We made a blend and called it "Meat Pie!" Daring to be just a little different, imagine we just re-wrote some classic turn-of-the century novel. A Pungent, Smoky, Medium bodied smoke that is the epitome of the word classic.

BrandDrew Estate
Blended ByNicholas Mellilo
Manufactured ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Strength
Taste
3.4
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being a former heavy cigar smoker, and in the “love” camp (as opposed to the hate camp) of Drew Estate Cigars, I was excited to see Drew Estate come out with pipe weed. My only regret is that six of the eight blends are aromatics, with one of the two reported non-aromatics, a navy flake, not making it to market as of the date of this review. The tin scent of Meat Pie is very similar to smelling a charred log from a campfire. It is very smoky to say the least. The moisture content will be just right for many pipe smokers although I did dry mine for a few minutes. In the pipe, Meat Pie delivers a large volume of smoke. It is rich and while described as a medium English, I would place it more to the full side of the scale. Meat Pie reminds me very much of the highly rated, but often overlooked Sillem's “London Blend.” The difference being that London Blend has a small amount of sweetness from lightly added Cavendish and Meat Pie has just a tiny hint of sweetness if any at all. I don't taste any infused flavors similar to Drew Estate cigars, but a cool burning medium to full English blend. If there is a topping added, it has been topped extremely lightly. Although full of flavor, Meat Pie is not overwhelming in the nic department either. All in all, a very good English blend. Congrats to Drew Estate.

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Meat Pie is just a plain ol' good English. Nice and mellow and smoky. Not too strong, not too mild, because its just right.

The tin aroma is warm and camp firey like you'd expect from a blend with Latakia. The ribbon cut is very nice with some dark browns and light blonds. Packs well, lights well, stays lit (actually, surprisingly well... I would dare say that this is easier to keep lit than a lot of other blends in my current rotation. I have never had a bowl of meat pie that did not smoke all the way down to white ash, and that's with little to no tamping and some lazy packing).

I wouldn't say that this would knock the socks off of a first time English smoker in the same way that nightcap or frog morton tend to do, but it is very enjoyable. Through my first tin and several others have been ordered. I'm excited to see how it does with some age on it...

brian stephen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brian stephen (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mostly dark in the tin with strands of yellow and olive coloured leaf, Meat Pie is pungent and deeply scented with Latakia. Excellent tin moisture, fine cut, and visually appealing, this Latakia mixture has everything a lover of English/Balkan type blends could ask for, imo. Packs easy, stays lit and smokes cool with absolutely no bite. There's a bit of sweetness in the smoke that stays until the end, almost like MM965, but in no way detracts from the flavour. The room note is wonderful to those who appreciate rich mixtures, though your better half may disagree.
The name kind of put me off, but I'm sure glad I picked up a tin of this. It's one of the best mixtures I've had the pleasure of trying in quite some time.
A masterful blend, to say the least.

Piper@TheGatesOfDawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@TheGatesOfDawn (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I enjoy Drew Estate cigars when I'm in the mood for something different, so I was somewhat surprised at how traditional this English blend is. It contains no flavorings I can detect, but delivers a rich satisfying Latakia fix for the Lat lover, without being overwhelming. Meat Pie has an ideal moisture content right out of the can and the tin note screams, "LATAKIA!!!!" The smoke is rich and thick (dare I say, meaty?) It burns dry, doesn't bite and smells awesome. As with most Latakia blends, this is not very wife friendly, so smoke it when you have, or need, some 'me' time. This could be the beginning of a long and meaningful relationship.

Pipe Used: Various

Purchased From: PipesAndCigars.com

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This reminds me a lot of Stokkabye proper English, but with another level added it seems to have a certain creaminess about it that I don't find in other English style blends, and of course high quality tobacco which Drew Estate is always known to have, burns nicely

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Purchased From: Allegheny Smoke Works

Similar Blends: Stokkabye Proper English.

hunterwold1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hunterwold1 (2)

Just smoked this blend for the first time last evening. I was very pleased with this tobacco. It was one of the easiest smokes I have had for a while. The tin aroma was very pleasant and it lit easily. I only had one relight of the bowl about half way through and it smoked to a nice fine white ash. I smoked it indoors. I found the taste to be consistent throughout the duration of the smoke. It was paired with a wee dram of 15yr. Old Dhalwinnie. Complemented each other nicely.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum apple 3/4 bent

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin newly acquired and opened

Similar Blends: MM 965, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (11)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

A lot has already been written here on the product, so I'll be short and sweet. If you like a simple smoke, this is it. It's no frills, just a straight forward, good smoke. A great English baccy. My wife LOVES the smell, very "earthy," as she describes it.

The smoke, flavor is consistent from start to finish.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Tranquillo Cigar Shop, Melbourne Fl

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (12)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Oh, Boy! Another English blend. These were the first thoughts that crossed my mind when I received a trial tin at the Chicago show. Side note: In today's market, with SO many blends out there, I belive coming up with something different is difficult to say the least. Hence, my skepticism. On opening the tin, the latakia hit me right between the eyes. The odor was enticing. However, after loading my Cannoy and lighting up, I found nothing in the smoke that I hadn't had many times before. I tried a few more bowls, then set the tin aside and forgot about it. Fast forward to three months later. I had put the tobacco in a ceramic jar with a good seal. It never ceases to amaze me how just a little sitting time can change a tobacco. This time, it seemed I was smoking a different tobacco! There was something that just wasn't there when I opened the tin originally. Damned if I can put my tongue or nose on it, but Meat Pie definately had a slightly different taste; a taste that separated it from all the other English blends I smoke. This tobacco will be in my rotation (much to my wife's chagrin!).

Pipe Used: Walt Cannoy Tulip

Purchased From: Recieved for free at Chicago Pipe Show

Mville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mville (5)

The perfect classic tasting english imo. Love this stuff. Not too Light, not too strong, this is pretty much the perfect balance to me. recommended!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Briar

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Nightcap, MM 965.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Blended by Lane who is owned by the Scandinavian Tobacco Group.

This blend is simply okay nothing special and in my view not worth the extra $$ per tin, nor the scarce availability. It kind of reminds me of Peter Stokkebye English Oriental. There are many other brands which are better and less expensive: Samuel Gawith, Esoterica, DAN and more.

I won't be buying another tin of this, not recommended.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (35)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Not bad, but not for me. I found it rather mild, slightly sweet, and a sustained Latakia taste throughout with some spice from orientals. I have had fuller more complex and tasty englishes. The tin note for me was a little barbecuey and I wondered if Drew Estates was related to Mcclelland. The room note had a savory scent to it I found rather unique, many the englishes I smoke have an almost inscence like quality, this did not at all. A little dry out of the tin but burned excellently right down to the bottom of the bowl. I found it got better as it went along and finished well. It is worth a share with a friend, it was a different english than I have run across, not sure if it is worth a tin though.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

I am close to finishing my first tin of Meat Pie, and have already purchased several more, since I intend to make this blend a regular. It lights well, and burns cool and dry to the bottom. The flavor is Latakia, but there is a unique taste to this blend that makes it very enjoyable. I have not yet tried any of the other Drew blends, but look forward to doing so.

The Nothing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Nothing (3)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Funny thing about Drew Estates: once their name is mentioned, everyone snaps to attention.

Like many people, Drew Estate Meat Pie helped bring me to the world of pipe smoking. I had a couple pipes, and I'd enjoy them from time to time, but not nearly to the extent I do now.

I was excited as soon as the Drew Estate tobaccos made it to my B&M. I was looking forward to the Meat Pie (the only non-aro that is reasonably easy to find) and snatched up the first can. Opening the tin I was immediately greeted by the "last night's campfire" aroma of the Latakia, much as I suspected. I thought the tobacco was a bit damp, but nothing that couldn't be remedied easy enough.

The first bowl (in a fresh MM) was a bit of a let down. While it presented a solid mild English blend, I had hoped for something a bit bolder. I left the tin in my truck and relegated it to light duty. Some time later, I loaded up a bowl into my VA Stanwell and things changed. The Latakia became a bit more pronounced and there was a bit more sweetness. Meat Pie produces a healthy amount of smoke as well. I found the second, and subsequent bowls, to lean to a bit more medium bodied than the first. Thank goodness for that.

In the end, Drew Estate Meat Pie is not an amazing smoking. It is, however, a very solid English Blend. I'd go so far as to call it a good benchmark English Blend to judge other English Blends. There are many that are better (and cheaper) and many others that are worse. DE Meat Pie is just a good textbook English.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: 0-6mo

Purchased From: The Stash Smoke Shop, Portland, OR

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (13)

OM to the G this Drew Estates offering is top-shelf! I am now smoking my first bowl of this amazing English and think that I have found a new fav. I can't stop French inhaling, it's that good. The thing that I have found with DE tobaccos are the perfect smoke right upon opening, no need for drying, non goopy, even burning smoke that is very consistent bowl after bowl.

Pipe Used: Bruyere Garantie

Age When Smoked: Freshly opened tin

Purchased From: JR Cigar, NC

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (46)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I've said this before in my reviews and so have other reviewers. The medium/heavy english blend field is a very crowded one and you never know quite what you are going to get when you open a new tin. No problem here; Meat Pie was a pleasant surprise and I enjoyed smoking it and blending with it. I had just finished a tin of the new era Crown Achievement by Lane Ltd. and Meat Pie appeared very similar in the tin. It had a similar aroma and, upon lighting up, smoked at the same strength level as CA. The one big difference is the presence of perique in CA - otherwise they smoked about the same. I have no problem smoking it straight out of the tin and every microblend I made using it as my heavier english component was good.

Meat Pie perfomed like many mid-range englishes I have smoked - smokey, but not too heavy; pungent to a degree, but not prickly on the tongue. I enjoyed it but felt it needed to be a little more mellow in the non-latakia portion of its formulation to be classed as a four star blend. So, as I ranked Crown Achievement as a three star blend; I am ranking Meat Pie the same. Neither is my absolute favorite english blend, but they are both really good and recommendable to english smokers.

Pipe Used: Charatan Selected 44

Similar Blends: the last english I opened - Crown Achievement, but without the perique. Also similar to many medium english blends out there in that most crowded of fields..

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend reeks of quality. The flavor profile is no different than many other English blends, but it still manages to stand out in that crowd. Although it is mild to medium in body, it is nearly full in rich flavor. With all respect to those who differ, I think there is a light, sweet topping applied as it leaves a lingering sweetness in the mouth. There is nothing weak about this blend. (insert "meaty" cliché here....no, let's not do that). Just a wonderful, satisfying, top of the line, grade A English. One of the easiest 4 stars I've given.

On a side note, I never cared for their infused cigars. They hit a homerun with this pipe tobacco though. Because of the quality of this blend I'm gonna try a couple of the aros too.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

TVS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TVS (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Campfire-like tin scent, on the robust side of mild. Classic English room note. hard to find Meat Pie in stock around Connecticut (or at least at the shops I frequent). My favorite of the Drew Estate tins. It's a shame that Drew Estate's approach to pipe tobacco is much like their infused Acid line of cigars.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Age When Smoked: 3 days

Purchased From: Butthead's Tobacco Emporium, Danbury CT

piperboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperboy (4)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

this is a very good english blend! i smoke it often on cold nights. it burns great, no bite. i love their cigars and they make a mighty fine pipe tobaccco!

Pipe Used: peterson, aldo

Purchased From: my local tobacco shop

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (127)

All the flavors associated with the blend are present. However, something seems to mute some of the flavor once drawn into the palate. Could be a battle amongst the components. Nice spice/pepper note on the retrohale. Mild to medium English strength/taste. 2+

Pipe Used: Cristiano

Age When Smoked: undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: CI

Similar Blends: A crowded field..

stinky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stinky (3)

+Had to fire up a bowl as soon as I got home and loved it. Will be buying more to stash away for a while! -Priced a bit high.

Pipe Used: Leedy