As Dark Flake unscented but, from the cake, the tobacco is cut into bars. A very strong, but very cool smoke is the result of combining in equal proportions only Malawi Dark Fired Leaf and Indian dark air-cured leaf. No additional flavours. You can smell in this tobacco the Smokey flavour of the dark fired leaf derived from its curing process of being hung above smoky fires, and the sweeter, yet still strong 'cigar type' flavour of the dark-air-cured Indian leaf.

Notes: Aromatics: Lakeland Essence

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutPlug
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full

3.8
Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

G, H & Co.'s Dark Plug is not smoked for it's room note, or its ease of preparation. It is not a casual or quick smoke. Dark Plug is an English classic smoked when one has time to savor the subtle and natural flavors that mingle in its densely packed layers.

I smoke plugs by preparing it in a cube cut, pieces about 3-4 mm. No need to dry or rub out. Fill the bowl by gravity and do not pack it down. It burns easily this way.

The Lakeland essence is very lightly applied, and the occasional soapy floral notes are not a problem in this one. There is a pleasant sweetness typical of dark fired Virginias.

The nicotine, one of the strongest doses I have ever experienced, is quite evident after just a few puffs.

It pairs best with a view of the sea, and Herman Melville, and a prayer of thanksgiving to the Creator.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I was recommended this one a while back on a forum after deciding to try and give plugs a go, Why it took me so long I don't know, but recently I decided to finally take the plunge and got 50g of the aromatic stuff.

The aroma in the packet is one of turkish delight, a strong one too and just as delicious. The bar itself is unlike the small blocks I'm used to getting but the gorgeous array of dark layers are nonetheless appealing. It is quite crumbly, less so that Revor Plug but more than other plugs I've come across. This make for easy rubbing out and packing, though slicing off flakes isn't really practical, so if this is your thing keep this under advisement. It's a little on the damp side so some drying is in order to avoid those relights. The flavour starts off in much the same vein as the aroma and gives a few hints of lemon too. This fades during the smoke, giving way to something more cigar like, still absolutely stunning if a little on the dark side. Hints of toffee also ensue on occasion, giving little sweet undercurrents to it. On the nic front, this is a super strong one, probably the strongest tobacco I've had the luck to try, so those of a more delicate disposition on this front might want to avoid this or smoke it in small doses.

This is easily not only the nicest plug I have tried, and that's amongst some stiff competition from the likes of 3P's and JackKnife, it probably one of the nicest tobaccos I've had full stop. Probably what wins it over for me is the cigar flavour. I've missed cigars since I took up the pipe, though their expense has long since prevented me from indulging them to any meaningful extent anyway. Now I don't have to worry on this score as I plan to keep this stuff on hand for whenever I need a good puff on a long chunky one. A cracking substitute for good cigars when they're not available and easily earns full stars and continuing place in my cellar.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gent

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (54)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

A dark brown plug that easily splits into constituent layers. It has ideal moisture content and does not require drying. I sliced and rubbed out and then rubbed out again and packed somewhat firmer than usual.

The pouch note has a distinct lakeland note.

Takes a few lights to get underway but requires little attention from then on.

The lakeland essence only barely survives burning. It drifts in and out over the course of the smoke. As others have noted it has a cigar like aroma, but it is not exactly so. This is its own fragrance; smoky and rich and beautifully weighted. There is some pepper on the tongue and some pleasant acidity too. Burns very cool and without bite.

I am enjoying a bowl in late Autumn, on a wet windy night, in the kitchen, after a lovely meal of roast lamb. This quiet, kitchen hearth setting feels just perfect for this equally down to earth tobacco.

Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

You like the cigar taste in your pipe tobacco? Then, here's a plug (pun intended, unfortunately for you) for this plug. Yeah, it's got that Lakeland essence, but it doesn't ruin the experience. The Virginia/burley flavors are wonderful and, from time to time as you smoke your way through a bowl, one becomes more obvious than the other in short bursts. The floral and hay notes are complimentary to the other components. It takes a little extra work, as plug tobacco always does, but dry it a little and you'll have a great smoke. But puff slow and eat well first or you'll be laying back in your chair wondering what Madame Nicotine hit you with! I find it deeper and richer in flavor than the Dark Flake, and a little sweeter, too.

grymmeller Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grymmeller (4)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Kendal Dark Plug Aromatic from Gawith Hogarth,I love this one,full sweet taste,a whirlwind of cool virginasmoke

in my moth and nasal cavitys it´s ideal to consume using the "french inhalation"style smoking and it burns safe and

even to the bottom of the bowl without getting foul in taste.This tobacco must be prepared for consumption with a

sharp knife or a windowcleaners razorblade with some tape in the end to prevent fingers from soaking the KDPA

with eagertosmoke blood.I use to cut it in 1-2mm thick flakes wich I rub out in a manner that gives me everything

from tobaccodust up to small chunks.I fill the bowl with the chunks at the bottom of the bowl and progressing

upwards with the finer texrures until I sprinkle the dust as a last preparation for a proper lightup.I smoke this

tobacco preferably in a small Petersonpipe,bent systemstyle and it fits for both shy puffing and aggressive drawing

inbetween.That thick white smoke grants for a nice close up from a hardworksday.Four stars!

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Dark plug and Dark flake are congenerous blends but do notably differ. The obvious difference being the Dark flake has been pre-cut into flakes. Some of the more subtle differences between the two would be like comparing a Pepsi from yesteryears glass bottles to a Pepsi from an aluminum can, while the initial product is the same, the taste does vary.

This is a strong, old fashioned, Dark-Fired Virginia/Burley blend in a thick, compact black plug, full of flavor and nicotine. Available in the US from Marscigars. This tobacco is not for those delicate flowers seeking hints of this or that or for those who find satisfaction in stuff like 1-Q. But rather it is for lovers of strong leaf and for those with a penchant for pain.

Very Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

Before trying Dark Plug, I loathed the soapy flavor from Lakeland tobaccos. I even disliked Dunhill Light Flake, being on the very light side of the spectrum. Dark Plug has tought me how to enjoy this in a way I've never expected. Every puff is a pleasure only matched by my favorite Virginias. And it lasts longer, considering that due to its strength, I set it aside quite a few times during a bowl to recover from the nicotine kick. Not for long thou, since my palate is always eager for another puff.

Slice a few flakes, rub them out, load a small chamber pipe and enjoy the ride.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Unscented Dark Plug. I use a very sharp knife and shave this into almost hair fine shag. Load lightly for best results, and sip slowly. No bite, no soap. A nice nicotine delivery system,especially in a clay churchwarden, and a morning smoke if you want to dance the Masochism Tango.

Great stuff, but not for newbies.

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Very Strong Mild Full Pleasant

Very easy to work with, moist flakes can be made very easily but they burn well without any drying. The cut flakes are best, IMO, smoked very well rubbed out. Taste is extra good, without harshness which is sometimes what you get from the Dark Flake. Burn is sporadic and variable. I've had to re-light on a bowlful many times. This doesn't seem to keep me away from it at all. Sometimes it's a welcome break from such a potent thing as this, the nico-hit was easily controlled by letting it gently go out. DGT is very highly recommended, even up to a week's wait will do this no harm, conversely much good!

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

This starts off with a peppered steak sort of taste, a bit harsh on the throat, very strong and takes a lot of work to keep lit. Decent cigar like flavour though

Poppy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Poppy (23)
Extremely Strong Mild Full Pleasant

This tobacco have a good taste, but so strong with nicotine, it's sometime hard to smoke a entire bowl. If you like it I recommande to try Semois La brumeuse of V. Manil, little bite less strong but with the same taste.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I like the Dark series, and probably like Dark Flake the best, because I like the cut and the way it burns. Dark Plug is a close second. The control over the preparation is the biggest feature, but the flip side is that the effort required to prepare it can be a bit of a hassle. Very strong in the nicotine department, also lots of flavor, can be a bit overwhelming.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is not one of my every day smokes since I normally prefer English blends, but it's an excellent alternative to a cigar.

Some good strength, plenty of smoke, tastes very similar to a really good cigar but with more nuance and complexity. It's rich, absolutely refuses to bite and behaves very well in the pipe (my stash is quite dry, which helps). I can't smoke this while busy doing other things because I have to pay attention to it, nursing it to get the maximum flavor, and being sure I don't get any in my nose, which stings a little. Besides, to me it's one of those smokes for contemplative afternoon on the porch.

If you're a cigar fan I think I can confidently say you'll love DP. I have lots of cigars in the house but with this around I don't light them up very often.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I recently sold some of this to a gentleman who then gifted back to me a couple of chunks since I had never smoked it. Uh, thanks... I think.

Whew, this is one tough locomotive with a nicotine wallop that will stop you in your tracks. Once properly prepared for smoking (no small task), have a large supply of butane at the ready because it is a buggar to keep lit.

Flavor presentation: Anyone want to smoke a nicotine laden camp fire?

I found Dark Plug to be biteless and very cool, but its claws scratched the back of my throat and I currently have a bad case of hiccups. So, I think I'll quit typing now.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Most things have been said about this one.

Something as simple and brutal as this, having such an outmost elegance, a bit hard to take in just by reading reviews.

I enjoy this in a large bowl, of a half bent stanwell, a full load takes approx 2 hours. 2 good hours that is.

Stuart Rankin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stuart Rankin (2)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you have ever slapped yourself awake after almost falling asleep at the wheel, you know why you need this. As advertised, and as others have noted, this is strong stuff. It is challenging in many ways - hard to come by, difficult to prepare, and smoking requires quite a bit of attention. That said, I found that Dark Plug was well worth the effort. There is some light-colored leaf, maybe 10%, but you wouldn't know it from the flavor. It's very spicy on the lips and in the nostrils, with much dark, tangy bitterness. In my opinion, this would be a good tobacco to tuck away with your emergency supplies. I guarantee this tobacco will take your mind off of whatever is bothering you.

BriarFire~ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarFire~ (24)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This plug can be a chore to light sometimes but other than that its outstanding,smooth,dark,and strong,not kicked in the teeth strong,but this is no candy tobacco either.Dark plug is one of the cleanest smoking baccys I've ever put fire to,and the cake seems to form right before your eyes.I dont know which I like better,fresh off the plug or DGT'd,like another reviewer said here this dgt's great.Enjoy

LatakiaLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LatakiaLover (5)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

TR's text editor doesn't handle cut-and-paste very well, so I'll just link to a full review elsewhere in the on-line tobacco world: http://forums.knoxcigar.net/viewtopic.php?t=6012

Warwick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Warwick (20)
Extremely Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I ordered Dark Plug from Mars Cigar, I had kinda expected Dark Plug to be about the same as Dark Flake...perhaps just harder to work with.

There is of course alot of similarity in the flavors between the two. However I was quite surprised at how pleasantly melded and harmonious DP was compared to DF.

Upon lighting, there is the Lakeland floral/soapy note in both versions. (I generally dislike that Lakeland note.) DF is a strong, even harsh blend, and is abrasive on the throat. By contrast, DP is strong yet coherent, not at all harsh or abrasive, and the Lakeland note seems to augment this harmony; whereas this floral note seems to me incongruous in DF's in-your-face presentation.

The plug is fairly easy to work with a pocket knife, and the moisture content is about right, making it not too gummy nor too brittle to cut, and minimal drying is required.

Like DF, this is _extremely_ potent in the nicotine arena...I consider DF/DP the strongest blend I've ever smoked. Partly because of this, it is an occasional delight only, yet its quality earns it 4 stars. If you like GH ropes and/or other GH Kendals, its worth a try.

Cobnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobnut (8)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This dark brown plug tobacco is certainly not for the novice pipesmoker.My 100gr chunk came with just the right amount of moisture to it.as a result it could go strait from plug to pipe.The tobacco slices and rubs out easily It lites and stays lit without much effort .Strong and full bodied it burns slowly .Not sweet,but more spicy ,with at times a cigar like quality to it .Cool with no tongue bite,I find Dark Plug a very satisfying smoke.Best in a medium bowl pipe