A VaPer made from the choicest selection on Red Virginia and Perique tobaccos. The favorite among the Rangers of the North.

BrandMiddle Earth Tobacco
Strength
Taste
idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (22)

This was a pleasant little surprise!

In the tin, the tobacco is a red ribbon with a fair bit of dark perique. Tin aroma is sweet and tangy, with just a hint of depth. This stuff comes at the perfect moisture level, and can be smoked straight away without any special treatment. The medium ribbons pack easily and the tobacco lights without any hassle at all. I don't count relights, but it seems to me that The Shire requires very few and burned nicely to the bottoobottom leaving very minimal dottle.

The Shire puffs away easily, never biting, and produces massive volumes of smoke, even at a very controlled pace and burn temp. The sweetness of the VA dominates the smoke, with the perique sitting in the background and occassionally popping in with its pepperiness. The tin I smoked was very young, and expect that two or three years of age would really let the perique round out and add some solid depth to support the Virginia.

All in all, this is a nice little VaPer, worthy of a lot more attention that it seems to get. If you are on the fence, I say give it a go - even if it doesnt knock your socks off, it surely wont disappoint.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs, and Meers

Age When Smoked: <1 year

plugnsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plugnsmoke (6)

Excellent blend. The red Virginia in this blend is beyond words tasty. I was completely in love at the first draw. The tin note is what you would expect from a high class VaPer. Sweet figs and stone fruits with a nice tang and spice from the fermentation and that subtle spice from a quality pirique. It burns perfect straight from the tin and to the bottom of the bowl. When I received my order I loaded up a poker and started puffing. Any other VaPer would have scorched my tongue with the speed I smoked it. I didn't get any bite at all and in fact smoked three bowls over the course of several hours. I'm amazed this blend has no reviews yet as its probably one of the best VaPer blends I've smoked for the price point. A+ ingredients and blending.

Pipe Used: briar poker

Purchased From: middleearthtobacco

Similar Blends: Escudo.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A rather strong VaPer blend that was, at the match, a bit overwhelming. The contents settled as I worked my way down the bowl. A little "Prunish" from top to bottom and I was not really enamored with this one. I do believe heavy Perique lovers will go for The Shire. I prefer a more subtle approach with that Louisiana hot sauce.

Pipestud