President Martin Van Buren was born in Kinderhook, NY, and his nickname of Old Kinderhook led to the term OK. This blend is a fragrant and sweet mixture of Burley, Virginia and toasted black Cavendish with a great cherry flavor and aroma, without the typical bite of cherry blends. You, and everyone around you, will think this is much more than just OK.

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
FlavoringCherry
Packaging1.5oz Tin, 8oz Tin
Strength
Very Mild, Mild
Taste
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.5
Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

Due to my respect for Russ Ouilette's blending mastery I was hesitant to leave this negative review. I feel like maybe the defect is with me but I don't think so. There is nothing I can really say positive about this blend and I have always enjoyed a good cherry blend. The cherry flavor is lightly applied and doesn't taste very natural. The flavor is rather flat and leaves an unpleasant aftertaste in my mouth. Me thinks there is just too much burley in here for my tastes. I prefer Virginia based blends. I'll just stick with Russ's non-aromatic offerings which have all been great. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Oh Well!!

SteveVA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SteveVA (1)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Sadly, Old Kinderhook is no more. The good folks over at Pipes & Cigars confirmed that it was discontinued. To be honest, I purchased this based on the name but was pleasantly surprised. I'm not usually a cherry aromatic smoker, but this was different. The tin aroma was pleasant, sweet and slightly fruity with some lingering nut and vanilla notes lurking in the background. I can honestly say, Old Kinderhook was the mildest cherry aromatic I have ever smoked. I've had some doozies in the past that smelled like the old Luden's Cough drops or cherry Twizzlers!

This tobacco was a wonderfully soft smoke, had a great room note and an intriguing sweet-nutty flavor. You could smoke this tobacco like a blast furnace and it wouldn't bite. This wasn't a complex tobacco, but it was a flavorful, dry, all-day smoke that never became cloying or bitter towards the bottom on the bowl. I will miss it.

Pipe Used: Jellings Standard Canadian