Winter Time Flake Pipe Tobacco by Samuel Gawith is a blend of pressed Virginia leaves. With a higher sugar content and the spiciness of the latakia, experience a cool but rich, slow burn tobacco. For the experienced smoker.

Notes: This flake is part of a limited Four Season series in a wild collaboration of Samuel Gawith, Stanislaw and DTM. These flakes are:

Irish Spring Time Flake, English Summer Flake, Scottish Autumn Flake, and Winter Time Flake.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

3.2

After seeing the “season” blends have been in the EU for a while, they have finally made their way here to the States. Winter is my first go around with these new blends. The tin note is mainly of Latakia and the flakes appear in typical fashion of other SG flakes with the exception of the fact that they are not as moist as many of the other SG flakes. I have smoked Winter broken in pieces and folded and stuffed. It first light, the Latakia is very present, but there is room for the other component tobaccos to play in the sandbox. I have seen some retail sites describing Winter as a Virginia flake with added Latakia. I think that is misleading as Latakia is a dominate flavor. Also, I think the photo here at TR makes that flake appear lighter than it actually is. I like Latakia, and I find this to be a superior blend to SG’s Balkan Flake which I find too monochromatic. Winter offers a little bit more complexity than Balkan Flake. To my personal taste, Winter is medium in strength and medium to full in flavor. Unlike the new Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake, I don’t detect any topping here. However, even though I generally favor SG blends over Mac Baren, I enjoy the Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake much more. It’s nice to see SG come to market with new offerings and I think many will enjoy this. For me, there are too many others of similar ilk that I enjoy more.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (47)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I am surprised nobody else has reviewed this one yet. It's good.

Similar to the GH&Co Balkan Flake (it really does exist, although my attempt to add it here under the old management didn't work), the SG version is more refined with lesser quantities of latakia and orientals, which let the quality SG virginias shine through.

There aren't many latakia flakes available in the UK, and a good number of those that are also come from the SG stable. Well, this is better than them. In fact, it is probably the best one full stop. Get some.

N.B. The seal on this tin was intact, but the tobacco within was on just the right side of crispy - still pliable, but quite dry. Not the usual, then.

Pipe Used: Blakemar 'Bash

Purchased From: MySmokingShop

Similar Blends: Special Latakia Flake, GH&Co Balkan Flake.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (172)

I found this blend at a small B&M not too far from where I am. I find they have a lot of SG blends in stock on the 2 whim visits I paid them. Either the pipe smokers in my neck of the woods do not know a good thing when they see it, or they have not been formally introduced. But I digress. This blend is very straightforward and as such is very good at what it is. The tobaccos used are first rate, as expected from SG. You may need to dry this out somewhat at the first cracking of the tin. Once lit, it is an excellent smoke that produces a very nice helping of smoky flavor and a decent amount of nicotine is forthcoming. It smokes down to a nice ash at the bottom of the pipe. Highly recommended when it is in stock at your local B&M or online store. You won't be disappointed.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Medium None Detected Medium Strong

A predominantly dark flake with the occasional bright fleck, tacky to the touch and with a rich leathery smell.

Light it up and bam, you are greeted with the unmistakeable hit of Latakia, creamy yet a touch sour, buttermilk if you will. And then a steady sort of rhythm develops, with that distinctive flavour continuing, but just about kept in check by the Virginia.

There is not a great deal of complexity here, the two principal components perform exactly as you would expect. And as you would also expect from this distinguished blender, the quality of the leaf is unimpeachable. Overall there is something appealing about the simplicity of it all and it does the job coolly, smoothly and with the minimum of effort required.

So an agreeable smoke, but Lat lovers only need apply.

Recommended.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I rather enjoy the photograph, makes me want to pack an bowl and stroll over that bridge. The tin note is very nice like a peaty Scotch with some smoked brisket, just great.

Moisture content absolutely perfect straight from a fresh tin, not the norm for S. Gawith mind you they're the distributor it most likely was tinned in the Czech Republic by Mostex.

Plenty of Latakia upon first light, the Virginia's arrive mildly albeit later during the first 1/3 of the bowl. Not an overly complex blend; however, there's some interplay if you pay attention; quite creamy and rich as well. Once in awhile I do get something incense-like that comes and goes mostly with retro-haling. It's not topped nor flavoured as far as I know and certainly does not present itself as such, my Upshall Dublin likes this one a lot, likely the briar effect although in my Ashton's it does something similar.

It does loose some complexity outdoors although in cool winter air the Latakia ramps-up and it burns very cool in either locale. Mind you not as cool as S. Gawith Balkan Flake, tastier for sure and more complex, overall deeper Latakia too at least to me, and it burns to a powdery salt and pepper ash very similar to Cornell & Diehl with some apparent nicotine; nonetheless, it's not a one and done blend.

Decent stuff, a few tins will be added to the cellar.

Amended: this blend fades a lot. The first few days of a fresh tin transferred to a mason jar were very good, now a month later it's mute and monotone moving from very full to medium. Occasionally blends do this and no more tins will be added. Sorry folks I have to remove two stars.

Adrian B. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adrian B. (29)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is my second experience with a Gawith flake. (The first was Navy Flake. We need not speak of it further.) This flake is extremely flavorful and well behaved. The moisture content in the tin is on the dry side (for SG). I rub the flakes out and let it dry for 15 mins or so and load the pipe. It lights easy and stays lit. I don't know what the percentages of lat to VA are, but the latakia seems dominant and that's fine with me, I love the stuff. You get a nice noticeable sweetness from the VA. This is a really good English flake and would a good first foray into the genre

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal 999, Ashton Billiard

Purchased From: local B&M

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (36)
Mild None Detected Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

UPDATE 2015-02-01: What a difference four months in a jar makes. I am upgrading it from 1 star to 3 stars. It has transformed into a full, smoky, earthy, Lat-heavy contemplative blend.

The Latweed dominates, but the bowl is generally smooth and sedate - not boisterous or combative. It can seem simple, but sipping and quiet attention reveals intermittent wisps of sweetness and spiciness that enhance its contemplative nature.

Alas, there is still a tinge of bite, but sipping slowly evades most of it. Perhaps even more time in the jar will resolve this? The bowl burns well to the end, with the nuances continuing to peek out to the last. The Lat hangs heavy on the tongue afterward, in a good way.

Good for a quiet, restful time, or whilst reflecting on the mysteries of the universe.

===================

ORIGINAL REVIEW 2014-09-28: Perhaps I received a bad tin of this blend, but my results are contrary to the other reviews I see here. I found Winter Time Flake horrible. This is the first SG blend I have ever detested.

The tin aroma is not of smoky latakia or virginias, but is instead the aroma is reminiscent of burning tires. No matter, tin aromas are often misleading.

After a bit of drying and rubbing out, it lights moderately easily. However, the burning tire flavor is now pervasive, and in addition, I am unexpectedly experiencing bite from the VAs.

It improves slightly further in, but it is still unpleasant. I had hoped for something akin to, say, Lancer Slices, but instead it seems like a cruel combination of lackluster latakia, SG Black XX, and a hot VA. The room note is at least decent, but the taste this blend leaves in my mouth is most unpleasant. I will jar the rest and hope time can work some magic.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 316

Purchased From: Mars Cigars

wags888 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wags888 (11)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This flake has improved for me in the few months since I last had it. The latakia was definitely predominant, without much refinement. It wasn't smooth, but wasn't punchy. So, nothing stands out memorable about the latakia. It did bite more than I remember. All-in-all, a good blend, but I'm not going to buy more for the cellar.

Pipe Used: Hackert Pot

Age When Smoked: 6 mos.

My experience with this flake seems to mirror DK's to a fair extent. The Lat is easily the main player and in the first 1/3 the Virginias add a little sweetness, tartness and a very mild fruitiness. Unfortunately, the Virginias then fade away into the smoky, woody and mildy spicy notes of the Lat and it becomes monochromatic. The Lat is of good quality. It has a nice smoothness and a touch of creaminess. Really would like a little more staying power from the Virginias though.

Medium in body and taste. No additions detected. Needs a few relights here and there even when bone dry.

Pipe Used: MM Marcus, Country Gentleman, Mark Twain

Blind test #1 and based on about an ounce. I didn't guess the blend but I did guess the blender. I guessed this as Balkan Flake, as I had essentially the same response to this as that one.

Mostly darker thin flakes that was much too wet to smoke without drying. I dried it from "regular dry" to crispy. As usual, it worked better crispy. Latakia was the dominate flavor and it was medium-rich there but the added Virginia brought it closer to mild-medium. This is well named as it would (and did!) work well outdoors in the cold. I found it monochromatic with the omission of orientals or any other condiment. In blends that use just Virginias and latakia, my tastebuds need the Virginias to really pop as they do in McClellands Anniversary, and they just don't here. They provide a base so the blend is not just latakia, but they are completely subservient. I'm not sure what the latakia content is here but it didn't seem all that high... it seemed like the latakia suffocated the Virginia, even though it didn't seem like a lat bomb. And perhaps that's the point. This would be one to keep you warm in the winter, as latakia is often seen as a cold weather blend, particularly a heavier lat blend. If you enjoy latakia that isn't dusty tasting or overly heavy, this might be one to try. Not a repeater for me, however. Then again, neither is Balkan Flake.

Sound Dude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sound Dude (6)

Wow - I really enjoyed this one. I just finished off the tin. Lovely smoky tin note. Nice "beef jerky" flakes. I did fold-n-stuff for the first 2/3 of the tin then rubbed out the rest. Latakia is front and center, but I don't consider it a "Lat bomb" (either that or I'm really liking the lat more and more). Room note is hard to ascertain as I only smoke outdoors. I think this is a great outdoor smoke - even on a cold winter's day. I had most of the tin while visiting Boston when it was very cold out. Just has a great "outdoorsy" aroma and feel to it - weird as that may sound. I also like the aftertaste. Take a breath through your mouth within a half hour of smoking a bowl and it's a nice cool feeling - sort of the feeling after having a mint. I'll definitely order this one again - I enjoyed it a lot! Recommended.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Fresh from P&C

Purchased From: P&C

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (291)

WTF is one that I purchased impulsively right before Christmas. I was at the local B&M buying McClelland's Holiday Spirit as I have for the last two years, neat little tradition and as I was checking out I see this gorgeous snow covered tin. Take note tobacco companies: as with all colorful labels or anything with the words "Autumn, Winter, Haunted, Spooky, Christmas, Halloween, Strong, Scary" Etc. Young Piper is and always has been a sucker for pipe Marketing :-) it was a must have for my collection regardless of contents. I was certainly not disappointed when I got home and looked up reviews on the blend. My tin required a couple of days drying until two notches below crunchy which is perfect for this blend, folded and stuffed is my preferred method for WTF as rubbed out it burned a tad hot. I have enjoyed smoking WTF as a before bed smoke and its quite nice for a strictly Virginia / Latakia blend but honestly I do prefer Orientals providing some complexity in my smoke. I think those that enjoy Lancers Slices or Commonwealth would also enjoy WTF since they are all very similar with light nicotine and in the Medium English category (IMO). No bite, smokes cool and no real complaints on room note but certainly not going to win non smoking friends. Worth buying just for the tin art, high quality tobacco's, recommended, but not a favorite for me.

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Commonwealth Mixture, Charles Fairmorn - Lancer's Slices.

JuanCarlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanCarlos (13)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is an absolutely stunning flake. From the first moment you open the tin a delicious leathery smell makes you fall in love with this labour. This is not a common virginia/latakia flake this is much much more. The smoke is so creamy, flavourfull and rich that, despite it's very slow burning, you want more when finish the bowl. I find the virginias very similar to those used by Master Blender Tony Petty in his english mixtures, maybe i'm smoking argentinian virginias here, who knows? An excellent choice for the flake smokers lads, for the english/flake smokers... heaven!

Pipe Used: Amadeus bent apple

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm a fan of English blends, and this one hits the top of the pops. Beautifully presented flakes, with a moisture content that seems to me to be just perfect. Straight from the tin, an easy rub out, and then a luxurious completely tobacco taste is revealed.

Nothing fancy, nothing fine; just pure tobacco at its finest. It's also perhaps the best burning blend I've ever run across. I finish the bowl (in disappointment) and unload the leavings, which nearly ever time is just a fine grey ash, no lumps, no dottle.

What a fantastic blend.

Winter Flake. I fully agree with the two previous reviews. It is a very simple tobacco albeit very pleasing. The aroma from the unlit tobacco does have a slightly incongruous leather scent to it as previously stated. It is indeed of the perfect moisture level to rub and fill with. The smoke is beautifully thick with a good latakia flavour to it, slight spicy edge and no bite. It is also fine to inhale if you choose to and it also gives a pleasant room note. Very good and really satisfying !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Leandro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leandro (13)

This is a very rich Latakia flake with finest Virginias. Medium strong, easy to light, rub and smoke, and so... Just a good one pure tobacco!

Pipe Used: Old Master Dublin

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I agree with my predecessors. It's no fancy tobacco, rather than simply a great mixture of Virginia and a good portion of Latakia, with a slight addition of Cavendish that mixture gives a certain sweetness, but as an aftertaste. It burns almost perfectly and at the end in the bowl is nothing other than a little white ash. Excellent tobacco - and not just for the winter!

Pipe Used: Davorin Morta Pipes

Age When Smoked: brand fresh, from tin

Purchased From: Dreier, Graz, Austria

Similar Blends: Pirate Kake.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (115)

This is a Lat. forward blend. The flakes came a little drier than most SG flakes and were just perfect right from the tin. On first light I get the smoky, campfire notes that are slightly sweet and a little creamy from the lat. The VA's start in the background but provide a little nuance initially. They do add a little sweetness, mildly tangy but then quickly fall away and the lat. takes over completely. This is a rather one dimensional blend for the most part of the bowl. For me there is no reason to repeat, your mileage may vary.

My third Seasons blend, which I got in the mail. Nice tin picture. Opening the tin, Latakia is forward, as is the underlying VA, which reminds me of two Dan Tobacco blends, Old Ironsides and Holly's Discovery. Closer to Old Ironsides in tin note, I'd say, so there may be some Orientals in the mix.

Once more (after the English Summer and the Springtime Flake from this series), the leaf is rather dry for being distributed by Sam Gawith. Which is a good thing. There is little to no humectant in there, it dries out quickly unless stored properly. The leaf is almost uniformly dark brown, with very few pale highlights.

From the freshly-opened tin I can fold-and-twist, but that way I get too much dottle for my tastes, so I rub out. Lighting may be challenging--I tend to need two matches and sometimes a third one to get this glowing the way it is supposed to be--and a few relights may be needed, particularly when folded. The flavour is Lat-forward (which is good), the VA taking a bit of a back seet but contributing sweetness and fullness enough for me to like this blend. Rubbed out, I end up with little dottle. The room note is, of course, also Latakia-led.

Overall, good effort. The experience makes me wonder whether this was actually put together by Stanislaw or by DTM; it reminds me a lot of the two blends I have listed in the Similar-To section. I favour a dark Bock beer to go with this blend.

On another note, the supposed collaboration between Stanislaw/Gawith and DTM as noted in the blend description in the header area would be a little curious, seeing as Dan Tobacco have only offered this blend starting this year, whereas it seems to have been available elsewhere since 2013. I would have expected DanPipe to offer all the DTM blends from the moment they start tinning them (Dan Tobacco Manufacturing is a subsidiary of DanPipe).

Pipe Used: VAUEN Luxus, MM cobs

Purchased From: House of Smoke, Lingen, Germany

Similar Blends: Dan Tobacco - Old Ironsides (American History Mixtures), Dan Tobacco - Holly's Discovery.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (104)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am surprised, I must admit, for these flakes seem to be so easy going and forgiving. Not that I did not enjoy things such as Navy Flake, Balkan Flake, and so on, but what sets Winter Time Flake apart is this apparent lack of complexity and the fact they are so easy to approach. I can detect some sweetness here and there, and the latakia side of the argument is rather mellow, creamy and so soft on the palate. And the fact they are so easy to crumble due to its thinness and consistent cut will tick another box. Also, I cannot detect any tongue bite and they don't seem to smoke hot in your bowl. In true honesty, I wasn't expecting it. I think I might buy again.