We made a blend and called it "Meat Pie!" Daring to be just a little different, imagine we just re-wrote some classic turn-of-the century novel. A Pungent, Smoky, Medium bodied smoke that is the epitome of the word classic.

BrandDrew Estate
Blended ByNicholas Mellilo
Strength
Taste
3.4
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a former heavy cigar smoker, and in the “love” camp (as opposed to the hate camp) of Drew Estate Cigars, I was excited to see Drew Estate come out with pipe weed. My only regret is that six of the eight blends are aromatics, with one of the two reported non-aromatics, a navy flake, not making it to market as of the date of this review. The tin scent of Meat Pie is very similar to smelling a charred log from a campfire. It is very smoky to say the least. The moisture content will be just right for many pipe smokers although I did dry mine for a few minutes. In the pipe, Meat Pie delivers a large volume of smoke. It is rich and while described as a medium English, I would place it more to the full side of the scale. Meat Pie reminds me very much of the highly rated, but often overlooked Sillem's “London Blend.” The difference being that London Blend has a small amount of sweetness from lightly added Cavendish and Meat Pie has just a tiny hint of sweetness if any at all. I don't taste any infused flavors similar to Drew Estate cigars, but a cool burning medium to full English blend. If there is a topping added, it has been topped extremely lightly. Although full of flavor, Meat Pie is not overwhelming in the nic department either. All in all, a very good English blend. Congrats to Drew Estate.

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Meat Pie is just a plain ol' good English. Nice and mellow and smoky. Not too strong, not too mild, because its just right.

The tin aroma is warm and camp firey like you'd expect from a blend with Latakia. The ribbon cut is very nice with some dark browns and light blonds. Packs well, lights well, stays lit (actually, surprisingly well... I would dare say that this is easier to keep lit than a lot of other blends in my current rotation. I have never had a bowl of meat pie that did not smoke all the way down to white ash, and that's with little to no tamping and some lazy packing).

I wouldn't say that this would knock the socks off of a first time English smoker in the same way that nightcap or frog morton tend to do, but it is very enjoyable. Through my first tin and several others have been ordered. I'm excited to see how it does with some age on it...

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (8)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I enjoy Drew Estate cigars when I'm in the mood for something different, so I was somewhat surprised at how traditional this English blend is. It contains no flavorings I can detect, but delivers a rich satisfying Latakia fix for the Lat lover, without being overwhelming. Meat Pie has an an ideal moisture content right out of the can and the tin note screams, "LATAKIA!!!!" The smoke is rich and thick(dare I say, meaty?) It burns dry, doesn't bite and smells awesome. As with most Latakia blends, this is not very wife friendly, so smoke it when you have, or need, some 'me' time. This could be the beginning of a long and meaningful relationship.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This reminds me a lot of Stokkabye proper English, but with another level added it seems to have a certain creaminess about it that I don't find in other English style blends, and of course high quality tobacco which Drew Estate is always known to have, burns nicely

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Purchased From: Allegheny Smoke Works

Similar Blends: Stokkabye Proper English.

brian stephen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brian stephen (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly dark in the tin with strands of yellow and olive coloured leaf, Meat Pie is pungent and deeply scented with Latakia. Excellent tin moisture, fine cut, and visually appealing, this Latakia mixture has everything a lover of English/Balkan type blends could ask for, imo. Packs easy, stays lit and smokes cool with absolutely no bite. There's a bit of sweetness in the smoke that stays until the end, almost like MM965, but in no way detracts from the flavour. The room note is wonderful to those who appreciate rich mixtures, though your better half may disagree.
The name kind of put me off, but I'm sure glad I picked up a tin of this. It's one of the best mixtures I've had the pleasure of trying in quite some time.
A masterful blend, to say the least.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

I am close to finishing my first tin of Meat Pie, and have already purchased several more, since I intend to make this blend a regular. It lights well, and burns cool and dry to the bottom. The flavor is Latakia, but there is a unique taste to this blend that makes it very enjoyable. I have not yet tried any of the other Drew blends, but look forward to doing so.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend reeks of quality. The flavor profile is no different than many other English blends, but it still manages to stand out in that crowd. Although it is mild to medium in body, it is nearly full in rich flavor. With all respect to those who differ, I think there is a light, sweet topping applied as it leaves a lingering sweetness in the mouth. There is nothing weak about this blend. (insert "meaty" cliché here....no, let's not do that). Just a wonderful, satisfying, top of the line, grade A English. One of the easiest 4 stars I've given.

On a side note, I never cared for their infused cigars. They hit a homerun with this pipe tobacco though. Because of the quality of this blend I'm gonna try a couple of the aros too.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

TVS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TVS (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Campfire-like tin scent, on the robust side of mild. Classic English room note. hard to find Meat Pie in stock around Connecticut (or at least at the shops I frequent). My favorite of the Drew Estate tins. It's a shame that Drew Estate's approach to pipe tobacco is much like their infused Acid line of cigars.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: 3 days

Purchased From: Butthead's Tobacco Emporium, Danbury CT

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

All the flavors associated with the blend are present. However, something seems to mute some of the flavor once drawn into the palate. Could be a battle amongst the components. Nice spice/pepper note on the retrohale. Mild to medium English strength/taste. 2+

Pipe Used: Cristiano

Age When Smoked: undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: CI

Similar Blends: A crowded field..

piperboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperboy (4)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

this is a very good english blend! i smoke it often on cold nights. it burns great, no bite. i love their cigars and they make a mighty fine pipe tobaccco!

Pipe Used: peterson, aldo

Purchased From: my local tobacco shop

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (26)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not bad, but not for me. I found it rather mild, slightly sweet, and a sustained Latakia taste throughout with some spice from orientals. I have had fuller more complex and tasty englishes. The tin note for me was a little barbecuey and I wondered if Drew Estates was related to Mcclelland. The room note had a savory scent to it I found rather unique, many the englishes I smoke have an almost inscence like quality, this did not at all. A little dry out of the tin but burned excellently right down to the bottom of the bowl. I found it got better as it went along and finished well. It is worth a share with a friend, it was a different english than I have run across, not sure if it is worth a tin though.

stinky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stinky (2)

+Had to fire up a bowl as soon as I got home and loved it. Will be buying more to stash away for a while! -Priced a bit high.

Pipe Used: Leedy

Purchased From: The Market Kettering, Ohio

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (66)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Blended by Lane who is owned by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

This blend is simply okay nothing special and in my view not worth the extra $$ per tin, nor the scarce availability. It kind of reminds me of Peter Stokkebye English Oriental. There are many other brands which are better and less expensive: Samuel Gawith, Esoterica, DAN and more.

I won't be buying another tin of this.