A robust spicy flake of smoky Kentucky Fire Cured, and Burley leaf. Rich and smooth with an earthy sweet flavor.

BrandWatch City Cigar
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild, Medium
Taste

3.8
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Picked up a 2 oz sample of this mottled crumb cake that I quickly parlayed into a pound purchase. Aroma was of excellent burley with a hint of cocoa. Nice rich earthy aroma. But that was nothing compared to the taste.

Ernie Q has to be considered in the top echelon of U.S blenders (I have a bunch more WC blends to finish) and yet his blends seem to be mostly unknown outside the northeast. This blend merges burley with Kentucky and the results are sublime beyond my imagination, sublime being a descriptor I don't normally associate with those components. The flavor is rich and bold but not heavy. I wouldn't exactly call it a nutty flavor - more earthy and simply "tobacco-y". It's hugely flavorful but not intrusive, and probably the best all-day smoke I can imagine for the burley fanatic. It's my new reference. From a guy few people have heard of. Who would have thought? The respect for the leaf Ernie appears to have is almost peerless (Uhle would be the closest IMHO). This is one of the few blends that caused me to smoke multiple consecutive bowls - it's addictive! If you live and breathe for the taste of burley, you owe it to yourself to get some of this. The finest burley I've ever smoked. The direction I'm going is that with this and Watch City's "Deluxe Crumb Cut", I just may eschew all other burleys. Yeah, this guy is good!

Watch City Slices is a mix of Burley and Dark Fired and Virgina. The flakes are thick and for me too thick to fold and stuff. I rubbed out the flake and let it dry for a few minutes. The Dark Fired is what distinguishes this flake for me. It gives WCS a unique flavor. Off the top of my head, the other flake that I smoke with dark fired it Solani Silver Flake, but unlike WCS, that is topped and mutes the dark fired unlike this blend. I get a slight sweetness from WCS, but not as much nutty Burley flavor as I had expected, as it is more earthy than nutty. The Virginia for me is in the background. The nic hit is about medium. This tobacco combination reminds me a little bit of some of the Gawith Hoggarth blends although not as strong as GH. I have to admit that this isn’t my favorite of the many great blends made by Watch City, but regular Burley smokers (of which I am not) may think differently. I think that this flake will benefit from some additional aging, bringing up the Virginias a little and for my personal taste on that basis, I would recommend WCS.

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

I purchased 4 ounces of Watch City Slices based on the previous reviews. I am a Burley smoker 99% of the time. My daily favorites are Aged Burley Flake, Irish Flake, Wessex Burley Slice.

I would say that WCS is more of a crumble cake and not a true slice, and that's perfectly fine by me. The tobacco was on the lighter side of medium brown and had a delightful smell of dark rum and what smelled like the burnt edges of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies emanating from each of the two 2 ounce baggies. It was very soft to the touch and not moist in a wet way. Crumbling up some pieces for my pipe was very easy to accomplish as was loading and lighting. As a Burley smoker, WCS is much milder than my three previously mentioned favorites. It reminded me of Sutliff's Breckinridge in this regard, although Breckinridge has no rum casing. WCS smoked evenly, dry, and without moisture, goop, or bite (even with fast puffing) to the end of the bowl. There was no appreciable nicotine presence as with my three favs. The rum presence while smoking was never overbearing, and along with the slight taste of burnt cookies provided a nice background sweetness throughout. If that burnt smell/taste was from the Kentucky, it was unlike any Kentucky I ever smoked and a big bravo to that trick! The room note was of sweet smelling tobacco in the tradition of the best in Codger Burleys; an older version of Granger coming to mind (1970s). As a matter of fact, and I know I have said this about Breckinridge, WCS is what a good Codger Burley should be like.

This can be smoked as a "set it and forget it" smoke while puttering around the house, reading a good book, or watching a movie. A very comforting smoke. I would recommend this to those who find Burley too harsh or sour tasting. It was not nut-like to my tastes, and although its tobacco tasting presence was milder than what I am used too, and enjoy in a good Burley, I found the smoking experience quite enjoyable. I believe this to be a good starter for those wanting to try a Burley based tobacco but are put off by many of the nasty attributes of a poorly produced Burley. Good price point too, 2 ounces less expensive than 1 3/4 oz (50gms) of any of my three favs. Highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Peterson Rusticated Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: fresh from bag

Purchased From: Watch City Cigars

Similar Blends: Sutliff Breckinridge, Granger (not the newer, harsh and chemical version, but what was produced in the 1970s).

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (102)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I have been looking for a replacement for Wilke's Nut Brown Burley which has been discontinued by Pipeworks and Wilke so I am on the holy grail burley quest. Uhle's blend #44 is the closest I have found so far but I am so happy I found Watch City and its great Slices blend. Burley, Dark Fired and Virginia pressed together into a thick flake that when rubbed out acts like a Crumble Cake from C&D. The pouch aroma is Dark Rum and that lovely Oatmeal aroma that the finest Burleys have. This is super similar to Hearth and Home's Classic Burley Cake with added Dark Rum topping. Man I think the three best Burleys offered in our generation are (in no specific order) Uhle's , Watch City Cigar and L . J Peretti's. Pipeworks and Wilke had my favorite bulk Burley but alas Carole discontinued that age old blend of mine. I am SO surprised more Burleyphiles like myself haven't tried this companies Burley... Their only one of a handful of small pipe shops that still hand make their flakes... Fantastic!!!

Pipe Used: Cobs , no name Italian briar

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

Similar Blends: Hearth & Home - Classic Burley Kake (Signature Series), Edgeworth - Edgeworth Sliced, Solani - 656: Aged Burley Flake.