The very name conjures up a sublime experience. This is a unique blend of flavored black cavendish, pressed ribbon cut Virginia and Burley that is punctuated with rum and vanilla and a hint of caramel.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
FlavoringCaramel, Rum, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

2.6
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is grassy with a touch of citrus, though you barely notice it. The burley is nutty sweet, and is not quite as sublimated by the toppings as the Virginia is, but it's hardly in force. The black cavendish offers a light, smooth vanilla. The toppings certainly dominate the tobaccos: a sweet rum leads with vanilla underlying it. I hardly notice the caramel. Has little nicotine. May need a light dry time. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a consistent flavor. Won't bite, or get harsh. Requires a few relights. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and a slight clog at the finish. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. An all day smoke.

LoneStar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneStar (4)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

No thanks.

I purchased an oz/ in bulk to give this a shot, I've enjoyed rum topped tobaccos in the past so I thought, Why not?

The not on it is OK. It's nice, with a rum and maybe some vanilla there. BUT! The alcohol/chemical smell is quite present.

Moisture content was high, and on smoking I had a chemical taste left on my lips and in my mouth that was very bitter.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

I do enjoy the occasional blend with rum.I purchased this based on positive reviews I read elsewhere. First the positives. No gloppy mess, burns well, nice aroma. Unfortunately the negatives far out- way any positive ones. The thing that says it all is that after smoking some Sunset Rum I had two people tell me that I reeked of 'cheap tobacco'. I have to agree. Tastes of cheap tobacco, with a underlying bitterness that leaves a very unpleasant taste in my mouth afterwards. I'll look to give the remainder away or just use it for mulch. No Thanks!!

S8ntsfan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S8ntsfan (18)

Although I've enjoyed pipe smoking since the 70's, I would not call myself an expert, so I only give my fair, honest opinion of what I think of tobaccos. I have a HUGE cellar of tobaccos and every now and then I take something out to smoke that I either forgot I had, or for whatever reason just didn't want to smoke it. I picked this up about 3 years ago, and the notes I made say: "very, very moist out of the bag, aroma is nice, typical of Altadis tobacco. Very mild, with really decent flavor to it, would fit in my early morning rotation". So 3 years later it's still the same except instead of the bag it was shipped in, it's been in a mason jar. After packing a bowl, and lighting it, it ignited right away and for the most part stayed ignited throughout each bowl. The room note is really, really nice, kinda soothing. The first few puffs yielded a very nice flavor that was sweet, with just a little saltiness (probably the caramel casing) but nothing overwhelming. The Rum is apparent and just enough to balance out the caramel and vanilla. No bite, but I would definitely not smoke this too fast because of the moisture content, which I'm sure would then give it a bite. It does burn cool, but of course that depends on the smoker and the vessel. Very mild, and finishes pretty well on the palate all the way through each bowl I've enjoyed. When I review on TR, I try to make my reviews something the "newbie" or less experienced piper can gain something from. This is a tobacco I would recommend to them as they build up to more bodied tobaccos. Just enough flavorings to make it enjoyable, but not over the top like some Aromatics and it's an all day smoke. .

Pipe Used: Aldo Velani Duke, Ukrainian Pear Wood, MM Cob

Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Co. - Sunset Rum.

A coarse mixture, with equal parts brown to black, and is inclusive of too many twigs. The aroma from the pouch is potently aromatic, and it arrives way too damp.

The smoke: of the tobaccos, the vanilla black Cavendish gives a lot more than the others. Because the added flavours are heavy, the Burley and Virginia don't have the capability to gain much appreciation. There's no doubt that the topping dominates the smoke: it's very sweet, with notable alcoholic flavour. The burn from it's cool, and it doesn't bite me.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

A good aromatic, but not amazing. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Chacom

tritrek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tritrek (6)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I must say I haven't been smoking aromatics for the last 4 years as I was kind of clogged up with the German-type chemo-aromatics. This one, however, came to me as a sample from a friend, I decided to try. The tobacco is quite moist but you can light it up easily and burns all the way down without any extra work needed. Some say the tobacco used for this blend is rubbish but I would counter it, would say it might stand even on its own without any aroma added. Speaking of the aromas, the rum & vanilla flavouring is heavy but surprisingly pleasant! The taste stays till the last puff and doesn't go bitter. The caramel is not noticeable (to me) in raw state but I can definitely taste it when smoking as a milky-sweet background compliment. All in all, this is an aromatic that brought a stubborn natural tobacco smoker back to aromatics. Inexpensive it is but I wouldn't call it cheap.

LordHayDeeze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LordHayDeeze (2)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

If u are an aromatic smoker looking for something that has REAL TASTE, this is your blend. When I first started pipe smoking I was very underwhelmed at the taste of every Bland I tried I happened upon Sunset rum inside my local brick-and-mortar Tinder Box and it has been a staple in my tobacco cabinet since that day!!!

Pipe Used: Paronelli