A quality Burley mixture. Blended for the smoker who enjoys smoking natural tobaccos yet desires a sweet and pleasant aroma. A Burley meant to be enjoyed throughout the day.

BrandBufflehead
Blended ByDavid Windsor
ContentsBurley
CutCube
Strength
Mild, Medium
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste
Mild to Medium, Very Full
smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

I have two standards when measuring burley tobaccos; C&D Morley's Best and Pipeworks and Wilke's Nut Brown Burley. Both of these have been my favorites from the many burley mixtures I have tried. The description of Oldsquaw on the Bufflehead website intrigued me, so I ordered some. The first positive impression you get from this blend is the pouch aroma, which is marvelous. It has an aroma like a coconut creme pie (and I love those). It makes you wonder for a moment if Dave has mistakenly sent you one of his aromatic blends. Firing up a bowl will dispell that impression when the first nutty overtone of the fine burleys hits your tongue. A subtle sweetness lurks in the background that is the proverbial icing on the cake. It really begins to blossom at the 2/3 bowl mark, then stays there till the smoke is nearly done. Packing and lighting are above average and it smokes down with a minimum of relights, even at my slow puffing pace. The room note is pleasant, and I heard no complaints from my better half. This is a good one to use for breaking in new pipes, and is also a really fine cob smoker. Bottom line? My MB and NBB are feeling a bit neglected these days, as I'm reaching for the Oldsquaw on a regular basis. Highly recommended!

Sad footnote: Dave Windsor has gotten out of the tobacco business and Bufflehead tobaccos are now only a part of history. I will miss both them and doing business with Dave, who was a really nice guy and first-class businessman.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

OldSquaw is one of those blends that match the catalogue description quite well. The quality is definitely there but that's just part of it. OldSquaw is easy to pack, easy to light and keep lit, burns evenly and pretty dry and cool - with only minimal attention from the smoker, and I really like "cruise control". It's a nice Burley blend to use in smallish "walkin' around" pipes that have somewhat thinner bowl walls and can overheat in a heartbeat. Have smoked several bowls in the rather petite Stanwell "Sixtus" pipes and was easily able to keep them cool enough to hold comfortably. Have also smoked several bowls in a medium-to-largish poker and it performed like a Champ. In fact, it was just fine in 5 or 6 different pipes of assorted sizes. Which brings us to Taste. The taste of OldSquaw is natural, high-quality Burley - and there is a sweetness, just a tad, that is also natural-tasting. I like it. It conjurs up memories of hard cider and the crisp air at late-October trap and skeet shoots in northcentral Ohio. It tastes like the burley I imagine Mark Twain or Aldo Leopold would have smoked. Bufflehead's OldSquaw is a qood blend of good-quality leaf with a good natural taste that will stay enjoyable bowl after bowl. Since it is a bulk offering from Bufflehead it won't break the bank either. And it has a cool name too. All-Around Good Job, Mr. Windsor!!!!

Tiger