From Pipes&Cigars' website: This is a Match of the original House of Windsor Barking Dog. This is one of the quintessential American English blends made of nutty cube-cut Burley, Latakia and a touch of bright Virginia - old-fashioned and comforting.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia
FlavoringRum
CutCube
Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste

The latakia provides a smoky base note to the main star, which is the earthy, nutty white burley. The burley is quality choice as is the lemon Virginia that adds an enjoyable tangy sweetness. The rum topping is mildly applied. Burns perfectly to the very end, and has a multiplicity of flavors that don't crowd each other out. The original was different several ways: the burley wasn’t as sweet, the Virginia was more hay-like and less sweet, and the topping was fainter than the Match. For the most part, the flavors are same in both versions, but they are a little deeper in the Match than they are in the original. It may also be that a little of the flavors have faded from the original, which would result in my observation in the previous sentence. The Match was freshly produced. The cut is the same, and both burn without leaving any dottle, though the original tended to be a little harsher after the half way point, and was a little rougher, less refined smoke. That is not true of the Match.

I rated the original at two stars and a half stars.

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (81)

This blend really resonates with me. I'm a huge fan of 4 Noggins Bald Headed Teacher, and, clearly, Barking Dog is where that blend comes from, in fact, it's almost a complete knockoff. The only difference I can determine, as I smoked both of them side by side, is that BHT is more flavorful and is a different cut than the match, other than that, they are nearly identical (the match is a cube cut, whereas BHT is more of a ribbon. Both are really nice blends).

Like the other match blends I've tried before, I've not smoked the original, but, if Barking Dog was anything like the match, the pipe world is missing a classic, fortunately, there is a match (two of them apparently), and this makes me really happy.

Barking Dog match is a very good blend, I recommend it and give it a strong three stars.

Keep on Pipin'

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent w/filter

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Bald Headed Teacher.

zackthedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zackthedog (1)

I am not familiar with the original HOW Barking Dog but this is a very nice American "English" blend. It's got character but doesn't bite. The balance of sweet and smokey is just right. Often these sorts of blends can be "murky" tasting, but here the flavors are distinct and pleasing. If there's a topping, I can't detect it, which is fine by me. This has become my everyday smoke. If you are used to something more sophisticated you probably will find it a bit bland, but I find it very satisfying and never tire of it.

Pipe Used: corn cob

poppy43 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
poppy43 (10)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is a coarse(chopped) cut tobacco. It's an ok tobacco but I don't think I'll ever buy it again. It just seems to lack a lot of flavor. If it was the only tobacco available, yeah I'd buy it, because like I said it's ok. I find the best way to load the pipe is to gravity feed, tamp lightly and light up. All in all, it would do in a pinch, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere. However, if someone wants to try a light American/English, this might be a good one.

Pipe Used: kaywoodie