Hyde Park is a traditional English blend of bright and dark fired Virginias, sun cured Indian and Burleys tobaccos. This luxurious smoking experience is achieved by the addition of rum and maple sugars to pressed mahogany tobacco

BrandPeterson
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Packaging50 gram tin
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste

CriolloCorojo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CriolloCorojo (18)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

OK, I finally had to write a review of this exquisite blend. I currently have a dozen tins of various types of blends (not including duplicates that are unopened and/or aging) and about fifteen other blends in stock. Hyde Park is in my top three of all those blends and in my top five of all time. The tin smell is magnificent with maple/honey and biscuit notes. There is also a little distant fresh soapy scent that comes through. Smoking it, however, is when the real greatness makes itself known. I am a long time smoker, and love cigars about as much as pipes. My favorite cigars mainly being those that Don Pepin Garcia had a hand in blending. There is a certain level of pepperiness to his blends. There is a similar peppery profile that makes its way in Hyde Park. There is absolutely no tongue bite. I think that some novice smokers to these types of blends may be mistaking the pepper quality for tongue bite. It is possible that they are sipping too hard, or some cases have not built up to pipe smoking in such a fashion as to where enjoying such a blend as Hyde Park is possible. I also believe that some smokers cannot handle the nicotine level. While it is not full strength, it does flirt right at the line between medium and full.

Alas, I do digress. The main flavor that makes this blend so great is the sweet, Golden Grahams-like goodness that marries with the perfect tobacco flavors in this blend. It is smoky, sweet and still much more complex than a typical aromatic. I only say aromatic because this blend does have a very agreeable room note. Smoking this blend around others leads to a positive olfaction experience to those in its presence – at least according to those individuals who have complemented on its contribution to a pleasing environment. This has been made known to me on multiple occasions from a plethora of individuals. This may be the only blend that seems to be as enjoyable to the smoker as it is to non-smokers in the space/room. In both cases, it is very pleasant. I hope that Peterson and/or the blender never to anything to change this blend. It is as perfect as it gets. I usually enjoy strong flakes or Latakia-heavy English blends. This one is neither, although the tobaccos appear to be of flake origin and are tinned after being broken and slightly rubbed out. This would be one of the only blends I would give five stars if that was an option.

I want to add that when smoking my last bowl, I was on my deck outside where it was 48 degrees Fahrenheit. I rested the bowl on a chair, headed back inside to do a few things. I left the bowl out there for just shy of five minutes. When I came back outside, I only needed to draw a couple of times, pack it down a little with my tamper, and it was blazing at a more than adequate level again with no need to relight. After a few more sips, it was prime again. It smokes great all the way down until it is just a ubiquitous mass of light-grey ashes. I usually don't know that it is almost all ash until it is just ash. It tastes great the whole way. What a wonderful smoking experience all the way around.

I have dedicated a pipe to this blend. It is a Peterson Shannon with a smaller bowl. I suggest that you also consider dedicating a pipe to this blend if it floats your fancy. Try allowing the cake in that bowl to be built exclusively by Hyde Park. I have another pipe, an old Bonnie Brier, that I used to utilize for smoking this blend. While I do still use that briar for Hyde Park from time to time, I mainly smoke it in the Shannon. It still smokes great when I do use the old Bonnie Brier "Highlands" to enjoy this blend from time to time.

Elm0 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elm0 (5)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Purchased my first tin of this when it was a highly rated 4 star tobacco ,since then i have watched a handful of reviews drop it's position to 3 stars

How anyone can give this tobacco 1 star is beyond me it has replaced some of my favorites time & time again i find myself wake up in the middle of the night craving a bowl of this, it is sweet sometimes peppery never bites the tongue & has just the right amount of nic ,i find myself going into a dreamy state of contemplation with nearly ever bowl of this

It is the only non flake tobacco i smoke, my other regular tobacco's are irish flake, university flake, 1792, st james, Best brown, FVF, Firedance but to name a few in my rotation but my excitement grows every time i open the tin with this one

I have trusted this website for a lot of the choices i have made in trying new tobacco's & felt i had to defend this great smoke to new smokers or old smokers wanting to try something new ,i know everyone has different taste buds i personally think dunhill flake tasted like old socks but is highly rated ,but to all out there give it a try love it or hate it make your OWN mind up

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (50)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Hyde Park = HYPE Park, and I'm kicking myself for not paying attention to the ingredients, rather than focusing on the PR. What's so English about this blend besides its place of manufacture. Packaging is excellent, but the product is way too green-or maybe that's just my fantasy (as I bought 5 tins of this in June).

I state it extremely mild-from a taste perspective, but really that's because we don't have the option of "Extremely Harsh" from which to chose:(

As a 4 star admirer of all things G&H, this has no indication of any of that stellar brands' characteristics-plastic baggies are available world-wide.

It's solely on Peterson for this feeble attempt at mixing C Choice maple flavoring with immature Virginias and excessively strong Burleys. "Luxurious smoking experience..." In a pig's eye!

My only option-besides deep-sixing the entire lot, is to hope that my Lord & Saviour doesn't rapture me outta here before I can give this stuff 5 years to age- and then even that might not salvage this otherwise Epic Fail. Here's to being around many years from now for an update. Not recommended in any way, shape, or form!!!

Current Rotation: G&H Top Black Cherry, FMOTT, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls, Esoterica Penzance

jenskth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jenskth (3)
Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought this on the basis of the recommendations on here, as I was looking for another all-day non-latakia blend (I love my latakias, but enjoy some variety).

Opening the tin, the smell is fantastic; sweet, but not overly so and fragrant in a slightly flowery, plumlike fashion. It needed a little drying for me but some might take it as it comes.

Sadly, this just didn't work for me. The flavour was just not there at all for me and came across as extremely flat. I was expecting deeper, round notes but found none.

Contrary to what everyone else has said, I find this blend unbelievably harsh. I've had quite a few others, but this one is, to me, bitey like an old, mean bitey thing.

OakInOslo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OakInOslo (1)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was curious when I found this tin at my local tobacco store and decided to give it a try, unfortunately. The smell is ok, but that`s it. The tobacco is stored in a plastic bag for some reason, but I won`t hold that against it. There`s good flavours here for sure, but they are overshadowed by a harsh, fume-like smoke. It`s not a tongue bite, but a thin and gas-like sensation that is all but nice. I`ve tried smoking it in three different pipes, but nothing can help this tobacco in my opinion.

Pipe Used: Chimney, bent apple

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Have Peterson started packing their tobacco in plastic bags now instead of the crimped paper/card deal?

Hyde park come in a plastic bag and is quite moist, so needed 10 mins drying time. Its a ribbon cut with a few busted flakes here and there.

Aroma before lighting smelt just like Christmas cake to me. Definitely an aro then.

Upon lighting and a few slow draws, I was instantly reminded of Rum Flake by Gawith & Hogworts. It was a kind of watered down ready rubbed version of the a fore mentioned flake (of which happens to be one of my favorites).

I did try and sniff out the nuances, and thought for a nano second on a couple of occasions that there was a hint of latakia (?) There was zero bite, but I did find that the stuff burns quite hot even with slow smoking.

It was pleasant enough, and vaguely more complex than most aro's I've tried, but if I want something similar again, I'll stick to Rum Flake which is richer and sweeter. Hyde park really is to me, a weaker ready rubbed version of Rum Flake.

(Connoisseurs choice remains my aromatic of choice when required)

However YMMV....

2.5 out of 4

Pipe Used: No name basket

Purchased From: Jobans Newsagents

Similar Blends: Rum Flake.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not what I expected. Not to belabor the point of it being called an english amidst most conventional understanding of that term, I was most expecting an Irish Whiskey type backdrop with the flavoring of the rum and maple as that was the topping indicated on the tin.

I was highly surprised to get blasted with Lakeland scents. It now makes sense that this would be made by GW as the plastic bag did throw me. It is not what one would suspect when opening a round tin from Peterson. I bought the tin last November as is customary for me to do at Ash tobacco in Gaylord for the opener of the Whitetail firearm season. They always have something new there, its a great shop.

The surprise taste left me disenfranchised at first and I don't think I smoked any more of it til later when I returned home. I really don't get anything mape in this at all. My only experience with maple before was C & D's Autumn Evening where I found it too heavy. This is not like that at all. I also don't really taste the rum. It is pretty much a lakeland. If you don't like that type of thing don't buy it.

Based on all of this, you may think I didn't like it. Well, five months later it started tasting pretty good to me. Granted I did not enjoy it as much as GW Best Brown #2, which leads me to believe this might be too heavy in lakeland as the aforementioned is quite light. Nor did I enjoy it as much as Irish Whiskey as that has a little more of a burley taste that I enjoy.

I will add that the plastic bag, albeit crude and inelegant in comparison to other Pete offerings did a fine job as over 8 months I never needed to transfer this to a jar and the leaf never got crunchy.

In terms of smoking properties, it burns well and cool and provides a pretty good hit of the nic. It can be a bit monotone, but overall it is a good tone. It will definitely ghost a pipe, so if you have some to spare, dedicate. Also, this can be smoked all day without a problem, I just did so at a golf outing yesterday and I enjoyed that so much, I finished off the last bowl on the way to work this morning.

Overall recommended to those who enjoy Lakeland aromas on Peterson Kentucky, Va base.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice looking sand colored broken flake with an inner baggie, a la G&H. Tin scent is reminiscent of G&H as well, with a malty, tobacco-y base and a slightly soapy undertone (no florals). I'm not sure if this is blended by G&H, as per the rumors I've heard, but it does share some characteristics. It's kind of a heavier Rum Flake but the flavor of this one is much cleaner and more focused. The rum and maple sugar taste is very much in the background on this one and the aroma of same even more so. That kind of maltiness lasts down the bowl. It's been years since I've smoked Sam Gawith's Kendal Creme Flake but this one reminded me of that. I should try that one again.

The nicotine in this one is very sneaky. At first I was careful but noticed no issues, then I got caught up in the robust but slightly sweet flavor and let my guard down. The nic hit reminded me to pay attention. Overall, my experience with this one was very positive. It's far from the best "Lakeland" blend I've ever smoked, and it doesn't make my regular rotation, but it's definitely good enough to have around. Worth a try if you're an anti-Lakeland but just want to dip your toes in those waters.

TartanWilson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TartanWilson (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

6 Years ago I decided I would take my pipe smoking in as a hobby not just a relaxing evening ender. Over these 6 years I have tried to smoke as many different brands and varieties of tobacco as I can. I operate a "don't knock it till you've tried it" policy. This means occasionally I'll buy a tobacco with strong preconceptions about how it will perform.

I expected this tobacco to burn hot, it did not. I expected this tobacco to have a weak almost bran flavour, it did not.

I could not have been more wrong. This tobacco has a rich flavour and is beautiful on the nose out of the tin. This has replaced heavier and latikia based blends as my favourite and go to tobacco.

It's relatively new so I have a few in storage hoping they will become even more beautiful with age.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is a burley-virgina, lakeland style, broken flake. It cool, steady burning, and quite sweet, to my taste. It is similar to Kendal Cream Flake (creamy but sweeter) and Rum Flake (essences but not as dark tasting), and has that rum essence recently favored by Master Pease. However, it is the maple that I believe gives it that lasting sweetness. Unlike most American style aromatics -- not wet, etc. -- but you do need a sweet tooth to favor this baby. It is excellent in its delivery of flavor a plenty.

Peterson's new offering, Hyde Park, greets the nose with a sweet, slightly soapy aroma. The blender chose to wisely use a plastic bag in the tin rather than the traditional paper lining. The tobacco itself is a blend of beautifully broken flakes, some of which are fairly long. Based on the strong tin aroma, my first thought was that Hyde Park would be a full on aromatic. The flakes are moist and will need some dry time, especially if you are not planning on rubbing it out. I generally rub out most blends and this one dried fairly quickly once I had done so. Upon lighting up, it is very apparent that Hyde Park leaves the majority of its tin aroma in the tin. The flavor is mainly of pure tobacco with the topping, somewhat Lakeland like flavor, in a supporting role. I associate the flavor with a light Lakeland more than a traditional (in today's terms) aromatic. It smokes very smoothly with no bite. It is easy to distinguish the Virginia and Burley. Unlike Rum Flake from GH, I find this to have less of a nic hit. HP is more medium in the strength department for my taste. It will be interesting to see what a few years in the cellar will do to the blend. I expect it to age wonderfully. Three and half stars.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (22)
Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I can usually find something good about any tobacco I've tried. This simply wasn't the case with this. The tin note reminded me of Redman Silver. Not exactly what I was expecting. It was a nice quality leaf and packed easily. No stems or such pollutants. The floral soapiness is very strong to me. Not something enjoyable which is strange because I like Lakeland tobaccos. The taste never built or changed. Just the same over powering taste all the way through. Simply not my cup of tea here. I encourage everybody to try this. I hope your experience differs from mine.

Pipe Used: Peterson X220

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was a little taken aback by some of the reviews of this tobacco. So I bought a tin. Opening the tin, I was impressed with the aroma held within. It smelled of dried fuits and berries as well as a hint of some woodiness. The tabacco was both a combination of ribbons and large chunks of flake and felt a wee bit on the dry side, which may be from spending a couple years in the can. It was easy to light and held on right to the bottom of the bowl. I was a bit off-put initially because of a likeness to incense, which thankfully was deemed to be "pepperiness" as described by a previous reviewer, which I turned from being off-put to intrigued. As well a pepper, I tasted mahogany, a touch of highand single malt and maybe a bit of dried prune. The room note was nice, and certainly added another level to the enjoyment of this tobacco. I would gladly recommend this blend and would caution, this is a blend that really stands on its own so try before dismissing.

Pipe Used: Peterson P-tip 313

Age When Smoked: two years unsealed

Purchased From: Jade Smokers Corner Regina

Philip Marc Assad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philip Marc Assad (2)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well this is a pleasant surprise.

There's a wonderful texture upon opening the tin. It's a rough ribbon-like consistency with bits of broken flake here and there, which makes it easy to choose a texture that suits your smoking preferences. I rubbed it out minimally.

The balance of this blend is really striking, with enough nicotine to make it a nice evening blend, but a mild enough flavor not to overpower you in the afternoon. I dried out a bowl's worth when I first opened the tin--smoked it about two hours later, and the flavors were just magnificent. Woodiness and a slight must from the burley are balanced by a tiny hint of tang from the virginias, and the rum and maple sugars just barely evident on the finish, with a natural tasting sweetness on the front-middle of the tongue.

One year later, I reopened the tin and the aroma is far better than it was even the first day. Rustic, natural tobacco aroma with a remarkable sweetness, presumably from the combination of aged virginia leaf and rum. I'm smoking another bowl of this as I write, and not much has changed aside from the moisture content being much more smokable, and the burley taking a bit more of the spotlight. There is still a mild sweetness lingering on the finish, and the nicotine is hitting the back of the throat, and leaving me with a nice little buzz.

I have smoked about 8 bowls in total over the course of a year, and each time it was a pleasure.

Well done!

Pipe Used: Peterson System 305

Age When Smoked: New-1 Year

Purchased From: ThePipeGuys.com

GenericusernameYOB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GenericusernameYOB (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I suppose I tried this blend on the back of the body of favourable reviews on this site. I couldn't say I was best served by them however. As an aside, there are very few tobaccos that I dislike. Apart from Lakelands. More on that follows.

The tin notes were of stewed dark fruits, plum, blackcurrant and a rum high note; reminiscent of Christmas pudding. Packing was fairly straightforward, though required a half hour of drying - it probably could have done with more.

Upon lighting I was immediately taken by a scent I had missed in the tin, what I can now define as a rose incense quality, and, what is that? Toilet water. It appears that Lakeland floral is there to a degree, and being more sensitive than others to its depredations, I immediately doubted my ability to enjoy the tin. I was also getting bitten in earnest. By mid-bowl, the incense was still there, I got a few of the deeper notes of dark fruit, very little tobacco flavour plus I couldn't get away from the florals. Nicotine strength was low, though the smoke was fairly rough and astringent. I also found it very difficult to maintain, and by this point, every relight was an exercise in bite limitation. I tried over the week to have at least a bowl a day to see whether it was my technique that was wanting, but to no avail.

I couldn't persevere and consigned the tin to the back of the cupboard. I revisited it with 8 months of age in a Kilner jar, and the initial moistness was no longer an issue. It had also lost some of the high notes, but was how I remembered it - perhaps a little more spicyness. Unfortunately, the next bowlful was a revisitation of the first, albeit without as much bite and the florals, not as forthright. Staying lit was less of a problem, but the incense remained.

I really wanted to like this blend, but at this stage I abandoned the experiment, and binned the remainder; a first for me. At a guess, room note was probably delicious, but I received no satisfaction from this, my first Peterson's foray. All in all, too much effort, and a flavour profile that doesn't suit my tastes. Vive la difference!

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb billiard

Age When Smoked: 0-8 months

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (53)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin, I really loved how the tobacco is presented. Broken flakes very handsomely packed.

One could see how heavily cased this tobacco is. The smell is of strong sugary/molasses/maple syrup.

However, once it is in the pipe, there is no real aroma out of the smoke, one can feel the sweetness of the tobacco. Not a very strong tobacco. I don't understand why it is marketed as an English blend.

Anyhow, this tobacco is nice, albeit a bit flat in taste and N content. I don' think I will be buying this again, but it is a nice all day tobacco.

Malus Rex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Malus Rex (8)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As for my initial thoughts on this blend, I'd have to say that I'd call it Jekyll & Hyde Park. Admittedly that may bring some to think ill of this blend as they would too closely associate it with the sinister Mr. Hyde; but, perhaps that's not such a bad thing. It is indeed the duality of this blend that I rather came to enjoy. Never quite the same from bowl to bowl. There were times that I'd find myself scoffing at Peterson calling it an English blend only to re-light & find the soapy, sugar smack aromatic side of it's nature had subsided & left behind the subdued English gentleman of impeccable taste. Strange as that may sound it is truly the aromatic traits that can snarl from the blackened bottom of the bowl. The sweetness combines with a nicotine sucker punch to trigger the same unease Robert Louis Stevenson wrote of when peering at the leering face of his Edward Hyde. The burn characteristics & overall quality of this blend are second to none. Take your time in preparing the broken flake as this is not a blend that can or should be rushed. Mind that, do not rush this. This blend will carry you along the gaslit streets of London if you let it. Will it be the bright open avenues of the park? Or will you find yourself in the slums of Whitechapel?

Mateo Torgy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mateo Torgy (7)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A quality, slow and cooler burning tobacco that grew on me by the third or fourth bowl, but not enough to win me over.

The Virginia leaf is nuanced and complemented nicely by the burley. It makes for a good combo, for experienced smokers. The maple and rum sugars are hard to notice. It's a pretty straight forward tobacco. Not deep or complex, it disappoints after the first third of the bowl in that it becomes bitter, bitey and harsh, and ashy quicker than most "English blends." (I still don't know what constitutes an English blend, but I'll trust marketing on this one.)

It's worth trying but it won't make my starting rotation and I likely won't buy a second tin. I wanted to like this blend given the apparent quality of the cut of the tobacco. It looks as good as any tinned leaf I've seen.

For reference, my current rotation consists of Comptons York Full, Dunhill Flake, Dunhill EMP, Dunhill 965, GLP Odyssey, GLP Hados Delight, Lane 1Q/BCA 50/50.

The room note received a thumbs up from my wife.

midna Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
midna (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The name of this tobacco couldn't have been better. Much like Kensington, every smoke is a different walk through the park.

The note on the tin is what you would expect from the label- sugary and rich with a background of rum/ raisin that doesn't carry through to the smoke, especially. On first light the blend is smooth, sweet and floral. Much like stepping into an old Kensington mews house in the early 1900s. Soapy is the wrong word, but certainly hints of perfume and "poshness".

Perhaps this would be a good introduction to the "Lakeland" taste for those curious.

I would not have said the rum accounts for the sweetness, this is very much a background note. In fact I wouldn't have even considered rum were it not for the label. The sweetness seems to come from the tobacco itself and the feeling of the smoke in the mouth. The smoke is cool, rich and dense; very fulfilling, if a little acidic.

The strange thing about this tobacco is that, at least for me, the taste was not pleasant. I have to put it down several times and come back to it because it's quite sickening. Yet still I find myself reaching for it because it's such a curious smoke.

As has been mentioned, the ghostly touch of Lady N waltzes in about 10 minutes into the bowl and grief does she give you a fright. Smoke slowly and with lots of sugary drinks/ snacks.

Speaking of ghosts, Hyde Park has left an odd buttery, nutty taste in the pipe I've been smoking it in. In fact I can smell it across the room right now. This blend could do with an assigned pipe.

Overall, very curious. I don't know whether I would say it was enjoyable for me; the lakeland taste isn't really my cup of tea. But it's an experience. I would recommend trying a sample rather than a full tin.

Wellpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wellpipe (48)
Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow - what a pleasant experience. Room note should please just about anyone. The surprise here is the full tobacco flavor and an unexpected nicotine kick - definitely in the strong category - right up there with Irish Flake. I love the format - broken flake packs nicely and solidly. Quite a combination of flavors. 3 stars for now - to be continued.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff is perhaps the most enjoyable pipe tobacco from Peterson and has become a firm favourite. It has a distinctive, almost hops tasting, flavour. This is splendid and unlike most pipe tobaccos Ive tried. Because of its distinctive aroma and flavour its takes a while to adapt. However this is a quality smoke. You can see from the other reviews how well liked this is. Enjoy!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading all the excellent reviews I had to try this for myself. I called my favorite tobacconist in Toronto(Paul at XCENTRIX)to order a tin. Surprisingly, it arrived in only two days and I picked it up this morning. It was a little wet on first light, but still good. I let it sit for a few hours and relit. The taste is very smooth. My first encounter with the Lakeland scent and very agreeable. The rum and maple are in the background but ever present. Cool smoking and very tasty. This is definitely an aromatic in my book, but of the highest order. For me, I prefer to rub it out completely. I also add a pinch of perique for a little spice. Those who say that G&H produced this wonderful blend are probably correct. Besides the great taste and excellent smoking qualities, there is very little after-taste on my tongue. This is a real gem.

Update: I'm lowering my rating to three stars as this blend has not stood the test of time. Still good but not for me.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Pretty unique smoke. English? I missed the boat on that one. I'm surprised not to see more reviews mention the unmistakeable Lakelands floral characteristics that predominate far more than the tin's own description of the flavoring/scent. In any event, after a couple of tins the initial "wow factor" has subsided and it's now more of a tobacco that I enjoy from time to time just like some similar G & H offerings. I enjoy the shaggy cut and the quality and mix of tobaccos but I'm glad I didn't propose marriage at the early stages of courtship. A bit too floral for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli KS Billiard

Age When Smoked: close to a year

Purchased From: smokingpipes;pipesandcigars

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Seems like Peterson have opened one new play corner within their already wide range of tobacco blends. Hyde Park presents itself as a broken flake, the way of packing (cellophane bag instead the usual paper) and the pouch smell indicates this blend obviously being manufactured by Gawith & Hoggarth. On the first opening, rum flavour dominates, but evaporates soon, remaining with a clear “Lakeland” scent.

Smoking confirms first impressions… what a wonderful smoke ! Strong, slightly nutty flavour and somewhat sweetish, but never gooey, just the fine hint from maple syrup added. Further down the bowl, the Dark Fired takes the leading role, presenting an opulent, but not over-powering smoke, however the nicotine dose should not be underestimated. To my taste memory, Hyde Park carries both, elements from G&H's ‘Rum Flake' and ‘Coniston Cut Plug'.

In conclusion I think “Peterson” (tinned by Kohlhase&Kopp) achieved great success with this quite unique blend ! An impressively tasteful and satisfying tobacco, with significant hints of “Lakeland” aroma, however standing for its own by not being just a copy of something already known. Highly recommended !

I have smoked a whole tin, and conclude that this tobacco might have potential for aging, consequently, several tins went to the “cellar”… Meanwhile cracked another tin… can't stay away from this stuff... !

Rem.: The tin description is a perfect example how confusing "English Blend" oftentimes can be. For those blends commonly understood as being "English", hence containing Oriental and Latakia tobaccos, I personally prefer the expression "Latakia Blend". This might avoid misperceptions.

o3Ho3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
o3Ho3 (28)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

After a week of pure V, I tried for the first time...second time...etc this one.I must say I'm kind of Peterson fan (only kind of) and I was delighted. Till now (after a week of smoking HP) I didn't change my opinion. Anyway I must say burley is not very present here but in a good way; and the rum flavor is wonderful but in the beginning of the bowl. But that doesn't change the feeling and somewhat joy it brings. I recommend this one still...

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Hyde Park is a unique offering from Peterson. It is nothing, by far, close to anything this blender offers. I can't say I detect the maple and rum toppings. The Lakeland soapy aroma dominates the tin note and the smoke but, yes, something sweet emerges here and there.

I did not notice, either, any significant complexification of the smoke as it burned dowm the bowl.

If you like nicotine, Hyde Park is for you. It is almost equal to Irish Flake.

HP burns very well if packed properly. The cut - long and large broken flakes combined with ribbon - is probably what I find most interesting.

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Hyde Park is a very special tobacco. If I opened the tin the first smell was like an after shave. I thought this tobacco would be a heavy english scented tobacco. I like a soapy smoke but it should be not too heavy. So before start smoking I was a bit sceptical. The first bowl I smoked the scented character was really present. But a few days after opening the tin the taste has changed into a very special flavor without an overwhelming scented character. Just made for me. The tobacco base is wonderfull and strong enough for a great smoke. In the meantime I smoke the Hyde Park everyday . This tobacco is a borderliner between aromatic and non aromatic blends. For me an highly recommended mixture.

Betz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Betz (6)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Full Tolerable to Strong

A very strange blend. Claims to be an English, yet not only advertises the use of casings and flavors other than the tobacco itself but also seems to lack components common to English blends. Very strange indeed. Very moist in the tin, so I'd recommend letting it dry out in the open for a few hours. A hearty smoke. Very full taste and decent nicotine content. Flavor is subtle, yet unmistakable. A very slight sweetness is present in each puff, but overall not the tastiest tobacco I've ever had. Hyde Park can be a bit overwhelming if you forget yourself. Room note will be tolerable to those who are used to the scent of tobacco, but don't expect the wife or girlfriend to take too kindly to this one gents... I recommend this to those of you who are looking to diversify your rotation. However, I cannot in good taste recommend this as a steady blend or go-to tobacco. Cheers!

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a change up to say the least. The baccy in the tin has a perfect moisture level which I was suprised to find especially because of the different casings in this mixture. I was a little put off by the plastic wrapper in the tin because historically peterson provides a top notch tin presentation. The smell right out of the tin is sweet with some hints of a nutty, hay thrown in here and there. However thats where that ends, I got alot of a buttery incense taste. Not bad just not what I was expecting. The leaf burned perfect and strait down with 0 relights so like I mentioned the moisture level and baccy are well balanced. HP is is a fine cross breed baccy, I would recommend a try but its quite clear it will either be something you enjoy or it will be so far from what you were expecting that you might be a bit put off.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I love Peterson's, burley and Virginia's, rum and maple, broken flake, Lakeland taste and Gawith and Hoggart....this is all of these, this blend, without a doubt, is made for Peterson by GH or maybe even SG. It even comes in the same plastic bag inside the tin as GW use. As far as I know Petes other blends are made by K&k and Orlik, some by one, some by the latter. These are two of the greatest blenders in Europe today, they can do almost any blend...but not a Lakeland, only GWs distinctive flavor can be produced in their factory with their centuries old presses.

This is a GWs Rum Flake with more burley and more punch and it is total perfection, TOTAL. They have taken on one of my favorite No.1 blends and made it better...in case you haven't heard its all about outsourcing these days, like it or not there's no going back. Well done to two great giants in the pipe smoking world for putting this gem on the shelves. Top marks.

radioisotope Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
radioisotope (17)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

To me the tin note reminds me more of Christmas smells in the home. Pine mixed with fireplace. Upon first light it smells a bit of incense. I smoked this the first time in my Beckler meer. As the bowl progressed the maple started kicking in but with a sweet smokiness. The maple isn't overpowering and there is still a good tobacco flavor. I loved The aroma but surprisingly my wife said it was the stinkiest stuff I ever smoked. She said she would rather me be smoking star of The east, which is saying a lot. I would say nic content was medium. I would recommend letting it dry for awhile before smoking. Packaging was different for a Peterson, it was in plastic instead of the standard paper. I really like this stuff, definitely different than anything I've ever smoked. I highly recommend it.

Medium to Strong Mild Full Pleasant

I agree with much of what the previous two reviewers have said. Toothpaste is a very accurate description of the initial tin note, but I might add that it is very Gawith Hoggarth-like in this respect, as is with the taste. To me, this is very similar to G&H's Rum Flake in terms of taste; and wrapped in a G&H-type plastic bag within the tin as well. It is very Lakeland but without the florals. I believe the maple sugars used are responsible for this smell/taste. Tin note is more soapy than Rum Flake, but Rum Flake has that subtle vanilla hint that Hyde Park does not have. Similar to Rum Flake, if puffed on too hard, there was no real bite, just a sharpness to the tongue. Also, while Rum Flake is by no means strong, this one packs a punch in nicotene (less than Irish Flake but more than Rum Flake). There is a tendency to puff quickly as the flavor is very agreeable, but I advise against it. If I didn't know what this offering was, I would certainly say it was a G&H product - their Rum Flake in particular, but stronger overall. Control your puffing as it can be harsh if pushed. Just as Mac Baren has produced their fine HH Old Dark Fired, a true English blend, so has Peterson's blender, Kolhasse and Kopp (or is it really G&H?). Both are fine examples of blending in the English tradition.

On another note, I taste no Latakia whatsoever, nor was their any evidence of it to me with deep sniffing of the tobacco while in its tin. On Peterson's website, this is no longer listed under Latakia blends, but under traditional blends - that must have been an error that was fortunately corrected. Very smokeable right out of the tin, Peterson has hit a home run with this one. A true smoking delight that is sure to please a wide range of pipe smokers. I solidly recommend Hyde Park without reservation. Its inherent harshness keeps it from 4 stars. Perhaps with age it will mellow somewhat in order for me to raise it to a 4 star blend. However, it is still a very good blend indeed.

wdsmith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wdsmith (11)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

The new offering from Peterson is a "who's who" of component ingredients that appeal most to me. Granted, I was a bit skeptical of the rum and maple flavoring and, when I opened the tin, I felt that I had surely made an error of the utmost gravity. But, as I was into this one for two tins, I loaded up a an old GBD billiard that tends to do well with tobaccos of this type, and set match to the leaf. What a splendid surprise! Nowhere to be found was the rum and maple, save for a faint trace. What was there, however, was a wonderful symphony of deep, musty dark-fired flavor. I immediately thought of my favorite Peterson blend, Irish Flake. But, almost as quickly as the dark- fired flavor had emerged, it disappeared thus allowing a sweeter, Virginia flavor to pop in for a brief chat. This back and forth seemed to be the norm throughout the bowl. Perhaps due to the salmagundi of tobacco cuts. There seems to be everything from broken flake to cubed cut and ribbon. While both visually appealing and, conducive to a complexity of flavor, the cut may seem vexing to some. Do not let this stop you from enjoying the blend. One can simply stuff the pipe straight from the tin or, fully rub out the leaf. Both methods will leave you completely satisfied. A word of warning, though; the nicotine in this one, while not as profound as Irish Flake, will sneak up on you if you puff mindlessly, caught up in the pleasure of the moment. In short buy this one. You will be glad you did.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a coarse cut ready rubbed, more like wild cut half flakes and when I opened the tin I found them to be too damp. Initially, I was a little put off by a faint toothpaste-like smell but now that my recently opened tin has been aired, this is gone. Smell deeply for a lovely potpouri of fire-cured tobacco's, maple, a little rum, a little chocolate but most of all, pure tobacco. Because not all the ready rubbed flakes seem of consistent composition, sometimes the sweetness of Virginia prevails, sometimes the sheer bruteness and strength of Burley but to me, I find this very appealing. There is a nice saltiness from the fire-cured tobacco's, a very good overall body, a slight sweetness from the maple (and rum) and a very decent level of nicotine. This will appeal to smokers of English flakes or ready rubbed. A very satisfying smoke! Rob

Sha-moke Anna Pancake Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sha-moke Anna Pancake (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Not bad. Pretty good actually. Grabbed it out of a "$5 Tin With Any Pipe Purchase" box on the counter. Allow me to warn you however that this is my very first review as I am new to pipe smoking. For me, considering the miniscule yet growing portfolio of tobaccos I've tried thus far, this blend has been rather enjoyable; went through then entire tin in less than a week, in fact. I won't ruin this report by delving into mindless attempts at impressing the readers with poorly delivered pipe lingo. Let me just say simply: Not too shabby at all.

Pipe Used: Savinelli - Roma

Age When Smoked: Fresh off the shelf

Purchased From: Cigar Chateau

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (46)

Hyde Park is as unique as the clear plastic bag you see when you open this tin. The blend is rich brown and sticky and reminds me of the texture and smell of a pouch of chewing tobacco. I have yet let some see drying time as it didnt strike me so much as being wet but purposely moist and sticky as if Peterson intended it should be.

So in the bowl it went.

This was an unsual experince and not what I was expecting at all. Peterson threw me a change up after all the burning hot ribbon fastballs. Hyde Park is a thick broken flake sticky slow burning experience with a unique flavor.

I have smoked five bowls and honestly I'm still trying to figure out what is going on with this tobacco and what I'm smelling and experiencing. I CAN say I like it but so far HP hasn't wowed me. It's rich, deep, warm, pleasent with a dash of spice (not pepper) and conjures up visions of fine deep red mahogany furniture in a London townhome. I find I must press on with this uniquely tasting blend and see what else happens.

Review Addition: I let the tobacco dry and it brought out the individual flavors letting me distinguish the Rum and the Molasses. This is a delicious and unique flavored tobacco. To me, the taste can be described leather. Though I've now determined it's not a personal favorite or possibly a future purchase. It's a decent blend from Peterson and I do recommend everyone try it at least once.

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Nothing I've yet experienced..

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (16)

Bought in Switzerland in 2013, at average price for good quality tobaccoes. It comes in an usual round tin and an unusual plastic inside, at opening is a broken flake (a bit too thin) with correct moisture, but flavour (good) is not as you expect about a declared english blend, even if corrected with rum.

Flavour: maple and rum, surely, and something else I cannot recognize... a bit sweet, yes, but quite good

Taste: not english, surely not aromatic in the danish way, but elegant (maybe a little on the flat side...); it's not enough strong, by me.

Room note: no problem, really.

Burning: easy lighting, a little bit fast, but OK.

I tryed several Peterson's tobaccoes, and it's amazing discover that all of them are very well manufactured and good enough, but none I experienced is really impressive. Somewhat recommended...

Age When Smoked: not seasoned

Purchased From: Dubini, Switzerland

thesillyoldbear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesillyoldbear (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Hyde Park is a weird one, personally I love it, the base tobaccos are all excellent and the cut is nice but the plastic bag was a little off putting and I think it keeps the moisture in a little too well. HP really does benefit from being dumped in a mason jar and being left for minimum one month.

The maple and rum sugars can be a little cloying but if sipped slowly in a pipe with a smaller bowl, or even better a cob, it makes a really nice short, sweet smoke especially with black coffee. I've been on the same tin for four months so it's not an everyday smoke but when I do pull it out I always enjoy it.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat, Falcon, 'Imperial' sandgrain bulldog

Ryanrulz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ryanrulz (1)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

30can in my storage~! The 1 n only peterson i like~!