This traditional Kendal blend is comprised of all light Virginias in a shag cut.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Contents Virginia
CutShag
CountryUnknown
Strength
Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Very Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

TMacpherson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TMacpherson (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Easy to light, easy to keep lit, the shag cut makes this a dream to smoke. A very mild smoke with some nicotine. I enjoyed this while hiking through the Pemi Wilderness during a perfect winter 5 days.

Pipe Used: Zenz Apple

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Nice Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, White Ash Burn.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit right up front that I am generally not a fan of straight bright Virginias. Add to that that this Kendal Gold is a shag cut which is OK, but with a straight bright Virginia, maybe not so much. My first thought was that this is cigarette tobacco. In the pouch, there is almost no distinguishable scent of hay or grass or anything else for that matter. But since I’m smoking it, not much of the other stuff matters right? In the pipe, when packed just right, I must admit that I enjoy the flavor of KG. There is a definite difference with the Virginias that come out of Gawith Hoggarth than other Virginias I have smoked. The distinct flavor reminds me of the old time English tobaccos that come out of the Lake District. It never bites and unless really pushed or not packed correctly. I don’t believe that the flavor is a result of a topping, but rather the stain of leaf used. As with the pouch scent, there isn’t really any hay flavor, but a cool burning, slightly sweet tobacco. I don’t get any floral or soap flavor often associated with the GH blends either. My only real negative is that this is pretty monochromatic. It is kind of a “set it and forget it” blend that I find satisfying. There is also a bit of a nic hit with KG too, although not strong. I prefer something like Bright CR Flake from GH to this, but KG is a worthy smoke for those that enjoy bright Virginias from GH.

Pipe Used: mainly straight bulldogs