1855 is a ready-rubbed blend of exceptional golden, mature Virginia tobaccos that demonstrates the natural sweet Virginia taste and its pleasant aroma.

BrandErik Stokkebye
Blended ByErik Stokkebye
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
2.7
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The gold Virginia is grassy, honey and citrus, and fairly smooth smoking, though I wouldn't puff it very fast. It does have a very light spice note at times. Doesn't leave much moisture at all. It requires a few relights, but that's why they make matches and lighters! It might be nothing special if you compare it to complexly mixed blends, but it does all right for a mild to medium uncomplicated all day smoke. Deserves another half star.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

Is this the same as MB Virginia #1? I can't tell a difference and at nearly $5-$6 more it sure as heck isn't worth choosing this over VA #1. Still, my B&M stocks this and all of it there is from 2012 and they don't stock Mac Barens (?) and I do enjoy this so I can give it a good rating but can't recommend it.

Purchased From: Kenny the King

Similar Blends: MacBaren Virginia #1.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (42)

This is a fine smoke in every detail.

But exactly the same can be said of Mac Baren Va. No. 1, which is pretty much identical to 1855 as far as the base tobacco, cut, burning speed, and sweet Virginia flavour and aroma. The only difference is in top note: 1855 has a slightly more fragrant tin aroma which is oddly reminiscent of a Dutch cavendish like Sail. However, once the pipe is underway, that top note fades quickly.

Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is one of my favourite tobaccos. I think it's just about ideal in every regard. So it's impossible for me to dislike 1855. However, I don't see the advantage to pipe smokers of cloning Va. No. 1 with a slightly different top note and then charging an outrageous price for it.

Therefore I can't recommend 1855, given that the excellent Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is still available at such a reasonable price.

UPDATE: Flattering indeed that a plodding police constable has been described as a 'paradox'! I may be slow and steady, but it's nice to know I'm a man of mystery as well.

Only rarely do I deviate from awarding four stars to the tobaccos I review. My take is that most tobaccos have something to commend them, if approached the right way. Reviews can be especially helpful if they point out factors we might be overlooking. There's the chance we'll discover that an ugly duckling, in the right setting, can become a beautiful swan. And then we've really gained something, by adding to the enjoyment of life.

So it takes exceptional motivation for me to give a low rating to a pipe tobacco. But I am willing to do so in this case.

Since I hold both Mac Baren and Stokkebye in very high regard, it was disappointing to see such a corporate approach taken to the 4th Generation line. I don't fault the blenders, but rather the business thinking behind it. Instead of launching an innovative series of new high-quality blends, they simply created minor variations of existing products. The prices were hiked dramatically, and then a PR blitz followed to stimulate sales and profits. Very corporate. And not very flattering to us pipe smokers. "Pipe smokers are a great deal cleverer than that," we said, tapping our collective noses lightly on the side.

And comparisons of 1855 to Va. No. 1 are not made lightly. The latter is my staple, and I've smoked dozens of pounds of it. The leaf has marvelous qualities. Over time one becomes familiar with its many subtle nuances. So my critique wasn't made lightly or incautiously.

And the 1897 and 1957 are so close to the Mac Baren 7 Seas line (Royal and Gold, respectively) as to cause head scratching. All are fine blends in their own right, but the 4th-Generation variants are dismaying in light of their price, especially compared to the economical 7 Seas line.

Pipe Used: Bjarne

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Virginia No.1, Villiger - Late Night (1888).

This was a gift from a friend. I had perhaps 50 g total, and it was a little dry. I hydrated it before smoking. It is a mostly rubbed out flake in appearance. It packed and burned well. I found it easy to sip.

This is a very good yellow/gold Virginia with a light topping. I got mild citrus/sweet with a little hay when smoked. There is a very mild top note that may be honey with a little spice. It is a great combination and falls in the same camp as Virginia No. 1 and Capstan Yellow for me. I might have to smoke them side by side to identify differences. My sense is that the topping is similar to Virginia No. 1 but there is less of it.

If you want to try a lighter Virginia with (almost) no topping, this would be an excellent choice. It is easy to recommend.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (27)

The man who gave this a 1 star review is a paradox. He raves about Mac Baren's VA no.1 and claims that this blend is almost identical, then gives it 1 star. Yes, it is nearly identical to VA no. 1, but it is NOT the same blend. To me, this 1855 is like a higher grade version of VA#1. It's not as prone to biting your tongue (though all VA's should be sipped slowly). It is slightly creamier, yet has that same delicious hay-like honeyed sweetness. I LOVE THIS STUFF. If I had to pick one tobacco to smoke the rest of my life, this just might be it- right up there with Dunhill Flake and Orlik. Highly recommended for patient experienced VA smokers. Some complain about the price, but keep in mind these tins are double the size of your standard tin. Buy some!

Pipe Used: Peterson Meerschaum, MM Cob, Aldo Velani Milano

Age When Smoked: 1.5 years

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

Similar Blends: Mac Baren VA#1.

shintangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shintangle (1)

This is a very tasty Virginia. I like to smoke it in a cob with a cup of strong black coffee in the morning. The bitterness of the coffee contrasts nicely and brings to the front the rich sweet taste of this fine tobacco. It is the tobacco I reach for first every morning. I like this tobacco and highly recommend it.

I am sorry, I have tried this blend in several different pipes and in different kinds of pipes such as meers, briars, corn cobs, etc and I just can't get excited about it. There are a lot of VA blends out there that just have a better taste than this one and I enjoy more. It is not a bad blend, just average at best. To me it tastes more like a Va cigarette tobacco more than a good pipe tobacco. It does have a nice sweet pouch aroma and made my mouth water smelling it. It is all a long cut ribbon and is all golden in color. It is a little on the dry side and it does pack and light very easily. It has pretty much the standard fresh hay like flavor and room note common in a lot of straight Va's, but that is just it. It is like a lot of other run of the mill Va's out there with a much higher price. Nothing about it made me stop and take notice. I did not dislike it and I have smoked all the bowls I have smoked all the way down to a nice dry grey ash with little dottle, so I do have that to say about it, it does smoke nice and dry to the end. Would I smoke a pound of this blend if given it, yes. Would I buy a pound of this to smoke, absolutely not! So I can only rate this one as two stars out of four.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (42)

The previous review is spot on: this is a fine smoke in every detail.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (141)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the straight bright Virginia in Erik's new line. It appears as a fully rubbed out flake. Many thick ribbons. Smells haylike in the tin.

Easy to pack and keep lit. No bite to me (if you control the cadence). Nice amount of flavor for a straight Virginia. However, I did not find it strong as suggested, either in taste or in nicotine.

It has a natural, refined sweetness to it. Not honey. Again to me it smells and tastes of natural tobacco. Aged sure. I could be fooled but if it had much in the way of additives it would be sensed more I believe.

I remember tasting something similar from I believe Sobranie House some 40 years ago. It was called Virginia something, and it was a finer cut. It was a duller taste but nice. This one is a bit richer, even if not enhanced by condiments.

It also reminds me quite a bit of N.Y. Connoisser's Cavendish, also now gone, but that one may have had a bit more Indonesian oils added.

Very nice tobacco. I had an ounce to sample from Erik a couple of months ago that I much enjoyed, and the several more bowls now from the tin are just as good if not better.

I believe this should be puffed slowly, as with any Virginia, and if you speed up it may lose flavor or become too warm. The flavors are delicate enough to lose in a storm of puffs. That's where the experience suggested comes in.

Best for straight Virginia smokers.