This came out so good I wouldn't be surprised if it gets re-named and re-released under the Bastard Blend series as a year round offering!

We LOVE Burley at Watch City. The best quality blending Burley, in our opinion, has a coarse, almost granular cut (think Grape Nuts Cereal), needs little to no casing and has a light naturally sweet nutty and slightly earthy flavor with no bite. This Christmas blend nails it! Packs and lights like a dream and is mild yet flavorful enough to be smoked ant time of day!

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q
Blend TypeBurley Based
FlavoringDeer Tongue
Strength
Taste

Mostly sandy colored cross between a plug-type cut and a quasi-ribbon with a deep heady smell of good burley. Plus a sort of vanilla topping. I also smell something akin to coconut but didn't taste any. In fact the flavoring seemed very Christmas-y and not just plain old vanilla. Perhaps some eggnog or rum toddy? I'm terrible at placing non-tobacco flavors.

Watch City may process some of the best burley in existence. It's always nutty and slightly sweet and possesses good body and the mouthfeel of excellent leaf. This is the main flavor of this blend. Jolly Bastard could be viewed as the vanilla equivalent to Deluxe Crumb Cut's chocolate. Whereas that one replaced a few blends in my rotation, this one falls short, and I don't exactly know the cause. Could be I prefer chocolate to vanilla with my burley (trying not to over analyze!). At any rate, this Christmas-type blend was just ordinary enough that I'm fine keeping the last 2 oz but not buying more. Deluxe Crumb Cut holds the place in my rotation where this one would go. Once again, Ernie Q has created something unique, but it just misses my wheelhouse. Try this if you love excellent burley in an easy-to-maintain cut and want a light aromatic to boot.

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits)

I tried this blend after reading the description and SteelCowboy's review. I wanted a taste of some 'old codger' Burley aromatic and this seemed a safe bet. It comes fully rubbed out and granular, rich brown in colour and has a nice soft sweet Vanilla like aroma. Took a quick light and stayed lit with little touch ups. This is a very mild aromatic, for sure. The sweetness is soft and smooth and the casing is just barely noticeable. Burley is the real strong star for this blend. I'm not too well acquainted with the nuances of Burley, so I think I'm going to come up a little short on this review in that respect. However, it was mildly woody and somewhat dry, a little ashy my first time, but maybe that's just my inexperience in smoking this type of blend. Got a little tongue bite when I tried chasing some flavours with extra puffs, but nothing too harsh. A somewhat cigarette like after taste when I was finished smoking this. A decent blend that I will keep revisiting, but I'm not sure I am completely sold on this one.

Pipe Used: Estate - French Briar Bent Rhodesian

Age When Smoked: unknown/Fresh purchased

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Every Christmas morning, I have a tradition of smoking a new Christmas blend as we have our coffee and exchange gifts. This year’s blend was Watch City’s Jolly Bastard and it didn’t disappoint me or others in our living room. JB is a lightly cased burley that can best be described as “Old School.” It reminds me of old aromatic Burley blends from yesteryear. It’s fairly dry to the touch and smokes with a light sweetness that blends nicely with the nutty Burley. Jolly Bastard burns cleanly and didn’t become bitter as some blends of this genre can become. I am not sure is Watch City is making this blend available for future Christmases, but if so, it’s worth a smoke for those that like that old time flavor.

Pipe Used: Bulldog