Bentley Old London is the first Latakia mixture of Bentley. Traditionally made from selected Virginia grade, fine oriental tobaccos, and a touch of spicy Kentucky. This mixture is enhanced with a generous amount of Latakia.

Notes: The name was changed from Old London to The London Pine in 2015

BrandBentley
Blended ByDan Tobacco
ContentsKentucky, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Strong
Medium None Detected Full Strong

From a company like Bentley, a strong English is a bit of a surprise to me. I like good surprises, so I tried it.

The tin aroma is similar to that of Timm London Blend 1000 or DTM Holly's Discovery: strong Latakia-based blends, but in this case with some KY to add Oomph and a touch more Orientals. The tobacco in the tin is long ribbons, with shorter bits of Latakia in there; stuffing is easy, as is lighting.

In my usual Lat-Bomb pipes, this blend comes over fully savoury-sweet in taste; the room note is the usual Latakia disaster (I love it, all other English-blend smokers love it, rest of the world convenes a firing squad), so you have been warned. The Orientals make it a bit less offensive.

This blend burns down to a voluminous, mottled ash that has no condensation in it; there is enough strength to keep me interested, but unfortunately, at EUR 12.50, this is on the upper end of the price scale where I live. There are similar blends available that are much more affordable. But if you can get it for a fair price, by all means try it; this is an excellent English/Balkan blend!

Bentley - Old London/The London Pine.

This is a little different to most Latakia blends as the Latakia offers more of a subtle addition rather than a huge kick of smokiness!

As mine was ordered in a loose pouch I don't know how wet or dry it would be direct from the tin but this arrived perfect. By the look of the mix there has been quite a fair amount of all the different varieties of weed included. I find it hard to obtain much in the way of a pre-light aroma, it just has a really slight cedar/woody note.

Lighting up this blend is a simple task and now I'll mention my initial point: the Latakia is no where near as strong as I often find it can be in Lat' blends. Rather than giving me an almost putrid smokiness I get a very subtle woody taste from it; this works great with the nuttiness from the Kentucky and the Virginias fresh grass flavour. I wonder what they mean by a 'generous' amount of Latakia? Now, Sam G' Balkan flake is what I think of as being generous and this isn't in that league!

I can't say I get much nicotine from this. It's mild unless it's really pushed and then it only manages medium.

I find this alright but I couldn't award it any more than two stars, it's just a bit boring!

Somewhat recommended.