This traditional Kendal blend is comprised of all light Virginias in a shag cut.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
CutShag
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

2.7
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit right up front that I am generally not a fan of straight bright Virginias. Add to that that this Kendal Gold is a shag cut which is OK, but with a straight bright Virginia, maybe not so much. My first thought was that this is cigarette tobacco. In the pouch, there is almost no distinguishable scent of hay or grass or anything else for that matter. But since I’m smoking it, not much of the other stuff matters right? In the pipe, when packed just right, I must admit that I enjoy the flavor of KG. There is a definite difference with the Virginias that come out of Gawith Hoggarth than other Virginias I have smoked. The distinct flavor reminds me of the old time English tobaccos that come out of the Lake District. It never bites and unless really pushed or not packed correctly. I don’t believe that the flavor is a result of a topping, but rather the stain of leaf used. As with the pouch scent, there isn’t really any hay flavor, but a cool burning, slightly sweet tobacco. I don’t get any floral or soap flavor often associated with the GH blends either. My only real negative is that this is pretty monochromatic. It is kind of a “set it and forget it” blend that I find satisfying. There is also a bit of a nic hit with KG too, although not strong. I prefer something like Bright CR Flake from GH to this, but KG is a worthy smoke for those that enjoy bright Virginias from GH.

Pipe Used: mainly straight bulldogs

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Nice Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, White Ash Burn.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (77)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This is just an OK blend. I really like most of the G&H's offerings I have tried so far but this one just missed for me. The VA's are gold and it might be topped with something very lightly, perhaps sugar water? As it seems sweeter than a natural VA could be but only slightly. There is also a brown sugar like taste to it. Not that it is brown sugar that has been added just reminds me of it a little but that is not it. No hay/grass notes really, but a zesty spicy note that reminds me of cinnamon. Again, not suggesting it was added but the spicy note reminds me of similarities of it. Outside of these notes, the blend is rather one dimensional. It never bites would be a good all day blend if you are into it, might mix well but it is not marketed as a blender so I base the rating on its stand alone points. While not bad there are many other mild golden VA blends that are better Dan's HV, for example comes to mind. I doubt it will age as mild as it is. I see no reason to revisit this one personally.

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (38)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this tobacco to be fairly bland. The tobacco itself is not bad quality, and it has some flavour to it - it's not like smoking hot air, but it is very cigarette-like. That quality is great in cigarettes, but not what I really look for in a pipe tobacco. The tin note is likewise, fairly bland, not unpleasant, but doesn't rock my world, it's a sweet hay-like scent. The tobacco packs well & burns easily, so it was easy to smoke. I found it had no bite, either, which is somewhat surprising considering it is pure Virginia. The room note is fairly mild, again fairly cigarette-like. Due to the fact that it burned easily, was a simple smoke and didn't bite like a ravenous beast, I will give it 2 stars, as the tobacco itself was not bad as such, but I don't think I'll be queuing in the rain to buy more. I may purchase some in future for a quick smoke when I need something with reliable burn that I can smoke quickly, or to use as a blending base, but I don't think I will ever consider this as a 'go to' tobacco. May age well, due to it being all Virginia, so might get some for cellaring to see how that works out.

Pipe Used: Peterson Standard System 317 (smooth), Stonehaven

Purchased From: Smokewise Eastbourne

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (117)

This straight, sweetish VA isn’t as good as the Kendal’s Mixed shag in the Gawith & Hoggarth range, because it lacks that bit of ‘bite’ that the Burley gives to the latter. It’s all right, though. Not for the connoisseur or the lover of strong flavours, but if you want an all-day easy smoke, this is a respectable choice; it’s also, as far as I can tell, a completely natural tobacco with nothing added, and I like that. It packs well, burns easily (and, for a shag cut, remarkably slowly), doesn’t bite unless you beg it to, and doesn’t make too many demands on the palate. Admittedly it lacks flavour and ‘body’, but sometimes that isn’t a bad thing. I find this kind of tobacco good in hot weather when one wants something light; it suits a large bowl, tight packing and slow smoking. I find also that it is much better indoors than out. I don't know why this is, but it seems to lose its flavour completely in any sort of breeze. Maybe it's just me, but that's how it seems.

My brother-in-law makes rollups with Kendal Gold, and it would, in fact, be a good transitional smoke for someone wanting to make the shift from cigarette to pipe smoking. As an earlier reviewer has said, it’s a good mixer; it goes well with St Bruno Ready Rubbed, I find. I wouldn’t queue in the rain for it, to be honest; but it’s a nice tobacco for what it is, and the beginner will not find it too challenging. BTW: It's not what you would call a strong tobacco, but Vitamin N is certainly present. The room note is no big treat, incidentally; it's like cigarette smoke in high concentrations. I put it down as 'tolerable', but SWMBO denounced it in no uncertain manner.

Pipe Used: Large Ropp billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the shop

Purchased From: Durham Pipes and Tobacco

TMacpherson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TMacpherson (3)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I was expecting to enjoy this as much as I did. Easy to light, easy to keep lit, the shag cut makes this a dream to smoke. A very mild smoke with some nicotine. I enjoyed this while hiking through the Pemi Wilderness during a perfect winter 5 days.

Pipe Used: Zenz Apple

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Gold. When I take a whiff of the tobacco at the beginning there really isn't anything to report, a very very slight Virginia smell but it's subdued in the up-most fashion. This one arrived at a satisfactory amount of hydration and just like I have heard, one could be forgiven for thinking it's cigarette tobacco! It lights easily and once lit I find the same character within the taste as I noted in the appearance... it tastes just like a cigarette! By no means does it taste bad, to do so it would require character of which it has none! I will raise some more positive points now, the first is tongue bite, it feels similar to a cigarette with the fact it's a comfortable smoke on the pallet. Another similarity is temperature, it's a cool smoke that doesn't become hot even when under strain. Nicotine, again it's cigarette quantity, is this truly a pipe tobacco?!! After a few bowls I have come to the conclusion that this would be a great tobacco for someone looking to switch from ciggies to the pipe but it will bore the socks off any seasoned smoker!! Two stars.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: G.Q Tobaccos

marper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marper (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is really one of the finest tobacco's I have ever had in a cigarette. Its shag cut perfect for RYO. It comes moist so if your using for cigs will need some dry time. Its pricey but worth it if your a connoisseur of good cig tobacco. Just has a great pure Virginia taste to it. Its a very naturally sweet Virginia no toppings on this one its not needed.

Pipe Used: RYO

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Similar Blends: 3 Castles, Golden Virginia, 3 Sails, 3C.

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I really wanted to like Kendal Gold. I am a huge G&H fan. I have liked the handful of straight light Virginia flakes that I have smoked. I tried to like it. It is so amazingly nondescript that I wonder if it meant to be used as a blender only, except that it is more filler than blender, as it has virtually no taste. It makes an ok cigarette, except for the trace of Lakeland baby powder (which I like in thier other blends, by the way).

I would describe the cut as an ultra-fine ribbon, just this side of a shag. It is the same as the Dark Birdseye and Kendal Kentucky, and is a great uniform cut.

I'm letting mine rest in the hopes that it will improve with age.

Pipe Used: cob