes. The Dark Fired is what distinguishes this flake for me. It gives WCS a unique flavor. Off the top of my head, the other flake that I smoke with dark fired it Solani Silver Flake, but unlike WCS, that is topped and mutes the dark fired unlike this blend. I get a slight sweetness from WCS, but not as much nutty Burley flavor as I had expected, as it is more earthy than nutty. The Virginia for me is in the background. The nic hit is about medium. This tobacco combination reminds me a little bit of some of the Gawith Hoggarth blends although not as strong as GH. I have to admit that this isn’t my favorite of the many great blends made by Watch City, but regular Burley smokers (of which I am not) may think differently. I think that this flake will benefit from some additional aging, bringing up the Virginias a little and for my personal taste on that basis, I would recommend WCS.

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I have been looking for a replacement for Wilke's Nut Brown Burley which has been discontinued by Pipeworks and Wilke so I am on the holy grail burley quest. Uhle's blend #44 is the closest I have found so far but I am so happy I found Watch City and its great Slices blend. Burley, Dark Fired and Virginia pressed together into a thick flake that when rubbed out acts like a Crumble Cake from C&D. The pouch aroma is Dark Rum and that lovely Oatmeal aroma that the finest Burleys have. This is super similar to Hearth and Home's Classic Burley Cake with added Dark Rum topping. Man I think the three best Burleys offered in our generation are (in no specific order) Uhle's , Watch City Cigar and L . J Peretti's. Pipeworks and Wilke had my favorite bulk Burley but alas Carole discontinued that age old blend of mine. I am SO surprised more Burleyphiles like myself haven't tried this companies Burley... Their only one of a handful of small pipe shops that still hand make their flakes... Fantastic!!!

Pipe Used: Cobs , no name Italian briar

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home - Classic Burley Kake (Signature Series), Edgeworth - Edgeworth Sliced, Solani - 656: Aged Burley Flake.