The 'Christmas cake' of all our tobaccos. A very rich, sweet fully flavoured blend. The main feature is the high proportion of naturally sweet sun-cured tobaccos in the blend - over 40% Only 30% Virginia leaf, with the rest of the blend coming from burleys and Dark-air cured contribute to a strong, but rewarding smoke. The whole blend is cased in maple sugars to further enhance the natural sweetness of the sun cured leaf and then rounded off with a dash of rum.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringMaple, Rum
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an old-fashioned tobacco blended in a 19th Century style. I have seen this blend compared with spiced Christmas Cake, but just as a cake is more than just flour, sugar and spices, G&H Rum Flake (GHRF) is more than just tobacco, rum and casings. I've been smoking rum flakes from various blending houses for over 30 years, but GHRF is unlike any other rum flake in my experience--it is unique! This tobacco was my introduction to Gawith & Hoggarth blends some years back. At one point in time I might have given it my highest recommendation, but I have discovered some other G&H blends that I like more.

I give this one 3-stars, but I could sometimes easily elevate that rating to 4-stars--so, let's settle on 3.5-stars. It can on occasion be tempting to smoke too much of this (like eating too much Christmas Cake) and so, due to its kaleidoscope of flavors and its strength, you may find yourself approaching sensory overload--it can become almost mind-numbing. I recommend no more than a pipeful a couple of times a week--in this way you can't lose your taste for this tobacco.

I have enjoyed this tobacco in both bulk and tin forms over the years, but I prefer it in the tin as the flavors are more homogenous, uniform, consistent and complex. (In bulk form some of the "rum" and sugars have a tendency to bleed off.)

This is a rich flake that provides a fairly potent nicotine punch. It is not as strong as most of the ropes and twists, but it is one of the stronger flake offerings. Its herbal, floral, sugar, and spice elements (that include a pretty fair touch of black licorice extract) merge with the tobacco flavors to create a mosaic of very interesting tastes. These toppings never overwhelm the tobacco; they act to supplement the tobaccos adding additional dimension. The sugar and spices are simply necessary ingredients in the recipe. To my tastes these herbals and spices are not quite as forward and strong as in a few of the other G&H scented varieties, but there is a lot happening.

I freely admit that I enjoyed this blend from the very first puff, but I didn't fully appreciate how good it was until about the 3rd bowl. It's like that with many of the G&H tobaccos; they don't display everything they have to offer on the very first bowl. This is a very interesting, but not quite fascinating blend. Rum Flakes, in general, seem to be relatively straightforward and not overly complex--GHRF is the noteworthy exception.

I'm not sure whether it's due to the steam processing, additional cooking, or establishing and maintaining the proper moisture content in the finished tobaccos (I suspect a combination of these factors), but most of the G&H tobaccos seem less inclined to bite! They smoke relatively COOL!!

LATE NOTE: I advise against smoking this in a briar (unless it's a briar reserved for this blend) because the "spice" elements can really get into the wood.

Pipe Used: Reserved for Meerschaums & Clays

Purchased From: Various

Similar Blends: ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE...THIS IS UNIQUE.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild to Medium Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

This is actually a pretty good blend, but one I probably won't smoke again. It has a wonderful aroma and nice, albeit mild flavor. It is a bit like a cup of coffee, bitter-sweet with the occasional maple note from the casing enhancing it. Unfortunately, it is simply too mild for me flavor wise and I'll probably go back to my bosun cut plug. This is a good tobacco, just not for me.

Update: It became more bitey and the taste went flat, going to have to down this a star.

JESTRAB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JESTRAB (10)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Not a bad tobacco. Provides full smoke, burns cool. However, the taste is not well balanced for me and a small hint of lakeland 'soapy' flavour does not really support rest of the casing. Would still recommend to try as it is interesting and definetly good quality tobacco. But I will probably not buy it again.

Talonr1701 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Talonr1701 (119)

Ok, While this had a great burley base a wonderful virgina (G&H and Gawith make great virginia flakes...)taste.....I'm the party crasher. Maybe it was my tin, or I underestimate the floral casing....It just wasn't for me. The tin was presented beatifully. the flakes perfect. The tin aroma was great Anise and Rum.....I sooooo wanted to like it. Once this got burning....there was that weird fake floral taste. Be warned and enjoy....

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, has a slight Sweet Taste, enjoyable smoke

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium Pleasant

Have been wanting to try this for a while now, and I'm glad I did.

A real old fashioned traditional pipers sweet flake is this. Quite sweet, but very flavourful without impinging on the underlying tobacco taste which is surprisingly firm. It isn't overly floral IMO, less so than some of its other stable mates.

Will be getting more of this to jar, and it will become a staple go to blend that will be ever present on my list of regulars. Probably one of my top 5 without a doubt.

Highly recommended if you're after a traditional sweet flake that has some good nic.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)

Lakeland Tour Stop 17

As with all G&H flakes, this was an even thickness (very thin), easily rubbed out and burned very well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The tobacco quality is obviously top-notch, as always. But I can't seem to get into any of these flakes. There's always some kind of flavor missmatch with my pallate. I try to be objective, but there are limits. This flake smelled very sweet in the tin, but the smoke was usually quite bitter. A tobacconist of my acquaintence said this tastes like hairspray, and unfortunately that matched my experience as well. Moments, and even substantial portions of bowls, were smoother and more pleasurable; however it usually left me thinking "If only it were a bit more...." sweet, smooth, whatever. My experience with it was very similar to Brown Flake by Germain. Not surprisingly, since I know a guy who loves both. So it will match some pallates, and some experienced and sophisticated ones at that. Just not mine. Alas. Better within the genre for my money: Kendal Cream Flake.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The sweetness was quite present, though I couldn't finish the bowl due to the soapy taste. Probably a quality tobacco, but not one I'd buy. Jaybee & Esoxhunter nailed it precisely. Soapy aftertaste ruined the experience.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

G & H has done a great job in preparing this brown flake in ~ 6"x2" bands. I didn't rub them out but still obtained excellent lighting and smoking characteristics. Probably due to the casings, the room aroma received compliments. However, as with other G & H flakes, a soapy taste was present thruout the smoke. In this blend it is not nearly as intense as with their Ennerdale or Scotch Flake, but in my view it is still enough to spoil my pleasure. After some drying due to the high initial moisture content, the soapy influence was reduced. However, I did not detect any rum taste as might be expected from the name. If your looking for a high nicotine, lite soap, tobacco this may be the answer but this blend is too costly for me to purchase and not really enjoy.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This tobacco is certainly a high-quality flake that has received alot of care in the making. Dark brown and rich with large flakes (6" to 7" long), it is very old school in character and a classic Gawith offering.

The rum was not pronounced to me. However, what was pronounced were the other flavoring agents. It had that characteristic "flowery/anise" flavor found in many Kendall style tobaccos, albeit a bit less than some. I typically don't care much for that taste which is the reason I was not thrilled with this tobacco. However, for those of you who are, try this as I suspect you will love it.

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

September 2004

Like Bob's Chocolate Flake, this is a quality tobacco, but also like BCF, I just can't get past the soapy flavor that seems to dominate everything else.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (24)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The batch of Rum Flake I have been smoking is pretty old. The light tan flakes are now a much darker shade. In the jar, the smell of rum is strong and sweet. I lightly rubbed out the flakes before packing. The flavor is medium to full. Because of the age, I get a mild sweetness with a bit of Lakeland soapy and floral flavor, but the soapy flavor seems to come in and out through each smoke, but it isn’t constant. Even though I smelled the rum in the jar, I didn’t taste any of it in the pipe. Rum Flake has no bite at all, but I don’t know if that was due to the age of the tobacco. I really enjoyed the sweet floral taste of Rum Flake, but I have grown tired of the soapy flavor and that kind of ruins it for me. I am not saying I would come back to this because I used to really like it, but for now I can only somewhat recommend it.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

After reading the reviews and the description, I'm not sure I got the right tobacco.

I found no trace of Lakeland florals, in either the bag aroma or the taste. There was very little sweetness and what little there was burned away before I got 1/3 of the way down the bowl. What remained was a moderately robust flavor that turned ashy. I was expecting considerably more sweetness and that may have biased me against this blend, but I think my expectations were justified based on the previous reviews. I would classify this tobacco as something to try but quite a disappointment to me. Certainly this is no "Christmas Cake". What it is to my tastebuds is a mostly non-descript mish-mash of tobaccos with a casing that was watered down the day my batch was produced.

This seems to have a following so by all means try it if it interests you. I may try it again someday but not anytime soon.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I bought half an ounce (12.5 grams) of Rum Flake at the suggestion of a friend, who loves it. I see that several previous reviewers have rated it highly, and it may be that I haven't really given it a fair trial; but I have to say that I found it rather a disappointment. I don't hate it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any more of it.

The pouch aroma is just plain gorgeous; 'Christmas cake' in the manufacturer's blurb is a very apt metaphor. But this is a tobacco that promises a good deal more than it delivers: the aroma doesn't (in my experience so far) carry over into the smoke to any noticeable degree. After the first couple of puffs, there's nothing much to distinguish RF from (say) G & H's Brown Flake; though, thanks to the sugary casing, it's inclined to smoke a bit hot.

RF is all right, and I don't mind recommending it to people who like G & H or SG flakes. It's a pleasant enough smoke if you don't rush it, and not too strong in terms of nicotine content. Nothing to write home about, though.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If Mac Baren made a 'full' mixture that didn't bite this would be it.

Updated 08/05

I've changed the way I smoke this tobacco. I no longer roll the flake; I cut it up with scissors into small pieces and then further rub it out until it's almost powder. The depth of the flavor is more abundant to me when prepared in this fashion which results in a mellow and even more "round" full smoke. I will also let the flake dry on a plate before cutting and rubbing out vigorously.

Oddly enough, this tobacco has a hint of that "soapy" flavor that one finds in many of these Lakeland style flakes. It's not overwhelming, it's kind of charming. I will be smoking the bowl and all of a sudden I'll get an awareness of that 'taste' and then it's gone.

The tobacco burns slow, cool and dry. The nicotine edge that this tobacco has is just right - it's not over the top like Dark Flake and it's a little less pronounced in nicotine than the Kendal Flake is.

A friend of mine in Florida introduced me to this tobacco. He's a former cigarette smoker and has sworn by this tobacco for several years. Once when we swapped pipes he sent me a sample of this and I laughed at him! No way would I put this foul 'soapy' stuff in my pipe! But being an adventurist (and former cigarette smoker) I decided to try it and was simply amazed.

The sweetness of the maple in the tobacco is like Mac Baren on steriods but not in an aromatic way. Rum Flake smokes all the way down, just like it started - a very steady and heady smoke. No wet smoke, just let the flakes dry out a bit before loading.

A buddy of mine (at the Chicago Pipe Show) filled up a pipe with this. He told me that he (a cigarette smoker) had a problem with blends biting his tongue. After finishing the bowl he came up to tell me that this blend was wonderful - and he bought a couple of 'bricks' of it to take home. He came up to me the next day to thank me for introducing this to him.

I keep this on hand at all times, it's highly underrated but it does have a hint of that soapy flavor that so many abhor.

Unique and Thoroughly Enjoyable!

Very Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

How anyone could not like this stuff is beyond me. It's one of the few virginia blends that has such a good taste and fullness that I don't feel the need to be a fast puffer. I think it is an excellent blend! It has a full delicious slightly fruity taste from the very start, and just gets better as you work down the bowl. When I got to the bottom I was tempted to reload and go again. It leaves absolutely no tongue bite, at all, could very well be an all day blend and it left a great taste in my mouth. I had it with dark roast coffee and was in heaven. I will for sure keep this on hand all the time. It may become my go to tobacco. Try it, I highly reccommend!

CapnStuby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CapnStuby (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is a flake, so this review assumes that you can smoke flake properly.

When you see this in the tin, wrapped in the plastic baggy, you might be disappointed...but when you pop the tape seal, you're hit with a deep, rich, plummy, rummy smell and you can see the darkness and complexity of the flake slices...a good sign!

When you've packed your pipe properly, be prepared for a cool, rich, deep, complex and varied smoke that gives forth clouds of smoke spiced with LIGHT scents of vanilla and rum, but doesn't bite the tongue or flare up in the pipe. Slow, steady smoking will bring a swirling mix of the casing (rum, vanilla, licorice) to your senses and delight you every minute! It burns down to clean, dry ash and lingers in the nose like a pleasant shot of rum and soft vanilla ice cream. EXCELLENT!

This is a wonderful tobacco and is going into the regular rotation. The people I was around like it, too!

This is nothing but an elegant aromatic with enough tobacco flavor to satisfy anyone, anytime.

HIGHLY recommended!!!

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

i purchased 4 oz of bulk from the host here and after a few bowls the jury is still out on exactly what this blend is. It smells like some Macbaren stuff... Burley london blend for example... It has a nice taste and yes I do taste that floral flavor most people mention from time to time. It got a little warm if pushed but flavor is just as intense at the first puff as it is at the end of the bowl. Something in this keeps me from saying yahoo but something in it makes me want to cellar some for later.. Like I said I just cant call it for sure.

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Is there such a thing as a bad flake from Gawith & Hogarth? If there is, I have yet to discover it. I have not tried any of their full strength offerings, as that type of thing is not really my bag.

I normally try and avoid tobaccos with any sort of casing or flavouring, but sailors have added rum to tobacco since ancient times, so I felt I should give this one a go. Having said that, I don't feel I should welcome the taste of rum first thing in the morning!

Well, it is simply outstanding and I recommend it wholeheartedly. It never overheats the pipe and smokes beautifully right to the end of bowl, which should appeal to the more thrifty amongst you. The quality is instantly apparent from the moment you light your pipe.

What is the perfect medium flake? Is it British, from the Old South, or could it possibly be Danish?

This is a first class tobacco with which to sweeten your by now, thoroughly confused briars. Even my most hated Dunhill Pot, seems to have taken on a new lease of life!

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Whether you are a smoker of virginias, va/per, or aromatics, you will probably like this flake. The charactaristic lakeland taste and aroma is nearly absent, definitely unnoticable. What comes through is a fairly sweet, slightly spicy tobacco taste. The strong rum smell present in the tobacco before lighting only just comes through in taste at the beginning of the bowl. After that, it seems simply to add depth to the natural sweetness of the tobacco itself.

I've always been impressed with the quality of G&H, even in their offerings that I didn't particularly care for. There is no denying that the tobacco is of the highest quality. And Rum Flake delivers on this with satisfying taste and aroma all the way to the bottom of the bowl. It will not take the place of my favorite smokes, but is definitely in the lineup for a once a week smoke.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This tobacco is interesting. The flavour of the tobacco is much like that of Samuel Gawiths "Best Brown", but is swetened and spiced by the rum and maple sugars. The blending has been carried out most artfully, though, so that the differing flavours are almost impossible to distinguish, but blend together into a wonderful smoking experience.

It lights and burns easily, and smokes dry, with no bite unless puffed too fiercely. Breath smoking is ideal, and brings out the most subtleties of the smoke, but it is certainly more forgiving than the pure virginia flakes. The flavours are complex and interesting, yet mild and unobtrusive- you can sit and really enjoy it, or just puff away at it while doing something else. The flavours are tobaccoey, in the sense of a lightly stoved virginia, and with a sweetish fullness. The rum taste might appear if you really look for it, if you've been smoking it in the same pipe for a while, but really it just lives in the background, to enhance the taste of the tobacco.

I do not find this to be extremely strong, like St Bruno, but it is by no means a weak tobacco. Neither do I detect any soapiness, this is not a scented flake, as such. It is certainly not an aromatic in the vanilla cavendish sense of the word. Well reccomended to virginia flake lovers, or to people who want to try Lake District tobaccos but dislike the heavily scented ones.

++++++++++++++++++++++++Update+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

After enjoying this tobacco it became one of the first baccys that I would buy some more of after finishing a packet. While I lived in Preston this became one of my "staples" in a way few other tobaccos have. I enjoy Latakia, I enjoy Perique, and I enjoy the soapy Lakeland flakes too. But all of those are something I like variety in, while Rum Flake seems to just sit in a category of its own as something I can smoke every day without getting bored of. When I moved down South and couldn't find it in the tobacconists I rather forgot about it, but obtained some by mail order last week. It's still as delicious as I remember, I'll be getting more soon!

Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Very Pleasant

I got this tobacco, along with Bob's chocolate, Black Irish X rope, and Glengarry flake, as a chance to sample some of Gawith's tobaccos. As you will find if you read my other reviews of these tobaccos, this is the only one that really did it for me. This stuff is simply the best aromatic tobacco that I have ever tried. I can't say enough good stuff about it. While I could recognize that Bob's and Glenngary were of excellent quality, it was the flavoring components that didn't appeal to my personal tastes. Not so with this tobac! The flavor of maple sugar along with sweet Virginia and nutty Burley were perfect. I know that there is supposed to be rum in the mix but it really doesn't seem to be there. I think they should rename it Maple Flake. The casings never cover up the taste of very high quality tobacco in this blend, and all together it alway's makes me think of that elusive, rich, classic tobacco aroma that we all strive to rediscover. The same aroma that we remember smelling when we were kids and we encountered the smell of grandpa smoking his pipe for the first time. This is a cool smoking blend as well with great burning characterisitics. This stuff is classic and I will never be long without some on hand. That being said, if you are looking for a hearty, rich, and tasty aromatic that still delivers great tobacco taste, take this for a spin. Too rich for all day consumption, it will indeed be a treat on Christmas morning!

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I found this blend to be very flat in tobacco kick and tasteless and the toppong was crap. I felt cheated by Gawith and Hoggarth on this blend and I actually threw this blend out,one nice thing I can say about it...it lights very well like all Gawith blends I've had.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this on a second visit to various Lakeland flakes. This burns great, tastes delicious and complex. Enjoyed it in a small briar then a meerschaum and have stayed with that play. Probably one of the best navy-style flakes I have and will continue to enjoy. The rum is subtle and the other flavorings just seem to work well as the tobacco still rules the experience. It does have a goodly amount of nicotine so not too late at night is better.

juanmedusa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanmedusa (8)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A tobacco description that is absolutely spot on. The taste definitely makes me think of a slice of spiced Christmas cake with rum drizzled over it. It is fuller of taste but not so strong where I would be grabbing a small bowled pipe. I smoke it in a standard size billiard. I don't get Lakeland floral at all but since I smoke Ennerdale and Kendall flakes perhaps I'm less sensitive to it and miss it in it's most minute addition. I highly recommend you try this if it sounds at all interesting to you. personally, I smoke my flakes dried significantly and suggest if you have an unsatisfactory smoke with this tobacco, dry it more and try again before moving on.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

While the flavorings are a little too much on the sweet side for me to be part of any rotation, this was a very good 'holiday' smoke. It also smoked (for me at least) a little on the slow side; a little went a bit longer than most other tobaccos, even other flakes. To my surprise, it also smoked fairly cleanly (no goop, despite being sweet).

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (64)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another solid flake from G&H. This one is just a shade darker in flavor than say Glengarry and the floral notes are a bit more noticeable but never overwhelming. The tin note is that of spiced rum, prunes, honey and an ever so slight sweet-hay almost oat-like grassiness. Charring light brings forth a swell of flavors and an underlying Lakeland floral essence. Throughout the bowl the interplay between the tobacco flavor and the Lakeland aroma is quite excellent. The Lakeland floral flavor seems to come and go with the slightest whim making for slightly more complex aromatic experience than G&H's less perfumey offerings. I don't get much of the rum and maple flavors supposedly used in this, but there is an underlying sweetness that supports the tobacco flavors beautifully. Rum Flake has a very refreshing quality to its flavor. It's fairly full tasting yet smoking it leaves a very light foot print on my palate. So far one of my favorite G&H flakes.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Look down one review. I think it's imporrtant to understand the intent behind the use of flavorings in many of Gawith and Hogwarts blends. As I see it they're neither necessarily supposed to reek of nor strongly taste like the flavor...which is there often to 'take the edge off' a very strong blend or enhance and meld with other Lakeland essences which may or may not be present and to varying degrees. In this sense they are condimental...they 'adjust' the flavors. This is especially true with the flavored twists (whisky, rum, maple, etc.). I also find it to be the case with blends like the Lousiana Flake, in which I can taste a faint Lakeland style floral aroma...but little of the touted Perique. But it's there. Rum Flake is perhaps the sweetest flake that G&H makes. It's fantastic, wonderful stuff. But the flaver reviled by the other reviewer is likely that light rum combined with the lignt Lakeland essence. If you like it...well and good. If not...you claim the rum is from China. Sadly, if you don't like this one you likely won't like other forms of G&H ambrosia...like the already mentioned Lousiana Flake...or Glengarry...or Brown Flake Unscented. Boy...they sure do make some amazing flakes.

Of course, I'm not saying anyone has to like 'em. We all have different tastes...as it should be.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

G&H's Rum Flake sits high on my list of mild or subdued aromatics. Great looking in the tin (or bulk package), Rum Flake arrives as a medium brown, loosely pressed flake. Like most G&H Flakes, it's very easy to work with and versatile enough to allow for several preparations—rubbed out, folded and stuffed, rolled into a plug, etc. Personally, I tend to rub it out because I find that preparation best for releasing the subtle aromatics of the tobacco.

A whole lot of ink has been spilled discussing the flavor profile of this stuff. I think it smells heavenly—a lightly intense mix of rum, raisin, and maple. In the pipe, the maple flavor tends to come to the fore, but the aromatic intensity is sufficiently muted that there are occasions when I forget that I'm smoking an aromatized flake at all. Since I'm also a fan of G&H's Unscented Brown Flake (which may well serve as the tobacco base here), I'm fine with that.

The mildness of the flavoring here really does need stressing, given the name of the tobacco. Smokers looking for either intense rum aromas or intense maple aromas should probably look elsewhere. The maple here is nowhere near as intense as it is in, say, C&D's Autumn Evening, and the rum here is far more subdued that it is in tobaccos like Sutliff's Barbados Plantation or C&D's Blockade Runner. That's all for the best as far as I'm concerned, but others may find Rum Flake to be a misleading title.

As for the complaints about the “Lakeland” scents here: on occasion, I do get a wee hint of something floral, but complaining that this tobacco is heavy in Lakeland scents doesn't strike me as useful. Or true. This is wonderful stuff for smokers who enjoy rich tobacco flavor lightly enhanced with aromatic agents.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I like that description, "Christmas cake" because thats the scense I got upon popping open the tin. Absolutly wonderful fragrance of Rum, brown sugar, licorice and spice jump out of the tin. The flakes themselves glistening with sugars secreting to the surface like a light dusting of snow. Can you taste the drama ? I can. Best of all, it all seemed to transfer into and meld with the smoke perfectly. As an added bonus this is a fairly robust smoke with quality tobaccos. Not your standard mild Cavendish type of aromatic (which I also like). On the other hand its not a knockout type of after midnight power smoke known as Sweet Rum Twist (rope) (I like it too). I would put it in the catagory of "Top shelf afterdinner smoke". Thats when I find it most enjoyable. I've found it to smoke best in flake form, fully dried out to were the flake starts to break up a little when folded and loaded. Then you can take those little pieces that broke off and sprinkle them on top of the bowl for an uber easy lightup. Drying it out is the key for a bite free, powerfull, yet smooth as silk smoking experience.

And to think, I used to believe that life was only about Food, Sex and Breathing.

Camus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camus (15)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Comes as a pressed block with delicious sugar crystals forming on the outside. Smokes rich, deep and sweet with a sublime room note. THIS is why I took up pipe smoking...

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

First of all, I think I'm going to change my screen name to 'ReviewRace'. That's classic! (Please see Pipeline's review of Pipeworks & Wilke Rumcake;-} I was looking at rum blend reviews.

Anyway, this is Gawith's Rum Flake. o.k. First impressions, this is not a good driving tobacco. It is way too subtle and filled with tastey goodness to be ignored while watching out for local idiots on the road.

I had been waiting to try this stuff for a long time. I finally did last week on my drive to work. Where's the sour flowers? I wondered. Is this really a Lakeland product? Well, yes. You can certainly taste the dark air cured leaf, application unmistakably Gawith. And there is the teensiest of hints of Lakelandness once or twice during a bowl. Yes, teensy. But mostly it's a medium to strong virginia/burley flavor with a touch of maple sweetness (and I mean a small touch). It has a smooth spicey round body, and, like my wife, an outstanding room note. It also has a healthy supply for your Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamin N.

Note to Charles Schultz: Happiness is a sack of Rum Flake and a pipe to smoke it in.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

For years I didn't like this stuff, gravitating toward either the more wildly flavored Kendal Flake or toward the darker and stronger G&H tobaccos (CCP), yet always keeping one G&H in my rotation. After all, there are no subsitutes for these kinds of VA based tobaccos (well except for S. Gawith).

But finally I've been won over by this blend's taste, authority, and incredibly bite free smoking characteristics. Not a complex smoke, not so dynamic, but as smooth as is possible, and somewhat sweet. Pretty strong but not in the heavy hitter league. Highly recommended.

Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't know how this could be rated only two stars! Absurd! This is one of the best flakes ever! Don't smoke this first if you are planning on trying any other tobacco that day! It is so flavorful it would overwhelm any other smoke that followed. If it has any fault it would be that a small pipefull seems to last forever! Really good stuff! "Non-Flakers" need not apply!

Update 11/26/04:

One of my pipe-buddies new to the game (a former big bucks cigar buyer) says this is as good or better than any of the $10 cigars he used to buy. He is not saying it tastes like a cigar, rather it gives him similar satisfaction.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very unusual(in a good sense), very tastey flake. It is rich, smooth, cool smoking and very unique in its range of flavors. This is lightly sweet and does have a very mild "soapy" flavor. I would say that this does not have a soapy flavor at all except that I did detect this aspect of flavor occasionally. There was also a light floral note that appeared occasionally that I enjoyed as well. Even though this is called rum flake I did not detect any rum flavoring at all. This is a very well behaved flake in my oppinion. I did not experience any bite with this and it smoked cool and thorough. Be prepared when you smoke this in that it does pack a good nicotine punch and may overwhelm those who are not used to blends with strength. If you are the kind who is not used to smoking stronger blends I would recommend trying this in a smaller pipe first. I would highly recommend this to flake lovers who are adventurous and like variety.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

Since this review comes on Thanksgiving 2002, I would first like to wish all of my fellow reviewers a safe and fun Thanksgiving weekend. And I thank all of you for making http://www.tobaccoreviews.com such an interesting & educational website for a pipe and tobacco lover like myself. Enough warm & fuzzy stuff. Following is my review of Rum Flake:

Despite the description of an added casing of "Maple sugars," this flake burns cool, dry and sweet. I loved its power and strength too. If you can't tolerate much nicotine "kick" when you puff, avoid this flake or you'll get cross-eyed in a hurry.

A dash of rum is also included in this tobacco. But frankly, I couldn't taste it. The tobacco was much too moist the first time I smoked a bowl. But even then it stayed lit well. After drying, the flavors really became more complex and leaped boldly toward my taste sensors.

This was delightful, and you can bet your turkey & dressing that I'll be purchasing more -- some for now and a few tins for the cellar!

MikeB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeB (15)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

I found this one to be too strong for my taste. It was very heavy and the strength of the tobacco over powered the flavour for me.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Rum Flake . The Maple and Rum in this one make for a very Floral aroma . The flakes in mine were a little too robust , requiring a fair amount of preparation but on the plus side they were of a good moisture level . It takes to the flame with ease and the burn is very constant and even . The smoke has (again like the aroma )a very floral taste to it . I find it hard to recognize the Rum in this one , detecting only a trace of it at a push . Nicotine level is fairly strong and could be off putting for some people . For me it is just a bit too Floral !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The Lakeland floral scent is muted some by the addition of sweet flavors. I get just a slight taste of rum, which is a disappointment, because that's why I smoked it. But it's a good blend nonetheless, with honey, hay, floral, slight brown sugar notes. The dark air cured burleys show up here and there, and adds to the enjoyment. Burns more evenly than your average flake and tastes good to the very end of the bowl. If you want more of a rum flavor, I'd suggest another mixture. However, if you're looking for a pleasantly, not overly sweet tobacco with some strength and character, this will please you.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (62)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

For me a good rum flake is the one from C&D, like the Afterhours That's what I call Rum. It does smell and taste like Rum.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Another great blend from GH. It comes a bit moist for some, but nothing a little drying won't cure nicely. A very nice presentation in the tin. Loads, lights and stays lit well. It burns down to an ash easily. The taste and room note are top rate. What more can one want from a bowlful of fine tobacco such as this? Overall, I would definitely recommend this blend to one and all.

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

my years of pipe smoking experience,i have tried this tobacco three times over a length of time.i must say that i found it very harsh with tongue bite and the flavour seems to weaken with that tangy lakeland soap.if you like a rum flavor tobacco,try samuel gawith navy flake,which is laced with rum.this is much better and well worth a try.

Another nice flake from GH. Rum Flake arrives a bit moist and it does have the soap like smell that GH is known for in many of their blends although not as soapy as others. I don't find that it translates to the flake. Rum Flake is somewhat sweet and I find the rum flavor to not be as strong as some suggest. Its not in the league of other spirits flavored tobacco like Pembroke or Cognac Mixture. The rum adds some of the sweetness. I prefer to rub the tan flake out and smoke it in a smaller bowl. While a decent flake out of the tin, it ages very, very well. The flakes turn very dark in color and while the rum taste diminishes, the sweetness increases. A few years of age on Run Flake and its a four star blend. Rum Flake is a must try for those that love Gawith Hoggarth flakes. Recommended.

Albert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albert (6)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Gawith Hoggarth Rum Flake has been described as a Christmas Cake tobacco and it is. Sweet, rich, exquisitely high class flake tobacco. I wish I'd discovered it many years ago. Delightful. Comes wet. Needs drying. Upon opening the tin the aroma is of overpowering rum. That quickly settles down and is all but lost in the sweetness of this eminently satisfying gem of a smoke. Very highly recommended.

DragonBreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBreath (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was surprised by this tobacco. When I first tried it, I detected a definite Lakeland flavoring that convinced me that the pipe I was using had been "ghosted" by Ennerdale flake. Upon trying Rum Flake in a different pipe, however, I came to understand that the tobacco does indeed contain a Lakeland topping.

Upon opening a pouch of Rum Flake, the tobacco presents itself in long, wide flakes with some ragged edges. Coloration is medium brown with lighter spots and variegations. Some small sugar crystals are apparent on the flakes, and will likely develop further with cellaring. Aroma is sharp and fruity, with a slight background of cocoa. Surprisingly, I could not detect any of the Lakeland floral scent present in the pouch.

The tobacco had an ideal moisture content, and did not require drying time or rubbing out. Lighting was surprisingly even and easy for a flake tobacco. Expansion on the charring light was minimal, and the draw remained easy.

During burning, the taste of the tobacco is slightly sweet, and the Lakeland flavor begins to assert itself. Unlike most Lakeland mixtures, the distinctive flavor is mild and subtle. (Some Lakeland tobaccos assert themselves like a luchador charging into the room and clotheslining you; Gawith Hoggarth & Company Rum Flake is more like a purring cat rubbing against your ankles.) The light Lakeland treatment harmonizes well with the meatier tobacco taste that appears when a bowl is burning well.

The tobacco burns evenly and easily, leaving fine, crisp ashes. A minimal amount of sacrificial dottle can be left in the bottom of the pipe at the end of a smoke. Rum Flake does not seem to turn foul or oppressively concentrated at the finish of a bowl.

In summation, Rum Flake is a pleasant experience and may be a good introduction to Lakeland flavoring for a person who is curious about the experience but afraid of being overwhelmed. The scenting is very mild here, and allows enough of the true tobacco taste to come through, so Rum Flake should be acceptable even to an individual who finds something like Ennerdale too strong.

Oddly enough, I couldn't detect any distinctive taste from the maple sugar casing Gawith Hoggarth and Company uses in Rum Flake, even though tiny crystals of sugar sparkle throughout the flakes.

Pipes used for testing: Peterson Aran 268, Peterson Killarney 999, Savinelli Saturnia 606 KS, Neerup Classic Poker (2), Stanwell Special Billiard (102)

ARIMA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ARIMA (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Unnoticeable

Tasted like plastic. At first I thought it was the match I lighted it with so I continued to smoke it. The overwelming taste of plastic never ceased. I threw the rest away.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Isn't it funny how our tastes change? I first sampled this flake a couple of years ago and I really didn't enjoy it very much, but having since developed a penchant for the Lakeland flakes I now find this to be a thoroughly delicious smoke.

Even though I usually don't like blends with more than a hint of burley in them, something about this one keeps me coming back. It's the exception that proves the rule, and I reckon that the composition of different varieties here is pretty much spot on - the richness of the topping compensates for what I usually perceive as a 'dry' and 'dusty' characteristic in burley tobacs.

The flavours on offer here have already been described pretty accurately by other reviewers. Maple dominates, then the soapiness, followed by the licorice/anise spice with the rum flitting in and out.

I like to smoke this roughly rubbed out in a medium sized bowl. Although I find it can be a tiny bit nippy for the first few puffs, it soon settles down and burns very nicely.

When I want to treat myself, I cut a thin coin of Brown Bogie, rub that out with the flake and load them up together. The small amount Brown Bogie just nudges the strength and body of the smoke up by a fraction and makes a subtle contribution to the flavour, rounding it out a little. It's an indulgence I can heartily recommend, as I can Rum Flake.

I ordered a tin of this for the first time and received it this afternoon. Beautiful tin aroma of maple/vanilla and a touch of rum. I also detected a spicy undertone - perhaps the licorice. The bottom of my tin listed it as Virginias and Burley with flavors of rum, licorice, and vanilla. Medium brown in color with some sugar crystals starting to form on some of the leaf. A very mild soapy smell was also present, but none of the "lady-like" perfumes (thankfully).

It loaded well into a medium billiard, but due to its freshness, it needed many a light to get it - and keep it - going. However, it still was quite a remarkable smoke. I enjoyed it very much. It was pleasantly sweet, but not cloying. Despite the frequent re-lights, it smoked hot and with some bite only if puffed fast (I smoked two bowls back to back it was that good). It did have a soapy taste with lighting that pretty much stayed throughout the smoke. However, all though ever present, the soapy flavor actually was quite tolerable. The other flavorings blended superbly with this mild soapiness, and there was a nice tobacco presence as well. My youngest daughter said the tin aroma smelled like maple syrup. My oldest said the room note was like the caramelized smell of a roasting marshmallow. DGT on this one was spot on. As said, it can smoke hot and bite if pushed, so best to sip at this one.

Overall, I was very surprised with Rum Flake; enough so to add it to my rotation - perhaps once or twice weekly. Definitely better than an American blended aromatic, Rum Flake is a fine example of an expertly blended English aromatic.

UPDATE 3-24-13: My latest tin of RF had virtually no tin note at all - nor while smoking it. I thought it was a problem with the seal, but some RF I have left over from a previous tin is as dry as tinder but yet has a nice tin note and more flavor while smoking - go figure. The fresh one smokes like BB#2 but with a bit more Burley presence. Still good, but disappointed.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Probably my favorite gawh, nice n sweet all day smoke with great va taste, this blend is perfect for a introduction blend to gawh, the floral tones are nice and soft. Top broken flake.

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is another fine tobacco from GH. This one is for burley puffers, not Va smokers. There is very little Va in this one. It is a full bodied, medium strength blend that smokes dry to the bottom with no bite at all. Initial taste and smell to me is of cotton candy, which diminishes down the bowl. The latest tins say it is topped with licorice, rum and vanilla. I give it a light rub out in a grp 6 bowl, and it burns well enough, maybe requiring one or two relights. Stays good tasting down to the bottom. This is one of my regulars,and highly recommended.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

strongirish said it best below. "How anyone could not like this is beyond me". I almost passed on this because of some of the reviews I read here. His convinced me to give it a shot.

Am I ever glad I did. This stuff rocks! I've smoked through a 2 OZ sample in just a few days. It just keeps getting better.

Despite the rum and maple sugar toppings this is not at all an aromatic. It tastes like I want a a VA to taste. It's the thing I keep trying to coax from many VA blends

I typically avoid burley because it bites me. But this doesn't' bite at all. In fact it's almost soothing to the tongue.

It comes a bit wet and like most flakes benefits from drying. I rub it out and pack it with a sort of hybrid air pocket/Frank technique. It burns amazingly well. I typically seem to have several relights through a typical bowl. Not with this. I won't roll out the cliche' "fine white ash". But it burns down to the bottom of the bowl with no fuss.

I buy very few blends in quantity to cellar. Only if they rock my world. This will be one I buy several pounds of. It has immediately made my top 5.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The look and smell of the flake was wonderful, once rubbed out and lit, it all went pear shaped. SOAP. Sadly for me, thats the end of the story. I just can't stand soap flavoured tobacco's.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I get really ornery when someone says they're going to do something and then doesn't do it. Similarly, I don't have much patience for a pipe tobacco that claims to be one thing and then shows you a totally different side. Rum? Nowhere to be found. Licorice? Whatever. Vanilla? That's a good one.

I wish I had spent my money elsewhere rather than monkey with Rum Flake. This will be the last time I dabble around here, thank you very little.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (75)

G & H produce some fine scented flakes...fine that is if you have the taste for them; Rum Flake almost escapes the base notes of their scented flakes. Almost. It has a wonderfully subtle aroma in the tin or box; rich and chocolatey, sweet and alcoholic...and there's wafts of the same tastes when you light up. For me, they seems to dissipate as I work my way through the bowl, becoming less pervasive and more soapy (as others have alluded to); not that that is a problem as I enjoy the Lakeland scented varities G & H produce. I can see however how this tobacco could dissappoint some folk as the early promised taste doesn't quite last. So from an objective point of view, while I still enjoy it very much, I think in a way Rum Flake falls just short of being a great tobacco...so 3 instead of 4 stars.

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I read some favourable reviews of this flake and eventually tracked it down to an online shop in Leeds, England. My first impressions on the nose and visual senses were equally as favourable, and if the smoking experience had followed suit, it would have been a rare beast to boast about.

Out of the packet, this loosely-packed tobacco looks and smells delectable: 6"x1.5" dark, golden-flecked, moist flakes that rub - and dry out - extremely easily. For once, the aroma matches the description faultlessly: I get a good dose of the maple sugars and a nice rum note from what is evidently a tobacco of quality.

However, the smoke itself was, for me, a big a disappointment as was possible. Undoubtedly, this was single-handedly down to the casing, which manifests this taste like lavender soap. And I don't mean merely "soapy"; it's just too strong to ignore as a passing sensation. Furthermore, it follows until the end of the bowl, creating a very one-dimensional and ultimately disappointing smoke.

To give this tobacco its dues, it's better when circulated through the nose, which gives this blend a sweet-cum-petrol aroma, and if you're one of those people who enjoy the smell, whilst filling up the tank of your car, then this might just redeem itself. I tried this in both a regular Peterson and a churchwarden, and received the same experience, even with the later addition of a filter.

I am in no rush to try this again in a hurry and sit on just shy of 50g of this 'Fresh New Hell,' which I would happily trade right now for anything, with anyone living in the UK.

ChicagoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChicagoPipe (45)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I pick up a couple of ounces of Rum Flake with a recent order from Peritti's. I usually don't smoke aromatics, but based on the reviews here, I decided to give it a try. This is an excellent rum flavor VA/burley flake with licorice & vanilla. Upon lighting, your first get a burst of licorice flavor. By mid-bowl the rum flavor takes over, but you can still taste the excellent tobacco. Yes, it has that Lakeland soapy/flora taste, but I enjoy the flavor. No bite or goop like most aromatics. This is a great tobacco to smoke around the holiday, with a room note that won't offend anyone.

Highy Recommended

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Nicely flavored blend of different tobaccos.

Not something I'd want to smoke everyday and not my favorite GH Flake but Rum Flake has a taste all its own. Worth a try.

GarageLocked Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GarageLocked (8)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

This came as a suggestion from a pipe/cigarette smoker and I can deffinetly taste why. Not unplesent, quite the opposite, the rum and anise flavoring is deffinetly an interesting mix. I am usually an English man but this blend does right by me so I have to give it 3 out of 4.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

It might be unfair for me to comment on this brand since I don't have a huge affinity for the Lakeland florals; but I keep thinking that a taste this soapy surely must have some antiseptic value! A quality tobacco for sure, but not for me.

Update:

I recently took another run at this tobacco and I'm glad I did. This experience was completely different from my first and I don't know if I got a bad batch or whether my taste buds were slightly off during my first try. The floral taste is definitely present, but it now seems to add rather than detract from the experience. I like the strength and the transition of tastes.....can't wait to order more.

Ajr37 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ajr37 (6)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very strange one this! Firstly, I had to import this to the UK from a tobacconist in the US. Following the smoking ban, it is proving next to impossible to get quality tobacco other than from the big two (Dunhill/Orlik or Peterson)so thank goodness for the USA!!

Anyway, this tobacco is unusual. It burns exceptionally well, tastes good and does not bite, The only thing is, and here I seem to disagree with everybody else, I did not get a huge nicotine kick. Now I think that University Flake is mild, so it may be just me but I was not fully satisfied in the nicotine department. Still it may be just me as I say. The other negative is that the aroma upon first opening the tin is strange. It reminded me of Bovril!!

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The "Christmas Cake" of all our tobaccos. Makes me want to sing carols just thinking about it. The lakeland special essences with just a touch of your Aunt Bertha's drugstore perfume are combined to make a pretty tasty tobacco. Yo definitely get the licorice, which is good for me, in the first half of the bowl. The rum of course is in the subtle background. This is not necessarily a daily smoke for me but one I will smoke from time to time to break up the palate. No goo here, so don't be afraid of it's description. A moderate dose of nicotine is present.

"The first noel..."

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I must confess, I love G & H tobacco's! But when I first recieved this and smoked it in a briar, I found it bland and unimpressive. After letting it age a few months, I broke some up and filled a "Tavern Pipe" which is a long Churchwarden type Clay Pipe. And BOY, what a difference! I think this blend is going to be destined to be smoked out of these pipes from now on! The flavor is amazing, although I must confess, all I taste is a very pleasant Licorice, which is one of the flavorings. And it is so smooth and relaxing from start to finish, with just enough nicotine to make me sink down a little into my chair. My Partner says the roomnote also smells like Licorice, which he finds to be very pleasant. Give this one a try, and if you have a Churchwarden or a Tavern Pipe , you may discover EXACTLY what I am talking about!! Highly Recommended!!!!!

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

Good leaf, well-intentioned, well-behaved, and targeting a market of which I am not a member.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Some weeks ago I began the journey through the line of fine tobaccos made by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. and I must say that the trip has been rewarding.

When purchased in bulk, Rum Flake comes as a broken flake with a musty/sweet aroma. The tobaccos used are of high quality and the flavorings are evident but not to the point of covering up the excellent character of the tobacco.

At first light, Rum Flake has a cigar-like quality but as the tobacco is consumed it developes into a semi-sweet and rich smoking experience. Though it gathers in strength toward the bottom of the bowl, Rum Flake never becomes "bitey". WHile RF does have a bit of the floral in it, RF never gets "soapy".

I would give this high marks and would recommend it. Though a bit strong for all day/every day consumption, I will always keep this around.

Blackie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackie (16)
Very Strong Extra Strong Extra Full Pleasant

When I went looking for a Rum Flake, I went looking for Rum and good Virginia. What I found was a Virginia seemingly cased with Anise/Licorice. This in no way even approximates it's advertised casing of "maple sugars" and "rum". In it's totality, it tastes like fine orange Virginia and Burley cased with Pernod Liqueur and sprinkled with Pepper. Beyond it's flavor, it seemed to have a prickly, bite. Not tongue bite, but the chemically induced little bites of black pepper.

I can relate and adjust to some of the soapy, florid blends from England. However, this was not one of those tobaccos. This was nothing short of an assault on the tongue. I had tried this the first time in a pipe in which I had smoked English, so I switched to a new corncob to be quite sure. I am quite sure that this is not for me. My wife, seated next to me in our car commented on the reasonable room note, however (which is impressive if you know my wife).

At another time, with different expectations, I might try it again. This just did not come close to what it bills itself.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a well-made blend, typical of G&H. In comparison to Bob's Square Cut/Bob's Chocolate Flake, the floral note is subdued and seems to diappear once it is lit and going. Like the other reviews, I detect little in the way of a rum taste, though the maple is apparent at first. However, the sweet maple flavor is itself eventually replaced with that of the rich natural tobacco. This blend burns well despite its density and moisture content. It is a somewhat unusual flake because the pieces are so long. The flakes need to be broken up or folded over to fit into a pipe. While there is no bite, this is a deceptively strong tobacco for the unwary and may induce dizziness if smoked too fast. Whle I think the aroma is nice, others of the female persuasion have informed me that it smells like a "dirty cigarette"---whatever that means. Nonetheless, I give Rum Flake a grade of "B".

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Gawith and Co. have to be commended again for their ability to blend tobacco that is different than the rest of the pack, and yet "classic" in every respect of the word. With Rum Flake, they have again upped the ante.

Appearance: Beautiful 8-9" long by 1.5" Flakes Medium Brown with light yellow specks here and there.

Aroma: This comes in bulk so there is no tin to open. The flakes smell like raisins, hay, a little floral,perfumy (light though, not as perfumy as BCF)

Packing and Lighting: I found that this smokes better fully rubbed out and in smaller pipes (grp 3-4) Three lights typical.

Initial Flavor: Rich VA with a spiciness that does not burn your tongue. Where is the Rum?

Mid-Bowl:The flavor is rich and sweet, without being cloying. The florals pop in and out more. This is a delicious tobac!

End of bowl: This is where this blend is the most tasty to me. Rich, round, mellow, with the florals more in evidence. When it is over, you are satiated, your pipe is dry, and the ash is powdery grey.

Overall: This is a delicious blend if you appreciate Gawiths Genre of flavoring. The floral flavor is less pronounced than BCF. The tobac burns cool, what more could one ask for?

Rating: since I am still primarily a Balkan smoker I could not rate it higher than "I smoke this on occasion" but in this genre, I give it 4.5 points out of 5, a most excellent smoke, enjoy!

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

I picked up a tin of this a couple weeks ago, was quite excited to get into it. Alas expectation causes some suffering. I really did not like this one. Tin note had a bit of recoil affect, not rum, but a hangover from rum kind of smell. The cut was interesting. Smoking it was not. Had a bit of a perfume (my wife tried it and claimed it tasted similar to the way "old ladies perfume" smells. I have to agree though I would have simply qualified the taste as perfume or soap? A low rating from me but I am no expert and it may have been a bum tin.

browncoat817 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
browncoat817 (3)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I've smoked about half a tin of this blend, and I have to say that with each smoke I enjoy it less and less. The tin note is wonderful, full of rich, deep earthy tones with a hint of dark fruit and rum (as the name indicates). Upon smoking it, however, all is lost except for an overwhelming flavor like that of an old woman's powdery, flowery perfume. This perfume-like taste has emerged from each of the GH&Co. blends I've smoked, and it really does detract from the overall experience in my opinion. I'm afraid that once I've finished off this tin, I will stay away from other GH&Co. tobaccos.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was an exceptional moist flake that reeked of a sweet/sour topping that didn't even remind me of rum. The flavor mirrored the tin note almost exactly - fruit cake, honey, or even Jolly Ranchers candy. It dried out eventually to an almost rock-hard consistency without losing much of the treacle sweetness. The burning characteristics were oddly good, even if I did get a bit of a bite from it. I've come to appreciate G&H tobaccos in a big way, but the flavor (and bite) here really turned me off.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (58)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

Dark flake, heavily laced with navy rum.

Gives off such strong aroma you feel like ringing the tobacco strands out and filling a cup.

The flavour slowly dies away as you progress the bowl, leaving a harsh, but somewhat mellow aftertaste.

If you like Rum per se then you'll adore this. If you don't, avoid.

Certainly not a tobacco I'd smoke on a regular basis, but well worth having in small quantities when the craving strikes.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)
Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

a guy at my local tobacconist recommended this when i asked him for a rum flake. i think he's fried his taste buds on too many cigars or something. the flavoring is way too strong.

they should call this licorice flake! too many flavorings. it's exceptional tobacco like any GH blend but i like rum flake to have just rum. the maple casing is nice.

give it a try but be warned it is like candy.

jazzmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jazzmoke (57)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I believe that certain people treat tobacco like candy, if it says chococlate on the tin they expect to smoke cocoa. That's the thing with tobacco,it's tobacco first of all. For example this tastes like kentucky and burley mainly, I see it as a milder version of Peterson's Irish flake, for me this is NOT an aromatic tobacco, and I expected it not be as it is a flake cut, as I have seen, flake tobacco is usually stronger. It's true that I don't find any taste of vanilla what so ever, but I am thinking about that I read certain reviews where other smokers didn't noticed scents that I have found. That is why tastes are different,and that is why, there are hundreds of tobacco mixtures on the market.

So what can I say about it. It has a full kentucky and burley taste witch I like. It has indeed a certain taste of rum (not rum essence that is used for cookies), note that I am a 100% black rum drinker. I couldn't taste the licorice but I could notice the sweet taste. It's a long smoke tobacco, it burns nice but hard so you can enjoy it for about an hour even in a medium pipe.

I am smoking pipe for a few months (started again after 5 years) and I have tried for about 10-12 tobaccos, form straight latakia and perique mixture to excellent danish aromatics.

This one is in my "Good full taste tobacco section" (by now I didn't find one I could call the best), not an aromatic,as far as I can taste it.

Just to let you know, and please do contradict with me if you disagree: if a tobacco is brownish and smells like smoked plums then it should be judged as pure tobacco, not spice, not aromatic.

UPDATED: from Recommended to Somewhat Recommended. I've let the tobacco "wait" for a while, and it seems to me now harsh and soapy. But there is also a thing that I might be doing wrong, mainly the fact that I only have mid-size - big-size pipes (38 mm depth 18 mm chamber width the smallest - 50 mm depth and 21 mm width the largest) and I always fill them to the top. Perhaps this tobacco is better when smoked from smaller pipes in smaller quantities.

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (7)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I heard a lot about this blend and really, most of what I heard was good . so I ordered me a tin of it from an online shop.

I had it sitting on the shelf for about a week or so and today I decided it was time to give it a go.

The smell of the Tobacco when I opened the tin was fantastic, very Rasin like and very pleasant. it comes moist and dries out easily.

The smoke is not as pleasant...I really couldn't find the Vanilla, Rum, or Licorice. It just had a shampoo/soap taste, just really a chore to get through about half the bowl. I couldn't continue smoking it. I know you should give a tin a bowl or two before you judge it but this Tobacco just doesn't do it for me, no matter how many attempts I give it, my opinion won't change.

But, then again, it seems like plenty of people like it. So you might as well pick up a tin, I can only give so much information. It's your own opinion and your own tastes that decide.

Room Note Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Room Note Professor (39)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smells of molasses in the tin, with just a hint of anise and maple. Use some imagination and you'll find a drop of rum buried in there somewhere too. The sweet smell in the tin does not fully carry over to the match. The taste is much less sweet, yet full and rich.

Smokers will find the room note pleasant, but for most non-smokers it will be tolerable to okay at best. This tobacco reminded me of a stronger version of Amphora Red, although Amphora has a fresher edge to it as well as a more interesting room note.

Rum Flake is a pleasant smoke for people who desire a medium to strong tobacco flavour mixed with some aromatic qualities. A rich and satisfying smoke. It has a nice kick and I love it for a change of pace from the milder aromatics.

Henry Mars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Henry Mars (18)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

I have been lurking around this site for a few years and just now am getting around to writing my first review. I don't know why I selected this blend as my maiden voyage but I did. Normally I prefer Balkan Mixtures ... BS 759 being my all time favorite. Rum Flake is flavorful, not particularly complex with some nicotine kick. You can taste the sugar in this stuff but I really don't detect any rum flavor .. probably just mellows out the tobacco a bit. As with most flakes for the best result do not over pack it and smoke it slowly or it will incinerate your tongue.

It starts out with the typical soapy, floral taste and seems to develop more sweetness as you progress ... I would have liked a little more tobacco flavor and less sugar but hey, it is what it is and it ain't too bad. This stuff will never be part of my regular rotation it is just to sweet but is is well done for what it is and if you like this sort of tobacco it is an excellent offering. Solid 3 -3.5 stars.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

First and foremost it must be said that this is a very good tobacco as are all of the fine tobaccos by Hoggarth.

I find it mandatory to dry the tobacco before proceeding to enjoy it. I?d say it?s a quite strong and heavy tobacco which can be smoked to the bottom of the bowl and all that is left is dry ash and nothing mucky.

It doesn?t give that burning sensation on the tongue and is in fact a quite enjoyable, refreshing and slow smoke. What you eat or drink before smoking is very important as it does not have intense scents but does have apleasant taste. The rum is actually quite subtle as the chocolate flavor does in BCF, but does have an exquisite taste with the maple adding a pleasant sweetness to an already naturally sweet tobacco.

Also note that I found it easier to smoke if rubbed well before.

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The flake looks like a dark brown block at first glance. As you break it apart, it seperates into the bacon-like stips. Very mild tin aroma, almost undetectable. It is somewhat moist, so requires a little drying. I smoked some as bent flake, causing it to burn very slowly and for a long period; this method produced more nicotine strength than when I broke it out. The room note is pleasant and the flavor seems very similar to Samuel Gawith Kendall Cream flake. It has a cream soda type flavor, however you do get the mild licorice flavor off & own throughout the smoke. It burns to a white ash, has no tongue bite and maintains the taste throughout the bowl.

The only thing is, I could not smell nor taste any rum! This is my second rum tobacco (the other was C&D blockade runner) that does not have the slightest resemblence to rum. However, it is still a very pleasurable smoke. I'll give it 3 stars.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Rum Flake.01/03/07. This is pretty good,I found it easy to light after letting it sit on newspaper for five to ten min's.It only required two lights and then I was on a fairly decent smoke to the bottom of the bowl.It left a fairly goop free grey white ash at bowls end.I could definitely taste the three flavours during the course of smoking this.The burley was there and the presence of the kentucky and virginia made their presence felt at certain times.There was very little moisture and finished with a nice greyish ash at bowls end.In it's class it deserves three stars.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I am intrigued with aromatic, flavored tobaccos. The thought of a tobacco and extraneous flavors is an interesting prospect. However, the execution of such blends leaves me with chemical burn, little nicotine spin and gooped up pipes. Hence, my usual flavor-search is relegated to Balkans, English and other Latakia blends.

Enter Rum Flake! A fine tobacco taste with crystalized sweetness and little goopiness. Hell, I've smoked English blends that burned wetter.

Superb, excellent, praiseworthy.

I give this three stars because it is not the pinnacle of my piping experiences. In solely aromatic realms this is a 4star.

Images evoked include an undead santa claus delivering monkey brains to the stockings of anklebiting zombies during winter solstice.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I expected something similar to S.Gawith Navy flake, but this one is a lot different. The rum casing is more present at the nose than at the match, when smoked you taste only tobacco with a light almost soapy flavour. The nicotine punch isn't the strongest I've tried, but it isn't a mild one at all.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

First off, I had to give this tobacco a try. I'm glad I did. The bulk stock from which I purchased was not overly moist, in fact it leaned towards dry, so I was thrilled. I imagine that this RF smoked with a bit more moisture could turn the pipe bit into a blow torch. I also didn't notice any but the slightest topping aroma ... so either my tobacconist has defrauded me or this tobacco needs to served exactly this way.

The broken flake is very easy to work with and rubs out easily, in fact, the first pipefull was just stuffed into #4 sized Brand X pipe of decent quality and fired up. The first whiff of smoke was bewildering but pleasant. To be honest I wasn't sure what I was smelling but nonetheless I proceeded with reckless abandon. Tamped and retorched, it was full tasting, balanced and I searched (although wary) for the maple sugars. We still haven't been introduced.

What I did notice is a rather malt-like, buttered toast-ish bottom to a nicely powerful blend. It is complex IMO and those soapy / floral highs peak at intervals along the way. It smokes slow, cool and rich.

Now, with all due respect to those noteworthy reviewers that have been so helpful to me that have also bombed RF, I'm wondering if there is a major inconsistency in the varying stock of this tobacco or my original supposition that my tobacconist is a crack pot. All the casing / topping ingredients in the RF I'm smoking is almost indistinguishable and I have found this to be a very enjoyable, rich, full and complex basso that also doesn't cripple the palate. This blend could be called No Name Flake and that would be more appropriate from my experience.

I would love to hear more from detractors re-visiting RF in a more naturally aged drier condition.

Cheers, VC

(Update - I finally was able to identify the Maple Sugars essence after dedicating a pipe to this blend. As with all the other elements of this smoke - the rich smooth taste of a wonderful blend is merely tied together very successfully with the maple/rum. I'm convinced that further aging and slight drying is the secret to the transformation of this tobacco.)

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking G&H Rum Flake off and on for some time now, about 4 ounces. This is a quality tobacco, with a rich tobacco flavor. The maple topping passes quickly, not that the topping is at all bad. As others have mentioned, this tobacco can have some kick, but not at all as strong as, say, G&H Dark Birdseye. I usually rub the flake out fully, and find it burns very well, with no bite. If you're looking for a step up from most "normal" tobaccos to something with a bit more strength, this is an excellent choice.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Well well, what have we here...a gorgeous English aromatic. I came by 2 ounces of this flake and have rendered it to a wistfull memory in short order. Other reviewers have made mention of the "maple" smell. I concur but I don't taste it. Initial taste is thin, dare I say somewhat cheap, especially when exhaled through the nose. Thankfully, several puffs later the smoke revs up and tastes wonderfull, rich and full. I have been smoking it in a long Canadian, providing a gentle, cool experience. Due to it being cased and sugary, relights can be a tad ashy, but the unpleasant flavors soon diminish. Not an all day smoke but rightly rewarding when in the proper mood and space. As to the mention of "floral" notes, I couldn't detect any. I smoked it alongside half a dozen of the traditional Lakeland mixtures and found it a welcome departure. Enjoy.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Ennerdale flake is a staple for me. Rum flake is a new flake that I have just tried for the first time this week. I am very impressed with it. This is a Virginia Burley flake with a casing. I have read Rum, Vanilla and licorice. It has a very pungent aroma in the tin. Rubs out with some effort and packs nicely. Burn is nice and flavor is excellent. The base tobacco flavors come through very nicely with the added flavors. Very enjoyable but will not replace my Ennerdale Flake. Four stars.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

GH Rum Flake is one of my first forays into GH soap flake land. And I like it. I, too, found it to need a bit of drying before it was ready to smoke. As it came, it was fairly harsh and monochromatic, but once dried a bit, and consumed slowly it revealed a rich spectrum of flavors. Rum was not one of them. The restrained floral soapiness was evident in the background throughout, but VAs and added sweetener make it a rich and rewarding smoke.

I also like the cut. Contrary to the description above, my sample came in nice broad flakes. A gentle rubbing-out into long strands (after the requisite drying of course) produced a nice slow-burning texture. I found that it burns best in a tall narrow bowl, where a smolder of just the right temperature can be attained.

I also tried it chopped into teensy cubes, and it was amazing how much sweeter the flavor was. It had a tendency to burn the back of my throat, however, so I went back to the long strand consistency I prefer with VA-type flakes. It is fun to have it both ways.

I have enough to cellar several oz in a sealed glass jar for a few months/years to revisit frequently in the future. A recommended smoke.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium to Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a tobacco I buy in bulk and keep for months, smoking it sparingly over time, perhaps a bowl a week or every two weeks. It is a typical dark, pressed G&H flake with a maple sugar aroma and this carries over into the flavor of the smoke. This is a strong tobacco, and has that pleasant astringent sensation of nicotine on the tongue underneath the tobacco flavors. The combination of the sweet maple and the somewhat bitter, dark pressed flake flavor are unique to this tobacco. There is absolutely no bite. I like the dark pressed, scented Lakeland flakes, and I like this the best of all. If you like a sweet tobacco now and then, but you want the taste of tobacco, this is an excellent choice. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

The only stuff with added aromas (rum) i could a long time full tolerate.

Nowadays lesser.

For me it was the replacement for the old St. Bruno Flake.

5 years ago i would had given 4 Stars. Today 2.5, but only in wintertime. Summertime 1 Star.

The Qualli of the stuff hasnt changed, but my licking

Age When Smoked: 1- 5