Sweet blended with vanilla and cocoa.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
freestroke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
freestroke (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I received this by accident when ordering Scotch Flake and was about to send it back. It smelled strongly of chocolate and I wasn't sure I would care for it, but being a GH&Co. junky I decided to give it a whirl.

Wow, what a find! Even more chocolaty than Bob's Chocolate, it nevertheless has the full tobacco taste one expects of GH&Co. Virginias. Smooth as butter, sweet to the end of the bowl, nothing left but beautiful white ash, the mark of the finest tobaccos. It's light on the Lakeland but there's a bit of it there, and the vanilla seems part of the chocolate flavor, rather than a freestanding essence of its own.

I had ordered a 500gr brick and I'm keeping it! Excellent!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

See review of Scotch Flake as I am fairly certian that SF and SF Aromatic are one in the same. I believe the confussion comes from the fact that the 500gm box, is labeled as "Scotch Flake Aromatic" but according to several industry sources, GH only sells one version of Scotch Flake. I will update if I am able to find out otherwise.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

To be upfront, I found the non-scented version rather boring but I am enjoying the aromatic version (also sold as scented I believe) and consider it a solid smoke. The cocoa, barely but continously present in the bowl, is slightly more present in the room note and gives the solid but (as I said above) slightly uninteresting tobaccos something to play off of. I am sure the vanilla is there supporting the blend, but I didn't detect it on its own. Unlike many blends I rate a three here, I am likely to rebuy this at some point, but still wouldn't have it as part of any regular rotation.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Purchased From: pipes & cigars