Dark and Stormy is John Patton's Storm Front blend with Latakia added, which results in a masterful new blend that adds English dimensions of depth to round out the flavor, without overwhelming the cube-cut Burleys.

Notes: Sold through 4noggins.com.

BrandJohn Patton
Taste
Unnoticeable, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
bojangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bojangle (5)

From the first puff to the last, this blend tastes very smoky / like a campire. The finish is like that of a cigar with slightly spicy notes.

I'm not getting any flavours that I can compare to real foods, but maybe cloves? The flavour is consistent and obvious. It tastes good and something I do enjoy, depending on the time of day/week.

It burns nicely and the smoke is thick and smells just as it tastes, though the tin-note isn't exactly the same as the room-note + taste.

It's a flavour cigars can't mimic and for that, I give it a decent rating.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Omega

Purchased From: 4noggins

I thought that the addition of Latakia to Storm Front might not work because it would dilute the little bit of sweetness it had and a lack of sweetness is big negative for me. Not so in this case. While this isn't as sweet as SF (and SF isn't very sweet), it still has enough to make this pleasant. There may be a touch in this Latakia. This is a very good smoke. The addition of the woody, smoky notes do add to the complexity, but at the same time they hide a little of the Burley flavor. It's a trade off. I think I prefer SF a little more than this, but this is still worthy of 4 stars in my book. A smooth smoke.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns fairly well, but will need a re-light occasionally.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Diplomat Apple

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

Pascal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pascal (2)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a big fan of Storm Front, I decided to give Dark and Stormy a try with my last order. I have smoked about 2oz of it. I really like it. Everything I like about Storm Front is still there, only with the addition of Latakia. It is a very pleasant, cool smoke. It stays lit very easily like Storm Front. The Latakia is present but more as a smooth background flavor instead of a bold English type flavor.

I still prefer Storm Front, but will also keep plenty of this on hand as it is a nice change and complement to Storm Front. Very nice... if you like Storm Front give it a try. If you like light English bends, give it a try. There's not much about this blend that I could find objectionable. Good stuff!

Pipe Used: Peterson Canadian, Ropp Cherrywood

Age When Smoked: 1 - 2 months

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Storm Front.

OldDogLearnsNewTrick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldDogLearnsNewTrick (1)
Medium Very Mild Medium Unnoticeable

It is exactly what it says it is. A derivative blend of Storm Front with Latakia added. There are periods where the Storm Front is quite obvious and other times where the Latakia takes control. It did not manifest as a halfway blend to me.

I expect that if you really like Storm Front, this would be a let down but if you like your Latakia (as I do but only in moderation), Dark and Stormy would be a good gateway drug to Patton's Cigar leaf Burleyland. I guess someone asked for it just as Dark Horse is a customer-requested derivative of Soulmate's Kiss.

On the whole I like it and recommend it. 3 Stars.