PipesAndCigars

Vermont Meat Candy combines two great flavors - maple and bacon. We start with a Cavendish that's been given a deep, sweet maple flavor and then we added dark Burley that's been fire-cured with hickory wood, which delivers the flavor and aroma of hardwood-smoked bacon. Just think about those Sunday mornings when you'd dip your bacon into the syrup from your pancakes and fell in love with the sweet, smoky and salty flavor. Now you can have that flavor without the calories or cholesterol!

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
FlavoringMaple, Other / Misc
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste

Now this is an interesting one! Mostly medium brown with slight specks of dark, and a tin nose that delivers on its promise of maple and something sorta like bacon - a smokiness that's not latakia. This feels overly moist in the bag but I did not need to dry it out. It smoked very dry, and I don't just mean the moisture in the pipe but also the taste was dry. Very different and enticing. Reminded me of Boswell's version of 1-Q in the "dry on the tongue" feeling.

The taste was typical American cavendish with a very noticeable hint of maple. Strong maple on the room note. The taste also had the unmistakeable hint of smokiness that one would get from bacon. Not an actual bacon taste but fairly close. I'll be durned if this didn't bring up the experience of eating pancakes and bacon and having the syrup collide with the pig! A hint of saltiness with the hint of smoke and the sweetness, just as Russ promises.

Ok, this isn't something I'll smoke a lot of, but it's an excellent take on the traditional American-style cavendish-driven aromatic. I believe I'll pick up a few oz from time to time and I thank the internet buddy that sent me this sample. Interesting stuff and fun to smoke.

I'm not sure why I added this to an order, but it was interesting to try. I have to say, I detected none of the 'meat' (i.e. hickory) in this. The maple was certainly detectable however, but it was not overwhelming or really all that sweet. In that respect, a nicely balanced blend. The cavendish burned a bit too hot for my preferences, but not too much so. Overall, a decent aromatic for this non-aro smoker.

Pipe Used: briars

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

StageCarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StageCarp (4)

Noticed that this is currently back ordered (Memorial Day weekend 2014) at Pipes &Cigars. Disappointing, because I need more and am reduced to rationing what little I've left of it! The "Meat" in the name may be off-putting to some.... fear not! It's delish. A better name might have been "Smokehouse Maple"... but wouldn't perhaps be as catchy.... This blend captures for me the essence of a Mapley-Hickoryish glaze.... not too sweet, but not bitter.... one sec...... smoking some now...... wow. Yep... these flavors just dance together here! I don't perceive any of the "chemical" flavors some other reviewers write about... my sample is full, rich,and to me a great balance of sweet and savory.... Seems that perhaps as has been mentioned, some reviewers got a different off- batch??? I see myself reaching for this often, when not wanting candy tobacco, and not being able to face a heavy English.... could Hickory cured Burley be my new Latakia? ... perhaps!. (This is a maple aromatic, yet the hickory smoked flavors come from the fire cured. Rather a semi-aromatic to me along the lines of a mapley Frog Morton, with fire-cured standing in for Latakia) Try a sample of this... I think many will be sold... and I need more folks to order it to keep it always available! Top notch stuff, and an imaginative blend.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat cob

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)
Mild Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Vermont Meat Candy was a let down for me. After all the hype about this blend I expected more. I did have a lot of flavor to it but more a chemical taste than anything. Tobacco burned far to hot, lead to tongue bite and fowled up my pipe with a chemical ghost. Overall, I was very disappointed with Vermont Meat Candy.

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Mild Strong Medium Tolerable

Once again disappointed. I was very excited for this blend to arrive. Out of the tin it smelt kind of weird. A bit like overly used casing. The strength was okay, and the room note was okay.

The taste however was there, but it was not good. They tried way to hard to make this blend pop, and made nothing but a tongue biting, foul tasting let down.

I may have gotten carried away, but it's all opinions, and I hope this helps somebody.

Pipe Used: Peterson System (Bent), Nording Poker, H.I.S

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

misterzombie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
misterzombie (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I absolutely love this blend. It has this delicious maple drizzled bacon flavor. It is sweet and a little smokey which makes you crave for breakfast! Well rounded, no bite, and burns to a nice white ash. I'm using this blend to break in my new pipe because hey, a little bacon flavor to anything makes it taste that much better!

Haroldt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haroldt (4)

I would rank this up there with Lane's RLP #6, in that it smokes well, smells great and taste great all the way to the end. Many aro's start out with flavor and then peter out. The Vermont Meat Candy delivers a sweet flavor to the end.

Purchased From: Pipe and Cigar

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (9)

I have finally found an aromatic I like. This stuff is great. The maple flavor and the hickory smoke blends great with the tobaccos. They aren't overly sweet and it has great smokiness to it, not in a latakia way, but in a smoked meat way. The flavors are simple, yet complex in the way they play off of each other. This will be a great tobacco for weekend mornings. I am looking forward to this with a cup of strong coffee before a day in the woods.