Fayyum presents itself as a near black blend comprising fire-cured Virginia and smoky Kentucky leaf, a generous measure of Syrian Latakia, and joined by Black Cavendish. Fayyum is rich and exquisitely balanced, likewise revealing distinct flavors. A true highlight for the connoisseur of a full-bodied natural English mixture !

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia
CutMixture
Packaging100gr. tin
Strength
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong
3.7
JimInks (2028)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a deeply rich, full bodied English, creamy and smooth from start to finish with a very consistent flavor. The Cyprian latakia is smokey, woody sweet, and boldly takes the lead without turning this blend into a latakia-bomb. The sugary black cavendish adds a mellow sweetness with no vanilla. The woody, dry Kentucky is slightly spicy, and plays back up with a hint of cocoa and nuts. The Virginia is naturally citrus sweet and earthy, setting the stage for the other ingredients. The cake itself is a little moist and breaks apart with ease. The nic-hit is medium. Won't bite. Not a harsh note to be found, it burns a little slow and smoother than your average English. It does leave a slight moisture in the bottom at the finish if you don't dry it just a little. Requires some relights. Has a pleasant after taste and stronger room note, both of which linger a little. Not an all day smoke, but if it hooks you, you'll repeat it.

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (19)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is obviously dominated by latakia, however not resulting in an "essential" taste, still leaving a campfire taste in the mouth the day after, but much, much more pleasing, which is obviously the dominating characteristic of this wonderful and smart balanced latakia blend.

In these days, regarding the manifold offerings of latakia blends, it is not easy to present something which would draw attention. Fayyum does it !

Probably it is the well chosen decent amount of Kentucky, the lack of Perique, and in particular the Black Cavendish, which might be the decisive factor in this composition. This results in a wonderful taste, rich in "body", but never overwhelming, and along with some "refinement" which I miss on many offerings seen previously. Fayyum appears to me as a true delight, if not even a highlight - 4 Stars !

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

With just about two thirds of Syrian Latakia in Fayyum, it is obviously a Latakia lovers delight, the remaining 35% is taken up by dark-fired Virginia, Kentucky and Black Cavendish. Now, the blender Hans Wiedeman does not use a lot of BC in his blends so in this case, he must have envisioned a slightly sweeter English than his other ones, and it works! This could just be the blend I have been looking for as I like a lot of Latakia and a touch of BC. A great addition to his already great line of Foundation by Musico high quality tobacco's.

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

After the Old Dark Fired from MB I've also tested the new Foundation tobacco Fayyum blended by Hu Tobacco. The Fayyum is a strong english mixture. A good portion of latakia mixed with a bit kentucky and firecured virginia and black cavendish. The recipe does not sound exciting, but the result is quite impressive. The Fayyum is a gorgeous blend paired an ethereal flavor with the richness of chocolate kentucky tobaccos. In addition cryptically always a slightly sour note to give the tobacco imparts freshness. Despite the high proportion of the Latakia is not dull or musty. On the contrary the Fayyum has something special in itself that I can not describe. This makes the Fayyum not only absolutely interesting but it also makes addicted.

4 stars from me, because it is an high class interpretation of the english tobacco direction.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I just finished smoking a bowl of this in my davorin morta. I am blown away. This is a pretty full Latakia blend, but it has great balance. It smokes very cool and carries a wonderful side stream.

I have been pleased with all the HU blends I have tried so far. This is one of the best lat blends I have tried, so I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: Davorin morta special edition 2013 bent tulip

Antihero Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Antihero (10)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Not much to add here. Wonderfully balanced full latakia blend, on the sweeter side due to the black cavendish. A little moister than other english, but that helps maintaining the taste and is no flaw regarding its smoking qualities: no gurgle and only (as mentioned by another reviewer) a wee bit of moisture on the ground of the bowl.

It definitely reminds me of Peterson's Old Dublin tastewise (syrian latakia + bc), but imo it's smoother and has a lesser tendency to bite. Also it's fuller, richer, there's more to "chew".

I have to disagree with one of the reviewers in terms of mustiness. Or maybe not and it is a mere linguistic problem (with English not being my mother tongue as you "may" have noticed... ;-). To my mind it IS musty and to no small amount. That sweet, delicate taste of decaying leaves with a hint of mud and more than a hint of thickfertile soil, lovely! This is exactly the taste that I seek in a latakia blend. So far I only have found it (to sufficient amount) in Dunhill's Nightcap, in the aforementioned Old Dublin and maybe (been a while) in My Mixture 965. Two of them contain cavendish (MM965 + OD), one doesn't, so I really don't know what exactly creates that taste.

Easily 4 stars.

P.S. To my fellow Germans: I urge you to give it a go WITHOUT a filter! ;-)

Purchased From: http://www.hu-tobacco.de

Similar Blends: Peterson's Old Dublin.

Sea Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sea Dog (13)
Mild None Detected Mild Strong

A most disappointing blend, Fayyum promised a lot but did not deliver. An extremely dark blend, it was fairly dry upon opening due to its tinning technique. The tin aroma was thus rather subdued because of this, revealing a faint latakia and cavendish aroma. I could not make out the Kentucky at all. As for the smoking it has provided me with nothing but sheer frustration. Frustration at trying to light it, frustration at trying to keep it lit, frustration at trying to make out any taste out of this concoction. The result after a half - dozen pipefuls was a memorable episode of tongue bite. I even tried to blend it with some golden leaf to help a proper combustion - without negatively impacting on its taste - but the attempt was unsuccessful. I do not lack patience but Fayyum is, under these conditions, just not worth the purchase.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (26)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Upon opening the tin note is sinuous and silky, smoky dried figs and prunes.

This has the aroma of the noble "old blends." The ribbons are medium length, dark to dark brown in color. The blend requires little drying.

Notes of toasted cereal, hardwoods, leather and cocoa. The Cyprian Latakia is exquisite. Not all Cyprian Latakia is the same, I'm discovering, and this material is top-shelf.

The bowl note is absolutely marvelous. I found myself often wafting the smoke from the bowl toward myself.

There is no harshness, no dryness, and no aftertaste. I could detect no chemicals or humectants of any kind, and the blend doesn't bite in the least.

Sipping this blend yields complex and delicate smoky, floral notes. I would recommend this as an all-day blend, as the intricacies of it show through particularly well in the morning before the day has dulled the tongue's senses.

Structurally speaking, this blend smokes well in all the pipes I've tried, with each format having the expected effects upon its flavor. Wide bowls pair well with the delicate qualities of the blend, while taller chimneys build upon its stout characters of body.

This is a Balkan blend par excellence!

Pipe Used: all shapes and sizes

Purchased From: from HU Tobacco

Similar Blends: it's a Balkan, but just incredibly high quality--much more so than the conventional commercially-available Balkans..

RS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RS (3)

In my very first review I say that FBM's (foundation by Musicò, blended by Hans Wiesemann) tobaccos are to my taste from good to excellent, were just for the matter that you realize they are made by selected tobaccos with no extra stuff added. They burn very well for a longer time than many other ones, and surprisingly do not leave back (bitter) taste when you are at the smoking end (I mean you're alerted in very good advance when you'd better stop). I was in doubt which ones I ought to choose, eventually I decided to get them all (ten): low shipping costs and above all, the possibility to compare them and see which ones I like more. Fayyum is one I like(d) much: it's "sharp", complex (subtle), mildly spiced, and a valuable approach to the FBM/Hans Wiesemann blending style. Contents: Black Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia

Pipe Used: Becker & Musicò, Charatan, Stanwell

Purchased From: HU-tobacco (Hans Wiesemann)