As with Bright CR Flake, this is another tobacco that devises its flavour simply from the choice of leaf in the blend, and has no additional casings or flavours to enhance the smoke. (u/s - stands for unscented) 83.5% Blended virginias are combined with a relatively high (for English Blends at any rate) proportion of Malawi Burley, 12.5%, to give flavour and depth to the smoke, and the addition of just 4% Malawi dark fired leaf is sufficient to combat the typical sharpness of the virginia leaf resulting in a rounded medium strength smoke.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
Strength
Taste

3.4
Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (62)

This is a beautiful med. bodied flake. No toppings or casings here. I also get a floral sent but this is not the Lakeland topping everyone talks about. This is what I have perhaps wrongly started to associate with a white Malawi burley that has been toasted and working in combination with that same burley that has been dark fired. The blending notes say that they used a Malawi burley for this blend so the floral note that I pick up is just from it alone. Also, I have smoked this is several pipes, the lakeland topping will always ghost this one never did at least not badly (1 pipe for about 3 bowls). Besides this floral note (what I am reminded of is red clover cut and ready for bailing in the hay field) I also get a creamy, smooth but very light chocolate note from the burleys, some nuttiness here and there that reminds me of black walnuts and Brazil nuts, a little (surprisingly little for such a high VA) sweetness that has notes of caramel, toffee, and coffee and some hay-like grassy notes that could be the VA's or the burley or just the combination of all that is going on. I will revisit latter on down the road.

Medium Mild to Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

I don't like this at all. It was purfume-like and that floral-soapy aroma/taste was disgusting. Objectively it was a nice looking flake that burned well. The volume of smoke was good. To me this stuff was overwhelming with that lakeland stench which is not present in Gawith's BBF or their CF. For me Gawith and Hoggarth are a mixed bag....Love some...Hate others....but its been fun trying.

ROTHNH Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROTHNH (11)

This G&H Brown Flake was in a green G&H box -- a "brick" actually -- perfect whole flakes, stacked neatly with this brick double wrapped inside the box. I decided to jar my new stash last night, including this blend, and was pleased that the flakes were perfectly moist and came apart easily, with minimum breakage, as I stacked them into half-pint canning jars. Of course, I kept the last jar, which was almost full, to add to the current rotation.

What drew me to this tobacco was that burley is the first leaf listed in the blend:

"83.5% Blended virginias are combined with a relatively high (for English Blends at any rate) proportion of Malawi Burley, 12.5%, to give flavour and depth to the smoke, and the addition of just 4% Malawi dark fired leaf is sufficient to combat the typical sharpness of the virginia leaf resulting in a rounded medium strength smoke."

It's made in a similar fashion of the G&H Bright CR Flake, which is another plus for me, since I cellar the CR and enjoy it's bright, lemony, creamy goodness.

I reasoned that this "Brown Brother" to the CR, being burley-forward, would be more full while adding the nuttiness and subtle punch I was looking for. I was a bit concerned though, because some reviewers noted that this "unscented" version was actually laced with Lakeland essence, yet since I'd smoked the CR and detected very little if any essence at all, I decided to go for it anyway. Well, as it turns out, my 500 gram sample of this flake does indeed have a very slight floweryness -- after all, G&H is a very small company and the machinery used to prep their blends can "carry over" from one to the other (makes sense to me LOL).

I cube-cut it, of course. I chose a small half-bent Group 4 Rhodesian for this smoke. Well that slight "floweryness" is nice. And it literally disappeared after the first few puffs -- no way will this Brown Flake ghost a pipe, I'm certain of that. That richness and nuttiness, marrying perfectly with those outstanding virginias I love, is there in spades and remains, burning cool and even, right down to the white ash it leaves me at the bottom of the bowl.

I am sure this flake will age extremely well and I'm glad I bought 500 grams of this. Maybe I should have grabbed another pretty green box of it.

Pipe Used: Wally Frank Comoy Make Shipmate Rhodesian

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all, not a hint of Lakelands (at least in my sample). A lovely, basic, straightforward, even relaxing to smoke blend. The flakes were easy to break up and fold, and lit fairly easily.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 58;

Rated Percentage = 97%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Strong Strength, Rich Natural Tobacco Flavor, No Bite, White Ash Burn.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I ordered this along with Brown Flake Scented (read my review under that entry). Very nicely prepared and long flakes in my 2 ounce sample baggie. No discernible smell upon opening the baggie - tobacco or Lakeland. There was no Lakeland (floral) taste while smoking for that matter. Only rarely did I seem to detect a faint soapiness in the aftertaste, not often, and not in every bowl I smoked, so go figure; very evanescent. This offering packed and lit very easily and smoked clean and dry all the way to the bowl's end. It was neither hot or bitey. A very pleasant smoking experience with a subtle, dry and muted sweetness, a bit chocolaty, a fair amount of nicotine presence, pleasant side stream aroma, and mild to medium taste in the tobacco department. It emits a fantastic room note. After smoking a bowl I went into another room and after a while, the remaining room note from where I was smoking entered into where I was. It was very old-world pipey in aroma and immediately brought back memories of the smell emanating from the pipes of those pipe smokers of my youth - very comforting (reminded me of Capt. Black White). Nothing fancy about this one, and way better than SG's Best Brown Flake or Full Virginia Flake, but along those lines. No complexity here, but in its simplicity lies its strength. This is a high quality, well prepared pipe tobacco and I am happy I tried it. Definitely to enter my rotation, and enjoyable enough for me to have as a daily smoke. Pure tobacco goodness.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I don't care much for the Lakeland taste anymore, and there's not supposed to be any in this blend. But I taste it in a very small amount just the same. Luckily, it's minute enough that I can handle it here. The floral taste is virtually the star note, though the very light chocolate and the burleys show up here and there while you smoke it. The Virginias are slightly sweet and there are light nutty and slight grassy notes, too. A moderately complex, extremely class smoke all the way.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smell of tobacco is very sweet - but not as sweet as in e.g. Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or Best Brown Flake. You can definately find delicate smell of Burley. Smoking is very cool and sweet, with a bit spicy feeling. I like this one. If you like tobaccos with addition of GOOD Burley - you should try this one.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Over the past year, G&H's Unscented Brown Flake has become one of my favorite smokes. Most of the reason for that probably has to do with the flake's relative simplicity. It is, like all G&H flakes, easy to work with and easy to smoke, but it's the flavor that impresses.

There is the barest hint of florals at first light, but then the tobacco settles into a quite rich Virginia-dominated smoke. There is sweetness here – expected in a blend of mature Virginia with a smidge of Burley and a smidge of dark fired leaf. But the sweetness here is modest and isn't cloying as it is in, for example, Sam Gawith's Full Virginia Flake or even SG's Best Brown Flake. The flavor profile, which typically comes off as vaguely chocolaty, isn't at all complex. But it is beautifully balanced and a thoroughly comforting smoke for Virginia lovers.

There is a great deal of similarity between this and G&H's Best Brown #2 and some similarity between this and Germain's Brown Flake. The Germain's product is perhaps more earthy and savage with a drier flavor profile. But for those with a little bit of a sweet tooth, G&H's Unscented Brown Flake is a fine product.

I'll keep this one short. Nice to try the Lakeland-style flake without the Lakeland-style flavorings! Don't get me wrong, I like the Lakeland flavorings, but this one really points out the quality of the Virginias (and I suppose the Malawi Burley) Gawith Hoggarth is using, and presents them in a pure, unadulterated style. I imagine this would age well, and would seriously consider buying a pound for aging. I keep waiting for FVF to return, but I'm sure this is just as good, even though I have not had FVF in a couple years. It would make a worthy substitute, I'm sure. I'm sure many think it's better. How does a Gawith Hoggarth Lakeland Flake taste like without the Lakeland flavorings? Like tobacco. Like tobacco, but this one manages to remain smooth (unlike Dark Birdseye, but I digress. I don't think they were looking for smoothness there!) but at the same time rich. From time to time, I get those fig, fruit, and almond undertones one gets sometimes from good, well-cured Virginia weed, but they stay pretty much in the background. Just the basic good, well-cured Virginia weed is what predominates, and that is enough!

Note: one can get a whiff of those Lakeland scents even in this flake. After all, it is made in the same factory with the likes of Ennerdale and Kendal Flake. Some smokers may just not like these scents at all and be sensitive to their presence even as a "ghosting," but I do not think any flavorings were intentionally added to BF U/S.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The best G&H IMO

Nothing more to say to the fourstarrevies here.

just my 2 cents.

The star of the show here is the Malawi Burley - a bit sweet and very nutty.

Nothing to compare with anyone in the states.

But be carefull. It is good in summer and winter ! I had maked once the the mistake to smooke it over weeks or month without rotation. Thats was too much. I get tired for a few month.

You could it simple duplikat.

Add 50 % G&H Brown Flake plus 50% SAMUEL GAWITH ST. JAMES Flake together and you almost have it

Another good mix is : SAMUEL GAWITH ST. JAMES Flake + SAMUEL GAWITH ST. Balkan Flake

Pipe Used: diverent ca. 20 pieces

Age When Smoked: 1 - 5

Purchased From: bulk

Similar Blends: nothing.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)

Well it's a flake, and it's brown.

My 50g had no trace of any flavouring or floral aromas/toppings at all. A bit damp as supplied (though not dripping wet).

Rubbed out it's a finely cut shag in texture. Smokes easily, with little bite. To be honest I think it tastes as it looks - brown, uninspiring and ordinary. It seems to be lacking something - kind of like it's the backing track to a song, but with the lead vocals yet to be added.

Maybe that's not surprising, as it's basically the scented brown flake without the scent - kind of a base intended to carry added flavours well.

It's not unpleasant, but there are very many more interesting tobaccos about. Two and a half stars, maybe.

Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I will never buy another G&H tobacco again. Don't tell me that a tobacco is UNSCENTED and then have me hit with that crappy Lakeland Floral soap taste with the first light. I should charge them for ghosting my pipe . They probably got the processing equipment dripping with LF soap juice. What a crime, they ruin what looks like a fine tobacco.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE LAKELAND FLORAL SOAP THEN DON'T BUY THIS

I'm about halfway through my Lakeland tour and I'm mightily impressed. This is the 3rd so far that is so good, I can't ignore it as part of my regular rotation.

Nice, even colored flakes with a pleasant but not overly robust bag aroma (2 oz sample). I preferred this rubbed out, as I typically do. I also preferred it with some moisture in it, as when it became too dry, it tended to sizzle my tongue just enough to make it mildly uncomfortable.

The flavor was robust but not strong, sweet but not sickeningly, and mostly devoid of the proverbial "Lakeland taste" of florals. This floral taste tends to come through with the manner of leaf used rather than artificial flavorings, at least with the unscented versions. Quite frankly, this one makes me want to try the aromatic one as well! This blend was a nice marriage between highly flavorful and cigar-notes with an all day sort of tobacco. Nicotine didn't seem too high. The mouthfeel leans towards the rough, but it's far from unpleasant. Faster puffing unleashes not tongue bite or bitter flavor but just a heavier undertone of the basic taste of this wonderful blend. Highly recommended. Another pound or so is on its way to my cellar, and I'm excited to find out what a year or more will do for this stuff.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

It seems my lot in life...every time I find a VA I enjoy, I learn it has a smidge of Burley. Dunhill Flake and Blackwoods Flake may be the only two actual 'straight' VA's that I find worth repeating. (So far...)But I digress.

I picked this 2-3 ounce sample from the local B&M for cheap...they had just received it, and the clerk forgot to label it...it was a mystery weed. One look, and whiff, told me it was a quality mystery, and I was able to get it on a discount. (I called the following day and had the original clerk confirm it as Brown Flake.) Man, good stuff! Strong in that UK Virginia sort of way, without being a total slap to the head. Tasty and non biting, I could see me dropping this into a rotation...if I ever settle into one, that is!

I have to say, between this and the slew of 'scented' G&H flakes I've had, none have been clunkers. This makes me think that I've found a favored blending house. It helps that they are available when I want them to be, too. My next step will probably be to try Bright CR and Dark Flake (and KK, and Bird's eye...)...try the opposite ends of the spectrum that Brown seems to split. If they are close to what I think they'll be, I won't have to stress purchasing (quite) so many tins. Gotta love bulk.

yinyang...smoking the last of his Brown Flake stash in a Hackert antlered General.

Four stars.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a much-appreciated gift. This review will bear re-writing, as I feel it and I are still only barely acquainted after several quiet bowls.

I am not well-versed in Virginias, and have only a small frame of reference.

It is, to begin with, dark-pressed Virginia. It smells sweet and musty in the jar, qualities which softly evolve when a match brings this to life. The natural sweetness is complemented by something dark and earthy. There's clearly no casing or essence, but something in the pressing or the blending imparts delicate and surprising flavors, of incense, candle wax. This is full of pleasant surprises.

Interesting, flavorful. Strongly recommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I pulled some of this from a box pass and set it aside to dry and when the moisture content was right, I have smoked nothing but it for a few days now and I have to say this blend satisfies. It really would make a great all day blend. In the bag, mine was already rubbed out from the flake, is a uniform medium brown in color, is a ribbon cut rough flake and the pouch aroma is a slightly sweet, yet peaty aroma of a nice VA blend. I say blend because it does have a little burley in it which gives it a nice rounded body yet the VA is the dominent tobacco and lends it's sweet, creamy, and smooth flavor from top to bottom of the pipe. It loads easily into my pipe, I tried it in a lot of different pipes and find that it smokeds best in a stacked somehat narrow bowl. It does have a "N" presence but not overly so but enough to satisfy the itch. It is very cool smoking and it smokes at a very nice slow pace and sipping it with strong coffee is fantastic. It is not a tongue biter at all even if you get aggresive with it. It smokes all the way down to the bottom of the pipe with no moisture and no dottle left, just a medium grey ash powder left when done. Since it was out of a box pass, i don't know how aged this was but i can imagine that this would be a great one to cellar and would get better with age, if it needs to get better, it's great as is. I smoked it so much that my pouch was gone very fast and I will miss it after i finish this last bowl I am smoking as I type this. I hope to procure more in the near future both to smoke and to cellar. This is the unscented blend not the scented, and I could not imagine wanting to change the taste in any way. This is a first class tobacco that is a great mix and I have to say I highly recommend this to everyone. I can find nothing negative about this blend at all. They simply nailed it on this one!

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)

I tried a few GH flakes recently and this is the one that I liked the most.

Big, robust flakes, mid-brown in colour and with a typical fermented Virginia pouch aroma. Great moisture level too and I found it a very easy tobacco to live with in terms of smoking rate, lack of relights etc.

The strength and volume are just right for me. Plenty of mouth filling, medium level rounded flavour with a bright Virginia sweetness backed up by the Burley giving background and satisfaction. Overall, I just get the impression of a good Virginia, which I suppose points to a well blended and aged tobacco. Some welcome fruitiness there too, but I don't find is swamped with Lakeland funk like some are.

The downside for me was the tongue bite. I had to go very, very carefully with this one to avoid it, but the easy-going nature of the smoke made me forget all the time. Ouch! Three stars.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

To my mind/taste, this is one of the most successful of the G & H flakes. It all depends on what you like, of course; but its great virtue, to me, is that it's a completely natural, unscented tobacco (Virginia/Burley) with a good, consistent ‘masculine' flavour. There's a nice, spicy, traditional Virginia aroma as soon as you open the packet. There's no fancy perfume or gimmick of any sort. If you like G & H's Ennerdale flake with its very heavy casing and overpowering properties of aroma and flavour, I guess you won't like this. If you like your tobacco to taste of tobacco and nothing else, this will be a good choice for you: sweet, good and full all the way down the bowl. DGT is very rewarding also.

BF is a fairly mild and satisfyingly tasty smoke, without the cigar flavour and sharpness that I find in G & H's Dark Flake. It burns well and evenly all the way to the end, doesn't bite (if you take it at the steady pace that Virginias need and deserve), and has an acceptable/pleasant room note: Klio (cat) and SWMBO don't mind it. It's better folded than rubbed out: not a cheap way to smoke a flake, but very satisfying in terms of flavour and duration. It does rub out satisfactorily, though, and if you store it the flakes will disintegrate naturally after a while.

BF will give you a good long smoke in a big bowl: the nicotine hit is not excessive, and it doesn't ask anything more of you than passive enjoyment. If you smoke all day (I don't), this would be a good all-day tobacco. It's one of my personal Arcadia blends. Samuel Gawith's Medium Virginia Flake runs it pretty close, but Brown Flake still has the edge IMO. I wish I could give it more than the maximum number of stars. After a lifetime of searching, I reckon this is just about as good as it gets. No matter how many tobaccos I try, I always come back to this.

BTW: this also comes in an aromatic version. My prejudices being what they are, I think this ruins a wonderful baccy; but people might like to give it a try. At any rate it's a lot less over the top than Ennerdale Flake.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to admit that this has taken a while for me to fully understand, both in terms of the floral note and the tobacco flavor. I'm still not sure I've got it right.

This has a characteristic Lakeland flavor, which I interpret as a flowery sense on the palate. However, this should not be taken to mean a light sense. It is full of flavor and full to a VA oriented palatte. It may appear thin to a palatte that is attuned to a Latakia standard.

The blend responds well to a DGT treatment and is quite tastey after 20 min followed by 12 hours.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

another classic! actually, i'm not absolutely certain that i'm not reviewing "best brown #2", as it was bought as "rich brown flake, unscented". but as "best brown" doesn't come in a scented version, i guess this review is in the right place! :-/

anyway, this does resemble bright cr flake a lot. the same whiff of perfume, only weaker. the same spicy discreet sweetness. only, here you get a bit of added strength and earthyness from the burley (and probably the dark fired, though i can't taste it). the pouch aroma has a bit of vanilla/tonquin bean in it, but luckily there's no trace of it in the smoke. it may just be the kentucky, actually.

it is certainly not an in-your-face tobacco, but it kinda sneaked in on me, and i soon thoroughly enjoyed it. one of my favourites.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I sorta stand corrected. This may be the ideal place to begin experimenting with Lakeland flakes. I prefer this to the aromatic variety but please note there does seem to be a floral flavor in this flake. Maybe this is from it being made at the same place as the heavily cased offerings of GH& Co offers. Who knows I think it enhances the smoke early on for by mid bowl it seems like a very good VA flake with depth and weight of the best in the category. I also like the room note better then most other flakes out there that are unflavored.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I enjoyed this from the first bowlful -- a straightforward but nevertheless rich blend of African Virginias and burley that makes for a delightful change of pace from straight Virginia flakes (and from other Virginia blends that aren't based on African leaf).

I've tried this rubbed out and simply folded up. But this didn't hit its peak for me until the flake had been in a jar for several months and -- as a result of that time -- had naturally fallen apart into small, easy-to-pack strands that were still properly moist but much easier to pack.

It also became much more rewarding in the bowl after all of that jar time. As others have noted, Brown Flake is not a complex blend, but it can be extremely satisfying. If you don't take to it right away -- but you're likely to be partial to its ingredients -- let it sit in a jar for a month or so and then see what you think.

Bob

kilted1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kilted1 (43)

I have lately been exploring Lakeland Flakes, I have smoked Brown Flake off and on for several years now and thought it was time for a review.

Appearance: A mostly dark brown with some lighter brown and tan mottling with a few yellowish bits leathery flake of varying thickness. Tin aroma: The first thing that is apparent when opening a tin of Brown Flake is quite simply tobacco. You couldn't possibly mistake this for anything else. I don't detect any casing or topping at all, just a fresh tobacco smell, deep and rich. There are nice stewed fruit tones, with leather and spiciness and a deep nutty mustiness which I associate mostly with mature Burley.

This tobacco is absolutely perfect for smoking, no drying time required. As with most flake tobaccos I simply take several flakes together, fold them in half and insert them length-wise into the bowl trimming off the excess. I find it has a much better burn this way and makes for a long enjoyable smoke. For this review, I?ve chosen an Nording Silver Series Canadian which is dedicated to Virginia based flakes.

A first light is brings billows of rich white smoke, followed with a brief visit of the tamper to settle the light crowning effect and then a tamping light. Immediately this blend is there, full and rich. A rich dark stewed fruit taste with nuts and mustiness. When exhaled nasally there is a slight sharpness and citrus quality and deep leathery flavors and scents. The first third of the bowl gradually builds in slowly increasing intensity. This has a very rich creamy mouth feel which I find irresistible.

Mid Bowl: Approaching mid-bowl, the fullness tends to build and while I wouldn?t call this mixture particularly complex, the flavors slowly deepen into a rich deep harmony. The Virginias build in depth and character while the Burley slowly builds and begins to assert dominance. Eventually the Burley becomes the main statement, though in a very refined way, tempering the brighter Virginia qualities. The Burley seems to enhance all the finer points about the Virgina, lending depth and mustiness. From time to time rich almost Maduro like scents are just there, however briefly.

Home Stretch: As end of the bowl approaches, I find that it becomes more intense though never overpoweringly so. The Burley eventually becomes the most dominant component with the Virginias with their stewed fruit scents fading. Deep and resonant forest, leather and cigar tones emerge from the heart of this blend, and it pleasantly drones on like a fog horn. If there were ever a deep rich Virginia and Burley flake for cold winter nights this is it. The final third of any bowl of this become very rich indeed. The perfect compliment to a nice cup of strong tea by the fireplace in late evening. I highly recommend this blend to a mature seasoned smoker. Plenty of interest for those who prefer English/Balkan products as well.

Supplemental Notes: This is a regular part of my rotation as a especially for late Autumn or Winter nights. ** 4 full stars

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another fine flake from the house of Gawith, et.al. I think that this is their version of Samuel Gawiths Brown Flake. The main difference is that this one is a bit earthier in flavor and a tad bit stronger, plus it has a tinge of the famous "Lakelend" scent.I found it perfect in moisture and had no issues with tongue-bite at all. I found it just as cool as BBF. One note of warning: Dedicate a pipe to it, because it will impart the scenting to your pipes. Even though this is the "unscented" version, it still has a tinge of the scenting that I suppose comes from it being in the same factory, but I like it so it doesn't really matter to me. I will definitely continue smoking this blend, alternating between it and BBF. Enjoy...

This is a blend for those moments in which you want to taste true tobacco and nothing else. Though it can seem a little flat in taste if you're used to scented blends or mixtures, at a more concentrate smoke it reveals all its subtleties. The taste is dominated by the Virginia sweetness, while the little addition of Burley helps a lot in rounding the typical Va harshness and contributes in keeping a certain coolness. To be a Lake District classic flake, it burns remarkably well and dry, without a lot of relights.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

11/24/04 Brown Flake has an earthy/musty smell in the pouch. I do not detect any flavorings or casings. It is a beautiful flake, composed of dark and lighter brown leaf. I prefer to let it dry a little before smoking. It?s more expensive than McClelland bulk Virginias, but still quite economical due to its slow burning qualities.

I prefer not to rub it out; I think I get a little more flavor and it burns slow and steady. The flavor is very similar to the pouch aroma: earthy, hay-like, and slightly creamy. I enjoy the room-note; it?s very natural and slightly sweet. I like Brown Flake best in the morning, particularly outside or in my car on the way to work with the window open. It?s a blend that can be enjoyed year-round. Brown Flake is not terribly complex, but straightforward and satisfying. There are no substantial high notes like Bright CR Flake, but it?s smoother and creamier, which is probably due to the added burley. It could easily be an all-day smoke.

Update 09/25/05 All my other comments still hold, but I want to upgrade my rating. Its creamy and smooth nature deserves 4 stars.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Another wonderful Va flake by G&H. Stan pretty much sum it up perfectly as usual and all that I will add is that the only reason I don't smoke it more often is because I think Best Brown #2 is slightly better and very similiar. That said however, I would never turn down a bowlfull.

The Cellarmaster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Cellarmaster (13)

If your in the mood for a straight VA this is the stuff. Not a complex smoke by any means just plain good tobacco that will hold your intrest to the bottom of the bowl. long flakes allow you to rub out to the desired consistancy. packs and smokes well. Elegant in its simplisity

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Brown Flake (unscented) is very attractive. Lots of colors, from bright to dark brown. What we have here is a classic and classy flake that is suitable for all-day smoking.

Brown Flake is a flavor-forward mixture that is naturally sweet and honest to the palate. The mouthfeel is on the full side, but that in no way means bite. This is smooth stuff, but you know you're smoking it. You also may notice a slightly sweet aftertaste. Very nice.

Brown Flake is easy to smoke. It burns nicely and remains interesting to the end. Highly recommended.

subagent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
subagent (4)

Brown Flake. I load it in pieces just short of the height of the bowl, strand ends oriented up and down; top it off with enough rubbed out flake to cover, light and go.

Initially, there is a strong "Lakeland" flavor which diminishes quickly to a very subtle, sometimes absent, note. Present througout the smoke is a distinctly British, but also clearly Virginia, sweetness. At the same time, there is a spiciness. Not spicy like pepper, but more like...baking spices (whatever they are!).

I find Brown Flake, well, mouth-watering. It's changes are slow and subtle, and its complexity is minimal. This is not, for me, boring, but rather satisfying. Like eating a slice of pumpkin pie.

Also noteworthy is minimal bite. Savored slowly, it is um...savory! Puffed hard, it will still return flavor with no bitterness, but far less chewy goodness.

As best as I can tell, the room note is not unpleasant. So, I find it a good smoke when wandering about the house, expecting company, or sitting in the park when I have a bit of time on my hands.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)

I find far too many of the VA flakes from across the pond to be downright weird. GH offers some of those, to be sure, but Brown Flake is a nice, unadulterated flake with only a smidgen of the telltale floral aroma, which appears to come from the processing, rather than toppings. It is an excellent, all day smoke that has its share of fans, but doesn't quite do it for me. Still, it's well tooled, balanced, and very nice.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

I was first intrigued with this blend and foolishly bought quite a bit of it. I liked the lightly scented flavor with good tobacco taste. But after a year of trying to tame the bite, I have given up. I now smoke it almost bone dry, usually a cure for Va. bite, but to no avail, and if I smoke it moist, I feel like I am sucking steam. I very much like a wide variety of the G&H dark flakes and dark scented flakes. But almost all of their lighter brown tobaccos, except for Broken Scotch Cake, do not get along with my tongue. There are just too many excellent tobaccos on the market these days to fool around with it any longer. I advise a small sample if you try this one. That should be enough to discover if you are immune to its bite. Paddy.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Given my proclivities towards natural virginias and my new found interest in Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's scented virginia flakes, I really expected to love this blend of Virginias and Malawi Burleys. Alas, it wasn't to be. It's not that there's anything that I particularly dislike about it-- good burning characteristics, pleasantly strong, but not overwhelmingly so etc. It has just failed to grab my attention. I also find it bites a little, which surprises me, as I'm not often bitten by straight virginias (except for a couple of the McClelland blends).

I find it rather earthy and musty by virginia standards-- and not quite as sweet as I had anticipated, given my experiences with Samuel Gawith's Full Va Flake (which I find almost cloying, depending on the pipe I smoke it in) and Best Brown to which this is often compared. I will continue to smoke it off and on-- perhaps I've missed something in these first four or five bowls.

All in all, there's nothing particularly wrong with this-- it's not at all unpleasant. I just find that there are other virginias (including some made by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.), that I find to be more interesting.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received some of this as a "bonus" when I purchased a pipe at a local tobacconist. The sample I received was quite generous and allowed me ample opportunity to get to know this note-worthy tobacco.

U/S Brown Flake came to me as a broken flake with a pouch aroma reminiscent of freshly cut hay. I love the "grassy" smell of "un-fooled-around-with" virginias. The Malawi burley is not evident in the pouch aroma (at least as far as my allergy ravaged schnoz can tell), but if you inspect the broken flakes closely enough, you can see the blondish strands.

U/S Brown Flake lights easily and stay lit without much attention. The initial flavor is a musty/grassy/sweet tang that interplays with the faintest of florals that G & H is known for. As soon as I detected the floral in the background, I braced myself for the soapiness that often accompanies the florals. I am glad to say that this never developed and the floral essence dissipated quickly.

From that point I was left with a lightly sweet and clean burning smoke that burned down nicely to a mottled grey ash. The spicy aroma that often comes with VA's kicked in about 1/2 way down the bowl - right about the same time that the sugars started to develope. While this tobacco blend never kicks in with your sweet tooth, it stays lightly sweet and, thanks to the Malawi Burley, is a very satisfying smoking experience. No need for handfuls of pipe-cleaners while smoking this.

G & H Brown Flake DGT's very well. I might even suggest this as standard modus operandi for this good tobacco. Highly recommended.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

My favorite unscented GH blend. Sweet, cool, wonderfully "brown", and possessed of that wonderful GH signature flavor, which I believe comes from the steam-pressing and leaf selection. Gorgeous pliable 6 inch flakes. Not incredibly complex but oh-so-satisfying, like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day.

Store a pound of this away - or more.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I picked up a couple ounces of this blend to try earlier today. The flake is quite pliable and easily packs in the bowl. As with most flakes I rubbed out a single piece of flake to assist in the lighting. It lit easily and did not require a relight.

The initial taste is full, with a nice, almost leathery/creamy texture on my palate, and a slight, pleasing, peppery taste. As I smoked down the bowl, a faint sweet note began to accompany the full rich taste.

The taste left me feeling satisfied and content. This is not what I would consider an all-day smoke, rather, and end of day, "All is Well," smoke.

I look forward to rubbing this flake out on my next turn with it to see if changes will be noted.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (140)
Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

This is the unscented version. Man, this is a full virginia flake that is richer, with more body, and more complex than SG's full virginia flake IMO (which is darker in flavor). The age of the matured virginias (years) and the burley in this brown flake adds to the strength I'm sure.

This is so rich to me that I feel like I have had a full meal with I'm finished a bowl. (Now it doesn't have the spice or effects of the extreme SG 1792 dark flake.) I've been smoking this brown flake blend for about a year exclusively in a Cavicchi bent rhodesian and still later in a Rinaldo bent bulldog, both large pipes, and I plan to smoke it in more pipes rotating soon.

It is cool, very rich, dry, and steady burning, with an earthy tobacco flavor right to the edge. I find that it does develope an edge it I break the flake up much, so it is best just to break the bottom a little and to twist or push a good portion (or all) of a flake into your bowl for maximum coolness. The flakes are quite long. The finish is slightly stronger. Smoke it slowly.

This blend is available from several sources in the U.S. in bulk, so you can start with 50 grams and work up to more.

It doesn't compare with SG's Best Brown, which is more of a medium and scented (I like GH's better), but seems comparable to Walnut Flake (maybe stronger but not richer) and Germain's Brown Flake (not quite as full but rich and tasty -- still testing).

I also tried a few bowls of the GH's Scented Brown Flake for the semi-aromatic buffs, which is the same formula, with "english flavors", and is a bit on the sweet side (but I didn't smoke it enough to review it fully). So far I prefer the unscented Brown Flake. I'll stick with that one for now. How could they make it any better?

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

A nice full VA flake . Definately worth a try if you like full VAs , similar to FVF .

LondonCalling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LondonCalling (7)

It's probably fair to say this is my desert island blend: it's the one I always seem to end up smoking; which is just as well, as I have a pretty healthy stash of the stuff. There's nothing which really stands out about it. It's not flavoured. It's not particularly strong, yet nor is it particularly mild. It's typically neither too wet, nor too dry. There isn't even anything about it I'd call particularly distinctive. It's just very straightforward, honest-to-goodness tobacco which behaves politely in the pipe, and consistently delivers an enjoyable smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson silver band billiard

Age When Smoked: Circa one year

Purchased From: Aireys of Kendal

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (25)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Knightsmoker's review really covers everything. This is a delicious, straight tobacco with lots of flavor. It burns cool and without bite.

My only regret is that I didn't buy a pound when I started cellaring this flake three years ago. It is certainly appropriate for an all-day smoke.

Pipe Used: Big CAO Meer

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (130)

Nice meaty flakes with the right moisture that I fold in my pipe. I have a nice malty, toasty and nutty flavor that is well rounded. Creamy Virginia with some typical notes, no bite whatsoever. A good blended tobacco is about balance and this one has it. Definitely worth a try for the Virginia smoker.

I find this very enjoyable ! It has splendid mellow flavour and no tongue bite whatsoever ! It is also very easy to rub out and fill your bowl with ! One of those tobaccos that makes you want more of it ! This is a fabulous tobacco !

Pipe Used: Peterson