Winter Time Flake Pipe Tobacco by Samuel Gawith is a blend of pressed Virginia leaves. With a higher sugar content and the spiciness of the Latakia, experience a cool but rich, slow burn tobacco. For the experienced smoker.

Taste: Sweet & Spicy

Strength: Medium to Full

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended ByStanislaw & Samuel Gawith
Manufactured BySamuel Gawith
ContentsLatakia, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.4

After seeing the “season” blends have been in the EU for a while, they have finally made their way here to the States. Winter is my first go around with these new blends. The tin note is mainly of Latakia and the flakes appear in typical fashion of other SG flakes with the exception of the fact that they are not as moist as many of the other SG flakes. I have smoked Winter broken in pieces and folded and stuffed. It first light, the Latakia is very present, but there is room for the other component tobaccos to play in the sandbox. I have seen some retail sites describing Winter as a Virginia flake with added Latakia. I think that is misleading as Latakia is a dominate flavor. Also, I think the photo here at TR makes that flake appear lighter than it actually is. I like Latakia, and I find this to be a superior blend to SG’s Balkan Flake which I find too monochromatic. Winter offers a little bit more complexity than Balkan Flake. To my personal taste, Winter is medium in strength and medium to full in flavor. Unlike the new Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake, I don’t detect any topping here. However, even though I generally favor SG blends over Mac Baren, I enjoy the Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake much more. It’s nice to see SG come to market with new offerings and I think many will enjoy this. For me, there are too many others of similar ilk that I enjoy more.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

A predominantly dark flake with the occasional bright fleck, tacky to the touch and with a rich leathery smell.

Light it up and bam, you are greeted with the unmistakeable hit of Latakia, creamy yet a touch sour, buttermilk if you will. And then a steady sort of rhythm develops, with that distinctive flavour continuing, but just about kept in check by the Virginia.

There is not a great deal of complexity here, the two principal components perform exactly as you would expect. And as you would also expect from this distinguished blender, the quality of the leaf is unimpeachable. Overall there is something appealing about the simplicity of it all and it does the job coolly, smoothly and with the minimum of effort required.

So an agreeable smoke, but Lat lovers only need apply.

Recommended.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am surprised nobody else has reviewed this one yet. It's good.

Similar to the GH&Co Balkan Flake (it really does exist, although my attempt to add it here under the old management didn't work), the SG version is more refined with lesser quantities of latakia and orientals, which let the quality SG virginias shine through.

There aren't many latakia flakes available in the UK, and a good number of those that are also come from the SG stable. Well, this is better than them. In fact, it is probably the best one full stop. Get some.

N.B. The seal on this tin was intact, but the tobacco within was on just the right side of crispy - still pliable, but quite dry. Not the usual, then.

Pipe Used: Blakemar 'Bash

Purchased From: MySmokingShop

Similar Blends: Special Latakia Flake, GH&Co Balkan Flake.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)

I found this blend at a small B&M not too far from where I am. I find they have a lot of SG blends in stock on the 2 whim visits I paid them. Either the pipe smokers in my neck of the woods do not know a good thing when they see it, or they have not been formally introduced. But I digress. This blend is very straightforward and as such is very good at what it is. The tobaccos used are first rate, as expected from SG. You may need to dry this out somewhat at the first cracking of the tin. Once lit, it is an excellent smoke that produces a very nice helping of smoky flavor and a decent amount of nicotine is forthcoming. It smokes down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe. Highly recommended when it is in stock at your local B&M or online store. You won't be disappointed.

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (22)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Perhaps I received a bad tin of this blend, but my results are contrary to the other reviews I see here. I found Winter Time Flake horrible. This is the first SG blend I have ever detested.

The tin aroma is not of smoky latakia or virginias, but is instead the aroma is reminiscent of burning tires. No matter, tin aromas are often misleading.

After a bit of drying and rubbing out, it lights moderately easily. However, the burning tire flavor is now pervasive, and in addition, I am unexpectedly experiencing bite from the VAs.

It improves slightly further in, but it is still unpleasant. I had hoped for something akin to, say, Lancer Slices, but instead it seems like a cruel combination of lackluster latakia, SG Black XX, and a hot VA. The room note is at least decent, but the taste this blend leaves in my mouth is most unpleasant. I will jar the rest and hope time can work some magic.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 316

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm a fan of English blends, and this one hits the top of the pops. Beautifully presented flakes, with a moisture content that seems to me to be just perfect. Straight from the tin, an easy rub out, and then a luxurious completely tobacco taste is revealed.

Nothing fancy, nothing fine; just pure tobacco at its finest. It's also perhaps the best burning blend I've ever run across. I finish the bowl (in disappointment) and unload the leavings, which nearly ever time is just a fine grey ash, no lumps, no dottle.

What a fantastic blend.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is an absolutely stunning flake. From the first moment you open the tin a delicious leathery smell makes you fall in love with this labour. This is not a common virginia/latakia flake this is much much more. The smoke is so creamy, flavourfull and rich that, despite it's very slow burning, you want more when finish the bowl. I find the virginias very similar to those used by Master Blender Tony Petty in his english mixtures, maybe i'm smoking argentinian virginias here, who knows? An excellent choice for the flake smokers lads, for the english/flake smokers... heaven!

Pipe Used: Amadeus bent apple

Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

Winter Flake . I fully agree with the two previous reviews . It is a very simple tobacco albeit very pleasing . The aroma from the unlit tobacco does have a slightly incongruous leather scent to it as previously stated . It is indeed of the perfect moisture level to rub and fill with . The smoke is beautifully thick with a good latakia flavor to it, slight spicy edge and no bite . It is also fine to inhale if you choose to and it also gives a pleasant room note . Very good and really satisfying !

Pipe Used: Peterson