Erik Peter, his Father, was a larger than life person, full of energy and passion for his craft. His favorite tobacco was navy flake, and this full-bodied smoke is a perfect example of his passion. It strikes a natural balance in the distinct characteristics of superior Burleys and mature Virginias by using a small measure of Black Cavendish to please true flake lovers. The 1931 flake is primarily U.S. Burley, U.S. Mature Virginias and a little bit of Black Cavendish.
It’s an all-natural blend that offers a dry, natural smoke without additives in terms of flavoring.

BrandErik Stokkebye

3.2
puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (69)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Apparently my resistance to the latest new tobacco is non-existent so here are my thoughts on 4th Gen. 1931.

Over the years most Navy Flakes have left me disappointed but I keep trying them. Upon opening this tin you will be greeted with two stacks of light to medium colored flakes perfectly sliced.There is absolutely a clover honey aroma somewhat stronger than MacB's Navy Flake, this is not off putting as the smell is quite pleasing. Fold, stuff and twist and it takes to the match easily. The honey (or whatever it is) does not interfere with the taste and provides only a faint sweetness throughout the bowl. Unlike other Navy Flakes where I find myself puffing too hard just to get some taste, 1931 consistently provides flavor even with a gentle puff.

This tobacco has surprised me and if the entire 100grams continues to hold my attention I will cellar a few tins and probably give it another star.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (29)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A superbly crafted navy flake. Slow burning, satisfying, with no trace of harshness.

I was expecting this to be a variation of Mac Baren Navy Flake. Indeed they look similar, but 1931 is considerably richer, rounder, and deeper in flavour. This flake is unique. I give it full marks.

The tin aroma of honey is pronounced and made my mouth water. The first puffs suggested the bouquet and strength of a very fine cigar. However the large measure of Virginia tobacco contributes to an overall sweet and mellow character.

The honey is not detectable in the burning aroma. Perhaps it helps to smooth the rough edges of the stronger components. There's absolutely no harshness or sting when the smoke is blown through the nose. Just the deep rich aroma of fine pipe tobacco.

Using the fold and stuff method with a loose pack, a medium bowl (not quite two flakes) of 1931 smouldered away for over two hours. The tobacco burns well without the need for relights. And there was no need to dry the flakes prior to smoking.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)

Here we have a nice looking Virginia-Burley flake. Gently rubs, packs, and burns easy. No Va tang to me but solid, natural flavor IMO.

I had tried about an ounce sample in a thin plastic pouch given out earlier in October, 2012. However, the flavor seemed to dry out quickly. The tin preserves the freshness better.

Smells like a slight top note in the tin but I personally don't taste any added flavors while puffing. (Could there be some residual from Navy Flake or Mixture Flake processing? Don't know.) At most it tastes to me like a traditional English flake, or biscuit like. Not sweet like the other two. Whatever essence may be there in the toasted cavendish is in a word, slight.

Mild and cool enough to me, yet tasty. Someone who is not use to or fond of burley may rank it stronger.

Tastes kinda like a lighter version of Aged Burley Flake, so if you cotton to that one but find it too strong, this may be a substitute. ABF has all burley, including Kentucky. This one has much less burley. But it has more burley and some darker Virginia than Long Golden Flake. I'm sure this one is not by the same blender as those two, and is neither as strong as ABF nor as sweet as LGF. Maybe in-between, and good.

Sure, give it a try. Mostly on the natural flake side of the house.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I anxiously awaited the arrival of this new offering and chose it above the other three offered in this series as I am a flake fancier. First let's start with appearances - from the outside in. The 100gm tin is identical in construction to Mac Baren's 100gm Navy Flake, Mixture Flake, etc., minus the lid labeling. The underside sticker on label is printed in similar type to those of Mac Baren's as well. Upon opening the lid, the flakes are arranged in two neat rows and wrapped in the familiar Mac Baren gold wrapping (minus the Mac Baren embossed logo). You can see where I'm going with this. The initial tin aroma revealed a very, very slight sweetness of what I would say was honey and with deep sniffing I noticed an evanescent note of chocolate - ever so slight. I read where Eric Stokkebye says there are no additive flavoring to this flake, but to me, it does not have the smell of pure tobacco only.

The flakes were of the consistency of Mac's Navy Flake/Mixture Flake in thickness and its ease in breaking apart on folding; very unlike the rubberiness of Peterson's Irish Flake for comparison. My inaugural smoke was in a Dunhill Cumberland bent billiard. I didn't dry the flake out at all as I was anxious to smoke it right after popping the lid. It took to the match quite easily and required perhaps two or three relights throughout. As with Navy Flake I did perceive a honey/sweet taste but different (more) than with NF. There was no tongue bite per se. Nothing more than the occasional nip I experience with Navy or Mixture when smoked fresh. Since I find similarities to the two referenced Mac Flakes, I would have to say that strength wise, 1931 is equal to NF in terms of body, but the flavor is stronger (honey) than with NF, and for that reason is a bit too much in my opinion. Like the other flakes, it smoked clean and dry leaving a light gray ash when all was said and done. The entire smoke was of honey first, tobacco second. 1931 seems to be more Virginia forward and Mac's NF more Burley forward. I suspect that with some time drying in the tin the rich tobacco flavors will become even more pronounced as I find with Navy and Mixture. There is enough nicotine presence to satisfy those who want that in a smoke as well.

I would be very surprised if this was NOT produced by Mac Baren since it has all of the fine smoking characteristics of many of their products. I have no problem with that as Mac is one of my favorite blending houses. However, at $4-$5 more per tin than Mac's Navy Flake and Mixture Flake, NF and MF are better bargains, and of the three I prefer NF overall. Where MF lacks in the taste department and 1931 is over the top with honey, NF seems to have the right balance. All in all, my hat is off to Eric Stokkebye and I wish him every success with his new line of tobaccos. Recommended with 3 stars.

HorkyBamf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HorkyBamf (11)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Right up front, you should know that burley is not my thing. I find it's often kind of harsh and cigarette-like to my taste buds. Normally I wouldn't have bothered trying this, but Smokingpipes.com sent a sample with my last order so I figured, why not? You know what? It's actually pretty good! If you like burley, you'd probably say it's great. I smoked it in a corncob pipe because a lot of people seem to think burley sings in a cob and I wanted to give it a chance. I've never gotten the hang of smoking flakes so I rubbed it out. The first half of the bowl is pretty enjoyable. Simple, plain tobacco flavor with just a hint of sweetness. Not complex but not boring either. Then that bitter burley-ness starts building stronger and harsher, and I can't smoke the last third. Again, if you like burley you'll probably love this. I generally don't like burley, and I still got some enjoyment out of it. I feel a little bad about giving it 2 stars because it's obviously quality tobacco.

----

I'm upgrading this to 3 stars because every time I smoke it, I like it a little bit more. Smoked slowly and in a smaller pipe, that bitterness I mentioned doesn't build up to an intolerable level. I've only got about a pipeful left now and I think I'll be a little disappointed when it's gone.

Pipe Used: cob

Nicely prepared flakes typical of Stokkebye with an ideal moisture content from the tin that permits easy packing just by folding. Smoked dry and cool without any bite. Burned evenly without the need for relights. However, as compared to Stokkebye's available bulk flakes, I don't see the comparative value of this tinned blend.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a "flake" person so when I spotted this tin I had to give it a whirl. This is a bolder navy flake than I have ever tried. Trying to place it in the floral strength panel. I would say it is between GH's Ennerdale and Rum Flakes. It is fuller than both but the notes that you taste and smell are similar. The pretty little flakes twist easily into presentable pieces to go in my small flake pipes. This is a pleasant tobacco for morning or afternoon.

Dragonslayer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dragonslayer (4)

The 4th Generation line release has a variety of blends. I received the 1931 Eric Peter's Blend, some of the others seemed more appealing to me, but a gift is a gift. This also lets me see what's new out the gates. Well they are perfect cut flake, with a marbling of tans cross in waves. I cut it into small cubes to get a tin note, as it came in a plastic sample bag. The aromatic stood out, other than some hay from the burley the Virginia was absent. A dry flake it just needed a few minutes to be ready for the bowl.

Char lite let go some aromatic fruitiness maybe even some honey it's hard to tell as the Cavendish quickly burned. The true lite had the VA stands up right away, the burley providing a bit of hay back ground. This burns hot so sipping is a must. By the half bowl the burley had taken over and it stays there. It smokes slowly and you get a hint of sweetness appear every once in a while from a basic good tasting classic burly. The bowl remained consistent through to the end with no relights to a salt and pepper ash.

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (9)

This tobacco looks and smells great in the tin but the taste is mostly of fermented burly, it is pungent like perique, no Virginia sweetness or tang.

Update:

After finishing the tin, I realized that my description of the tobacco was not accurate, the pipe that I smoked this tobacco in must have been dirty. Anyways, the smell of this tobacco in the tin is identical to Mac Bren navy flake, the taste and the quality of the smoke is similar to pre-1995 Dunhill light flake. It is in my opinion one of the best if not the best tobacco available today.

grimpeur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
grimpeur (45)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening a tin of this new flake, I was immediately aware of the aroma of clover honey. A non-smoking workmate of mine concurred. Applying match to bowl, again, the taste is tobacco and honey. As the bowl burned down, the tobacco taste stayed at the same level, the taste of honey receded somewhat. I found the nicotine level to be noticeably lower than the Bullseye Flake I have been smoking over the last two weeks.

Made by Mac Baren, I consider this to be like their Navy Flake with the Virginia component strengthened. An enjoyable high quality flake, I recommend it if the description sounds appealing, but I don't think it's worth paying much of a premium price over the Mac Baren's Navy or Mixture flakes.