This is one of the tastiest mixtures in this group. It's beautiful to look at due to the wide range of cust and colors, black being the dominant one. The taste is a mixture of spicy, creamy, sweet, and sour. I also find a consistent "salty" taste, which I really like. It burns so well till the last shred, and it makes an ideal all day smoke. The ash is so fine and a light shade of gray. It's very low on nicotine, at least to me.

Notes: A "Modern English" Mixture

BrandSchürch
Blended ByHans Schurch
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
CountryCH
Strength
Taste

Marcassite arrives a bit on the moist side of things with a wonderful pouch scent of a “high end” aromatic. The appearance is of a typical full English blend. Blender Hans Schurch places his blends into three categories; English, Modern English, and Aromatic. Marcassite is listed as a Modern English by Synjeco, the only place where Schurch blends can be found on the net. The taste profile reminds me of another Modern English blend by Schurch called Moschita. However the casing on this seemed to be applied with a heavier hand. Fortunately, Marcassite, like the other Modern English's smells much stronger in the pouch than in the smoke itself and smokes similar to the blend description. To my nose there is a fruity, figgy scent. I am not sure the percentage of Latakia in this mostly dark blend, but there is a fair amount of it, which plays off of the Cavendish's sweetness. I do not taste the described “saltiness.” Due to the heavier casing, I find Marcassite to fall further into the aromatic English category than the others I have tried in Schurch's Modern English stable and not an everyday smoke for me as some of the other Modern English's could be. With that said, this unique blend is very well done using high quality leaf and sauces. Three and a half stars!