Re-release of GL Pease's renowned "Tribute" blend that was produced as fund raiser for the survivors of 9/11. A blend of red, bright and stoved red virginias with a dash of perique and toasted cavendish

Blended ByGregory Pease
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.2
Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (24)

Opening a 1 1/2 year old tin of Cornell & Diehl's First Responders revealed coarse cut ribbons that were dominated with hues of brown with slivers of yellow, black, and blue. It was a little dry to the touch, but I like my tobacco a little dry, and it had the initial odor of dark chocolate. As I really got my nose into the tin a more smoked chocolate smell came through. If I could eat a brownie that smelled like this closer tin aroma, I would be a happy man.

An unlit sip consistently brought a sweet taste to my lips, but the initial light seemed to be inconsistent based on pipe/packing method. At times it was sweet, and at times it was spicy hot. Neither was bad. Overall it was a good dark and toasty smoke, with spiciness and sweetness vying for my attention. The best smoke I had with this was in a an old Jobey billiard that I typically just smoke when it's handy. This old billiard had me paying attention to it for the first time in years thanks to this tobacco. In this pipe there was an oily feel to the smoke, like some of my favorite maduro cigars. The finish was pretty unnoticeable to me for the most part, except in the Jobey where the oiliness lingered. I was told that the room note was very pleasant and it was described as a spicy tastiness.

First Responders grew on me over the course of smoking it. At first I didn't expect much and didn't get much, but as I tried it in more pipes and found one that it would sing it, it very much earned my appreciation. I think anyone who enjoys a spicy and sweet combination in a medium strength blend would enjoy this very much. I know I will be buying more, if nothing else to give my old Jobey something to do besides take up rack room.

Looks like Tribute in the tin and smells like it as well. Same notes of dark chocolate but a bit less musty. Same mottled appearance and same wide choppy ribbon.

Taste-wise, it's clear to me that this is a fresh example of GLP Tribute. The blend has the same flavor characteristics of dark and toasty virginias with a touch of perique spice. But the flavor is a little rougher, a little less mature, as if the flavors simply haven't melded quite yet. Then again, it's youthful vigor might be just what some smokers want. It certainly appears to me to be the same recipe. I plan to age my other tin of this and see. But if you've missed out on Tribute, fear not. This one should fill the void quite nicely. It just needs a bit of seasoning in your cellar. Give it 6-12 months and enjoy.

This blend is based on Tribute, but there are differences. The Virginias here are a little sweeter and a little stronger, offering much fewer grass notes and more earth, and tanginess. The red Virginias are more prominent here, and used to good advantage. It's light on the citrus, which Tribute had a little more of. I get a hint of chocolate and dried fruit, which must come the stoved Va. The cavendish seems slightly honey-ish, and is a minor player. The perique sports very light spice and plum note. Well balanced, burns well and leaves little moisture.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)

I'm really loving this blend. Looks and smells great in the tin and smokes like a dream. I love Vapers so this was a nobrainer to buy. I'm pretty sure this is GL peases tribute but renamed. It pretty much says so on the tin description right on the side.

I have never had a unenjoyable bowl with this. Different, yes, unenjoyable, no. This tobacco seems to react differently depending on pipe/bowl shape and packing method. Sometimes you get more sweet than peppery and other times it will be the opposite. I really really enjoy this blend. I find I don't have to work hard to smoke it. Its just pleasent and satisfying. I would highly reccomend to any VaPer lovers.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

I wanted to like this blend as I like the name and the people it is honoring. But, personally I find it rather harsh and without any real feature that makes it enjoyable. Quite honestly it is just smoke. In the tin it is a rough cut in a mix of different colors of brown from light to very dark. It has a tin note to me somewhat earthy with a touch of sweetness and spice to the aroma. It is on the dry side which a lot of C and D blends are and to which I prefer. It does load quite easily into the pipe and is also very easy to get lit. It must be puffed rather often to keep the pipe lit. It does smoke dry and all the way to the bottom of the pipe. Problem is, it just does not have any sweetness to the smoke on the palette and it burns on the hot side. If smoked fast it will fry your tongue, smoked soft it is still rather hot and it has a harshness I just don't like. I just don't find it to be one of their better blends. The room note is nothing special, it has a pipe tobacco aroma but not one that anyone would approach you and say it smells good. On the other hand no one will tell you it stinks either. Because it smokes rather hot and harsh, it would not make a good all day blend. I would get tired of it quickly if I were to try as it does not have all that much taste to it. So I really cannot give this blend a high rating compared to one of the great blends by C and D I have smoked. On the other hand I have smoked worse so I am not giving it the bottom rating either. It is not a blend I would buy again. I have tried it fresh, aged for several weeks and now aged for 9 months without it improving any.