The first of our working mans series. Morning Drive time is a light English and Burley blend with a touch of Perique to start your day off RIGHT!

Blended ByChris Tarler and Keith T.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique
Packaging2 oz tin
Strength
Taste
3.7
Andy Stewart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andy Stewart (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I almost always smoke English blends like Dunhill MM965 and GL Pease Chelsea Morning but I wanted another, lighter tobacco to rotate in - preferably with a pleasant room note to appease The Blond Tyrant. You can't easily find Morning Drive Time (MDT) in the UK, but the very little online coverage of this tobacco intrigued and encouraged me, so I ordered some online and waited impatiently for the delivery from the US. This is my first 'proper' tobacco tasting, but I confess that I am wowed by this blend.

In the tin - I've never smelt anything like this before in a tin, and it's wonderful! Dark fruits - prunes and raisins - so full that I had to check the label to confirm that it's not an aromatic. The closest I can come is the aroma of a deep, heavy Jerez sherry I used to drink with friends in a small Spanish restaurant in Waterloo; it was incredibly good and was became known as 'alcoholic prune juice'. Rich and full with an incredible allure, but definitely for adults only. The loose ribbon cut tobacco is attractive; not moist, but not too dry.

In the pipe - MDT is supple and springy, which means that it packs well (even for this ham-fist) and it was easy to get a compact bowl. The false light was sweet on the tongue and the nose, while the true light gave me sweet, fruit, and a hint of alcohol-fresh at the back of the mouth.

Opening - As the pipe developed, the dark fruit lingered over a creamy base. It was actually tasty, with the promise of more to come. The smoke itself was light and the room note very pleasant - The Tyrant even commented on how much she liked it!

Middle - The tobacco continued to burn well and the tastes just kept on coming. The English characters came out to play, with a constant, smooth cream Burley supporting dark fruit and burnt caramel from the Latakia and occasional bursts of spice and ginger from the Perique that tingled the edge of my palette. I drank coffee with this pipe and it worked brilliantly, with MDT allowing the drink to clean my mouth rather than fighting and competing for dominance.

Close - I really didn't want this smoke to end but the Finale was superb. The base element got stronger, with a real biscuit taste. Meanwhile, the pockets of sweet, fruit, and spice blended to introduce what can only be described as Christmas cake. However, at no point did the smoke become heavy or overpowering; the whole bowl was clean, dry, and cool. There was no bite and the nic kick at the end was recognisable but discreet. As I cleaned the pipe, my mouth felt fresh and ready for more.

Technicals - The whole smoke lasted 50 minutes in a Dunhill Group 4, with minimal tamping and only 2 relights. The ash was iron-grey with pale/white flecks and the dottle was minimal. A key point to add here; the pipe I used for this always smokes hot and a little wet, but not with this tobacco. The bowl and the smoke remained cool throughout and there was no need to use the cleaner I had ready to swab out the airways.

I genuinely didn't know what to expect from Morning Drive TIme. I'd never tried Cornell & Diehls' products before and had limited knowledge of this blend. I have no doubt that other palettes will find gaps in this offering, but for me the balance, the tastes, the whole experience with MDT was sensational. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Pipe Used: Dunhill 4103 Bruyere Billiard

Age When Smoked: Less than 1 year

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (42)

As I have said in other reviews this Working Man's Series has changed my life. On a good day this is my mid-morning pipe tobacco. It has a gentle flavor and I really enjoy the taste and aroma in the mid-morning time. The good news is that when your run out of time and finish the pipe in the afternoon it has enough flavor to make the afternoon complete. Definitely try this tobacco a time or two. It is just pleasant with that nutty Burley and the other components just make it pleasant.

Pipe Used: Classic Digby Pot, BBB Yacht

Purchased From: Mars

Similar Blends: Maybe it reminds me of the old time burley blends without the nasty overtones..

gin0115 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gin0115 (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Well what can i say, i got a sample of the from Iain Walker of Northern Briars who picked it up for the Nottingham (UK) Pipe Club. had 3-4 bowls and its simply divine stuff. All of the flavours are there and well balanced. The Burley is tasted on the exhale/finish, the Latakia/English taste is wonderful and the hint of spice from the Perique just finishes it off.

A great way to start the day and i cant help but call this the Early Morning Drive Time (Done in a very poor morning radio presenters voice)

If you love a good mellow English then this is a must for you. As others have stated, this is one of the best C&D blends i have tried (around 30 of the 260 odd they produce)

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Absolutely the best way to start the day. A wonderful smoke to go with your coffee or tea. If 5 stars were an option that's what I'd rate it.

JustDanD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustDanD (9)

This is about the strongest (boldest?) blend of pipe tobacco that I really DO like. It pairs well with a thick cup of coffee in the morning. Its a Wake-up-and-GO smoke for me and it regularly sits as my morning smoke. That's significant because no other blend holds a timeslot like that for me.

The nose exhale (I do that alot) is easy though I don't do it as much as I do other blends. There is just a little "roughness" to the exhale that would prevent me from doing that all the time, but I do enjoy it with this. Others will describe the percentages of this and that tobacco and the nuances of flavors. To me, this is like a Pfeffer-steak with mushroom gravy (sorry Vegans). Every bite (puff) is bold, flavorful and you KNOW you have eaten when you are done. I tend to overpuff on pipes, especially in the morning as I rush to get to work, and this blend is VERY forgiving of that. No bite, no gurgle (at least for me). I feel that it sweetens up as the bowl gets lower but that may just be me getting used to it all over again.

She-who-is-terrific HATES this, and any bold blend, so it could never occupy the evening time-slot for smokes. Since I smoke it in the morning, it is off my clothes and out of my mustache by the time we are back together. This is truly my Morning Drive Time smoke. Excellent!

Pipe Used: various

The burleys are nutty, molasses sweet with a little toasty earthiness. The Cyprian latakia is smoky, woodsy, and lightly sweet, and its flavor is more mellow than I expected even though the blend only has a moderate amount of it. The perique is more plum, raisin and fig-like than it is spicy, and is a minor, but necessary component. A well balanced blend that allows you to always notice every nuance in virtually every puff. No harsh or dull spots to be found, burns cool and dry with no dottle. It's just over the threshold of being an all day smoke, but it's certainly repeatable through the day, and leaves a pleasing after taste. A nice change from heavier English mixtures or for those who aren't into lat-bombs. Three and a half stars, but not quite four.

plexibass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plexibass (5)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I dont know what the folks over at C&D do to set themselves so far above the bar with their blends, but I just hope that they keep doing it. I received a generous sample of this from pipe maker & repairer MARK STEWART over at http://www.pipecraft.org. 1st, visually this is a stunning looking tobacco. It looks like it tastes. It smells like it tastes and it tastes like heaven in a bowl! I'll steal this quote from MARK STEWART, but I don't think he will mind: "I have just had the pleasure of smoking 2 of C&D's new "Working Mans Series blends" and cannot overstate how terrific they are. Morning Drive Time is the perfect morning smoke with that initial cup of Coffee or Tea. Lunchtime blues is, without question, a great mid-day pick me up and is the perfect all day smoke. Although I am a great fan of their tobacco, they have really out performed themselves with these 2 blends. Morning Drive for breakfast, Lunchtime Blues for lunch and Crooked Lane for dinner. This is now my daily routine of smoking perfection."

WELL SAID MARK, AND ADVICE WE ALL NEED TO FOLLOW.