This traditional Kendal blend is comprised of all light Virginias in a shag cut.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
CutShag
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit right up front that I am generally not a fan of straight bright Virginias. Add to that that this Kendal Gold is a shag cut which is OK, but with a straight bright Virginia, maybe not so much. My first thought was that this is cigarette tobacco. In the pouch, there is almost no distinguishable scent of hay or grass or anything else for that matter. But since I’m smoking it, not much of the other stuff matters right? In the pipe, when packed just right, I must admit that I enjoy the flavor of KG. There is a definite difference with the Virginias that come out of Gawith Hoggarth than other Virginias I have smoked. The distinct flavor reminds me of the old time English tobaccos that come out of the Lake District. It never bites and unless really pushed or not packed correctly. I don’t believe that the flavor is a result of a topping, but rather the stain of leaf used. As with the pouch scent, there isn’t really any hay flavor, but a cool burning, slightly sweet tobacco. I don’t get any floral or soap flavor often associated with the GH blends either. My only real negative is that this is pretty monochromatic. It is kind of a “set it and forget it” blend that I find satisfying. There is also a bit of a nic hit with KG too, although not strong. I prefer something like Bright CR Flake from GH to this, but KG is a worthy smoke for those that enjoy bright Virginias from GH.

Pipe Used: mainly straight bulldogs

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

TMacpherson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TMacpherson (1)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Easy to light, easy to keep lit, the shag cut makes this a dream to smoke. A very mild smoke with some nicotine. I enjoyed this while hiking through the Pemi Wilderness during a perfect winter 5 days.

Pipe Used: Zenz Apple

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Nice Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, White Ash Burn.

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is really one of the finest tobacco's I have ever had in a cigarette. Its shag cut perfect for RYO. It comes moist so if your using for cigs will need some dry time. Its pricey but worth it if your a connoisseur of good cig tobacco. Just has a great pure Virginia taste to it. Its a very naturally sweet Virginia no toppings on this one its not needed.

Pipe Used: RYO

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Similar Blends: 3 Castles, Golden Virginia, 3 Sails, 3C.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)

This straight, sweetish VA isn’t as good as the Kendal’s Mixed shag in the Gawith & Hoggarth range, because it lacks that bit of ‘bite’ that the Burley gives to the latter. It’s all right, though. Not for the connoisseur or the lover of strong flavours, but if you want an all-day easy smoke, this is a respectable choice; it’s also, as far as I can tell, a completely natural tobacco with nothing added, and I like that. It packs well, burns easily (and, for a shag cut, remarkably slowly), doesn’t bite unless you beg it to, and doesn’t make too many demands on the palate. Admittedly it lacks flavour and ‘body’, but sometimes that isn’t a bad thing. I find this kind of tobacco good in hot weather when one wants something light; it suits a large bowl, tight packing and slow smoking. I find also that it is much better indoors than out. I don't know why this is, but it seems to lose its flavour completely in any sort of breeze. Maybe it's just me, but that's how it seems.

My brother-in-law makes rollups with Kendal Gold, and it would, in fact, be a good transitional smoke for someone wanting to make the shift from cigarette to pipe smoking. As an earlier reviewer has said, it’s a good mixer; it goes well with St Bruno Ready Rubbed, I find. I wouldn’t queue in the rain for it, to be honest; but it’s a nice tobacco for what it is, and the beginner will not find it too challenging. BTW: It's not what you would call a strong tobacco, but Vitamin N is certainly present. The room note is no big treat, incidentally; it's like cigarette smoke in high concentrations. I put it down as 'tolerable', but SWMBO denounced it in no uncertain manner.

Pipe Used: Large Ropp billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: Durham Pipes and Tobacco

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I really wanted to like Kendal Gold. I am a huge G&H fan. I have liked the handful of straight light Virginia flakes that I have smoked. I tried to like it. It is so amazingly nondescript that I wonder if it meant to be used as a blender only, except that it is more filler than blender, as it has virtually no taste. It makes an ok cigarette, except for the trace of Lakeland baby powder (which I like in thier other blends, by the way).

I would describe the cut as an ultra-fine ribbon, just this side of a shag. It is the same as the Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky, and is a great uniform cut.

I'm letting mine rest in the hopes that it will improve with age.

Pipe Used: cob