Reviews: 72094 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

Straight Red Virginia from the Old Belt. A flake version of Red Ribbon. A single crop allotment that is simply the best. 2008 Crop from North Carolina.

Notes: Fourth version of the Red Flake imprint. Previous versions used crops of 1983, 1996, and the 2000 vintages.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland

The red Virginia is richly tangy sweet, dark and ripe fruity with a touch of earth. Not much complexity, but that's the way red Va.s are. Burns well and even with a consistent smooth, creamy flavor, with just a little moisture at the finish. I did notice a little vinegar at the start, but it disappeared after just a few puffs. I really couldn't tell much difference between this and the vintage 2000 version. Nor could I really tell much difference between this and the 2008 ribbon version, except for this has a tiny bit more depth of flavor.

Mine came as a mostly broken flake and I rubbed it out. My sample was at a good state of hydration - maybe a little on the dry side of perfect. Pouch note was slightly tart fruit.

Smoked, this was a very good red Va. It was sweet and earthy. Exhaling through the nose gave some spicy tickle. For me this is a smoke about like 5100 - a good, solid red Va. There is maybe more of a dark fruit in the flavor than 5100, but they are cousins. Puffing brought out the tart.

This delivers a long smoke, and the pressing seems to have left it fairly dense even when rubbed out. It was easy to keep lit, and the flavor was consistent to the bottom of the bowl.

This is good, and the eight years of age can't have hurt it. If someone offers you a bowl, go for it. For me it is not worth seeking out. if I had a case of it on a desert island, I would smoke a lot of it and be very grateful.

Blew_Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blew_Smoke (3)

This tin had to grow on me. I was going thru a phase where I only wanted to smoke lat bombs, and this one was stowed away and nearly forgotten in my desk. At first puff, I thought it lacked flavor. When I came back to it a couple of months later, tired of living and breathing latakia all the time, I found red flake to be refreshing. It reminds me very much of sweet tea with a lemon wedge in that there is a lot of natural sweetness and a little citrus, and a mild and comforting flavor. Some don't like to rub out a broken flake, but I enjoy it. I think it holds the flavor in and I like having the option to include a variety of sizes of flake pieces in the bowl. I don't believe the ribbon cut would have held the flavor in my desk drawer the way the flake did for a couple of months. Red Flake has become my go to smoke in the mornings with my coffee. They just go together beautifully. There is a little moisture toward the bottom of the bowl, but not at all too much. I had 15 tins of various latakia mixtures and I have set them all to the side to finish the tin of red flake. After running out, I tried to go back to the lat bombs, but couldn't. I made my way back to McCranies today and picked up another tin, along with some other virginias. I believe my taste-tides are turning towards this sweet leaf and McCranies red flake was the turning point. 4 stars all day for the sweet, reliable flavor that doesn't change, and for pulling me back in!

Pipe Used: Cob/Clay/Churchill

Purchased From: McCranie's Charlotte NC

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Not as much depth as the original or 2000 version, but that may just be the fact that it has not been given the time to age a lot. However, much sweeter than the 83 crop and lighter in nicotine than the 2000 crop. Another truly enjoyable Red Virginia smoke for those who appreciate top shelf single crop Virginia.