We used to go up Hudson in the Fall to go apple picking at the orchards, and this is the memory of those times all packed into your bowl. Mild and wonderfully flavorful, with notes of freshly cut apples and a smooth blend of Virginia, Burley and Cavendish tobaccos.

Notes: 2013 IPCPR release

2.7
ODUBB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ODUBB (1)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I am new to pipe smoking, so this review is written with little experience. The tobacco smells wondeful in the tin, and has a very pleasant room note. Nice looking stuff, and quality packaging. Mine took quite of lot of drying before it was smokable though - this, and my lack of experience led to some frustration, a wet pipe, and some mild tongue bite during the first few bowls. A few weeks of sitting in the humidor, and this tobacco burns much better, and smokes much smoother.

Pipe Used: Bent Billiard

Purchased From: Rhinebeck Smoke Shop, NY

Shoaly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shoaly (1)

A very pleasant mild smoke. Great for the morning/mid day enjoyment!

While the tin suggests hints of apple I picked up subtle leather and cinnamon.

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (13)

Having had this tin open for a couple of weeks I can truly say the flavor has come into its own. This is yet another quality offering from DE that when properly sipped will lend a flavorful smoke. Even when the tin was new it burned wonderfully; down to a nice grey ash. The thing I find funny about reviews are people talking about a lack of whatever taste the tin says it has or tries to evoke through its name. Remember, most aromatics are meant to be hints of subtle flavor not the actual tastes themselves. If you expect that much apple taste you might want to just eat apples, not smoke heavily flavored, chemical tasting tobaccos. Appreciate the quality of a good tobacco blend and let it balance with that subtle wafting of flavor that peeks through without being overpowering. All in all I think this is yet another fine offering from DE if you accept it for what it is meant to be; a quality tobacco , clean burning, smooth tasting, and really mild applely goodness.

Pipe Used: Various MM cobs, briars

Age When Smoked: 3 week opened tin

Purchased From: JR Cigar online

russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
russ (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Very Pleasant

I should have known better as I did not figure that the apple flavorong and I would get along. I was not wrong. When I opened the tin the apple notes were VERY strong. The moisture content was also high. Over all the tobacco itself as it appeared in the tin does look nice. However after letting some dry for a little--well I loaded up the pipe and as I smoked this offering from Drew estates--well perhaps its just my palate as this one seemed to burn hot, bite my throat a bit and the apple flaoring was VERY pronounced. This just may have been the clump of tobacco I had. The next couple of bowls behaved much better and I could detect hints of the tobacco and a spicey nature or notes coming through. Over all its just not for me. I like their Heirloom Cherry and I must note that I really do think their offerings are nice quality tobaccos. Its all in what you want or, prefer.

Pipe Used: medium briar

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (59)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've come to appreciate the Drew Estate blends. They do a great job using quality tobaccos with some interesting color/flavor mixes, topped with fragances that are anything but boring. By my experience they all have this in common: After the initial popping of the seal they begin to settle down and come into their own with some really surprising delicious pipping pleasure. Just so happens I had the honor to meet Jonathan Drew just a couple of weeks ago as he stopped at the Tobacconist in my hometown. I had a chance to tell him in person how much I really enjoy his blends.

This new Harvest on Hudson tin is no exception. Taking advantage of CyberMonday I ordered HoH with free shipping and within hours loaded my large Peterson XL305. I've been smoking HOH ever since and can't get enough of it. It's bright, sweet and fruity. You get the very top note of apple every so often and if your tongue aint leathered up you can taste it in the underlining of an easy draw.

This blend is in the same flavor-profile-ballpark as Grand Central and 7th Avenue Blonde, and Peterson's Nutty Cut. This blend is sweet, bright and fruity, lively and very tasty. No tongue bite. A beautiful looking tobacco of color with bright Va's next to brown burley, mixed with Black Cavendish. If you like Aromatics or bored of the same old English or Virginia blends, throw this one in the mix. I couldn't imagine any piper new or experienced being disappointed with this one.

Pipe Used: Peterson XL305

Purchased From: JR Cigars.

Similar Blends: Grand Central, Nutty Cut, 7th Avenue Blonde.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (20)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Another quality blend from Drew Estate. Not my favorite of the line, but good quality tobacco with an excellent tin note and flavor. Best if dried slightly and then sipped. It will smoke hot if you aren't careful. The apple does come through better with age. I usually don't go for apple or cherry blends, but this one will stay with me for an alternative to my usual selections.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard