Sweet blended with vanilla and cocoa.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this by accident when ordering Scotch Flake and was about to send it back. It smelled strongly of chocolate and I wasn't sure I would care for it, but being a GH&Co. junky I decided to give it a whirl.

Wow, what a find! Even more chocolaty than Bob's Chocolate, it nevertheless has the full tobacco taste one expects of GH&Co. Virginias. Smooth as butter, sweet to the end of the bowl, nothing left but beautiful white ash, the mark of the finest tobaccos. It's light on the Lakeland but there's a bit of it there, and the vanilla seems part of the chocolate flavor, rather than a freestanding essence of its own.

I had ordered a 500gr brick and I'm keeping it! Excellent!

Mostly dark brown and very long flakes that smelled of chocolate in the bag. This is based on about 1/2 oz, as I bought an ounce to use to blind test someone (who guessed Bob's Chocolate Flake - not a bad guess!). This stuff is made for fold and stuff but required a bit of maneuvering due to its length. But it was best loaded in that manner.

It's been awhile since I've smoked Bob's Choc Flake, as I strongly prefer the SG version. But this seemed more chocolately than BCF, the lack of flavor being why I didn't care for it. This adds a wisp of vanilla in the flavor profile that comes and goes. Also it has the standard Lakeland essence. The Scotch Flake non-aro was quite different, having much, much lighter flavorings. But once again, G&H shows how to make an aromatic pipe tobacco that doesn't skimp on the flavoring and definitely doesn't push the tobacco taste away. Indeed, this is more tobacco than flavoring, which is my preference in pipe tobacco since, after all, I'm smoking it and not eating it. Not short on true tobacco taste, this one, but still aromatic enough to smoke around non-smokers. And the flavoring lasts down the entire bowl, and without adding any chemical flavors. Most U.S blenders could learn a lot from G&H about how to make an aromatic. Good, flavorful blend that rewards the patient smoker, but not a rotation maker for me. Well worth a try, however - 3 strong stars!

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

To be upfront, I found the non-scented version rather boring but I am enjoying the aromatic version (also sold as scented I believe) and consider it a solid smoke. The cocoa, barely but continously present in the bowl, is slightly more present in the room note and gives the solid but (as I said above) slightly uninteresting tobaccos something to play off of. I am sure the vanilla is there supporting the blend, but I didn't detect it on its own. Unlike many blends I rate a three here, I am likely to rebuy this at some point, but still wouldn't have it as part of any regular rotation.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

See review of Scotch Flake as I am fairly certian that SF and SF Aromatic are one in the same. I believe the confussion comes from the fact that the 500gm box, is labeled as "Scotch Flake Aromatic" but according to several industry sources, GH only sells one version of Scotch Flake. I will update if I am able to find out otherwise.