Based on over 200 years of experience, this mixture of Virginia, Burley, Kentucky and Oriental tobacos has been developed. This typically dutch, slow-burning blend owes its well-balanced taste to a unique Cavendish process.

BrandAmphora
Manufactured ByDouwe Egberts
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50g Pouch
CountryNL
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.5
Flinthills Tex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flinthills Tex (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was visiting relatives in the city of Brandenburg, Germany, and had run out of tobacco. I found a tobacconist's shop and ducked in. They had a standard assortment of aromatics and English blends, typical for a respectable tobacconist, though certainly not exclusive. I am adventurous and like to try something new from time to time, so I saw this and asked the clerk about it. She stated that this brand was the only pipe tobacco available in former communist East Germany. Tobacco has traditionally been a cash crop in the area around Mühlhausen for several hundred years, and the collective farms were certain to use home grown tobacco rather than imports for their products. After German re- unification in 1990, Reemtsma Tobacco bought up most of the brands of the former East German tobacco cooperative. Although western brands swamped the market, the former East German brands of tobacco products still have a faithful following, which prompted Reemtsma to continue to produce and market these regionally. This included Prestige Regular Pipe Tobacco. Reemtsma is now a part of the Imperial Tobacco Group. So much for the history. Now to my review.

This tobacco is, as is mentioned above, a traditional "Dutch" blend, meaning that it is not as heavily flavored as the Danish aromatics. There is no mention of the flavoring on the package, though I would agree with "The German" that there is a slight citrus note detected. Otherwise, I think that the scent from the pouch is more of natural tobacco, with the Kentucky and Orientals dominating. It is ribbon cut and light to medium brown in color. The moisture content is just right. The coarse ribbon cut makes packing your bowl somewhat difficult, so I would recommend smoking this in a pipe with a wide bore bowl.

Once packed, a regular charring light followed by a second light gets this smoke going. The taste is aromatic, ranging from a slight sweetness (probably from the Virginias) through a mild nuttiness (Burley) to a smokey pungency (Kentucky and Oriental) that I find a nice change from many heavily flavoured mixtures. The room note is pleasant and slightly sweet. I did not have any problems with tongue bite or wet dottles. Quite the contrary, this tobacco smokes cool and mild, right to the bottom of the bowl, leaving only a fine ash to tap out.

My overall recommendation: Not an exquisite luxury blend, but then it never purports such. Prestige Regular is a mild and pleasant everyday smoke, especially on a warm summer's day. It has enough complexity to keep you interested, but not so much as to require all of your attention. I think I'll add this to my regular rotation.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

Bought purely out of a sense of adventure; I partially regret having done that.

Long story short: mixed ribbons and ready-rubbed, almost uniform medium brown. Pouch aroma is of oranges and something else--cocoa? Not sure. Stuffs, lights well, leaves some dottle even if smoked carefully, but not too much.

The room note is, in a word, non-distinct, but probably on the worse side of tolerable for most; to me, it is a little stuffy, if you know what I mean. Taste is sweet for the most part, with some orange actually being in there. For me, there is a sort of citrus-caramel aftertaste that lasts for a while.

Not something I am going to buy again, but not bad enough to throw away the pouch either. The blend, overall, comes over a bit like Clan with a citrus sauce instead of the topping.