A slow burning blend of Black Cavendish, bright Virginia and Burley. This is a cool, mild smoke.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeCavendish Based

What do you get when you take Burley, Virginia and some mildly sweet black Cavendish, then make it with those familiar flavors from Gawith Hoggarth and you have one tasty, lightly sweet tobacco. I would call Black and Brown the non-aromatic smoker’s aromatic. The pouch scent is terrific. I cannot detect any soapy or floral flavor here, but there is no mistaking that this is a Gawith Hoggarth blend. Unlike most aromatics (not all), there is a visit from Lady N in B&B too. I would not call this a strong blend, although some pure aromatic smokers might disagree. B&B is a really nice change of pace that offers just enough sweetness to fill my craving without the need to smoke a chocolate, vanilla, maple or other type aromatic even though I enjoy those on occasion as well. B&B is another high quality tobacco that I have grown accustomed to from GH.

I was impressed with SteelCowboy's review of Black and Brown as he pretty much covered my thoughts about this blend and then some. I also detected a rather "G&H like" nuance as I smoked the tobacco without really getting any true (in my opinion) Lakeland taste. It is not a mild blend and has more depth than a traditional Burley/Virginia blend due to the heady dose of rich, black Cavendish. I thought the overall presentation would be a really good smoke for aromatic lovers as there is just a little too much sweetness for me to smoke it regularly.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth Black and Brown . The actual mix is very appealing on the eye , a blend that appears to be 60 % Black Cavendish , 20 % Burley and 20 % Virginia . On the negative side it is a bit on the moist side so maybe a little extra airing time would ameliorate it . The unlit aroma is amazing , a "big" smell which is very sweet with a slight Vanilla essence as well . Despite the fact it is a little moist mine still lights up quite well only requiring a little extra work and no matter how much time it takes to get going the smoke taste is more than a remuneration for the extra work ! The flavour of the smoke is sublime , the Burley and Virginia provide a fabulous base taste while the Black Cavendish works some serious magic with your pallet ! The the actual smoke is of a brilliantly full sumptuous build which sets the precedent where thick smoke is concerned . The burn is very even throughout the whole pipe and it is not overly hot , delivering a nice temperature of smoke which can be inhaled with ease if chosen to without making your head spin or yearn for more vitamin N . The room note is not as special as the taste , it is not offensive nor malodorous in any way but only quite a standard one for the included Tobaccos . I think this will suit many causes , fairly mild for beginners , slightly sweet for aromatic lovers and multiple tobacco flavours for the more experienced of us ! For me it will become a regular in my selection !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (41)

When I started smoking a pipe in the late '70s I was pretty much a Dunhill/Balkan Sobranie guy, primarily because that seemed to be what was most available outside of OTC blends. Good for me I didn't like aromatics; however, I seem to have thrown out the baby with the bathwater in assuming that all cavendish tasted like those OTC aromatics. To the point, only in the last 5 years or so have I come to appreciate natural cavendish as an extremely good and important tobacco. Even without "flavoring", through process the underlying leaf sweetens to varying degrees. Black & Brown is to my taste and experience the finest cavendish-forward blend out there. As SteelCowboy said it is the non-aromatic smoker's aromatic. Here, "aromatic" to me means that the cavendish process has amped up the fragrance inherent in the leaf. The blend is perfection, the burn qualities and cut are without complaint and the effect is a satisfying (surprisingly good nic hit) smoke that leaves you with an impression strong enough to come to mind each time you're undecided on what to smoke when the desire hits. This is not to say that the burley and virginia get lost. They are evident all the while, delicious, complimentary and integral to the blend. Nothing to really compare it to. In that vein, however, one last thing -- it's also a great tobacco to take a bit of and throw in a little blending latakia and/or oriental. Tastes then like an (even better?) iteration of a number of fine blends (namely MM 965, McClelland Coyote Classic). Good job by not only the blender but the 4 gentlemen whose reviews caused me to order this terrific stuff.

Pipe Used: large billiards

Age When Smoked: direct from e-tailer

Purchased From:;

Similar Blends: see review.

mrchewson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrchewson (4)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

One of my favourite tobaccos, I bought this on a whim due to the tobacconist I visited having a limited stock of pipe tobacco, and I have to say it's became my number one go to blend, hardly any heat or bite, and a really nice sweet taste, a good nicotine hit, and a great room note. It seems to work really nice in my 18th century skull clay pipe more than the briar, but maybe that's just me! A highly recommended tobacco which is now the staple blend in my ever growing collection.

Pipe Used: Antique (18c) scottish clay bowl Bent skull pipe

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, No Bite

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (90)

This is one of the cleanest burning American style aromatics out there. The Cavendish is flavored just enough to provide sweet "Cavendish Depth" but it is not at all overpowering. Plus it creates thick, chewy clouds of fragrant smoke and has a touch of strength.

Maybe it is a little too sweet, but this is coming from someone who smokes Bayou Night daily. A really great American style aromatic to blend with too, if you want an Amer-English. Or add some Gawith Hoggarth's Kendal Dark for strength and spice. Good for beginners as well as a for those who want a sweet tooth fix as a change of pace.

Pipe Used: ardor

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (27)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I obtained a small sample of this as I am a huge fan of Gawith Hoggarth tobaccos. For me, the puch note of this tobacco is possibly the best I've ever experienced - it is sweet and old fashioned, and brings back memories of my grandad's pipe.

As with most GH tobaccos this blend did need a little drying out under a lamp for 5 minutes and I did find it a very slow started to get lit. On the upside, slow lighting tobaccos usually stay lit for the duration, and this one burned cool and sweet. The tobacco is very mellow and for me felt like a more refined version of the middle earth treebeard tobacco, and even had slight tones of Carter Hall, all without the additives and glycerine I can usually detect with the former two.

The taste is mellow and a very easy relaxing smoke. Flavour is slightly vanilla without being sickly. A very pleasant smoke which is never overpowering.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog