Manufactured by spinning tobacco leaves into a rope which is then made into a roll form, pressed, and finally sliced to produce round tobacco circles. Unlike the whole ropes, which use all dark leaf, this rope is spun using Bright Virginia outer wrapper leaves. This gives the tobacco a milder nature as well as an attractive contrast in color.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia Based
CutCurly Cut
Strength
Taste
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

This is an EXCELLENT, slightly sweet tobacco consisting of mostly bright Virginias and a little dark-fired that is sliced from rope. The cut is actually a fairly fine ribbon cut (not quite as fine as a shag-cut) with some scattered small, dark Birdseye discs inter-mingled. This is a very modestly cased tobacco displaying only a hint of Kendal character.

I recommend Curly Cut because of its moderation—it has some sweetness, but it’s not overly sweet; it’s not overly strong or weak; it’s not overly scented or flavored; and it is quite satisfying without being a nicotine bomb. The little bit of casing contributes to the flavor, but the blend, while not monochromatic, is not terribly complex--it's primarily straight-forward tobacco. For those who want to sample what G&H has to offer, Curly Cut (not the “deluxe” version) might be a good place to start. (I enjoy many of the G&H offerings—not ALL, but many; I smoke several of the SCENTED varieties with some regularity.)

This is a relatively "plain" tasting tobacco, but it's not flat. It doesn't display much complexity, but there is plenty of rich tobacco flavor. I like this one quite a bit and I believe that it deserves 3-stars+ for being so straight-forward and direct.

Curly Cut is a little tough to rate strength-wise—for a “Rope” (or more accurately a tobacco cut from rope), Curly Cut is a relative light-weight. In comparison to most anything else I would place it at a point close to medium--more or less. (Less seasoned smokers may judge it to be stronger than that.) Due to the cut of the tobacco, this one can get warm--you have to do your part to keep it under control. I typically like this blend as a morning smoke in the company of a strong cup of dark coffee, but not necessarily my first pipe of the day.

NOTE: Curly Cut should be properly dried. If the moisture content is too high there is just not as much flavor. I could go as far as to say that it should be smoked almost as dry as possible--not so dry that it turns to powder or dust, but "crumbly", at that point where there's not much pliability remaining in the tobacco. When it reaches that point it is very close to sublime!

A fellow pipe smoker and friend of mine (a Latakia “Junkie”) often compares the aroma of the G&H tobaccos with the smell that he gets when he opens his grandfather’s medicine cabinet containing: tincture of Merthiolate, camphor and castor oils, green soap antiseptic, a bottle of mouth wash, some rubbing alcohol, and a bar of Sweetheart soap.

And in return I compare the aroma of someone smoking Latakia with finding a pair of old, worn canvas gym shoes (with the used sweat socks stuffed inside) that have been hiding forgotten in some dank, dark corner of a locker room and then setting them ablaze.

Similar Blends: G&H Curly Cut Deluxe. but the "deluxe" version is darker and stronger.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable to Strong

This comes in uniform dark brown disks, easily rolled out, and in the jar has a mild, straight tobacco odor. At the light and for the first third of the bowl it bites in the mouth and on the lips. Half way down the bowl, the bite recedes somewhat. The smoke smooths out a little. The flavor is bland from start to finish. I am not sure what the maker was trying to achieve. Certain undertones of flavor suggest that this may be the same tobacco G&H uses to produce their wonderful dark tobaccos such as Dark Flake and Dark Birdseye. For me, this tobacco bears no resemblance to Three Nuns, past or present, and contains no perique. I have been wrestling with 50g of this for three months, and it will take a long time to finish. All in all, a most unpleasant smoke. Paddy.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (110)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Overwhelming Overwhelming

I would rather stuff cotton balls in my pipe and smoke that. Rotten curly cut weed

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (99)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

A nice Virginia, a good start to get used to stronger rope tobacco. It packs very well and burns to a white ash. There is an extremely mild floral note that comes and goes and it could bite if your tongue is not used to Virginias or if you puff too fast. That said, the taste is consistent and monochromatic as it should be with pure Virginias. I get a very tangy taste with brioche accents, a creamy smoke indeed.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Smooth, Mild, Natural Tobacco Flavor, Burns a little Hot, Slight Bit of a Bite, White Ash Burn

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)

I guess this must be GH&Co's answer to Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Flake - not that they are really that comparable, except that they both fall into the category of a being a medium/strong, straight VA blend. I see the difference between them like this - if FVF were a suave London gentleman relaxing into a leather armchair at his Piccadilly club, Curly Cut would be his rough East End cousin, kicking someone's teeth in because they haven't coughed up their protection money.

This one doesn't have the complexity of the SG offering. Sweetness is muted but it does have some depth thanks to the dark leaf. The bright VAs are to the forefront, and if you don't pay respect, they'll hurt you. This is the sharpness that other reviewers have noted and it can be a bit much. The way to tame it is to make sure that the tobacco is properly dry (it comes very moist), and of course, to smoke at a sensible pace. I am sure aging would help a lot too.

From the above it sounds like this blend ain't all that, but in fact it has quite a bit going for it. Once you have tamed the bite using the methods above it is actually pretty forgiving and easy to smoke. Unlike some straight VA blends it isn't really that fussy about pipe or preparation (moisture level excepted), it doesn't need a lot of relights and I don't find it lacking in flavour. Of course, being GH&Co, the quality of the leaf goes without question and N satisfaction comes easily.

In summary, the lack of complexity and rough edges mean that it isn't going to make the 4 star mark, but it is definitely a solid tobacco. It would very interesting to see how it responds to a couple of years in a jar - and since I can buy it at a new found tobacconist near my office, this is an experiment I am planning to conduct.

Edit: I'm currently smoking a bowl that had a tiny pinch (and I do mean tiny) of blending perique added before setting it out to dry. It's very nice - still rough and ready, but not the disaster it could have been. Splendid.

internurd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
internurd (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This was recommended to me by the proprietor of a wonderful shop in Durham City indoor market, County Durham England. I was dubious as he knows me and always shows me something that I haven't tried yet! It looks and smells unremarkable and was far too wet to smoke, so I let it dry out a little. Result a very pleasant fairly strong smoke.(no hiccups or hiccups is my naive comment on strength!) (None so far) Not sure what to compare it with yet, but will be trying more of this one. To give you my favourites of the moment may help, I like Petersons Irish Oak and Gawith Hogarth's Best Brown Number 2. My first attempt at a review, I have waited five years before daring to submit anything...

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't know how this blend got such strong average reviews? It seemed to me to be medium at best. Although there were lots of very, very good flavours here they never seemed to assert themselves enough for me which I found slightly frustrating. Pipestud's review below is very much along the lines of my experiences.

I tried mixing with a small amount of blending perique which gave good results but the Curly Cut was easily overpowered.

This blend has none of the floral aromas which are usually associated with lakeland tobaccos but it does have a subtle richness (is that an oxymoron?) and an underlying natural sweetness which makes for an enjoyable overall experience.

I'll give it a recommended because it is of such high quality and if your palette is light enough you may never want to smoke anything else. As for me, I'll probably buy it once in a while when I'm in the mood but I imagine I'll always be slight disappointed.

I hesitate to give this blend a full three stars as I believe there are other similar blends on the market that offer a more flavorful taste presentation. This G&H spun cut blend is not tasteless, but nothing tasty jumps around my palate.

The quality of the leaf is apparent, and the bright Virginia burns with no problems. I never found Curly Cut to be a hot burning smoke, just a boring one.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

If you like Three Nuns, you're going to enjoy this. The perique in this blend doesn't come out so much, though, and if it's the SPICINESS you're hankering for, and not the nutty/tangy taste of the virginias, then maybe you should look for something like Escudo, or Astleys 109.

This satisfies nicely, but the room note is... Well, very bad. Let me take you back in time...

Loomis, California, Summer, July 13th,1998, my mom's cat JENNA ate SOMETHING that she shouldn't have, and desperately relieved herself of the noxious, burning substance within her bowels, causing an unspeakable olfactory holocaust for the homo sapiens sharing the domicile. This incident roused the entire family, and the evidence of the incident permeated the whole house for an entire day. The room note, whilst not nearly as severe, reminded me of this occasion, and I do not exaggerate.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I finally tried this blend and found it an improvement over their 'deluxe' model. The rope discs are smaller and about the size of quarter. Most have a nice birdseye present but there is quite a variation in make-up from disc to disc. Some are predominantly darker, reddish brown while others are a lighter, golden color. Due to the tobaccos and manufacturing process, all have the birdseye contrast that I find visually appealing and I think adds to the taste. However, from bowl to bowl I thought this had no impact on the smoke. As with other bulk blends of this type, the discs also have a tendency to unravel in transit or due to handling. In that rubbed out form, I think it smokes slightly hot. The taste was toned down from their 'deluxe' and milder overall. An enjoyable, satisfying but not a great smoke.

Bernie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bernie (6)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

I love Three Nuns and so was intrigued to see what this was like as I believe it was intended as a replacement for Three Nuns. Well I love it. It is very much like the Nuns and the lack of Perique is not a problem at all. It has a delicious ... Three Nuns flavour. It looks a bit more broken up and not as much like cake but this is fine as it makes it easier to stuff into a bowl. From first light the flavour is full and rounded and very satisfying. It also has no detectable bite.

Just out of interest I added some blending Perique to a small amount but didn't leave it to meld or age at all. It was not an improvement. It might work better if aged a month or two. But it really doesn't need it at all. The tobaccos used are of first class quality.

Mike Castello Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike Castello (49)

When I saw that no one has reviewed this tobacco I couldn't waite to review it. It is superb. Yes, people will compare it with Three Nuns and I will add Peter Heinrich's Special Curly Cut for comparison as well. The G+H Curly tastes like TN without the perique, but I don't think it tastes like something is missing at all. I like TN, but less nicotene is welcomed. The G+H is not as unique, but I like very much and prefer it because it is available in bulk and it stays fresher without drying out so quickly as does TN. Peter Heinrich's is good, but just not as good. The G+H smokes cooler, has better flavor, and is even better priced. If I could only have one Virginia to smoke this would be a selection I could live with. I'll take the Scottish Cruble Cake first, this one second, remove myself to a desert island and smoke to my heart's content.

tcvarlh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tcvarlh (6)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

Bored with this within 3 minutes a terrible smoke hot oversweet 'claggy' not for me Not a patch on my favourite, sadly now defunct curly cut from my youth I haven't given good ratings as I got without this muy rapido. Sorry GH not this one!

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

This is a completely natural, uncased tobacco with an agreeable though bland flavour. I have a sort of half-formed plan to add a little Latakia and/or Cavendish, just to see what happens (or Perique: see below). Certainly the flavour could do with being 'bulked up' a little. It does bite if you smoke it too quickly, but 'sipped' it's friendly to the tongue throughout the bowl. Load the bowl with the little discs unrubbed out, and rub out a little for lighting purposes at the top of the bowl.

Some people say that CC reminds them of the 'old' Three Nuns. Personally, I don't see it, except in terms of the cut. I think, though, that it might be interesting to add some Perique to it. Anyone who experimented with this suggestion might manage to create something close to 'old' Three Nuns, and this would be a very worthwhile outcome. (I see from an earlier review, though, that this has already been tried, with no great result. Maybe keep on experimenting with the proportions?)

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

If somebody wishes to get the rope experience without the need of cutting and slicing this should be your choice. The bright virginias burn very well opposed to the dark leaves so common to SG ropes(twists). The taste evolves to the end and gives a nice, tasty smoke. I think it smokes better dryer in larger bowls.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

06/28/05 GH Curly Cut is a mixture of dark brown, brown, and golden tobaccos. My sample is a combination of spun discs and loose ribbon, dominated by the latter. The pouch aroma is subtle, yet wonderful: slightly fruity and tart, but with a grassy base. It could be the most pleasing pouch aroma of any blend I smoke. I love to stick my nose in the jar and enjoy the aroma before packing my pipe.

Curly Cut packs and lights effortlessly, however the inconsistency of the cut (see below) can affect the burn. The smoke envelopes the tongue with body and flavor. It has a no-nonsense, natural tobacco flavor that is slightly sweet in the mid-range, but with enough depth to be satisfying. I may taste a slight tartness as well. The flavor remains consistent throughout the bowl. Based on the flavor and what I?ve read over the years, I would imagine the composition is dark-fired Virginias with possibly a little burley (which I believe I taste), and bright Virginias from South America. The nicotine level is full, but not overwhelming at all. It could be easily smoked before breakfast or after a meal late in the day. The room note is of a natural tobacco that would probably not be a party pleaser.

I don?t smoke Curly Cut everyday, but like Stonehaven, every time I smoke it I wonder why this isn?t my everyday tobacco. I have no explanation for my behavior; I just seem to migrate to a McClelland Virginias more often, perhaps due to McClelland?s high notes which are missing here. I do not mean to compare blends; I am just thinking aloud, so to speak, about my smoking habits.

Curly Cut is an outstanding blend that I recommend highly to lovers of natural tobaccos. My only complaint is the inconsistency of the cut. I wish all the ribbons were spun into discs. I don?t believe the loose ribbons are all unraveled discs; I believe some are added to keep costs down. All in all, this is a minor complaint.

Update 12/24/06: I just purchased a 500g bag of Curly Cut and all of the tobacco is in disc form. It appears that in my previous sample the discs had just come unraveled. Now I don't even have a small complaint about this wonderful tobacco. I sealed that 500g in a Mason jar for aging. I'll report back in about 5 years. I'm expecting great things!

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

High quality, unadulterated Virginia cut twist. I thought from my first couple of pipes, that this might be a tongue-burner, but this never happened. A delightful tobacco in lots of ways, which will appeal to many Virginia lovers. My only citicism, perhaps an unfair one, is that I found it a tiny bit bland. The truth is, that I prefer flakes to twists. I may have another crack at it.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

A most satisfying smoke, made from dark and golden Virginia Tobacco. It bites like hell and tastes really good. "GO SLOW WITH THIS GAL,OR SHE'LL SLAP YOU'RE FACE",- it should read on the package. This is A+ quality Virginia rope,that is stout and sutle at the same time. Treat it tenderly and you are rewarded with straight but not too sweet Virginia. One said "brittle flavour" and I agree whole heartedly with that statement.

I tried this in several pipes,and it tends to be better in a small bowl. Nicotene happy,stout,heady,natural with no sweetners. It's like a pretty woman thats swears like a sailor.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Someone compared this to Three Nuns without the Perique. I disagree, but I understand the comment. As noted, this blend is mostly dark-fired leaf, with the exception of the bright VA wrapper. That exception makes it a pretty good smoke, probably a VERY good smoke for the lover of rope tobaccos. If you don't like ropes, though, you probably won't add this to your regular rotation.

This doesn't have the richness and variation of 3N. The flavor is thinner, more brittle (appreciators might use the term "focused"). This blend doesn't do it for me, but I can tell it is a quality tobacco. So, while I will never smoke it again, I will give it a three stars for those who might.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I recieved my first bag of G&H Curly Cut last week and I have to say that I have been only smoking this wonderful blend of virginias. My first bowl was alittle off but since then I find it a great smoke with a sour side to it. It has been compared to Three Nuns and I agree and see the similarities in presentation and flavor but I have to say that I prefer this blend to the current version of Three Nuns. Although I do love perique. I don't think this blend has any. Slightly moist on arrival but takes two to lights to get going.4 stars.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)

So many Gawith blends, so little time. Actually, I am just taking my time, enjoying my forey into this company's various blends. Curley Cut, another winner as far as I am concerned. Others have reviewed this tobacco with comparisons to other blends. Well, I feel these disc's of delight stand rather well on their own.

Just a delight. I pack the disc's into an old favored Charatan and it is off to some quality "downtime". As with this type of tobacco, I rubbed out several for the final topping of the bowl to assist in the lighting and it did not need a re-light. The taste was smooth and consistent throughout the run of the bowl. A very satisfying, medium smoke.