Mixture with natural sweetness: Virginias, black cavendish and burley rounded off with some Orient tobaccos. The characteristic aroma stems from original Irish single malt whiskey which was stored a long time in sherry barrels.

BrandHolger Danske
Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
1.7
Coosa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coosa (2)

I'm not lover of aromatic tobaccos and this mixture was recommended to me when I was beginning so I gave it a try. This mixture has very sweet aroma which filled the room immediately after opening the package. In this mixture you could find all shades of brown from very light pieces of Virginia to black Cavendish. Due to moisture of the Cavendish I had to give it a few moments to dry a little bit. Even though I was a beginner and the pipe I used was new, the smoke was surprisingly fine - almost no bitterness. Sometimes there happened to be more condensate and a little overheating but this could be due to the new pipe and maybe also my newbie hurrying :-) The flavor was sweet and didn't develop much. Good point is that it didn't turn bad in the end as you can sometimes experience with aromatic tobaccos especially in new pipes. The aroma in the room is nice and sweet.

Nowdays I probably wouldn't be interested in such mixture but back then it wasn't bad.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I tasted mostly sweetened black cavendish and Burley as I smoked this one. The whiskey flavor was there, but offered with a light touch. I know Virginia was in the blend and I could see it, too... I just never tasted it as the flavoring and Burley stated at the front of the pack. Unfortunately, I was not a fan of this one.

Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Holger Dansk - Sherry and Whiskey.

Note: a rewrite of an early review that needed redoing.

The blend smells quite well cased, and isn't like a lot of aromatics where the constituents are 99% black Cavendish. It contains an equal amount of each leaf. The pouch has a little bit of room surrounding the tobacco so its not had all the moisture squeezed in.

The smoke: lights easy enough, and although it contains what could result in a harsh aromatic, it isn't too piquant. The sweetness from the black Cavendish assuages the harshness from the alcohol. To me the sherry has been added with a lighter hand than the whiskey. The Oriental, and Virginia are both notable but not with as much ease as the Cavendish and Burley. A low note? Tongue bite.

Nicotine: mild to medium. Room-note: not my favourite.

Holger Dansk Sherry and Whiskey? A two star blend: