A stronger tobacco with light side proportions of 68% virginia and a dark side of nearly 1/3, including 16% dark-cured Indian leaf, provide a medium strength smoke. The dominant flavour is one of scented almond and this complex top note is achieved by the combination of over 10 different flavours, including Rose Geranium, Vanilla, Rum, Tonquin, Musk, Heliotropin and Rose Fragrances.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Almond, Coffee, Other / Misc, Rum, Sherry, Tonquin Bean, Vanilla, Whisky
Packaging50gr Tin, Bulk
Strength
Taste

3.2
TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Smells like a less aromatic version of the grasmere flake. Rosy, slightly spicy and fruity.

The tobacco once lit produces an excellent smoke (better than all other aromatics from GH), and the aroma is just as good if not better (roses, almonds mostly).

However, the plus side of this tobacco is that the nicotine hit is a tad bit stronger, something which I like more and more now.

Definitely worth trying...

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

It's a bit splendid this one. Definitely a fully flavoured example of the lakeland genre. In the pouch I detect a smidgeon of the violet flavour that I disliked about GH&Co Brown Flake, but in the pipe there is a whole lot more complexity. Yes, that violet note is there but it is quite subdued and I think it mainly contributes to the soapiness of the blend, which is pretty intense when the tobacco is fresh, but dissipates a little after a few days in a jar.

I can also pick out the tonquin, geranium and (now I have read a description to prime my senses) the heliotrope, which is described on basenotes.com as having a sweet vanilla/cherry cough syrup kind of vibe. I am sure there are many other flavours here too, but they are all so interlaced that it is very difficult to identify them as individaul components. What it does mean is that the flavour of the blend morphs and changes, subtley yet continually, as you work your way down the bowl.

All in all it's very delicious.

That tobaccos are the usual GH&Co fare, which is to say that they are excellent. I don't think you would get them to bite if you tried. I rate this one as on the strong side of medium, perhaps thanks to the air-cured component, although this doesn't come through in the flavour as it does in say Coniston Cut Plug or Dark Flake, which is the monster of the GH&Co family in this respect.

My sample came at the perfect moisture level for smoking, possibly due to spending several days stuck in the UK postal system during the run up to Christmas without the benefit of air-tight packaging. This does also mean that the top flavours might have been somewhat diminished, and that a 'fresh from the tobacconist' sample would be even stronger in the lakeland department. The very thought has me salivating!

I don't think I have ever worked my way through a packet of tobacco so quickly. This one joins Coniston Cut Plug and Bosun Cut Plug in my triumvirate of exemplary lakeland flakes. Must get more.

SmokingMySav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingMySav (9)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

There are a lot of scents listed to describe this baccy but there is actually only one - Turkish Delight (roses). Good flake, easy to smoke, not for people who don't like floral scents.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

. . . soap/Lakeland essence and plenty of it . . .

Some folks adore it, others abhor it.

Mark my card for the latter.

Is it Sunlight, Dawn, or Palmolive. I tried to contact Madge the manicurist, to no avail.

All facetiousness aside, this tobacco burns great, packs great and clearly is quality. However for me, far too soapy on the nose and combusting as well. I tried it various clean briars and the outcome was the same.

I cannot recommend this to any of my pipe and cigar friends and I feel the blending house of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. might simply be not my cup of tea; apples and pears.

I agree with the previous reviewer. I have had Kendal Kentucky, Dark Birdseye, and Coconut Twist. I would call this mild to medium in nicotine strength. This is the first true Lakeland I have had by GH, though I did go through a one-ounce sample of Louisiana Flake. I really like this: all those flavors are not at all overwhelming, but manage to convey a pleasant perfume to the smoke. Like they say, I get mainly almond, but a rather flowery almond! This is one of the better balanced Lakelands I have had. It will not bite even if provoked, but it is so much nicer to pet it kindly. Sip it gently, that is. The tobaccos underlying all those scents never rear their heads and become harsh in any way; rather, there is a perfect balance achieved between leaf and topping that make this one a joy to smoke. I am enjoying my present bowl of Kendal Flake with a rather strong, bitter ale (Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale). A libation such as this is a good companion to these lovely yet admittedly flowery British offerings. It cleanses the palate through contrast. Especially suited for nose-blowing, if you are attuned to that art. Great burner, little or no dottle with little maintenance. I will be trying many more of Gawith Hoggarth's offerings in the near future. Get you some, sucka!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I don't know if it's just me, but I find this tobacco very similar to Glengarry Flake, and a lot of what I said in my review of GF applies here.

The manufacturer's description of the casing - Rose Geranium, Vanilla, Rum, Tanquid, Musk, Heliotropin and Rose - led me to think at first that this was going to be another whore's bedroom horror like Ennerdale Flake; but I was very pleasantly surprised. The casing is delicate and, to my palate, not at all ‘soapy' or ‘floral.' Like several reviewers before me, I find that the pouch aroma doesn't much carry over into the smoke itself. BTW: does anyone know what Tanquid is?

Kendal Flake lights well, stays consistent all the way down the bowl, doesn't leave behind any goo to speak of, and has a pleasant room note. It's not exceptionally strong, either, though I see that some people have found otherwise. I find, incidentally, that - for once - this is a flake that's better rubbed out than folded.

A good, slow, cool all-day smoke. Highly recommended, if you like Kendal Flakes. It's certainly joined my list of favourites.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Thanks to fellow reviewer OSR for giving me a sample of this to smoke a year or so ago. I am surprised that I did not post a review after smoking a few bowls.

This G&H offering is certainly scented in the typical Lakeland Flake style. While the G&H trademark flavor is there, so is the nicotine strength and palate pleasing taste.

Rub it out more or simply stuff it in your pipe for a long, slow smoke. An exemplar for the Lakeland Flake lovers among us.

juanmedusa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
juanmedusa (8)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

what can I say, I'm a big fan. I'm a little surprised but I really enjoyed it. to me the soap flavors more of a hand soap like a white bar type flavor but is not a distraction aside from the soap flavor the lake land essence I really enjoy it. to me the strength is kind of similar to peterson's university flake but of course the flavoring a stronger and in the different spectrum . I will buy this in bulk . give it a try but if you're gonna try it after having read all these reviews and still be surprised if there is a little soapiness then you're at fault yourself.

UPDATE, I continue to smoke this but have found the soapiness to have subsided quite a bit. It still seems to be quite a scented flake but now that I'm more acquainted with the Lakeland floral scents I don't interpret it as soap nearly as much. Still love it.

I'm going to go against the party line and call this a "mild to medium" smoke. Obviously, tastes are different and I find this to be a "different" smoke - so outside my norm and so perfectly fitting that it's really bias-dissolving for me.

Beautiful looking medium-dark flake that I got best results from by rubbing out almost completely. The bag aroma from my 2 oz sample scared the daylights out of me. As someone who in the past could barely tolerate the lightest snootful of Lakeland soap, I had low expectations of this one. Very floral smelling. Yet, this added flavoring did nothing but enhance the high quality tobacco and the overall smoking experience. This ended up as a fully-flavored flake with a hint of the florals in the taste, and it worked flawlessly from lightup to dottle. I know there are added flavorings in this blend, but they are so expertly applied that I view this as a "natural" tobacco. I smoke a lot of "subtly enhanced" tobaccos, particularly burleys. In those cases, as in this one, if I wanted pure and natural, I can find it. Smoking this blend simply made me want to smoke more of it. I can't give a higher recommendation than that.

A few puffs or half a bowl will not tell the story behind this blend. Neither does it require 50 grams. Just put your biases aside as I did and smoke a nice leisurely bowl or two. Granted, this is not for everyone, but if I'm any indication, this is for a lot more people than they realize. Highly recommended. This blend has hit my Top 10 and I expect to never be without it in my cellar or tobacco jar.

Lord Byron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Byron (11)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is another masterfully blended flake from G&H. Being a fan of all things Kendall I was not surprised that I took to this one immediately. The topping in Kendall flake is strong, highly floral and simply brilliant with the sweet Virginias underneath. I found Kendall to be on the sharper side and was not sure if this was the effect of the topping or the leaf itself but it did take some getting used to. The primary flavor I detected was the rose geranium although there were other undiscernable floral notes in the background. There is a particular essence in Kendall that is used in LA Flake as well that I have grown very fond of. Not sure if it?s the almond or the heliotropin but it is quite pleasant, great for warm weather smokes.

(for more on heliotropin go to http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/phytochemicals/pages/heliotropin.html)

Once the topping settles in, there is a slight bitterness in the first third just before it hits the zone. And the zone with this flake is quite remarkable. I believe that Danno mentioned similarities to the last third of FVF; that was my exact impression as well. The ?honey baked? sweetness remains until the end with the bitterness of the floral weaving in and out. In a word?delicious.

My batch came on the dry side and I had to re-humidify otherwise it seemed to burn a little hot. Once the moisture content was adequate it burned quite nicely and preferred a smaller bowl with slow sipping. Although I love the intensity of Kendall from an overall flavor standpoint I personally would not make it an everyday smoke. I have a half pound aging at the moment and will always keep some on hand for those times when I need my floral fix, which seems to be quite frequently here lately. Highly recommended.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

God bless those pipe smokers who like and enjoy Lakeland flakes. I have always been puzzled why some enjoy a soapy, floral and perfumy tobacco that, for me, brought to mind what were probably the scents and aromas of an 18th century French courtesan?s boudoir rather than those of a cool and airy, sun drenched tobacco field after a pre-dawn, morning mist, i.e., I like more natural flavors and tastes in my tobaccos. Kendal Flake did not provide the latter although the nic kick was to my liking. But, as always, to each his own.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 7.0 out of 10.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

08/08/03 You know, I can't believe I like this tobacco. I generally prefer a natural VA flake, but I found Kendal Flake to have a wonderful flavor that is quite unique. The pouch aroma can be a bit intimidating for someone not used to scented flakes. But once I got past the mental block, I came to appreciate the wonderful synergy the flavors and the tobacco produce. The folks at Gawith Hoggarth really have a way with VA flakes.

Another way I enjoy Kendall Flake is to prepare a "sandwich" with Glengarry Flake. Glengarry Flake is much lighter than Kendall Flake and complements the latter nicely. A sandwich is prepared by folding a flake of each together and packing the pipe normally.

Update 12/26/06 After smoking Kendal Flake for over three years, I can now upgrade it to 4 stars or highly recommended. Along with Ennerdale Flake, this is one of the great scented flakes from Gawith Hoggarth. It burns perfectly, tastes wonderful, and has a pretty strong nicotine hit. What more could you ask for? I no longer feel like KF tastes soapy; I can taste the wonderful flavors that complement the tobacco so well. My next step is to dedicate a pipe to Kendal Flake rather than just to scented flakes in general. It goes perfectly with a strong cup of black coffee.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Put this in your pipe and everything will be coming up roses. Literarlly. This is one of the most highly flavored of the "British Aromatics", but it is not as strong, noxious or persistant as, say, 1792 or RB plug. Rather it is sweet, flamboyant, herbal and floral. There is probably a trace of soapiness, but if so, it's hotel soap scented with geraniums and I can hardly detect it.

I pack this in a large pipe, especially one with a large bowl diameter, mostly unrubbed out, such as a Bjarne giant, and settle down.

The first 1/4 of the bowl can be a bit offputting in its intensity of non tobacco scents, which is a shame, because the "zone" of this tobacco is a trip to heaven. The combination of flavorings and the high quality VA flake result in a sweet, bite free, intense, somewhat intoxicating experience.

Too profoundly flavored for me to be a daily smoke, I still have 3-4 bowls a week. I have found nothing like it.

**Update

I've now gone through a pound of KF in a little over a year. I'd like to add that I consider it an great hot weather smoke, and a possible alternative for those who do not like burley.

Yesterday the temp was 88 deg and high humidity, and, on the porch, a bowl of Kendal Flake was, as the other reviewer mentioned, like a glass of cool lemonade. The equal (in strength) and opposite (in character) of a heavy Latakia blend. Or to put it another way, if a heavy English is like a good single malt scotch, then Kendal Flake is a frozen Strawberry Daquiri (and not a wimpy one).

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Tolerable

Four years ago if you'd told me that this would be my favorite tobacco I'd have laughed in your face and called you a loon!

Get past the smell of this flake, don't let it bother you. I prefer to pull one flake from my humidor and let it sit out for a half hour or so.

Then I'll roll the flake into a log and push it into the bowl of the pipe, almost all of the way down but not CRAMMING it into the bowl. In this way I leave the bottom fifth of the bowl empty, but not for long.

Upon lighting this tobacco I get a sweet taste of the flavouring but it doesn't last long - what comes through upon getting the bowl lit and properly tamped is a rich, round taste with just a hint of flavouring. It's so traditionally English that it will make you spell flavoUr with a "U".

I don't call the flavouring 'soapy' here; I'm also a fan of G&H Rum Flake and it has a hint of that 'soapy' taste. This tobacco is not 'soapy', it's a very unique experience and I thoroughly enjoy it.

The tobacco smokes very cool and dry all the way down the bowl and get a little nicotine heavy at the end but hey, I like that part of it. I can smoke two bowls of this back to back and never get tongue bite - and I'm a heavy puffer.

To break it all down, if you like a rich, round and flavored smoke that's NOT 'soapy' and you like full strength then try this blend in a good smoker/knockaround pipe.

Get by the smell of the tobacco when you open the pouch because it tastes nothing like it smells. Somehow these flavourings all add up into a delightful bittersweet taste that is like no other.

I like it - and I can't believe it!

UPDATE 3/22/04

I've updated the flavoring to "Medium to Strong". After smoking this tobacco for a while I've found that in dedicated pipes, the flavoring has become a bit more pronounced. Still, it's one of my favorites.

Just one more bit here - you owe it to yourself to try some of these flakes. These Lakeland style flakes have been popular for a long time, for a reason. Sure, they're not for everybody - but what is?

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an unusual smoke for me. It is hard to know exactly how to describe it. There is a floral, herbal thing going on. I don't taste almonds which other reviewers find. There is a quality balanced Virginia based that has tart and sweet and maybe a whiff of citrus - although it is hard to know just where the topping ends and the tobacco starts for me.

On first light, I get a whiff of soap. That is the infamous "lakeland" I guess. After that first whiff, it is an aromatic Virginia that is quite good. It is not something I will keep in stock, but if I had the chance to smoke it again I would. I can see how some people are very fond of this.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Medium Strength, Nice Unusual Flavor, No Bite, White Ash Burn.

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (31)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

I love GH flakes. Especially those which are in bulk. They're thick, beautiful, and rich and they have a very nice mouth-feel when smoked. This may be my favorite tobacco of those I've sampled from GH. The flavors/scents are not overpowering, but definitely present and are an excellent complement to the tobaccos. It's a mixture of some relatively strong tobaccos, but, to me, it never really overpowers in Vitamin N. This one, to my taste, seems to have more of the floral scents than the others and less of the vanilla/licorice/tonquin flavors of, say, Ennerdale(which I also like). Personally, I refer GH to SG when it comes to tobaccos. SG tobaccos always come too wet to smoke and they really have seemed to be mediocre experiences. But I digress.

I don't know if this could classify as an all-day tobacco, as it is definitely a bit over-the-top. However, I have to stop myself from smoking this instead of other blends that I have. An impressive flake tobacco, in my opinion.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here's a classic lakeland flake with the floral notes that some would find overmuch. It is not an everyday for me, but it is great especially outdoors on a breezy day. The bold flavor holds up with all the air. Indoors, it is good. The room note has not sent the wife to the other part of the room so it is okay. If you don't like the geraniums, leave it. If you like zip in your virginia flakes, give it a try.

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A nicely prepared flake in the usual GH way; neat and beautiful to look at. Arrives at a good moisture level for immediate smoking. I couldn't pick up on any almond scent at all while sniffing the bag content. Overall it was like an extremely mild version of Brown Flake Scented as far as bag aroma; really very little bag aroma. Loaded and lit with ease. There is an overall bitter-sweet taste to this which is fine with me. What I did notice on occasion and liked a lot was in the side stream - there was the faintest cherry-like smell; I'm suspecting from the Heliotrope, very delightful. I could not identify any of the other flavorings individually with the exception of what PipesterJim calls violet, again, only on occasion and very, very light at that. No bite, heat, or gurgle. The overall experience was very satisfying, albeit mild. No soap with this one and certainly not floral. A solid offering that can easily satisfy as an every day smoke. Highly recommended.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Grasmere Flake has Rose and Geranium florals; this is a real potpourri of scents (and, to me, even spices) on top of those. By itself, it just overwhelms my taste buds (albeit in a fairly good way). Cut 1/2 K Flake and 1/2 either Walnut Flake or St Bruno, I find it very pleasurable.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I purchased a full 500g that came in the G&H Kendal box. Nice soft light brown to gray flakes that broke up easily. I loaded an old Comoy billiard sandblast and lit the tobacco. It took the flame well and stayed lit. Billows of full to medium smoke started it's magic. I did not detect any "soapy" scent or any Lilac Vegital. I did get the almond and rose essence and it was remarkably nice. Laced into the tobacco, the almond, rose and whatever else is used in this blend works great and makes the taste of the smoke and nose scent friendly and tastey. It should be enjoyed slowly to really meet the floavours. Nicotene was hearty but not over the top. I really am surprized that I like this!

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

While not scented as heavy as Ennerdale Flake, Kendal Flake is fuller bodied and in such has more tobacco flavor. The scents aromas and actual flavors remain consistent throughout the entire bowl working in perfect harmony with the flavors of the tobacco. KF is consistent and it smokes smooth, cool and dry and tastes the same regardless of prep method. Smooth with a really creamy mouth feel like no other with a solid medium body and flavor. It also has the perfect amount of vitamin "N" which leaves me completely satisfied at bowl end, This one I only smoke indoors when relaxing with a quiet, contemplative mind. Tis happily In my rotation and has been for years.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is my favorite of the Lakeland scented flakes, which is saying a lot at this point. A medium-bodied, medium-strength flake that has a delightful array of flavors applied. Don't be scared off by the ingredients list, as the combination of "scents" is applied in a more restrained manner than in, say, Ennerdale. What is not lacking is the bitter-sweet "floral" taste that so many smokers seem to hate (and I love). This is the most flowery of G&H's offerings, and the flavor remains the same all the way to the bottom. What's curious here is that you can still taste the top-notch VAs -- I don't know G&H manages to pull off this hat trick, but I wish that other aromatic blenders would learn a thing or two from them.

The flakes smoke equally well intact or rubbed out. You may have to relight a few times, but the tobacco stays remarkably cool from first to last. No bite to speak of. Easily a four-star blend.

renwardhoop Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renwardhoop (59)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

A not-altogether flavourless flake from G & H.

I agree with most reviewers that the initial tin aroma doesn't follow through to the smoke. But then, not many do.

Almonds ? No.

All those other flavours ? Nah.

Mrs RH did think she got a whiff of Rose....

Scores ok on the room note then...

Not a bad flake but it doesn't really have any outstanding qualities of note. Won't rush to buy any more.

stephenspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stephenspring (13)
Strong Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When it comes to this flake, I feel like the aromatic smoker who cracks a tin of full bodied English with its pungent aroma and goes "yuk!" in reverse. This is a very well made flake; however, I agree with those reviewers who mentioned floral, SOAPY flavor. I'm afraid three puffs was all I could take. I enjoy some aromatics from time to time, but for me, this ain't it. It's a first class tobacco like all GH's products, it's definitely just not for me.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Although I don't taste anything close to almond in this Kendal Flake, I'm sure that all the above, even the ones I can't identify, are there...What in the world is Heliotropin? It's got something to do with Sassafras. And Tanquid---no idea. The only Musk I know of is a greasy secretion from a glandular sac. Well, with all these extracts and juices and scents and stuff, this may sound like a frightening smoke. I guess it could be. But, fear not-- it's tasteriffic!

As always, with Gawith Hoggarth, the base tobaccos are cured and blended to have strong enough flavor to carry the casing. At first light, there's a rush of floral and and slightly sour tastes. Then comes the Dark Side, as mentioned in the tin description above. It smokes great and, like Bob's Chocolate, is much fun to rub out. For more information, read Blowfish and OSR's reviews...I can't add much to what they've said. This is truly a carnival for the senses.

(It also mixes well -50/50- with Bob's square cut)

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike some of the GH Flakes that use multiple flavorings, the combination of flavorings used in Kendal Flake sits well on my palate.

I find this one to be a nicely flavored, satisfying, medium strength smoke. I enjoy this much more than Ennerdale Flake.

If you haven't tried the GH flakes, you should order a small quantity of several of the ones that interest you. Once you find the ones that have the right combination of flavorings for your taste buds, they are really quite good.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best Lakeland Flakes.

There's not much that can be added to the existing body of reviews. It's a flamboyant, herbal flake, that always satisfies. Although, it can be a little rough at the back and lacks the milky tea taste that softens the whole flavour in Samuel Gawith's KCF deluxe. As such, I'd favour the latter but it's a really close call.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I recieved several flkaes recently and this is the one I finished first. My review may be a bit off for the pouch this came in had a lil hole in it which did not effect the moisture of the tobacco so much but I believe let the tobacco air out a bit. The result was a tobacco with less of the mention Lakeland floral flavor or at least to me it seemed to be present but not overwhelming. I liked this. It does not bite though please keep the smoking pace slowish like you would for any Virginia, and it burns very clean. A good relaxing flake.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Update: After smoking many pounds of Kendal Flake over the last two plus years, it is still a favorite and I enjoy it now more than ever. If you like this Flake dedicate a few pipes to it. It ages supurbly and I'm glad I have tons of this cellered.

Original Review: 04/22/2005 - Kendal Flake is a true Lakeland offering, semi sweet and a full, rich smoking experience. Rubbed out, rolled or stuffed, it provides a slow, cool and dry smoke. Upon the initial light, a strong aroma of Almond and Rose rushes forth that reminds me of the scent of the old Rose Milk hand lotion. After the bowl gets going, the flavorings settle down. Around mid-bowl, the Almond gives way to the Rose flavor/aroma and a nice natural Virginia flavor pokes through the exceptionally cool smoke. Approaching the final third of the bowl, the nicotine content has developed strength nicely and a very pleasing taste coats the tongue and palate which remains for some time after the bowl is finished. It burns even and complete, into a dry white ash. Hitting the ?zone? with this tobacco is simply Nirvana. In my humble opinion, this is simply the quintessence of Lakeland Flakes.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)

I came into a quarter-pound of KF, through a friend. I had never sampled it prior. Just over a week later, it is disappearing at an alarming rate and has a semi-permanent home in a group four Vesz apple. I read the list of essences applied to this flake but in all honesty I only detect roses. That said I prefer to smoke it on the dry side, which may cause the gentler bouquets to vanish. Taste-wise KF reminds me of the bottom third of a bowl of FVF, dark, toasty and inherently 'Lakeland'. I enjoy it very much, and will likely smoke KF in lieu of St. Bruno, as it is available with much less hunting than the esteemed latter.

kevin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kevin (7)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I just didn't get on with this tobacco. It tasted terrible to me and I found the nicotine hit way too high - and I have smoked Condor and St Bruno and lived to tell the tale. It lights and burns well and smells great in the pouch - but did nothing else for me apart from leaving me feeling rather ill afterwards!

Idiom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Idiom (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not too sure what to make of this really, Kendal Flake is a prefectly good flake that I expect I could get to quite like if I smoked enough of it.. I just can't get over the rose flavouring, when you first light the bowl you get a strong blast of flowers thats rather like inhaling a bathroom freshener. The rose flavour backs down once the bowl is properly lit and tamped but its too much for me, as shame as its an exceptionally cool smoke.

I'm sure I could get to like this flake more but I can't see thats its worth the effort when there are so many other flakes out there.

Edit: I have since smoked some Best Brown Flake which is very similar to the Kendal flake, almost identical infact except without the rose air freshener taste. I prefer the best brown and am giving it 3 stars so i'm downgrading this to 2.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I didn't particularly like this tobacco. You know how you can develop a liking or disliking for a particular brand. I seem to have a problem with G & H tobaccos. This one was nice in every way except it had a very strong taste of "Soap". Lighted and burned nicely. The tobacco had a very nice aroma. But there was always that taste of Ajax.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know how one can take all of the flavorings that GH & Co. uses in this tobacco and make them work, but they have done it here. Kendall Flake has a fairly overwhelming pouch aroma, and it seems that the dominant scent is the almond.

Kendall Flake, at first light, comes across like gang busters and you wonder "what have I done!?" but soon it settles down and you sense the presence of excellent quality tobaccos. The flavorings never leave but Kendall Flake still comes across as a rich smoking axperience. Rich and somewhat sweet, KF fills your palate with layers upon layers of flavors. If you are looking for a monochromatic smoking experience, well, this isn't it.

Toward the end of the bowl, it is easy to forget the flavorings and florals as Kendall Flake is now running on all eight cylinders. KF burns evenly and completely, leaving the walls of your bowl clean. A dry mottled white ash is left in the bottom of your bowl. The nicotine content is a little higher than average.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong Very Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This blend is a taste explosion from the get-go. It packs easily and just needs usually one re-light. As with any flake one can 'size' it for any bowl. I find that a medium half-bent is right for this smoker with this blend. I initially bought this tobacco on a whim but it has made it to my regular rotation. I find it throughly refreshing and a great change of pace. This is not an all-day smoke. It is more like having a big cold glass of ice tea on a sweltering Summer Day. The predominant flavor to me is that of the almond and rose with the high quality virginia playing in and out of the bowl as one descends down the smoke. It burns to a fine grey/white ash without heel moisture. A final note, I have two pipes that I use exclusively with this blend, since the scent remains even after the cleanout of the pipes.

June 2012 - I have to upgrade this blend to 4 Stars

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Others have documented the details of this blend so I will not repeat that ground. Yes - super flowery, so much so that the first few bowls of it you will likely be able to discern little else. The tobacco is there, just overwhelmed.

At first I didn't think it had much complexity or depth beyond a decent VA with lots of aroma and flavor. I think the flavor becomes a bit more multilayered as you move through a sample. Especially when using DGT on a bowl. But I do not think it is so engaging as to become a smoke I crave.

While a good highly aromatic smoke, I find it a bit much for regular consumption. It is consistent in flavor from top to bottom with little variation. A good reliable dark and strongly flavored tobacco which settles in to a fairly smooth smoke. I found Glengarry Flake to be a bit more initially intense, but in the long run more complex and flavorful.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Take your significant-other's bath crystals and pour them onto some good virginia flake and you've got Kendal. Now some might think this is a bad thing...I don't! But I can't mince words here folks: this stuff is very "soapy", flowery and perfumy. It also has great Va flavour and packs wallop to boot. For me, smoking this tobacco results in a major binge when nothing else seems right, but it will also satisfy Va lovers as an occasional change of pace when the usual suspects come up stale. The flake rubs, packs, and lights well, provided it isn't too moist. A very unusual, flowery taste that leaves little middle gound: you will likely love it or hate it. I would recommend using a cob, yard pipe or a briar dedicated to flavoured tobaccos, as this will leave its mark.