1855 is a ready-rubbed blend of exceptional golden, mature Virginia tobaccos that demonstrates the natural sweet Virginia taste and its pleasant aroma.

Brand4th Generation
Blended ByErik Stokkebye
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.5
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The gold Virginia is grassy, honey and citrus, and fairly smooth smoking, though I wouldn't puff it very fast. It does have a very light spice note at times. Doesn't leave much moisture at all. It requires a few relights, but that's why they make matches and lighters! It might be nothing special if you compare it to complexly mixed blends, but it does all right for a mild to medium uncomplicated all day smoke. Deserves another half star.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

Is this the same as MB Virginia #1? I can't tell a difference and at nearly $5-$6 more it sure as heck isn't worth choosing this over VA #1. Still, my B&M stocks this and all of it there is from 2012 and they don't stock Mac Barens (?) and I do enjoy this so I can give it a good rating but can't recommend it.

Purchased From: Kenny the King

Similar Blends: MacBaren Virginia #1.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)

This is a fine smoke in every detail.

But exactly the same can be said of Mac Baren Va. No. 1, which is pretty much identical to 1855 as far as the base tobacco, cut, burning speed, and sweet Virginia flavour and aroma. The only difference is in top note: 1855 has a slightly more fragrant tin aroma which is oddly reminiscent of a Dutch cavendish like Sail. However, once the pipe is underway, that top note fades quickly.

Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is one of my favourite tobaccos. I think it's just about ideal in every regard. So it's impossible for me to dislike 1855. However, I don't see the advantage to pipe smokers of cloning Va. No. 1 with a slightly different top note and then charging an outrageous price for it.

Therefore I can't recommend 1855, given that the excellent Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is still available at such a reasonable price.

UPDATE: Flattering indeed that a plodding police constable has been described as a 'paradox'! I may be slow and steady, but it's nice to know I'm a man of mystery as well.

Only rarely do I deviate from awarding four stars to the tobaccos I review. My take is that most tobaccos have something to commend them, if approached the right way. Reviews can be especially helpful if they point out factors we might be overlooking. There's the chance we'll discover that an ugly duckling, in the right setting, can become a beautiful swan. And then we've really gained something, by adding to the enjoyment of life.

So it takes exceptional motivation for me to give a low rating to a pipe tobacco. But I am willing to do so in this case.

Since I hold both Mac Baren and Stokkebye in very high regard, it was disappointing to see such a corporate approach taken to the 4th Generation line. I don't fault the blenders, but rather the business thinking behind it. Instead of launching an innovative series of new high-quality blends, they simply created minor variations of existing products. The prices were hiked dramatically, and then a PR blitz followed to stimulate sales and profits. Very corporate. And not very flattering to us pipe smokers. "Pipe smokers are a great deal cleverer than that," we said, tapping our collective noses lightly on the side.

And comparisons of 1855 to Va. No. 1 are not made lightly. The latter is my staple, and I've smoked dozens of pounds of it. The leaf has marvelous qualities. Over time one becomes familiar with its many subtle nuances. So my critique wasn't made lightly or incautiously.

And the 1897 and 1957 are so close to the Mac Baren 7 Seas line (Royal and Gold, respectively) as to cause head scratching. All are fine blends in their own right, but the 4th-Generation variants are dismaying in light of their price, especially compared to the economical 7 Seas line.

Pipe Used: Bjarne

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1, Villiger - Late Night (1888).

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (21)

The man who gave this a 1 star review is a paradox. He raves about Mac Baren's VA no.1 and claims that this blend is almost identical, then gives it 1 star. Yes, it is nearly identical to VA no. 1, but it is NOT the same blend. To me, this 1855 is like a higher grade version of VA#1. It's not as prone to biting your tongue (though all VA's should be sipped slowly). It is slightly creamier, yet has that same delicious hay-like honeyed sweetness. I LOVE THIS STUFF. If I had to pick one tobacco to smoke the rest of my life, this just might be it- right up there with Dunhill Flake and Orlik. Highly recommended for patient experienced VA smokers. Some complain about the price, but keep in mind these tins are double the size of your standard tin. Buy some!

Pipe Used: Peterson Meerschaum, MM Cob, Aldo Velani Milano

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

Similar Blends: Mac Baren VA#1.