C&D pays tribute to the Old North State battle that led to victory in the Revolutionary War. Old Belt Red and Bright Va's are combined with a bit of Turkish then stoved, pressed and sliced into flakes.

Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Mochzky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mochzky (6)

Guilford Flake held me spellbound. Another epiphany. From the freshly opened tin, the nose delivers a sweet fruitcake, with its surface a bit dried, still moist inside the sponge. When the pipe is alight, nothing implies the fruitcake. Nothing asserts itself boldly. The bittersweet taste is modest and the woodsy note modest. This perfect match of “modest” is consistent to the last puff. The silky smokes give a subtle bittersweet taste as that of deeply roasted coffee beans, plus dry crisp smell of smouldering dead leaves in a distant autumnal garden as of some Kyoto temple, cool, misty, oriental and somewhat nostalgic. A mélange of a bit tangy kicks lingering on the palate and the slightly sweet woodsy smell of roasted oriental chestnuts somehow gives a soothing effect. This is more than a tobacco. It reminds me of something I miss in retrospect, in a distant past.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I like C and D blends as they only use water and can generally be smoked without a long drying period. This one I like to break up and spread in a bowl to let dry a few days but can be enjoyed right out of the tin.

This comes in loosely packed flakes in the tin and is a brown and khaki colored tobacco cut into a ribbon cut and then pressed. It has a wonderful sweet fruitcake aroma in the tin upon opening. I removed the flakes in my tin after letting it age 6 months, and broke it up and let dry for a few days then put it back in the tin. This made it perfect for smoking and an enjoyable smoke it is. This blend has no bite, has a nice sweetness on the tongue with a rich added flavor of the Orientals. It is simple but a pleasure to smoke. It burns down nice and dry with a fluffy light grey ash, and leaves little to no moisture in the bottom of the bowl. I like it and have another tin I will age for a few years as I think this blend would gain in sweetness with some aging. I think this a good blend that can be smoked as an all day blend providing the smoker a lot of pleasure. I do recommend it.

Pipe Used: briar, meer, cob

Age When Smoked: 6 mos.

Purchased From: C and D at the Richmond show.

Similar Blends: C and D Meridian.

Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Ah, Cornell & Diehl, Why am I so disappointed in so many of their blends? This is very "old School" , think Old Joe Krantz. Yes, this is sweeter, it doesn't bite, but it's just not interesting. It has that "maybe this has Burley" taste. No reason for me to buy again.

Updated 2014-4-23- I just reopened this tin that has been sitting in the cellar, it was totally moldy ( 5months). I don't know if it might have been moldy when I tried this 5 months ago. Take my review with a "grain of salt",

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

Strait forward tobacco a little differnt than most virgina flake but not great finshed the tin but probably wont buy it again