The Circle is often considered the center of NY’s Capital region and you’ll be the center of attention after you light up. When we combine the soft nuttiness of premium Burleys with the sweetness of Virginia and add the familiar warmth of maple and a hint of rum, the result is Latham Circle. Let this blend take you back to the “good old days” with its comforting flavor and aroma.

BrandHearth & Home
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
georgariou33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
georgariou33 (16)

nice flavor, good smell, mild to med...no tongue bite aqnd easy on the mouth..a very nice smoke for all...can be smoked at ant time of day

Pipe Used: big ben and stanwell only

Age When Smoked: 70

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: none.

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A wonderful aroma awaits those that procure a tin of Hearth and Home’s Latham Circle. Upon opening the tin I am greeted with the sweet aroma of maple, rum, vanilla, and honey. The tobacco itself is of good quality with no twiggy or woody bits in the blend, and the cut is a consistent fine ribbon of dark reddish Virginias and deep brown Burleys. The moisture level of the tobacco is a little more moist than I like, so before loading the bowl, I tend to set some of the tobacco out to air dry for twenty to thirty minutes. Due to the fine ribbon cut, the tobacco is easy to load, and takes a charring light with little to no fuss once dry. At first light I am able to detect the vanilla and honey flavors, followed by the maple and spicy rum. The flavors that have been applied to the tobacco are very inviting, and are easy enough to detect throughout the smoke, however, they are strong enough that they tend to overpower the natural taste of the tobacco itself. For example, I am not able to detect the naturally sweet notes of the Virginias, and there is absolutely no nuttiness from the Burley in the blend at all. This may not be a bad thing for those that like to taste the flavors that they smell when they pop open a fresh tin of tobacco, but for me at least, I like to taste the natural flavors of the tobacco as well. Here was my biggest hang up with the tobacco, tongue bite. It did not matter how slowly I smoked this blend, it didn’t matter how long I let the tobacco dry before smoking, and I tried several different packing methods packing tighter each time in hopes that it would burn slower, and tried using several different pipes, but no matter what I tried, this blend lit my tongue on fire. Burn characteristics were great, and regardless of how tightly I packed the tobacco and how slowly I smoked it, it stayed lit and burned down to the bottom of the bowl leaving a fine white ash. Room note was again great, and those around me often commented on how much they actually enjoyed the smell. The tobacco is not what I would consider to be a gloopy aromatic so the pipe was easy enough to clean when I had completed each bowl, and only required that I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and around the inside of the bowl to remove any moisture that may have remained after I had dumped the ash. Overall, a quality aromatic, containing quality tobaccos, that taste as they smell in the tin, but again, I just never found a way to smoke this blend without getting the dreaded tongue bite. I would recommend this tobacco to any aromatic smoker that has the ability to tame tongue bite and enjoys strong flavors.

Pipe Used: various briars